Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Awakening ❯ Chapter 1: A Sudden Hope ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hello again everybody!!! I hope you liked the prologue, raises some questions doesn't it. Well here is the first chapter, might explain things for you, and it will probably raise even more questions. I'm almost done with chapter two and it is giving me quite a headache, but it will be up soon.
Chow!!
 
PS: Once again I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho.
 
 
 
Chapter 1:
A Sudden Hope
 
 
The bleep of his bedside alarm clock woke Yusuke Urameshi. He rolled over, blurry eyed and pounded on the clock with his fist, totally destroying it. Then he rolled back onto his back and pulled the covers over his head, blocking out the impending light of the outside world.
 
Soon after ward he began snoring again, and the sun rose up in the sky, making it harder for him to stay asleep. He turned and pressed his face into the pillow to ward off the oncoming light, and was disturbed by a knock on his door.
 
“Ooh, is it,” he said blearily.
 
“Yusuke,” his mother called from the other side of the door, “ Botan is here to see you!”
 
“Uhhhh,” Yusuke moaned, as he shoved his face further into the pillow.
 
“ I will just tell her to let herself in. Okay,” her statement was met by an even louder moan.
 
He then shoved his face further into the pillow, knowing what was coming. “ Good morning, sleepy head!” he heard a bubbly voice whisper into his ear, “ You need to get up now,” she was answered with an inaudible mumble from within the pillow.
 
She shook Yusuke's shoulders and he flipped around, glaring murderously at the blue haired, violet-eyed girl standing over him. “ Hello, Yusuke! How has your vacation been so far?”
 
He glared at her and ran his hand over his face and through his messy hair, “ It was going perfectly before you woke me up,” he rubbed his face again. He looked back at Botan, a scowl gracing his mouth, “ What does the toddler want now?”
 
“Now, now Yusuke. There is no reason to get upset; Koenma needs you for another mission. He told me not to disclose information yet, I am only supposed to get you and bring you to the Spirit World.”
 
Yusuke stared at her menacingly. Botan started to leave the room and before she closed the door behind her she turned and looked at Yusuke, “ Come on Spirit Detective, you have to get ready. We are leaving in ten minutes,” and she closed the door.
 
Yusuke fell back on his bed and closed his eyes, “ Well there goes my vacation; down the drain, just like that!” he snorted, threw off the covers and began to get ready.
 
* * * * * * * * * * *
 
At twelve o'clock Yusuke threw open the doors of Koenma's office, in a very bad mood. He walked into the room and saw his whole team there. Hiei was leaning up against the wall in the corner, and generally looking like he did not care, as usual. Kuwabara was sitting in a chair in front of Koenma's desk trying to engage Kurama in a conversation, but the red head, who was sitting on the other chair in front of the desk, had a far away look in his emerald green eyes.
 
Kuwabara turned around when he heard Yusuke enter the room, “ Hey Urameshi!” he yelled over, waving his hand.
 
Hiei looked over at him and graced him with his usual smirk, but Kurama didn't even looked over at him. He just stared at the wall in the corner. Kuwabara stared at Yusuke, “ Hey Urameshi,” Yusuke looked up at him, “ Do you know why we are here?” he asked.
 
“ Kuwabara, if I knew, why would I be here?” Kuwabara looked at him quizzically, and Hiei's smirk grew.
 
“Idiot,” Hiei said shifting his arms and staring at Kuwabara.
 
“ Wana say that to my face, shrimp?!” Kuwabara yelled at Hiei his face turning purple.
“Hn,” was Hiei's only reply.
 
Suddenly Koenma burst into the room, sucking fiercely on his pacifier, followed by a very nervous ogre. He glared at Yusuke, “ Sit down,” and as Yusuke was just about to make a childish retort he said, “ I need none of your cheek, Yusuke! This is a very important mission and I want your full attention.”
 
As Koenma sat behind his desk, Yusuke folded his arms across his chest and flung himself down into the chair next to Kuwabara muttering something about Koenma being a stuck-up, pacifier breathed, freak, until a murderous glare from his boss silenced him.
 
Koenma was folding his hands on his desk just as Botan entered the room. She gave all the boys a curt nod and then handed Koenma five folders. He shuffled these around on his desk and Botan stood by his side looking expectant and grave.
 
“ As I have said,” Koenma stated, “ this mission is of the utmost importance. It might not seem so at first, but it needs to be finished with much haste,” he sighed and rubbed his temples, “ There are two demons that I want you to recover for me.”
 
Yusuke scowled, “ Why are we going to go get them for you? Can't they come to you by themselves?”
 
