Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Little Dagger ❯ Troubles ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi All!
 
 
Here's the fourth chap. Hope it's okay.
 
 
YoukaiLuvr
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
Little Dagger
 
 
Chapter 4 - Troubles
 
 
While the rest of the room peppered the trio on stage with questions, one table was completely silent. Yuugi just sat there next to Anzu, keeping a watchful eye on her. Her reaction to Liikos' appearance really had him worried.
 
 
Here was a girl - correction, a woman - who had stood by his side and faced the likes of Malik, Dartz, and Zorc without batting an eye, and yet this one businessman was enough to upset her this much?? Something wasn't right and Yuugi had the distinct feeling he was the only one at their table who didn't know what it was.
 
 
Anzu and the girls hadn't said anything for nearly ten minutes since Liikos walked on stage and it was starting to worry Yuugi.
 
 
“A-Anzu?” She turned to head to look at him.
 
 
“Are you alright?” he asked gently.
 
 
The concern in his voice and on his face was almost enough for her to throw caution to the wind and say `No, actually, I'm not. You see that new guy up on stage, Liikos? Yeah, him. Thanks to that bastard, I'm the reason your parents are dead.' But her rational mind caught up to her mouth before she could spill everything.
 
 
“Yeah,” she said, pasting a smile on her face that didn't reach her eyes. “I just became a space cadet for a few minutes there.” Seeing him relax slightly, she continued.
 
 
“What do you all say we get out o-”
 
 
She was cut-off by a round of applause. Liikos, Kaiba, and Pegasus were waving good-bye to the crowd as they walked off backstage. Well, Kaiba was just walking away as usual, but Liikos and Pegasus were definitely seemed to be enjoying the attention.
 
 
BOOM
 
CRASH
 
 
The trio was within a yard of the backstage curtain when a loud crashing sound stopped them in their tracks.
 
 
“What the…” said Kaiba, for once, as confused as everyone else.
 
 
Well, as confused as everyone but two people. Not five seconds later, two large holes were broken in both the floor and the wall to the right of the stage. Odd looking creatures began to pour out of the newly created entryways. These creatures were huge, each about a foot taller than Kaiba, and ugly as heck.
 
 
Insectoid in appearance with their outer shell a mottled green/brown color, their squashed heads were barely supported by their short necks; a set of razor-sharp pinchers were attached to the tops of their head and the ends of the arms. By the looks of the tunnel and what was visible of the city street, they also had some sort of fire-creating capability, for there were too many fires to be caused by damage alone.
 
 
The creatures started to stomp around, sending guests fleeing in a blind panic for their lives. The instant the walls had fallen, Anzu's entire table was on its feet, ready to act. As if she had expected something like this to happen, Anzu started to give out orders.
 
 
“Moira, Anna - you start getting people out of here through the front entrance. Brit, Corin - you take people out through backstage. Use your monsters if you have to, but for guidance and defense only! Leave the offense to me.”
 
 
The four girls nodded, paired up, and headed for opposite ends of the ballroom, pulling their duel decks from hidden pockets in their kimonos as they did so.
 
 
“Anzu,” said Yuugi, calling her attention back to him.
 
 
“Don't tell me you intend to try to fight a dozen of these creatures on your own?!”
 
 
She nodded. “I've fought these things before and won, so I'll just do it again.”
 
 
Yuugi couldn't believe this. “Then at least let me fight with you!”
 
 
Anzu stared at him.
 
 
“Yuugi,” she said slowly. “If you do this, if you fight with us now, there's no changing your mind. If you decide down the road that things get too dangerous, you can't back out. You're stuck with us from now on.”
 
 
She was half-hoping he'd reconsider his decision and say no. It would be tougher without him on her and the girls, but at least he'd be safe. Anzu had barely finished that thought when Yuugi answered.
 
 
“Anzu,” he said. “You've got to be crazy if you think I'd ever back out on you. Not when you stood next to me for all those years. I'm staying to fight.”
 
 
Anzu smiled gratefully. “Thank you.”
 
 
I just hope you don't regret that choice, she thought.
 
 
Pulling out Dark Magician Girl and Magician of Faith, she turned to face the twelve creatures that were currently destroying the room. Yuugi watched as she held the cards up and called their names.
 
 
“Dark Magician Girl! Magician of Faith!”
 
 
He barely had time to wonder where she got the Dark Magician Girl before a bright light shot out from the two cards, causing him to shield his eyes. When the light had faded, the forms of the two monsters stood before him.
 
 
Immediately, Anzu's two duel monsters herded nine of the twelve creatures into a tight, easily contained, circle, leaving three for Yuugi. Yuugi reached into his deck and pulled out Obnoxious Celtic Guardian.
 
 
Summoning him, Yuugi ordered his guardian to attack. The guardian, ever loyal to his master, rushed forward to charge the creature nearest him….
 
 
Only to be stopped in his tracks by Anzu's Magician of Faith.
 
