Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Jewel of the Chaotic Souls ❯ Souta Higurashi ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Nine

Souta Higurashi

Kurama lay awake on his bed that night staring, seemingly, at nothing. The silver glow of the moon shone through his open window and caressed his relaxed form lying comfortably on his giant bed. His emerald eyes seemed more golden in this dark night than their usual forest-green.

*What do you make of Koenma's new assignment?* Youko's voice penetrated throughout the far recess of Shuuichi's mind.

~I don't know WHAT to think.~ Shuuichi closed his eyes and entered the mind link that he shared with the legendary Makai* thief.

The two floated in a mist of crimson. Youko Kurama, a kitsune* with a five silver tail and long silky gray-white hair, laid down on mid-air as Shuuichi Minamino appeared into their mind realm.

Golden eyes gleamed with an internal light, as they rested on the redheaded teen. The emerald spheres, in return, flashed.

~There's something wrong with the way Koenma gave the report. ~ Shuuichi stated, sitting on the air and resting a fist by his chin. ~It was...in pieces, like parts of the information was missing. ~

*Or deliberately kept from us.* Youko nodded his agreement.

~* Flashback *~

"Apparently, an S-classed youkai* had somehow managed to slip past the barrier without damaging it. Had we not been monitoring the youki* level in the Nigenkai*, we'd never have discovered its appearance."

"S-class? In the Nigenkai?" Kuwabara repeated, seemingly shell-shocked. It's not surprising, really. Aside from Sensui*, this tentai* had never battled a youkai in the S-class level. And that experience didn't end up so well for Kuwabara, did it? His small dark eyes squinted, as he imagined all the damage this demon could do. "Here?"

Hiei grunted and stated in that deep, mocking tone of his. "That is what he said, baka*."

"How did that demon manage to pass the barrier between the worlds without damaging it?" Kurama asked, as Kuwabara started for the Fire demon.

"We're looking into it." Koenma sighed. "We're telling you this now, because the Ancients of the Realms seem to think it wise. Look out for any strange readings and contact us immediately."

~* End Flashback *~

~It was very subtle, but the hints are there...~ Shuuichi frowned. ~And since when have the Ancients bothered with some demon passing? That entire saga with Sensui, with the three rulers of Makai...all those S-class demons and not a hint from those Ancients. ~

Youko nodded, his eyes thoughtful. *I'd almost forgotten that they existed. No one knows who they are, what they do, and just how powerful they are. As far as I'm concerned, no one's seen the entire council. Even Koenma's only seen his father, Enma Daioh.*

~So...what is so important with THIS situation that has them caring now?~

~*~*~*~

Kagome cheered, as Souta kicked yet another goal. The supporters of the Chiihos screamed their approval and stomped their feet in anticipation as the players rounded off again.

Everyone held onto his or her breath, as the guest team's captain brought the ball closer and closer to the Chiihos' goal. Kagome watched, as he kicked the ball straight for a goal. For a moment, it looked as though the ball was a shoot-in, until-

Gloved hands reached into the air and snatched the flying ball from the air. Kudosai clutched the ball down to his middle, dropping to the ground, and rolling outside the goal line.

The supporters all cheered, as the referees blew their whistles, signaling that time's up. Kudosai's teammates all ran to the boy and patted his back, Souta being the foremost.

Kagome smiled at the happy glow in her brother's eyes at successfully winning a game. Mrs. Higurashi beamed the proud look of a parent, as she clasped her hands before her. "That was a wonderful game! Souta was amazing! EVERYONE was amazing!!"

Kagome waved when Souta's searching eyes caught her beaming ones. He waved at his sister happily and motioned for them to come. Kagome grabbed her mother's arm and started dragging them down the bleachers.

"Souta!" Mrs. Higurashi cried, hugging him to her. "You were WONDERFUL!"

Souta, naturally, blushed and tried to push his mother away. "Momma..." he said, "It was just a game." But his eyes shone with appreciation all the same.

"But you were absolutely AMAZING!" Mrs. Higurashi gushed with all the maternal pride in her being. Kagome laughed at her brother's imitation of a beet, as he looked at his surrounding friends.

"Stop, momma, you're embarrassing him."

Souta sent her a grateful smile, as their mother finally released him from her grasp. They started for home, as Souta started about his game all over. Mrs. Higurashi beamed at her son, as they stopped before the Shinto Shrine. Kagome headed back to her room, as Mrs. Higurashi ushered Souta to take a bath.

Their grandfather came out of his room when he heard the familiar clamoring of his grandchildren. "Kagome!" he greeted, holding a roll of scrolls in his left hand. "How was the game?"

