Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Yugi's Little Secrets ❯ Dark Light ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

My eyes fluttered open as I took in my situation. I felt a pair of strong arms wrapped around my waist. My head was using a lean chest for a pillow. That could only mean one thing; I was snuggling against my lover. Glancing up, I noticed that I was right. Yami was still asleep. I guessed yesterday must have worn him out. Mirai stood guard near the windows in case of Anzu had any more surprises heading our way. Calin took the door. He was leaning against the frame with his sword partially out.

/Good morning, you two./ I called out to my duel monsters.

{Morning.} Calin replied with a smile. He was glad that the dart didn't hit me directly or he would have one less master.

[Good morning, Master Yugi.] Mirai responded, always polite and well mannered. I guessed he had to be as he was Yami's favorite duel monster, back when he was pharaoh.

/Why isn't Yami awake?/

[Master Yami had been up late last night. He, Bakura, and Ishtar were looking around the mansion, because they saw a duel monster leave. It could only have been Anzu. They didn't get a good look at her hikari, but they know the hikari is female.]

/Well, at least we know something about Anzu's hikari. That eliminates any guys we know. I wonder if it could be Tea. Anzu seems to look like her./

[That it could be.]

/So what is our plans for today?/

[Master Yami had given us specific orders to accompany you wherever you go.]

{We're not leaving you out of our sight.}

/Does that mean you're going to be following me into the bathroom?/ I inquired with an amused look.

{Um... I think you can handle that on your own. We'll be waiting outside for you.}

[I do believe you're right. We'll wait outside for you.]

/Mirai, would you mind helping me out? I want to use the bathroom, but I don't want to wake Yami up./

[Of course, Master Yugi.] He waved his hand and soon I was inside the bathroom.

I closed the door as I needed my privacy. After I finished my business there, I quietly walked outside and headed towards the door. My duel monsters were true to their words. They followed me to the dining area. I wondered where everyone was and then I saw Mokuba bringing out breakfast. He had a bowl and spoon in one hand. In his other hand, he had a box of cereal.

"Good morning, Mokuba," I greeted the younger Kaiba.

"Good morning, Yugi," Mokuba responded with a huge smile. "Big brother hasn't woken up and I'm guessing your yami hasn't either."

"Yeah," I replied. "They were searching the area for any 'present' Anzu might have left behind. I don't know what time they stopped as I was already asleep."

"Same here," Mokuba said. "Our chefs have today off. Ryou was asleep the last time I checked up on him. So are the girls. If you want breakfast, it looks like it will have to be cereal unless you know how to cook. Seto doesn't let me use the stove."

"I don't think you'll like my cooking," I said sheepishly. "I sometimes burn the food."

"Cereal, it is," Mokuba said. "We have more in the cupboard, if you don't like this." He held up a box of mini-wheats.

"That will be fine," I told him. "I'll go get the milk."

"Okay," Mokuba took a seat in one of the chairs.

I padded into the kitchen and headed straight for the fridge. Since I was here before, I knew where some of the items were. I pulled open the fridge door and grabbed the milk when I heard another pair of feet approaching me. I took a peek out to find a yawning Ryou heading towards me.

"Good morning, Yugi," he greeted me.

"Good morning, Ryou," I replied.

Ryou raised a brow at what I was doing. "Hungry?"

"Yes," I answered. "Mokuba isn't allowed to use the stove and I don't know how to cook so we were going to eat cereal."

"Problem solved," Ryou chirped. He went over to the fridge to see what he could use to cook breakfast. "I'll have something whipped up in twenty minutes. Could you wait that long or will you faint from hunger?" He had an amuse tone in his voice.

"I think I'll survive," I said over exaggerating. "Somehow, I'll manage." We both giggled and I placed the milk back into the fridge. I headed back to the dining room.

"Where's the milk?" Mokuba asked. He hadn't poured his cereal, but was patiently waiting for me.

"Ryou is going to cook for us," I said, smiling. "He woke up not too long ago and came through the other kitchen door."

"No wonder why I didn't see him," Mokuba said. He picked up his cereal and supplies, before heading back to the kitchen with it. Good thing, he didn't pour his cereal into his bowl as we were going to have breakfast prepared for us. I wondered what Ryou will cook. Whatever it was, I knew it was bound to be delicious.