 
“Yuugi, no!” cried Anzu, still directing her Dark Magician Girl in her fight against the remaining five creatures - four had been destroyed already. He looked at her in confusion.
 
 
“Look around at the monsters we're using. What do they have in common?”
 
 
Yuugi looked around.
 
 
Dark Magician Girl.
 
 
Magician of Faith.
 
 
Moira's Skilled Dark Magician.
 
 
Brittany's Rapid Fire Magician.
 
 
Corin's White Magician.
 
 
Anna's Apprentice Magician.
 
 
Then it hit him.
 
 
“They're all spellcasters!”
 
 
Anzu nodded.
 
 
“Right. Unless a monster has `spellcaster' as at least one of its attributes, it won't have any effect on these things.”
 
 
So that was why she told me to keep Dark Magician handy, thought Yuugi.
 
 
Recalling Celtic Guardian, he summoned Dark Magician in it's place. Together, the two old friends and their three magicians made short work of the remaining creatures just as the other four guided the last of the guests to safety. The six humans regrouped, recalling their duel monsters as they did so.
 
 
“So what now?” said Brittany.
 
 
“We'll go back to the studio for now,” said Anzu.
 
 
“But how will we get there?” asked Moira. “Mokuba said everyone who was a guest was brought in a limo.”
 
 
“Speak of the devil,” said Anna, elbowing her sister in the side. Mokuba himself had just come running back into the ballroom through the front doors.
 
 
“Moira! Anzu!” he yelled. He came up to where they were standing. “You're all okay! I would have stayed and helped, but I got pulled along by the crowd.”
 
 
Mokuba made a face with his last statement; Moira couldn't help but giggle a little, causing him to blush a little.
 
 
“But seriously guys, this isn't good. Apparently, Seto, Pegasus, and Liikos don't want to take the chance that this will happen again at one of the company locations, so they're splitting up. Seto's staying here - he can handle New Yorkers the best. Pegasus is going to watch our European branch, where he'll be in his element, and Liikos will be heading the Domino branch.”
 
 
Anzu started. “Wha-What? Liikos is going back to Domino?!”
 
 
Mokuba nodded. “Yeah, at least from what I understand, and I was in the meeting with them just a moment ago.”
 
 
Anzu exchanged a look with her dancers, one that didn't escape Yuugi's notice.
 
 
“Anyway,” continued Mokuba, pulling Anzu from her worry. “All of the guests are accounted for and none have more than a few minor scratches, thanks to you guys and your quick actions. I don't know how we can thank you.”
 
 
Anzu and Yuugi looked at each other, then back at Mokuba with identical grins.
 
 
“Actually,” said Yuugi. “We have a small idea.”
 
 
Mokuba just stared at the two of them. “Okay, what?”
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
About ten minutes later, Yuugi, Anzu, Moira, Brittany, Corin, and Anna were all seated in the latest model silver minivan emblazoned on both sliding doors with the KCI2 logo.
 
 
The van was a loan from Mokuba as a thank-you for their efforts in the evacuation. Seto was against buying a fleet of vans for the company in the first place, but Mokuba won out in the end, using the surprising amount of men and cargo they could haul for their price as an argument to win him over.
 
 
Once they were back at the studio, Anzu turned to Yuugi.
 
 
“Yuugi, I thank you so much for your help tonight, but because of that, you won't be safe alone. You'll heave to stay here with us. Moira?”
 
 
The tall girl turned to her teacher.
 
 
“Could you take Yuugi to his hotel to gather his things?” She nodded.
 
 
“This way, Yuugi,” said Moira, walking to the door to the garage.
 
 
After they left, Anzu turned to the other girls.
 
 
“Corin, it's been a while seen we ate, and we really didn't eat a lot when we did. Could you fix us a quick snack?”
 
 
Corin nodded and headed for the kitchen. Anzu turned to Brittany next.
 
 
“Brit, could you get online and find me two tickets for the next flight to Domino, Japan?”
 
 
“Sure thing; mind if it's a red-eye?” she asked.
 
 
“No, just as soon as possible. Thanks,” said Anzu as Brittany walked to the computer.
 
 
“Anna, I need your help in rearranging schedules,” Anzu said, walking over to her desk and pulling up an extra chair.
 
 
“I'm going to be out of town for a while, and that means everyone will have to step up their classes. Moira will take over mine, Brit will take Moira's, Corin will take Brittany's, and you will take Corin's.”
 
 
Anna, who was sitting in the chair next to Anzu, paled a bit.
 
 
“I'm teaching a class?”
 
 
Anzu smiled at her. “Yes. I've actually been meaning to start you on one for a while now, so this is as good a time as any.”
 
 
Anna still looked a bit worried. Anzu put her arm around the younger girl. This conversation was rather like one Anzu had had with Hikari years ago - well, if you forget the ugly-as-heck creatures, the fighting for your life, and the shadows from your past coming back to haunt you - when Hikari had told a twenty-something Anzu that she'd be teaching her first class the next week.
 
