Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Mistaken Past ❯ The Truth ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
.
Ch.6 The truth

Suichi nervously dialed Nagi's number. He put the phone to his ear and listened to it ring. It rang twice before he heard Nagi's cheerful voice on the other end.

"Hello?" she said happily.

She sounded as if nothing had happened the other night. Suichi wished he could let it go to.

"Hello?" she said again, sounding a little annoyed.

Suichi spoke slowly, "Nagi." His voice cracked a little.

"Suichi? Is that you? "She asked.

"Yes." He said clearing his throat. "Umm, Nagi... we need to talk."

"Okay," Nagi said more seriously. "Umm, let's meet at the café."

"No, we need a place more...private."

"Okay, then umm..."

"Do you know the abandoned warehouse next to the market?"

"Yes."

"Meet me there in an hour."

"Okay."

"Bye."

Suichi hung up without letting her say good-bye. This was it. He had this one chance to tell her. And he wasn't going to let this slip away. He got dressed, put on his jacket and left. His mother watched him leave, with a smile on her lips.

........

Nagi waited outside the warehouse nervous. What was so important? She pulled the collar of her black, trench coat around her ears. Suddenly, she felt a drop of water fall onto her cheek. Before she looked up rain started falling. It poured hard and fast. Nagi just stood there, looking up at the pouring rain, thinking. It had rained that day too. It had washed away the blood, the tears, and her emotions. The hatred for Yoko filled her heart once more. She clenched her fists and closed her eyes. She would find him. She had to. She wanted to be free from the memories.

Suichi arrived at the warehouse drenched. He looked up at the tall building so lifeless and dark. Nagi was nowhere to be seen. He ducked inside the building quickly. He looked around the first floor. It was bare and gray. The only thing that was taking up space was an old, rusty elevator. It looked like it could still work, because the engine was still running. Nagi was still not in sight. Suddenly, he heard a loud explosion. It was a little faint and it sounded as if it came from the top floor. Suichi headed for the elevator. He ran through the open door of the elevator and pushed the button on the panel. The elevator whined and rumbled as it made it's bumpy way to the top floor. When Suichi arrived, the door of the elevator opened, giving Suichi a look at the room. It was like the first floor except it was cut into sections. Suichi still didn't see Nagi, so he called.

"Nagi!" he said loudly.

No reply, so he called again.

"Nagi!" he said it more loudly this time.

Suddenly he heard a noise in the far corner. He turned to the noise, then he heard a voice.

"No need to shout Suichi." The voice said.

Then, out of the shadows, came a dripping, wet Nagi. Her hands were in her pockets and she was smiling as she always had. Water dripped from her smooth, blonde hair and her clothes.

Suichi took a deep breath and walked over to her. She walked in his direction too. They both stopped a few feet away from each other.

"So," Nagi said," What did you want to talk to me about?"

Suichi looked at her for a while before he answered.

"Nagi," he said quietly, almost in a whisper," I...I ...I'm not who you think I am."

"Suichi," she said being more serious "I don't understand."

Suichi looked into her eyes. Damn, how he loved those eyes. Like two blue- green diamonds. He couldn't help himself, he had to look away. He couldn't look at her anymore, the innocence in her eyes was killing him. He lowered his head.

"Nagi I..." he started to panic, he couldn't do this. But he had to; he couldn't turn back now. "Nagi I... I found the man you were looking for."

Nagi stiffened her eyes wide. Suddenly, in one swift motion, she grabbed the collar of Suichi's jacket and pulled him close to her.

"Where Suichi!" she said seriously. "Where did you see him! Was he in the city?! Was he alone?! Please Suichi! I MUST KNOW!!"

Nagi's grip was strong. Calmly, Suichi grasped Nagi's hands and removed them from his collar. His head was still down. Suichi slowly released her hands. Nagi looked at Suichi and put her hand underneath his chin and made him look at her.

"Suichi what's wrong?" she said concerned.

Suichi slowly stepped back away from her. This was the moment. The moment Nagi had waited for. The moment she would meet her prey. And the moment Suichi would become an enemy. Nagi still looked confused and concerned. Suichi had to tell her. He couldn't hold back.

"Nagi," he said slowly," He... has been with you this whole time."

Nagi's eyes widened even more. She stepped back from him in total confusion.

"Wha...what?!" she stammered.

"Nagi," he said looking into her eyes, in total fear. He hesitated, but the word's flowed from his mouth.

"Nagi, I am Yoko."