Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a Day ❯ Welcome Home ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

It was the sound of soft snores that woke her up, smooth and genlte. Oddly enough, almost relaxing to listen to. Her violet-crimson eyes flickered open, her tiny body feeling body heat from both sides of her.

Of course. Her nightmare last night, her recount of her mother's last words, her last breaths. . .

Yumi shook her head of such thoughts. Now was not the time. Yuugi and Yami were both still sound asleep, the melodic snores coming from Yami.

Carefully pushing the blankets off of her, she scooted to the end of the bed and attempted to stand, wanting to step over Yuugi to get to the floor. Much to her surprise and horror, her foot slipped, and she fell backwards with an ungracefull yelp. Her head and shoulders contacted with Yami's legs, while her own legs fell over Yuugi's.

She froze, a groan filling her ears as she looked up from her position, sliding back ever so slightly. The taller male rubbed the sleep from his eyes, crimson orbs peeking at what had caused the intrusion.

"G-gomen," Yumi whispered, rolling onto her stomach, slipping further off the bed. A warm smile greeted her.

"It's all right, Yumi. Good morning."

Yuugi stirred as well, peeking one eye at the clock. Upon seeing what time it was, he glared at it, hoping that it would change.

No such luck.

"Ugh, one in the afternoon. Way past morning." Yuugi sat up, giving a sleep-ridden smile at the little girl. "Good morning. Sleep well?"

She nodded slightly. "Hai." Sitting up, she felt her stomach rumble quite loudly, emitting a soft chuckle from Yami. "Otousan, I'm hungry."

The lavender eyed man stood, grabbing two robes that were on hooks next to the closet. "We'll fix that."

One robe, towel-like material and colored a sensuous purple, Yuugi slipped on and tied. The other, identical in every way, excluding its royal maroon color, he draped over his arm, proceeding to walk to the other side of the bed.

Yumi watched curiously as Yuugi climbed back onto the bed, stradling his snoozing partner. "Yami, love, time to get up."

Grunt.

"Yami. . . ."

Growl. Yuugi grabed the pilow that Yami had hid his head under, hitting playfully on the side of the head. "Wake up!"

As usual, Yami sprang up, not stopping until he had fallen all of the way forward, now pinning Yuugi underneath of him. Yami thoroughly enjoyed their morning routine, reveling in the attention that he didn't get as often as he'd like. He smirked. "Morning." Giving his lover a peck on the lips, he relieved his partner of the maroon colored robe and stood, slipping it on.

Yumi, in all of her life, had never once seen her own parents play in such a manner. This was quite a surprise to her, but she kept queit, waiting for the two to walk out of the room, heading to where she hoped was the kitchen.

Following closely behind Yuugi, Yumi saw for the first time the place that she would comsume the rest of her breakfastes, and probably diners, until she was out of highschool and into college.

The kitchen was small, but had a lot of counter space, and was neatly organized. A small table was placed near the entrance, acting like a center island that was shorter than average, four chairs placed around it.

What came as a surprise, however, was the blonde-haired man that was currently snoring quite profusely, the table now converted to a pillow.

"Jou," Yuugi questioned, louldy enough to wake the slumbering man. The addressed twitched, yawning as he sat up.

"Oh, hey there, Yug'. Beginin' to think dat you weren't gonna wake up." He rubbed his blue eyes tiredly.

"Why are you so sleepy this morning?" Yuugi questioned.

At this, the blonde groaned, slumping in his chair. "The new baby kept us up all night long."

"Is she all right?" Yami inquiered.

Jou waved his hand. "Yeah, she's fine. Just gas or sump'thin."

Yumi, during this conversation, decided to take a seat at the table, which in turn captured the attention of the man named Jou.

"Hey squirt! How ya doin'?" Jou eclaimed enthusiastically.

She averted her eyes slightly, looking back again with nervous aprehension. "I-I'm fine."

