Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a Day ❯ Treasures and Memories ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

*sighs* This update took FAR too long. Gomen nasai, minna-san, truly I am. Next chapter WILL be sooner.

* * * * * * * * * *

Yuugi poked his head into Yumi's new bedroom, looking for the crimson haired child. He smiled to himself, glad that she wasn't at all shy to look through her new belongings. Currently, the room was now strewn with toys of all kinds. Stuffed animals, puzzles, action figures, and books as well. Many of the things that inhabited this room once belonged not only to him, but to Yami as well. So far, it appeared that Yumi was having no trouble aquainting herself with the items that were once neatly in a toy chest.

"Yumi," he tried. He didn't see her anywhere.

"Hai?" Her voice was muffled, coming in the direction from the closet.

"Are you having fun?"

She poked her head out, cherubic face gleaming. "There's so much stuff in here!"

Yuugi chuckled. "Just make sure you keep it neat and take care of it all. A lot of this is my old stuff."

She turned her head to the side, blinking, "Really?"

Yuugi nodded, but decided to get along with the reason he had come up here in the first place. "Yumi, your breakfast is ready."

She grinned. "Okay." Turning around, she shut off the light in the closet, making to follow her uncle back down into the kitchen, when she remembered something. "Wait, Otousan," she asked. Yuugi looked at her curiously as she delved back into the now almost empty wooded toy chest, half of her body now obstructed from view. She was looking for something that she had seen at the very bottom.

Yuugi smiled when she gave a queal of delight, what she had previously been looking for found. Sitting back up again, she looked at him, curiosity written all over her face. "What's this?"

Walking over to get a better look at what was in the little girl's hands, he almost fell backwards, laughing. "I almost forgot we had that!"

In her hands, Yumi held a gold metal box, and she assumed that it was almost pure. "It's pretty Otousan, but what is it? What's with all the pictures on the sides?"

Still chuckling a little, Yuugi nelt down next to her and took the box in his hands. "It's not pictures, Yumi, it's actually writing. You see, ancient Egyptians used what we call hieroglyphs."

"Really?"

"That's right. You see, this writing tells a story. And if you open it up," Yuugi paused to pop open the lid, and he heard Yumi gasp, "you'll find all of these little gold pieces inside. It's a three dimensional puzzle."

She picked up a small chunk and looked at it closely, feeling the smooth surface with her little fingers. "What's that mean? Three dimentional?"

"It means that it takes on a shape, it's not flat like a normal puzzle with kittens and puppies on it."

"Oh." She put the piece back with the others. "What's this?" She pointed to a symbol that was larger than any of the other 'hieroglyphs' on the front.

"It's called the Eye of Horus. There's a tale about it, I'll tell it to you after breakfast." He put the top back on, snapping it in place. "Here, you try and see if you can put it together later. Yami and I have both done it, but no one else has. See if you can."

Yumi smiled gratefully. "Arigatou."

"Come on," Yuugi grinned, standing up, "I'm sure your eggs are getting cold."

Back in the kitchen, Yami had finished washing his breakfast dishes and had just sat back down, when Yuugi walked back in with Yumi in tow. The small child sat back down at the table, putting the large gold box down next to her plate. Yuugi came up and pointed to it. "Remember this, love? Back in highschool?"

Yami's crimson eyes widened slightly. "The puzzle! I amlost forgot I stashed it in there so long ago."

"Hey, idn't that da thing that you's guys slaved over for what, three months?" Jou questioned.

Yami laughed. "That would be the one. We disasembled it later, it was just too bulky to wear."

Jou grinned, strolling down memory lane. "Yeah, but you's sure go loads a' compliments for it whenever we went clubbin'."

"I almost forgot. Seems like ages ago, doesn't it?" Yuugi asked. Jou merely shrugged. "That's what happens when ya get old."

Yami and Yuugi both glared at him. "Don't remind me," Yami groaned. Yami had always been quite the athlete when he was younger, earning a black belt by the time he was eighteen. Age was not something he got along with very well.

Yuugi came over, wrapping his arms around Yami's shoulders and gave him a kiss on the forehead. "I'm going to go get in the shower. We have a shopping excursion today."

"Joy of joys," Yami chimed. Jou chuckled. "Be happy you don't gotta go with Mai, that's a one way ticket to da Underworld and back."

Yami, knowing full well of the woman's fettish for material things and refinement, was very gratefull. But he still didn't enjoy shopping. "Oh well, at least it's not everyday."

The blue-eyed male took another drink from his orange juice. "Or every oder day for dat matter." It was a good thing that Jou had a good job as a graphic designer, and Mai a good job as a fashion consultant, allowing them to support not only the needs of their family, but of the numerous shopping trips as well.

"See you later, Jou. Tell Mai I said hi." Yuugi replied, turning to leave.

"Will do," Jou called, knowing that he would be gone before Yuugi was out of the shower.

Jou turned to his shorter friend, standing to give him a brotherly clap on the back. "See ya later, bud. I'll bring da family by later dis weekend so they can meet Yumi."

"By Jou."

The blue-eyed man turned to said little girl, and gave her a wink. "Later, squirt," and was out the door.

Yumi looked thoughtful into her morning meal after he had gone. "I like him," she stated.

"He's a good person, and a long time friend to both me and Yuugi. I think that you'll like his family as well."

She nodded. "What are we shopping for?"

"Well, as I am to udnerstand, you need some new clothes, and some fresh uniforms for school. I'll be dropping you off for your first day tomorrow."

Although she merely nodded again, Yami could see she went a little more pale. "Don't worry about the other kids, Yumi. People are really friendly here."

She turned her big eyes up to him, crimson and purple colors dancing with uncertainty. "Really?"

The man smiled and nodded. "Promise."

* * * * * * * * *

Next chapter, the first day of school. New friends, new foes, and the start of a whole new life.