Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Cheerleader Strikes Back ❯ Teamwork ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Cheerleader Strikes Back
 
Chapter 18
 
Teamwork
 
“Activate `Magic Cylinder'!” Tea shouted. A glowing pink tube appeared in front of the Dark Magician of Chaos. “My trap intercepts the attack, and redirects it to Vick!” The cylinder absorbed Mana's attack, and fired it directly at Vick.
 
-Tea: 8000, Yugi: 6000, Vick: 5200, Rochelle: 6400-
 
“What da hell was dat?” Vick yelled.
“It was her trap, don't blame me you big oaf!” Rochelle snapped. “I'll end my turn.” Tea nodded.
“Okay.” “I have to find a way to destroy the Dark Necrofear possessing Mana. It's the only way to save her and the Dark Magician of Chaos.” Tea drew her card. “I play `Two-Man Cell Battle', which lets us each summon a 4 Star monster when we end our turns. I summon `The Agent of Creation-Venus' (1600, 0000), and pay 1500 Life Points to Special Summon 3 `Mystical Shine Balls' (500, 500). I'll set this down, and then I end my turn by summoning `Agent of Life-Jupiter' (1400, 1500), and I'll use his special ability to pay 1000 Life Points to summon back my Absorbing Kid From the Sky.” Tea's five fairies hovered over her side of the field. Rochelle sneered as Vick took his turn.
“I set a monster in defense, and play `De-Spell' ta destroy Two-Man Cell Battle. And den I'll just end my turn.” Yugi growled.
“As long as Vick has Swords of Revealing Light, and Rochelle has Mana possessed, we're helpless, and they both know it.” “I summon `Silent Magician Lv4 (1000, 1000), and play `Pot of Greed' to draw 2 cards. Then I use my `Level Modulation' card to revive `Stone Golem Lv5' (1000, 2600), and make Rochelle draw 2 cards. And then that's all.” Rochelle chuckled.
“Okay then. I'll start with…”
“Hold on!” Tea yelled. “Activate `Solar Ray'. My trap does 600 damage for each of my LIGHT monsters, so you can have fun taking 3000 points of damage Rochelle!” Rochelle growled.
“It doesn't matter. I play `Pot of Greed', to draw 2 cards. Then I play `Ebon Magician Curran (1200, 0000). Now, to pick up where I left off last turn…Mana, attack the Dark Magician of Chaos again!” The possessed sorceress raised her staff again and fired her dark magic.
“Stone Golem, intercept!” Yugi yelled. The giant stone statue leapt with amazing agility and jumped in front of the Chaos Mage. It took the attack and exploded.
 
-Tea: 8000, Yugi: 4200, Vick: 5200, Rochelle: 3400-
 
“I have to switch my Golem to attack mode.” Yugi explained. “But by doing so, I can block your attack again. Tea and I are a team, and our monsters our the same way! Even possessed and fused, Mana is still the Dark Magician Girl, and my Chaos magician if still he Dark Magician! They would never hurt each other!”
They're just cards you idiot!” Rochelle screamed. “You can't evade my wrath forever! Make your turn bitch, so I can end the duel!” Tea glared.
“I will. I switch all my cards to defense, and end my turn.” Vick drew and smiled.
“I play `Soul Exchange', and offer da girl's Shine Ball as tribute, along with my Helping Robo, to summon `Perfect Machine King' (2700, 2500). I gotta end my turn there.” Yugi smiled as the Silent Magician started to glow.
“Now then, I activate the special ability of my Silent Magician . Since you two have drawn at least 5 cards, my magician now becomes `Silent Magician Lv8' (3500, 1000). And he's unaffected by any of your Spells, meaning that your Swords of Revealing Light don't stop him from attacking. Then, I play `Necromancy'. This revive 4 of your monsters Vick, so welcome back your Frightening Cars and your Helping Robo.” Vick laughed.
“Ya've lost it Muto, tanks for giving my monster an extra 2000 points!” He chuckled.
“I don't think so Vick.” Yugi said, smiling. “You see, when my Dark Magician of Chaos was summoned, he let me transfer any Spell in my Graveyard to my hand. So here's a blast from the past. Go, `Diffusion Wave Motion'. Now, by paying 1000 Life Points, my Silent Magician can attack all monsters!” The tall, thin mage swung his staff and fired a wave of energy across the field, destroy the Frightening Cars and Helping Robo. “And there's more. Due to the effects of Necromancy, each time one of the monsters I revived is destroyed, all your remaining monsters lose 800 points! So my next target is Rochelle's Ebon Magician!” Rochelle gasped as the wave of magic hit Curran (0000, 0000), sending the dark mage flying backwards. “And finally, I'll attack Perfect Machine King!” The large machine (0000, 2500) rusted over and crumbled.
 