Jou's brows furrowed together with the response, but said nothing more concering the matter. "Hey, come here Yumi. I got somp'thin for ya."

Yumi looked at the man perplexed as he reached into his blue jean coat pocket, producing a tiny box. "Here, open it! Is' just a little welcome home gift 'da family threw togeder."

The little girl gingerly took the box from his opened, callused hand, and unwraped the brown paper to reveal a velvet covered case. Opening it carefully, her eyes glittered with amazement.

Inside, a heart shaped locket sat beautifully with a fine gold chain. Flat opals, polished smooth and shiny, took on the shape of two hearts intertwining, etching of vines surrounfing them.

"Go on, open it up!" Jou encuraged.

Lifting the necklace from the black velvet box, she held it lovingly in her hands, snapping open the locket. Inside, she read carefully, was an inscription for her. The left side said 'Welcome Home,' while the right side said, 'Beautiful.' An etched rose was just beneath the 'beautiful'. Turning it to the back, she saw her first name etched as well, in beautiful cursive.

Everyone in the room noticed how her already wide child eyes crew even larger, her mouth slightly agape. "T-this is for. . .me?"

"'Course it is! Is' got your name on it! Come here, I'll help ya put it on."

She walked over to the blonde and held out the necklace, feeling it slip around her neck after she turned around.

"Dere', much better. Looks good on ya, squirt." Jou winked at her, and she turned and gave him a big hug. "Arigato, it's so pretty! I've never had jewelry before."

"No?"

The little girl shook her crimson head. Directing her attention to the person who was currently at the stove cooking breakfast, Yumi ran up with a renewed vigor. "Look Otousan! Isn't it pretty?"

Yuugi bent over to look at the locket, already rememering when his friend had posed the idea to him and his partner to get it for her. "It is pretty. It fits you well." Yumi blushed slightly at the compliment. "You know Yumi, there are a lot of games and puzzles in your room. If you want to go poke around for a while, see what you can find, I'll call you when breakfast is ready."

"Okay Otousan." And like that she was out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

Yami sighed, frowing into his morning cup of coffee.

"What's got you so down, buddy?" Jou asked.

Yami shook his head. "I'm probably just being paranoid."

"What?" his friend asked again.

"Yumi. I don't know, I think she's afraid of me."

"Why do you say that? She's a cute kid."

The other man shook his head. "The most she's said to me since we picked her up was an apology for accidentally waking us up this morning. Which was fine, and I told her so. We'd probably still be in bed right now if she hadn't. But, even just now, not one word. I'm not an expert, but I do know that children like to show off their new things to everyone in the room."

Blue eyes widened a bit. "And you was completely ignored."

"Right."

Jou turned his head to the stove. "What do you dink, Yug'?"

The other man shook his head as well. "I'm not sure. Maybe she's intimidated."

"Yeah, I can see 'dat," Jou agreed.

"And why's that?" Yami asked indignantly.

Jou chuckled. "Please. When I first met you, I dought you was gonna burn a hole threw my head with just your gaze. I know you can't help it, but ya really do got an air about you that kinda either has people swooning, or freaks 'em out."

Yami, despite his age, pouted. "Do not."

Yuugi came over, setting a plate of eggs and bacon in front of his partner, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Sorry love, but you do."

The blonde chuckled again. "Sorry pal. We aint gangin up or you or nuthin', but it's true. It'll take some time for her to trust ya."

Yami sighed, but began consuming his meal with no more comments.

"Hungry, Jou?" Yuugi questioned.

"Oh, you bet!" No matter what his age, Jonouchi Katsuya had never been on to turn down food.

"So how's Mai?" Yami questioned.

"Every bit as a mother hen as before. Not dat I mind. She's a good mom, our kids love her ta pieces."

Yuugi placed a plate in front of his friend. "I'm going to go and get Yumi."

* * * * * * * *

R&R!!! Onegai?

|

|

\/