Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Tarnished Past ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A.N. I own nothing expect for Mayako, Nakamura, Michiyo, and Kawazoe…so don't sue me!
Chapter 3
New Home, Old Fears
Mayako woke up slowly and looked around, taking in the sudden change. /God, what happened? My head is killing me…God everything hurts. What happened to me? Why I'm I here in this room? I'm I supposed to be here? Did Takumi send me away again...Maybe I died, and this is heaven./ Mayako thought and then sighed and ran a hand through her hair and winced when she brushed past a bandage. / That rules out heaven then, so where am I? And why do I care/ Mayako sat up and looked around and smiled a bit, immediately loving where she was. The walls were light silver with a dark blue border. The window was large and covered in a heavy black drape, completely blocking out the scenery. Mayako stood up and then had to sit back down as a wave of dizziness overcame her. “God Damnit! This sucks, I can't even stand up by myself…Takumi must of beaten me pretty badly, I wonder what his problem was anyway?” Mayako muttered but then forced herself to stand up, looking down she noticed that she was now in a pure white Kimono with a rose embroidered in the back. Mayako ran her hand over the cloth in awe, and then twirled around, forgetting about her bruised ribs, until the pain shot through her body. Wincing she stopped and gingerly walked to the door and opened it, and to her surprise she found it unlocked. /Should I go out? I mean this isn't even my house, suppose someone gets mad…Oh well I can't hide here forever. / Mayako thought to herself and then walked into the hallway and gently closed the door behind her. Walking down the hallway she was amazed to see the jewels that were every where, she walked to the front door and opened it, and then stepped outside. Walking outside she looked around and instantly fell in love with her surroundings, a dense forest surrounded the mansion, and the bright blue sky was undisturbed. “Wow, this must be a dream…there is no place like this left where I am.”
“This place is real enough.” A woman, who seemed to be in her early twenties said, appearing next to her. Mayako turned in shock, and simply looked at the woman. She was tall, nearly six feet, with long black hair and golden eyes; she couldn't hide her true race because of her stature and the way she held herself. She glared down at Mayako and then turned to walk away, no longer interested in the woman that clearly had no special trait that would allow her to befriend her. Mayako watched the woman leave but didn't feel hurt at her callus exit; instead she was thankful that she could be left alone to figure out where she was.
The woman continued to walk away, not understanding why Yoko would bring a human to his home where only demons dwelled. “Hey Michiyo, where are you going?” A new voice rang out and Michiyo turned around and smiled at the young woman who was running towards her. The girl was Mayakos age and had short silver hair cropped to fit her face and dark blue eyes that always seemed to dance with amusement, with silver cat ears that stood erect. Her silver tail swished with excitement, Michiyo had to remind herself that Kawazoe was eighteen and not ten like she sometimes acted. “Did you see Yoko's new apprentice? Was she pretty? Is it true that she is only a human? Why do you seem so annoyed? You're a wolf demon; you know patience is my middle name and all that…”
Michiyo gritted her teeth and tried to count to ten. “Kawazoe…I know that you're a cat demon and that you're curious…but please only one question at a time, my brain is over run with your questions.” Michiyo said trying to sound motherly, something that would drive Kawazoe away. Kawazoe glared and left, muttering about how insufferable wolf demons could be. Michiyo sighed in relief and walked into the mansion, only to be confronted by Yoko.
Yoko sarcastically bowed to Michiyo, but then continued to look around at his treasures, mentally assessing each ones individual worth. “What is the problem Michiyo? No rude comments about how I run my home?” Yoko asked but then grinned up at Michiyo, “Or maybe you've suddenly woken up and realized that I'm ten times better then your Kourone, and have decided to come to me?” Yoko teased and Mayako smiled, for it was an old joke between friends.
“Never In ten lifetimes would I choose you. Actually I came to inquire about Mayako…Why is she here? I understand that you rescued her, but to bring her here of all places, when you could of brought her to Kurama and in so doing keep her in the human realm where she belongs.” Michiyo asked and Yoko stood up, mentally asking himself the same question.