"Souta and the team was absolutely ASTOUNDING, Jii-san*" she replied, hugging him quickly, before starting up for her room. "Souta's downstairs." Her grandfather nodded, before heading to find Souta for his more detailed accounts of the game.

Entering her room, Kagome headed over to her closet and started to change.

~*~*~*~

Kagome wore her personal outfit, as an Ancient of the Worlds. It was a miko* garb of pure black. On the back of the garb, starting from her shoulder blades all the way to the front of her waist, was a flaming phoenix embroidered in gold. A chain of gold was clasped about her neck, a chain as small and as light, as water drops. Her hair was tied back simply in bands of gold to match the trimming of her haori* and hakama*.

Whenever she moved, her outfit would glimmer a sprinkling of gold. Her eyes grew navy blue, as she opened the portal to Reikai*. Enma, the Ruler of Reikai had called for the meeting of Ancients, in his personal quarters, in his Kingdom, in Reikai.

She stepped through the dark voice and emerged in the white and pink sky of Reikai with their fluffy pink clouds. The gates of crimson red surrounded the golden palace of Enma Daioh. A communicator was by the side gates, awaiting for someone to press. Kagome stared at the box for a moment, before placing her fingertips on the wall. Blue-white light shimmered on her fingers, before passing through smoothly through the wall. Before long, the Ancient had passed through the gate and appeared before Enma's front court.

A servant was on the other side already. She bowed low when Kagome appeared out of the wall. She didn't show any form of surprise at Kagome's choice of entrance. "This way, my Lady."

Kagome followed the Death Deity through the entrance hall and into Enma's personal quarters. Tassels of pure gold hung on the walls, heavy as the precious mineral. The white marble floor gleamed meticulously, as the two figures passed through yet another set of doors.

"My Lady," the servant bowed, showing Kagome into the large room Enma had prepared for the meeting of the Top Ancient of each Realm.

Kagome swept into the room with none of her usual innocence. A strand of her power was released from her center, allowing enough air currents to gently whisk her hair and clothes in slight flutters of movements.

The rest of the Council was already in the room, awaiting her presence. "Point for entrance, as usual, Kagome." Enma stated as she settled onto her seat. "Though, I really wish you and Sess would just use my doors the normal way..."

"Hn." Sesshoumaru stated, cutting through Enma's greetings rather effectively. He was dressed in his usual outfit of red and white. Though now, his armor seemed to have tripled in the numbers of spikes throughout his arms and chest. A magnificent dog of pure silver was embedded into the front of the armor, ensuring his status as Ancient of Makai.

Enma scowled at the him. "I must say, Sesshoumaru, I never suspected one such as yourself to be even considered to be rud-"

"You're straying off topic."

Kagome sighed. "On with this meeting then."

"There is no trace of her anywhere in the Makai," Sesshoumaru started, frowning. "So I am assuming that she is in one of your realms. More likely, in the Nigenkai."

Enma's humorous nature disappeared, when he heard the genuine concern from the Taiyoukai* before him. When Enma had first met Sesshoumaru, Demon Lord of the Western Lands through Kagome, he'd thought the inu* youkai to be incapable of feeling anything, much less one to be trusted. But as the years bore on, Enma realized that Sesshoumaru hid his emotions behind his barriers and shields. And that once you've gained the inu's friendship, you can trust him with your life.

"There has been no trace at all of Rin's aura, in the Reikai." Enma sighed.

"But there HAS been extra demonic activity, in the Nigenkai." Kagome nodded at Enma. "I, myself, had sensed it, just in Tokyo several weeks past. However, when I sensed it, it did not AT ALL feel like Rin."

"The only thing we know for sure is that it is an S-class youkai, running about in the Nigenkai." Enma twiddled with his sleeves, as he stared at the brooding youkai. "Rin is a Shadow demoness. She can alter her image at will and NO ONE is more able to go into hiding than her."

"And with her power and resources," Sesshoumaru's golden eyes flashed. "She could travel all over the Nigenkai-to Italy, France, Timbuktu, Australia, the Americas-before anyone can detect her."

"We haven't established that it really IS Rin yet." Kagome said, leaning forward. "It could be some random S-class demon."

"How would they have passed through the barrier without damaging it?" Sesshoumaru asked.

"I already had my son send his detectives out on the alert." Enma's eyes grew worried. "And I've had the Reikai Team out, as well. Though, the chances of them besting an Ancient are very low..."

"And I've informed Shippo." Kagome stated reluctantly. "I know that he'd want to help out. Especially since, he too, is an Ancient of Nigenkai. And you know, Sess, that Shippo's brand of kitsune magic WOULD be of use."

