Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Freak Show ❯ Serenity At Last? ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 23

Serenity at Last?

A/N: About the lack of good fights in that last chapter, I must apologize. I had the elements to create awesome visual displays of talent. Heck I had Sesshoumaru Vs his father! However, my weary brain was not up to the task of writing out the details of such a glorious fight. I know that all you readers have wonderful minds and can just picture the fights using your own imagination. =) Our journey is almost over, I hope that you enjoy what I throw at you in these next few chapters. ~Belle

Sesshoumaru walked with the girl from the future in his arms towards the hut of the aged village miko, Kaede. The old woman sensed his approach and opened the door to her small wooden home revealing Shippo sitting on the shoulder of Koenma the prince of the Spirit World, and a homely human by the name of Kuwabara.

"Is it finished?" Kaede asked when Sesshoumaru walked into the hut and set the unconscious form of Kagome on the futon in the corner of the room.

"Naraku is vanquished and that jewel is complete. My business calls me elsewhere." Sesshoumaru declared as he walked out of the hut, passing Kurama and Inuyasha on his way out. They both gave him glares of bitter intensity which he casually ignored as he allowed a red cloud of ki to form under his feet to transport him to his home. He had territories to guard.

Two seconds later, Kurama sat one side of Kagome with her hand in his, gently massaging it in a comforting manner. Inuyasha sat on the end of the bed near her feet, watching her with a worried expression. His gaze lingered on the completed jewel that hung from her neck.

The others soon followed into the hut, which was more crowded than it had ever been before. After discovering that Kurama and Inuyasha wouldn't let him near Kagome, Shippo had hopped off Koenma's shoulder and landed on Sango's unoccupied one. Kirara was purring contently from her other side.

The small Kitsune's emerald eyes were wide in excitement as he talked animatedly to Sango and Miroku. "I saved the world!" He exclaimed.

Miroku and Sango exchanged knowing looks before encouraging him to elaborate. "Really? That's great Shippo-chan. How did you manage that?" Sango prodded gently.

"Well, Koenma and ugly needed my help. We returned all those people Naraku had kidnapped back to Kagome's time. And then, Koenma did this magic where they didn't remember anything about going to the Demon World. But then it was weird, because these people started fighting about how Shuuichi belonged to them and not to Kagome. Who is Shuuichi?" Shippo asked innocently as he began to gasp for air from his long diatribe.

Yusuke started laughing uncontrollably and had to grab hold of Botan for support. "Shu., Shu, Shuuichi is Kurama's human name. Was it a bunch of girls?" Yusuke choked out, trying to get himself under control when a certain silver fox cast him a vicious look.

Shippo scratched his head thoughtfully. "Well yeah, but then all these boys started yelling back at them saying they could have Shuiichi because Kagome belonged to them and they didn't give a flying fruitcake about that pansy. What's a pansy?" Shippo looked at Yusuke with big questions evident in his eyes. The human boy seemed the only one with the answers.

However, Hiei snorted at this comment, earning the attention of everyone. He shrugged his hands into the air. "What?" He demanded agitated at having drawn their attention.

"Kagome doesn't belong to them," Inuyasha growled out softly. Kurama looked at him curiously at the words and the hidden emotions that concealed within them. He tightened his grip on Kagome's hand. Her eyes opened slowly and she blinked at him before focusing on him entirely.

The ring around her finger seemed to increase in size and entwined around the pair's fingers and hands, creating something akin to a slave bracelet that linked their palms flat against one another. "What's going on Kurama?" Kagome's voice, barely above a whisper, inquired softly.

"It's alright, Shippo was merely talking about our fan clubs. I believe the news unsettled Inuyasha," Kurama answered as he helped Kagome sit up so that he could scoot behind her on the futon. He then pulled her into his lap and rested his chin on top of her head while stile holding their tied up hands together.

Inuyasha listened to the explanation and then watched as Kurama pulled Kagome against him, unable to tear his eyes away from the sight. Eventually, Inuyasha managed to focus and get himself out of his dazed state. He stood and crossed his arms over his chest before stomping out of the hut with a loud, "Keh."