“I could have…and probably should have, but somehow I couldn't. Her life here will be hard, and many will try to force her to leave. Yet somehow this life will have to be easier then the one she was being forced to live. If I were to send her to Kurama, he wouldn't want to deal with her…he's trying to have a normal life with Botan, running a store and having a normal demon free life. He wouldn't want Mayako there.” Yoko explained, remembering how he and the one he used to be part of went their separate ways.
Michiyo looked at Yoko searchingly; curious to know what had finally driven the fox from his human counterpart, but then shrugged…after all it was none of her concern. “So she stays…you know Yoko there is something different about her, something unique.” She muttered to him and he nodded his agreement trying to figure out what the wolf demon was driving at.
“That woman is no human, I've found that out the moment she called to me, but if she is a demon what race is she from and how did she come to be with the humans?” he growled in frustration. “Did you know that I had my life all figured out before I saved Mayako?” Yoko asked and Michiyo dutifully shook her head no. “I did, I planned on stealing to my hearts content, sleeping with numerous women…”
“And men” Michiyo broke in, and Yoko glared at her, causing Michiyo to start laughing. “Let it go Yoko, you did sleep with a couple of guys in your time.”
Yoko shrugged, “What can I say? When I get drunk…I'll sleep with anyone, male or female, just not you Michiyo.” Yoko said but then finished his train of thought. “After all I have no interest in he/shes.”
Michiyo glared, but then decided to play along, growling deep in her throat she pressed against Yoko, and playfully licked the side of his neck, before leaning up to whisper in his ear, “That's okay Yoko, I've seen what you have to offer a woman and you are seriously overcompensating for something…if you know what I mean.”
Yoko grinned and bowed. “Always a pleasure to trade barbs with a `woman' as beautiful as you…see you later Michiyo, I have to go see my new student.” Yoko grinned, and walked away allowing Michiyo to gain one victory. Michiyo grinned and waved after Yoko, but all the while thinking that Mayako would be a thief the day that Yoko stayed with one woman. Michiyo grinned to herself and went to her room to prepare for her newest mission…one day at a spa, `checking out' the newest target.
Mayako was in a large oak tree, looking out over the place where she was brought to and loving it. “Its strange,” she thought out loud, “I've only been here a day and already I feel more at home here then I do at my house.” Mayako grinned and looked around before leaping to the ground. “That was fun…” Mayako muttered and looked up the tree and sighed when she saw how high she was a few seconds before, “Maybe the jump from the bridge wouldn't have killed me.” She mused but shook the thought off as she heard someone approaching. Quickly she leapt back into the tree and clung to the rough bark, waiting to see who was coming.
Kawazoe walked under the tree and whistled a small tune before jumping into the tree next to Mayako. “Hi! I'm Kawazoe! You must be Yoko's new student…everyone's talking about you. So why are you here anyway?” Kawazoe asked curiously, and saw Mayako tense trying to figure out what the woman wanted.
“Do you always ask so many questions?” Mayako asked, but she wasn't trying to be unfriendly, merely cautious. She slowly relaxed her black hair flying around her face even though there was no wind.
Kawazoe was surprised at Mayakos answer but chose to ignore it, reassuringly she placed a hand on Mayakos arm and to her amazement she didn't pull away. “You'll like it here…none of us fit in, so really we all fit in.” Kawazoe explained and Mayako nodded, and her unease faded.
“Where is this place? There is no place like this in Japan…I would of found it.” Mayako whispered and Kawazoe smiled a bit, but chose not to answer instead she decided to ask one question she couldn't get out of her head.
“How in the world did you survive the jump out of the tree? You were at least eighty feet off of the ground and you landed on your feet, and weren't hurt.” Kawazoe said, somewhat in awe. “And then you jumped back up here when you heard me coming…your not human.”
