Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected II ❯ Indecision ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: The Unexpected II
Chapter 1
Rating: R
Fandom: FAKE
Pairings: Ryo/Dee, Dee/Ryo
Warnings: Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
Summary: Starts off 3 weeks after “The Unexpected I”. Planning a wedding is not as easy as Ryo and Dee first thought.
Disclaimer: FAKE is not mine. We have Sanami Matoh for giving us Dee, Ryo and the rest of the 27th precinct characters. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
 
January 21, 2006
 
 
Dee sat at the breakfast bar in the kitchen, staring in disbelief at the packet Ryo had left for him. The services the Waldorf-Astoria offered in their wedding package, included wedding ceremony, reception hall, catering and even offered an in-house photographer. He had to admit that an atrium was a good place for the ceremony. He would have preferred an outdoor ceremony, but if he wanted to get married before he would start bulging out of his wedding suit, it would be too cold. In fact, he had given Ryo a cut off date of March 26th to get married. Sooner would be better.
 
In the past week, Dee found himself wishing more and more that they had run off to Las Vegas on Christmas day. He let out a heavy sigh. Since then, things got complicated. It was already the end of January and they were no closer to having anything firmed for the wedding, including a wedding date.
 
He could not entirely blame Ryo for letting his family place ideas in his head for what type of wedding his intended wanted lately. Dee was able to be talked out of eloping easily because he did want a wedding. Dee wanted for him and Ryo to stand up before their families and friends and pledge their love and commitment to each other.
 
Lately, the only things they agreed on were the very basics. Who their best man would be, who was to be in the wedding party. Almost agreed - they both wanted the same people, but Ryo seemed to feel they needed a few more in their wedding party. Ryo explained how he wanted all the men in matching tuxedoes and the women in matching gowns, which were to be selected by them. Dee doubted they would have the time to sort out those details.
 
Their simple wedding had somehow blossomed into a major social event. Dee had maybe 20, 25 at the most, guests on his side. There were those they both knew or worked with. Then there was Ryo's guest list. Dee was certain most of Ryo's family would not show, but there were still many friends of the family. Most of the friends were successful in the art world and would have no problem with Ryo marrying a man. The more Dee thought about it, the more he knew he originally saw the total guests to attend to be those at the New Year's Eve party plus a few others who could not make it. The number of total people listed on the page in a binder Ryo made up especially for wedding planning overwhelmed Dee.
 
Dee sighed, looking at the portfolio again and suddenly pushed it to the side. There were others in a pile just like that one - all were places where rich people married. Even if through the years, Dee had reached the point where financially he was comfortable and not living paycheck to paycheck, he was not rich. Far from it. Ryo had more money than he had because of his family, but Ryo was not rich either. Very upper middle class could describe Ryo's holdings. Most of his parents assets were frozen because of the circumstances of their deaths. Ryo had inherited a fraction of what he should have. However the majority of the others in Ryo's family had done very well and could be called rich.
 
It was Elena who started to turn simple into grandiose. She's the one who started to talk about a large scale wedding. At first Ryo balked, but in the last week he had changed his mind rapidly. Dee picked up another portfolio for some estate house on Long Island used for special functions. He tossed that folder aside without giving it a second glance, his irritation growing.
 
He stood up from the table to make some tea and get a yogurt. Leaning against the counter near the stove, he ate his yogurt, while wondering what had happened. They had pretty much been in agreement that the ceremony would be outdoors or in a small chapel. Dee wanted a Christian ceremony, preferably Catholic. Not being a particularly religious man himself, Ryo did not care one way or another and had originally allowed Dee to choose the basis for the ceremony. Within the last week, they had a few arguments because of the cost of the wedding, the extravagant things Ryo decided they had to have.
 
What had happened to the spend thrifty, practical man Ryo was known to be? Dee could not understand how he had found himself as the one taking the stand that they could not afford it. And if somehow they could, Dee would rather use the money toward the baby and Bikky, assuring their children were provided for comfortably.
 
Dee really did not want to think about it, but the unfortunate fact was before they all knew it, Bikky would be applying to colleges. At least Dee and Ryo hoped he would be able to get accepted into a college. The one thing both men did not want to see would be Bikky not going to college only because he could not afford it.
 
He finished the yogurt and absently rubbed the swell of his abdomen under his sweat pants. In the weeks since his settling, the slight bump gave way to a gentle curve. He was still able to conceal it depending on how he dressed. Whenever he looked in the mirror with no top on, there was no denying he was pregnant.
 
He lifted his white baggy tee-shirt to run his hand along the curve, once again awed that there was a tiny life that Ryo and he had created. The rest of the pregnancy could not go fast enough for him. Not only to get past the being pregnant part, but he was anxious to see their baby, hold him or her in his arms. The pregnancy had taken both him and Ryo by complete surprise. Since then, both men started to feel as if it had to happen. They both wanted this baby.
 
A couple of weeks earlier Dee had decided he wanted to know the baby's sex beforehand. From the start, Ryo made it clear the choice would be Dee's. He'd accept whatever Dee decided. A few days later, Dee had admitted there was no way he would wait until the baby's birth to find out. He wanted to know if the baby growing inside him was a girl or a boy. He wanted them to pick a name and use it when referring to the baby, or when talking to the baby. Ryo had already started to talk to his swelling belly as they cuddled. Dee realized he did quite a bit of talking himself, especially when he was alone. They needed to know what they were having and give the growing fetus an identity already.
 
Currently Ryo was out with his Elena, looking over nursery furniture. Dee fumed about that. Earlier he felt too ill to care. Now thinking about it, Ryo had gone out with his aunt while Dee rested to get an idea of what to register for and pick out the nursery items. Ryo told Dee that one day soon, he'd take Dee to look over the ones Ryo liked to choose.
 
