Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Freak Show ❯ Homeward Bound ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~Kurama: CN decided to finally show an episode of YYH with me in it.

~Belle: Yep! You kicked butt in it too! That's why I decided to go ahead and finish this chapter about two weeks before intended.

~Kagome: Excellent!

~Kurama: However, now Belle MUST focus on her studies.

~Belle: Kurama is so logical. I'll see you guys in two weeks!

R&R!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kouga came to a sudden halt outside of Kaede's hut with Kagome in his arms in about twenty minutes after leaving the group. He looked at Kagome with a slightly confused look as if he just realized something.

"Kagome, I -ummm, well I don't actually know where your village is." Kouga admitted a bit sheepishly while avoiding Kagome's eyes. "I do know its around here someplace though."

Kagome sighed softly in frustration. "Set me down Kouga-kun. We'll have Kaede look at my arm and make sure it is set straight. We have to wait for the rest to get here now anyway."

Kouga averted his gaze away from the injured miko. "I guess I didn't think this through too well did I?"

Kagome walked to stand in front of her `hero' and grabbed his chin with her uninjured hand to make him face her. "Kouga, you must learn to think before you act. Now follow me; you get the pleasure of entertaining me while we wait for the others."

Kagome led Kouga inside of Kaede's hut. The old woman had heard them speaking and was waiting for them on her doorstep. She hurried Kagome inside to inspect her arm.

"What happened child?" Kaede questioned as she examined the arm with a soft touch.

"Sango accidentally grazed my arm with her bone boomerang. Kurama is going to take me back home so we can get it examined, but Kouga left them all behind." Kagome informed her elder while casting an annoyed glace at the wolf youkai.

"I'm really sorry Kagome." Kouga told her trying to take her uninjured hand in his to offer her comfort, but she roughly pulled it out of his grasp.

Kaede almost laughed at the little display. "Well, child it would appear that the bone is set properly. These vines are holding it in place very well. How did you manage that?"

"Kurama did that." Kagome answered as she stood up. Her arm wasn't really hurting anymore. Kaede didn't even give her any herbs for pain and yet her arm was not aching. She was rather confused. "So how long do you think it will take them to get here?"

Kouga looked thoughtful. "I'd say about two hours."

Kagome looked at him with rage burning behind her eyes. "Two hours! What am I supposed to do for two hours?"

"I told you I'd do anything to make it up to you." Kouga answered hoping that she would ask him to do something that would be entertaining for both of them.

At first Kagome looked ready to kill him. Then a look of mischief crossed her features. "Okay Kouga-kun, it may be hard to do with only one hand, but I know exactly how you will entertain me."

Kouga swallowed thickly. `This can not be good.'

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Two hours later the other members of the shard collecting quest arrived. Inuyasha and Kurama practically raced each other to Kaede's hut. Both stopped to stare at the scene in shock.

"Hey guys!" Kagome greeted cheerfully as she rose from her seat behind Kouga and smoothed down her pants. "It's about time you got here; I'm ready to go home now."

Inuyasha and Kurama couldn't speak. They could only stare at Kouga.

Miroku, Sango, the transformed Kirara, and Shippo quickly made their way into the hut as well. Shippo was the first to react. He started laughing and soon everyone joined in.

"What," Inuyasha gasped, "what the hell happened to your hair?"

Kurama broke into a grin as he watched the blush rise on the wolf youkai's cheeks. `Serves him right for stealing our woman,' Youko thought.

"Well, Kagome was bored and she needs to go home. So see ya!" Kouga waved goodbye to Kagome and promptly left the scene of the crime.

Sango walked up to Kagome with a suspicious gleam to her eye. "What possessed you to braid Kouga's hair and fill it with flowers?"

Kagome grinned at her friend and raised her uninjured arm into the air. "Just curious if I could braid with one hand. And flowers are such a beautiful element."

Kurama smiled and approached Kagome with his confident stride. He reached into his hair and pulled out a rose. He ran his fingers across the stem of it and muttered something softly that caused the thorns to vanish.

"Beauty should compliment beauty." Kurama told her as he placed the thorn-less rose behind her ear.

Inuyasha growled at the display of affection. Why couldn't he ever make her smile like that? Stupid Flower-boy was stealing all his glory. "How do you feel Kagome?" Inuyasha inquired in his most sincere voice.

"Better, my arm is set correctly. I'd still like to get it x-rayed and possibly put into a cast though." Kagome answered him before redirecting her gaze once again upon Kurama. "Ready to go?"

"I shall follow wherever you direct me, my lady." Kurama replied as he and Kagome began to leave the hut together and head towards the well.

Miroku noticed the looks of jealousy Inuyasha directed the other boy's way. He never looked at Kouga with that much envy. It was ironic that he was so jealous and didn't even know about the kiss that morning.

"Something bothering you, Inuyasha?" Miroku asked as the two time travelers jumped into the well.

"Keh, nothing wrong with me you nosy monk." Inuyasha left to go sulk in a tree.

Sango leaned closer to Miroku's ear, "I would definitely say that things are tense between Inuyasha and Kurama."

