Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Normal Life? ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I own neither YYH nor Inuyasha but have on the spur of the moment taken them hostage for this story
A/N: Hmm…. I know it's been a while since I last wrote and I know there are those out there waiting for updates on The Past Always Comes to Haunt Your Future and When the Darkness Takes Over and I promise I'm working on it but please be patient. Lots of things happening and writing isn't as important to me as it used to be. Gomen.
`word' Youko
`word' Kurama
 
A Normal Life?
ForestSprite
Chapter 4
 
Kagome had since excused herself to the kitchen leaving the three men in the living room. Yusuke followed her form until she disappeared behind the door somewhat agitatedly. “I just… can't believe it. Her boyfriend is a… girlfriend?” he remarked after Kurama filled him in on everything.
 
In Kurama's mind Youko snickered in amusement. His reaction is more comical than I thought it would be.
 
Kurama gave a small smile even as he scolded his avatar.
“Hn,” Hiei said in that sociable way of his, eyes appearing to be somewhat amused at the ex-detectives plight. “The perfect way for ningen parents to avoid having their daughters become pregnant. Have them date the idiot so that they swing the other way,” he mocked.
 
Yusuke took a wild swing at him that he was easily able to avoid. “Stupid hybrid,” the punk boy grumbled staring at him loathingly while said hybrid smirked. Kurama shook his head at the twos antics before snapping to attention when he heard Yusuke speak.
 
“What was that again?” he asked ignoring the slight surprised look from the ex-detective and the amused one of the forbidden child.
 
“Eh? Umm sure, I just said that we should probably make our excuses soon so we can get out of here. I don't feel like staying very long,” Yusuke said appearing somewhat embarrassed as he spoke looking anywhere but at his two companions, shifting nervously while his hands twitched at his side. Kurama smiled at the uncharacteristic behavior of the man who was still trying to maintain his tough-guy appearance.
 
“We should definitely thank Kagome for healing us,” Kurama said gently reminding the boy of his manners. “If it hadn't been for her we wouldn't have made it this far.”
 
“If it weren't for her I'd still have Keiko,” the man grumbled slightly to himself earning himself a disapproving glance from the red-headed kitsune.
 
He's just jealous that he's not with Kagome, the silver fox murmured sensuously in his head while he tried his best to ignore him.
 
You know there is nothing appropriate whatsoever about your interest in her? She's taken and by Keiko too, he pointed out to his other half who just casually shrugged it aside as he wrapped his soul and Kurama's closer together. He could just picture the mischievous smile on the demons face.
 
There's nothing wrong with sharing one's partner, he offered golden eyes glowing in a predatory manner.
 
Enough! I refuse to hear anymore, Kurama said sternly as well as somewhat surprised. Sure the kitsune had been interested in other people before but this was taking interest to a whole new level. It was almost obsession and he hadn't even known her a whole day yet.
 
I was just suggesting… Youko was cut off by a sharp negative reply from the red head and crossed his arms before him pouting as he was denied.
 
You're a pervert and that's all there is to it. Offer something only if it's helpful, huh? Kurama growled slightly annoyed in turn.
 
Youko growled deeply. Watch it kit. I can make your entire existence miserable.
 
I don't think there is much more you can do to me to make me more miserable than I already am, Kurama replied rather humorously remembering that day that he so clearly wanted to forget but just wasn't able to.
 
Aw, shit. I didn't mean to… Youko trailed off not sure what else to say so just stopped. It wasn't supposed to end like that.
 
Kurama didn't say anything. What was he supposed to say anyway? He couldn't change the past and they, both he and Youko, had always known it was going to happen someday but to have it happen like that…
 
“Hey fox-boy, you okay?” Yusuke called waving his hand in front of the dazed red head's face snapping him from his trance.
 
He heard a small giggle and turned to see Kagome come from the kitchen watching them with her lips curved in a small smile. “Keiko is just finishing with the final touch-ups and dinner will be ready if you'd like to come into the kitchen and take a seat.”
 
Yusuke looked at her confused reminding Kurama that he hadn't told the teen yet about Kagome needing to leave later that night. “They're having a farewell dinner tonight because Kagome has to leave tonight for business and she kindly offered to share the meal with us.”
 
Yusuke looked away from her rubbing the back of his head almost sheepishly as he began to speak. “Yea… well I'm not really hungry or anything and…” he trailed off as his stomach growled really loud all of a sudden making him look slightly embarrassed. “Okay, so I might be a little hungry but I don't want to intrude or anything.”
 
Kagome laughed again. “Yusuke I understand that this might be awkward for you but please try to relax. I'm trying to open the path for Keiko here so she can continue being friends with all of you again. It's been rather uncomfortable with her constantly fretting about her old friends since we got together. It's not for me but Keiko.”
 
Yusuke looked at her carefully before nodding his head slowly. “Yea, sure,” he murmured. Kurama looked at him somewhat surprised. He'd been expecting an argument or something, but for the ex-detective to give in so easily…
 
Look at his eyes and the way they're gleaming. He's planning something, Youko informed him.
 
