Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Millennium Dark ❯ Breaking down the walls ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5 "Break down the walls."

Author's notes: Wow, another update? No, I haven't gotten off school yet, I've just found time to myself and I'm being productive! Good-bye writer's block! *Sigh* In three weeks though I'm off on Christmas break…Please review. Just a note: This chapter takes place after both bands have returned to Tokyo, just when Bakura has walked out of the studio. The first part with Mai and Tristan goes as is, and when it switches to Bakura, just imagine it's earlier in that same day. Sorry for the confusion!

* * *

Tristan Taylor glanced nervously at the blonde manager, as she had done nothing but pace back and forth thinking to herself for the past hour. The brunette male shifted slightly, wondering what had preoccupied Mai's attention for such a long period of time. He was beginning to wonder if she had forgotten his presence completely. Finally, he couldn't stand the silence anymore, so Tristan said, "Mai…you called me here to go over ML's agenda. You haven't said two words to me since I walked in. What's up?"

Sadly enough, he didn't get an answer as Mai walked to the window of her office in the high-rise building. She just stared out at the Tokyo landscape with expressionless purple eyes. Tristan called her name a few more times, but to no avail. Mai's mind was somewhere else, and wherever it was, it wasn't coming back for a while. Tristan then got up and left, knowing there were more pressing matters to be taken care of. Mai didn't notice.

Mai sighed and put a manicured hand on the previously clean window. Clenching them into a fist, she put her forehead against the cold glass. "I have to persevere. Millennium Dark can't push Millennium Light back; we're going to push them into the darkness. No one will remember them, no one will remember Seto Kaiba…they'll remember me."

-Flashback-

Two figures stood before an old man in a dark brown suit. One had long blonde hair and a curvy figure, her purple eyes exuding confidence. The other was a tall and slender male, short brown hair with uniquely cut bangs, and cerulean eyes, his face expressionless. She was wearing a purple dress-suit, with the skirt coming just above her knees, and a white shirt underneath the sleek purple jacket. He wore black pants and a dark blue shirt, with a full-length navy blue coat that flared out at the back.

"Mai Valentine…Seto Kaiba, I've called you here to commend you on your work thus far," the man said, sounding more like a kindly grandfather than a boss. "But only one of you can move up to the coveted rank. As you know, we have a group of young men with unlimited potential to reach unimaginable heights in this business. Only the most skilled manager can make them the stars they're destined to be."

"How much longer are you going to keep the suspense?" Mai asked trying to keep cheerful. She was though in reality, scared out of her mind. She had worked for years to get up to the level that Seto had secured in weeks. He had told her, that it was just a friendly rivalry, but she didn't believe him. Mai knew Seto was first in everything, but she was determined to take this from him.

The man smiled. "Not too much longer. He moved out from behind his desk and stood in front of them. Mai felt her heart pound as he walked towards her, but it all came crashing down when the man pushed past her and shook Seto's hand. "Congratulations, Seto Kaiba. You have given beyond exceptional results, and I know you will take these boys to new heights. Good luck."

Seto gave a grim smile. "I don't need luck." He turned to Mai. "Don't take it so hard. I just got to it before you. You'll get there soon."

Mai forced a smile. "Yeah. Thanks Seto." They shook hands before the man and Seto left the room. As soon as the door shut, Mai growled and clenched her hands into fists. "Outdone again by Seto Kaiba! I'll show him…I'll bring him off that friggin' high horse of his! One of these days" The rejection only hurt more, as she and Seto had been somewhat involved, that rivalry sparking attraction between Mai and Seto. "I will beat you."

-End Flashback-

Mai opened her eyes after a while. She was mildly shocked to see that it was already very late in the afternoon, with the skies currently shades of orange, purple and pink. After all these years, she still kept her promise. The opportunity to manage the hot commodity that is Millennium Dark may have been ripped from her grasp, but now she was the successful manager of Millennium Light, who, in her mind, was poised to knock Millennium Dark from the pedestal that they were currently sitting on.

Tristan walked in and this time Mai turned around. "Didn't I call you in here hours ago?" Mai asked surprised.

Millennium Light's spokesman raised an eyebrow. "Yes, and I was here hours ago. But you were being a zombie and refused to respond to my questions. I figured that you'd be all right now. You want to go over the agenda?"

"Yes, let's get that done and over with."

On the streets

Bakura, much to his surprise, got on and off the bus, without anyone bothering him. They must have seen the murderous glare in his natural eye, or they saw the Millennium Eye and made the safe choice to stay the hell away. Bakura needed to get away from everyone-Shadi, Yami, and Keith…even Malik. He couldn't stand the questions, the interrogation, and the fact that no one did such questioning when anyone else made a mistake. It was either walk out or stay and destroy something. Bakura may have been pissed off beyond belief, but he had the presence of mind to realise consequences.