Kagome's eyes closed. Images of the nightmares she'd been having returned to her full force. "In the meantime, I've got to return to the Nigenkai to keep an order of things. Something is happening to the three worlds and we still don't know what."

~*~*~*~

"Souta...?" Kagome murmured quietly. Her eyes searched, but she could find nothing, until...

A light started at the top of this place. Kagome couldn't tell what shape this place was, for it was all just darkness and more darkness. Her eyes were drawn to the single spot of white inside this dark abyss. Kagome watched, as her brother floated down from the top.

"Kagome." He muttered tonelessly. "What are you doing in here?"

"Souta!" Kagome ran toward him. Her hands were about to reach for his shoulders when he shimmered away, like an illusion disappearing.

"Why, Kagome?"

Kagome whirled around and found him standing in the area that she was standing in before. "Souta?" She took two steps forward and stopped.

Suddenly, he appeared before her. Kagome gasped and backed away from him. Those eyes, those hateful eyes were not her baby brother's! Instead of his innocent blue-gray eyes, in them was the raging hotness of golden-red.

"Souta?"

"You've failed me, Kagome," her baby brother continued. He took a step forward, toward her. Frightened from this, Kagome turned and ran from him, only to smack against another of him.

"Why? Why leave me alone in the darkness? Why leave me alone to fear?" Thousands of Souta appeared from thin air, advancing on her, on Kagome.

"Wh-what happened to you Souta?"

"You left, Kagome. Left me to the darkness-all alone. Why?"

"I...Souta, please..."

A sudden voice rang through the darkness. "Saddened by your brother, Kagome? Aw, isn't that too bad?" All the Souta surrounding her stopped and turned towards the top. They all merged back to one Souta and flew towards the top.

"Souta!! Souta!!"

"It's too late now, Kagome. You should have been there for him. He thinks of me as his Nee-chan* now."

And slowly, the last speck of her brother was gone. Kagome trembled and settled down onto the darkened ground. Several fluttering petals of a white rose appeared, surrounding Kagome.

White roses...

...the flowers you give to the dead.

~*~*~*~

With a cry, Kagome bolted out of her bed. Sweat poured down her face, as she glanced around her room. The moonlight from the sky seeped through her curtains, illuminating her room with a strange, eerie glow. Never had she thought of moonlight as strange and eerie.

Slowly, she got out of the bed and crept into her brother's room. "Souta...?" Kagome whispered when she heard a whisper of fabric ahead of her. Her eyes widened, when she caught a figure in black sneak out of the house.

"Souta?" Kagome whispered again.

Worried, and even more apprehensive, Kagome slipped after him. Souta dashed through the streets of Tokyo with the stealth and ease of a thief, never making any sounds. Kagome followed behind him, careful to mask her aura and scent.

Countless alleyways blurred behind her, as they finally rounded on a dark area, surrounded by nothing, but a large dump. Why would her younger brother come here, of all places?

Souta stopped before a brick wall. Kagome quickly ducked, as she watched her brother's eyes sweep around the area. Finally, he turned back to the wall and gently placed his fingertips onto the wall. Instantly, a pool of black liquid rose from out of the wall and started surrounding her younger brother.

"Souta...!" Kagome cried, recognizing the dark shadows that rose from the ground, imprisoning her younger brother away from her grasp. "No!! This can't be happening! Souta!"

It was then that Souta looked up at Kagome. Dulled eyes turned towards her, questioning, wondering.

"Souta!! Get away from there!" She dashed right up to the shadows and spiked up her purification powers. Her masked aura flared to life. The air turned murky and oxygen seemed overrated, as Kagome stepped into the puddle of complete darkness. She will not allow it.

Souta is NOT going to leave her, as he did in her dream.

And yet, no sparkle of recognition lit in her baby brother's eyes.

~*~*~*~

Any and all youkai within the Nigenkai felt the sudden spike of energy. Youkai close to Kagome's area fled the opposite direction, fearing for their lives. Anyone on the world, with even a drop of spiritual senses in them, stopped whatever they were doing and paid heed.

Even though they themselves have never even known of it, their subconscious told them that something was happening. It was something so important that the world, as they know it, might depend on it. They may not know it, but their subconscious was telling them that their Ancient, the person who's been protecting their realm ever since it's creation, is currently calling to them.

Deep in the city of Tokyo, the Spirit Detectives working for the Prince of Reikai bolted out of their slumber when they sensed the tremendous amount of ki* erupting throughout the air. Yuuske automatically jumped from his window and onto the streets, following his senses purely. Hiei's eyes snapped open and a second later, his presence was flitted away from the tree he had been residing in. Kurama quickly left the house via his house porch and disappeared as well. Even Kuwabara was up and running.