-Tea: 8000, Yugi: 3200, Vick: 1700, Rochelle: 0000-
 
“And now I'm ending my turn. And since Rochelle is eliminated, it's Tea's turn. And with Rochelle's Dark Necrofear gone with her, Mana isn't possessed anymore!” The brunette mage gasped as her black robes turned white again, and she happily jumped back to Tea's side of the field. Yugi turned to Tea and nodded. “Tea, would you do the honors?” Tea nodded back.
“It would be a pleasure Yugi. Mana, attack Vick directly!” The mage fired a beam of pure white, and slammed into Vick's chest. The large man stumbled back and collapsed.
 
-Tea: 8000, Yugi: 3200, Vick: 0000, Rochelle: 0000-
 
“Yeah, we won!” Tea cheered, jumping up and down. She won across the docks and pressed her lips against Yugi's cheek. “You were awesome Yugi, we did it!” Yugi blushed.
“Uh…yeah.” He said nervously.
“Get a room!” Joey yelled. Tea stood up and faced Rochelle and Vick.
“It's over Rochelle!” Tea called. “Just leave now!” Rochelle gritted her teeth and spun around.
“You'll pay for this! C'mon Vick!” She fumed. Tea shook her head sadly.
“I see why Pegasus wants me to bring some morale back to the game.” She muttered. “They're so obsessed it's scary.”
“Yeah. Kaiba wanted to win, but even he wasn't that bad.” Yugi murmured. Drake cleared his throat.
“Well…Dax and I have to go. See ya!” He said. The partners climbed in the helicopter, and the 4 friends stepped back as it powered up and lifted off the ground. Tea watched and sighed.
“Finally. I think I've dueled enough to last me a lifetime.” She said. Joey nodded,
“Yeah, tell me about it. But hey, you're da Queen of games now, you'd better get used to it! Now everyone is gonna want a piece of ya!” Tea looked down at Yugi, who nodded.
“Take it from me, he's right.” The little duelist said sympathetically. Joey looked down at his watch.
“Ah man I'm late! I was supposed to pick up Serenity from the train station!” Tristan perked up.
“Serenity! You want some help picking her up? Or maybe you could just head home, I've got my bike, I'll pick her up for ya.” Joey growled and grabbed Tristan by the collar.
“Tristan, you wanna break an arm or sumthing?!?” Joey yelled.
“Yeah, you just go home.” Tristan said, breaking out of Joey's grasp. He ran down the pier. “I'll make sure Serenity makes it to your house safe!” He called over his shoulder.
“Come back here, you're gonna eat dose words!” Joey roared, giving chase. Tea sweatdropped.
“Well those two never grow up.” She said, smiling. “See ya later Yugi.” She said, jogging down the pier.
“Tea wait!” Yugi called. Tea stopped and turned.
“Yeah?”
“I was wondering, um…could you walk me home? I have something to show you at the shop.” Tea shrugged.
“Okay, sure.”
 
- - - - - - - - - -
 
The sun was low on the horizon by the time Yugi and Tea reached the Turtle Game shop.
“Wait here.” Yugi said, running inside. Tea sat down on an empty trashcan in front of the shop and looked up at the sunset. A minute later, Yugi came outside holding a small box. “Here.” He said, holding it out to Tea. Tea smiled.
“A present? Yugi, thank you.” She said, taking off the lid. Inside the box lay a single, old Duel Monsters card. Tea gasped and carefully reached down to pick up the card. It was the Magician of Faith, but the artwork was so old and faded. Tea felt tears come to her eyes. “Yugi, how did you…”
 
-Flashback-
 
6-year old Tea Gardner sat on her front steps crying. She looked down at the admittedly somewhat poor picture of her and Yugi.
“It does not look stupid! Stupid Heather, stupid…stupid picture!” Tea put her head down and sobbed.
“What's wrong Tea?” Tea lifted her head and smiled.
“Yugi…hi.” She said. Yugi climbed the steps and sat down beside her.
“Why are you crying?” Yugi asked. Tea gasped and quickly shoved her picture out of sight. She was pretty much the only girl in her class that had a boy as her best friend. Yugi was pretty much the same way…okay, with a girl as his best friend, but you know. The last thing she wanted was to see her picture. The assignment had been `draw you with your favorite person'.
“Uh…I drew a picture in class today.” She said, wiping away her tears. “But Heather said it looked stupid.” Yugi nodded.
“Hey, I know this may some weird, but I think this might cheer you up.” He said, reaching into his pocket. He pulled out a card and handed it to Tea. “Grandpa started selling a new shipment of cards today, and he got me a few packs of cards. This one kind of reminded me of you.” Tea took the card from him and looked down at it.
“The Magician of Faith?” She read. “300 ATK…is that a lot?” She asked, looking up at Yugi.
“Not really. But it reminded me a lot of you. Her effect is really powerful. You know, like you.” Tea cocked her head, confused. “What I mean is, a lot of people, according to Grandpa, think the game is all about power. So they'd think a monster like Magician of Faith is useless because she has low attack points. Grandpa said they never take a closer look at the cards. He said they never find the Heart of the Cards.”
“So I think you and the Magician of Faith are a lot alike. People might think you aren't strong or pretty or smart. But when I take a closer look and find your heart, I think you're one of the best there is. You're strong, you're pretty, you're smart. You're…you're you.” Yugi blushed and coughed lightly. Tea smiled and threw her arms around Yugi.
“Yugi…thank you.”
 
