Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ To Come Back ❯ Memories ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The two decided to keep their relationship a secret, just until they find the right time to tell their friends. For now, they would act as if they were friends that were reunited after so long, not long lost lovers. They went off to their own businesses after their reunion, not expecting their team's curiosity.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

When Kurama got back to the hotel, he found the rest of the team sitting in the couches and talking urgently. Hiei looked up at him as Kurama came in, in ningen form, and said "So. The fox returns."

Kurama simply accepted the insulting nickname and said "Yes. After a bit of training."

"Why disappear without a word, Kurama?" Yusuke asked.

It didn't take long for Kurama to make an excuse. He said "I just wanted to train in private. That's all."

Yusuke's left eyebrow shot up as he said "I see."

Kurama managed to fake a yawn and asked if he could go to his room.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kei returned to her team's rooms and found everybody sitting on the couches. Touya stood up as she entered and said "Where have you been? We've been worried." with concern in his eyes.

Kei replied "I was training for a while. Since I'm just a substitute, I don't have to fight every day. So I thought that I should train until it is my time to replace someone."

Rishou looked out the window and said "Fine."

Kei closed her eyes for a moment and said "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to my room to rest."

~*~*~*~*~*~*

When Kei was in her room, Touya knocked on her door and asked to come in. Kei sat up on her bed and said "Yeah. You can come in."

Using her black magic, Kei forced the door open, allowing Jin and Touya access. Jin walked in and looked at her with a puzzled look. Kei noticed this and said "What's wrong, Jin?"

"How'd the door open? Touya didn't even touch the knob and the door opened without you having to stand up."

Kei looked up to him and smiled as she said "We've known each other for 9 years and you still haven't found out that I can perform black magic to make inanimate objects move at my will. Honestly Jin, you are just too funny to notice."

Touya and Kei laughed as Jin stared at her, realizing whose fault it was when his clothes began to float in front of his closet a few years ago. And his face grew even paler when he remembered a time when his plate of eggs levitated in front his face. Touya and Kei were snickering at the other side of the table, Kei's left hand under the table as the leant against each other for support. Jin came back from the memories, seeing Kei and Touya laughing just as they were when his eggs began to fly, and said "So it was you two!"

"A bit of a delayed reaction there, Jin. But we're sorry. We were just having a little fun." Kei said after finally ceasing her laughter.

Kei felt better, that's her feeling whenever she's around Touya and Jin. "I owe them a lot." she thought as she and Touya continued to lean on each other, Touya chuckling as his memories revealed many happy moments.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

That night, Kei went to sleep, wandering through her memories and seeing how her life was like before she arrived at Hanging Neck Isle. Most of the memories were of Touya and Jin but the memories that captured her most were the memories of her and Youko. She had stolen on Youko's side only once, and yet that plan failed, because of her nonexistent attention to her surroundings. But now times have changed. Through her training with Team Mashoutoukai, she has improved in the areas of speed, control, defense, offense, carefulness, and honorable fighting. She fell asleep after her thoughts rang out and told her "I'm going to make Youko proud, even if I am denying that he is Kurama."

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kurama closed the door of his room behind him and sighed. His room had one bed, a desk, a bedside table, a closet, and a speaker box over the door, which announced when matches started. He walked towards his bed, but before he sat down, he took the rose out of his pocket, a precaution so it wouldn't be crushed. He stared at it as his mind flashed visions of the past across his memory's eyes. He closed his eyes and said "Kei."

Five seconds after the sentence ended, Hiei opened the door, without warning and unnoticed, and walked inside. He leaned on the wall near the desk and said "So. The fox has a thing for the thief girl named Kei."

Kurama pulled himself from his trance and glared at Hiei for the first time ever. Hiei was taken aback by his friend's unfamiliar behavior. Kurama realized that he had no reason to be mad at Hiei and said "My business with the people from my past life does not concern you, Hiei. I would very much appreciate it if you would stay out of this."

"Hn." was all Hiei could say with a shrug.

