Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Jewel of the Chaotic Souls ❯ New Assignment ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Chapter Ten
New Assignments

Kurama walked into Teach Misa's class on Monday, the following week. He spotted Toya and Ami and headed straight for their table.

"Hello," he greeted, as he placed his things under the table.

Ever since Kurama had started this class, he'd been sitting with Kagome, Toya, and Ami. Now, none of them could find any reason why this cannot continue.

"Hiya, Shuuichi-kun!!" Ami greeted, leaning forward and giving him a sound smack on the cheek. "Have you seen Kagome-chan today? She wasn't in math class."

Kurama frowned. "No, no I haven't."

"Hm," Ami sighed. "I'd thought that she might have just decided to cut math-Kami* knows how boring it is. But, if she misses Teach Misa's class, then I'm guessing she's probably not in today..." Which is weird, Ami added, since we're supposed to hang...

Toya was about to join in the conversation, when Teach Misa entered.

"Class," she said, calling to their attention automatically. She stood behind her desk with her hands clasped together, in the fashion that she does whenever she has good news for the class. "We have a new member joining our class today. Everyone, please welcome Suzumi Sinhari!"

Kurama's eyes widened in momentary horror, as Suzumi walked into the classroom with a bright smile. Immediately, her eyes landed on him and her smile widened even more. The class gave a scattered muttering, before returning to their work.

"Shuuichi-san!!" Suzumi greeted, sitting on Kagome's vacated seat. "What a surprise!!"

Yes, a horribly unpleasant surprise, Kurama thought, while he smiled tightly at her. Toya was snickering quietly to himself, while Ami was throwing him sympathetic looks.

Taking a deep breath, Kurama turned his attention to the watercolors before him. Time to immerse himself so deeply into his works, no one would be able to penetrate his barrier-not even Suzumi Sinhari.

---

Kurama left his classroom when the final bell rung. He headed straight for the front entrance, where he'd be making a direct trip to Kagome Higurashi's home. He was absolutely fascinated that she'd be absent-for the very first time in the entire term-directly after the strange occurrence with that ki* the night before. Perhaps it was just coincidence...

...And then again, perhaps not.

His eyes landed on her painting, still in display on the hallway and stopped. Since Youko had kept vigilant the night before, he wasn't around to hound him today with his sarcastic comments.

His eyes trailed over the intricate and immensely detailed painting, once again marveling at the likeliness between the figure in the painting and the kitsune* queen in Youko's memory.

Ashita no Asatte*...

For a while, Kurama had forgotten to investigate how Kagome could possibly know of Youko's mother, who had disappeared from the realms centuries before Kagome Higurashi had been born. With the threat of the youkai* currently residing in the Nigenkai* and the strange occurrence that had the entire Reikai* in an upheaval the night before, Kurama had completely forgotten about this little investigation.

But now...

He stepped out of the school and began his way towards Kagome's home. According to the school's information, she should live in a Shinto Shrine somewhere within...

Kurama stopped before a large shrine in the middle of a quiet, homely neighborhood. His eyes marveled at the serenity of the place. As though to prove to him just how serene, a gentle breeze ruffled through, jingling the bells on the side.

He couldn't imagine the ever-evasive Kagome living in any place outside of a Shrine. Or perhaps, it's because he doesn't know her well enough to assume such a thing.

He walked up the steps and into the main building. Knocking a few times, he waited until he heard slow feet shuffling across the ground. When he saw the shadow of a figure, he automatically took half a step back to give the person some room.

The ancient face of an old man appeared through the door, holding what appears to be a scroll. "Yes?" he asked, narrowing his eyes at Shuuichi. He dressed in a white haori and cornflower-blue hakamas*. Gray hair tied back with a white band in a style that suggested that all strangers were to be treated in a "no-nonsense" fashion. His dark eyes bore down on the uncomfortable teen.

Shuuichi sensed no major power residing inside the old man, but all the same, he felt as though the old man could see right to his heart, where Youko remained.

