Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Awakening ❯ Chapter 2: Cause For Concern ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hello again. Here is chapter 2. I finished it last night, and I was so relieved, it was giving me a hard time.
Once again I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho. Enjoy!!
 
 
 
 
Chapter 2:
Cause for Concern
 
 
 
The darkness was almost comforting, now that the pain was gone. She shifted her weight but flinched as her back muscles flexed and the still open wounds all over her body began stinging again. Through gritted teeth she took in a gust of air to relax her muscles and her eyes closed slowly.
 
Gripping the filthy blanket on the ground next to her she slowly lowered herself onto the floor on her side. Her long hair fell over her face and she opened her eyes to look at the door of the room through her thick golden tresses.
 
She knew this room well. Every stone inlaid in the walls and floor, every cobweb and puddle of water. Oh yes, this room she knew almost as well as the back of her hand. Her eyes shifted to the mirror on the floor next to the thin piece of vine used as a whip. She flinched as she thought of the images that had been flashing from the mirror only minutes ago. It was more torture seeing him get hurt than any physical pain could ever be, her mind screamed every time he fell to the ground, every time he got back up and had that burning in his eyes telling his enemy he wanted more.
 
But she never saw what happened in the end, of any of the battles. Never was there any finality to anything that was shone in the mirror, and it forced a nagging doubt in her mind. She never knew if he was alive or if the spark had gone out in his brilliant green eyes. And never would the monster tell her, for he knew that the fear of what might be would kill her more each day than that of torturous beatings.
 
A knot rose to the top of her throat and moisture began forming at the corners of her eyes, but she swallowed the feelings of despair. Crying was out of the question now, now that she had stood her ground, now that she had showed the fiend that her soul was not beaten she could not back down. Her will and her pride would not allow her, she had been beaten before but she would never give up hope again.
 
She closed her eyes again as the huge metal door creaked open and the impending light dispelled the darkness. A shadowed figure stood at the door leaning against the frame.
 
She sat up, her hair cascading down her shoulders, and scowled fiercely, “ What do you want, swine?”
 
The man shifted his weight, “ Now, now is that any way to talk to your father Suri? Such disrespect, you know I might have to punish you.”
 
A snarl passed her lips, “ There is nothing more you can do to me, beast.”
 
The man chuckled, “ Oh I think there is, your friend is coming to try and get you back, and I think I will have you pay him a surprise visit,” he said bringing the strange looking stone from his pocket.
 
The girl's face went white as the stone began to glow, and she shook her head weakly, “ No,” she whispered, as her eyes began to glaze over.
 
The man laughed wickedly as her head lolled back and then came forward again, her pupils dilated and the blue of her eyes all but gone, “ I will always win Suri, you should know that already. Now what about your friend?”
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
Hiei stood at the bow of the ship they were taking to the island, his hands in his pockets, deep in thought. Kurama had been acting very strange, he had been quiet and reserved since Koenma's office and his mood was not changing. He looked back at his friend who was leaning against the structure of the ship reading a book.
 
As his friend began looking up he quickly shifted his gaze to the horizon. The sea spray pelted his face and he breathed in deeply. He felt Kurama's eyes on his back but he did not turn to look at him. He smirked as he felt his friend's discomfort and the kitsune returned to reading.
 
The fire demon's acute hearing picked up the sound of the detective and the moron disagreeing and he knew that it would soon turn into a full-blown argument. He heard Kurama sigh deeply and then put his book down on the bench behind him. Kurama slowly got up and started to move toward the sound of the argument but the two younger teenagers turned the corner before he could take three steps.
 
“ You Idiot!” Yusuke screamed, “ Why in the world would Kurama want us to get beaten?”
 
Kuwabara made a rude gesture with his hand directed at Yusuke, and bobbed his head up and down oddly, “Well he has been acting weird and he won't tell us what he knows. He is hiding something.”
 
“He said he would tell us when he sorted out his thoughts, so you need to give him space!”
 
Kurama grimaced as the yelling penetrated his ears, “Both of you stop,” he said almost too quietly. Both Yusuke and Kuwabara froze and looked at Kurama's face, which was plagued by sorrow and anxiety, he looked at Kuwabara and smiled slightly, “ You are right Kuwabara, I should have told all of you what I knew. I just needed to think about some things first,” he sighed and rubbed a hand through his red locks, “ But I'm ready to tell you all now.”
 
Hiei came up beside his friend, his hands still in his pockets, “ It's about time Fox,” he remarked quietly. Kuwabara nodded dumbly in agreement, but Yusuke looked disturbed by his friend's distress.
 
“ You don't have to tell us Kurama, and don't listen to Kuwabara he is being an idiot,” Yusuke said quietly.
 
Kurama chuckled and smiled again, “ I do have to tell you Yusuke, I don't want to provide the monster that we are facing any advantage over us.”
 
Yusuke nodded quietly and shot Kuwabara a chilling look, which he returned with equal malice. Hiei leaned quietly against the wall of the structure in the middle of the ship as Kurama explained his strange behavior.
 
“You were right Yusuke, earlier when you guess that I knew the second demon,” he sighed again before continuing, “We were child hood friends before she was taken by the demon. I was not able to stop him from taking her then, but I have been looking for her ever since, and now we have found her.”
 
Yusuke looked kindly at his friend as he shifted nervously, but Kuwabara, who was not used to this sudden display of emotion looked wide-eyed at the kitsune. Hiei looked up at his friend and smirked as Kurama began to lose his composure, his voice wavered slightly but he quickly recovered, “I can tell you how she uses her spiritual energy,” he said quietly.
 
