Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ My Promise ❯ Childhood Saga: A day in Ryou's 'normal' life ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

10 Childhood Saga: A day in Ryou's `normal' life.
 
#$#$#$#$#$
 
There are some Japanese words in every chap.
The Japanese words which are mostly used in fics I WON'T name. If you don't know a translation, just look in earlier chaps to find their translation. With these words I mean hai, iie, gomen, yami, hikari, etc. etc.
For the people who don't know any other Japanese words, here's the translation of them who are gonna be seen in this chap;
 
Masaka: I don't believe this.
 
Nande-koto-wa?: What happened?
 
Hontou ni: Really? Do you mean it?
 
Hanash'te!: Tell me!
 
#$#$#$#$#$
 
Disclaimer: Yu-Gi-Oh isn't mine. I do not own Ryou, Bakura, or any other characters.
 
*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#* #*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*
 
“But do Mai's parents allow her to go with a young child like you?”
 
“Hai, Tou-san. And Mai's parents would pay the entrance-price for me as well. But can I please go?” I pleaded my eyes, as I waited for my daddy's answer. I sure hoped he let me go!
 
“... Okay then ... -my eyes lit up faster than the light itself, while the brightest smile appeared on my face- ... but remember to stay with Mai, and tell her she has to bring you home before dinner.” Daddy said, sounding like my mommy when she was telling her usual speech ... it didn't matter though, since I could go to the tournament next weekend!!!!!
 
# All thanks to the most brilliant and cleverest boy in history ... the almighty me!!!! # Bakura stated proudly through our mind-link. He was probably in the living-room, but that didn't matter for him, he could hear us anyway.
 
-I wonder when the time comes that you drown in your bath full of your own ego ...- I replied sarcastically, but I didn't think Bakura understood my point.
 
# I don't have a bath, so I won't drown in it!!!! # Bakura answered me, and like I thought before, he didn't understand my point.
 
“But son,” Daddy interrupted my conversation with Bakura, “I thought the entrance-price was really expensive this year? I don't want them to think we're not rich, so I can always pay your entrance-price ... how late is Mai gonna pick you up anyway?”
 
“Around ten, she said. But can I please go to my room again, since I'm still practicing my duel-skills. I don't want to loose a single duel!” I asked daddy, not waiting for an answer -imagine he wanted to play with me again!- and ran straight to my room, where Bakura was unsurprisingly doing his famous -but also stupid- dance again on my bed ... well, as far as it looked like a bed, since the pillows and the blanket was thrown off it, and the mattress was covered by clothes Bakura liked to wear.
 
“Stop dancing, Bakura. If I want to win a duel, I have to practice more!” I sighed as he did another twirl, jumped off the bed, and answered my question with a smug `SUUUUURE BABY!!' and a big fat stupid blink. When he was acting normal again, which took him more than 10 minutes, we both grabbed 5 cards, and started a duel.
 
“I attack with my Lady of Faith, which destroys your monster!” I stated, but Bakura wasn't impressed by my attack. He scratched his head, and revealed a magic-card.
 
“I recall my monster with `monster reborn' and then offer him up for `Earl of Demise'. Then I'll power him up with this field-card, and attack your monster, and also the rest of your life-points. You lost, AGAIN!” He stated, while yawning loudly, which annoyed me again.
 
“I was trying really hard! It's not funny to pretend like you can never loose from me!” I pouted, shuffling all cards again, and giving me and him 5 cards again.
 
“I will beat you!” I whined some more, but remained silent as Bakura started to focus on his cards.
 
“Not today, I'm afraid. I'm curious if you can beat this strategy!” He grinned mean to me, but suddenly asked me: “Can I please duel with you next weekend, at the tournament? Then we can play together ... I'll take over your body, so no-one will hit me accidentally or step on my toes. PLEASE??????!!!!” He used his puppy-eyes, but wasn't sold yet.
 
“Emmm ... won't Mai notice?” I asked him back, not completely answering his question.
 
“Nah!!! She's a girl, and girls don't notice such things!! And it's not like someone can actually see my being inside you!!” He played `Change of Hearts' and took over my `Curse of Dragon'.
 
“Okay then. You can take over my body ... but ONLY if I want to!!!! For the rest of the time, you stay in your ring, or just next to me.” I stated, and played `Dragon captor jar'.
 