A few minutes later, Mokuba emerged from the kitchen without anything in his hands. "How did you sleep last night?"

"I slept well, considering what has happened to me within the past twenty four hours," I replied, smiling.

"Yeah," Mokuba agreed with me. He took a seat near me. "Big Brother has been working to hard these past few days. Ever since the killing, he has gone out of his way to make sure that our mansion is safely guarded. He even went as far as making Ishtar his head of security." He started fidgeting in his seat. "I know that he has changed, but something about him scares me."

"Don't worry," I assured the younger Kaiba brother. "He's normally like that. Besides wouldn't you want your head of security to be tough and scary looking?"

"Yeah," Mokuba giggled. "I don't want anyone messing with Seto. He has been looking out for me for a long time, but he has no one to look out for him. I'm glad that Ishtar took the job. It will take some of the stress from my brother."

"Your brother often takes more than he can handle," I said, shaking my head. "He needs to learn how to cut back or he's going to overwork himself."

"That's where your yamis come in," Mokuba chirped. "I know they'll help him, especially with this Anzu problem. She's one nasty bi..."

"Mokuba, watch your language."

The raven haired boy spun around to find his brother walking into the room. "Good morning Seto. Ryou is making breakfast for us."

"That's good, considering the chefs have the day off," Seto said. He took the nearest seat to his brother. "Where are the others?"

"Yami is sleeping," I said. "We thought we would let you sleep in as you were up late last night."

"I was up," Seto said. "But I turned in earlier than the yamis. I figured since I didn't have any of my former magic, I wouldn't be of any use to them. Why even bother staying awake and helping them search when I'll be in their way?"

"Good point," I agreed with him.

"Big brother?"

"What is it Mokuba?" Seto inquired but not too harshly.

"I was wondering if we could go on vacation after this whole Anzu situation has been taken care of," Mokuba said with huge puppy dog eyes.

"I have a business to run," Seto almost snapped back. "I'll see what I can do, but I can't make any promises."

"That's good enough for me," Mokuba cheered and jumped out of his seat to give his brother a big hug. "I was wondering if we could take the others with us. You know a group vacation."

"Only for you Mokuba," Seto said rubbing his little brother's head playfully.

"Great, now we only have to take care of Anzu and her hikari," Mokuba smiled.

"If it were only that easy," I sighed and laid my head on my arms. "She's like a boomerang that never goes away, but she keeps on coming back."

"You can say that again," Seto agreed with me. "She is something else."

A yawning violet teen chose to make his appearance known. He glanced over towards us and plopped into the chair next to me, before resting his head on the table.

"I guess you're not a morning person, huh?" Mokuba inquired.

"What makes you think that?" he replied sarcastically.

I laughed nervously and scratched the back of my head. "Don't mind him. Malik is always like this in the morning."

Seto nodded his head and went back into deep thought. I wondered what he could be thinking about. He was probably thinking about how to keep his little brother safe, especially with Anzu and her hikari on the loose. I don't blame him for wanting to take care of his family.

Malik seemed more tired than usual. I turned to talk to him and found him dozing off. What happened last night, after I went to bed? From what I heard, the yamis were searching the area for any suspicious items Anzu might have left behind. No doubt they were sleeping comfortably in their beds, but that does not explain why Malik was tired.

Trying to find something to amuse me, I found my duel monsters in two different places, keeping an eye on me. They were so quiet I had completely forgotten about them. I needed someone to talk to as Malik was sleeping at the table. Mokuba had brought down a hand held video game and was playing it. I glanced over to discover it was one of Kaiba's recent games. He found a way to allow duelist to practice dueling without the use of a dueling system or an opponent. It also allowed not serious duelist to have some fun as well.

/I'm bored./

{Same here.}

Mirai shot Calin a dark glance. [We have a duty.]

{You're always a stick in the mud.}

[Call me what you like, but Master Yami had specifically asked us to guard Master Yugi. You don't want to disappoint him, do you?]

{No, I don't.} Calin shook his head while answering.

/I need someone talk to or I'll be bored to death./ I banged my head on the table. The others didn't notice as they were too wrapped up in what they were doing.

[We will not let you die! Come, let us vanquish this demon before it kills you.]

/It's only an expression./ I stifled a laugh.

{See what I mean, he takes things too literally.}

[You aren't serious enough.] Mirai said quite irritated.