 
“Don't worry, Anna. You'll do fine. You know why?”
 
 
Anna shook her head.
 
 
“Because I see a lot of me in you. Young, lots of talent, headstrong, and yet, you don't have a whole lot of confidence in yourself, at least as a teacher. I know when I had my first class, I didn't believe I could do it, but I did. And it's a good thing I stuck with it, because you four girls were in my third class.”
 
 
Anzu's words seemed to cheer Anna up a bit and just in time too, for Yuugi and Moira returned within a few minutes. Moira took Yuugi's things to the guest room and set up the bed for him. Brittany came in to the living room where everyone was seated.
 
 
“Anzu, the next flight to Domino that I could get two tickets on leaves at six-thirty am, so you have to be there at about five am.”
 
 
Anzu looked up at the clock on the wall then back at Brittany.
 
 
“Thank you, Brit.” Anzu turned to Yuugi.
 
 
“It's about midnight here, what would it be back home?”
 
 
Yuugi thought for a moment. “I guess about eight or nine at night, why?”
 
 
Anzu didn't answer, just picked up the cordless phone from it's cradle on the table next to her, and dialed a very familiar number. The phone rang a few times before it was picked up.
 
 
“Yello,” said a male voice on the other end. It was obvious that the voice had a New York accent, which was odd considering Anzu had just dialed back home to Domino, Japan.
 
 
“Jou?” said Anzu, not entirely sure what his reaction would be.
 
 
“Anzu? Dat really you?” He sounded glad, at least.
 
 
“Yeah, it's me,” she said.
 
 
“Wow,” Jounouchi said. “It's great ta hear from you! Hang on just one second and I'll get Mai on da line too - she just finished puttin' lil' Hojo to bed.”
 
 
Anzu was quiet for a moment, listening to the noise on the other end of the line. Then a female voice, sounding slightly older than Anzu, came on the line along with Jounouchi.
 
 
“Hey, Anzu!”
 
 
“Hello, Mai. How are you and the kids?”
 
 
The typical small talk catch-up conversation continued for a few minutes, then Anzu spoke up with her reason for calling.
 
 
“Hey guys, I have a question. Something really serious has come up over here, so Yuugi and I are coming back to Domino tomorrow. I need to tell you what's going on before you find out in ways you shouldn't, so do you think we could stay at your house for a few days?”
 
 
There was silence for all of two seconds before Mai answered for the both of them.
 
 
“Of course you can! We'll put the girls together and put you in Eri's room, and Yuugi can have the sofa bed.”
 
 
Jou spoke up, his voice low and worried. “Anzu, are you in any type of trouble? You know we're here for ya, right?”
 
 
Anzu smiled slightly. “Yeah, I know, and believe me, I appreciate it. I would tell you what's going on right now, but I'm not comfortable discussing it at all, much less over the phone.”
 
 
Mai took over the conversation again. “We understand, hun. You said you're coming in tomorrow? What time does your flight get in here?”
 
 
Anzu thought for a moment, converting time zones. “About twelve or so, I think.”
 
 
Jou was the one to respond this time. “We'll both be at work and the kids'll be in school, but Shizuka can pick ya up. She's got a key da the house, so she can let ya in and stay wid ya `til we all get home.”
 
 
“That sounds great,” said Anzu, relieved. “I can't thank you guys enough.”
 
 
“No worries,” said Mai. “After all, what are friends for?”
 
 
They chatted for a few more minutes then hung up. Anzu turned back to Yuugi.
 
 
Running a hand through her hair, she said, “We'd better get in bed - we'll need our sleep for tomorrow.”
 
 
Yuugi could see that she was exhausted and stressed - not a good combination. On impulse, he stepped toward her and hugged her. Anzu was surprised at first, but allowed herself, if only for a moment, to forget the problems that had been plaguing her for the past several months and melted into his embrace.
 
 
“Yuugi, I…” Anzu couldn't really get out much more than that.
 
 
“Anzu,” said Yuugi, his voice low and gentle. “I know you don't want me to know what's wrong right now, but I just want you to know that I'm here for you, and I always will be.”
 
 
Anzu's head shot up at that statement. She pulled back, out of his arms, saying, “Don't make promises you can't keep.”
 
 
Yuugi stared at her, trying to figure out what could have caused the sudden change. “Well then, goodnight Anzu.”
 
 
“Goodnight Yuugi.”
 
 
They parted ways and headed to their separate bedrooms to get some much-needed sleep before their flight. Neither one fell asleep quickly, however, both thinking too much about what had just transpired.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 457890-
 
 
For the creatures that invaded the gala, think of a cross between a Pincer from Pokémon and the Blast-ended Skrewts from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire then put the thing on steroids…you get the idea....
 
 
Iknow I fudged the flight times and time difference, but you'll have to deal with it - I'm too lazy to work out the details of a 25-hour time difference and an 18-20 hour flight.
 
 
So, what do you think? I hope it's getting better.
 
 
YoukaiLuvr