Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Jane Doe ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Come on, Rose. Where do you want her to stay? In jail? The hospital? How about we throw her back out on the street."

"Ryo…"

"Let her stay with me until we find somewhere decent for her, or until we find the rapist."

Berkeley Rose sighed. "I'll give you a month. Hopefully you and that lazy slug you call a partner will have caught the guy by then."

"Thank you!" Ryo turned around and walked back to his desk. "Dee, Rose is letting Jane stay with me until we solve the case."

"Yeah, I heard. I also heard the `lazy slug' comment, too."

Ryo chuckled.

Dee shook his head. "Well, the doctor said Jane could be released today, right?"

"Yeah, I was going to pick her up after work. Care to join me?"

"Oh, you have no idea how good that sounded to me."

"Dee!"

"I'm just kidding, jeez! But yeah, I'll help you move her in."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"All right Jane, welcome to `chez de Ryo'," Dee said, leading the way into Ryo's apartment.

Bikky greeted them. "Hi, I'm Bikky. Nice to meet you. There, can I go now?"

Ryo rolled his eyes. "Fine, fine. Just be back by 10pm!"

"How much did you have to pay him to say that?" Dee asked.

"Dee! Jane, you can have Bikky's room for now. He'll sleep on the couch or with me."

Jane wandered through the apartment, checking things out. Appearing satisfied, she sat down on the couch.

Dee and Ryo looked at each other. "Now what?" Dee asked.

"Well, I was going to make dinner. Is spaghetti okay with you guys?"

"You could make anything, Ryo, and I'd eat it," Dee said, smirking.

Ryo gave a long suffering sigh. "Jane?"

She gave a small nod.

"Well, at least we know she's not deaf."

"Dee! While I'm making dinner, you go keep her company."

"How am I supposed to keep a mute company? Start a one sided conversation?"

"Dee…"

"All right! Jeez." He sauntered into the living room and sat next to Jane on the couch. "You know, you can turn on the TV." He sighed when she made no move to do so. "Neither one of us are going to hurt you. I guess you can consider this your home for a while, so make yourself comfortable. Ryo'll take care of you. He takes care of Bikky just fine, and that brat's got almost as many problems as you do. He was the son of a dead drug dealer, and Ryo took him in. He also paid Cal's father's bail money, too. Cal's Bikky's `girlfriend'. I'm sure you'll meet her soon. Man, this *is* turning into a one sided conversation! Ryo! Is dinner ready yet?"

"It's been like two minutes, Dee."

Dee grumbled under his breath. "I really wish you'd talk. I feel like I'm talking to myself here." He jumped when he felt a hand on his arm.

Jane was looking at him intently, urging him with her eyes to go on.

"Huh. I suppose I can tell you a little about everyone you're likely to meet around here. Let's see. Well, Commissioner Berkeley Rose will probably show up sooner or later. You may have seen him before. Tall guy, blue eyes, glasses, blond hair. He's got the hots for Ryo, but too bad! Ryo's mine! You might see JJ, too, but I hope not. He thinks there's something between me and him. There isn't! Don't let him fool you! I've only got eyes for Ryo!"

Jane kept looking at him, only she seemed slightly amused.

"Yeah, make fun of me. He ignores me half the time anyways. Bikky thinks I'm just trying to get into Ryo's pants, but that isn't it. Well, not totally. I don't know what it is about him…I don't even know why I'm telling you this. It's not like it's a big secret about how I feel. I'm sure Ryo knows. Hell, probably all of New York City knows by now. He's shown affection for me before, like when we went on vacation and he actually initiated a kiss between us. I just don't know why he always pulls away when we start to get a little more…intimate. What do you think is wrong with him?"

Jane, of course, was silent.

"I forgot who I was dealing with. Is it me? Ah what the hell. I'm sure you don't want to hear about it." Dee leaned back and sighed.

Jane touched his arm again to get his attention.

"What?"

She pointed at him, and then shook her head.

"It's not me?"

She nodded.

"Well, I guess that's a little comforting."

"Dee, Jane! Dinner's ready!"

The three of them sat at the table in relative silence.

"So, what did you and Jane talk about?" Ryo asked.

"Nothing, really. I just warned her about Rose and JJ and gave her a little background on you and Bikky and Cal."

"That's nice. Anything else?"

Jane pointed at Ryo.

"You talked about me?" Ryo chuckled. "Nothing too embarrassing, I hope."

Then she pointed at Dee.

Dee had a forkful of spaghetti halfway to his mouth. It froze. Ryo was wiping his mouth on a napkin. It stayed there for a good thirty seconds before he put it down.

"What did you tell her Dee?" Ryo's voice had an edge to it.

"Nothing! I swear! Well, nothing that you don't already know! For the most part, anyways!"

Jane looked like she was trying not to laugh. She waved her hand to get their attention and then pointed at the door, herself, and made a walking motion with her fingers.

"No, you don't have to leave," Ryo sighed.

"It's not my fault. You told me to have a one sided conversation with her. I just talked. Besides, it's not like she's going to *tell* anybody about this! It's still a secret."

"That's not it, Dee. I just wish you hadn't told her when she's probably got a lot of other things on her mind. She doesn't need to be worrying about our love life."

"We've got one?" Dee asked excitedly. ~Shitchyeah! I'm making progress!~

"You know what I meant," he said. He looked over at Jane who was shaking her head.

"See! She doesn't mind at all."

Ryo groaned in defeat. Jane patted his shoulder comfortingly. "This is all your fault, you know."

Jane only smiled.

DarkHorse says: Only a wee bit sappy. Once I get rolling on this story, the plot will (hopefully) develop. By the way "shitchyeah" is a combo of shit and yeah. I was thinking Jay and Silent Bob: "Shitchyeah! We gotsta get paid!"