Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Cheerleader Strikes Back ❯ Flight of the Phoenix ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Cheerleader Strikes Back
 
Chapter 9
 
The Flight of the Phoenix
 
“It's my turn, and I play `Hysteric Fairy' (1800, 600). Hysteric Fairy, attack Harpie Lady!” The angel smirked and fired a beam of pink light from its glasses. Harpie raised her wings in a futile attempt to block the attack.
 
-Tea: 4900, Mai: 4700-
 
“If you want to win Mai, you'd better go all out!” Tea yelled. Mai smiled and drew.
“You really don't know what you're asking Tea, but I'll be happy to show you. I summon `Hand of Nephthys' (500, 500). And I'll remove my Harpie's Brother from play to call forth `Garuda the Win Spirit' (1600, 1200). And finally, I'll sacrifice my two monsters to activate the special ability of Hand of Nephthys.” A bright red pillar of flame shot into the sky behind. Garuda and the Hand of Nephthys flew into the pillar, reduced to ashes in an instant. A glowing dark form appeared in the flame.
What is that?” Tea cried.
The pillar of flame dispersed to reveal a golden bird circling overhead. Flames covered its shining wings, and raced along its back to the tip of its long tail. The Phoenix crowed and flapped down to rest beside Mai. Tea gaped.
“It's beautiful…” She murmured.
“Right you are Tea, and if you think she's beautiful now, just wait until she attacks. Sacred Phoenix, Wing Blade!” The flames on the Phoenix raced along its entire body, consuming it in flame. The Phoenix crowed again and took off, flying straight for Hysteric Fairy. The flaming firebird consumed it in the blaze and soared into the sky before landing back beside Mai.
 
-Tea: 4300, Mai: 4700-
 
“Your monster is strong Mai, but I'll beat it.” Tea said. “I summon `The Agent of Luck- Uranus' (1600, 1000). Uranus, attack the Sacred Phoenix.” The little fairy flew at the bird, and Phoenix flapped her wings into the sky. Uranus flew after her and landed on Phoenix's back. Phoenix crowed and spun in mid-air, trying to dislodge Uranus as the fairy unsheathed a large sword on its back.
“I don't get it, Phoenix, destroy her monster!” Mai yelled.
“It can't Mai, because my monster has a special ability. When she attacks, I can flip a coin, and if it's heads, I can destroy your monster instantly.” A large golden coin appeared in front of Tea and flipped high into the air. Mai watched as the coin spun and fell, spinning on its side for a moment before falling to a stop. On heads. Up above, Uranus let out a battle cry and drove its blade into the neck of Phoenix. Phoenix crowed in pain and spiraled down to the ground. Uranus leapt off and landed in front of Tea as Phoenix slammed into the ground behind Mai, bursting into flame. “I'll end my turn there.” Tea said, smiling.
“Alright then Tea.” Mai chuckled. A pillar of flame rose up behind her, and Phoenix flew out. Tea gasped.
“But I destroyed your Phoenix!” Tea protested.
“Come now Tea, don't you know the story of the Phoenix? Kill it, and its corpse will be consumed by flame. The Phoenix will then spring back to life from the ashes. And just like the legendary Phoenix, my monster will revive any time you destroy it using a card effect.” Mai explained. “So it doesn't matter how many times your Uranus wins its little coin flips, because my Phoenix will come right back. And there's more. When my Phoenix returns from the Graveyard, all Spell and Trap cards on the field are destroyed. And without your Sanctuary in the Sky, you can't use Uranus' special ability. Phoenix, Wing Blade!” The bird flew again and wrapped a cocoon of flame around Uranus. Uranus roared in pain and sank to the ground in a pile of ash.
 
-Tea: 3500, Mai: 4700-
 
“It's my move.” Tea said, drawing. “I activate the Spell card `Offerings to the Doomed', which lets me destroy Phoenix.” Mai sighed and shook her head as bandaged wrapped around Phoenix, constricting and crushing the monster.
“Tea, don't you ever learn? I told you, whenever you destroy Phoenix with a card effect, she comes right back on my next turn.”
“I know Mai, but you seem to have forgotten that in the mean time, you're completely defenseless. I summon `Fire Princess' (1300, 1500). Fire Princess, attack Mai directly!” The flaming maiden twirled her wands and sent a wave of fire at Mai.
 
-Tea: 3500, Mai: 3600-
 
“Nice trick Tea, but too little too late.” Mai said. Phoenix crowed as the bandages around it burst into flame, freeing the bird. “Phoenix, attack her now!” the flaming bird soared and slammed into Fire Princess, picking her in her beak and crushing it.
 
-Tea: 2400, Mai: 3600-
 
“Alright Mai, but I'm not out yet.” Tea muttered. “But at this rate, I will be soon.” She thought. If I could summon Moisture Creature, I could beat that Phoenix and win. But there's no way Mai will let me get enough monsters to summon it.” “I'll set this monster and end my turn.” Tea said. Mai drew and smiled.
“Sorry Tea, but your time just ran out. I activate `Fairy Meteor Crush'. With this card, I can damage your Life Points even when your monsters are in defense mode. Phoenix, attack!”
“Reveal `Magician of Faith' (300, 400). I'll use her special ability to return my Sanctuary in the Sky to my hand.” Mai snorted.
“It doesn't really matter Tea, this is your last move.” She said. Tea grimaced and looked at the cards in her hand. “She's right, I'm out of monsters, and even if I did summon one, she'd wipe it out with no trouble.” “I'll end my turn there Tea, so make your last move.” Tea nodded and stared down at her Duel Disk.
 