“This isn't working, let's quit this duel! You are way too distracted from eventually hoping you could beat me, so you play really bad! Let's go downstairs.” Bakura suddenly stated, and threw his cards on the pile, before heading downstairs, probably to watch TV.
 
I stood also up, and followed him, after I peeked into his cards he was holding as second ago ...
 
“MASAKA!!!!! BAKURA!!!!! I could have beaten you! NO FAIR!!!!” I yelled, then realizing daddy could have heard me -which he hadn't after all, by the way-.
 
o0~0o
 
“And remember to behave! Else you aren't allowed to go to the tournament. And don't forget, do-
 
“Don't talk to strangers, don't eat candy strangers give you, come home immediately after school, only if you can't play somewhere else with friends, but if I do, I have to call you before going there. And don't throw off your jacket, be a good kid in the class, and learn much today, and do not pick on smaller kids, do not fight with older ones, and don't be rude to kids of your age. Don't be a bad boy during lessons, and don't do anything you're not allowed of. I know, Tou-san. Mommy told me that every day.” I sighed deeply, closed my jacket, and picked up my school-bag.
 
“Gomen for that, son. Anyway, have fun today!” Daddy smiled at me, before giving me a kiss on my forehead -I didn't oversee Bakura's gag, who stood behind my daddy- and pushing me playfully to the back-door.
 
“You can walk alone to school, can't you?” Daddy asked me, as I slowly walked outside. I nodded `Hai' before turning my head to the street, leaving daddy and my house behind. Off course I didn't leave Bakura behind. This time he was dressed much warmer than the first time. Although he was wearing an old jacket of mine, he was happy with it.
 
When we crossed the street, Bakura suddenly started to speak to me, making an addition of the speech daddy tried to tell me a minute ago: “Remember small baka, always keep your ring on! Even when you have that stupid `PE'-thing you were talking about. Just keep it on! Else I cannot protect you from bullies, since you're too weak for fighting back!”
 
“I know. If I don't have the ring on, I can't speak to you, and you can't take on a `visible' state, and then you can't protect me! You told me this already last night, and twice this morning.”
 
# I just wanna make sure nothing happens to you, else I can't materialize again! And if I can't materialize, then you can't be my student anymore, and be a wimp forever! # Bakura answered, sounding selfish. It wasn't like I cared about it, he was like this most of the times!
 
# Why didn't you have to go to school last week? Did you ditch school a whole week long? # He suddenly was more interested by me, but backed off once again as I answered it was Christmas-holiday back then.
 
# Too bad! # I shrugged his shoulders at his comment, and continued walking to school ... perhaps I should warn Bakura ...
 
# About what, baka???!!!! #
 
“About my teacher ... well, she's not ... a normal teacher ... she's more-
 
“RYOU!!!!” I was interrupted by a yell from behind. For a moment I thought someone finally saw me standing, and wanted to talk to me, but that moment didn't last long. I heard Bakura growl as the person stopped almost in front of me.
 
“RYOU!!! Long time no see! Nande-koto-wa? I thought you were sick! Why won't you play outside more often? And why were you talking to yourself? Is the loneliness getting too much to handle, Ryou-chan?” He said, sounding almost worried about me. I knew better. Off course this was all fake.
 
“Iie, I'm NOT lonely, Jou. And I WAS sick. Also, I wasn't talking to myself, I was singing a song. But I have to hurry now, I don't wanna be late for school.” I rambled, while hoping this conversation would end pretty fast. After my answer, and before Jou could react, I started to walk -faster than a minute ago- toward the building in front of me. Luckily Jou didn't follow me, cuz his friends showed up exactly after I walked away.
 
# Can I kick him? # I suddenly heard Bakura growl at me. He was snorting, and was looking pissed off in the direction of Joey and his friends.
 
-Iie ... he's not worth it. He doesn't hurt me, so that would be unfair. I mean, IF he, and I repeat IF he would hurt me, THEN it would be more than normal to hurt him back! But since he only insults me, you won't go kick him! -
 
# Hontou ni?? -I nodded in response, thinking Bakura was joking again- Okay then! IF he kicks you someday, I'll kick him back! # Bakura grinned at his thought, but remained silent as he saw my school-building. I was used to all the kids, who was playing and goofing around, but I guess Bakura wasn't.
 