Now it grated on Dee.
 
By the time Ryo returned, without Elena, who had gone home after dropping her nephew off, Dee was beyond merely fuming.
 
He had gone through each portfolio long enough to question Ryo's sanity. Simple and beautiful Dee had kept saying. There was nothing simple about the places Ryo wanted Dee to choose from.
 
Another thing that irked Dee. They were supposed to select places together, then make a final decision. They had started to do that, but then Elena started to show Ryo her idea of what a wedding should be. When it came to narrowing down the selections Dee and Ryo had chosen, Ryo suddenly announced he did not like any of them. That's when the madness started.
 
Dee could not deny the wedding would be beautiful in any of those places he was supposed to choose from. He caught himself actually reading the information to the Hudson Castle. He stopped himself, because he wanted to be married in New York City, preferably Manhattan. To appease Ryo, Dee made two main piles: one for out of the city locations and the other for within the city locations. He wanted the out of the city pile to be gone the next day. Anything in Long Island and Westchester County was out. If they were out, then anything in Upstate or Connecticut was definitely out.
 
Dee was sitting on the couch, nibbling on yogurt Pocky when Ryo entered the living room. He placed a new stack of flyers and folders on the coffee table and sat next to Dee, kissing him in greeting.
 
Mad as he was, Dee found he could not resist the kiss.
 
Resting his head against Dee's, Ryo asked, “How are you feeling?”
 
“Fine,” Dee replied. He had been feeling fine for hours.
 
“Where's Biks?”
 
“Carol's. I gave him money so they could go to the movies. They're going to be at her place for a bit after.”
 
Ryo nodded. “As happy as he is about things, I guess talking about weddings and nurseries bore him.”
 
Dee shrugged. “A little.”
 
Ryo kissed Dee again and indicated the stack on the coffee table. `You should see some of the nursery sets, Dee,” he said, excitement in his voice. “Too bad you couldn't go.”
 
Dee shrugged again, pulling away from Ryo to stand. When Ryo looked up, Dee said, “Dinner is about ready. I need to look in on it.”
 
“You didn't have to, Dee,” Ryo said, getting up to follow him into the kitchen.
 
“Don't worry. I told you, I'm fine.” As he lifted the lid to stir the stew, he added, “If you had waited for a bit, you would have known I was feeling better shortly after you left.”
 
“I wanted to wait, but Elena didn't have much time, and you know she made the trip here to help us select baby furniture.”
 
“Yes, of course. Because two grown men can't do that on their own,” Dee grumbled. “Besides, everyone knows you can't possibly shop for a baby in five hours.”
 
“Dee,” Ryo sighed patiently.
 
“I asked you to wait, but no!” Dee rambled on. “Because if you don't go today, when our baby is born in July, it won't have a place to sleep or clothes to wear.”
 
“C'mon, Dee. You know I don't think that. It was just getting ideas,” Ryo replied, keeping his voice level. Dee was in a mood. They had been showing up quite frequently in the last two weeks, especially in the last.
 
Unlike in a female pregnancy when mood swings usually would wind down by the second trimester, for Carriers they would continue. Ryo learned how into the second trimester, they could go away for a while and suddenly return. There was no pattern for it. He just had to practice patience, understanding, and how to gauge them for the best way to handle a situation.
 
He learned very quickly to let Dee ramble on and then attempt to sincerely soothe him. If Dee felt Ryo was just placating him to quiet him down, it would be worse. Ryo found that out too when he almost found himself sleeping in the guest room 4 nights ago.
 
Dee snorted. More ideas for him to choose from. If the choices for the baby were anything like the wedding, Dee felt he would scream.
 
Ryo came up behind him. As Dee continued to stir the stew. Ryo started to rub his back soothingly. “Whenever you're ready, you can narrow down what we're getting for the nursery.”
 
Dee gritted his teeth. Damn, if only Ryo had kept his mouth shut, he thought. What his lover was doing felt good. Ryo always seemed to know just the right areas to give attention to. “Whatever,” he mumbled, placing the stirring spoon on a holder and covering the pot.
 
He turned to find himself in Ryo's arms. His sometimes oblivious partner was putting Dee's mood down as grumpiness and irritability caused by pregnancy. Dee felt he had a reason to be grumpy and irritable in the last week.
 
First the wedding was taken out of his control, now buying items for the baby. His baby - the one he was carrying. As if being more or less bound to a desk for the last 3 weeks at work was not enough to be grumpy about.
 
“Look, I know your aunt means well and I'm glad she's so excited, but….” Dee shrugged. “I need some control, Ryo.”
 
“Dee, she's only helping us. The final choices will be up to us. How is that not having control?”
 
“Plenty.” When Ryo gave him an annoyed look, he let out a heavy sigh. “You know what? Suddenly I don't feel so good.” He leaned over to lightly kiss Ryo. “Enjoy dinner. I'm going to bed.”
 
Annoyance changed to concern. “Again? At this time of the night?”
 
Dee nodded wearily, clamping down on his irritability. They had five arguments in the past four days. He did not feel like arguing again. He did not want to fight with Ryo.
 
Ryo pulled Dee into his arms again, caressing the curve of Dee's abdomen through the cotton of his tee-shirt. “Did you eat anything today? Healthy, that is.”
 
“Yeah. I ate, healthy and junk.” He gave Ryo a small grin that he actually felt. “We're going to need more yogurt.”
 
“No worries. I'll go out tonight after dinner and get some for you.” Ryo smiled lovingly at Dee. “And I'll be waking you up in a few hours and make sure you eat a little. You'll be up again in the middle of the night if you don't.”
 
