Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ The Chosen ❯ Chapter Three: Sleep ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Chosen

Chapter Three: Sleep

Author: Kameko-chan

Warnings: Yaoi

Pairings: Kai/Ray and Tala/OC. Possible Tyson/Max, I haven't decided on that yet.

Notes: Sorry for the long, making-little-sense explanation in the last chapter. If you've got any questions, post them or e-mail me and I'll try to answer, okay? Anyways, this chapter (hopefully) will fill in all the little blanks that are left in the story--Elaina and Tala's relationship, Kai's and Ray's feelings for each other (even if they don't know about the other's feelings yet), and of course, Ray's twin. Oh, and you should be able to submit anon reviews now. My bad.

{ } = flashback

// // = thought-speak

***

Ray's eyes began to brim over with tears. A childhood of death, destruction, and loss was coming back to him in a rush. Now he knew why someone had blocked off his memories of his parents and sister. He knew the truth.

"She killed them."

Kai winced at the emptiness of Ray's voice. Tears ran down his face, feelings of despair were emenating from him... yet his voice was flat and empty. It tore at Kai's heart like a thousand knives. `Why did I do this to him? Why didn't I leave him happy and oblivious?'

//Because you were trying to help.// Elaina broke in. //And you may have, just let the guy finish his story.//

Kai sighed and turned his attention back to Ray, who was still staring into space with tears running down his face.

Ray continued in the same flat, monotone voice. "My sister's name was... is... Hannah. She was the sweetest person in the world. She'd never... intentionally... hurt a soul. But despite her best efforts, everything around her seemed to die. We had a pet cat once, and it was dead in a week. She'd always find dead animals on the road. They'd never have a scratch on them. It was as though they'd just dropped dead for no reason.

"One day, I came home from school to find both our parents dead, and Hannah sitting by them and weeping. She broke down, admitted that she'd killed them, that she'd killed all those poor animals too. She swore she didn't mean too, she said she couldn't help it.

"The village elder locked her up. He decided that she posed too much of a threat to the villagers, even with magic blocks on. Then he put the blocks on me, to spare me the pain of remembering." Ray closed his eyes briefly, then reopened them. When he spoke, his voice sounded even emptier. "She's been locked up for six years. They've taken the blocks off, because there's no longer a need for them. She's gone insane... retreated into her own mind and won't come out." Ray's shoulders began to shake. Softly, then getting louder, he started sobbing. Deep, heart-wrenching sobs racked his whole body.

Kai stood up and gathered the crying teen in his arms. Ray buried his face in Kai's shoulder as he was carried to his room. The others simply stared at Kai's retreating back.

Elaina cleared her throat. "Well," she began, "It certainly has been an interesting day. You guys have a lot of info to sort out, so why don't we all catch some Z's? Speaking of which," she turned to Tala, "Where can I crash?"

Tala reddened slightly. "Well, you could take my bed, and I'll sleep on the couch..."

"Nonsense," Elaina said briskly, "I won't kick you out of your own room. We can share," she gave the rest of the group a Look. "Unless anyone here has a problem with that." The others shook their heads. Elaina grinned. "Then it's settled! I'll see you guys tomorrow morning, I'm beat." She stood up and left the room. Tala soon followed.

Tyson looked at Max and Kenny. "Guess we should get some sleep too," he said. "It's been a very weird day."

***

Kai opened the door to Ray's room with some difficulty, as he was still carrying the raven-haired boy. When he finally got the door open and Ray deposited onto his bed, Kai realized something.

Even though they'd been living in the same house for a year and a half, Kai had never seen Ray's room before. He'd never had reason to go in, and Ray had certainly never invited him in. He surveyed his surroundings. `It's very... Ray,' he decided, gazing at the cat figures hiding around the room, and the large ornamental screen in the corner. He was inspecting some of the wall hangings when he heard Ray call his name softly. Kai walked back to the bed. "Yeah?"