"Hello," Kurama bowed, "Would this be the residence of Kagome Higurashi?"

As though all of his suspicions had been confirmed, the old man held his scroll a bit higher. Kurama vaguely wondered what he'd done wrong. "And what are your relations to my granddaughter?"

Her grandfather? Kurama blinked, but gave no more than an aloof expression. "I am a classmate from school, sir. Kagome-san was not in school today, and I have the assignments she missed today."

The elder Higurashi frowned and eyed his uniform up and down. He stared right into Kurama's unblinking emerald eyes once again, before stepping aside. "She's not home right now. But you can leave her assignments here. I'll inform her when she gets back."

Kurama bowed, stepping into the Shrine. The feel of the sacred ground made him slightly uncomfortable, due to the level of youki* that his merge with Youko caused. Yet, it was because of this high level of youki that he'd been able to pass through the barrier and into the grounds in the first place without turning into barbecue sauce.

Was it just him or was this Shrine more...holy-like than others were? Was it, because of the Shrine itself? Or its inhabitants?

Kurama placed the assignment and books onto a coffee table in the living room, before turning back to the suspicious eyes of the old man. "Where is Kagome-san, if I may ask?"

"At a friend's." Was all the response that the kitsune got. Any questions that he might have had were brushed off, because he was quickly ushered out of the Shrine. "I'll tell Kagome you came by."

Kurama stood at the foot of the stairs, staring at the closed door of the Shinto Shrine. He had a feeling that this family was not always so suspicious. And if Kagome wasn't home today, then where had she been? Why was the old man so protective of his granddaughter?

Again, his thoughts strayed to Kagome's famed painting and to the events of the night before. After the meeting with Kagome's grandfather, he just knew that Kagome Higurashi had to have a connection with the situation at hand. But now the question is, what is her connection?

Perhaps the time has come to ask Koenma some questions...

---

Shippo sat by the edge of his kaa-san's* bed, as he watched sweat pour down his mother's forehead. She was twisting and turning on the bed, tangling the white cotton sheets around her until she was trapped in her own spinning.

"N-no..." she muttered to herself. "I won't let you...not Souta...no..."

Shippo frowned, and leaned forward to wipe the sweat off his mother's face. Her eyes snapped open immediately and her hand clasped onto his own in a grip that Shippo was certain left a bruise. He could feel herself starting to build up her power, and realize that she's still dreaming.

"Kaa-san," Shippo whispered, trying to pry her hands off his own. "It's me, Shippo. I'm not going to even THINK of taking Uncle Souta away from you."

Hearing this, Kagome blinked. Her eyes lost some of their white glow, and returned to their normal blue-gray. "Shippo?"

"Kaa-san," Shippo leaned forward and helped her sit up. "You've been asleep for the whole day."

"Souta...?"

The kitsune lowered his eyes. "We don't know where Uncle Souta might have gone."

Kagome closed her eyes and leaned back onto her pillow. So it hadn't been a dream. She had really lost her brother to a large mass of shadows. She had really failed her baby brother.

"What happened, while I was asleep?"

Shippo held his mother's hand in his own and stared at her covered eyes. "I contacted Enma and Sess. They're both sending out teams to search for Uncle Souta right now, in both Reikai and Makai*. Since you were asleep, I took over for the search in the Nigenkai. Enma-san is thinking of letting his son send out his Reikai Tentai* to search for Uncle Souta, as well. But he's not going to do that until he has your permission, since Uncle Souta is a direct family member of a top Ancient."

"Searching for Souta is a top priority," Kagome stated, looking into her adoptive son's eyes. "I'll let my identity known, if it means we'll find Souta-and Rin."

"Hai*, Kaa-san," Shippo brushed a few strands of hair away from her forehead. He knew that's what she would have said, but Enma had insisted. Shippo sighed. "Kagome kaa-san..." the kitsune bowed his head to his surrogate mother. His eyes turned shameful, as he turned his emerald gaze away from one of the people, who'd saved him when he was but a cub. The person who'd cared for him, as though he was her own. "Gomen nasai*."

