Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Dedication ❯ Signs of Stress ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

*bows over and over* I am terribly sorry for lack of updates, but I was too busy being an idiot all summer to remember!! I promise this story, as well as 'Mai's Love Story' will be updated regularly now! Once again, I apologize!!

On another note, I was wondering, has anyone written an Isis/Rishid story? I mean, they're not related or anything, he's just a servant of the family, a really close one. *shrugs* just curious…

***

The entire ride home was comfortable silence, Seto seemed perfectly content in it, while Isis herself stared dully out the window, clearly agitated and wondering just how much a wrecker and a car repair would cost. 'I should just get a new car, it would be nice…' The woman thought, taking a quiet, long breath in.

"So Isis, how are you enjoying living in Domino so far?" Mokuba asked cheerfully.

"Oh, it's nice. I enjoy the marketing here better. Things aren't such a hassle, everything is so convenient. But I do miss Egypt greatly."

"Yeah, nothings better than home." His smile faltered a bit, causing Isis to cast her glance from the window to the young boy.

"Something wrong?"

"Nothing at all! So is Malik going to go to Domino High? It's right across from my school, maybe he could meet us up there with Yugi and the others after school to walk home?"

"I told you I won't have you walking home, especially not with that group of idiots; they'll spoil your mind." Seto snapped acidicly. A thin eyebrow rose gracefully on Isis' face.

"…" Deciding the stay out of it, she looked back out the window, pretending not to be there out of respect.

"There's nothing wrong with them, Seto! You can be so… so… pig headed sometimes!" Mokuba came back, grinning at his own choice of words. Seto was stunned, even Isis turned to look at the brunette.

"We'll talk about this more when we get home." Seto finished, noticing his 'guests' uncomforted silence.

"Um, well… actually the first week of school he's going to be testing out of any classes. He's actually very advanced for his age; I'm really not sure what he's planning."

"Oh, that's cool, one day I'll do something like that to when I get into high school. What about Merik?"

"Well…" Isis had to choose her words carefully to answer this question without confusing the boy. "We registered his name and everything, including a date of birth. He's seventeen… according to him, so he's deciding not to go to school."

((a/n: Is it like that in Japan? I know were I live the laws been changed so that when your seventeen you can drop out…oh well, this IS a fanfiction after all. On with the story again, sorry!!))

"Oh…" Mokuba looked surprised by this, clearly never having come across a drop out or anyone that hadn't gone to school before.

"He'll be fine though." Isisadded for his comfort. Unnecessary worrying wasn't needed.

"I know, he's a tough guy…" Mokuba smiled.

"… Seto, I was wondering, I am having a welcoming party at my house this Friday with the boys. Everyone we know will be there, including some people from work. It should be eventful, and since you were so kind as to do all of this for me, I would like to invite you and Mokuba to the party…"

"You act like it would be something great to go to and not torture-"

"Oh come on Seto! It'll be fun!" Mokuba pleaded.

"…" Isis cast her penetrating gaze down to the younger Kaiba, deciding to help him out, after all, she could only wonder when the last time the boy got to 'hang out' with some real people, other than the suites Seto always had around. She looked back up at Seto. "It would also be rather educational for Mokuba, being the fact that a lot of my collueges will be there, he could learn a bit about Egypt… even India as well."

"…fine." Seto looked back out the window, clearly in no mood to talk.

At the word 'educational', Mokuba looked slightly flustered at Isis, who knew that look all too well. Malik used to give her that look years ago when he didn't want to study from the scrolls, or hear their father lecture. She winked, a gesture that gave a thousand explanations to contradict what she said. He grinned happily and turned to look out the window once more.

A slight jerk upward in the car signaled that they were pulling up to the extravagant driveway of Isis' home. A stop meant they were in front of the house. She gathered her bags.

"Thank you Seto. I do hope to see you Friday night." He turned to glare at her dryly.

"I'll be looking forward to it." A slight curl of his upper lip told her otherwise.

"See you then Isis! Tell the others I said 'hey'!" Mokuba waved as she smiled, shutting the door behind her.

The Egyptian woman made her way up to the house door, fishing keys out of her purse, only to look up as the door swung open halfway through her purse.

"Isis! Where were you?" Malik asked, confused.

"Oh, my car stalled… and-"

"Really? I told you that piece of junk would give out any day now." Came the deep voice of Merik, who was walking through the hallway into the living room.

Isis let out a much needed breath to relieve the tension building up within her. Dragging the full load of four heavy grocery bags with her, she stumbled her way into the kitchen and allowed the bags to loudly slam against the marble countertops, revealing a few emotions no one knew Isis was capable of having. Merik and Malik were currently in the living room, bickering about some game console and the TV. Sighing, she heard a small 'beep!' and decided to check her messages. She pushed the largest button upon the phone cradle to play the blinking one message.

"Isis, its Samuel. It was wondering if you'd call us back A.S.A.P. We have some business to talk about, it's rather urgent. You know my cell number."

The ambassador felt rather surprised. Samuel was a nice guy, easy going and very friendly. However, his tone on the message seemed stressed and full of anxiety.

"I wonder what has happened to make him so stressed out?" Taking a deep breath, the Egyptian decided to call her college tomorrow morning, tonight being too late. She leaned against the countertop, currently frustrated with more than a few things.

"Isis-sama, please let me cook tonight. You look stressed; you should take a warm shower to sooth your mind. When you are finished, I'll have dinner prepared. Please." He ushered her gently out of the kitchen, nothing but concern in his eyes, as well as something else that she couldn't quite place a finger on. She nodded, grateful to have Rishid around.

"Thank you, Rishid. I will always be eternally grateful for your help, always." She smiled and left the room, the tall man housing a soft look for her.

***

Stepping out of the shower, Isisdried herself off with a fluffy white towel while tying her hair up with another. Putting jasmine scented lotion upon her skin and a silky pajama set of long pants and matching sleeveless shirt, she headed back into her bathroom to pull the towel out of her hair and to hurriedly run a brush through the ebony locks. After tying a black hair tie to her hair in a low pony tail, she headed out into the dining room.

"Ugh, you smell." Merik said, wrinkling his nose in distaste as he filled his plate up with food.

"I believe she smells like a girl, baka." Malik countered, sipping his drink. "I think you're gay."

"Yeah right." Was all the yami had to say, after glaring daggers at his hikari.

"I think Isis-sama smells nice." Rishid said quietly, looking down at his dinner plate.

"Well, we know there are three of us in this room that are straight." Malik chuckled, enjoying the look of hatred his yami was giving him.

"Just because I'm not a fan of everything floral doesn't mean I'm gay, moron."

Smiling, Isisdecided it was time for a change of conversation.

"Wow, this is delicious!" She sighed happily. Rishid was right, a warm bath and good food were exactly what she needed to feel better spiritually, mentally and physically.

"Thank you."

"I should have you cook more often!" She smiled warmly at the man across from her. He looked a little embarrassed, being bombarded with so many compliments at once.

"I wouldn't mind it at all, Isis."

"Now all I have to worry about is just what I am going to do with this house for the party…" Isis said, glancing at the 'boys' around her.

"We could go to the store tomorrow and pick a few things up, food mostly." Malik offered, being the fact that he could drive now.

"Sounds good." Isis agreed, nodding in approval. After all, she would need something really nice to impress her guests with… for even Seto Kaiba would be there.