Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Kisses -- Bulma & Vegeta ❯ Erosion ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Erosion
By LadyLark
~*~
 
He didn't want to go home. He wasn't ready to face them . . . her . . . just yet. So he was sitting on the edge of a cliff watching the churning ocean, thinking.

It was strange . . . that he thought of the dome-shaped building as home instead of the red cloud sky of his native planet. It was an alien concept. Almost as alien as his feelings of affection for his mate and son.

But still they were there, lapping incessantly at his mind and soul. Eating away at his carefully constructed defenses. He had survived years in the hands of one of the universe's most sadistic rulers and managed to escape relatively unscathed. But after only three years on this blue planet, he found himself becoming soft. Weak.

It disgusted him.

But he couldn't bring himself to leave. Two identical sets of blue eyes held him here.

It was pitiful.

The air behind him stirred, whispering over his ears like a lover's kiss. He turned to see who would dare disturb him. The list was short. But he was unprepared to see the scarred fighter staring at him with an indistinguishable expression on his face.

Minutes ticked by as the two fighters assessed each other. Vegeta narrowed his eyes. What did the weakling want? Yamcha's features were not giving anything away.

"What do you want?" Vegeta snarled after his temper and curiosity got the better of him.

"Are you going to leave now?"

"What?" he exclaimed then he growled at his wayward tongue. The question had come out of nowhere and he wasn't sure what the other man was asking. Frowning, he asked. "What do you mean?"

"Are you going to leave Chikyuu? Yes or No."

"Explain your question"

"It goes like this. Cell is obliterated. Goku is dead and not coming back. You don't have any reason to stay, so are you going to go?"

Vegeta considered Yamcha's words. It was true. Kakarott was dead for good this time, and with him died his chance for redemption as well as his revenge. So why did he stay? It was a valid question. Not that he was going to acknowledge that. "What business is it of yours?"

"It has to do with Bulma."

"The woman?"

"Yes, 'the woman!' She's the reason why I want to know."

"I still do not see why it is any of your concern? She is not your mate. If I recall correctly, she was the one who . . . what is the word . . . no matter . . . she was the one who decided you were no longer worthy of her company."

Yamcha slumped. "Yeah, she dumped me. It still doesn't mean I don't love her." He sighed. "Look Vegeta, I don't know why Bulma chose you. You're an arrogant, stuck-up, black hearted asshole. But she saw something in you, and I have to respect that. But if you are going to abandon her, I want to make sure that someone who cares about her is around to help pick up the pieces. She just lost her best friend today. Now you may not care about that, but I do!"

"What do you mean 'best friend?'"

"Goku, you idiot!"

"Do not call me an idiot if you wish to continue breathing, human."

"Goku was her best friend. They've been friends for as long as I've known them. I'm just worried about her."

"You are underestimating the woman's strength. She is not as weak as Kakarott's harpy. She will survive."

"She might survive, but I also want her to be happy."

"Hmph."

"It's okay, Vegeta. I really don't care if you go. In fact, I hope you do. I still love Bulma and with you out of the picture I'll woo her back. I'm even thinking of asking her to marry me. I'll adopt Trunks as my son and . . ."

"Enough! You will not touch what is mine!"

"Oh? So you do care. That's a surprise."

"Hmph! I do not care about the woman however I will not have a weakling like you raising my son. It is unthinkable."

"I think you're lying Vegeta. Whether it is to yourself or to me, I don't know. But I think you do care about Bulma. But I've not going to argue with you. That isn't why I came today. Are you going to stay on Chikyuu?"

"I do not have to answer you!"

"I am not leaving until you do."

Vegeta raised his hand and began to gather his ki to blast the annoying human off of the face of the planet.

"Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Hold it! Fine! You aren't going to answer. I can deal with that. I'll just hang around Capsule Corps to make sure that Bulma and Trunks are okay. If things happen, then they happen." Yamcha let a smug grin cross his features. "We've always had a spark between us. It may be cold now bu--"

"I will stay," Vegeta interrupted.

"Huh? What?"

"Are you deaf as well as brainless and spineless?"

"No."

"Then don't make me repeat myself."

"Okay."

Seconds ticked by in silence while Vegeta waited for Yamcha to leave. Finally when the scarred warrior showed no interest in going he snapped. "Leave!"

"Huh? Sorry, I thought you had more to say."

"I do not."

"Um, alright. Look I'll be going. Thanks for answering my question."

"Hmph," Vegeta snorted, resolutely turning his back on the unwanted visitor.

"You just better make her happy, pipsqueak." Yamcha called as he walked to the opposite edge of the cliff and blasted off before Vegeta incinerated him.

"He's gonna stay." Yamcha commented with knowing smile as he looked back at the figure of the Saiyajin prince. Part of him was happy that he managed to survive the encounter with Vegeta without dying or wetting his pants. Another part of him was pleased that he managed to get an answer out of Vegeta. He knew that Bulma cared for the short prince, otherwise she would have never let him father her child. But he wasn't sure about the Saiyajin's feelings. Now, he felt more secure that in some small portion of his black heart, Vegeta cared for her and Trunks as well.

Several miles passed before the final part of him made itself known

"Awww, Damn!" he exclaimed as he realized that he had just sabotaged his chance to get back together with Bulma.
~*~

AN:
I don't know where this came from. I really don't. I planned on a Vegeta introspective, but Yamcha came a bloody took over. I don't think that Vegeta and for that matter DBZ fans realize a lot of things.
 
1) Bulma and Vegeta were not a real couple until after the Cell games. Evidence -- He abandoned her to go train in space. He didn't try to save her when Gero shot her plane out of the sky. He showed no interest in either her or Trunks. It wasn't until after Future Trunks died that Vegeta settled down and seemed to start caring.
 
2) Yamcha was VERY bitter prior to the start of the Cell games but during the Buu Saga he is postively congenial and friendly -- both with Bulma and with Vegeta. What changed that?
 
3) People forget Goku was Bulma's best friend -- even though she states that regularly. Krillin was Goku's best friend -- but Bulma is his Oldest friend. Noone shows Bulma's reaction to Goku's death. In fact, everyone seems to take it really well -- condsidering that he isn't coming back.
 
So I think that something had to happen to keep Vegeta on Earth. I mean -- he wasn't a good guy and the earth did have it's defenders. Including Gohan. A lot of people speculate that it was Trunks and Bulma -- and they might be right. But it is kinda neat to look at. Oh and I will never refer to DBZ earth as Earth for one reason -- It isn't. That is why I use the Japanese word. To differentiate between Earths.
 
I hope you liked ^_^