"I'd love to know his reaction if he found out about their kiss." Miroku told her in a conspiratory voice as he wrapped a comfortable arm around Sango's shoulder and tried with all his will power to keep it there. It began to slide down to forbidden territory before he jerked it away roughly himself.

Sango looked at him for a moment, "is everything okay hoshi?"

"Never better. Let's go spy on our hanyou friend. I have a feeling he'll be needing advice soon." Miroku led her towards Kaede's.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

On the other side of the well a certain fire-demon was annoyed. He had been waiting for a good day at least for his partner to return. `Stupid fox, he better return soon or else I'm going through that well to retrieve him.'

Kurama carried Kagome out of the well with him being careful of her injured arm.

"It's about time, Fox." A short but muscular demon with spiky black hair and a disgruntled look saluted.

Kurama and Kagome looked away from each other's faces to meet the annoyed voice that greeted them.

"Hiei? What are you doing here?" Kurama asked calmly as he placed Kagome on her feet. She lost her balance a bit so he quickly wrapped his arm securely around her slender waist.

"We've got work to do." Hiei replied. He seemed to finally notice the injured girl in Kurama's embrace. "Who's the chick?"

Kagome raised an eyebrow. "I'm Kagome and this is my home. Apparently you are Hiei and need Kurama, or else I'd ask for your name and business."

"Clever." Hiei told her before ignoring her once again. "Let's go Fox, I got better stuff to do."

"I am taking Kagome to the hospital. Then I'm visiting my mother. Then I shall accompany you in this task." Kurama told him in a deathly calm voice that sounded oddly familiar to Sesshoumaru.

"Hn." Hiei replied in acceptance as he walked alongside the two teens. "By the way, no one is home."

Kurama nodded. "That makes it easier for us because now we don't have to explain to your family what happened." Kurama reassured Kagome. "Do you have a car I could drive, Kagome?"

Kagome shook her head. Hiei let out an exasperated sigh. "I have a car. I'll drive. You two hop into the back." He led them to a black Monte Carlo.

"When did you get a car?" Kurama inquired as he and Kagome climbed into the backseat.

"Jr. suggested I use it so I can blend in during occasions such as these." Hiei answered as he started the engine and began the drive to the hospital.

"I'm surprised you can reach the gas pedal." Kurama joked.

Hiei glared at him through the rear view mirror. "You realize that if you were anyone else you would be dead now."

Kurama merely smiled at his friend's reflection before turning his head back towards Kagome. "How does it feel?"

Kagome looked over at him. "Strangely, it doesn't hurt. I wonder if my miko powers have something to do with it."

The three rode in silence after that.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Inuyasha was sitting beside the members of his motley-crew and a single tear escaped his eye. No one seemed to notice it but Miroku. Even Inuyasha didn't realize he had shed a tear.

"Inuyasha, what is bothering you? Please tell us. We are your friends and want to help you." Miroku told his troubled friend.

Inuyasha continued to stare into the flames of the fire they sat beside. He was more depressed than he could remember being. He was so depressed that his emotional guard was down. "She hates me now," he whispered.

"Why would you think that?" Sango inquired joining in the conversation.

Inuyasha turned to look at her. "For the same reason that you guys hate me."

"We do not hate you Inuyasha and I doubt if Kagome could ever hate you." Miroku told him.

"Then why did she so easily fall for that flower boy?" Inuyasha demanded while anger seemed to rise into his voice.

"Perhaps it's because you treat her like crap you baka! Kurama is nice, attentive, and a true friend to her. He would never leave her in the middle of the night to go chase some dead clay soul stealer that only wants to take him to hell and murder her for the rest of her soul!" Shippo shouted at Inuyasha. He was tired of the way he treated Kagome. He really liked Kurama and he was much better for Kagome.

Surprisingly instead of yelling at the little Kitsune, Inuyasha sighed dejectedly. "You're right. She's the first real friend I ever had. She was the first to accept me for being who I am, completely and whole heartedly. All I've ever done is belittle her."

The others gaped at their friend in shock at his openness. He must have had some sake earlier or something.

"She's my best friend and all I have ever offered her is pain and suffering that she never deserved."

Miroku donned his meditative stance before answering. "Perhaps, you should tell Kagome-sama this."

"You are Kagome's best friend as well Inuyasha. Your constant betrayals have been hard on her. You need to make it up to her." Sango told him.

Inuyasha looked between her and Miroku. "What should I do? Apologize? Apologize for what? Why not let her hate me? It's better this way. All I bring to people is misery."

Shippo walked over towards Inuyasha and hopped into his lap gaining his attention. "Inuyasha, Kagome shouldn't have to hate anyone but Naraku."

Inuyasha came to a decision. He stood up and left the group without a word while heading towards a familiar well.

"Well that was easier than I thought it would be." Miroku told the others as they watched him leave.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kagome, Kurama, and Hiei were just leaving the hospital. Kagome's arm was in a sling but not a cast. She possessed a contemplative look to her face.

"I don't understand. I thought it was broken." Kagome muttered once again.

Kurama answered, "it was broken. I agree with your previous guess about your miko powers affecting your healing process. That is the only explanation."

