Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Love can be Hell ❯ Happy memories? ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Ha... I wish...
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_
Chapter 5: Happy memories?
 
~*Six months later, in Makai*~
“A simple `thanks' would have sufficed ya know?” mumbled Kikyou, her arms crossed on her chest as she followed Hiei away from the cliff he almost fell off if Kikyou hadn't showed up at the proper time. “Hn.” was his usual answer that made Kikyou sigh, “ Is it `cuz you think you have a debt towards me if you say something?” she asked him while staring at the back of his head. She hadn't realized at first, but she was taller than him by at least half a head... and his spiky hair was only a way to cheat. No answer. “Fine... then I'll remind you of all the times you owe me a thank you and if you say only one, I won't hold it against you.” she said smirking, hearing a little sigh coming from Hiei. “First of all, the first time we met...”
 
~Flashback~
“Jaganshi!” Hiei stopped short, recognizing the scent of the demon behind him. Slowly, he turned around, a small frown on his features. Kikyou was standing there, her breathing a bit heavier than it was supposed to be, “What do you want?” he nearly snapped at her. Kikyou glared back, “I'm here to warn you... Every bounty hunter is out to get you.” she said taking a few steps closer to him, “Hn. And?” he slightly raised an eyebrow, crossing his arms on his chest to show he wasn't the least intimidated. “You'll be killed if you don't follow me.” she replied un-fazed by his cold attitude, Hiei merely shrugged in reply “I can handle it.” he said confidently.
 
Kikyou stared with emotionless eyes, “Uh huh... As great as you are at fighting, I'm sure you can't handle more than 500 demons at the same time right?” she asked with a fake pretty too cute smile before she suddenly grabbed his hand and pulled him towards a denser part of the forest. Hiei instantly yanked his hand free but followed her, his frown gone. Although he'd never admit it, she was right. He couldn't possibly defend himself without a proper weapon and he hadn't reached his destination yet, in another words that meant trouble. “Once we reach the little cav-- Shit!” Kikyou dodged a dozen flying daggers.
 
Hiei used his abnormally fast speed to avoid all the sharp blades and waited until they were all stuck in barks or in the ground to look around for Kikyou and the attackers. He slightly sweat dropped when he found that Kikyou was in a heated argument with someone in a language unknown to him but he was pulled out of his thoughts when at least 30 ugly middle class demons attacked him. First dodge, then punch, jump, crack the neck followed by a blur and another body falling. “Hiei!” shouted Kikyou from inside her shadow shield that seemed about to vanish, her eyes were half pleading half expecting. “Hn.” he grunted but briefly nodded and blurred away from the attacking demons.
 
Kikyou was enveloped in shadows and then was gone, her old boss showing up slowly. “That bitch... She'll regret it deeply.” he said through gritted teeth, glancing at the number of corpses. Meanwhile Kikyou appeared in front of Hiei, “They'll come back for you and me.” she said looking around before grabbing Hiei's arm, “We have to go to Ningenkai... I have a place there...” she said as shadows surrounded both of them, Hiei's eyes narrowed slightly.
 
~End of flashback~
“And you never did say thank you.” finished Kikyou before going on, counting on her fingers how many times she had helped him out and how many times he was being ungrateful to her. Hiei sighed again and decided to ditch Kikyou while she was talking to herself. He had tried everything that came to mind to make her leave him alone, but nothing would work, she only got mad for a few minutes when he ditched her. So he blurred away, leaving Kikyou going on and on about his macho attitude and that she wouldn't help him out anymore until he had said thank you.
 
~*Ningenkai, Kurama's school*~
Kurama was at his locker, taking the books he needed for diverse homework assignments and leaving the ones he had no use of. He looked at his watch and hurried towards the gate, hoping to catch Hisa before she had to rush home to avoid the wrath of her parents, especially her dad. Hisa was at the gate, biting her bottom lip while waiting impatiently for her only friend. It had been a while before she actually opened up to Suichi, but he had managed to break the ice day by day. She remembered very well how it all started...
 
