Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ The Chosen ❯ Chapter Five: Betrayal ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Chosen

Chapter Five: Betrayal

Author: Kameko-chan

Warnings: Yaoi

Pairings: Kai/Ray, Tala/OC, hints of Max/Tyson

Notes: I know that a few pieces may seem kind of pointless, but I promise that they have a purpose! Really!

// // thought-speak

{ } half-conscious... stuff... you'll get it when you see them

-----------------------------------------

Ray could feel his recently consumed airline lunch churning in his stomach as their rented truck bumped along the dirt road, though whether this was caused by the thought of seeing the village again, the food itself, or the fact that he was crammed beside Kai, he wasn't sure. `Probably that last one,' he thought to himself. His face reddened slightly, then went pale as Max turned sharply around a corner and hit a few more bumps. `Or maybe not...'

Luckily, the group soon arrived at Ray's old village without any chirping of chips, upchucking, woofing of cookies, or puking. An old man hobbled out to their truck to greet them.

"Ray!" he said, smiling giving Ray a hug. "I did not expect you to get here so quickly!"

Ray grinned. "You can thank Max's reckless driving for that."

Max flashed a `V' sign. "Max's chauffer service," he said, winking, "Driving with complete disregard for other people's safety for a year and a half!"

The elder laughed. "Pleased to meet you Max, and the rest of you as well." He gestured to the village. "Come, let me show you around!"

"Actually, Ojisan," Ray interrupted, "I wanted to talk with you."

The old man's smile seemed to flicker for a moment, but was back so soon that Ray was sure he'd imagined it. "Of course, Ray. I'm sure your friends can wait for `the grand tour'." He pointed to a nearby building. "We can talk there."

Elaina thought for a moment, then pushed Kai towards Ray. "Why don't you go with him, Kai? For, um, moral support." She began leading the others in the opposite direction. "Me and the boys will go explore the village. Bye!"

"Wha--?" Kai stood there blinking for a few moments, which gave Elaina all the time she needed to get away from the Evil Glare O' Doom. He turned around and shrugged at Ray. //She's a little bit insane.//

Ray smiled. //I noticed.//

//I thought she was a very nice girl.//

Kai and Ray both spun around stared at the elder in shock. "You..." Kai began.

"Yes, Mr Hiwatari, I'm capable of speaking with thoughts rather than words. It is not limited only to your kind." The cheerful smile was gone, the old one's face was cold and emotionless. "Come along now," he said, walking to the empty council building, "we have much to discuss."

Hesitantly, Kai placed a hand on Ray's shoulder and steered the shocked teen towards the building the elder had disappeared into.

***

"Wow!" Tyson said, wandering around the market. "Look at all the cool stuff here! Look at all the neat food!"

"The village is a lot bigger then I imagined," Max said, looking at the long row of stalls lining the street. "I always thought of it as one of those dinky little places with about ten little huts and everyone gathered around a bonfire."

"Most people make that assumption," one of the shopkeepers said. "We're actually a pretty thriving village, especially after all the publicity the White Tigers gave us."

"Don't forget Ray!" another called out.

"Ah, yes, Ray as well," the shopkeeper agreed. "Thanks to the tourists they brought in, the town's doing better than ever."

Kenny nodded. "I was reading about that, your economy has improved vastly over the past three years."

Kenny soon launched into a vast discussion with the random shopkeeper about politics and economy and boring stuff like that. Tyson stared the two for a few minutes, then spotted a shop with a sale on ramen and practically dragged poor Max with him to the stall. Elaina and Tala had already snuck off to... well, `have some privacy'. And we'll leave it at that.

***

The old man gestured to the two chairs across from him. "Take a seat."

"I think we'll stand," Ray said coolly.

"Suit yourself." He folded his arms. "What did you wish to speak to me about?"

"I think you know."

"Run it by me anyway."

Ray clenched his hands into fists. "I'm here for Hannah. I'm taking her back with me."

The old one shook his head. "I'm afraid that's not possible."

Ray banged his fist on the table. "Why not?!"

The elder sighed and rubbed his forehead. "She not a threat to anyone right now. She's safe, and everyone in the village is safe from her. I can't take the risk of you ruining that."

"What do you mean, `ruining'? She's a vegetable, she--" Ray paused, anger and understanding flickering in his eyes. "You did that to her, didn't you? You made her that way!"

"She was breaking the blocks, Ray. I had no choice."

Ray was quaking with anger, amber eyes filled with hatred and disgust. "You sick, twisted son of a bitch." His voice shook with emotion. "Locking her up in the first place was bad enough, but this..."

//RAY!//

Ray turned ask the other teen why he'd interrupted him when he was hit over the head with something very, VERY solid. He caught a glimpse of Kai being beaten by a group of thugs and heard a faint "Sorry, young one," before he passed out.

***

{"Where are the rest of them?"

"They've split up, apparently."

"Good, there'll be less resistance this way..."}

{"Let me go!!"

"Get your hands off of him!"

A slap. The sound of a body hitting the floor.

"Max!"}

{A thud. "That's the last of them."

"What's Ojiisan going to do with them?"

"Don't know. Just said they were a threat that needed to be dealt with."

"Whatever. I get paid whether they live or not."

"I hear ya..."}

***

"Ow." Ray awoke to a major headache. Touching the aching spot in the back of his head, he found dried blood encrusted in his hair and a lump the size of an egg. "Fuck," he swore softly, pulling himself into a sitting position and surveying the room.

He was in a cell, or some sort of a holding chamber, at any rate. It was dark, and there were no windows, which suggested that the room was underground. As his eyes adjusted to the darkness, Ray was able to make out the forms of his friends. Max was bandaging a wound on Tyson's arm, which looked at though it had been slashed with a knife. Elaina was stroking Tala's hair while he slept in her lap, and Kai was talking with...

Ray's eyes widened. "Hannah?!"

TBC

-------------------------------------------

Did you like the crazy half-conscious scene there? ^_^;; What can I say, I was bored.

Review, review, review!

Oh, and I haven't decided whether or not Dickenson should be good or evil... I've thought of both scenarios, and I just can't decide! So, if you've got any input on that, please let me know!