Dee's mood shifted rapidly. How could he stay mad at Ryo? Especially when his lover was being so kind and loving. Dee realized he was leaning into Ryo's hold on him, whatever sickness he really did feel gone under the tender strokes Ryo's hand made across his stomach and abs.
 
“Fine,” Dee said with a wider grin. “You can wake me up and feed me.”
 
Ryo's smile grew. “Good. Then you know what else?”
 
Dee rested his head against Ryo's. It was no wonder he was never able to stay mad at Ryo for long. “Hmm?” he asked.
 
His lips next to Dee's ear, Ryo replied, “Going to sleep right after eating will only make you as sick as if you didn't eat. So I'm going to keep you up for a while after.”
 
Dee knew he did need to rest a bit, or he would have said something about being up already - of another sort.
 
As if reading his mind, Ryo chuckled. “Later, sexy. You rest now, and we'll play later.”
 
When Ryo's lips searched out Dee's mouth, Dee met him halfway.
 
Ryo continued to stroke Dee's belly with one hand, while his other played with dark hair as they kissed. Dee realized he was no longer feeling tired or had a need to get away from Ryo. His irritation had melted as Ryo deepened the kiss. Make love, not war Dee once said was his motto. He definitely would rather do more of what he was doing than fighting with the man he loved.
 
He backed himself against the counter, noticing it was the lower counter. His mind went back to almost three months ago and remembered what other uses there were for that counter. Placing his arms around Ryo's neck, Dee used his lover for leverage as he hoisted himself to sit on the counter. Ryo moved in synch with him as he spread his legs to allow his lover to stand between them, Ryo pressing his body against Dee's. Neither man broke the kiss.
 
Ryo moved away enough so his hands could move up Dee's shirt. Dee sighed into the current kiss as Ryo's talented fingers once again made him feel loved and desirable, despite the smooth, small but growing pooch where he once sported rippled abs.
 
“I love you,” Ryo intoned into the kiss.
 
“Love you too,” Dee replied, almost breathless.
 
Ryo's lips left Dee's mouth and started a trail leading down to where his hands were, causing Dee to sigh and softly moan. Ryo kissed his navel before dragging his tongue and lips along the curve. His eyes turned up to gaze at Dee.
 
“You're beautiful, Dee,” Ryo murmured reverently, his lips close to Dee's skin, causing the dark haired man to feel his lover's warm moist breath and the vibration of the sound.
 
Dee shivered, sighing.
 
Ryo stood up and kissing Dee's lips softly, said, “I should let you rest.”
 
Dee smiled, placing his lips against Ryo's for another brief kiss. “I'd rest better after you do what we both want you to do.” The next kiss was deeper, eliciting a moan from Ryo.
 
“Here?” Ryo asked.
 
Dee laughed. “Why not here? Bikky won't be home until later. Not to mention you had the idea first and this is the same spot where our activities lead to….” He covered the hands still caressing his stomach, pressing them more against his skin, “this.”
 
He smiled, remembering what they had done in the kitchen that day - what Ryo had done to him on the very same counter he sat on, and then after a shower and more foreplay, Ryo had done the same to Dee in their bed. His mouth sought out Ryo's for another kiss.
 
Ryo pulled away from the kiss with a regretful sigh. “Dee, we shouldn't yet. Get some rest first.”
 
“But I'm fine,” Dee protested, pulling Ryo to hold him close.
 
Ryo shook his head and gently pried himself from Dee's grasp. “You think you are, but soon enough though you'll know better. We're not going to go through that again, Dee. Once was enough to learn. Now,” he chided softly, pulling Dee from the counter, “rest first. Play time later.”
 
Dee pouted for a reply.
 
Ryo chuckled. “It's not going to work this time, baby. Go!” He swatted Dee's ass.
 
Dee yelped a little in surprise, then grinned. “Keep doing that and I'm not going anywhere.”
 
“Then you'd definitely need your rest first,” Ryo said, holding his ground. He leaned close to Dee. “Go. Please? Half hour, okay? I'll wake you up. I promise you'll like the way I wake you up.”
 
Dee's grin grew. “Damn, you drive a hard bargain, but deal.” He closed the small distance to lightly kiss Ryo, who returned the kiss. “Half hour.”
 
Ryo nodded and smiled as he watched Dee head out of the kitchen.
 
---------------------------------------------
 
While Dee slept, Ryo sat at the table, going through the folders he had been leaving for Dee. He noticed Dee had sorted them into two piles, so he started to look them over to determine the common factor for the sort. Being a detective, it did not take Ryo long to notice one pile had everything outside of New York City and the other was everything within. A little more thought about the man Ryo loved, and he found himself picking up the pile of out of area places to dump in the trash.
 
“Well, there's still lots of places in the city to choose from,” he mused as he stared at the now filled trash bin.
 
He sighed as he went back to the table, resolving not to favor himself to one location. That was to be Dee's choice. Now that he had one pile to go through, Ryo hoped Dee would stop shifting through it all and finally make some choices.
 
Dee had told Ryo to pick a wedding date and he suspected some of Dee's crankiness of late was due to his not having one yet. Ryo wondered if Dee realized it was not as easy as that, especially with their time factor. If they were to plan this wedding for a year or so, then they could easily pick a date. Knowing the cut off date Dee had given him, Ryo needed his partner to give him his first and alternate choices for the ceremony, so he could start calling and get a list of what dates were open within the time frame for each place. Next would be to do the same for the location.
 
Ryo sighed, resolving that at some point that night, he was going to get it across to Dee why they needed selections first to determine a date.
 
