Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ The Chosen ❯ Chapter One: Secrets of the Past ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Chosen

Chapter One: Secrets of the Past

Author: Kameko-chan

Warnings: Yaoi

Parings: Kai/Ray and Tala/OC

Notes: Ooo, I'm having fun with this! The whole 'Chosen Ten' thing will (probably) be explained in the next chapter, this one will be more focussed on defining Elaina's character and getting the rest of the background info dealt with. And the thought-shapes will be explained in the next chapter as well.

___________________________

A million responses sprung to mind... start questioning her, make fun of her, ask her why the hell she decided to find him after six years... any number of very Kai-ish options were available. But all that Kai could do was throw his arms around Elaina and hug her tightly, as though he was afraid that she would disappear on him again. Which he was, of course.

Elaina smiled. "Woah, shortstuff, you're squishing me."

"Shortstuff?!" Kai pulled away and glared. "I am at least half a foot taller than you, Elaina!"

Elaina shrugged. "Doesn't matter, you'll always be my short, skinny, wussy little bro."

Kai sighed. "Remind me why I'm still here?"

"'Cause you looooooooooove me, little bro."

"We're the same age AND I'm taller than you!! Quit calling me little bro!"

"Nu-uh!" Elaina waggled a finger. "I'm exactly 5 minutes and 22 seconds older than you."

"You're impossble!"

"Kai, as much as I'd LOVE to continue catching up on six missed years of sibling rivalry, I think I'm gonna pass out soon."

"Oh," Kai brought himself back to the situation at hand. "Right. I'll have to take you home, I suppose."

"Kai!" Elaina said in mock shock, "I know I'm sexy and irresistable, but we're related!"

"You're not helping." Kai scooped her up. "Quit with the wisecracks."

"Well, seeing as how I'm seriously gonna pass out in about five seconds, that shouldn't be a prob--" Elaina's eyelids fluttered as her strength finally gave out.

"Shit." Kai slung Elaina over his shoulder--she was out cold, she wouldn't care about comfort--and glared at the crowd that had gathered around them. A gap formed in the circle and Kai strode out, headed home.

***

Ray sat at the kitchen table, chin propped up in his hand, bored out of his skull. Everyone else was gone--Max and Tyson were at some sort of exhibition match for charity, Kenny was visiting Mr Dickenson, Tala had gone grocery shopping, and Kai was off doing... well... whatever it was Kai did.

"I'm so BORED." Ray said out loud, trying to make the house feel less empty. "Bored, bored, BORED. Why am I always the one stuck here by myself?" Ray began wandering around the kitchen. "I suppose I could cook something... OH!" Ray got an idea. "Brownies! I haven't made super-fudge brownies in ages, and Kai loves them! Not that I'm making them especially for Kai or something... 'cause it's not like I like him like that or anything... Ack, who am I kidding?" Ray decided that it was pointless to lie to himself, "I like him! I think he's absolutely gorgeous! He's hot, he's mysterious, he can be incredibly sweet... I SO want him." Ray grinned. "There! I said it! Now I just need to tell HIM that..."

Ray began mixing together various ingredients when there was a knock at the door. Actually, it sounded more like a kick, and a rather impatient one at that. Which could only mean one thing...

"Kai!" Ray raced to the door. "You're finally back! I'm making brownies, they'll be ready in about an--" Ray stopped mid-sentence as he opened the door and saw HIS Kai cradling some GIRL in his arms. "Kai? Who's--"

Kai pushed past the raven-haired boy. "I'll explain later, Ray," he said, completely missing the broken-hearted look on the other boy's face. He went to his room and laid Elaina down on his bed, tenderly tucking the flame-print comforter around her. Then he grabbed his desk chair and took a seat next to the bed, preparing to watch and wait for his sister to wake up.

Ray was fuming. How DARE this girl steal Kai's affection?! For it was obvious that Kai cared deeply for her. 'I've been trying for YEARS to get him to open up to me!' he thought angrily, 'And she just waltzes in and practically makes him melt?? It's not FAIR!'

"Ray?"

Ray managed to force his face into it's normal, pleasant look and poked his head into the room. "Yes, Kai?"

"Would you mind making some soup? I don't think she's eaten in awhile, and I'm kind of hungry, too."

Ray barely managed to keep his composure. 'Now I'm cooking for her? What's next??' he wanted to scream. Instead, he said "Sure thing, Kai."

"Thanks, Ray."

Ray sighed. It was almost worth it to get a thanks from Kai.

***

Elaina began to wake up an hour later when she felt Kai poking around her brain. //Hey, quit that, Kai,// she sent, //You know it bugs me when you do that.//

//Oh,// Kai sent back, his thought-shapes startled, //Sorry. Did I wake you?//

//Ya, but it's okay. I should probably drag my lazy ass out of bed anyways.//

//You've only been asleep for and hour.//

//Then it was an hour too long.// Tears gathered at Elaina's eyes. //I've missed you, Kai.//

Kai hugged his sister. //I've missed you, too.//

//And you've got about a million questions that you want to ask, right?// Elaina's thoughts were amused.

