Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Freak Show ❯ Number One Fan ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~Kouga: I don't think I like this story.

~Belle: Why is that?

~Kouga: Because I'm just a minor character, comic relief!

~Belle: That's not true. You are very important to the plot.

~Kouga: I think you are just saying that to inflate my ego.

~Kurama: Very astute wolf, you are not a complete idiot.

~Kouga: Flower-boy I suggest you shove a rose where the sun don't shine.

~Kagome: Everybody calm down!

R&R!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kagome was unusually quiet that night. Inuyasha was especially moody after the encounter with Kikyo. He was pinned to a tree for half a century but while that time may have passed for everyone else; to him it seemed like a day. He was prepared to forsake his heritage for that miko.

He was grateful somewhat to the circumstances that robbed him of that lie of a life. Could he really have been happy being someone he was not? Would he have been happy with someone whom their only common ground was loneliness? There was no doubt that if it had been Kagome in his past he would have been happy and living as a hanyou. Life brought him a second chance through the futuristic miko, but he blew it chasing an unrealistic dream.

At least Kagome had met someone who saw her worth. It was unfortunate that he was too blind. But he loved Kagome and would be happy being alone as long as she was happy.

Kagome couldn't get comfortable as she lay in her sleeping bag that night and decided to wake up Inuyasha. He was already awake though and was watching her intently.

"Inuyasha, I think I need to go home. I feel too drained," Kagome told him.

Hiei interrupted the pair because he wasn't sleeping either. "Yes, we should return now." He kicked the sleeping form of Botan harshly in the ribs while she was sleeping on the ground.

"I'm up! I'm up! Where's the fire?" Botan shouted as she jumped to her feet and started swinging around a baseball bat that she pulled out from somewhere.

Inuyasha didn't reply for a long while. He really didn't want Kagome to go back just yet. Hiei noticed the silence and was not one to wait around for an answer.

"We're going," Hiei declared. "Kagome, hop onto Botan's oar and we will return to our time."

Inuyasha jumped down from his branch and placed a clawed hand onto Kagome's shoulder. "No, I'll carry you. Let's go." Inuyasha offered her his back and she climbed onto it.

Inuyasha was aware of the level of comfort he always felt with Kagome so close. He could feel her steady heart beat pressed against his back. It was a heart beat that Kikyo would never have. He may have given people rides on his back, but the only person he ever enjoyed carrying was his best friend.

He was not an affectionate person, but these backrides were his excuse to be close to her. He growled softly in his throat. It wasn't fair. 'Roseboy' barely knew her and already claimed her as his future mate. Inuyasha was confident that Kagome was unaware of being marked, but every youkai in a twenty mile radius would know. What upset him most was that when she did find out she'd probably be overjoyed. Inuyasha really wanted to kick himself for blowing his chances with the miko from the future.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After arriving in the modern times a few hours before dawn, Kagome went immediately to bed and left the other two to their own devices. Botan rushed give her report to Koenma regarding their trip to the Feudal Era. Hiei decided to head over to Kurama's house after he took a few hour walk to clear his mind.

The speed demon's face held a frown as he noticed his black car parked outside on the driveway. That was not where the car was supposed to be. Looks like a certain fox had taken the liberty to drive around his precious vehicle.

Hiei was about to knock on the front door of the Minamino residence. Kurama's human mother had scolded him too many times about not acting like a thief and using the front door instead of climbing through windows. However, before he could knock like a civilized person though the door burst open before him.

Kurama twirled the forbidden keys in his hand before Hiei's startled eyes before he shot out past him. Hiei stood dumbfounded at first but soon recovered and hopped into the front seat of his rapidly retreating car.

He turned to glare at the mischievous red-haired driver. "This is MY car you realize," Hiei replied with a frosty tone.

Kurama shrugged. "Yeah, thanks," he smiled innocently at the passenger.

"You don't have a license," Hiei pointed out.

"Neither do you," Kurama casually replied.

"I'd ask our destination, but I suppose it's obvious." Hiei muttered under his breath, sure that his friend heard.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A few minutes later a knock on the Higarashi Shrine's front door marked their arrival. Ji-chan answered the door with demon wards in hand that were soon plastered to their foreheads. Of course, they had no effect.

Souta and Kagome were sitting on the floor at the coffee table in the den playing a card game of some sort.

"It is good to see you," Kurama bowed respectfully to Kagome's grandfather while calmly pull the ward off his head and making his way past the old man to his girlfriend who was too absorbed in her game to note his arrival.

He crouched behind her on the floor and wrapped his arms tightly around her waist. He rested his chin upon her shoulder so that he could peer at the card game. "What is this?" Kurama inquired inquisitively.

"I'm teaching big sister how to play Yu-Gi-Oh. She's getting really good too," Souta explained as he did his next attack.