"What's his problem?" Kuwabara asked, secretly enjoying his rival from the arcades throw a hissy fit.

"Nothing more than usual," Kouga replied, watching the exchange between Kagome and the fox with an unhealthy intensity. He looked down at his calves noticing that the scars left from pulling out the shards of the jewel were already healed over. He looked back towards Kagome and was rewarded by having her eyes focused sole on him.

Kouga smiled wolfishly at her as he made his way towards her futon, ignoring the quiet sighs of annoyance and general eye rolling of the other inhabitants of the room. He kneeled before her on the floor and took her hand that wasn't holding onto the fox within his own. He raised her knuckles to his lips and kissed it delicately, keeping his eyes trained on hers the entire time.

"Kouga, I," Kagome began but silenced herself when Kouga gave her a smile of understanding and friendship.

"It's alright Kagome. First the mutt and now the fox I guess your heart never really had room for a wolf," He told her sadly, but kept a gentle smile etched across his lips. When Kagome looked about to argue, Kouga shook his head. "Don't say anything. I understand perfectly that you care about me deeply, maybe even love me, but not in the way I would prefer. I suppose that will have to be enough for me. I love you Kagome, but I want you to be happy. So, if you find it with this flower boy then so be it."

Kouga stood on his feet and was about to leave the room when Kagome pulled herself out of Kurama's grasp, much to his annoyance, and ran to hug Kouga from behind. Her arms wrapped around tightly across his torso as she squeezed him for all she was worth. Kouga allowed his hands to rest lightly on her arms as he craned his head over his shoulder to kiss her on the forehead. "Thank you Kouga-kun," Kagome whispered.

Kouga disentangled her arms from his waist and gave each of the freed arms a quick squeeze before grinning at her in the familiar arrogant canine way of his. "Just remember, you always will be a member of my pack." He looked over at Kurama and flashed him a silent warning before he left the hut in a tornado of debris.

Kagome stood there silently, watching the trail her dear wolf friend left behind in his wake. She sighed sadly as he disappeared out of her field of vision and wrapped her arms around herself to sooth the sense of finality she was feeling. A pair of masculine arms covered her own as the scent of roses invaded her olfactory.

Kurama leaned down to be closer to her height and rubbed his cheek against hers. "You did well," Kurama whispered to her. "Do not be sad for completing your mission victoriously."

Kagome felt a tugging on her pants leg and looked down to see Shippo cheesing at her. "Kagome, are you going to stay here with us? Or am I going to be leaving with you and Kurama?"

Kurama squeezed Kagome tighter to him when he sensed her unease with the question. He had a feeling she wasn't sure exactly what her plans were. The immediate goal of destroying Naraku and completing the jewel had been the top priority. All other thoughts had been cast aside. "Shippo, we'll be going back to our time for a short while until everything settles down and the jewel can be destroyed." Kurama replied for her. He felt her relax against him, her body melting against the contours of his own.

"Don't worry Shippo-chan, we'll be back in a few days. I just want to give Inuyasha plenty of time to think about the wish he's going to make." Kagome answered smiling down at the young fox demon. Shippo seemed to accept this answer and leapt up to perch himself on her shoulder. The young kit pulled Kurama's silvery hair and Kagome's ebony locks off her shoulder so that he could hug both of their necks at the same time.

A pair of joyous laughs could be heard from both half's of the couple at the young fox's affections. Shippo then hopped off and landed on Koenma's head. "So can I be a Spirit Detective now?" He asked eagerly.

Koenma looked a bit uncomfortable. Miroku noticed the discomfort of the odd young man and interjected. "Shippo, perhaps when you are older but for now, I don't think your family would approve of you being involved in such a thing."

Shippo's little clawed hands fisted at his hips at he stared at the monk in disbelief. "What? But I've been fighting alongside you all to destroy Naraku since like forever!"