/If you two could keep it down./ I spoke to them rather harshly, even to my own ears.

The two duel monsters nodded their head and let the argument slide. They both apologized for their behavior. I kinda spaced because the next thing I knew I saw Calin's head snap to a certain direction. His sword was in his hand, which alerted the others. Mirai pointed his staff towards the direction the elf was looking at.

"I don't look that bad, do I?" Her voice held an amused tone.

"Wing, what are you doing back here?" I inquired. "Not that I don't mind you being here, this early in the morning."

"I came here to check up on you," Wing replied. "And also pick up some breakfast on the way to work."

"I thought you only worked at night," I said thoughtfully.

"That's what I thought too," Seto agreed with me. Of course, Malik was catching some zees so he wouldn't know the difference.

"I sometimes do work as a web programmer," Wing replied sheepishly. "It's more of a hobby than a career. I design web pages for small companies or for charities. Currently, I'm working on our home website. It's really outdated."

"I see," Seto said. "What language do you use?"

"I use several languages, depending on what functions I want it to perform," Wing replied. "For instance, I'm using html for the front of our webpage. PHP is for the interface with DB2 as the database."

"I have no idea what you said, but it sounds cool," I chirped.

"Have you thought of using perl?" Seto inquired.

"I have used it a few times," Wing said thoughtfully. "I wanted our website to be simple and PHP is a simple interface language."

"With all of your traveling and other websites, you don't want to be tied down with creating yours," Seto observed.

She nodded her head. "Anyways, I'll be off before the traffic really backs up."

"Would you like to join us?" I hastily asked; then glanced over to the older Kaiba, who nodded his head.

"Thanks," Wing replied, taking a seat next to the sleeping Malik. "Let me guess, he's not a morning person."

"Good guess," I replied though not very sarcastically. "I wonder why he's tired."

"With him, who knows?" Seto said, before returning to his thoughts.

"Is he always like this?" Wing asked me.

"Nah, this is good day," I said.

Out of nowhere, a tanned hand shot out and grabbed onto her hand. Malik mumbled incoherent words in his sleep before pulling her hand closer to him.

"Um," Wing said nervously. She tugged her hand, trying to get it out of Malik's grasp.

Shaking my head, I tried to wake up the sleeping Egyptian boy, sitting next to me. Mokuba's giggling wasn't helping either as he tried to stifle it behind his hand. "Malik, wake up."

Somehow he managed to sleep through us yelling at him. Mokuba even joined the scream feast. Ryou rushed out to see what the problem was, but he went back to the kitchen when he found out we were only trying to wake up Malik. He suggested we try another means other than screaming, because it obviously wasn't working. Seto on the other hand appeared to be getting a headache from all the commotion. It was a wonder none of the others woke up.

Wing was fed up with it and finally started poking him in the side until he woke up. She glared at him for holding her hand. The Egyptian boy blushed and immediately removed his hand from her hand, though he didn't apologize for it verbally.

"What did you do last night?" I inquired the embarrassed boy.

"I went to sleep, but I found it hard to sleep when my room was next to the crime scene," Malik said sourly. "First I heard that dragon; followed by yelling and running. You can guess who it came from. After the merry chase Anzu led them on, they spent half the evening searching for her. Part of which was spent near my window."

"That's not good," Wing voiced our thoughts. "What you need is caffeine?" She jumped up from her chair, completely startling Malik who almost fell out of his chair. Before we could say anything, she disappeared into the kitchen.

"Someone woke up on the right side of the bed this morning," Calin commented.

"I wonder what she ate or drank," Seto said, blinking his eyes. "I'll need to take a note of it and ban whatever it is from our kitchen."

"Aw," Mokuba pouted. "I want to have what she had."

"We don't need you to be anymore hyper than you already are," Seto said sternly. His blue eyes said there was no room for argument.

"She said she didn't have anything to eat," Calin mentioned.

"Yeah, she did mention that," I said. "In any case, what are we going to be doing today?"

"I know I have a company to run and a killer to hunt down," Seto said rigidly.

"You don't even have magic, so how can you hope to defeat her," Mokuba argued. He was evidently worried about his older brother.

"I'll be taking the yamis along with me," Seto assured his younger brother. "They'll be more than a match for her."

"I hope so," I said. "I really do hope so."