The fire apparition left the room, leaving Kurama to return to his memories. One particular memory made him smile behind his mask of worry and angst.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Flashback.
Youko and Kuronue had just come back to the hide out from scouting at Hashime Castle. They had to be familiar to the area and the terrain or else the guards would have the home field advantage. Kei was in one of the fields training, attacking several dead trees she had found in the forest, each of them were about 3 to 4 inches thick. She saved her fire attacks for later, afraid that they would burn out her only practice targets. Youko leaned on the wall and watched as she reached for one of her throwing daggers. With one fluid motion of her arm, the dagger flew with such speed that it had pierced the middle of the tree in less than a fraction of a second. Youko walked over to the tree, looked at the opposite side of the area where the dagger first touched, and found that a fifteenth of the dagger was sticking out from behind the dead plant. He turned back to Kei and stared at her. She smirked and said "This is just a shot in the dark but I'm guessing that exactly one fifteenth of my dagger is sticking out of that tree."

Youko nodded, still staring at her. Then he realized that she can control the daggers position after it is thrown by controlling her strength and the ricochet speed of the dagger. That was how good her concentration was, to Youko's surprise.

She closed her eyes, sighed, and sat near a tree, leaning her back on the trunk. Youko walked towards her and sat down beside her, his hand near the stem of a rose that was at the verge of blooming. Youko smiled and carefully cut the stem. He lifted the rose to his nose and smelled it. Kei was busy trying to meditate when he placed his hand on her shoulder and said "Kei."

She opened her eyes and responded with "Hm? What is it, Youko?"

"Come on. Smell this rose. It's near blooming and that's when the flowers around here smell best."

Reluctantly, she took the rose in her hand, gently, and held it up to her nose. She smelled the wonderful scent of the elegant flower and smiled. Youko smiled, finally seeing her relaxing smile. He sat back and rested his eyes for a while, not expecting what was about to come. Kei began to think about how she was always training and never taking enough time to enjoy life and to smell the wonderful flowers. She felt that she had to thank him in some way for helping her realize that there is more to life than winning and fighting for your life. She closed her eyes, deep in thought, and smiled to herself. She took one last smell of the flower and turned to look at Youko. His eyes were closed, he was deep in concentration. She tucked the rose behind his ear and kissed him on the cheek. Youko's eyes snapped open and he turned to her side to find her face just inches from his. She put her mouth near his ear and whispered "Thank you."

He was about to respond but before he could, she stood up and walked back towards the hide out. He removed the rose from behind his ear and held it in his hands. He merely smiled as he thought "I'm never going to understand that girl, am I?"

He himself stood up and walked towards the hide out, rose in hand.

End Flashback.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Another memory made him laugh out loud, but not loud enough to awaken the now sleeping Team Urameshi. He quickly got ready for bed and slid under the blanket. The funny memory replayed in his mind as he fell into a deep sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Flachback.

Youko was walking down the hall and thinking about the plan that would be carried out soon. He wanted to see Kei in action, while she was on his side and not against him. He didn't notice the girl that he was thinking about peak a glimpse of him from the corner he was about to turn. Kei silently got ready to pounce. When he was about to step around the corner, Kei jumped on him, making him fall with her on top. They landed with an "Oof!" from Youko and a "Gotcha!" from Kei.

Kei looked down at him with a sly smile and Youko looked up at her with a confused look in his eyes. He propped himself up with his elbows and said "Why'd you do that, Kei?"

She smiled and said "You're so serious. I just wanted to see your reaction to my pounce."

"Why you?!"

Kei ran for her life and fled outside. Youko sped up to catch up to her and came up to her side. He jumped at her from the side, causing them both to roll down the hill together. When they stopped, Kei was on top of Youko and his hair had some grass entangled with his long, silver tresses. Youko was laughing for the first time in a long while. Kei put her head on his chest, laughing slightly. When Youko's laughs ended, he said "Let's rest for a while."

Kei held her head up again and said with a sly smile "It's not over yet."

Youko looked at her puzzled and was a bit dazed when she kissed him on his nose. She fled and said "You can't catch me!"

Youko stood back up and called out "Why you little!"