I walked to my favourite spot, where I could overlook the whole playground. I sat down on the ground, and looked to other playing kids. Since I was quit shy when other people were around, I never asked them if I could join a game, and they never asked me to join. Not that I cared though, I was happy enough with my life as it was.
 
# This thing is HUGE!!!!!!!!!! COOL! # Bakura said, while his eyes followed a basketball and some kids running after it.
 
# HEY!!!!! The ball escaped! GRAB THAT BALL!!!!! # Bakura mentally yelled at them. He waved over-active with his arms, and smiled brightly after one of them grabbed the ball. He already knew nobody but me could hear him if he said something mentally, or see him when he was doing something stupid, but he probably didn't care. By the look of his bright looking face, he was enjoying it anyway.
 
Suddenly the bell rang, so Bakura jumped of surprise.
 
# RYOU!!!! HELP!!! Fire trail!!! # He yelped toward me, which caused me to snickered silently.
 
-You've looked to much soap, Bakura. That's just the school-bell. When it rings, all kids have to go to their classes. I never had a fire trail in my life! This school is fire-trail-proof! Come-on, I have to go inside too!-
 
I stood up, grabbed my schoolbag, and walked to the main-door, where all kids also walked to. I suddenly felt a heavy feeling around my neck, which meant Bakura returned to his ring. I sighed once more, before heading to my class. Too bad I wasn't excited, and too bad I didn't warn Bakura for my teacher yet ... Now only hope he wouldn't start kicking her.
 
~oOo~ End flashback ~oOo~
 
“I thought you were almost at the point Seto entered your life-story. I don't mean the rest is boring, but I think Seto gets worried if I stay away longer than an hour, which already past, by the way ... can I please call Seto I'll come later?” Mokuba rambled, so I just HAD to stop my life-story. Grrr. Where did privilege go to these days? Emmm, never mind me. I'm being sensitive right now. Heh, heh. Anyway, Mokuba didn't wait for an answer, he just searched a bit in his pocket, until he found a phone. He pushed in some buttons, while Yugi and I gasped a bit at the expensive thing. Fuck! That thing really looked VERY expensive! And to think he's just a child. God, that not fair. Why must there be difference, with an accent on the word `difference'. No fair. I want a cool mobile too. Wait, I have money, so why wouldn't I buy one for myself. Oh yeah, I don't have friends. Damn.
 
“Hello big brother ... Hai, I know how late it is ... gomen nasai, but I wanna stay here some longer ... Hai .... he's telling his life-story to us ... Iie, he didn't mention you, yet ... HAHA! Good to know I can blackmail you with this in the end ... okay then, bye now, big brother!” Mokuba put the phone back into his pocket, and smiled at me as a cue for continuing my story. Geez, I think I really can't ditch him, now can I?!
 
“Come-on Ryou, please hurry a bit, since Seto said I could stay here just for another hour, and then I had to go home ... off course I don't wanna put you under pressure, but I really wanna hear the part you were mentioning earlier!”
 
It would probably be harsh to ask if he could he keep his mouth shut sometimes? If my very sweet Bakura wasn't in the state he is in now, he probably would've kicked him in response. But since he is ... well, I really hate to think he can't do such things anymore. Too bad. I'm too shy for actually ASKING him to try to shut his mouth. I know, I'm pathetic. But that's just me.
 
“Ryou, everything okay with you? You seem so sad. Emmm, never mind that, if I were you, I would've been sad too ... If you want us to leave, just tell it. We don't want to put you under pressure, okay?” Yugi softly patted my back while saying this, what made me get back to the real world. Well, not that I WANTED to go back to the real world, since there I wouldn't hear Bakura talking to me anymore. And though dreams are just dreams, I can live with them, as long as I pretend to hear Bakura calling me.
 
“Gomen nasai for spacing out, Yugi, Mokuba. I was just thinking of something. Emmm, but you two can stay here, it's not a big problem -IT'S A HUGE ONE!!!-. But I'll continue the story, so Mokuba won't have to wait much longer, is that alright with you?” Geez, I'm so nice.
 
Mokuba and Yugi nodded in response, and waited patiently for me to continue my story. Great. Just fucking great! Why did I ever invited those to stay here, so they could breath in the same air my Bakura has to breath in ... wait a minute. Bakura doesn't breath in this air. Damn. Sob, sob. Darn, here I go again. Geez, I'm really a softy!
 