"Exactly, which is why you should content yourself to enjoying what is left of your childhood," Kagome scowled. The fox kit let lose a defeated sigh and moved toward the door of the hut. Kirara followed close behind.

"So, what will you do now Kagome-sama?" Miroku asked as he moved towards Kagome and placed a hand upon her shoulder to gain her attention. Kurama instinctually tightening his hold on his future-mate but didn't object to the other male touching what he felt was his.

Kagome looked over at Botan. "If after the wish on the jewel is made and if for some reason the well seals itself, would it be possible for you to open a portal for me to return to my time?" Kagome inquired. The blue haired lady of death nodded her head, a bright smile upon her face.

"As much as I am interested in the details, I have lots of work to do. Yusuke, I want a detailed report of all this on my desk tomorrow morning. Now, let's go." Koenma ordered as he waved his hand at Botan indicating she was to create a portal to return to 500 years in the future from the Feudal Era. Koenma and Botan entered whispering quietly in one another's ear, followed by Kuwabara who had his chest poked out in pride at his work on the mission, a cursing Yusuke, and an annoyed Hiei who cast Kurama a condescending glance indicating he had better be following.

Kurama untangled himself from Kagome reluctantly and made to follow his fellow Spirit Detectives. He clapped Miroku on the back before encouraging him with some wise words, "Remember to treat her with respect and she'll agree."

Miroku watched Sango from the corner of his eye as she was exchanging some words with Kagome and Kaede. "You better be right." Miroku looked down at his right hand, and slowly unwrapped the prayer beads. The unmarred flesh of his palm brought a smile to his face. "At least now there is no need to rush."

"That's the spirit!" Kurama agreed feeling the unhappy stare of a pair of crimson eyes boring into his back. "I had better be going. Kagome?"

Kagome looked at her friends, torn between wanting to return to her time and wanting to spend time with them. "Why don't you go back for a few hours my child? Inuyasha is gone and there really isn't any impending doom to keep you here." Kaede coaxed the girl.

"Thanks, Kaede, I'll be back in a few hours, okay guys?" Kagome turned to follow Kurama through Botan's portal but Kurama stopped her and gestured for Hiei to leave without him.

"How about we go back through the well? We can tell your family about our success and I'd like you to eat dinner with my mother and I." Kurama replied. Kagome considered the idea and then nodded in agreement.

Hiei grunted but left and the portal sealed up behind him. Kagome hugged both Sango and Miroku close. "Tell Inuyasha I'll be back this evening and not to worry, okay?"

"Of course Kagome-sama," Miroku replied calmly, his fingers were itching at the nearness to both women but he fought his urges and controlled himself. He would not touch, he would not touch, he would touch. His uncursed hand had found a firm hold of Sango's rear, which earned him a slap across the face.

"Hentai monk," The demon exterminator muttered, crimson stain upon her cheeks.

Miroku rubbed his sore cheek absently as a look of contentment graced his features. "Idiot," Kurama muttered as he wrapped a possessive arm around Kagome's waist and pulled her to his side and began walking towards the well.

"He never learns does he?" Kagome asked as she waved to Shippo who was watching them intently as Sango was explaining to him their plans. He waved back and then scampered off with Kirara to play some more.

"He knows better, he just doesn't care." Kurama answered leaning down to place a quick peck on her cheek. He noticed how Kagome's gaze seemed to scour the forest trees. "He's not there."

"Why do you think he left like that?" Kagome asked concerned for her best friend.

Kurama shrugged. "Maybe it was all getting to him. You've been fighting against Naraku for a couple of years now. Now that's over, he's probably having difficulties figuring out exactly what he's supposed to do now."

"Maybe he's trying to figure out the wish for the jewel." Kagome added as she stopped looking for her hanyou friend and concentrated on the silver fox who was absently stroking her leg with his long silver tail.

"I still think it's a bad idea to give him that sort of responsibility. Who knows what he'll wish for." Kurama thought aloud. He would trust Inuyasha because Kagome did, but he wasn't blind and couldn't hold complete faith in him after his little transformation episode.