He got up to check the stew, noting it was almost done. He put the flame down low for a slow simmer. Another ten minutes and he would be waking Dee. He would turn it off then, but the stew should be ready and still warm by the time they sat down to eat. After dinner, he would talk to Dee about the wedding. If Dee got into a mood over what Ryo had to say, he decided to use that time to make a run to the store to pick up more yogurt for Dee and anything else they might need.
 
---------------------------------------------
 
Dinner was pleasant, and Ryo found he could not mention anything about wedding plans or baby items as they ate. Later, he told himself. Most of dinner was in comfortable silence, sharing glances or smiles as they ate.
 
Ryo had kept true to his word in waking Dee up. By the time the dark haired man had opened his eyes, he was letting out a moan. Ryo had the top to Dee's silk pajamas open and was kissing along Dee's collar downward to his stomach. Ryo sensed some urgency in Dee, but judged that despite his partner's protests otherwise, Dee was not up to full activities that night. Ryo went down on Dee, then allowed Dee to return the favor. There was still an afterglow between them as they stepped out of a shower which included plenty of kissing and holding.
 
After dinner, Dee went to relax on the couch, while Ryo made a quick run to the store. He came back to find Dee still watching television from the couch. Ryo made himself comfortable as they watched the movie. Dee had informed him that while he was out, Bikky called asking if he could spend the night at Carol's, and after speaking with Elina, told the boy it would be okay.
 
Ryo looked up from his spot in the easy chair to notice Dee was no longer watching the TV, his eyes closed and his mouth slack in a way which told Ryo that Dee was dozing off. He got up from his place to sit on the floor next to the couch and watched Dee from that position, a soft smile on his face.
 
---------------------------------------------
 
January 22, 2006
 
Dee sat at the dining room table, reading a book that was a popular title for expectant carriers Vince had suggested he read. He shifted a little, his elbow swiping against the pile of folders and portfolios on wedding venues. He looked up at it for a moment, then going back to his reading, he shoved the pile across the table, out of his way.
 
Ryo walked into the dining room from the living room, yawning. His hair was still rumpled and he wore pajamas. He spotted Dee at the table and went to him.
 
“Mornin' baby,” he said softly. He leaned over to kiss Dee, who happily returned the kiss. Ryo leaned down further to kiss Dee's belly. “Morning, chibi.” He straightened up, running his fingers through Dee's hair. “How are you feeling?” he asked.
 
Dee smiled, leaning back in his chair, leaving the book still open on the table. “Good. I even slept good last night and only one bathroom run.” He grinned up at Ryo.
 
“That's good to hear. For a moment I thought I actually slept through some things.” Ryo rubbed Dee's stomach. “You two hungry?” he asked.
 
Dee let out a contented sigh. “We had a snack, but we were waiting for lazy Papa to wake up before having breakfast.” He pulled Ryo down as he leaned up to kiss him again.
 
Ryo laughed after returning the kiss. “Okay, okay. Papa's gonna cook now,” he said merrily. He lightly kissed Dee's lips before going into the kitchen to start making breakfast.
 
Dee continued to read for a while, before placing his bookmark in the book and closing it. He stood up and stretched, before picking up his mug and going into the kitchen. He smiled as he saw Ryo already at the stove, cooking.
 
He picked up the teapot from the counter and poured himself more tea. “I made coffee,” he said to Ryo, “and I had only one little cup.”
 
Ryo turned his head to smile at Dee before his attention went back to their breakfast.
 
Dee put down his mug and picked up the one he had waiting for Ryo, filling it with coffee. He went to stand next to Ryo, offering him the mug. “Here baby.”
 
Ryo grinned, turning to face Dee and taking the mug. “Thank you.” He leaned to give Dee a kiss to go with his thanks. Then sipping on his coffee, he went back to finishing their breakfast. Not more than a minute later, Ryo asked, “Hey Dee?” He kept his eyes on the griddle.
 
Dee leaned against the counter, picking up his tea. He took a sip of it, looking over at Ryo. “Hm?”
 
“You picked a place yet?” Ryo asked.
 
Dee turned his attention from Ryo, his eyes on the minty liquid in his mug. “Um… still deciding,” he replied, uneasily.
 
Ryo sighed heavily. “It's been two weeks, Dee. What's the problem?”
 
Dee started to look uncomfortable, quickly taking another sip of tea more for something to do than actually wanting a drink.
 
“Dee,” Ryo cajoled.
 
Dee shrugged. “I… There's nothing that I particularly like,” he replied.
 
Ryo shook his head, setting the pan aside.
 
Dee let out a heavy sigh hearing the pan scrap across the burners.
 
“There's nothing you like?” he heard Ryo ask. Dee could tell Ryo was fighting to sound neutral.
 
Dee shrugged again.
 
Ryo sighed and shrugged as well. “Fine,” he stated. “We'll think of something.” He moved the pan back onto the burner with the flame and went back to making breakfast.
 
Dee swirled his tea around in his cup, watching the liquid go round and round in the cup as if it was the most fascinating thing he had seen. “Yeah,” he muttered, “like more over the top places Elena picks for you.” He lifted the mug to his lips and took a long drink.
 
Ryo's sigh was loud. “Dee, we've been over this. Elena was just giving me ideas.”
 
“Yeah,” Dee remarked. “A full stack of them. And I'm supposed to make a choice from one of them. Right. Just ideas.” He snorted. “I don't like them, Ryo.” His good mood from since he woke up made a sudden dive into grumpy.
 
“Fine, fine,” Ryo remarked, his tone clipped. “We'll think of something.”
 
Dee started to fume a little, his empty right hand starting to rub his tummy in a way that if Ryo looked at him, he would know Dee was upset.
 