~Flashback~
After ditching the nurse's office, she had sought refuge on the roof to think before going home. When the bell rang, she reached a conclusion and stood up, rubbing her right arm absentmindedly. She stood on the edge of the building for five minutes, staring down at the concrete through glassy eyes, most of her life flashing by little bits and pieces of images. Kurama was the last one to leave class again, he found strange that the nurse and principal had asked if Hisa had come back to class. He walked over to the open window and was about to close it when he saw a small shadow on the concrete two floors beneath him.
 
His eyes slightly widened and he dashed out of the classroom, his long red hair seemed to fly behind him as he rushed to the roof access. Hisa closed her dry eyes, she couldn't cry. Even if she was about to die. She couldn't regret anything in her life since she had been, and still was, deprived of everything. Everything except pain. Hisa took a deep breath, barely registering the sound of the door being busted open followed by light footsteps. She leaned forward, feeling gravity slowly pulling her chest down and knew the rest of her body would follow logically. Kurama hurried towards the only hole in the fence that was supposed to prevent anyone from falling off.
 
When Hisa thought the hour of deliverance had come, she felt a strong iron grip on her left arm and snapped her eyes open. Who knew she was up here? Who could possibly prevent her from being happy for the first time in her life? Hisa's eyes widened slightly, `Shuichi?' she thought incredulous, “Let go.” she begged in a whisper, turning her eyes away from his. “I won't.” he said in between short breaths, one hand holding onto the fence so he wouldn't fall over. Hisa tried to yank her arm free of his grasp and in the process, she knocked herself onto her knees with one leg hanging over the edge. “... Let go... It will be over soon.” she asked again a little louder.
 
“I cannot.” replied Kurama, his hand on the fence turning white because the blood wasn't circulating enough. Hisa looked away, her arm starting to throb painfully where he was holding her so tightly, “You don't understand... I have no friends, no life, no love. I have a heart made of stone.” Hisa started to break down slowly, letting her body relax which allowed Kurama to quickly let go of the fence to grab Hisa's arm with two hands and pull her back on the roof. Kurama looked down at the figure sobbing silently beneath him and his eyes softened, “Then someone needs to teach you how to be a friend and to love.” he said softly gently lifting her up on her feet.
 
Hisa followed him blindly back through the hole in the fence and stopped when he stopped, a few tears racing down her cheeks to see which one would fall on the ground first. Kurama had stopped at the corner before the door and slowly pulled Hisa in a comforting hug, “Your parents have no right to inflict such pain on you.” he said softly, hearing the small gasp of shock and terror escape Hisa's throat. Hisa had been surprised at the hug, it was probably her first one and she didn't really know what to do... except, relax in that warmness. Slowly and carefully, her arms wrapped around Kurama's back and she hugged him tightly, her sobs shaking her frail body.
 
Kurama smiled a little and sat down on the concrete, Hisa sitting next to him still in his arms and letting go of everything she had been hiding since it all started. Kurama just rubbed her back gently, providing more comfort than he thought he possibly could. After a while, Hisa's sobs died down and eventually stopped, at which point she realized she had been burying her head in Kurama's chest and blushed a deep crimson color before drying her wet face. “... How did you know... about-- about my parents?” she asked after a moment of silence. Kurama turned to look at Hisa, “I smelled alcohol once and... you ditched the nurse.” he chuckled.
 
Hisa smiled sheepishly then lost her smile again, “... They can't find out... It'll only make it worse...” she stared at her feet stretched out in front of her. “Can't the social service help out?” asked Kurama in a soft voice, looking at a specific spot on Hisa's leg, “No... my parents will move if they're contacted...” she replied softly pushing her skirt as far as it could go on her leg. “... Can I see?” asked Kurama motioning to what she was trying to hide, and without waiting for an affirmative answer, he pushed the skirt over the big bruise on Hisa's thigh.
 