"I'm sure he'll make the right decision. Inuyasha may be brash, but he's very intelligent and cares a great deal about others. I know he'll make a wise choice." Kagome defended as they paused outside the wooden lip of the well. Kurama lifted her into his arms and jumped on top of the wooden ledge.

"I'm sure you're right," He placated her as the magic of the well surrounded them and caused them to disappear through the journey of time and arrive at the Higurashi Shrine. Upon landing on the dirt covered bottom Kurama pulled a seed from his hair and had it form into a great massive flower that carried them to the top of the well on it's unnaturally strong pedals.

The yellow flowered plant seemed to salute the duo before it slunk back into the depths of the well and wilted into nothingness. Kagome cupped Kurama's cheeks in either hand and pulled his face to hers touching noses before speaking, "That was an impressive trick."

Youko's tail swished back and forth excitedly. "Not nearly as impressive as this one," he declared as he closed the distance and pressed his lips firmly against her own. Her hands became entangled within his long silvery locks gently massaging and soothing his scalp in the process as the fingers of his left hand threaded themselves in her dark, thick hair and his right hand held her firmly against his frame.

He was about to make the kiss deeper and plunge his tongue into the cavern of her mouth when bright light invaded their blissful darkness. Souta stood at the door gaping at them with a heavy duty flashlight and Hiei stood right beside him with a smug expression on his face. "That's so gross! I'm telling mom!" Souta shouted effectively killing the mood and sending Kagome on a mad chase after him to prevent him from squealing.

Hiei laughed mentally at the look of annoyance on the fox's face as his hair began to get red streaks and his tail receded into his spine, shortening until it was no longer visible. "You did that on purpose," Kurama accused, a deadly threat loosely concealed in his tone of voice.

"Hn. That's not much gratitude. After all, I was merely concerned for your well being." Hiei argued innocently, his crimson eyes that glowed with amusement betraying his true motives.

"You are lucky we are on holy ground," Kurama retorted, flicking his finger at Hiei and sending a light dust of pollen directly towards the speed demon's nose causing him to sneeze and look ridiculous. Kurama faked a concerned expression, "Oh no Hiei, I hate to think you may have come down with a cold."

#############

Kagome nervously played with the hem of her skirt as she waited outside of Kurama's house, waiting for his mother to answer the door. He didn't have his set of keys on him. Kurama had his arm resting comfortably around her shoulders and gave her a quick squeeze when he heard his mother fiddling with the locks.

The door opened shortly afterwards, revealing a middle-aged woman with long brown hair. Kagome blinked at the woman a few times, confusion evident in her clouded irises. "Your hair is brown," she stated the obvious detail.

Mrs. Minamino reached up a hand idly and ran it through one of her loose strands. "Yes, oh! It was red when you saw it last, right?" Kagome nodded. "It's naturally brown, but Shuuichi has the most beautiful red hair I thought I'd try it out."

"And you look beautiful either way," Kurama flattered her as he kissed her on the cheek and then brushed past her with Kagome in tow. "What's for dinner?"

Mrs. Minamino shut the door behind the two teenagers and shook her head. "I don't see you for who knows how long and all you can ask is what's for dinner?"

Kurama smirked. "Well, I did say you were beautiful earlier, that should count for something."

"Indeed it does. Come on you two, I was just fixing to lay out some roast beef and noodles." Mrs. Minamino gestured for her son and his girlfriend to join her at the dinner table. Kurama retrieved some place mats and silverware and set the table.

Kagome and Kurama sat beside one another and Mrs. Minamino sat across from them smiling warmly. "So, how was school?" She asked as she began to delicately slice her roast beef into manageable pieces.

The two exchanged glances and under the table Kurama took Kagome's hand in his. "That's what I wanted to talk to you about mom," Kurama began.

"Go ahead," His mother encouraged as she chewed her food slowly.

"I know you don't believe me when I tell you that I work as a Spirit Detective fighting against beings that threaten our existence. Well, you probably won't believe that Kagome is actually a priestess who can travel through time. Recently, I started traveling back in time with her and earlier this afternoon we defeated an evil demon by the name of Naraku." Kurama explained, Kagome squeezed his hand to offer silent support.