"Why are your duel monsters here?" Malik asked, looking at the two duel monsters.

"They're guarding me from Anzu and her hikari," I replied casually. "I'm not proficient with my magic skills and he didn't want anyone to harm me while he was away."

After an hour, we had finished off our portion of the breakfast. Ryou joined us as soon as he was finished cooking enough breakfast for the rest of the guests. Knowing Joey and Tristan, he probably cooked enough food to feed an entire army. Serenity, Mai, Isis, Shadi, and Grandpa joined in the middle of our meal. We didn't bother waking up the two garbage disposals as we wanted to eat our meal in peace. The two said boys were mad that we hadn't woken them up, but dropped it when they saw the large pile of food leftover from our meal.

Wing was going to leave as she had to update her website when Seto offered to loan her his computer. She informed him that all she needed was an internet connection and that was it. She had brought her laptop with her. He showed her to one of his guests rooms, which wasn't occupied and allowed her to plug her laptop into the wall.

We decided to wait until the yamis woke up before we make any further plans. Mokuba and I played video games. Malik and Ryou watched with one of them occasionally jumping into the game. Malik preferred any game with violence in it. Ryou stuck to the racing games and the kiddie games as Malik referred to. I didn't mind playing either game as long as I was entertained and not grossed out by the graphics.

The girls finally joined us in the entertainment room. We squared off against each other on the dance dance revolution game. Ryou had some trouble when it came with the fast combo steps. Malik had no trouble, but sometimes he lost his concentration. Isis only played the easy ones, because she didn't want to look like a klutz. Serenity tried her best at the game. Mokuba needless to say did very well as he owned the game. I wouldn't have thought Seto to own any type of gaming machine other than a duel monsters system.

"That was a good game," Serenity said, taking a seat in one of the chairs. "I never thought I would get such a workout from a game!"

"Neither did I," Isis said. "And I only danced the easy ones."

"You're out of shape, sis," Malik teased his older sister.

"That's what you think!" Isis yelled at him, before giving chase to the Egyptian boy. He had only a second to react and took off immediately, causing her to miss him.

"That was completely unexpected," Ryou said. He sat in a chair next to me.

"I would have never guessed Isis had a wild side to her," Mai said. "But you never really know a person."

"That's true," I agreed with her logic. "I don't even know myself."

"So what does everyone want to do?" Ryou asked everyone.

"I don't know," was basically the response.

Malik burst into the room followed by a pissed off Isis. From behind her, I could see an angry Ishtar with a concerned Yami not too far. As soon as Malik entered the room, he immediately hid behind my chair, using me as a shield against his sister.

"I'm not in the mood to deal with this!" Ishtar growled loudly. He then made his way to his frightened aibou and picked his light up, before sitting on a chair with his hikari in his lap. Malik curled up against his yami, laying his head on his shoulder.

"That was also completely unexpected," Ryou restated his earlier one. His yami rolled his eyes and sat next to his hikari.

I glanced over towards my yami with hopeful eyes. Surely, he wouldn't come over to me and cuddle or something. The Ishtar and Bakura I knew from before wouldn't be caught dead doing something so feminine as they called it. Smirking Yami made his way over towards me and picked me up before placing me on his lap.

"So what's the plan?" I asked him.

"The plan is to set up a trap," Yami said with a stern voice. "As of the trap, we don't know how we're going to construct it."

"You don't have a plan?" Bakura gasped. "You're losing your touch pharaoh."

"Shut it tomb robber," my darker half snapped at him. "We know she isn't your average killer or robber. She knows how to locate and disarm traps. Hopefully, she hasn't discovered the advantages of using today's technology or we'd be in a world of trouble."

"I hope so," Ishtar said. "That's the last thing we need."

"I wonder what she's up to," Ryou mused out loud. He held out his ring to see if it was pointing to anyone other than the people present. The dagger like points of his ring pointed to a handful of millennium items; however, they belonged to us. Malik held the millennium rod. Shadi had two: the millennium scale and ankh. Isis wore the millennium tauk. I, of course, possessed the millennium puzzle.

"We're back to square one again," Ishtar mumbled.

"It could be worse," Mokuba said without thinking.

"Don't jinx it!" Bakura shouted at the younger Kaiba.

"Sorry," Mokuba said sarcastically. "By now three of you have been target and you're standing here having a discussion."

