Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Jane Doe ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"So? Is she talking yet?"

"Commissioner, it's only been a week. I'm just starting to get her to trust me. Besides, even if she wanted to talk, she just *can't*, and there's nothing I can do to make her."

"Well, without her, this guy's going to get away from us!"

"I know that! But there's nothing I can do about her! Dee and I are pursuing other leads right now, and giving Jane time to heal and rest."

"We don't have that time, Ryo."

"Why? I know we need to catch this guy, but I'm not going to do it at the expense of Jane's sanity."

"I told the media we had a witness."

"You what?!"

"I had to. With pressure from the mayor and the general public, I had to let them know that we were making some sort of progress."

"But the witness can't talk! What happens when the media comes looking for her? Huh? What happens when they find her and try to talk to her? They're going to find out that she's mute, and that's not going to go over real well. We don't really have a witness!"

"Ryo, look, I'm sorry-"

"No, I don't think you are. You're just trying to save your own ass. You could have told them anything but that we had a witness. Now it's only a matter of time before the media finds her. I hope you're happy. You pretty much just screwed over the entire case." With that, Ryo turned on his heel and stalked out of Rose's office.

Dee whistled. "Way to go Ryo!"

"Shut up. I can't believe he would do something like this! To Jane!"

A little taken aback by being told to shut up (especially by Ryo), Dee said, "C'mon. It's not that bad. The media isn't going to find her today or even tomorrow. We can call the hospital and tell them not to say anything. We'll let Bikky know not to let anyone in unless it's you or me, and not to say anything about Jane."

"Dee, no matter how many precautions we take, someone is going to find her. I understand that Rose had to do something, but this was just...I've gotta go talk to Jane," Ryo said, and grabbed his coat.

Dee, of course, got up as well. "I'm comin' too. Maybe if they're on to your place, we can hide her at mine. It won't be as nice, but it'll be something."

"Thanks, Dee, I appreciate that," Ryo said and smiled at his partner.

"I wish you would smile like that at me more often. Be still my heart!"

Ryo gave Dee a disbelieving look, and then rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"What?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~

"Jane?" Ryo called as they walked into the apartment.

She poked her head out of the bathroom and held up a finger. She ducked back inside.

Dee looked at his watch. "It's almost one o'clock and she's just now taking a shower? What a bum."

"Dee!"

They waited around for a few more minutes before Jane, with a towel wrapped around her head, finally got out of the bathroom.

They sat down, and Ryo began. "Jane, I've got some bad news. It turns out that our idiot Commissioner told the media that we had a witness. He didn't give them any details, but it's only a matter of time before they find you here. When that happens, Dee's offered to let you stay at his place, or maybe we can work something else out."

She nodded her head and pointed at Dee.

"You'll stay with him when it comes to that? Good."

Jane looked thoughtful for a minute, and then got up and went to the kitchen. She came back with a pencil and paper. She scribbled on it for a second before handing it to Ryo.

"'Let me "talk" to the Commissioner.' Jane, I don't know if that's such a good idea. If someone sees you coming in with us, they'll put two and two together."

"Wait a minute, Ryo," Dee said, and turned to Jane, "Why haven't you written to us before? It'd be a lot easier than trying to figure out hand signals! And you could tell us your real name, and..." he trailed off as he saw the look in Jane's eyes.

"Jane? Is something wrong?" Ryo asked, seeing the look as well.

She waved her hand, dismissing the question. She got up and went to her room (which was actually Bikky's) and returned a few minutes later with her wet hair combed and pulled into a ponytail. She grabbed her coat (which was actually one of Ryo's) and stood in front of the door impatiently.

"I guess she wants to go," Dee said.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The three walked into the precinct and made their way to Rose's office. Jane pretty much just barged in. Rose was on the phone, and when he saw who just came in, he ended the call.

"What's going on? Why is she here?" He asked Dee and Ryo, and not looking at Jane.

She waved her hand to get his attention. When she had it, she flipped him off and shook her head in disgust before walking out. Ryo stood there with his mouth open in shock, and Dee was trying not to laugh.

Rose, for his part, looked confused, as if wondering what the hell just happened.

"Well," Dee said with a chuckle. "It looks like we know how Jane feels about the situation.