"Kurama, I suggest you call your mother. We do not have time for you to visit." Hiei told him as he slid into the driver's seat as his two passengers climbed into the back of his car.

"Okay, I suppose I could do that. What is this important mission? I was under the impression that I no longer was obligated to the Spirit Detectives." Kurama replied with a raised brow.

"Hn. We may not be obligated to be Spirit Detectives anymore, but it doesn't mean they may not request our help once in a while." Hiei answered.

"So……"Kurama pressed. It was like pulling teeth trying to get Hiei to talk.

"It has to deal with that carnival lackey that kidnapped you. He's some sort of demon. Anyways, we have to destroy him." Hiei responded five minutes later as he pulled into the drive of Kagome's shrine.

Kagome lightly squeezed Kurama's upper arm when she saw him flinch ever so slightly at the mention of the man that had imprisoned him for several months.

"I figured he was some sort of demon to have been able to capture me." Kurama spoke his thoughts aloud. He turned towards Kagome. "Do not worry, Hiei and I will easily defeat him. Will you be okay at your home by yourself? I'm sure it would be alright for you to stay at my mother's."

Kagome smiled at his thoughtfulness. "That's okay. I'll be fine. I'm a big, powerful miko, remember?" Kagome told him as they both climbed out of the backseat of the car.

Kurama opened the front passenger door while still facing Kagome. "Would you like me to come over later tonight? After we destroy the carnie of course."

Kagome blushed, suddenly relieving her kiss that morning with the young man before her. "You don't have to. I understand that your mother is worried."

"Whatever, hurry up Kurama." Hiei interrupted as he revved his engine in impatience.

"Kurama sat in his seat and buckled up but before he shut his door, "I'll see you tonight, Kagome-chan."

Kagome could only wave mutely as the black bullet shot down the street. She couldn't prevent the little skip that found its way into her step as she made her way up the mountain of steps to her family home.

She decided to take a nap in her bedroom. When she opened her door she was greeted by an unexpected visitor.

"What are you doing here, Inuyasha?" She asked as calmly as she could.

Inuyasha gazed at her with sorrowful golden eyes. "Kagome, I wanted to apologize."

"There's no need. I'm your valuable shard-detector. That's all I am. I understand. You can leave now." Kagome replied with a lack-luster voice.

Inuyasha rose from his position on her bed and walked towards the young woman. He placed both his hands on her shoulders. "No, Kagome. You are not my shard detector. You are my best friend and it's time I start treating you that way."

Kagome starred at him. "What?" She barely managed to whisper.

Inuyasha wrapped her in a hug and buried his face in her hair before speaking. "Kagome, I know I'm not good enough for you. I only offer sorrow. I don't even know how to be a friend. I never had one before you. You taught me how to care about others. It's just that I've lost everyone that ever meant anything to me."

"It's okay Inuyasha, I'm not going anywhere." Kagome answered quietly as she gently rubbed her palm across his back trying to sooth him.

"No, it's not okay. I treat you like crap. I don't mean any of those things I say to you. You really are the best thing that's ever happened to me. I'm only happy when you're around with me. I tried hard not to care. I really did. I think that if I lose you, I'll go crazy." Inuyasha continued his confession.

Kagome slowly pulled him away from her to look him directly in the eye. "Inuyasha, you're my best friend too. Come on; let's go down stairs to the kitchen. I'll fix you some ramen and we can watch a movie about ninjas okay?"

Inuyasha happily let her lead him down the stairs to the promised items. "Thank you Kagome. I just want you to be happy. I promise that I won't make you cry anymore."

Kagome smiled at him. "Just one more promise."

Inuyasha hungrily eyed the bowling water as she began to pour the promised ramen noodles. "Anything."

"Do not call Kurama, Flower-boy, call him by his real name."

Inuyasha glared at her. "Fine. But, does he have to accompany you on our quest?"

"Kurama is an excellent asset and I really enjoy his company. Why don't you try to be friends with him" Kagome suggested.

"Keh." Inuyasha began to eat his ramen. Suddenly a lightbulb seemed to go off in his head. "I thought your arm was broken."

"It was, but I'm healing myself now. Must be that miko thing." Kagome winked at him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~Inuyasha: Holy cow! You hooked Kagome up with someone else but didn't make me an A-hole!

~Belle: I know, I just couldn't make you the villain. I must be weak or something.

~Miroku: No, you are simply an Inuyasha fan. It's a curse we must all live with.

~Inuyasha: Curse am I? I'll show you curse! (*takes threatening step towards monk*)

~Miroku: (*raises cursed right hand*) Do you really want to talk about curses with me boy?

~Inuyasha: I think you got my point. (*runs away from intimidating monk*)

~Hiei: Hn. I could take the sissy.

~Miroku: Excuse me?

~Hiei: You are wearing a purple dress.

~Miroku: It's a robe! And besides Kurama is the one that wears pink.

~Girls around the world: Don't you dare insult Kurama!

~Miroku: (*cowers*) My humblest apologies, I shall never do so again.

~Hiei: Hn.