The four tentai streaked through the streets of Tokyo. Each used a different road, coming from a different place. But the destination that they're all heading towards was the same.

Kagome.

~*~*~*~

In another area, a bit farther off from the detectives, a Kitsune youkai opened a portal. His entire family was awake, as even their youngest member, Chidori, had sensed the ki. Immediately, the kitsune family recognized their Kagome. And they also realized that she was in distress.

Shippo smiled at his worried mate and stepped through the portal. The moment the hole in space closed, he saw his destination. What he saw made his heart thump an extra thump and caused fear to course through his body. Quickly, not wasting anytime, he started dashed through the space in the portal.

~*~*~*~

Kagome took another step towards Souta. "Souta!!" she cried desperately. Why won't her brother answer her calls? "Souta!! Please, you've got to snap out of it!"

She won't allow it to happen. Not to Souta. Not to her baby brother!!

Her powers increased, pushing at the liquid to back off. She created a clear enough path for her to walk on and so she started to run. And yet, the moment she took a step forward, the liquid seemed to slide past her barrier, flooding back around her. She watched in complete desperation, as Souta sank deeper into the pool of darkness. How? How do you keep shadows away?

Fear clogged her and her vision turned hazy.

"Souta!" she cried desperately, as the shadows slid higher up her brother's body, covering his chins. They clung to his skin, crawling higher and higher until...

"Souta!!"

The liquid slid in through any opening. Through his ears, his eyes, his nose, his mouth. Kagome could only stare in horror, as her brother was slowly consumed by the darkness surrounding them both. Kagome stared, as new emotions started flickering across Souta's eyes.

"N-no...!!"

Why is she so helpless? Throughout the centuries, she'd fought and won countless battles. She'd defeated opponents, who were virtually "unbeatable." Yet, this time, she's helpless. Why is it that the first time she fails, she has to fail her beloved brother??

Souta turned his head towards the sky and sneered. "Another time, sister," he hissed. And with a cloud of darkness, he disappeared.

All the shadows and liquid surrounding him followed. Kagome stumbled a few steps forward, shocked by the sudden disappearance. She ran forward, where her brother had been a few moments before.

"A nightmare," Kagome declared, slapping herself. "Come on, wake up!! Wake up!! Get out of this nightmare!!"

A portal opened in front of her and Kagome stared as her adoptive son appeared. Shippo's emerald eyes shone with worry, as he stooped before his mother. "Kaa-san*...?"

What's Shippo doing inside her nightmare? Usually, it was only her and Souta, with the exception of last time...

Kagome's eyes fluttered. All the ki she'd released started returning into her body. The ones she'd burned were forever gone, but the rest of the ki...

"Souta..." Kagome murmured, before collapsing into Shippo's embrace.

~*~*~*~

Youko's silver hair shone in the moonlight as he dashed from one rooftop to the next. His golden eyes glinted when he sensed the sudden change of ki in the air. They were returning to their owner.

He sped faster, wondering, speculating, who it might be that had released such power. Was it somehow connected to the assignment that Koenma had given them?

He felt that the other detectives were each closing in. In another few minutes, and they'd be searching, hunting, together. He caught sight of Hiei up ahead, along with Yuuske down in the streets. Moving so quickly, each were no more than a blur and unseen by normal human eyes.

Finally, they arrived at a dumpster. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, since trash was usually thrown in a messy pile. Nothing suggested that a battle might have occurred here, but for the strange tinge in the air. Even a normal human could have sensed it, as the air had an electrical charge to it, somewhat like the effects of a thunderstorm.

Hiei sniffed the air a few times, trying to locate a scent that didn't belong. He growled in frustration, however, when he caught nothing.

"It's strange," Youko agreed, stepping towards his comrades. "I can't smell anything out of the ordinary either."

"Magic?" Yuuske suggested, looking around.

Kuwabara arrived, and stopped before the group. "Did you guys feel that blast of power?"

"No, Kuwabara," Yuuske snapped. "We all love to hang out in dumpsters in the middle of the night!!"

Kurama tuned them out and concentrated on the area. Magic? Kitsune magic?

Vocabulary

Makai: Demonic Realm

Kitsune: Fox


Youkai: Demon

Youki: Demonic energy

Nigenkai: Human Realm

Sensui: Character from the YYH series. He was an ex-tentai of Reikai, searching to kill all humans in the Nigenkai, and to destroy the barrier between the worlds to get to Makai.