“Because, Yusuke they are being held against their will, on an island in the middle of the ocean, with a battalion of guards patrolling the whole island, and with a mind controlling freak as their captor.”
 
“Oh,” said Yusuke scratching the back of his head.
 
“So what,” Kuwabara commented, “ Aren't they demons? Don't they have like this awesome power that will let them go through walls or something?”
 
Koenma shook his head in despair, “ So far we don't know to much about them. All we know is that if they give into the torture that they are being put through, we will have a heck of a time beating this maniac who wants to take over Spirit World.”
 
“Oh,” Yusuke said again and the ogre at Koenma's side snorted.
 
Koenma shot him a murderous glance, and then looked back at the team, “ So I will be giving you each a file on both the demons but first, I want you to listen to me,” He opened one of the folders on his desk, “ The first demon is a B classed ice demon and our sources say that she maybe be possessed by a powerful spirit that was released from Spirit World by mistake.”
 
Hiei looked up and smirked, “ Mistake?”
 
Koenma looked at Hiei, his face red, “ Mistakes are sometimes made. Dangerous spirits are sometimes released on accident.”
 
Hiei snorted and then folded his arms back up and closed his eyes. Koenma sighed and placed his head in his hands, “ If there was ever a time to listen to me without interruption,” he sighed in exasperation yet again, “ It would be now. Continuing on,” he breathed out looking up at his team again.
 
“This demon is some what uncontrollable. We tried to apprehend her months ago but she escaped each and every time. So eventually she was captured by the A class demon I mentioned earlier, and we will get onto his recorded past later. She has been in his torture chamber for the past three months and as far as we know she isn't dead, yet.”
 
Yusuke looked up confused, “ Yet? I thought that this demon wanted to use her to take over all three realms or what ever he wants to do. Why would he kill her?”
 
“This demon is the very definition of a perfect demon Yusuke,” Koenma tried to explain, “ He is intelligent, powerful, and not to mention, merciless. I have lost over a dozen of my top spies who were hired to obtain information about him,” he paused for effect, “ We believe that if she does not give into torture he will eventually kill her.”
 
Yusuke leaned back into the chair and folded his arms together loosely, “ Shesh,” he managed quietly.
 
Koenma smiled sadly, “ Yes it is very bad. Now as for the demon's name there is no record, but let me press this on you. She is ruthless and might be more than a challenge to bring back here. A few dozen of my men were frozen solid after encounters with her, so even if she looks weak, take her seriously and proceed around her with caution.”
 
Koenma let them soak in the information for a second and then looked at Yusuke and the others, “ That is only the first demon, but I'm going to have to say she might be the hardest tack on your list. The second demon we know almost even less about, we know almost nothing about her personality, what kind of demon she is, how she uses her spiritual energy, or even her class level,” Yusuke and Kuwabara looked up at him shocked, “But we have a rough guess.”
 
“ We think she is only a little less experience than the ice demon and one reason for that is that she was living in the mortal world until she was a little over thirteen. And then for some reason the demon who started this whole thing kidnapped her. Her mother, who was also an unknown demon disappeared soon afterward and was never heard from again. Her name however is listed, she was known to everyone in the mortal world as Suri Hitoshi.”
 
Koenma broke off as a sudden crack of spirit energy swept through the room. Kurama was sitting rigid in his chair; his eyes wide open and focused. Hiei graced his friend with his usual smirk but Kurama did not look at him. His eyes bored into Koenma, “ Continue,” he said forcefully more as a command rather than a suggestion.
 
Yusuke's eyebrows raised in amusement at hearing his boss being given orders to by the very intense kitsune. Kuwabara looked thoroughly amazed at Kurama's actions and Hiei's smirk grew. Koenma's face changed from a light shade of pink to beet red in an instant, he stuttered as he started off, “We, we don't know much about her. We think she is a low B class. We don't, however, know how or why she was taken considering she wasn't on a very high level when she was abducted. But our spies have told us that she has been the concentration of tortures that began when she first came then stopped about a year ago, and then when the ice demon first appeared the torture started again.”
 
“So your objective is to get to the two demon's, and bring them back here without making too much of a disturbance and getting yourselves killed. Now onto the demon you are going to be dealing with,” he paused shortly to stack his papers again, and when he looked up he shrank back under the stare of the green-eyed kitsune.
 
“Ah hem,” he brought his hand up to his mouth clearing his throat nervously, “So. Let's see,” he began shuffling through his papers until he pulled out an almost paper thin folder, “ Oh yes, this is it,” all the young men looked at the folder with an almost stoical amusement.
 