Emmm, but anyway. Where did I stay with my story? Emm, oh yeah. I remember again.
 
“Alright. Bakura and I entered my class-room, and ...- As I began to talk again, my thought wandered off to the point my teacher stepped into the class. Bakura was still inside the ring, while I was staring to the blackboard in front of me ...
 
 
~oOo~ Enter flashback ~oOo~
 
 
“Good morning class.” My teacher started, as everybody sat down.
 
“Good morning, Miss Tyono.” Everybody replied decently. Even after almost half a year, we still weren't allowed to speak out her first name ... which I still never heard before. I guess she likes privacy at some points. She smiled once more, before starting to begin her lesson. Since I was in the first grade, she was teaching us how to read and write words, but most of us didn't understand it, even if we were doing this already half a year. Not that I didn't understand it. Unlike them, I could already read and write almost perfectly, only almost nobody knew this. I only had some troubles with the difficult words, with more than 3 syllables.
 
“RYOU!!!! Don't zoom out now!” I suddenly heard Miss Tyono yell at me, probably cuz I was spaced out and looking at the window, “I know you already know this word, but please stay focussed!” Then she returned to teach other kids the word `house' -which most of them didn't get, by the way-.
 
# About the warning of your teacher you tried to tell me earlier, did you mean the yell by that warning? If so, then you're even more a wimp! # He snorted to confirm his question.
 
-Bakura, you don't wanna know what she is capable of. She waits until she found her prey, and then ... she attacks when nobody expects it!-
 
# Why did she know you knew this already? I thought you never told anyone else you could already read and write? # I heard Bakura's voice through my head again.
 
- ... I guess I can explain it ... only hope she doesn't find out I'm not paying attention to her house-
 
# She's at school, not in her house!!!! But okay then! Hanash'te!!!! # Bakura was all happy again, especially when he felt me blushing a bit, which meant I did something bad at the moment.
 
-In the beginning of the year, I was the slowest kid of them all. I didn't care, cuz mommy said I was smart enough to keep up with them, even if I wasn't as good as them. But one day I heard my mommy talk to my daddy on the phone. She said I was doing worse every day at school, and if I didn't keep up with them, I wouldn't move to the next class. That was the point when I started to learn harder than ever, and when the autumn-brake came, I was even further with learning words than the rest-
 
-When my teacher found out I was doing better with the day, she started to give me compliments, which caused the rest of my class to hate me even more. They said `from a wimp to a book-worm-wimp!'. So when the brake ended, I didn't do a single thing anymore. I kept on learning, but I never showed this. And when Miss Tyono found out I was doing nothing on purpose, she tried to talk to me, but seeing her reputation, I didn't want to listen, which caused her to hate me probably even more, if was possible. As for now, she ignores me as much as possible, but the rest of the class still hates me-
 
# ... HEY!!! That's a cat!!! # Bakura reaction wasn't expected, but when I looked up to the black-board, I saw Miss Tyono drawing a cat, and wrote under the picture `cat'. I suddenly felt the ring become less heavy, which meant Bakura was materialized. I turned my head, and looked at Bakura.
 
He was completely absorbed in the lecture about the cats and kittens, given by out teacher. He ran to the front -luckily nobody could see him, else I'd be even more ashamed- and looked up to the black-board once more.
 
# COOL!!!!!!! ... Ryou, I want to learn how to read! # He suddenly stated while looking at my direction, but within a second, I was interrupted by no-one else then our teacher herself.
 
“RYOU!! Don't look that stupid! I KNOW you know half of the class doesn't understand it yet, but that's NO reason for acting like them and looking confused when I draw a cat!” I looked as innocent as I could, but too bad Tyono already knew I could make faces with ease ... she knew me too well!
 
“Gomen nasai, Miss Tyono.” I stuttered, while blushing like madly, but it didn't help. She walked over to my table, and saw I didn't wrote down a single thing today.
 
Suddenly the door flung open, and I saw Jou in the door-opening, gasping for breath. He looked like he had run, which he probably had. The best of this all was that my teacher ignored my further and walked toward the now trembling Jou.
 
“And where were you, Katsuya Jounouchi?” Tyono asked Jou sweetly ... Jou is braver than he appeared to me, since he wasn't trembling anymore.
 