Kagome swallowed. It occurred to her that her baby cub might be suffering just as much as she had. And she could only imagine the kind of panic her mother and grandfather must be in right now. "Does momma and Jii-san*..."

"Yes," Souta bowed lower. "I contacted both sofu-san* and sobo-san* the moment I brought you home." He swallowed. "I didn't give them the details, kaa-san...I thought that you might..."

"Thank you, Shippo." Kagome smiled, as tears rushed to her eyes. All the anxiety, the fears, and the worry she'd been harboring over her baby brother wasn't wrong. They weren't just nightmares. Now her entire family is suffering, because she hadn't been careful enough. Hadn't the years taught her to trust her instincts? Where had her experience fled?

Shippo hugged her tightly, as tears coursed down his adoptive mother's cheeks. Kagome held nothing back, as she finally cried. She cried for her brother. Cried for her mother, for her grandfather, for Shippo. She cried for anyone, who had been affected by Souta.

She cried for herself.

---

Shippo brought Kagome back over to the Higurashi Shrine. Mrs.Higurashi had almost thrown a casket when she saw her daughter carried in like this. Had Shippo not managed to quiet her in time, she would have woken a much-needed rest from Kagome. And, knowing his mother as he did, he knew that Kagome wouldn't have been able to rest until she had explained everything.

And he didn't want his mother to experience everything all over again until she's more up for it.

"She's been asleep ever since the incident...?" Sesshoumaru trailed off. He watched his friend and equal fret in her sleep. He watched as she threw the covers off her in an attempt to slay the monsters of her dreams. Gently, he covered her a bit more firmly with the blanket.

"No," Shippo sighed. "She woke up once, blamed herself, and cried herself back to sleep."

"She would." Sesshoumaru's troubled golden eyes bore down on Kagome's hidden ones. How had she managed to live all these centuries and still kept that pure heart of hers? Was it a requirement to be the Protectress of the Shikon no Tama?

"Sesshoumaru-sama," Shippo frowned. "You realize that whoever is behind this seems to be after the top Ancient of each realm?"

"Of course." The Makai Ancient had gotten that idea the moment he had heard of what had happened to Kagome and Souta. With Rin taken from himself and Souta taken from Kagome, the only Ancient that has not been affected was Enma.

"Enma already knows of the possibilities," Sesshoumaru stated, turning away from his friend. "He has put on extra guards onto the Reikai defenses." He looked into the kit that Kagome had adopted. The kit that has attained the status as an Ancient over the years. His eyes, then, trailed back to the woman, who had once again thrown off her covers. In fact, she'd managed to burn a hole through it. "Be on the alert, kit."

Shippo seemed somewhat insulted by this. "You need not remind me of this, Sesshoumaru-sama," he stated with just a hint of arrogance. "And worry not, I will keep an eye on my mother."

---

Kurama and the rest of the detectives arrived to Koenma's office in the usual manner-following Botan.

"Quiet, all of you," Koenma snapped, after he sent Botan and George out of the room. He breathed. "There has been information from the upstairs. It seems that the Council has decided that you four may know, as you have a slight chance of assisting."

Yuuske opened his mouth for the usual bantering with his infant boss, but stopped when Koenma sent him a look, a look he'd never seen before.

"First of all," Koenma continued, "You're assignment has been changed. The search for the S-class demon has been turned over to the Reikai Team-let me finish!" He snapped, when, again, they made noises as though to interrupt again. "Do all of you know of the Ancients of the Realms?"

"Eh?" Yuuske asked, scratching his head.

"Ancients?" Kuwabara repeated, showing the same, confused look. "Who are they?"

"They are the people, who, in actuality, control each Realm." Hiei stated. "The Nigenkai, Reikai, Makai, each realm is subjected to at least one Ancient. The Ancients, in turn, protect each realm."