Ryo did not look at Dee, his concentration on the stove, trying not to start slamming things around.
 
After a moment of uncomfortable silence, Dee quietly asked, “Don't you think that some of those places are just a little… too much?” He wanted to say he thought all of the places were, but managed to restrain himself.
 
Ryo raised an eyebrow at Dee's question. “I thought you wanted a big wedding?”
 
Dee's head moved sharply so he could glare at Ryo. “No. I didn't want a big wedding,” he snapped. “We both said, `small, simple and intimate.' Five hundred fuckin' guests of your family is not intimate!” His voice rose as he spoke on until he was almost shouting.
 
“Calm down,” Ryo warned. He lifted his head to stare at Dee.
 
Dee turned to set the mug down and place his hands flat on the counter, taking a few deep breaths in hopes to control him temper. “Look Ryo, of course I want a nice wedding. I want a beautiful wedding.”
 
. “You're being silly,” Ryo stated. “Besides, Rick, Elena and my grandparents are the only people I really want there.”
 
“Oh? Then what's that list in the wedding planner binder under guests? I only have 25 so far. You know, all the names Elena gave of who you just have to invite. I'm not the one being silly here.”
 
“Dee,” Ryo said, once again trying to sound patient, barely, “the family's paying for our wedding. I'm obliged to invite them.”
 
“Yeah, yeah, I know,” Dee grumped. He suppressed a growl, and opted for gritting his teeth instead. “Thank goodness most of them will turn it down because they wouldn't be caught dead at a gay wedding.”
 
“Plenty will come anyway.” Ryo picked up the spatula and started to shove the food in the pan around. “Besides, I want to show you off.”
 
Dee's head snapped up again. “Oh?” he asked heatedly. “I'm suddenly your prize to dangle off your arm or something?”
 
“Suddenly?” Ryo asked.
 
Dee shook his head and took long strides across the kitchen to the cabinet they kept their dishware in. Roughly he started to pull out plates, setting them down on the counter loudly.
 
“You're the father of my children,” Ryo growled, reaching the end of his patience, and his temper now rising. He spoke of Bikky, who Ryo and Dee jointly adopted, and the baby Dee was carrying. “You're going to be my husband. Why can't I show you off?”
 
Dee turned to face Ryo again, his face flushed from his own rising temper. “Because most of those bastards are probably just laughing at the freak here!” He pointed to himself with a flick of his thumb.
 
“Jesus Dee! Let's not start this again.” He threw the spatula into the pan and quickly went over to Dee. “Baby, calm down. Look, why don't we just hop a plane and go to Vegas?” he asked, placing his hands on Dee's shoulders. “And don't say things like that about yourself. You are not a freak.” He smiled up at Dee. “Baby, you're beautiful.”
 
Dee let out a long sigh. “I'm sorry. I know I'm not a freak. But there's people out there and sometimes they let it known what they think about Carriers, especially those who actually dare to carry. I know some of those biddy great aunts of yours will show up and talk. Just like you said they did at your father's funeral.”
 
“So?” Ryo asked. “Let `em talk. It'll piss them off more if you ignore them.” He grinned wickedly up at Dee, mischief twinkling in his dark eyes. “Or smush cake in their faces.”
 
Dee giggled at Ryo's last statement.
 
Ryo took that opportunity to slip his arms around Dee's waist and hug him. “Besides, think of all the money we'll get from them.”
 
Dee started to toy with the collar of Ryo's pajama top. “Look, I want a wedding, no matter how much easier it would be to run away to Vegas, or even just have a civil ceremony on the same day we get our license. I want a beautiful wedding, with us standing in front of all our friends and some family. But the stuff you want me to choose from is just….” Dee shrugged, at a loss for words for once. “I'm sorry. I wish I knew why. If I did, I'd tell you.”
 
“It's okay, darling,” Ryo assured him, wanting Dee to continue to calm down and remain calm. Smiling he leaned over to kiss Dee.
 
Dee returned the kiss. The kiss was just the brushing of lips, but it was enough to make Dee smile when they moved their heads apart. Dee grinned at Ryo. “If we invite them, do you think we can convince the spinster sisters to include the chibi in their wills?” He chuckled evilly.
 
Ryo laughed, rubbing his nose against Dee's. “Of course, sweetheart. We'll send out birth announcements to everyone too.”
 
Dee placed his arms around Ryo's waist and rested his head against Ryo's.
 
Smiling tenderly, Ryo moved one of his arms from Dee's waist to gently rub Dee's belly.
 
“I wish I wasn't being so foolish and want to get married before I really start showing,” Dee said wistfully. “I really really would love an outdoor wedding somewhere. But it's too cold.”
 
Ryo smiled. “Don't worry, love.”
 
Dee moved his head to give Ryo a rueful grin. “I just want to look handsome for you on our wedding day… instead of looking like some bloated cow.”
 
“Baby, for the millionth time, you're not fat. Or bloated, or anything like that.”
 
“I know, I know,” Dee said, then sighed. “But cameras add pounds to you. I'm gonna look fat in the pictures.”
 
Ryo shook his head. “Nope.” He smiled gently at Dee. “Never.”
 
Dee could not help grinning. “I can't win with you, huh?”
 
Ryo grinned back. “Nope.” He leaned up to kiss Dee. “Now where were you thinking for the wedding?”
 
Dee shrugged. “I really don't know.” He cocked his head a little to the side, still looking at Ryo. “Maybe if I had a date?” He raised his eyebrows.
 
“Well, I was thinking we'd decide on a place and see what they had open. Then pin down a date,” Ryo stated pragmatically.
 
