Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Mistaken Past ❯ More Than Meets the Eye ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CH.2 More than Meets the Eye

Nagi laughed. "I can understand that. I guess these teachers down here are really tough on you guys huh?"

"Not much. They are a little strict, but they have their reasons."

"Oh I get it." Nagi said turning to dig through her bag for something" Let me guess; straight A's."

"Well, I do try hard on my school work." Suichi said rubbing his head.

"I thought so," she said pulling out a notebook " Hey! We should get together after school! I could really use the help in math. At my old school I was totally failing in that subject. So what do you say? Are you free?"

Suichi thought about it. He could call his mother and tell her that he would be late. And he didn't have anything else going on. And Nagi was very nice, it would be good to get to know her.

"Sure, I'm free." He said smiling.

"Great!" Nagi's face lit up, but suddenly she looked embarrassed "Umm, Suichi is it okay if we meet at your house? Mine is a little...well..."

Suichi held up a hand "Say no more. I'm sure my mother would not mind at all. She likes company," then he did something that was rather bold of him, he reached out and squeezed her hand "and so do I."

I guess I won't have to call my mother after all, he thought.

Nagi smiled and blushed. Why was this guy making her feel this way. She had never felt this way about any guy. Well...she had, but that was a long, long time ago...

Suichi followed Nagi out into the schoolyard. They cracked jokes to each other and talked about the homework they had to do. Then Nagi stopped and looked in front of her with anger.

"Nagi?" Suichi said frowning.

Then Suichi looked ahead of them and saw why Nagi looked angry. There standing with evil smiles on their faces was three of the most athletic boys in school. And they definitely were had the look of jealousy.

"Hey Nagi," the biggest one said tilting his head "I'm not sure what you see in Suichi, but why don't you ditch that loser and come with us. We could have some fun if you know what I mean."

His friends behind him snickered. But Nagi didn't seem to be affected. She simply closed her eyes for a minute then looked back up at the thugs. Suichi had no idea what was going to happen next. But Nagi had the look in her eyes as if this was a challenge. She was smiling, but still frowned.

"Thanks for the offer," she said calmly "but the thing is I don't hang out with losers. So I guess the only ones I should be ditching is you."

It didn't seem to phase the guy, because he was still smiling.

"Ooh, we got a feisty one here boys," the thugs snickered. "Come on sweetheart, lets not get physical."

Nagi rolled her eyes and cracked her knuckles "Sweetheart?? Please! It would be like me fighting second graders. You may be bigger but I'm faster. So don't even talk to me about getting physical."

Their snickers turned into howls of laughter "She actually thinks she can beat us!! Oh man... that's a good one babe, but come on. There is no way you could take on all three of us! No one could! Especially Suichi and a girl!!"

Suichi finally spoke up "Hey! Why don't you just leave us alone! "

The big one stepped up in front of Suichi, and grabbed the collar of his shirt. But Suichi remained calm and just frowned.

"Hey geek!" the thug spat "Why don't you mind your own business and shut your mouth!!"

Suddenly, Nagi calmly gripped the thugs arm with her free hand and squeezed. Suichi could hear what sounded like cracking bones. The thug hollered in pain and released Suichi, but Nagi didn't let go. She twisted his arm around his back making him cry out more. Then she leaned close to his ear and whispered.

"Don't ever threaten one of my friends. If you ever come near Suichi or me again, I'll break more than just your arm. Count on it."

And with that Nagi placed one foot on his back and kicked him forward. He scrambled to his feet, holding his arm in pain and crying.

"Now beat it!" she yelled putting her hand on her hip.

And with that, the punks took off and ran out of sight.

"Stupid, arrogant, little bastards," Nagi mumbled. "Are you okay?"

Suichi just stood in astonishment. How could she be so strong that she could break someone's arm? That guy was the strongest athlete in school, and she was just a girl. How could this...what was she?

"Suichi?" Nagi said.

Suichi blinked "Umm, yes I'm alright."

"Good, "she said giving her hair a flip "Well that was entertaining. Shall we go?"

"Yes."

And with that, they continued their path to Suichi's home.