-End Flashback-
 
“Grandpa found it while cleaning up the storeroom.” Yugi said. “I'm not sure how it got there, but I think you should have it back.” Tea gulped. She hadn't seen this card in almost ten years. She had lost it when she was 8, and hadn't been able to find it. She'd never told anyone, not even Yugi.
“Um…Yugi. Don't….you know, be offended or anything.” Tea turned and grabbed the trashcan behind her, dragging it in front of her. “Could you, uh, you know?” She asked. Yugi blushed and climbed on top of the can. He was about Tea's height now, maybe a few inches taller even.
“Yeah?” He asked, embarrassed. Tea sobbed and threw her arms around him again.
“You are just the nicest, sweetest, coolest guy in the world!” Tea cried into his chest. Yugi hugged her back and chuckled. “I lot it a long time ago, and I never told you…I thought you would be mad…”
“Are you kidding?' Yugi scoffed as Tea pulled back. “I could never be mad at you Tea, you've been my best friend since…forever. We're a team, right? We stick together and help each other out, no matter.” Tea wiped her tears on her sleeve.
“Yugi…” She murmured happily. Tea took a breath and slowly leaned forward. Yugi closed his eyes and pursed his lips. The two didn't even register the sound of squealing tires, or the sound of a car door opening. Yugi reached up to caress Tea's cheek as the two met in a soft kiss.
“Well this looks like a rather disgusting moment.” Yugi and Tea jumped apart, the moment quickly shattering. Seto Kaiba crossed his arms and glared at Tea, ignoring Yugi completely.
“Kaiba? What are you doing here?” Yugi asked, hopping down.
“Shut up Yugi, this is between me and your girlfriend.” Kaiba snapped. He pointed angrily at Tea. “You and me Gardner, right here, right now.” He ordered.
“What? Kaiba, what's going on?” Tea asked.
“Do you have any idea what you did to me?” Kaiba hissed. “Stockholders have been selling. They think I've lost my nerve because of a little girl like you! All because of some pathetic, meaningless title like the Queen of Games.”
“She's the official Queen now! She beat Pegasus himself and earned the title fair and square!” Yugi shouted. Kaiba's glared intensified as his fingernails dug into his palm.
“Yugi, don't take this the wrong way, but not the best time.” Tea said nervously.
“No one, and I mean no one beats me!” Kaiba growled. “Especially some nobody amateur like you!” Tea huffed.
“I may not be the best, but I'm still strong! I've beaten a lot of strong opponents today Kaiba, some of them with more heart and love for the game then you could ever have!” She replied. Kaiba snorted.
“Is this about that moronic Heart of the Cards rant you geeks are so fond of? Save it. I didn't come here to listen to your two-bit philosophy. I came here to correct a mistake.” Kaiba raised his arm and turned on his Duel Disk. “It's time we finish this once and for all Gardner. I came here to fix your little lucky win against me.” Tea fumed.
“I beat you fair and square Kaiba.” She shot back. “And if you want to duel again, I say bring it on!”
“Tea, are you sure about this?” Yugi asked. Tea nodded.
“I beat him once Yugi. I can…scratch that. I'm going to be him again. It's time Kaiba learned you can't have everything you want.” Tea walked out into the middle of the street and activated her Duel Disk.
“I'll beat you and put you in your place!” Kaiba laughed. “No one disrespects Seto Kaiba and gets away with it!”
“We'll see about that Kaiba! You're going down!” Tea said. “It's time to duel!”
 
I figured the Magician of Faith flashback would be cool. And if you think that Duel Monsters wouldn't have been around when they were 6, consider that Grandpa Muto was playing it with Author Hawkins when he met him `many years ago', so hey, creative freedom, right?
 
Anyhow, it's what I think you've all seen coming since the first chapter.
 
TEA GARDNER VS. SETO KAIBA, ROUND 2! Don't miss it!
 
I'm posting the first part of Tea's rematch with Kaiba in a few days. I changed chapter 16 so that Pegasus gave Tea 3 cards, not two. And speaking on a purely non-author POV, the first part of their rematch is, simply put…
 
Whoa.