Her first reaction wasn't embarrassment that a guy was actually touching her thigh, but she really wanted to hide the fact she was beaten by her parents. Hisa tried to push his hand away while standing up but Kurama grabbed her waist, “I won't tell anyone.” he said smiling encouragingly then looked at the bruise again. This time, Hisa did realize a guy, cute mind you, was touching... her... thigh. The part the skirt was supposed to cover. Her considerable pale face instantly turned a bright red, maybe brighter than Kurama's hair and she looked like a volcano ready to explode.
 
~End of flashback~
Hisa noticed Kurama was rushing to get to her and she smiled, he had kept his promise. He had shown her what friends do and ever since, she had been able to endure her parents' wrath without sulking for days or weeks. “Sorry I'm late...” apologized Kurama breathing faster than usual, “It's ok...” she smiled at him, even though he was her only friend, her shyness was natural and she always kept her voice quiet. “Can I walk you home today?”asked Kurama starting to walk out of the school grounds, Hisa shook her head slowly, “No... if my dad saw you...” was all she needed to say and he understood.
 
“Then I'll see you tomorrow.” he slightly bowed his head and headed left, probably going to meet his other friends. It was strange to think he had missed so much school since he started to frequent that strange boy with gelled hair and his friend with bright orange hair. “Alright...” she smiled at him and walked to the right, thinking how many times she took the homework for him, it made her feel somewhat important. One day he looked a bit paler than usual but he said he was sick, what could she say? After missing school it's only normal to still be a bit sick when you come back. Hisa sighed and arrived home, hearing her dad yell at her mum once more.
 
~*Makai*~
“Are you even listening to me?” asked Kikyou finally realizing the silence was too profound to be natural and she turned around to see no one. “Grr... he ditched me again!” she growled lowly and teleported back to Ningenkai, `That hot headed jerk!' she thought clenching her fists. `He's dead when I find him!' Now of course Kikyou would never kill Hiei, she had grown much too fond of him to even blow on his spiky hair to make it go sideways. Well... maybe not, she loved teasing him until he almost lashed out at her with his new shiny katana. She sighed and walked gloomily back to her secret place in human world.
 
`Ever since he started seeing these people... he's not the same anymore...' she thought a bit jealous he was spending more time with his new friends than her. “But... I guess I can't expect more from him.” she slightly pouted but held her head high. Kikyou smiled to herself, `Maybe his new friends are changing him into a better person...' she recalled that one time... “Whatever... It's not like he needs me...” she sighed softly.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_
Oh yes, can anyone tell me if ff.net is really forbidding authors to answer reviews because I checked the rules and didn't see anything. So if you read it on the site somewhere please let me know!
 
And sorry about... the long... long, long delay... I kinda had writer's block... then school started... and I drowned at least 15 times in that first week... We all know homework is evil but it's even worse when you have to write essays all the time and take history notes every night and read a lot for stupid AP English class... So please forgive me! ;_; I hope this chapter made up for it though...
 
Payne N. Uranus: Haha ok maybe I'll remember when I need a name for a bad guy! ;) Actually... I think I know just the guy... *evil smirk* Lol I must say I got the sarcastic point when I read the story being horrible and all... I guess that's why you write such long reviews. I had to read Romeo and Juliet too... but wait until MacBeth... -_- Joy does it get better...
 
KrysTheBloody: Heh... I can't really read your review now but... I forgot what you said... @.@ Anyway... I hope you like it a lot since it involves you too! ^_~
 
icy pheonix: :D Short and straight to the point review... lol thanks! =)
 
Athenera: =) Thanks for the review! I must admit... Hisa and Kurama are going to be paired up. Hehe talk about insight. ;)
 
Shina Yoko Tsuki: Lol! Your reviews made me laugh... Hehehe well... I do hope you enjoyed reading though. ;)
 
stix: Yay for updates? :P Sorry for the delay.. >.> But... yeah... Hope you liked this chapter!