Kagome tilted her head to the side and placed a sweet kiss on Kurama's smooth cheek. She could feel his lips forming a smile before she redirected her attention to the game. She lifted the five cards up in her hand so that Kurama could help her decide the next move.

Kurama turned his lips to her ear. "Use the Dark Magician," he advised in a conspiratory whisper as Souta gave them a suspicious stare.

"That's my favorite card actually," Kagome agreed. She laid it on the table and attacked. Souta crossed his arms and glowered as his sister just won the game.

Kagome tried to get off the floor after her victory, but Kurama refused to let her move. She giggled at his behavior.

"Hey Souta, let's play one more round," Kurama suggested.

"But, Shuuichi, that's not fair if you two get to be a team and I have to play on my own." Souta justifiably argued.

Kurama waved his hand at the comment in a dismissive gesture. "Hiei will be on your team," Kurama assured him. Hiei glared at the fox but sat beside the adolescent to play none-the-less.

After two more rounds with each team winning, Kagome turned to Kurama again. He still refused to let up his hold, even though his legs were beginning to fall asleep. "Mind telling me how I earned this visit?" Kagome asked.

Kurama gave another shrug and then rose to his feet, helping her up beside him. He shook first his left leg and then his right leg. Souta laughed uncontrollably at the movement.

"Do you want to play the Hokey Pokey now?" Souta innocently asked.

"Maybe later kid," Kurama replied using a hand to ruffle the boy's hair. He smiled at the boy that he felt would be his little brother one day in the not-so-distant future.

Kagome poked Kurama in his cheek with her pointer finger as his expression became dazed as he appeared deep in thought. "So why are you here?" She prompted once more.

"I missed you of course. Besides, tomorrow is the first day of school. We need a game plan," Kurama explained.

"What do you mean by game plan?" Kagome asked as she locked her eyes with his enchanting emerald orbs.

"We have to figure out how you're going to survive all my fan girls," Kurama grinned at his girlfriend.

Kagome clasped her hands together in mock excitement. "Does this mean I get to be president of your fan club?"

Kurama shook his head, letting the red locks fly and his gaze linger on the little ring he gave her on her finger. "Only if I get to be president of your fan club."

"But, I don't have a fan club." Kagome pouted cutely.

"Well then I'll have to start one." He wrapped his arms securely around her waist again and leaned down to place a sweet kiss on her forehead.

A throat cleared and they turned to see Hiei. "Can I have my keys back?"

Kurama reached into his pocket and tossed it to him.

"I'll talk to you when you are less distracted," Hiei replied on his way out of the shrine.

After Hiei left, Kagome led Kurama over to the couch where she handed him the remote control so he could participate in his favorite pastime of channel surfing. Happy to enjoy relaxing moments such as these, Kurama settled down deep onto the couch while keeping his arm snug around his girl friend's shoulders.

Kagome turned to regard the fox. "So what did you do while I was out?"

Kurama turned off the television and turned to face her directly. "My dear, you and I have a very important mission, if you should choose to accept that is."

Excited by the impish light shining in his eyes Kagome nodded her head in agreement. "Of course, I'll help."

"You and I need to find a way to fix up Koenma with Botan."

Kagome had an odd expression on her face at that suggestion. She reached up a hand, the one with the ring adorning the finger, to scratch her scalp as confusion settled. "Koenma and Botan?"

Kurama shrugged yet again and pulled her closer to his body. "Yeah, I owe junior a favor. Besides, when he acts his age, the two actually make a good match."

Barely suppressing a yawn, for the three hours of sleep didn't help much, Kagome nodded. "Okay then, I'll help." She felt Kurama shift slightly and then fell asleep into that comfortable sleep she had longed for, resting her head against his chest.

Souta walked back in the den to retrieve the cards he left on the table. He noticed the two and snickered before leaving. He liked Shuuichi Minamino too much to bother him when he was obviously busy.

Kurama smiled inside, pleased with the boy's reaction. He would make a great little brother when the time came. He looked back at Kagome's raven crown before setting his chin on it and allowing sleep to take him as well. After his nightmare about Hiei being brainwashed and Kagome's soul being stolen he needed to get some rest as well. Good thing that was only a dream though.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~Belle: Hope you guys liked that.

~Kagome: School starts in the next chapter!

~Kurama: I promise the fangirls won't attack you. At least, as long as you are attached to me and don't leave my side for a second.

~Kagome: What if you have to go to the bathroom?

~Kurama: It's okay, you can come too. (*grins suggestively*)

~Kagome: Kurama! You are too crude! I can't believe you said that!

~Kurama: Well it's not like you aren't going to be my mate so it shouldn't bother you.

~Kagome: Not the point!

Check out the Kenshin/IY crossover I'm co-writing "39 days" under penname: koji-belle