“I overslept.” Joey stated, while acting if it was the most normal case in the world. But if you listened carefully, you could hear the fear through his voice. And then it happened, and I think Bakura finally understood why I didn't like her. Almost every kid in my class -included me- gasped in horror ... it wasn't like we never saw it, but it was every time even scarier than the last one. It wasn't just a hand which slapped his face rudely, but also a knee what came in contact with his stomach.
 
...
 
I'm very glad Joey entered, else I'd be the unlucky one. Joey didn't tremble anymore, he was more worrying about the teacher in front of her than to think about trembling.
 
# ... Ryou ... Did just happen what I think that happened? # Bakura stuttered unsure, now not feeling comfortable anymore, since he was still standing next to the black-board, and Miss Tyono was standing a few feet away from him.
 
“I think you understand NO-ONE is allowed to oversleep here! This is the most important year of your life for school! If you fail this year, your parents will probably be very disappointed in you.” Our teacher almost yelled at Jou, who still stood in front of her.
 
“Go to your place, Katsuya!” She ended her lecture, and pointed at a chair in the back of the class. I think we all could hear a loud sigh, made by Jou, who was quit happy he escaped her without further kicks.
 
When Miss Tyono walked to her desk again, Bakura suddenly `woke up' and speeded to my chair. When he stopped, he immediately crawled on my lap -as far as he could- and mentally said, sounding quit scared: # I wanna DITCH the rest of your lessons today!!!! ... GEEZ!!! And I thought I was already mean and scary, I never thought someone could be crueller than me!!!!! ... Does this mean I can kick her back??? It's not that YOU were kicked, but this almost the same! #
 
-Shut up, and iie, you can't go kick her! If Jou didn't come in, I would have got that kick! She usually kicks a kid once a week, but this week she already hit 3 people, excluding Jou!-
 
# Then please pay attention so you won't be the 5th one! #
 
I mentally nodded, and watched at the blackboard again, only to write up all words Miss Tyono wrote down today. They were really easy! The most difficult word was `school', which I already knew for a half an year!
 
“Okay class! No more late kids and no talking anymore .... Where did I stay ... O yeah, Ryou!!!” She smiled -I gulped, and looked to the ground, hoping she wouldn't kick me for writing everything in 5 seconds- and walked to my direction. Behind my I heard Jou whimper, and tried to move a bit more to the back, but that didn't work, since his table was too heavy for moving.
 
...
 
“I thought you didn't write down a single thing? Ah well, I see you wrote it all without mistakes, so you're lucky -I sighed- ... for now -DAMN!-.” She smiled at me, while a hint of evil rang through her voice. Then she walked to the blackboard again, going on with drawing more kittens, and writing on more words.
 
I sighed, and mentally motioned Bakura -who was still sorting because he was still sitting on my lap- to go back in his ring, so I could pay attention to the stupid lessons my teacher was giving us. I wasn't like somebody was paying real attention to the blackboard, they were too frightened for trying to learn the words actually.
 
# But I wanna learn how to write too ... then again, I rather want YOU to teach me it than that teacher of you! # He snorted, and disappeared into my ring.
 
I sighed once more, and returned looking at the blackboard, while writing all the things on Tyono wrote on. Behind me I heard another whimper ... I guess the kick in the stomach was a little bit too much for Jou. But then again, I'm quite happy it wasn't me today.
 
Mentally, I got a picture of Bakura who nodded well-knowingly.
 
*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#* #*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*
 
Thankies:
 
snow-shadow-wolf: yey, my day was great, thanks to your sweet review!!
TheAlmightyIshizu-Isis: Thanks for reviewing me, and here's the update!
FantabulousWatapon: Jack is not scary! Jack is one of my most favourite chara's from all movies! I only wanted to create an aura what would make Ryou look like a 6 year old kid, not like a damn 15 year old one! Thanks for the review anyway!
Also special thankies for everyone who reviewed all the other chaps, but who I didn't thank personally, since I was too lazy for thanking them! # Hands over YGH-pluchies!! # That would be:: Pork Steak the Grande, ImaginarySpirit, Uoyr's lover, DreamingChild, Dark Wolf on a full Blood, darkestdreamer ), Dawny1, Virusea, Princess Krystal01, ryou's kitty, manga-nut & Azori Jin Alyx