I wonder what it is, Kurama murmured thoughtfully to his counterpart as he looked at Yusuke curiously. You don't think he's going to try and steal Keiko back do you?
 
Your guess is as good as mine, Youko replied just as thoughtfully. Although, I wouldn't put it past him. Kurama nodded his head in agreement. They just may have to keep an eye on the boy after all to make sure he didn't cause any trouble.
 
“Good,” Kagome said in delight as she smiled at them. “Please come in and sit down then,” she gestured to the door behind her and watched with a small smile as the boys pushed past the door and entered the kitchen.
 
Kurama the last to go held the door open as he glanced back at her. “Ladies first,” he murmured smoothly. Kagome blushed ever so slightly again as she thanked him and moved past the door first with him following right behind her.
 
Ooh, that was smooth of you, the kitsune complimented him sounding rather amused as he entered the elegant looking dining room that had a large square table covered by a delicate looking lace cover, somewhere around twenty chairs surrounding it while only five spots had been made up. The table was littered with bowls and pots and pans, each smelling delicious and drool worthy. Moving to the head of the table was Kagome, who nodded her head elegantly at Keiko who took her place at the mysterious woman's right side and everyone else took the remaining seats. Once everyone had taken a seat Kagome smiled kindly at them. “Welcome to our humble abode. Please enjoy the delicious meal prepared for us by my precious person sitting to my right.”
 
How strange… Youko said somewhat conversationally as he regarded her through Kurama's emerald eyes. It's almost like she knows what sitting at the head entails.
 
What is that supposed to mean? Kurama asked his counterpart who had fallen quiet again as they both observed the girl who grabbing the first bowl in front of her placed some on her plate and offered it to Keiko next who accepted the offerings then handed it to Hiei… who had somehow gotten roped into all of this. ”Dig in,” she encouraged as that simple action seemed to spur them into getting their own food and offering it to their neighbors.
 
What I wouldn't give to see her host a grand gala in this giant dining room of hers. I bet you 500 yen that she does this often; hosting parties and breaking the ice that is. Did you notice how she offered the first of the offerings on the table to the person on her right when it was Yusuke sitting to her left, someone she probably she have differed to, so as to make things easier? Do you understand the meaning behind that action? Youko asked his whole being practically shimmering in intense curiosity and puzzlement.
 
To say Kurama was surprised would be a lie. He was completely… he was going to have to make up a word for this… confuzzled… talk about interesting feelings. I don't believe I'm following you, he allowed somewhat hesitantly.
 
The kitsune inside his head gave a mock sigh of long suffering. Listen kit, and listen well. Along time ago, before manners and good behavior were thrown out the window…
 
Like you're one to talk, you sexual, hormonally driven demon, Kurama drawled.
 
Youko growled in annoyance. As I was saying, long ago large parties were thrown usually in the interest of the person throwing it. So it could be anything from politics, to business, right down to bloody yakuza business. The people invited were usually ones who would be able to help the party thrower get to where they wanted to be but sometimes parties were also used as de-fusers.
 
De-fusers? I'm not so sure I follow you Youko, Kurama said a little puzzled. Where was the fox going with this not so relevant history lesson of etiquette?
 
And here I thought you were the smart one, Youko taunted earning a flare of anger from the other boy which made him give a fanged grin. As I was saying, de-fusers were a way to break the ice between rivalry groups, usually thrown by a government official, lords of a land, etc. I heard once that long before I made my show as a thief there used to be a youkai lord who would have grand dinner parties for such a purpose… and he had a secret weapon. His secret weapon happened to be a human woman who it was said to be extremely apt at breaking the ice among people and clearing the air so to speak.
 
A small amount of understanding struck Kurama. I see, Kagome is acting as a de-fuser in a possible volatile situation but not acting outwardly so as to let Yusuke think she is babying him along so to speak.
 
Exactly so, Youko said as he glowed in approval. His host was such a smart creature… for a human. But boy were there times where he had to wonder.
 
Kurama looked to Kagome noting the way she kept the conversation going at the table drawing Keiko and Yusuke in and when there was silence filling it with a small witty comment or offering a short, amusing tale. With a small smile on his face Kurama too partook in the conversation catching the grateful smile she cast his way and acknowledging it with a wink.
 
It was just after dessert had been brought to the table that the door bell rang, quickly and almost magically dispersing the cheery air that had been developing in the dining room. Kagome and Keiko both exchanged furtive glances before Kagome scooted her chair back and gracefully got to her feet and moved to Keiko's chair pulling it back a little so the girl could get out of it comfortably.
 
Holding her arm out for the girl to take Kagome looked at her guests. “Please excuse us, we must see to our latest arrival, do continue to enjoy the food,” she said with a small nod before the two of them exited.
 
“Now what?” Yusuke asked the question on everyone's mind.
 
 
End Chapter
 
Extremely sorry for the long delay but I hope you think it's worth it. A lot of things have come up since the last chapter and working on my stories had to go to the bottom of my list of priorities. Thankfully though it seems everything is cleared up and I'll be good to start working on this stuff again. Please look forward to the next chapter which I'm working on even as you're reading this.
 
ForestSprite