"That's correct," Koenma said. "The Ancients are the people who had either been there, or assisted in the creation of the three Realms. As you might have known or not, the Reikai, Nigenkai, and Makai used to be one single realm. The realm consisted of humans, demons, and spirits all in one realm. Humans were considered inferior to demons and were hunted down due to their weaker states. There were humans back then, who had possessed spiritual energy. Those strong enough were considered priests or priestesses.

"But all that changed when my father, Enma, and the-back then-Demonic Lord of the Western Lands, Sesshoumaru, and the Protectress of the Shikon no Tama, Kagome Higurashi," Kurama's eyes widened when he heard the familiar name. "Organized and separated the one realm into three realms. They erected the barrier that stands between the Makai and Nigenkai, so that youkai are unable to kill humans.

"Those who had helped create the three worlds became known as the Council of the Ancients. No one, but the Ancients know how many members there are all together. And, before tonight, I had known no Ancient, but for my father. But we do know that there is one 'Top Ancient' for each realm. My father is the Ancient of Reikai, Lord Sesshoumaru is the Ancient of Makai, and Lady Kagome Higurashi is the Ancient of Nigenkai."

*No way!* Youko cried out into Shuuichi's mind. *Are you serious?*

"So what do they want now?" Yuuske asked.

"Not long past, Lord Sesshoumaru's adoptive-daughter, Rin-sama, had disappeared, it seems, from all of the three Realms. And just recently, the brother of Kagome-sama had been taken from her. Kagome-sama had allowed her identity to be known if it meant that her brother be saved, and Lord Sesshoumaru had agreed as well."

"The Ancients have an idea that the enemy seems to be targeting the Top Ancient of each Realm, as no one else had reported any disappearances. Lord Sesshoumaru has no close relations except for Lady Rin and Kagome-sama. However, Kagome-sama DOES have a normal, average ningen* family."

"And you want us to protect her family." Kurama finished.

"Yes, in case the enemy decides to take everyone close to the Ancients, we must protect them at all costs." Koenma's gaze bore down onto them. "This mission is not as trivial as the Sensui saga, nor like the mission with the three rulers of Makai. The Ancients have been here for Centuries. Since before time as we know it. They are more powerful than any of us could ever IMAGINE.

"Whoever it is, that is able to take their loved ones away from them right before their noses, is not going to be like any opponent you've ever met. DO NOT take lightly of this mission."

"I didn't think of it." Yuuske stated.

"Either way, all we have to do is to bodyguard some ningens." Kuwabara stated. "And if the Ancients are as strong as you say, then this Kagome Higurashi could help when the time comes for us to fight the enemy-so what could go wrong?"

"Famous last words," Kurama murmured, as he watched his friend's confident expression.

"Furthermore," Koenma continued, as though his team had not said a word. "Due to my obvious relations to my father, I've been put under a protective right. None of you will see me for a while, so any information or help, you'll have to search on your own. I've given you all access to the Reikai Library. Any questions?"

"Where does this girl's family live?" Hiei asked.

"In the Shinto Shrine down in..."

"I know where she lives." Kurama said. "I've been to her home."

All of them turned to stare at Kurama. "What?" Yuuske asked.

"Kagome Higurashi is a classmate of mine in my school," Kurama said. "I know her home."

"Well then," Obviously flustered, Koenma breathed. "Anything else?"

*We should go check her family out tonight.* Youko stated. *If she is an Ancient, then no doubt that her family should know of this-and the Realms-already. Kagome, in turn, should know of the turn of event.*

~Yes.~

"One last thing," Koenma added, "No one, but you, knows of this. No one-not even Botan and Keiko-could learn of this, understand?"

"Yea, yea," Yuuske waved a dismissive hand toward his boss. "Is that it? I think we should really scout this family, if we're to protect them. By the way, do they know of the protection?"

"You may tell them." Koenma stood. "Yuuske, all of you..."