Ray smiled. "Thanks, Kai. For everything. I've just got one favor to ask..." he blushed lightly, but Kai didn't seem to notice. "Would you just stay here until I fall asleep? I just don't really feel like being alone..."

Kai nodded and dragged the chair from Ray's desk to the bed. Ray looked at him for a couple minutes, then seemed to decide that Kai wasn't going anywhere and snuggled into the covers. He was soon fast asleep.

Kai smiled at the teen's sleeping form. `He looks so gorgeous when he sleeps,' Kai thought to himself before dozing off in the chair.

Ray smiled. He hadn't quite caught Kai's last thought, but he was pretty sure he'd gotten the gist of it. He fell asleep still smiling.

***

Elaina was fast asleep when Tala finally decided to go to bed. At least, he thought she was fast asleep, but when he slipped under the covers Elaina moved into his arms. Whether she was awake or moving out of instinct, Tala couldn't tell. Nor did he care, all that mattered to him was that she was safe in his arms.

He still couldn't believe she was here, it was all too surreal. After that night, he hadn't thought he'd see her again...

{Elaina stands under the glow of the streetlamp. Waiting. Watching.

Tala steps into the circle of light. "Hello."

Elaina runs into his open arms. "Tala, what's wrong?"

Tala doesn't answer for a few minutes, not wanting to let her out of his arms, not wanting to say that awful word.

"Tala?"

"Voltaire..." he starts, unable to tell her, unable to say it...

Elaina pulls away and stares at him with a look of pure and utter emptiness. "He sent you here to kill me, didn't he?"

Tala nods. "But... I can't..." once again, he can't speak. Instead, he hands Elaina an envelope packed with money. "Use this," he says, and then is silent.

Elaina looks at him again, only her eyes showing the heartache she feels. She tucks the envelope away and turns to leave. Pausing a moment, she looks back over her shoulder. "Goodbye," she whispers before melting into the night.

"Goodbye," Tala whispers back, the first tears he's ever cried sliding down his cheeks...}

"Tala?"

Tala snapped out of his thoughts and looked at Elaina. "Yes?"

Elaina's brow was creased with worry. "What's the matter?"

Tala smiled as he tightened his grip around Elaina. "Nothing. Everything's fine." He stroked her hair. "Everything's fine."

***

Tyson stared at the ceiling, unable to sleep. And really, one couldn't blame him. The guy had been subjected to ubernice!Kai and had just found out that the sourpuss had a sister who was in some sort of relationship with Tala, and that both had thought her dead.

"It's like a bloody soap opera," he grumbled to the ceiling. As the ceiling wouldn't respond, Tyson picked up his pillow and blanket and trotted across the hall to Max's room.

"Hey Max, you asleep?"

Max glared at Tyson. "I was ALMOST asleep."

"Good, then I didn't wake you up!" He ran across the room and bounced onto Max's bed. "Wasn't today WEIRD? It's like a soap opera! It's crazy! It's insane! It's--HEY!" Tyson began fending off a pillow onslaught from Max. "What was that for?"

"Tyson, it's 3 in the morning. GO. TO. SLEEP." The blonde turned his back to Tyson and tried to go back to sleep.

"Can I sleep in here? I'm way too weirded out to sleep by myself."

Max sighed. "Just so long as you're quiet."

Tyson grinned and flopped onto the bed. The pair was asleep within minutes.

***

Kenny was clicking away on his laptop. "Chief, It's late," Dizzi complained, "Why can't this wait until tomorrow?"

"Because I want to know now," Kenny said firmly.

"Sorry, not a good enough reason! I'm shutting down now!" Abruptly, Dizzi clicked off.

"Dizzi!" Kenny push the power button a few times, but to no avail. "Fine, I'll go to sleep! Geez." The teen stretched, stood up, and made his way to his bed. He was out like a light as soon as his head hit the pillow.

And so, the house slept, unaware of the trials they would face in only a few short hours.

TBC

It's kinda short, and random, and weird. There's finally a plot in the next chapter, so beware! *insert evil laugh here*

I've got problems...

Review, please!