Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Dead Men Tell No Tales ❯ The Unexpected ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, after a very long wait, here I am with the second chapter! Yay me! I edited the chapter, but most people who already read it won't notice much of a change. I just fixed some errors and such to make it a more enjoyable read.
 
And I have a feeling someone's gonna eventually review telling me that Rose is out of character in this story. Yes, I purposely painted Rose as a dirty rotten bastard, and I don't care if that proves me biased against him, I hate the creep! I know you're supposed to be impartial and keep people in character when writing a fanfic, but I just can't seem to care when it comes to Rose. Jerk….
 
Er….eh heh. Sorry. I'm done now. Go on and read.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Chapter 2—The Unexpected
 
By the time night fell and they were officially allowed to leave, they were both on the road to insanity.
 
Ryo dropped his head onto the keyboard, causing several boxes to pop up on the screen and a loud beeping sound to issue from the computer. “I'm going to go insane, Dee….”
 
Dee frowned and looked up, pausing momentarily from flipping through the papers that were scattered over the desk. “Nothing?”
 
“Less than. According to the records, nothing is connected to this Russell guy. No murders, robberies, arson…. The guy's never even gotten a speeding ticket.”
 
“So, what, you think….I dunno, maybe he's not connected to any of this at all?”
 
“I don't know. But he's the only lead we have, and he's a pathetic one.” Ryo still hadn't lifted his head from the computer keyboard, and now he lifted it slightly and slammed it back down again. “Why us?” he moaned. “Does Rose have something against us? I mean, we've never done anything truly horrible to him, have we?” He paused. “….Okay, yeah, I see it now. I have seen the light. I quit. I'm finished. Goodbye, cruel precinct. Goodbye, cruel world!”
 
Dee laughed and stood slowly, wincing as he did so. “Ow…. C'mon, let's get out of here. You'll feel better about things tomorrow.”
 
“Nope, I'll be dead tomorrow,” Ryo replied matter-of-factly as he stood up and put on his jacket. “I plan on flinging myself off the roof tonight, right after I make you and Bikky dinner so at least I don't leave you starving when I throw myself to my death.”
 
“As long as you have a plan,” Dee replied in a teasingly soothing tone as he opened the door and stepped aside to let Ryo through.
 
Ryo turned to smile at him as he walked backwards through the doorway, and as a result of his lack of eyes in the back of his head, he backed right into Berkeley Rose. And judging by the way he jumped a foot in the air, Dee guessed that the commissioner's hands had wandered to a place they probably weren't supposed to be. Ryo, naturally, turned bright red. “H-hello, sir,” he stammered.
 
Dee scowled as Rose smirked. “What the hell do you want?” he asked, leaning heavily against Ryo's desk, since it seemed they'd be there for a while.
 
“Careful with your tone, Detective,” Rose replied smoothly, smiling coldly. “I just came to tell you that Adams and Parker will be working on this one with you.”
 
“What? JJ? Why?” Dee asked, horrified.
 
“Yes, we're perfectly capable of handing it on our own, sir,” Ryo added.
 
Rose smirked again. “No, you're perfectly capable of handling it on your own, Ryo. Laytner most likely won't pull his weight and, since this is such an important case and since it involves the possible death of some of our best officers, I just need to make sure you get the kind of help you need and deserve.”
 
“So what you're saying is, I'm a lazy ass and Ryo's Sandra Dee,” Dee said.
 
“….Pretty much.”
 
Dee sighed, exasperated, before fixing a smile in place. “And to that, sir, I give you a heartfelt, if slightly hostile, `kiss my ass.'”
 
Ryo bit back on the grin that was threatening to surface and said, “Goodnight, Commissioner,” in a voice that was slightly choked from trying not to laugh.
 
“Good night, Detectives,” Rose said with a forced smile, unable to hide his annoyance at Dee's newfound patience.
 
“It won't be so bad,” Ryo said as he and Dee headed out of the building. “JJ's got Drake now.”
 
“That doesn't stop him from tackling me every time he sees me,” Dee replied gloomily.
 
“Oh, that's just JJ,” Ryo replied dismissively.
 
“Unfortunately. I don't think I can take it right now if he pulls any of his crap….it'd be freaking painful….”
 