Tentai: detective

Baka: idiot

Jii-san: Grandfather

Miko: priestess

Haori: Top portion of a garb

Hakama: Lower portion of a garb

Reikai: Spiritual Realm

Taiyoukai: Great Demon or Demonic Lord

Inu: dog

Nee-chan: sister

Ki: energy

Kaa-san: mother

Author's Corner

{Yuki's bedroom had turned into the stage production of the Little Muse Down the Lane. Bright lights the color of the rainbow danced throughout the room, and finally all concentrated on the single person in the middle of Yuki's bed.}

Hachi: {dressed in a white Elvis suite} The party has arrrrrrrriiiiiveeeeeddddd!!!!!!!

Kag: {blinks} OMG...!

Yuuske: {slurs} Izzat Elvis onza top `pada byootiful bed?

Keiko: Yuuske!! {bonks} How much sake did you drink??

Botan: {stares at the heap of wasted soul on the feet of Keiko} Er...Ko? I don't think he's gonna answer sometime soon...

Kurama: {munches} Where's Yuki anyways?

Kuwabara: I heard she went out to watch a movie with some friends... Hey! I love this song! {starts doing the robot dance}

Kag: {stares}

Hachi: {Flips back hair} Thank yew! Thank yew verimuch!! Now, I want everyone here to have some fun while Yuki's away. I'd call in for the rest of the Inu Gang, `cept I can't reach them. So I left a message in Sess's cell.

Yuuske: Aw...shucks...dozzat meeeeeaaannzzzat we'rrrree...

Botan: {hauls Yuuske into Yuki's beanbag} Damn, Yuuske, you're wasted.

Yuuske: `m nnnoot....

Hachi: Anyway, so while Yuki's away, her house is all mine, her stuff is all mine, and this corner is ALL MINE!!!!!!!!!!!! Chocolate, everyone, chocolate!!!!! {throws chocolate throughout the air} My party's gonna go down in history!!

{The front door opens, and thunderclouds starts entering the house, raining down on Yuki's floor}

Hachi: Hey! Who let the storm blow in...in....

{Yuki, with thunderclouds over her head, enters. Sparks of taikou energy starts flowing through the room, shocking everyone.}

Yuki: Party?! What's a PARTY doing in the middle of MY room and MY house?! And GET OFF MY BED!!!!!!

Hachi: Yoweee!!!! How'd you find out??

{The rest of the Inu Gang arrives minutes later}

Inu: Hey, I heard from Sess that Yuki's throwing a party?? Eh?? {stares at the rumple of pile that is what's left of Hachi}

{Inu Gang faces off with YuYu Gang, as Yuki, Hachi, and Kagome stands in the center}

All: Who're they??

~* Fanfiction *~

Wake-Robin: @@ Trust you to do the exact thing that'll drive me to the loony bins...Next time, remind me to "pwoof" you. xP Anyhow, thanks for the compliments and a huge "@@" to the idea of even updating as fast as you're thinking...

Gopher2806: Thanks a bunch Gopher!! Isn't it annoying how they're always one step ahead or behind one another???

Inudemoness247: Well, I hope this chapter answered some questions!! As for Souta...*places finger onto mouth*...Shhh, it's a secret...

SavedFromBoredom: It's a talent...! lol. ^^)

Silverstargazing: Yup, it's a cross. And the pairing, thus far, is K/K...

Tsuki Yume: Thanks for the review.

Chinadoll27: ^^() Yea, I get that a lot. I tried to lengthen the chapter this time, but I'm afraid I can't make it much longer than this...I'm a naturally lazy bum...

Sailor-Celestia2: Thanks for the review!!

~* Mediaminer *~

Kagome15: Thanks for reviewing!! I hope I didn't disappoint~!!

Tbiris: Eh? OK then, thanks for the review.

KuramasBlueGurl: Glad that you enjoyed the story thus far!! Thanks for the review~!

InsaneAuthoress: Thanks a bunch!!

Na-Na: Glad that you're enjoying this story!

Kikyo Killer: *blush* Aw, that's mad sweet... Thanks a bunch for the review, and for the compliments!!

Sanura: oO;; Aw, that jus hit me right here!! *thumps chest* I'm so glad you're enjoying this fanfiction so far!!

Sm: Thanks a bunch for the review!!

~* End *~

Yuki: Thanks for all the reviews!!!

Hachi: And we hope you'd all continue to read and review!!!

Happy Reading~!

Lots of greets,

Yukisora and Hachigatsu

Edited by: Wake-Robin

Last Checked: July 11, 2004