Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Mistaken Past ❯ Confiding in Mom ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ch.5 Confiding in Mom

Nagi left. And once again Suichi was left on his own. He was still in shock. He just stood there, leaning on the closed door, thinking. Slowly and silently, he walked over toward the stairs and descended up. His mother came around the corner, rubbing her wet hands with a towel.

"Suichi. Did Nagi leave already? That's to bad. She is such a nice girl." Suichi slowly walked up the stairs. She was a nice girl. A nice girl who he cared for and who wanted to kill him.

"Suichi? Darling are you alright?" his mother asked. He didn't answer. When he reached the top he slowly turned the corner, out of sight. However, his mother did not follow him. She knew that whatever was bothering Suichi, that he would want to work it out on his own.

Suichi shut the door behind him and leaned against it. It was dark and lonely in his room. He stared at the place where Nagi had been sitting earlier. He slid down the door and sat on the floor. This couldn't be happing! He had finally found someone who he cared about, a lot. And who he thought cared about him. But the truth was, she was the hunter and he was the hunted. But why? What had he done to her that was so awful that she would search the Human World for him?

He thought of numerous reasons. Maybe he had killed someone from her family. Or maybe he had destroyed her home. Wait! She had talked of betrayal. How he had abandoned her and "their friend." He thought hard, trying to remember.

"Go Yoko! Save yourself!"

The thought of Kuronue struck him. Kuronue had told him to run, told him to flee to safety, and had died in the process. Then he thought of his other partner, Minagi (note: I know some people out there are like "Hey! Wait a minute there was no Minagi. And I know that too, but just in case you're freaking out, she's just a character I added okay? So just go with it. Thank you!) Whose body had never been found, so he had assumed she was dead. He never got to say good-bye to her. Over time he had fallen in love with her, and he never got to tell her how he felt. But deep in his heart, he still loved her. But know he was feeling the same love for Nagi, but she was hunting him. She wanted him dead.

A few blocks away from Suichi's house, Nagi stopped. She looked around the dark street, trying to remember the way. Then she turned the left corner and continued her walk. She cursed herself for telling Suichi so much. She promised herself that she would not let herself be weakened by these humans. But a familiar feeling had come from Suichi's warmth. She was sure that she had known him from somewhere. Her instincts were telling her so, and most of the time they were right. The thought kept nagging at her and wouldn't go away. Returning to reality, she stopped again. She looked around, finally spotting a tall, wide oak tree.

Home sweet home, she thought.

The next day, Suichi awoke sleepily. What day was it? Saturday? Or maybe Sunday. He couldn't remember, but he did know that it was the weekend. He would usually unwind from a hard week of school, but not this weekend. He didn't want to go anywhere. He just wanted to stay home, lay in bed and think. He grabbed the pillow and hid his face in it. His mother knocked on the door a little bit later.

"Suichi? Are you hungry?" she said with a worried look on her face.

"No thank you mother. I'm not hungry." He said turning over.

His mother walked over to his bedside and sat down on the edge. "Suichi, what is wrong? You've never been this down. You have been held up in your room ever since you and Nagi had your study date."

Just hearing Nagi's name made Suichi's heart crumble. He wanted to tell his mother everything. He needed someone to confide in. He decided to tell his mother, but not more than she needed to know.

"What's wrong sweetheart?" she asked again.

"Mother," he said sitting up "I'm sorry for my behavior. But, I'm having a bit of a difficult relationship with Nagi."

"What is the problem?" She asked listening very carefully.

Suichi took a deep breath and then began his story. "See, Nagi has had a hard life. She has been hurt and betrayed by ... ugh...someone who she really cared for. And she wants revenge. She has been searching for him for, a long time. I want to help her, but... in a way ...I'm connected to what happened to her."

His mother gave a startled look.

"I mean, I know what it is feels like to be betrayed. But anyway, I just feel like... like I did something to hurt her. But I'm afraid to tell her. Do you understand? "

His mother looked at Suichi and then smiled. She put her arm around his shoulders and took his hand with her free one.

"Suichi," she said lovingly. "I can't say that I know what you're going through, because I don't. But I think that if you really care about Nagi, you'll tell her how you feel. "

"But what if she hates me! What if..."

"Suichi, you cant live in The World of What If. If you really feel that you need to tell Nagi something, then tell her. Believe me, the only thing that she wants is honesty and friendship. That's all anybody ever wants. She just needs a friend. Like you."

Suichi let a tear roll down his cheek. He had never cried in front of his mom before, but he couldn't help it.

"I'm just scared mother," he said beginning to sob." I don't want to lose her."

His mother locked him gently in her embrace and stroked his hair.

"It will be alright," she cooed. "It will all be alright."

Suichi said nothing, but quietly sobbed on his mother's shoulder.