Isis gasped as the color drained from her face. "I think I may have a clue to as our mystery hikari is."

"Who is it?" Yami asked, taking command of the situation.

"I'm not sure," Isis said. "My tauk was only able to give me a glimpse of her, but I do know she is very familiar to us. I can't put my finger on who she is, but I can only guess her identity will be revealed."

"I'm sure you'll figure it out, sis," Malik said, trying to make up for that earlier comment.

"You said that we know her," I said as I placed together the pieces. "Fact number 1: we do know the hikari is female. Fact number 2: Isis knows this hikari but she isn't able to verify her identity. Fact number 3: the hikari must have a grudge against one of us hikaris to be convinced to take one of us out."

"That's a lot of facts, but they aren't helping us," Yami scowled. To tell you the truth, he kinda looked cute doing that.

"Isn't it better to have the pieces than to have nothing at all," Shadi spoke up, alerting to us to his presence. Man, he should speak up more. We kept forgetting he was in the same room as us.

"What do you mean by that?" Bakura growled, not wanting to deal with Shadi's riddles.

"He means that we should be grateful that we even have these clues," Ryou tried to calm his darker half down. "It's better than nothing."

"I guess he does have a point," Ishtar agreed with them. "Still, I don't see how the pieces of the puzzle fit together."

"Since we all go to the same school, why don't we try calling all the girls?" Malik suggest out of the blue. "Maybe there's a connection."

"I think you're onto something," Yami said, backing up the Egyptian blonde. "Let's start calling them. Perhaps, we may be able to get another clue."

"One of you can use the phone down here," Mokuba said, motioning towards the phone that was next to him. "We have more lines in your bedrooms."

"Yugi and Yami can stay down here," Ryou volunteered us as he jumped off his yami's lap, to his annoyance. "The rest of us will go back to our bedroom. Besides, I have to take a look at my address book."

The first person that popped into my mind was Tea. I knew she was in the same class as the three of us and she happened to have a grudge against me. Those clues alone were enough to give her warrant, but I had to be sure that it was her. I couldn't point my finger and accuse her without solid evidence. I hesitantly picked up the phone and started dialing her familiar number. The others were getting up to head to their rooms.

Placing it on speaker phone so that Mokuba and Yami could hear, I turned up the volume. The phone rang a few times before a cheerful voice could be heard. It was that of Tea Gardner. The others cringed at her voice.

"Tea Gardner here, what can I do for ya?" Oh my gosh, even her voice sounds annoying over the phone.

"What are you doing answering the phone?" an angry female voice sounded behind her.

"I'm seeing if it's Bandit Keith," Tea replied.

"If it is him, tell him to hurry up with our order," Anzu, the now identified voice, called out. "I'm not paying him to slack off."

"Okay," Tea called to her. "What if it's Pegasus?"

"Then tell him, he has to wait," Anzu warned threateningly.

My darker half motioned for everyone to be quiet. He used a spell that changed his voice. "Hello, I'm from AT&T telephone company. I was wondering if you're looking to change your long distance service provider."

"No thanks, I'm happy with Verizon(1)," Tea replied, trying to sound sorry. "Bye." She hung up the phone as we came out of our shock.

"I can't believe what I heard," Mokuba was the first one to come out of his shock.

"Well, all the evidence seemed to point to her," I confessed. "I thought she could have been the one, but I dismissed it. Next time, I should follow my intuition."

"No wonder why Anzu looked so much like Tea," Yami thought out loud. "Tea is Anzu's hikari. Still that doesn't explain Bandit Keith's or Pegasus' involvement."

"Anzu said they ordered something from him," Malik spoke up. "She paid him extra, because it was an important part of her plan."

"Then there's Pegasus," Ryou added. "I'm sure he's up to no good. Most likely, he's the one financing this entire operation."

"Now the question is why," Shadi spoke up. He seriously needed to speak more often.

"Sore loser?" Ryou shrugged.

"What do you mean by that?" Malik asked.

"During the Duelist Kingdom Tournament, Pegasus lost to Yugi and Yami," Ryou explained. "I doubt he has gotten past that defeat."

"It's starting to make sense," Isis said. "Now, my vision makes sense."

"So now that we have this information, what do we do next?"

(1) I incredibly loathe Verizon ever since they made me and my room mate pay for $50 worth of phone calls we never made.