Kuwabara looked ecstatic, “Now this is what I'm talking about!” he said, “Teamwork!”
 
Kurama frowned, “ Yes, teamwork,” he said slowly rolling the word slowly off his tongue.
 
Hiei twitched slightly as Kurama's discomfort made it's way under his skin, “Say what ever you have to say, but say it quickly Fox before I'm forced to cease all these childish emotions,” he glared at his friend who merely looked back at him all sentiment now gone from his face.
 
“She is a changeling, a very rare type of demon. She can alter her physical form into any kind of being she so chooses, which makes her very dangerous. That is why the demon took her. She will be a very successful weapon in his crusade of evil.”
 
Yusuke frowned and looked up at the kitsune, “We'll try not to hurt her Kurama, but I don't think any of us can promise any thing.”
 
“That's just it,” the red head sighed, “I want to be the one to fight her if it comes to it. All of you remember that, because you will have to get out of my way.”
 
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
 
The demon watched as the four young men stepped foot on his island and he chuckled softly. He turned his chair to face another screen on the wall, the room was filling with mist, a perfect hiding place for the girl. And then he looked back at the cell where the ice-demon was trying unproductively to escape.
 
Over the speaker he could hear some of the very creative curses directed at him and his island. His mere chuckle turned into a laugh full of malice and cruelty, and he pounded on the desk with his fist in evil joy.
 
“ Come detective,” he said quietly, “Let us see if you can save his friend or if you can stop him from killing her by mistake.”
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
 
Kurama stepped onto the rocky beach of the island immediately feeling her presence. He shivered visibly as he felt her pain and her despair, and he looked out into the murky looking forest separating them from the underground structure.
 
Yusuke looked at Kurama and felt his energy reaching out to find his friend, “Kurama have you found her yet?”
 
The kitsune shivered again and then nodded, “ This way,” he said as he started walking into the forest.
 
Yusuke glanced back at Hiei, who merely followed Kurama, and then back at Kuwabara who looked sad, “ What is it Kuwabara?” the Spirit Detective asked his friend.
 
Kuwabara started walking and peeked up at the red haired kitsune, “ He really did miss her didn't he? I've never seen him this way, have you Urameshi?”
 
Yusuke shook his head, “Nah, its not like him to talk about a girl like this, unless you include his mom.”
 
Hiei looked over his shoulder, “Come now humans!” he yelled harshly, “Or you will be left behind.”
 
Kuwabara shot an ugly look the fire demon's way, “What was that, shrimp? Are you telling the great Kazuma Kuwabara to hurry up? You will regret that!”
 
Yusuke shook his head at the antics of his two friends then looked back at the fox demon. At least some things had stayed the same.
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * *
 
 
So many thoughts were running through Kurama's mind that he could not sort them all out. Images, memories from a not so distant past and the constant nagging from the kitsune spirit in the back of his head. He ran almost blindly toward Suri's energy a red rose in his hand.
 
Shuichi! Stop now, I demand of you!” Yoko yelled inside of his head.
 
“No! I have to get to her Yoko, she is in pain.”
 
And you are going to be no help to her, you crazed fool! Now stop before I take control,” the fox thief hissed.
 
A dark skinned, muscular apparition jumped out of the bushes in front of him and he gracefully jumped over the demon and shot his rose through the fiend's head. The huge bulky creature fell over face first and Kurama kept going.
 
“I have to find her, Yoko! I must, its all my fault,” he thought quietly, and for a moment the elder demon was quiet. But when he spoke his voice was full of contempt.
 
And when did you come to this conclusion, kit. Earlier this afternoon you were telling me that we could not have done anything to help her then.
 
Kurama went silent and continued running, his mind was made up, “I will go through all the demons in my path and leave them for Hiei and the others. I need to get to Suri.”
 
Yoko growled fiercely at him, “So you will leave your friends to whatever fate befalls them to get to the girl, you imprudent boy. Ask yourself now, could you live with yourself if one of them dies because of your rashness. On top of that what would happen if you left these monsters to your friends and you got to the girl but she was already dead. Would you be able to live with yourself knowing that you had sacrificed your friends lives for someone who you could never get back.”
 
Kurama stopped and stood rigid his eyes wide with fear, “She won't be dead, she can't be.”
 
Yoko rolled his eyes inside of their mind and snarled, “Damn it, Shuichi! Get yourself together, running like a fool will get you nowhere, and think this out. You don't know if she's dead or not so consider the possibility that she is before you go rushing in to save her!”
 
Kurama nodded slowly and ran his hand over his face and through his hair. He reached under his red locks and pulled out a rose, and then looked back over his shoulder. Hiei was close behind him followed by Yusuke and Kuwabara. He caught his friends gaze, his eyes full of fatigue and anguish, and the fire demon nodded and smirked. The kitsune graced his friend with a smile and ran off toward Suri's energy.
 
As he ran he felt as if the forest would grab him off the forest floor. He looked up into the dark boughs as he ran, “The forest is as impure as it could be, the monster must have imployed a very powerful demon.”
 
Yoko nodded slowly inside their mind, “ They are in pain, the darkness ate away their children and it is eating them away eachday,” he then looked straight ahead, “It is close, Shuichi,” he said quietly.
 
Kurama nodded and looked further on. In the distance he heard Yusuke's spirit gun and he felt the trees shiver as if in fear. A rustle in the forest further behind him told him that Hiei was close behind. He brought a rose out from his hair and then focused on his main goal. Suri.