Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Unpaid Vengeance ❯ Losing Memories ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Unpaid Vengeance

Part of the Relations series

Hiei: Didn't you promise you would be updating often again?

Me: Yes, but my English teacher decided that I should have to be weighted down with a research paper, so I have to do that first.

Hiei: Oh.

Me: Right, `Oh.' Just read the envelope so we can get on with it.

Hiei: Okay. (opens envelope) Last chapter, we finally got to the Ningenkai to get Kiru healed after a not breathing scare. Yusuke and Kuwabara locked the bastard Ryudo in the torture cell of Mukuro's castle and came to the Ningenkai. Kiru awakened a little while after being healed and it was revealed that the bind had already taken effect and her memory was being sucked away. I left to meet up with the others so we could kill the dragon.

Me: Okay, here you go. Standard disclaimers apply.

--

Hiei smiled as he dragged the heated dagger across Ryudo's chest. He hated knowing that this same technique had been used on his koi, but he had to admit it was a good method of dragging information out of almost anyone.

`Are you going to answer now, or do I have to reheat the blade?' Hiei asked, producing a black flame to back his threat.

Ryudo cried out, `Okay! I'll tell you, but only if you let me live!!'

`Hn,' Hiei said, `Do you really think you are in a position to offer me deals?'

`Yes,' he cockily replied, `without me, you can't save your little slut.'

Hiei growled and shoved the blade through his arm. `Watch your mouth.'

Ryudo muffled his screams as he fought to stay conscious. He took a moment and considered his options. Maybe if he played the cooperative victim… `If I agree to tell you, will you at least give me a quick death?'

`Hn…' Hiei considered that for a moment, `I suppose.'

`All right,' Ryudo sighed unsteadily, `The dragon I got this from is an ice dragon, on Theta Island.'

`What class is it?' Hiei snapped, `Describe its ki signiture.'

Ryudo described the cool blast of feeling accompanied by the signature then told Hiei its class level, `It's a Quest class, so you'll have quite a hard time.'

Hiei smiled his sadistic smile, `Really now? Considering I *am* the Dragon of the Darkness Flame, I think I'll be just fine…' He pulled the dagger from Ryudo's arm, and, considerate demon that he was, fulfilled Ryudo's request. `You want a quick death?'

Ryudo paled and stuttered his kidding at that comment, `No wait!'

`You'll get it when I get back.' He slammed the dagger back into his arm with a vicious twist. `Until then, you'll have to enjoy this.'

Hiei walked out of the chamber, heading for the nearby gate to retrieve the rest of his team for the journey.

--

It was Kuwabara's turn to sit in on the sleeping Kiru. He was reading a book called Chicken Soup for the Man's Soul, and had been for the past three hours. He turned to page two.

`Wow, this is deep!'

He was so engrossed in the book, (surprising, ne?) that he didn't notice Kiru stirring slightly inside her futon.

Her sleepy crimson eyes peeked out from under the covers, still confused because her energy was going to finishing what healing Yukina couldn't complete, and her senses weren't quite that sharp. She surveyed her surroundings, ever cautious from her experience in the Makai.

Hn…Everything seems okay…But where the hell am I?

She sniffed the air, and recoiled. What the hell is that smell?

She quickly looked around, her eyes lighting on a smelly, baka ningen!

She jumped out of her futon to the farthest corner away from the ningen. She bared her fangs and hissed at the ningen, turning to her demon form. Blue tiger stripes marked her cheeks and her fangs and nails lengthened and sharpened.

`Ahhh!!!' Kuwabara yelled, his book flying out of his hands and hitting Kiru in the arm. She hissed again and surrounded herself with fire, advancing slightly with hackles raised.

Yusuke and Kurama ran in at Kuwabara's screech.

`What the hell is going on in here?' Yusuke asked, baking away slightly.

Kiru sensed them, Another ningen?! And a kitsune! K'so!!! She hissed again, flaring her ki with a slight wince. Damn…I can't keep this up for much longer…

`She doesn't have the ki to be using like that!' Kurama said as he backed away along with Yusuke.

`That still doesn't answer my question!' Yusuke barked as he erected a ki barrier against the encroaching flames.

`She must have forgotten who we are,' Kurama explained, `Demons don't trust strangers, remember? Especially when they don't know where they are!'

Kiru hissed again, sending a flare of fire towards them. She was panting from exertion by now.

`Shit,' Yusuke said as they were backed into a corner, `We're trapped!'

Kurama looked worried, `What do we do now?'

`What can we do?' Yusuke asked, `If we hurt her, Hiei will kill us, and if we don't, she'll kill us.

Kiru smiled slightly as she realized she was winning, `Prepare to die, ningens!'

But just as the boys braced themselves for her attack, Hiei jumped into the room via the window. `Kiru!'

Her ki immediately lowered, `Hiei?' She was distracted for only a moment, `Help me kill these ningens!'

`No, they're friends! Really!' Hiei calmly explained to her what had happened and who everyone was.

`…And you destroyed the bind, and have sapped back to here.' Hiei breathed a sigh of relief. He had been imagining the worst ever since he felt her ki flare on his way back to the temple.

Kiru sobered, turning back to human form and apologized immediately, `Gomen nasai Kurama-san, Yusuke-san.'

`What about me?' Kuwabara wined from around the corner, still too scared to approach her.

`Hn.' Apparently, she doesn't feel him worthy of speaking to. She sat for a moment to collect herself. It wasn't exactly easy to confront several months of forgotten memories all at once.

Hiei had much more in mind though. `Kiru,' Hiei asked, `I know you don't want to talk about it, but would you please tell me when you were affected by the bind? I know where the dragon is, but I want to know how much time I have.'

The question caused her to stiffen up. After a few moments of thought, Kiru turned her head, a tear trailing down her face. `Kurama-san, Yusuke-san, could you please leave?'

`Hai,' they said, getting up and leaving the room, dragging a very scared Kuwabara behind them.

`Kiru?' Hiei asked gently, watching as she walked towards the window.

She turned to look at him, tears falling down her cheeks. `Hiei…'

Hiei walked over to her and gathered her close into an embrace. She sobbed gently, silently communicating to him via the Jagan.

I'm sorry, I can't! I just can't do it…I-I…

Shhh…I understand, Ru-chan…Want me to just look?

H-hai…

Hiei braced himself to face the brunt of her torture, and opened the door to her mind.

--

Me: That's all!

Hiei: Review and tune in for more soon.

Me: I hope!