Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ River of Crystals ❯ The Last Day ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Last Day
 
 
 
“Talking”
 
`Thinking'
 
Stressed
 
 
 
 
Sango and Miroku had sent Hiei and Shippo out with Kohaku to train. Inuyasha nodded his head as he approached them. They were near the Goshinboku with their weapons ready. Sango was in her Taijiya uniform with Kirara transformed next to her. Inuyasha watched as Kagome entered the clearing with Hami-Yumi and quiver of arrows readied. Miroku calmly held his Shakujou and waited for what would ever come.
 
“How you guys doing?” Kagome happily asked. Inuyasha's eye twitched as he wondered if she could be cheerful in ever coming battle.
 
“Tense,” Sango answered with a smile. Miroku looked over at her, grasped her hand, and squeezed in reassurance.
 
“I don't think we have to worry,” Kagome calmly assured.
 
Miroku eyed her suspiciously and smirked in his all-knowing perverted mind. Inuyasha raised an eyebrow in question. Kagome stood next to Inuyasha and waited for Youko to show. She was a bit nervous; she only hoped that he wouldn't force them to fight him. Kagome had a feeling he wouldn't, but you could never know a true decision with a Kitsune.
 
The silver figure approached them with easy grace. Kagome watched as he walked and wondered if he floated. Shaking her head, she kept her face calm. He looked up and smirked at her as he stopped ten feet away.
 
“What is you decision?” Inuyasha decided to demand, he hated pussyfooting around.
 
“I haven't came to a proper conclusion…I would like more time to study the village,” Youko calmly said. Kagome held her smile back as she watched Miroku stare at the youkai.
 
“The rules will remain the same,” Miroku warned.
 
“No harm will come to anyone,” Youko assured with a smile.
 
“You may have hut,” Sango offered.
 
“I need no hut…but your offer is generous,” Youko smoothly said.
 
“Then you are welcomed into the village,” Miroku stated as he glanced over at Kagome. Her face held hints of a smile.
 
Youko nodded and smiled at them, his gaze lingered on Kagome.
 
 
 
 
Kagome walked into Kaede's hut and found the woman hunched over. Her breathing was shallow. Kagome rushed over to her and helped her to a futon. Calling for Miroku, he came in and frowned.
 
“Her aura is fading,” Miroku whispered.
 
“No,” Kagome whispered in remorse.
 
“She doesn't have that much time,” Miroku informed.
 
“Thank you Miroku, can you please leave us?” Kagome asked. Miroku hesitated but left the hut.
 
Kagome took Kaede's hand and kneeled beside her. Her one eye turned to Kagome and she softly smiled. Kagome reassuringly smiled at her and coughed.
 
“Kaede, I have someone that I would like you to see,” Kagome whispered.
 
“Is it…”
 
“Don't say her name…to many are listening,” Kagome whispered.
 
“Please take me to her,” Kaede whispered.
 
Kagome thanked the Kamis for her youkai strength as she picked up Kaede. Everyone looked at her and Kagome set her down and held her around the waist.
 
“Where are you taking her?” Sango asked.
 
“She wants to go somewhere,” Kagome answered.
 
“Buts she's dieing,” Inuyasha growled.
 
“I wish to do one last quest,” Kaede announced as she coughed.
 
“Can I take Kirara?” Kagome asked. Sango nodded and Kirara ran over and transformed.
 
“Your not going alone,” Inuyasha, stated with triumphant grin. He would find out where she was going one way or another.
 
“I'm going with her,” Youko said as he jumped from the roof.
 
“No…we don't even know you,” Inuyasha growled as he stepped forward.
 
“This is something I have to do for her,” Kagome determinedly whispered.
 
“Fine…leave again…see if I care,” Inuyasha harshly said as he turned and left.
 
Kagome dejectedly sighed as she helped Kaede onto Kirara. Climbing behind her, they took to the air. Kagome held her around the waist as the traveled. Closing her eyes, she held back the tears that threatened to form. Opening her eyes, she whispered to Kirara where to go. Watching the trees below her, she smiled as she watched a streak of silver appear and vanish. Urging to Kirara to hurry they went a bit faster to towards the mountain, Kikyo lived on.
 
 
 
 
Kikyo stood at the edge of the cliff and watched as they landed. It was as if she always knew when they came. Her eyes widened in shock as Kagome helped Kaede off Kirara. Kikyo stood frozen not knowing what to do. She then looked toward Kagome and found her expression somber. Kikyo sadly smiled and helped Kaede into the hut. They laid her upon the futon and Kagome stood and walked to the door. Kikyo gave her a questioning look.
 
“You need time alone,” Kagome whispered.
 
Walking back outside she found Youko at the edge of the cliff. Kagome sat down and sadly smiled. Youko sat beside her and looked into the forest. Kagome sighed and leaned her head on his shoulder. He placed a hand on her shoulder.
 
“If you need to talk…I'll listen,” he whispered to her.
 
Kagome turned her head buried her head into his chest. He frowned when he felt the warm tears hit his skin. Pulling her into his lap, he began to rock her. Kagome's crying seemed to worsen as he rocked her. The sun was beginning to set and her tears had stopped.
 
“Why is there death?” Kagome suddenly asked.
 
“I don't know,” Youko honestly said.
 
“It's not fair that humans have such short lives,” Kagome mumbled.
 
“No one said life was fair,” Youko responded.
 
“I've seen to many deaths,” Kagome whispered.
 
“And I've caused many deaths,” Youko whispered.
 
Footsteps echoed and Kagome stood up. Kikyo's eyes were a bit red and watery. Kagome sadly smiled and knew that Kaede had passed. Kikyo held out her hands and Kagome stared at orb that was Kaede's soul. The orb floated out of Kikyo's hands and past Kagome before it vanished into the sky. Not bothering to question whom the other youkai was Kikyo began her descent down the mountain. Kagome wordlessly followed knowing that they would need wood.
 
The sun had sunk into the horizon and they had built finished collecting the wood. Youko had taken most of the wood so they wouldn't have t make another trip down. Kikyo had silently begun stacking the wood into what she had once long ago been burned on. The moon was shining down as the rest Kaede's body and wood. Kikyo brought the torch out and started the fire. Kagome watched as the flames flickered passed Kaede and eventually they consumed her.
 
Leaning against Youko, she took comfort in his warmth. The night had become colder. Kikyo closed her eyes and began to say a prayer for her sister's soul. Kagome closed her eyes and whispered her own prayer. Kikyo sadly smiled as she watched the fire burn.
 
“It's ironic,” Kikyo whispered. Kagome looked up at her in confusion. “The older sister shouldn't have to watch the younger die.”
 
Youko studied the Miko that looked like Kagome in confusion. He smelt the scent of death around her and wondered why they looked alike.
 
“She wanted to see you one last time,” Kagome whispered.
 
“I thank you for allowing me to see her one last time,” Kikyo whispered.
 
“Don't be sad, you'll see her again…one day,” Kagome assured. Kikyo smiled and looked at the fire.
 
“One day…when I truly find death, that is when I will see her again,” she whispered.
 
“Until that day…live,” Kagome said.
 
“That I will,” Kikyo whispered.
 
The fire had burnt out and all that remained where ashes. Kikyo had gathered the ashes into a pot that she had made. She handed the ashes to Kagome and told her to bury them next to her grave in the village. Kagome took the ashes and held them to her chest tightly. Before she climbed onto Kirara, Youko got on next to her. Kikyo had said one last thing before she left.
 
“There is more death in the future.”
 
 
 
 
Author's Note: