Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ The Chosen ❯ Chapter Eight: Secrets Revealed ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Chosen

Chapter Eight:

Author: Kameko-chan

Warnings: Yaoi. Swearing.

Pairings: Kai/Ray, Tala/OC, hints of Max/Tyson

Notes: *mad snuggles to all my reviewers* We've hit 50 reviews! I never dreamed I'd get so many! You guys totally make this all worthwhile, thank you so much!

At any rate, I've just realized that I'm writing a Beyblade fic with-well, no Beyblading in it! *thinks* I must find a way to fit that in... it just doesn't seem right without it...

--------------------------------------------------

Mr Dickenson smiled at the confused looks he was getting. "How are you doing, boys? And ladies," he added hastily, seeing the glare Hannah shot at him. "Having fun?"

"What in the HELL are you doing here??"

Mr Dickenson's smile faltered for a moment. "Always to the point, aren't you, Mr Hiwatari?" He shrugged his shoulders. "I'll tell you, but I thought maybe you'd like to know of more pressing matters first. Like the whereabouts of young Kenny, or that nasty execution Joel mentioned."

"How did you--?" Ray's eyes widened, his train of thought switching directions. "Wait... God... they're not... it's not... not KENNY?"

Dickenson's eyes sparkled with amusement. "No, Mr Kon. Kenny is quite safe, actually. Joel and Adrianna picked him up from the market some hours ago. He was given a mild sedative to keep him quiet, he's sleeping." Dickenson casually pointed at the hallway he'd appeared from. "Third door on the left, if you want to visit him later."

Ray sighed in relief. "Thank God. Then who's being executed?"

"You."

Ray stared at Dickenson in shocked disbelief. "Me??"

"Well, all of you." A wistful smile played across Dickenson's face, apparently oblivious to Ray's look of complete shock. "How I would have loved to see their faces when they discovered that you weren't there."

**********

"How COULD he?" Ray's fist connected with his pillow, feathers flying everywhere and then settling on the bed like snow. "He was like a grandfather to me! I trusted him! How could he betray me like this?"

Kai looked up from his book at the enraged teen he was sharing a room with. Dickenson had ushered them off, saying that he'd explain things in the morning-which Kai was getting a bit sick of. However, seeing Ray's reaction to the information they'd just received, he grudgingly admitted that Dickenson had been right in calling it a night. Emotions rolled off Ray in waves: sadness, hurt, betrayal, anger. The intensity nearly made Kai fall off his bed.

`Don't react,' Kai told himself, `Whatever you do, you must remain impartial. You can't risk him finding out about how you feel and being disgusted by it.'

Helpless, Kai watched as Ray finally exhausted himself and slumped against the pillow he had been mercilessly punching. Tears gathered at the corners of the cat-like teen's eyes. "How?" Ray's voice was soft, filled with a sadness beyond comprehension. "How could he be so heartless?"

Seeing Ray's spirit break like that was more than Kai could bear. Not caring about the possible consequences, he crossed the gap between their two beds and gathered the weeping teen into his arms. Ray didn't react, he just continued to sob uncontrollably.

Holding the other boy close, Kai rubbed his back in what he hoped was a soothing manner, all the while sending comforting thoughts through their mind link. Ray buried his face into Kai's shoulder, tears continuing to flow freely as he let loose not only the pain of this encounter, but all the sadness and heartache he had suffered through in his short life. He clung to Kai for dear life, as though letting go would cause him to drown in the salty sea of his tears.

When no more tears could be shed, Ray looked up at Kai. He stared at the other boys face for a long moment.

"I didn't know you wore glasses, Kai."

"Ah, I need them for reading."

Ray smiled and pushed the square, gold-rimmed frames back up Kai's nose. "They're cute." Exhausted, he then rested his head on Kai's chest and closed his eyes. He was soon breathing the soft, even breaths of slumber.

When he was certain the other teen was asleep, Kai kissed him softly on the top of his head. "Sweet dreams, Ray. You could use them."

And the pair slumbered, wrapped in each other's arms.

************

Tala grinned and closed the door on the sleeping pair. "Looks like Elaina's plan has finally worked! Wait `til I tell her the good news." Still smiling, the ruby-haired teen strolled down the hallway towards the room that he and Elaina were sharing. When he turned the corner, however, the smile disappeared. "Oh. Hello, Adri."

The grey-eyed girl scowled. "You may address me as Adrianna, non-magic."

Tala clenched his fists, pale blue eyes like chips of ice. "I have a name as well, Adrianna," he said tersely. "It's Tala."

Adri tossed back her chestnut locks. "I know your name, non-magic, I just don't think you're worth the effort." An instant later, Adri found herself pinned against the wall, Tala's hand at her throat. `How could he move so fast?' she wondered, eyes wide and staring at Tala in disbelief.

"Why do you hate me so?" Icy fingers tightened around the creamy throat. "Tell me! Is it because I have no magic? Because I'm `lower' than you? Answer me!"

Adri struggled to draw breath. "W-w-why, you ask?" Her voice was small, hoarse, but her eyes held all the fire her voice could not convey. "Because when I look into your eyes, I see the eyes of a killer. I see the blood staining your soul. And I can hear their screams." Her mouth twitched, she looked vaguely amused. "You know the ones I'm talking about, don't you? Every night, you hear their screams while you fall asleep; they are your sick, twisted lullaby. And every night, your dreams are stained with their blood, filled with their crying, pleading faces."

Tala released Adri and backed away, slumping against the opposite wall. "No... you couldn't know... it... it wasn't my FAULT!!" The teen clutched at the sides of his head and sank to the floor. "Please... stop..."

But Adri wasn't about to show mercy. "Wasn't your fault? BioVolt wasn't controlling you! You still had your own free will! Don't lie to me, non-magic, I can see right through it." Her eyes narrowed as she leaned in closer. "You looked right in your mother's eyes," she said in a deadly whisper, "and you made the choice. You sold your soul for a spot in BioVolt." Adri stood and shot Tala an icy glare. "That, Tala, is why I hate you. Because your horribly stained soul sickens me. Now, if you'll excuse me..." With that, Adri turned her back to Tala and proceeded down the hallway, her white robe billowing slightly behind her, once again the picture of perfect calm and indifference. And left behind was a broken soul, whose half-healed wounds had been torn anew.

Tala stared at the floor and saw that night, saw his hands stained with their blood, saw his family's lifeless eyes staring up at his again. All of them asking, `Why?'

He had no answers for them. All he had was his tears.

-----------------------------------------

Kameko: Well, that got kind of dark at the end, didn't it?

Itazura: I liked it.

Kameko: You would. *ahem* Anyways, I'm glad that I could FINALLY write a Ray/Kai scene. Now that I've gotten it out into the open a bit more, expect more of that! Oh, and I've finally decided how the fic's gonna end! It probably won't be for awhile yet, but I've got something to work towards finally. While making it up as I go is fun, it's kind of nice to know that it won't just go on forever and that there IS and end to it somewhere-

Itazura: Unlike your constant chatter.

Kameko: Quiet, you.