Mrs. Minamino interrupted. "Naraku means spider, did you know that?"

"We ma'am, I was aware of that," Kagome answered, watching in disbelief as the woman continued to eat undisturbed by what her son was sharing. Kagome leaned to murmur in his ear, "Maybe you should tell her about sharing a body with another's soul and about how the two of you are merging and becoming one entity."

Kurama leaned back over, "Don't you think that would give her a heart attack to see her beloved son turn into a silver fox."

Kagome shrugged, "My mom would just want to rub your ears and pet your tail."

"Excuse me dear?" Mrs. Minamino frowned at the young woman across from her. She didn't especially care for those words in connection with her son.

"Mom, I have something to show you. Maybe then you'll believe all of this," Kurama told her as he rose to stand beside his chair. His mother watched him attentively as his long red hair began to fade into a beautiful shade of silver. His emerald eyes lit afire with molten gold, a pair of fox ears stood erect instead of human ears. His silver tail began to flick back and forth, hidden by the table as it idly caressed Kagome's thighs.

Mrs. Minamino's mouth dropped open as a bit of half-chewed roast beef fell back onto her plate. "Young man, you have some explaining to do! What kind of magic have you two been fooling with?"

"Mother," the deeper melody of Youko Kurama's voice presided. "The body you see before you was the original form I took residence in as I lived as Youko Kurama. I am a Kitsune, a fox demon. I merged with the soul of your unborn child Shuuichi and together we share the same body. Our souls have merged and we are one."

Kagome cleared her throat and coughed something that suspiciously sounded like, "Or something like that."

Mrs. Minamino reclined in her chair and calmly sipped her tea as her eyes scanned the appearance of the being that was formerly in the shape of her precious son. She looked back at Kagome. "And you are a priestess?"

Kagome nodded, not trusting herself to speak. She didn't want to make a bad impression and Kurama was causing enough unease. Mrs. Minamino began to laugh at the two causing Kurama to frown as he eased himself back into his seat and allowed his human attributes to reign dominance.

"Mother?" He asked cautiously, the more gentle tone of Shuuichi's voice heard.

Mrs. Minamino wiped tears from her eyes with the back of her hand. "That's definitely not something I expected to hear. However, I guess it doesn't really change who you are. What are your plans?"

Kurama shifted uncomfortably as his hand instinctually sought out Kagome's once more under the table. "Kagome has agreed to be my mate." His mother's brow rose at his choice of words. "We intend on spending a few years here and then we shall move to the demon world, Makai."

"Why would you be moving there?" Mrs. Minamino asked.

"We both have extended life cycles. We won't age like normal people do here so we will move there to avoid suspicion. There are hardly any demons in modern times because most have taken residence in that realm. We have a charge we have vowed to raise together. He is a young Kitsune and….."Kurama faltered trying to list all the many reasons why they needed to live in another dimension.

"And, the Shuuichi Minamino fan club is very dangerous and I'd like to live to reach a ripe old age," Kagome contributed earning a smile from the older woman.

Mrs. Minamino handed Kagome the basket full of rolls. "I need to think about all of this. It doesn't sound like you need my permission so I wish you well as long as I see my grandchildren plenty." Kagome accepted the rolls, extracting her hand from Kurama in the process. "Why don't you two go and feed the ducks in the pond over at the park before going back to whatever duties you are obligated to tonight."

"I thank you mother. That is a splendid idea." Kurama leaned over the table and placed a parting kiss on his mother's cheek before taking the bread from Kagome and leading the way to the park.

"She took that rather, odd." Kagome commented after the two reached the suggested park.

Kurama shrugged as he lay the basket upon the grass. It was a rather thin carpet of grass, Kagome was about to sit but he stayed her with a hand on the small of her back. "Wait a moment," he concentrated on speaking with the spirit of grass and a few seconds later, a thick carpet now took residence where the sparse patches were previously.