Ryo laughed and moved closer so that he could slip his hand through Dee's good one. The other was encased in an Ace bandage to keep his wrist still. “So since when do you actually have patience with Rose?”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“Well, it's just….I've noticed lately that you've stopped being openly hostile when it comes to him, and….it freaks me out, to be honest.”
 
It was Dee's turn to laugh now. “You wanna beat your enemy, hit him where it hurts the most. Rose likes making me mad, so I've decided to stop getting mad. It's kinda fun, actually. Baiting him.”
 
“Yeah, everyone else seems to think so, too. What, is baiting the boss, like, the third most popular sport among cops these days?”
 
“Fourth, right after luge,” Dee replied seriously as he got into their car.
 
“Well, don't let me stop you. It's fun to watch,” Ryo stated, smiling as he got in behind the wheel. “Though it'll probably get you fired, leaving you unemployed and therefore completely dependent on me….and Bikky when he gets a job.”
 
“Bite me.”
 
“Is that an open invitation?” Ryo asked mischievously.
 
Dee grinned as he started the car and then placed his undamaged hand on the wheel. “You get more like me every day,” he stated proudly.
 
---
 
“Why, why, would you drag me into work at this ungodly hour?” Dee moaned, his voice muffled due to the fact that his head was resting on the desk. Under normal circumstances, it would be on his arms, but they were still heavily bandaged. The painkillers he was taking had killed most of the pain, but he wasn't exactly overly eager to bring it back.
 
Ryo laughed. “It's not that early.”
 
“Sun ain't even warm yet and here we are, already buried in papers. I hate you.”
 
JJ chose that very inopportune moment to throw the office door open and sing, “Good moooooooorning!” at the top of his lungs.
 
Dee groaned. “Throw something sharp at him.”
 
Ryo laughed again. “Morning, JJ. Where's Drake?”
 
“Oh, he's—”
 
“Morning, all,” Drake greeted them, appearing behind JJ in the doorway. “I come bearing coffee.”
 
Dee perked up immediately. “Ryo, would you be terribly upset if I left you for Drake?”
 
“If you can get him away from JJ, I say go for it,” Ryo replied as he turned the computer on.
 
“Ah ah ah, stud,” JJ said cheerfully, passing Dee a take-out cup of coffee and a muffin as he wrapped one arm around Drake's waist. “Hands off. I found him first, this one's mine.”
 
A faint tint of red touched Drake's cheeks; he still hadn't gotten used to people knowing that he was bisexual, so the fact that one man was defending him against another was a little hard to grasp.
 
“Like I want him,” Dee said, taking a sip of coffee. “Oh my God, this is good. Where did you find this stuff? They don't make it like this in the precinct.”
 
“New diner just opened up about a minute and a half away from here,” Drake explained, slipping out of JJ's one-armed embrace and taking a cup of coffee. “Not a lot of diners around here and I'm not really a diner guy, but this place is good. JJ, did you get my jelly doughnut?”
 
“Yeah, right here,” JJ replied, handing the doughnut to Drake.
 
Dee, meanwhile, had already polished off his muffin and was looking around eagerly.
 
“There aren't anymore,” Drake informed him, as though reading his mind.
 
“Okay, that muffin wasn't nearly enough,” Dee replied, standing up. “We don't officially have to be in here for awhile yet. I say we go to this diner for breakfast….I'm starved. Ryo wouldn't let me eat this morning.”
 
“It's not my fault you wouldn't get up,” Ryo told him. “And we have work to do, Dee. As foreign as that idea might be to you.”
 
“Aw, where's the love, Ryo?”
 
“I left it with Leslie from Juvenile Crimes,” the blond replied absentmindedly as he flipped through a case file.
 
“Nice. Come on, Ryo….just an hour for breakfast and I promise to work myself halfway to writer's cramp when we get back.”
“Well, that's more than you usually do.”
 
“Now you sound like Rose.”
 
“That's nice, Dee. Get to work. All of you.”
 
“Do you….ever have any fun?” Dee asked.
 