-Tea: 400, Mai: 3600-
 
“O, okay.” She said uneasily. “Heart of the Cards, you always come through for Yugi and Joey. And now I need you to come through for me.” Tea drew and gulped. “This is it Mai. I activate `Graceful Charity, and draw three cards, discarding two.” Tea drew and cheered. “I'll get rid of Moisture Creature and Sanctuary in the Sky. Then I activate Monster Reborn and revive my `Moisture Creature' (2800, 2900). Next, I summon `Hoshinigen' (500, 700), which gives my LIGHT monsters an extra 500 ATK points!”
“I told you Tea, it doesn't matter.” Mai yawned. “You've only got 400 Life Points left, and once I summon my Cyber Harpie, I can wipe you out. You don't have enough power to win this turn, and you won't be winning at all.”
“What makes you so sure Mai? Maybe you've forgotten, but it's still my turn, and I'm not done yet. I play `Megamorph'!” Moisture Creature groaned. Mai's jaw dropped as the transparent hands and head grew a body. A rather big body. Moisture creature rose up to twice Tea's height, with its own legs and body. Its laser pistol grew bigger as well. “Thanks to this card, my Moisture Creature doubles its ATK as long as your Life Points are lower then mine.” The powered-up fairy (6100, 2900) flexed its newfound arms and roared. Its laser glowed brightly.
“Now, Moisture Creature, destroy the Sacred Phoenix!” Tea commanded. The fairy aimed and fired a beam of thin light at Phoenix. Phoenix roared in pain as the beam grew bigger, consuming its entire body. With a final crow of defeat, Phoenix exploded is a spray of glowing embers. “Now Hoshinigen, attack!” The star-shaped fairy fired its rainbow beam of light at Mai.
 
-Tea: 400, Mai: 0000-
 
Mai gaped.
“No way…” She muttered. Tea flicked off her Duel Disk and smiled, walking up to Mai and extending her hand.
“Nice duel Mai. You played a great game.” Tea said. Mai shrugged and shook Tea's hand.
“You just got lucky Tea.” Mai growled. But she quickly winked to dispel the attitude. Tea chuckled.
“Yeah, if I hadn't gotten that Graceful Charity, I would have lost for sure.”
 
- - - - - - - - - -
 
“She won.” Vick growled into his cell phone.
“That's enough Vick, I'm sick and tired of her. I'm at the pier, bring her here.” The voice on the other line snapped.
“Rochelle, she's got Muto with `er, he'll…”
“Don't tell me you're afraid of that little punk. Besides, that's good, now you don't have to hunt him down. You can take care of Muto, baby. Just leave his little girlfriend to me.” Rochelle ordered. Vick smirked and clicked his phone shut before turning to Cyrus and Dorien.
“Take da blonde and Muto. Rochelle wants da girl.” He said. Dorien and Cyrus snickered before walking onto the street.
“I had to do a lot of shopping around before I found Zerato…” Tea was telling Mai. Dorien cleared his throat, prompting Tea to turn around. “Not you again…what do you two want?” She asked impatiently.
“We was really impressed with your skills, and was wondering if you wouldn't mind a rematch with a fried of ours.” Dorien explained.
“I don't think so.” Tea snorted, turning back to Mai. Dorien sneered and grabbed her wrist.
“I wasn't askin'.” He growled.
“Leave her alone!” Mai snapped. Cyrus snorted and put a hand up to block her. Mai pushed the hand away and slapped Cyrus across the face. Cyrus rubbed his jaw.
“Ya know something…I ain;t never hit a woman before.” He made a fist and landed a swift uppercut on Mai's chin. The duelist went sprawling to the ground. Tea jerked her arm back and landed a knee to Dorien's stomach. Dorien groaned and fell to the pavement. Tea grabbed Yugi's hand to run when Vick clamped his huge hand on her shoulder.
“I don't tink so girl, remember me?” He laughed. Tea went to run, and Vick wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her back against him with an arm around her neck. Vick smirked and looked around. “Anyone else wanna be a hero?” He shouted. The crowd that had gathered vanished. Dorien groaned and slowly got to his feet as Cyrus wrestled Yugi's arms behind him.
“You're gonna pay for that bitch.” Dorien growled.
“Hold on dere Dorien, Rochelle wants her first.” Vick snickered. Dorien snorted and glared at the struggling Yugi.
“Night night, your Majesty.” Dorien sneered, slamming his fist into Yugi's face. Tea struggled in Vick's arms.
“Ya know, when ya aint' flappin' dat big mouth o' yers, yer kinda cute. Muto has good taste.” Vick smirked. Tea glared and tried to kick Vick in the leg. Vick snorted and reached up to clamp a hand over Tea's mouth, his thumb pinching her nose shut. “Enjoy da nap, tings won't be pretty when ya wake up.” Tea kept wailing her legs against Vick's, but as her air ran out, the blows grew lighter until Tea slumped down in Vick's arms. Vick threw Tea over his shoulder and nodded at Dorien and Cyrus. “Bring Muto.” He commanded. Cyrus and Dorien picked up Yugi and followed Vick down the street.”