Once again Dee let out a heavy sigh and pulled away from Ryo a bit. “I need something else than…” he gestured vaguely, “that out there to choose from.”
 
“Hm?” Ryo looked pointedly at him.
 
“That pile of wasted trees on our dining room table,” Dee clarified.
 
Ryo pressed his lips together, but reached out to run his fingers through Dee's hair.
 
“And those invitations,” Dee added. He shuddered just thinking about them.
 
Ryo smiled at Dee's reaction. “What about them?”
 
Dee rolled his eyes. “Look, I want a nice wedding. But I'm not high class, or some society boy, and I don't want to pretend to be. Isn't there something less? And if I see one more frilly, lacey invitation, I'm going to scream. Honestly, baby, you tell me. Is there any one of those invitations that you would pick if you had to?”
 
Ryo chuckled and shook his head. “I just want you to have the best, since you settled for me.”
 
Dee frowned a little at Ryo's comment. “I didn't `settle'. Trust me, if any of us did, it's you. But quite honestly, that doesn't matter anymore. We're in this together. Now, I want something that says me and you when someone sees them.”
 
Ryo smiled lovingly at Dee, stroking his partner's cheek. He appeared to be thinking.
 
“I know!” Dee remarked, laughing. “And invitation with a bullet hole through it.” He grinned at Ryo, waiting for the other's reaction.
 
“Or we could roll it up in a casing,” Ryo replied. “How's that?”
 
Dee laughed wickedly. “How about heart shaped handcuffs on them?”
 
“There's another idea,” Ryo said. “And that would take care of half the required guest list when they have strokes.” He pulled Dee close to him again. “Whatever you want for invitations is fine with me, baby.”
 
Dee rested his head on Ryo's shoulder for a few moments before lifting his head to gaze at Ryo. “Well, since we're making nice nice, can I ask you something other than the wedding?”
 
“Of course, Dee.”
 
“Or should I say, get something off my chest.”
 
“Anything, sweetheart.”
 
Dee took a deep breath. “Yesterday's shopping trip you made with Elena to look at baby things, I said yesterday that I appreciate her wanting to help and all, but…” He let out a long heavy sigh.
 
“You're still upset?” Ryo looked at Dee in concern.
 
Dee nodded. “Yeah, I am. This is our baby, Ryo. Yours and mine. It pissed me off yesterday that you two could go out and come back with more crap for me to sort through when all I want is to be part of making the first selection.”
 
Ryo stroked Dee's hair, smiling up at him. “Well, how about we go out tomorrow and I show you what I liked?”
 
“Only what you liked,” Dee stated. “Not what you nodded your head to Elena to keep her calm.”
 
“Of course. Only the things I liked.”
 
“And we're not really shopping now. Okay? Just getting ideas and nothing else.”
 
“That sounds good,” Ryo agreed.
 
Dee moved his head so he could kiss Ryo. “Hey?”
 
“Yeah?” Ryo asked, licking his lips.
 
“You want me to help you finish making breakfast?”
 
Ryo pulled away from Dee in alarm. “Shit! Breakfast!” He turned to look back at the stove and groaned when he saw the charred smoky remains of their breakfast.
 
Dee's face fell as he looked from the stove to Ryo. “Aw baby. I'm sorry.”
 
Ryo grinned, pulling Dee to him again. “Don't look like that, Dee. It's no big deal. Besides, I think I'll have a more entertaining breakfast now.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“When is Bikky coming back from Carol's?”
 
“Before lunch, I told him.”
 
“Good. Come on and help me get some things together.” He kissed Dee passionately. “So we can have breakfast in bed.”
 
“Oh?” Dee asked interested. “That sounds like a great idea. Let's go.”
 
---------------------------------------------
 
Later in the early afternoon, Dee sat in the living room, watching a football game. Part of his mind was on what was going on in the dining room. Ryo was sitting at the table, the pile of recently dejected folders before him as he spoke on the phone to his aunt.
 
Everything was just fine, Dee reflected. They eat breakfast in bed, had great sex, got out of bed for a snack, and lounged around the apartment, mostly cuddling with Ryo giving Dee's stomach lots of rubs and kisses. Then Elena called, and the more Ryo talked, the more it felt to Dee as if his partner had forgotten everything they discussed in the morning.
 
“I just don't understand it,” Ryo sighed. “He said he doesn't like any of the places. Actually half of them went into the trash last night. Dee wants to get married in the city. Preferably in Manhattan, but Queens or Brooklyn will work for him too.” Ryo let out a heavier sigh. “I don't get it. I have at least five places in my mind. No, he did not even start to look through the baby things. He says he wants to make the first and final selections. I know he thinks he has time, but I know Dee. He'll keep putting it off because we have time and before we know it, we'll be rushing like crazy getting the nursery ready.”
 
Dee growled, annoyed that Ryo could speak so casually while insulting him that way to his aunt. He stood up and stretched.
 
“Hey babe?” he called, poking his head into the dining room. When Ryo looked up, guilt flashing in his dark eyes while still talking on the phone, Dee said, “I'm going out for a walk. Don't know when I'll be back.”
 
Ryo spoke into the phone, “Hold on a moment, Elena.” To Dee, he said, “We're going to be leaving soon so we can catch our bus.” Ryo looked confused.
 
Dee understood why. Ryo knew Dee looked forward to their monthly excursions to Edgewater, NJ to shop at the Japanese marketplace there. It was a short ride by bus, which left from the Port Authority. They usually would end up taking a cab home from the Port Authority because they would have so many shopping bags, mostly filled with Japanese groceries. There would also be at least one bag from one of the other shops inside the marketplace.
 