Mayako pulled back, her unease flooded back to her. “Of course I'm human, and I didn't jump down from this height you must of imagined it. I'm sorry but you'll have to excuse me…I have to find out why I'm here in the first place.” She murmured and jumped down from her perch, but caught herself before she hit the ground. Walking away she mentally chided herself for her foolish behavior. /Smart Mayako, let someone you don't know see your freaky powers…no wonder Takumi hates you, you a damn freak/ Mayako thought as she suddenly had the urge to fly, she shook her head, driving the thoughts away. /You've had these thoughts of flight your whole life…your human, you can't fly/
Yoko grinned to himself as he withdrew from Mayakos thoughts and walked behind her, trying to judge how sharp her hearing was. /She'll never be a thief if she doesn't have good hearing, this is her test. IF she doesn't pass this then I have to let her go to Kuramas house and hope for the best. /
Mayako heard someone approaching her and walked faster before breaking out in a run. Not knowing where she was going she instinctively sought out the river and ran along its banks, before she leapt into it and swam to the opposite banks, and then continued running, but no longer heard anyone following her, until she knocked over Yoko who had appeared in her path. Somewhat in a daze she sat up slowly, and then gasped when she saw Yoko looking down at her. Okay…is this the man Kawazoe was talking about? If he is, what is with his ears/
“Are you alright Mayako? I didn't mean to scare you, just test your hearing.” Yoko explained and offered his hand, which Mayako ignored, as she stood up on her own. Yoko smiled inwardly, already appraising his newest student and finding her to his liking. Yoko motioned with a flick of his wrist that Mayako should follow him, as he turned and walked away, hearing her follow. “This is the Makai; the life here will be different from the life you are used to living, but in some ways I think that you will be better off here.” Yoko began and looked over his shoulder, seeing Mayako looking at him with no emotion showing on her face. “You were brought here because I believed that you would be an asset to my band of thieves, as soon as you've been taught of course.” Yoko continued as he stepped over a rotten log, and heard Mayako as she awkwardly followed him without question. “Don't you ever talk? I mean to males? I heard you talk with Kawazoe.”
Mayako looked at him, feeling at loss for words. “I never really had too, I mean I've gone to school with guys, and Takumi was a guy…but I avoided all of them.” She tried to explain but couldn't figure out the right words to explain why she had avoided them. Mayako sighed irritably separated at her own lack of words, “I'm making no sense now, but I can't explain.”
Yoko nodded, not understanding. “That's alright, but for now maybe you should stay with Michiyo and Kawazoe…they seemed to have taken a liking to you, or Kawazoe did.” Yoko said and Mayako nodded, but had no intention of `staying' with anybody. Suddenly Yoko looked up, his eyes narrowed seriously and his whole body poised as if waiting for something to come out. Mayako tensed too, hearing a sound that should have been too low for her human ears, she clenched her fists and stood beside Yoko, ready to fight or if need be run. “Mayako,” Yoko muttered softly, and saw her turn her head slightly towards him, but did not take her eyes from the forest around her. “Take this,” Yoko commanded and handed her an ivory handled dagger with a silver blade. “Do not be afraid to use it.”
Mayako nodded briefly, as she took the dagger into her hand and waited. The noise got louder and the ground began to shake, before Mayako realized what was happening. “Kurama-dono, it's an earthquake! We have to get to a clear area away from these trees!” Mayako commanded and grabbed Yoko's hand, “where is the nearest clearing?”
Yoko pulled her behind him as he took off running, “Mayako this isn't a normal earthquake…something is moving underneath the earth and its heading right for us.” Yoko called back as the ground shook harder and trees started to uproot and fall over with loud thud. Mayako wished now more then ever that she could fly and take herself away from the noise, as the wind began to pick up and debris started to fly around them, Mayako knew something was terribly wrong…the storm seemed like it was both a hurricane, which was unreasonable because there was no ocean anywhere near them, and a earthquake, moving towards them and lasted much longer then the common few seconds.
“Kurama-dono, what is going on?” Mayako yelled trying to make herself heard over the wind. Yoko didn't stop running until they reached the clearing and pulled Mayako behind him, trying to protect her. Mayakos dark blue eyes darkened to black with anger as she stepped next to him. “If I'm to be your apprentice then you can't protect me…we fight together Kurama-dono.”