//How come you're allowed to dig through my brain, but I can't dig through yours?//

//'Cause I'm better at it.//

"Ahem."

Kai turned to the door. "Oh, hi Ray."

//Wow, he's CUTE.//

//Shut up, Elaina.//

Ray set down the tray, trying not to look at the snuggling pair. "The soup's done, and there's a tray of brownies on the counter, too."

"Thanks." Kai smiled. "Ray, I'd like you to meet someone."

'Great,' thought Ray, 'Here it comes...'

"This is my sister, Elaina."

"...Sister?"

Kai nodded.

Ray launched himself at Elaina. "Wow, it's great to meet you, Elaina! Kai never said he had a sister! This is awesome!"

Elaina laughed. "It's great to meet you, too, Ray! I've seen you in the paper and on TV with the other Bladebreakers, you're a really good Blader."

Ray grinned. "Thanks!"

//He's REALLY cute!//

//Shut UP!//

//Kai's got a cruuuuuuush, Kai's got a cruuuuuuuuush...//

//...well...//

Elaina's eyes went wide. //You DO!! Oh my God, you DO have a crush on him!//

//Quit that! He's gonna notice!// Indeed, Ray was giving Elaina a rather odd look.

"Uhhh..." Elaina thought desparately for a cover, "I just realized! I left my Beyblade in the dish! When Kai and I bladed!"

"Oh," Kai caught on quickly, "Don't worry, I picked that up before we left. I put it back in your jacket."

"Oh, good."

//Good save, sis.//

//Thanks.//

Ray got up. "I'm going to go get my soup and eat in here, if that's alright. I'd like to hear more about your sister, Kai."

Kai smiled. "Sure, that'd be great."

Ray grinned back and headed to the kitchen. 'He smiled! Twice in one day! Whatever you did, Elaina, thank you!'

Elaina turned to her brother. //You like him??//

Kai blushed faintly. //It's no fair asking me in thought-shapes, you KNOW you can't lie with thought-shapes!//

//Well, DUH. That's why I'm not asking in words.// Elaina grinned. //He seems like a real sweetheart. You've got good taste, little bro.//

//Shhh! He's coming back!//

Ray walked back in, balancing his soup bowl and a plate of brownies. "Look at what I brought..."

"BROWNIES!!" The siblings exclaimed together. Kai grabbed the plate.

Ray watched amusedly as the two fought over the plate. 'Kai's acting so... normal,' Ray realized suddenly, 'he looks like any normal teenage boy. He's... happy.'

Kai and Elaina settled the Great Brownie Dispute, got their soup bowls, and finally everyone was seated comfortably.

"So," Ray began, "Why didn't you mention that you had a sister?"

"Well," Kai said, blowing on his soup, "I thought that she was dead, for one."

"What?!"

Elaina laughed. "Maybe you should start at the beginning, Kai. Or perhaps I should, seeing as how there are a few details that even you don't know."

Kai nodded. "Sounds good."

"Okay... well, I should probably mention that Kai and I are twins, so we've been really close ever since we were little. Our Mom died giving birth to us, and Dad... well, he went a little insane. You met him at the Russian Tournament a few years ago, you know him as Boris."

"Boris is your father??" Ray turned to Kai. "Why didn't you say anything?"

Kai's eyes clouded over. "He's no father to me."

"Oh..." Ray cast his eyes down. "Sorry."

"Anyways... Voltaire raised us both to be killing machines. Training, mind alteration, electro-shock therapy... it was hell. Finally, we ran away. Took some money, flew to Japan, and found an abandoned warehouse to crash in. Voltaire still kept tabs on us, of course, he wasn't about to let 8 years of work get away from him.

"When we were 12, he came for me. He thought that I, being the girl, would be easier to turn. But I refused, and he knew that as long as Kai and I had eachother, neither of us would join him. So, he decided that since he had already explained his plan to me, I would be the one to go."

Elaina's eyes began to grow misty. "Luckily, the person he chose to kill me couldn't do it. He let me go, gave me some money, told me to get away. So, I left, hid in the streets for 6 years, keeping an eye on Kai when I could. I didn't want to contact him, because then Voltaire would know for sure that I was alive. But when he was killed a few months ago, I saw my chance. And, here I am." Elaina shrugged. "Not much of a story, huh?"

Ray's eyes were opened wide. "Wow... I can't believe you had to go through all that."

Elaina smiled. "It really wasn't so bad, I had a lot of frie--" She paused, her whole body tensing up.

Kai tried to reach out to her with thoughts, but failed. "Elaina," he said, trying words, "What is it?"

"He's coming." Elaina looked like she had seen a ghost.

"Who?"

Elaina didn't answer. Kai tried once again to reach out with thoughts. This time, he caught something... someone was outside. He felt Elaina reach out hesitantly to the stranger. He felt the unknown person pause. Then he heard something drop outside, and footsteps racing for the door. Elaina bolted out of the room to meet the stranger, Kai following closely behind.

Elaina flung the door open. On the other side, bewildered, was Tala.

Tala stared in disbelief. "Elaina?"

"Tala?"

The two just stood there, staring, for a long moment.

TBC