They had never heard their boss so apprehensive when he stated, "Good luck."

---

"You again!" The grandfather of Kagome stated when he caught sight of Kurama. "What do you want?"

"Father," a woman's voice called from inside the house. "Who is it?"

A few moments later, the unmistakable face of Kagome's mother appeared behind the old man. "Hello," she greeted. She did not scream or cast suspicion upon them, but she did not smile either. "Please excuse my father. He has been through much today. Is there something we can help you with?"

"Yes, Mrs. Higurashi," Kurama stepped forward. "I am a classmate of Kagome's from school. There are some matters that we ask for Kagome-sama's audience, and you and senior Higurashi."

"If this has anything to do with Kagome's absence," Mrs. Higurashi began.

"No, no," Yuuske stepped forward now. "It's not that. This is something of an utmost importance. We really need to speak to Kagome-sama."

If the mother and grandfather of Kagome noted how strange it was for these teenagers to be calling their Kagome "sama," they did not remark upon it. Finally, Mrs. Higurashi allowed them into the house, though Mr. Higurashi continued to stare at them in suspicion.

"I'll go see if Kagome's well enough for an audience." Mrs. Higurashi stated. "If she isn't, I must ask you all to leave her be."

"Of course," Kurama bowed. Kagome's ill? Didn't the grandfather just say that she was over at a friend's earlier that afternoon?

---

"Lord Sesshoumaru, Shippo," Mrs. Higurashi entered Kagome's room in light footsteps. "There are a group of teens downstairs seeking for Kagome's presence."

"Tell them to leave," Sesshoumaru stated immediately. "Kagome needs her rest."

"I sense energy from them," Mrs. Higurashi added. "And they states that they have important matters, but I..."

"Of course, sobo-san," Shippo stood. He glanced over at Sesshoumaru. "Sesshoumaru-sama, please watch over my mother."

A single brow rose, in an expression that clearly stated, "Need you ask?"

Mrs. Higurashi breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you."

---

The tentai all snapped to the alert, when the heard the footsteps come down the steps. "My daughter is not well enough to come down," Mrs. Higurashi stated. "This is her-cousin, Shippo." Shippo regarded them with a nod.

"Ahm."

Kurama didn't know how he should go about this. He had seriously expected Kagome to be present when they told the Higurashi family that they were their newly appointed bodyguards. Now that she isn't, he wasn't sure where to begin. From his friend's awkward expressions, they were facing the same problems.

"Well," Kurama finally stated. "I must assume that you know of what is going on." He noticed that Shippo's emerald eyes narrowed even more, as he studied each of them.

"Reikai members?" he asked suddenly, shocking everyone in the room.

"Oh, good," Yuuske sighed with relief. "You really DO know what is going on. Then the only thing is, Koenma has asked us to guard over the Higurashi family. We are members of the Reikai tentai. I'm Yuuske Urameshi, this is Kurama, that guy over there is Hiei, and this is Kuwabara Kazuma."

"Reikai tentai?" Mrs. Higurashi frowned. "You mean that realm where all the dead people go to?"

"That's right."

"How do I know if you really are tentai?" Shippo asked. "Where are your verifications?"

It was a good thing that Koenma thought of this, Kurama thought, as he took out a sign from the Prince of Reikai. Shippo held a hand over the sign and a green light appeared before the paper.

Kitsune magic?

"Is Kagome a part of this protection right?" Shippo asked, his eyes narrowing. His mother would blow a fuse if she realized that the son of Enma wants to put her under protection.

"Just her family." Hiei stated.

"Then that's two for each," Shippo sighed. "The only two major member of Kagome's family is her mother and grandfather." What's left, anyways, he added silently

"What about you?" Yuuske asked.

"Don't worry about me." Shippo stood. "Is that everything?"

"Yes."

"Good." He started for the steps, only to stop a moment later. "Thank Koenma for me, by the way." Then, without further adieu, he headed back up the steps, leaving a very confused Mrs. Higurashi, Mr. Higurashi, and a somewhat befuddled team of tentai.