Kagome giggled in delight as she sat herself beside her favorite demon. "You amaze me sometimes."

"Coming from you, the girl who's seen it all, I'll take that as a compliment." He reached into the basket and handed Kagome a roll and took another for himself. The friendly ducks that thrived from human affections waddled over to them and squawked loudly.

Kurama broke off a few crumbles and threw them in their direction. Kagome crumbled some of the bread into her palm and held it out for the birds, crawling towards them on her knees.

Kurama began to laugh at her for the unsuspecting view she was giving him up her skirt. Kagome looked over at him confused. An arrogant smirk was the response. "I'm glad you decided to change into that short skirt earlier."

Kagome blushed a pretty red as she immediately sat back and ran her hands over her thighs to hide her skin from his searching emerald eyes. Kurama pounced on her like a lion and she collapsed under him on the thick carpet of grass. He leaned down and assaulted her lips with his own.

He relished in her sweet taste, but knew that time was not on his side. Reluctantly, he pulled back from her and rubbed his hands over her bare arms. "Let's get back to your friends now."

Nodding mutely, Kagome allowed him to help her to her feet. Kurama's arm snaked around her waist in it's now customary position as he playfully rubbed his nose on her cheek. Kurama frowned at the disarray his girl friend's hair was now in. He reached into his red locks and produced a seed that would grow a vine similar to Honey Suckle.

He placed it into Kagome's dark tresses. "What are you doing?" Kagome asked as she felt her scalp tingling and something slithering around it.

"I'm fixing your hair," Kurama answered as he watched with satisfaction as the vine continued to grow and place her thick hair into an intricate bun onto of her head. Instead of bobby pins, the flowers held the strands in place. "It looks beautiful," he informed her as he gently ran his fingers over the design.

Kagome ran back to the pond to examine the work of art herself. It was amazing. It reminded her of the design she had intended to wear to prom the year before, except she never got the chance because she was shard hunting. She sighed remembering how her gorgeous dress still hung in her closet, never worn.

"What's wrong?" Kurama asked, standing at her side, frowning as she had a look of sadness cross her face.

She smiled brightly at him and hugged him close. "It's great Kurama, it just made me remember missing out on prom last year. This is how I would have loved to have had my hair."

Kurama laughed easily and started their trek back towards her family's shrine. "I wouldn't worry about that. You'll most definitely be attending with me this year and you had better have me as your guest next year," he warned with a serious expression.

Kagome nodded solemnly. "Yes sir, I shall allow you the honor and privilege to serve as my escort these next two proms."

"Good. Now, we had better hurry to your friends, I don't think they like waiting." Kurama concentrated and transformed into his Kitsune form and picked Kagome up into his strong arms and took off at cheetah like speeds towards the magic well.

###################

Inuyasha sat on his favorite tree, the God tree. His mind was a jumbled mess as he tried to think of his wish on the Shikon no Tama. The image of Kurama holding Kagome on the futon kept flashing through his mind along with the feeling of jealousy in the pit of his stomach.

She was his best friend, he didn't want to come between her and happiness, but he also knew that for a fact if she had never met Kurama then she would be with him right now. He would have had her for his mate and she would have remained in this time era. But, now, he was all alone.

The woman he thought he loved, he realized that wasn't the case. Then he discovered that he truly loved his best friend. And now she would be leaving him forever. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if she would have still lived with him. The well would probably stop working and although she'd have that Botan to open portals between dimensions would she really bother coming back to see a lowly hanyou?

Sure, she always told him that she loved him the way he was. But, wasn't she also about to mate with a full blooded fox demon? Sure, he was a special case where he had a human host. So technically he was half human and half demon. It was unfair that he seemed to achieve the best of both worlds though.

It was growing late and Kagome had yet to return. He looked in the distance towards the moon. It was in a crescent shape, like that on Sesshoumaru's forehead. If he had been born a full demon then the Western Lands would also belong to him partially. He had gained acceptance from his friends as a half-demon, but he didn't want friends right now. He didn't want to see them start their families while he was alone. He didn't want to be Uncle Yasha. He wanted to be a respected and loved father.