So lost in his thoughts was the guitarist, that he didn't know he had plowed over an innocent person. He was jolted from these thoughts as he heard a yelp. Blinking, Bakura looked down and locked gazes with the biggest brown eyes he had ever seen. The boy was practically a mirror image of himself, but his hair was snow-white, less spiky and his eyes were wide and innocent. He was wearing a cream-coloured sweater, with a blue line coming down in a point from around the neckline to the sternum and had on blue jeans and blue sneakers. "That has got to be the ugliest sweater I've ever seen," Bakura muttered. Louder, he said, "I should apologise for running you over." He helped the boy up and was shocked by the jolt he felt when they touched.

The boy shook his head, giving a smile. "Don't worry about it," he said, his voice slightly British-accented. He looked at Bakura closer and smiled. "Say, you're that Bakura fellow from Millennium Dark, aren't you?"

Giving a groan, Bakura nodded. "Yes, that would be me. You a fan or something?"

He laughed. "No, I'm not quite that. My name is Ryou, I am part of Millennium Light." At that, Bakura immediately remembered the quiet boy from the news program they had all watched in the hotel room. Ryou stuck out his right hand (which was the left to Bakura) and Bakura looked at it blankly. "I want to shake hands!" Ryou laughed.

Face flaming from not realising that, Bakura forced it down and shook Ryou's hand. He was slightly alarmed at the pleasantries he was exchanging with someone that was supposed to be his rival. Again he felt the jolt and refused to let the shiver creep up his spine. "Nice to meet you," he said a bit hurriedly. "But I've got to get back."

Ryou nodded understandingly. "I must get back as well, I just got myself lost. I haven't been this deep downtown before."

Bakura raised an eyebrow. "Looking for the subway?"

"Yes! Do you have any idea where it is?" Ryou asked urgently, looking very cute in distress as Bakura admitted mentally.

Blinking though, Bakura turned Ryou around and pointed down the street. "It's straight down that way. It's a little tricky to see, but look for all the people going down." Ryou said his thanks and hugged Bakura. Taken greatly aback, Bakura numbly put his hands around Ryou, and patted him on the back. "You're welcome."

"Thanks again, Bakura!" Ryou said cheerfully, walking down the sidewalk, soon disappearing into the moving crowd. Bakura couldn't help but stare after the snow-haired boy. He finally broke the stare and looked down at his hand, which was trembling.

He spoke seven words before walking to a bus stop. "What the hell is wrong with me?" Shaking his head, Bakura sighed and walked off to a stop. Promptly the bus came and he got on, sitting at the very back. But no matter how hard he tried; he could not get Ryou's face or voice out of his head. Cursing under his breath, he hoped it was just a passing thing. But deep inside, he knew this wouldn't be the end of it…

When Bakura reached to the studio, he didn't find anyone there but Yami. The lead singer was standing with his arms crossed, leaning against the side of the studio building. "Finally you came back," Yami said, pushing himself off. "I thought you'd never come and that waiting for you was a bad idea."

"So you decided not to jump the bandwagon and be pissed at me?" Bakura asked, still feeling a little disoriented from his meeting with Ryou. Yami noticed the change in behaviour almost immediately, but said nothing at first.

"Actually, I wanted to make sure you got back alive before Malik had a mental breakdown," Yami said, snapping his fingers in front of Bakura's face. "Hello? Earth to Bakura Kitsune!" [1] Bakura blinked and stared at him. "Let's get out of here." Yami gestured to a rental car that Seto had left for him and Bakura numbly walked over to it and got in the passenger side. "What is up with you?"

Bakura, for once, didn't snap at the question. "I don't know," he replied in a small voice. "I'm beginning to doubt everything about me…I met someone. You know how I am with meeting people…but I … I wasn't mean or snappish or anything…I was civil."

Yami blinked. Bakura being civil to people he was meeting for the first time was virtually unheard of. "Wow, must have been some kind of girl."

"It wasn't a girl," Bakura said and Yami blinked again. "It was a guy…damn it, Yami! This is my point! I don't know what the hell is going on with me!"

Yami, before starting the car, put a hand on the guitarist's shoulder. "Bakura, the best thing to do right now is not to think about it. Focus on your work, and let this part of your life sort itself out. It's easier said than done, but believe me, it's what works."

"Pharaoh, for once I hope you're right," Bakura said with a sigh. Yami had to smirk at the nickname Bakura had given him. Because your advice is the only thing I have to go on right now…the only damned thing

-TBC-

Author's notes: *winks* Hope you liked the two quick chapters! What's going on with Bakura and Malik? Will this thing with Ryou continue to affect Bakura? Just what the heck did happen between Seto and Mai? Will I shut up already? Um, I don't know when I'll update next, but keep on your toes *lol*.