Yoko didn't look at her, he sensed her anger and knew that he couldn't treat her like he treated other women, simply because, she wouldn't allow it. “It's a kaze-tsuchi- akuma… a strong one, and I'm guessing he's not happy.” Yoko muttered, and cursed softly knowing what the demon wanted, and what he did to deserve his anger.
Unexpectedly the ground in front of Yoko split open and a tall man leapt out and drew his sword. He was six feet tall with short black hair that flowed around his face; his eyes were blood red and reflected a cold demeanor. His stance was battle ready as his clawed hands gripped his long sword, in a manner that told of his experience in battle, but his best feature were his black wings that burst from his back and hung neatly behind him, nearly covered by his black velvet cape that covered his black shirt and black pants; the wind seemed not to affect him as his hair did not move in the wind. “Yoko Kurama, my name is Taiki and I have finally found you, now I find the opportunity to gain revenge for the murder of my wife.” Taiki stated formally, his gaze locked on Yoko was hate filled, and he seemed not to realize Mayako until she gasped, then he turned to look at her. His eyes brightened with an unknown emotion as he bowed low his cape sweeping behind him. “Lady, I did not see you standing there, I apologize. If you would just take your leave I will dispose of this wretched creature, and leave this horrid place.”
Mayako turned to Yoko her face pale and her blue eyes hidden behind her bangs. “Kurama-dono?” Mayako whispered, and saw Yoko walk from her and towards Taiki. Yokos posture was erect and his gaze hard as ice as he looked at Taiki, never one to back down from a fight. Shaking her head she looked at Taiki, “are you sure that you have the right person?”
Taiki looked at Mayako, wanting to kill Yoko but his honor would not allow him to kill a man in front of a woman. “I'm sure Lady, and since you will not leave the kitsunes side then I will take my leave…for now, for I believe that I have found something that would hurt Yoko more then killing him, but I must wait and see. I will be back soon Lady, if all goes well for you.” Taiki said and bowed regally before removing the cape and spreading his wings, taking flight into the air.
Mayako felt confused, she looked at Yoko who was looking at Taiki with guarded eyes. She knew she shouldn't ask for details about his relationship with Taiki, so instead she looked down at her hand which still held the dagger. /So Taiki is the enemy? But if he is the enemy, why is he so regal and acts with so much honor? Something so unheard of in these times…Did Kurama-dono really kill Taikis wife? And if he did who is my real enemy, Taiki or Yoko Kurama/
“Mayako, are you ready to leave?” Yoko asked without turning around, his thoughts too complex at the moment to read Mayakos thoughts. “I have a feeling that Taiki is to be the strongest enemy that we have to face, but he is the most honorable. Unfortunately I have many enemies and Taiki is the one I cannot be concerned with now,” Yoko said his explanation brief, and to the point. Mayako sighed, and pushed away her thoughts, ready to trust Yoko. “one more thing Mayako, do not call me Kurama-dono. If you MUST call me something other then my name then use Sensei.”
“Yes Sensei, I understand.” Mayako said and followed Yoko away from the clearing, as she slipped the dagger into her boot.
/So this is the one that the black-market is talking about? That mere woman, shes quite cute, but so are countless other woman. Just by looking at her you couldn't tell that she was anything special, but when she inherits her powers…I'll be here to pick her up and sell her to the highest bidder. After all I'm the enemy that they should be concerned with, not Taiki. / A cloaked figured thought to itself as it clenched his fists tightly to its sides, but let out a small bark of laughter. /Taiki? That arrogant, honor bound demon from the age of chivalry? He will never harm Yoko as long as Mayako is around him…but that will change, soon that woman will be gone and my plan will continue uninterrupted, as was agreed upon. After all what is the old saying? Oh yes… `Hold your friends close, but your enemies closer' I wonder will this deception of mine be revealed early? Or will I finally be able to kill the great Yoko Kurama/ The figured shrugged and turned and walked away, its gait light leaving no trail.