Dee shook his head. The truth was, he needed to get away from Ryo again before he started shouting again, like he had done earlier that day. He opted for telling Ryo the next nearest truth instead. “I'm not in the mood to see all that sushi and other stuff that I can't eat.” He sighed. It sucked when you started to have a craving for something you can't eat.
 
“Then hang out in the bookstore, or one of the other shops. We do need a new everyday teapot anyway.”
 
“Nah. I'd smell it, want it, can't have it and become a double grouch. You have the list of what I want that I'm allowed to have, and I trust you know me enough to get anything else.”
 
Ryo frowned, studying Dee. “It's going to suck if you can't go at all through the pregnancy because of that.”
 
“Well, I'm hoping another time I'll be in a better mood and not wanting sushi so badly I can almost taste it. Bring back a katsudon bowl and some inari for me, if you don't mind.”
 
“Sure baby. It's going to be lonely without you there.” Ryo pouted, his disappointment evident.
 
Against his better judgment, Dee went into the living room and kissed Ryo. “If we weren't out of things I want and can't get in the city, I'd suggest holding off until a better day.” He smiled at Ryo. “You go do the Japanese shopping, and I'll do our Western shopping.” He chuckled. “Fitting, if you think about it.” He kissed Ryo again and while his mouth was near the handset his lover still held, he said,” Hello Elena.” He chuckled as he stood up. “I'll see you later tonight.”
 
He left Ryo in the dining room and grabbed his coat on the rack near the door and left their apartment.
 
Ryo sighed and went back to talking to his aunt, this time actually bitching about why Dee could not choose from such lovely wedding options, while his aunt agreed sympathetically.
 
Ryo wondered how he was to give Dee the wedding of his dreams with no limits, if Dee was not going to cooperate. He was mad and continued to vent to his aunt.
 
---------------------------------------------
 
Meanwhile, Bikky was standing outside his room with a frown. He had been listening to Ryo on the phone and then to his fathers talking. He had a bad feeling about things lately and he tried not to get upset.
 
He was caught still standing in the den when Ryo hung up the phone. Ryo saw him and convinced Bikky to join him, along with Carol, to the marketplace in New Jersey.
 
---------------------------------------------
 
As Dee walked around, enjoying being out and getting some exercise and not feeling ill, he got a call on his cell. Noticing the number, he grinned wickedly as he answered. “Hello, my lovely Sea Hag. What brings you to these parts now?”
 
“You think I can leave you and Ryo alone for long?” Diana asked.
 
Dee snorted. “Why are you really here?”
 
“Work, of course. And since I hear I can't pull you from your desk or I might risk the wrath of Ryo, I happen to have a stack of paperwork you might actually enjoy.”
 
Dee chuckled. “I know he's been pretty lenient on me lately, but if Rose hears you gave me a puzzle book to work on during the day, he'll have both our heads.”
 
Diana laughed with Dee. “You wish. You'll see tomorrow. Now how are you doing?”
 
“As well as I was last week when you called and asked.”
 
“Still full of sass, huh?”
 
“Ask Ryo and he'll say more than ever. And it's probably true.” Dee wasn't sure how much of a joke that was. He knew what his mood had been like in the last couple of weeks.
 
“How's the wedding planning? I still haven't received an invitation. Are you trying to tell me something, Dee?”
 
Dee sighed heavily. More than he would have preferred. Another thing this pregnancy was doing to him - it was harder to hide what he want others to know behind his usual façade.
 
“Dee?” Diana asked in concern. “Is everything okay between you and Ryo?”
 
“Sure,” Dee replied. “It's all wonderful. He treats me well. Most of the time he's dead on with my moods and knows the best action to take. I love him more for it.”
 
“But?”
 
Dee sighed again. “He keeps missing the main point.”
 
“Which is?” When Dee did not reply, she added, “Dee, you know I'll get it out of you eventually. Now, whatever this is, does he know what he's doing?”
 
“No,” Dee stated. “He's too caught up to notice. I mean, I thought we resolved it this morning, and then later his aunt calls and we're back to square one again.”
 
“Then maybe you need to tell him that?”
 
“Tell him what?” Dee blurted out. “That I don't want a huge wedding that'll cost more than most people make in a year? That I feel out of place because I'm not comfortable with places the rich hang out, or how they do things?” His voice raised as he spoke.
 
“Dee, calm down. Look, where are you?”
 
“I'm on Broadway near 4th Avenue.”
 
“Can you work your way to that quaint little Slavic diner you like on 2nd Avenue?”
 
“Diana,” Dee sighed.
 
“Come now, sweetie. Sounds like you need some comfort food and a friend. I can give you both. Dee…,” she warned when she was met again by silence. “That big macho man act is all good and fine, but you need to let it out sometimes. I swear what happens stays between us.”
 
Dee sighed again. “I don't know why I'm doing this, but yeah… I'll meet you there.”
 
“Goody! And it's because you need to talk to a friend. I can be there in 20 minutes. See you soon.”
 
“Yeah. See you, Diana. And… thanks.”
 
---------------------------------------------
 
Diana sat back and quietly listened as Dee bitched, moaned, whined and complained about the type of wedding Ryo expected them to have. She did not have to ask too many questions to come to some conclusions. Dee was genuinely upset - mood swings enhanced his emotions at times, but had Dee not been pregnant, he still would have been upset. Dee's biggest reason for objecting was he still felt uncomfortable or overwhelmed in most opulent settings. Diana could see his point. She would not want to be in an uncomfortable situation or deal with any additional feelings of being overwhelmed on her wedding day. Dee would be feeling overwhelmed enough, in a good way, on his wedding day, because he would be marrying his true love. He did not need any additional stress that day, especially with the baby.
 
