Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ 'Til Death Do Us Part ❯ Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

`Til Death Do Us Part- Chapter 5: "Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire"

By Matoko Shizaki

Disclaimer: FUNimation owns YYH. Wish I did, then Kuwabara could be all mine! ::Stars in eyes…again:: Oh well, I can dream can't I?

Notes: This is only taking me three days so far and I'm determined to make it better then "Love and Hate". Most readers would say that's impossible but it's worth a try. Now, my dedications. Thank you to those of you that have reviewed. I really appreciate the feedback:

Agent Mio

KB_girl3

Animej

@~@~@~@~@

The sun rose slowly as the jungle seemed to come alive. Yukina said up and yawned. "What a night!" she muttered untangling the branches and leaves from her hair. A grumbling noise made her stop. "I must be hungry." Yukina said. Just then, she noticed the fruit trees all around her. "Splendid!" Yukina picked the fruit leisurely, packing some of them away in her bag for later and eating some. The sweet fruit of the juices soothed her dry mouth. After finishing another apple, Yukina packed up camp and continued walking.

Dried blood still stuck to her right arm where the spear had hit her. Having nothing to bandage it with, Yukina ignored it and hiking up over the rocks. Suddenly, sunlight exploded out from the path ahead. It had been a tad faint in the other parts of the forest but now the canopy faded allowing sunlight to stream down. "The end of the jungle?" Yukina wondered. Running at top sped, Yukina burst out into the sunlight. Laid out before her was a desert of endless sand and sun contained by a long rock canyon. Yukina tear dropped. "Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire. Shrugging it off, Yukina stepped out into the sand, cringing because of the heat of the sand. "Ouch! I hope the other's are having better luck then I am!"

Yusuke, Kurama, and Hiei stood watch over Kuwabara's bed talking. "What are we going to do? We can't just leave Yukina out there with that crazy demon around!" Yusuke said putting his foot up on a chair. Kurama nodded. "I quite agree. Yukina doesn't even have any attack abilities. She's defenseless…" Hiei grunted. "If you don't have any better plans, I'm going and finding her." Hiei drew his katana from his belt and leapt out the open window. Kurama shook his head. "We're not quite sure where Yukina is. She could be in an illusion for all we know." Yusuke crossed his arms. "I think that's where she is."

Sweat poured down Yukina's pale face as she walked on, hoping to escape from the blistering heat soon. "Wait, I can try an ice barrier." Yukina said. The Koorime maiden tried in vain to produce the ice barrier in order to case the canyon in ice but was unable to. "I'm just too tired. I don't have any rei-ki left." Yukina groaned. Suddenly, something shot out in front of her. A giant spiked beam was blocking her way. "What the?" Yukina approached it but as she did, another one shot out just narrowly missing her back. "Oh crap…" Yukina broke into a run, jumping and sliding out of the way of the beams who's only goal seemed to be to impale her right through. Feeling her body give in to fatigue, Yukina slowed and braced herself for the beam to pierce her body. After a few minutes, she opened her eyes to become conscious of the fact that she was flying.

"That was close, wasn't it?" Yukina heard a familiar voice say. She looked up to find that Hiei, her older brother, was holding her in his arms as he jumped across the canyon. "Hiei! Why are you here?" "I figured you need a hand." Hiei said with a smile. He drew his katana just in time to land and slice the beam blocking their way in half. "Can you run?" Hiei asked, concerned. "Yes I…" Yukina stopped and fell to her knees. Apparently, she hadn't totally dodged the spikes. A huge gash was slit across her shin pouring blood down her leg and onto her worn sandals. Hiei picked her up again and leapt to the top of the canyon. "Here, now to tend to your wounds."

Hiei ripped strips off the bottom of his robe and wrapped them carefully around Yukina's wounds. "Thank you Hiei. I'm in your debt." Hiei helped Yukina to her feet. "You owe me nothing. Any brother would do that for his little sister." Yukina smiled and hugged Hiei. "Now what?" Hiei looked out onto the horizon. "We get to that bitch Abunai and get that soul back."

The front door opened and Yusuke came in. Keiko looked up from holding Tomo and asked him, "Any word on Yukina or Kuwabara?" Yusuke sat down on the couch next to his wife. "Hiei went after Yukina. I don't know if he found her but… Anyway, Kuwabara is slipping away. The life support seems to be his only chance of remaining alive now." Keiko sighed and got up to put Tomo back in his crib. "Things seem dark for them but I trust that Yukina will come through for him." Keiko smiled optimistically. "I guess you're right." Yusuke said holding Keiko's hands. "You bet I am." Keiko said before kissing Yusuke on the cheek.

Abunai scowled. "That damn Hiei! He had to interfere. Now matter." The demon turned her chair away from the video screen so that her face was shadowed sinisterly. "I'll just up the stakes a little…" She snapped her finger and a control demon appeared from the door at the far side of the room. "You called my lady?" The demon asked in a shrewd voice. "Yes, prepare the last challenge. But make sure that pint sized demon, Hiei, doesn't enter with Yukina." The control demon bowed. "As you wish Lady Abunai." Abunai turned back to the video screen and watched as Hiei and Yukina made their way closer to the final challenge. "I can't wait to see this…" she said with a smirk.

Nightfall was approaching when Hiei and Yukina stopped. They made a fire and sat around roasting the fruits and vegetables Yukina had picked earlier. Things were silent except for the crackling of the fire. Yukina gazed into the fire anxiously until Hiei finally spoke. "You must really love him… to go and do this…" Yukina looked up at her brother who was shyly looking out at the star. "Mm hmm." Yukina replied nodding her head. "Did you just realize that?" Hiei nodded his head. "I knew Kuwabara loved you very much but I wasn't sure if you were dating him just out of sympathy." Yukina smiled. "I know I don't show it but I care a lot about him. Same with you." Hiei turned bright red and reared back. "ME? LIKE THAT IDIOT?!" Yukina laughed. "He's your friend Hiei, even though you guys don't really like each other. I know you care about him." Hiei grunted and turned away causing Yukina to laugh. "You're so stubborn." She said putting out the fire. "Maybe I am."

~~~~~~~~~

Hello again! Anyone who disagrees and says that Hiei would kill Kuwabara if he got the chance, just e-mail me at crazedpunkwashu@aol.com. Flames and comments are accepted and again, REVIEW PLEASE!