He wanted a mate that would love him for who he was and not what he was. He wanted a mate that wouldn't care what race he belonged to. He wanted Kagome. He knew what he would wish for. He could think of one wish that could solve all those problems.

He could hear voices coming from the well and recognized them to be those of his beloved Kagome and the Flower boy. He hopped down from his branch and ran to greet them.

Kagome smiled at him and hugged him tightly. For once, Inuyasha returned the gesture without hesitation. "It's about time you get back," he murmured against her thick hair.

"I was only gone for a few hours, come on lets go to Kaede's village to meet up with the others." Kagome suggested as she pulled herself out of Inuyasha's arms and reached to take Kurama's hand as they walked back.

Inuyasha walked on Kagome's other side. He was curious what she would do if he were to take her other hand. Would she let him? Friends did that sort of thing, right? He decided to find out and took the initiative. He was pleasantly surprised when Kagome tightened her hand around his and smiled at him sweetly.

"So did you decide what you wanted to wish for?" Kagome asked her best friend. She couldn't understand why Kurama suddenly seemed tense on her other side. She cast him a quick glance but he merely smiled at her softly, dispelling her concern.

Inuyasha cleared his throat. "I have, but I'd like to discuss it with you privately."

"Sure, that's fine." Kagome agreed.

Upon returning to the village, the three were greeted with a flurry of hugs. The village would be holding a celebration in honor of the success of the group.

"Come on Kagome! You have to come with us!" Sango told her excitedly. Miroku had asked her sincerely if she would give him the honor of being his date and she had accepted. She wanted her dearest friend there to share in her fun.

"I'll be there after a while Sango-chan," Kagome answered. "Kurama why don't you go on ahead with them. Inuyasha wanted to talk about the wish so we'll meet you guys shortly, okay?"

Kurama's golden irises narrowed at Inuyasha suspiciously. He would prefer to not abandon his mate to the other male. There was something about his aura that was off at the moment.

"I'm not sure that's a good idea," Kurama replied.

Miroku cleared his throat and flashed everyone a charming smile. "Come on Kurama, I need to thank you for all you've done for me. Let's give these two a chance to settle their tabs with one another."

"Settle their tabs?" Kurama inquired curiously.

The monk scratched his neck impishly. "I've been acquiring too much bar humor."

"So it would seem," Kurama agreed. He looked back over at Kagome and kissed her temple before following the humans to the village festivities.

"You think you'll be happy with him?" Inuyasha asked quietly as he watched the others retreat.

"Yes, I really do." Kagome told him with a serene smile upon her face.

"Do you think you could have been happy like that with me?" He asked, his eyes unreadable.

Kagome bit her bottom lip in contemplation. "I don't know Inuyasha. It seems like our timing was always wrong. There was always some sort of problem where our relationship was involved."

"Yeah, you're right." Inuyasha agreed as he began to walk towards the forest, knowing that Kagome would follow. "Let's discuss the wish I'm going to make."

"Have you already decided what it will be?" Kagome asked as she and her friend came across the God tree and sat at the base of the great tree.

"Yes, what will happen to you after the wish is complete?" Inuyasha asked.

"I'm not entirely certain, but I know that the jewel will be reabsorbed into my body and stored in a dormant state."

"Will it return you to your time?"

"I don't think so. And if it did I could always get Botan to create a portal so I could come back here to visit you guys." Kagome held the completed jewel out to him. He accepted it. "I never thought it would become whole again. Did you?"

Inuyasha stared at the purified jewel. Kagome didn't realize that jewel was beginning to have purple swirls shift through the pale pink globe. It was begging Inuyasha to make his wish now. Inuyasha would heed it's request.

"I wish to be a full demon and for the strength to make Kagome my mate."

A bright light in the woods and Kagome's terrified screams was all that alerted the others to the situation. Kurama rushed over to the God tree but only in time to see a blur of silver running off with HIS Kagome.

TBC