“I'm choosing not to answer that,” Ryo said, smiling slightly as he gathered some papers from the desk. “I'm gonna go run and make some copies of these. In the meantime, Dee, you can fill them in on the absolutely nothing we have so far while you guys try to get all this into something resembling order.”
 
The other three just blinked at him, and Ryo paused in the doorway and turned back to them.
 
Now!”
 
JJ and Drake, who had been listening to the argument with interest as they ate their doughnuts, immediately jumped to attention, and they began to gather papers and attempt to categorize them.
 
Dee shook his head slightly as he began to help, albeit more slowly than his fellow officers. Ryo always managed to do that to people. He always got them to work even when they were at their laziest. Ryo said jump, people asked how high. He would undoubtedly be taking the place of the Chief eventually, which didn't exactly improve Dee's outlook on his job. Just because he and Ryo were truly, madly, deeply in love didn't mean Ryo was likely to let Dee slack off. In fact, if he ever had to answer to Chief MacLean, his job would probably become even harder than it already was.
 
Cheery thought.
 
---
 
“Aha!”
 
Dee and Drake jerked out of their positions with their heads on their desks, Dee yelping at the sharp movement, and JJ swiveled in his chair to look over at Ryo.
 
“I wasn't asleep….” Dee muttered stupidly, trying to turn in the chair without actually turning the chair itself away from the desk, and then wincing as the jerking motion sent sharp pains shooting through his body. Looked like his painkillers were wearing off.
 
Ryo ignored him. “I've been checking into other New York precinct files, and I found a record for a guy named Robert Jarvis. He has a brother named Russell. Might give us something to go on.”
 
“What was he arrested for?”
 
“Just petty stuff, mostly. Robbery, grand theft auto, disturbance of the peace…. He's got a clean record for the past ten years, though. Hey….that's interesting….”
 
“What?”
 
“I found this newspaper article from an old court case. This Robert apparently got in trouble for some pretty major crimes. The press never got any information on the bigger ones, but it says here that his lawyer got him off with promises that he would help the police on any cases involving people he knew—apparently he had some shady connections of some sort. Basically he got off on good faith, if the press is to be believed on this one.”
 
“You got an address?”
 
“Right here.” Ryo was already scribbling something down on a piece of paper as he spoke. “Dee, you and I can go over to his place tomorrow and see if we can get something out of him about a brother.”
“Great, can we go home now?” Drake asked pleadingly.
 
Ryo laughed. “Yes, we can go home now.”
 
“Good. I thought you were gonna keep us in here till our next shift….” JJ said.
 
“Oh, come on, it isn't that late—” Then Ryo got a glimpse of the clock, and grinned sheepishly. “Oops.”
 
---
 
“I'll bring the car around,” JJ told Drake outside the precinct. The silver-haired officer was much calmer than usual, probably due to the fact that he could hardly keep his eyes open. Once he had left, the other three stayed behind and started to discuss the fine points of the case.
 
None of them suspected that anything could happen now.
 
Once he was in the car, JJ leaned forward to rest his forehead on the wheel for a moment. He really was very tired….
 
It was then that his mind registered a quiet beeping sound, coming from somewhere in the car. Blinking, he slowly lifted his head and focused. It seemed to be coming from the glove compartment….
 
If his brain had been in full working mode at the moment, he would have known instantly what the sound was. However, it wasn't until he opened the glove compartment that he became fully awake. His hand fumbled for the door handle, and he flung it open, throwing himself out of the car just as the vehicle and a large amount of the area around it were engulfed in flames….
 
---
 
Drake was moving before his mind had fully registered what had happened. He didn't even realize that Dee and Ryo were two steps behind him; his entire world had shrunk to the fire, the twisted blob of metal that had been the car, and the prone figure that was lying dangerously close to the inferno.
 
“JJ?” Drake squeaked, hesitating to touch the man who was flung at strange angles on the ground. Blood poured alarmingly from a gash/dent in JJ's head, but Drake couldn't bring himself to assess the rest of the damage as he at last threw aside all practicality and drew the man—his lover—into his arms. “Get an ambulance,” he said tersely. Dee was kneeling beside him, holding one of JJ's hands so tightly that his knuckles were white, so Drake turned helplessly to Ryo. His voice rose to a terrified, anguished yell. “Get an ambulance now!”