She knew Ryo was not being a selfish bastard, as Dee's complaints sometimes inferred him to be. Ryo most probably thought he was doing something nice for Dee by giving his fiancé the means to have a large, extravagant wedding.
 
Just somewhere the two stopped communicating when it came to the topic.
 
Dee looked a little flushed as he winded down, finally out of breath, and still looking upset. He looked near to tears, but none fell. Diana stopped a passing waitress to get Dee another glass of water. The two friends sat in silence as Dee sipped his water until their food arrived.
 
As they started to eat, Diana looked up at her dining companion. “Dee, does Ryo know how you feel?” she asked.
 
“Of course,” Dee snorted. “I told him I didn't want any of those wedding packages.”
 
“Did you tell him why?”
 
Dee shrugged. “It should be enough to know I didn't like them.”
 
“Other than feeling out of your element, any other reasons to object? Because it seems to me that Ryo is wiling to give you a fairy tale wedding at any cost. Most probably because he feels you deserve it.”
 
Dee placed his fork on the platter to lean on the table, sighing heavily. “I know that,” he said softly. “I know he's thinking I'd be thrilled to have a type of wedding I never imagined I'd have. But geez, Diana, the cost! He said he's getting the money from his family through Elena. And it's not a loan. Something about it being his birthright being a MacLean, or something. But the prices….” Dee did look overwhelmed at that moment. “Diana, the cheapest package was $45,000 and going up to over $100,000. And he made it quite clear he was open to add options to the basic packages.”
 
“Sounds grand, Dee,” Diana stated, unable to keep herself from smiling. Her own dream wedding, back when she worked it out years ago, had come out to over $100,000.
 
“It's fine for people like you, Diana. But not for me. Not even for Ryo. Ryo and I are not rich. His family may be, but he isn't. Yes, we're comfortable these days, but we still have a growing teenager, and now this baby on the way. If Ryo could get his hands on that much money, I'd prefer we put it towards the kids. Hell, at this point, I'm all for a no frills wedding in the chamber civil wedding. I'd do it this week, if I could talk Ryo into it.”
 
Diana smiled at Dee, watching as he picked up the stoneware mug and take a sip of his peppermint tea.
 
“Dee, let me ask you something, but I want you to think about it for a bit before replying.”
 
Dee looked at her over the rim of his mug. “What's that?”
 
“If you had the money to spare, what is your idea of a dream wedding?”
 
“Not City Hall,” Dee replied immediately, “but I want simple, intimate and… well, comfortable.”
 
“And what exactly is that?”
 
He shrugged. “Dunno. Some chapel or garden or something, I guess. I'd like decent food for the reception and well, I want the reception to be something I know our guests would have fun at.”
 
“A band?” She smiled when Dee nodded automatically. “Cute party favors with Ryo's and your names on them?”
 
“Yeah.” Dee looked up at her, grinning ruefully. “I don't know,” he stated. “I never really gave much thought to the details yet. I guess I would like to have a type of wedding that our friends would be talking about for a while after.” He shrugged. “Just not so over the top, I guess.”
 
“Well, simple, medium or large, there's going to be a common factor in details. Invitations, flowers, other little details like that.” She smiled encouragingly when Dee looked at her with interest. “I'll get you a list of things you need to think about. Dee, I want you to do something. Figure out what it is you like. That will be all options, whether you have the money or not. Be honest to yourself while you're doing it.” She smiled at Dee. “In other words, what do you want?”
 
Dee looked thoughtful for a moment. “I guess that's why I hesitate to tell Ryo everything. How can I tell him what I hate if I can't tell him what I like.”
 
“Exactly. Now eat up, handsome. Do you have any other plans today?”
 
“Well, I'm supposed to go shopping at Pathmark,” Dee replied.
 
“Okay, cutie. I'll make you an offer. Let's go to my place next and I can print out some things you'll need to help pull together an idea of your dream wedding. Then I'll drive you to Pathmark and drive you home.”
 
“Sounds better than hailing a cab with grocery bags,” Dee laughed. “Allrighty. We have a deal.”
 
---------------------------------------------
 
A/N: Some general notes based on reviews - Richard will come back later in story. Vince and David will be explored more, but only periodically. As well as a subplot centering on JJ and Drake, but “The Unexpected: The Series” is about Dee and Ryo, and the time as they prepare for the arrival of their baby. Of course, it can't help but touch on how it affects those close to them.
 
While I try to write things as realistically, and in many cases use places that actually exist, this AU version of FAKE is more a sci-fi set type fic, because of the back story of genetic engineering that created the existence of Carriers. Also note that Carrier will be with a capital `C' from now on. Don't ask me why - it just felt right. And Settling, along with other terms that will be unique to a Carrier based world.
 
I am also striving hard to make sure the characters of FAKE stay true, and if they sway off the manga some, it is a natural progression of change and growth because of the circumstances of the story. One thing I do not want to do is `womanize' Dee. So if anyone feels that's happening, please poke me.
 
It also seems Ted gets the award for the best overall reaction upon receiving Dee and Ryo's happy news. LOL!
 
Also some footnotes (if you would call them that):
Inari - is vinegared rice (the type used for sushi) inside fried tofu pockets.
Katsudon - a fried pork cutlet served over rice in a bowl.
 
Now onto the very fun stuff:
 
It's A Secret - what it does to read such kind words… and here I was originally hesitant to start posting “The Unexpected I”. It took me 7 months before I finally had the nerve.
 
XZanayu - thanks so much! *grin*
 
Kotay3 - I'm glad you enjoyed the first part. I agree with you about a drunk!Ryo. Just think, there's a bachelor party coming up. *gg*