Koenma cleared his throat once again, “ As you can see we don't know much about him. He is an A class demon who is very powerful, he has an artifact from Makai that enhances his energy and makes him almost invincible. So far we don't know what this is, or how he acquired it, but we know how he uses his energy. He is an almost one of kind demon that can control the weak minded. This would include,” he looked back at the paper, “ People who have little mental defense, and people who have been made weak by any means.”
 
He put the few paper's he had back in his folder, “ This means that both the demons you are being sent to get will be prime candidates for his mind control. So if either of them attacks you, please try not to kill them. He might be controlling them against their wills.”
 
“ How will we know how to identify them?” asked Hiei looking up at Koenma.
 
Koenma smiled weakly, “ I was just getting to that,” he lifted up a stack of folders, “I have pictures of the demons for all of you,” he handed them to Botan who handed them to each of the young men, “ They include side shots, profiles, every thing we could…” Koenma stopped in mid sentence along with Botan who had just handed a folder to Kurama.
 
The kitsune grabbed the folder, pushed back his chair and he headed toward the door almost methodically. Yusuke looked up as Kurama left the room and grimaced as another slap of energy swept through it. Koenma's face turned a shade redder and somewhat purple and he had a perplexed look on his face. Once the door slammed shut Yusuke unfolded his arms, grabbed a folder from Botan and followed his red haired comrade out of the room.
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
 
“So he was the one Shuichi!” Yoko snarled inside their mind, “ We should have tried harder to make him stay away.”
 
Kurama put a hand on his forehead and leaned up against the hall wall, “ What could we have done to him Yoko, I was thirteen. You might have been all powerful but there was no way you could have taken over this body, you were too weak then.”
 
“Hn, I would have somehow,” he said fiercely, “ And why are you making excuses for us, we were the ones who let him take her away. If we had done more she might not have been tortured for almost four years!”
 
Kurama grimaced inwardly, “ Yes I know, but in reality what could we have done. I was really only a human with abnormal spiritual powers back then, only a little more powerful than Kuwabara was when we first met him.”
 
“We still could have done some thing,” the fox demon said harshly.
“Yes Yoko, we could have,” Kurama sighed and took the folder out of his jacket pocket. He opened it slowly and flipped through the pages, he stopped at a picture of the second demon and his breath caught in his throat.
 
Yoko growled menacingly inside their head, “ Its her, now we know for certain. We've found her.”
 
Kurama's stomach did a flip and a nauseas feeling formed in the pit of his gut. He rubbed a shaky hand through his hair and jumped slightly as Yusuke leaned up against the wall next to him, “ What is it?” Yusuke asked softly, “ You've been acting strange today.”
“It's nothing Yusuke, I'm just feeling a bit tired. I haven't been sleeping very well lately,” Kurama said quietly.
 
“Hm, it seems to be a little more than that. You barely listened to Koenma and then when he says the second demon's name you get like super intense. To tell you the truth you looked like you were refraining from strangling him to get more information on her.”
 
“Maybe I was interested,” he said not looking up at his friend.
 
“I would say more than interested buddy. Did you know her or something?” he asked.
 
Kurama flinched, “ I would prefer not to talk about it.”
 
“Well that's just too bad, cause I'm not going to stop prodding until you tell me,” he waved in exasperation, “ Or at least tell Hiei, so one of us besides you knows what's going on!”
 
Kurama turned away from Yusuke and looked down at his feet, “ I can't right now Yusuke. I need to sort out my thoughts and if I tell you, any of you, it might cause hesitation in our mission, and we can't have that.”
 
Yusuke's eyebrows creased inward, “But right now, as Keiko would say, you need a friend to lean on. Or at least that's what I think she says, but that's not the point. The point is that if you hold some thing in that's troubling you it can hurt.”
 
Kurama looked at Yusuke his eyes wide in surprise, “You sound like Yoda, and it is very uncharacteristic.”
 
Yusuke rubbed the back of his head and chuckled, “ Yah, well all I'm trying to say is that if you need a friend to talk to, we're all here.”
 
Kurama graced Yusuke with a small smile, “Thank you, but right now I need to think.”
 
Yusuke smiled widely and turned around to go back into Koenma's office. Once he shut the door Kurama turned his eyes back to the picture of Suri. It had been taken when she was a little over thirteen and she still looked the same to him. Her blonde hair was a short way past her shoulders and her eyes glistened with happiness. He looked up at a picture on the wall, opposite to the one he was leaning on, it held a moment of a peaceful sunrise over a grassy meadow and he thought of her smile.
He put the picture back into the file and closed his eyes. He lowered himself to the floor and sat down slowly then put his hands on his knees, his right hand loosely clenching the file and closed his eyes.