Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Mistaken Past ❯ Study Date ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ch.3 Study Date

"Mother! I'm home!" Suichi called.

His mother poked her head out of the kitchen, "Hello Suichi! Did you have a good..." When she caught sight of Nagi, her smile widened "... Oh, I didn't know you were having company!"

Suichi motioned for Nagi to come closer." Mother, this is Nagi. She's new at school."

Nagi waved." Hi! Suichi is helping me with homework. I'm a jinx when it comes to school," Nagi laughed a little," Suichi is really nice. You have raised a great son, ma'am."

His mother's smile became brighter. "How nice of you to say. You're very sweet and so well behaved. Suichi you should invite her over more often."

Suichi blushed. "Will you be staying for dinner sweetie? "His mother asked.

"Umm, sure. That would be very nice. Thank you for inviting me." Nagi said smiling.

His mother went back to her cooking happily. Suichi hadn't had any friends over for a long time. It was nice to see him spending time with people his own age, especially a girl. Nagi followed Suichi to his room, and sat down next to a small, black table on the floor. They got out there homework and began to look over what the assignments were.

"Grrrrrrrr!" Nagi growled in frustration. "I hate math!!"

Suichi crawled over next to her and looked at the equation. "It's not as hard as it seems. You just have to find the easiest way to do it. Find a way to do it that is best for you."

"Humph," Nagi said putting her head in her hand," Easy for you to say Mister Straight A's!"

Suichi laughed. He showed her the way to solve the problem and how to do the problem differently. She made fun of herself for being such a moron, which made him laugh even more. She was so funny and had such a carefree outlook on things. It still bothered him that he couldn't figure out why she seemed so familiar to him. He tried not to think about it, but the thought kept haunting him. He couldn't help himself anymore, he had find out who she really was.

"Nagi," he said slowly.

"Yes?" she replied, her eyes shining.

"Umm, I was wondering...where ecstatically did you come from?"

Her smile slowly faded. She lowered her head and crossed her arms." A long, long way away from here..." Suichi could see pain in her eyes, like she was searching deep into her past. Very deep."...You could even go as far as to say that...it's a whole other world."

Nagi looked at Suichi with sad, sparkling eyes. She wanted to tell him something, but was afraid. She was debating whether or not to trust him. She hadn't trusted anyone since...that day...

"Do you miss that place?" He asked her.

"Yes," she said sadly "I do. More than you can ever imagine."

"Then why did you leave?" He asked, he scooting closer to her. He wasn't sure how to comfort her, but he wanted to let her know that she could trust him.

"Because..." she hesitated. She was scared. She wanted to tell Suichi, but could she trust him? Could he keep this to himself? He was the first person she had met and he was really nice, she didn't want to get him involved. She couldn't get him involved. But he was already involved. He got involved when he met her.

"... I'm trying to find someone." She said finally.

"Who?" Suichi asked. "Is it a family member or something?"

"No." Nagi said, almost in a whisper." He was...just a close friend."

"Was?" Suichi leaned closer.

"He...he wasn't what I thought he was," she leaned her head on her arms, but kept her eyes locked with Suichi's "He left when I...when we needed him the most."

"We?" Suichi asked. He felt so nosey. He didn't want to seem like he was forcing her to tell her all about her past. But he did want to know.

"A friend of ours...a very dear friend." Suichi thought he saw wetness in her eyes. Was she going to break down? Would she cry?

"What happened to him?" Suichi asked. By the look in her eyes, he already knew the answer.

"He...he died. "A tear fell and slid down her cheek onto her hand. Now anger shown in her eyes. "And it's all because of ... him."

Suichi wiped a tear away with his finger. Nagi looked up at him with a serious look on her face.

"Suichi," she said." You can never tell anyone what I have said. No one! Promise me that you wont!"

Suichi hesitated, but then he nodded. "I promise, Nagi. I will tell no one."

She looked at him gratefully. "Thank you. You're the only person I have told in a long time."

Suichi pondered a horrible thought. "So, what will you do once you find him? I mean, will you leave?"

Nagi looked away from Suichi. "Yes, I will leave."

Suichi's eyes widened in horror. "But why? Why must you leave?"

"Because I would have no reason to stay any longer. I would have found what I had been looking for. Then I could return home."

"What about me?" He hadn't meant to say that. Why would she stay for him? He had only known her for a day. He didn't mean anything to her.

Nagi stared at him. She was a little shocked. He actually wanted her to stay. And the more she was around Suichi, the more she wanted to stay too.

"I have never, ever had anyone be as nice to me as you," Suichi said emotionally. "I have never had ... a friend. I've always been alone."

Nagi looked away from him again "Sometimes it's better to be alone."

"Why do you say that?" he asked confused.

"Because no one can hurt you. No one can...betray you." She said hiding her face.

Suichi clasped her face in his hands and made her look at him. Tears were in her eyes. They were sparkling with sadness. She looked so frail and heart-broken. Suichi couldn't bare it. He pulled her close to him and wrapped her in his embrace.

"I would never, ever hurt or betray you," he stroked her soft silky hair "And I won't let anyone else either. I promise."

Nagi's eyes widened. Only one person had held her like this, and he was the one that she was chasing. He had said the same words to her and had stroked her hair in the exact way. But Suichi seemed different, gentler, more...loving. She felt she could truly trust Suichi. But there was a familiar feeling coming from him. She felt as though she had met him before. But it was impossible...wasn't it?