Vocabulary

Kami: God or Spiritual Beings

Ki: energy

Kitsune: fox

Ashita no Asatte: Refer to chapter three.

Youkai: demon

Nigenkai: Human realm

Reikai: Spiritual Realm

Haori: top portion of a triditional miko garb

Hakamas: lower portion of a triditional miko garb

Youki: demonic ki

Kaa-san: mother

Makai: Demonic realm

Tentai: detectives

Hai: yes

Gomen nasai: I'm sorry

Jii-san: Grandfather

Sofu-san: Another way of greeting grandfather. I decided against "great-grandfather" since Shippo in my story looks older than Kagome.

Sobo-san: grandmother

Ningen: human


IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello everyone. I've recently created a new angelfire homepage, where anyone who wishes could get updated in my current news/announcements (in "blog"), get the spoilers to all my stories (under "spoilers") view my posting schedule (in "schedule"), learn of my most current updates in various sites (under "update") and also get the background information that everyone should know before reading my fanfictions in the first place. (That part of the site is rather wasted, however, since I'm pretty sure everyone should know of the original storyline already. ^.~)

Anyhow, if anyone have any questions or comments, you can also post them in my different pages. At the end of each entry should be a link where you can post your comments. You do NOT have to be an angelfire member to post. ANYONE can post questions/comments in ANY of my different pages. (With the exception on my homepage.)

http:// www. angelfire. com/ anime6/ rhexi (remove the spaces when copying and pasting)


(!) Spoilers will be posted as of next update.

~* Fanfiction *~

Wake-Robin: Heh, I consider this to be an extremely fast update.

Ruby Raze: Thanks a lot!!! ^^-

Chinadoll27: sobs I tried!! Really, I did!!! But...I can't help it!

Silvermoonyoukai: Thanks, I'm glad you like this story!!!

SavedFromBoredom: Thank you...

Anonymous: Yes, I'm doing a pairing for this. So far, I'm planning on Kag/Kur


I noticed that reviews in fanfiction.net's going down lately. The action for this story is increasing, yet the reviews keep on decreasing. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?


~* Mediaminer *~

Sm: Hope I didn't disappoint!

Sesshyluvr: I'll try to get the fluff in as quick as possible, but I don't want them to just gaze and one another and just instantly fall in love or something. I find that to be extrememly annoying, no offense to anyone who might author such stories.

Kikyo killer: Yes, you said the magic word. Unfortunately, I'm still as lazy as hell, so I probably didn't update as quickly as you would have liked however...

The sorceress: Ah, yes...the 'Game.' I'd love to play your game...except I think I'd loose within the first day I enter so...^^() As for my address: I live in the MOOOOON!!!!!!!! Anyways, I'm not going to say anything about any of your guesses, so you'll just have to read to find out!! Heh, and thanks a lot for your suggestions too!!

IOWA CHIC: Thank you, for all those realy's. Glad you're enjoying this fic so far.

Terraflame: Thanks for the review! I'm glad you're enjoying this fic so far! And am I supposed to decode the ending part?

XXJBxXInuyashaXxJBXx: And I came again!!

Jadeia: Thanks for the review!!!

Tbiris: cowers That's a scary glare you've got...

InsaneAUTHORESS: Haha, lol. To give them credit, it's not really because the tentai are stupid. More like because no one really knows a lot about them. Kurama and Hiei knows OF them but, like everyone else, they don't really know anything about them. Only top officials of each Realm really knows of them.

Kitty kitsune: Nope. No connection to that fic what so ever. Thanks for the review.


Thanks a lot everyone!!! You've all totally made my day!!!!!!

~* End *~

Yuki: Thanks for the review everyone!!!

Hachi: And we hope you would all continue to read and review!!!!

Happy Reading~!

Lots of greets,
Yukisora and Hachigatsu