Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected II ❯ Wedding Bell Bliss ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: The Unexpected II
Chapter 7 - Wedding Bell Bliss
Rating: R
Fandom: FAKE
Pairings: Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
Disclaimer: FAKE is not mine. We have Sanami Matoh for giving us Dee, Ryo and the rest of the 27th precinct characters. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
 
February 8, 2006
 
“Oh, this is just beautiful!” Elena gushed, standing with Ryo and Dee along a glass wall, as they looked across the atrium. Along most of the perimeter were bush and flower arrangements, occasionally broken up by a tree here and there. On one side of the atrium were garden arrangements with pathways going through them. On the side near where they stood, was mostly open space, broken up by a potted tree or a low wall of exotic plants. They stood in a space between the wall and a small fountain.
 
“Well, I love it,” Dee announced, smiling.
 
“Oh yes and it's not far from Bridgewaters,” Ryo agreed. “It's perfect, if you ask me.” He hugged Dee happily, kissing the dark haired man's cheek. He rested a hand on Dee's abs and rubbed gently. “What does the chibi say?”
 
Elena looked at Dee. “Now that's a good question, and one I was planning to bring up once we got to the topic of flowers for the wedding. How do you feel, Dee?”
 
Dee looked confused. “I'm fine.”
 
“No twinges of nausea? No dizziness?” Elena asked.
 
“None. Like I said, I'm feeling fine. I'm feeling great, actually,” Dee replied.
 
“That's good then. I was worried about you and a mixture of different flowers,” Elena stated. “Anyway, we're still going to go visit a few florists when we're done here and test some of the flowers you two are wanting for the wedding. We don't need Dee passing out because of the flowers during the ceremony, do we?”
 
Ryo hugged Dee tighter, a concerned look on his face. “Gee, I didn't think about that. I figured we keep you off water for several hours at a time, and you'll be fine.”
 
Dee lightly kissed Ryo. “Aw baby, it's not up to you to think of everything you know. I'm feeling fine here, but I think it's a good idea to do what Elena suggests.”
 
“Yeah,” Ryo agreed.
 
“And that's why you have wise aunts, Ryo sweetie,” Elena said amused. “To think about things you boys probably would never think about. Dee's right. Relax. It's all under control now.”
 
Ryo sighed, then smiled as Dee kissed him again.
 
“So we like?” Dee asked him.
 
“We love,” Ryo replied. “This is it then, huh?”
 
Dee nodded. “Yes. Wedding ceremony right here.” He could not stop the huge smile. “This is really it. I love you.”
 
“Love you too, Dee. We're going to have a beautiful wedding,” Ryo said.
 
“Hey lovebirds, here comes Darlene,” Elena interrupted them, smiling warmly at the two men.
 
The three watched as Darlene came over to them, holding a few tubes to protect rolled paper. “I'm hoping from your happy faces, that this is a go,” she said to Ryo and Dee as she stopped before them.
 
Dee nodded vigorously. “Oh yes indeed.”
 
Ryo laughed at Dee's enthusiasm. “I have to agree with Dee.”
 
“It's perfect,” Elena remarked, grabbing Dee by his arm and hugging it. “Oh sweetness, this is what I hoped for the two of you for a ceremony venue.” While still latched onto Dee's arm, she smiled up at both younger men. “Thank you so much for inviting me to come along today.”
 
Ryo winked at Dee. “We thought you'd get a thrill coming along.” He looked at Darlene. “We're all for signing papers,” he told her.
 
“Delightful!” Darlene exclaimed. “We can go to my office for the formalities. Meanwhile I pulled these out, since I don't keep them in my office.” She handed Ryo the tubes. “It's the layout and diagrams to help with your planning.”
 
“Thank you,” Ryo replied.
 
“I really don't see us enhancing what you already have too much,” Elena said.
 
“Would we be able to string lights on the trees?” Dee asked.
 
Ryo looked at Dee in surprise, then shook his head amused.
 
“I don't see that being a problem, along with lighted canopies from the ceiling. We can pretty much accommodate anything you would want for the ceremony,” she replied to Dee.
 
“I think the ceremony at sunset would be nice,” Ryo mused, looking out beyond the glass walls at the city.
 
Dee looked at Ryo and broke out in a wider smile. “Oh my God. That would be awesome from here, wouldn't it?”
 
“And there won't be a very long wait time between the end of the ceremony and the reception,” Elena added.
 
Dee and Ryo nodded in agreement.
 
“I would suggest then minimal lights at the start of the ceremony, and brighten them as it gets darker outside,” Darlene remarked.
 
Dee's eyes opened wide. He looked at Elena. “Would it be possible to use decorative lighting only by the time it gets dark. I mean without them having to turn on the lighting here?”
 
Ryo rested his chin on Dee's shoulder. “It sounds magical. What if we enhance it a little by using paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling?”
 
“Oh, I love that idea, Ryo!” Dee exclaimed.
 
“It'll cost you,” Elena stated.
 
“Get us a vendor who could do it,” Ryo replied. “If that's what Dee wants, then we'll do it. I love the idea. Like I said, it sounds magical.” He smiled up at Dee. “And isn't that what fairy tale weddings are all about?”
 
The love in Dee's eyes came out in his smile. “Ryo, love, just marrying you in a plain room is a fairy tale for me, because I'll be marrying my Prince.”
 
Elena laughed as Ryo blushed. Despite the coloring on his cheeks, his gaze was steady as his eyes met Dee's. “That's exactly my feelings about you too.”
 
Darlene and Elena shared an amused look. “They're so darling together, aren't they?” Elena asked.
 
“Yes. A very fine couple. I'll assure they can do whatever they want here for their dream wedding,” Darlene agreed. She noticed she had the attention of the two handsome men. “I will make sure you have a listing of my staff who will be best to work with your vendors. And security will have instructions to allow you and anyone from your vendors access, should it be during outside public hours.”
 
“Then I think we should go sign some papers, shall we?” Dee asked, dark green eyes glittery.
 
“By all means. This way, please,” Darlene said.
 
Smiling warmly, Ryo put his arm around Dee's waist. They walked behind Darlene and Elena, who idly chatted on about weddings and good looking men.
 
“By the way,” Darlene asked as they entered the glass enclosed elevator, giving a view of the city, “when is the little one due?”
 
Dee placed his hand on his stomach. “July 25 is penciled in for the c-section,” he said softly.
 
“They are going to have the most beautiful child,” Elena stated, smiling. “I mean, just look at those two.”
 
Darlene giggled. “Oh, I agree.”
 
“Her opinion,” Ryo started, pointing to his aunt, “is somewhat biased, being I am her nephew.”
 
“Well mine isn't and I agree with her,” Darlene replied, amused.
 
“Yeah, I agree too,” Dee added, then laughed with the others.
 
*** *** ***
 
“Sunset,” Dee stated later that evening. He was sitting on the couch, reading a magazine.
 
“Huh?” Bikky asked, looking up from the game he was playing.
 
“The more I think about it, the more I'm definite I want the ceremony to take place at sunset,” Dee explained to the teen.
 
“That would be nice, wouldn't it?” Ryo replied from his place in the chair, looking up from the book he was reading.
 
“Yes. We'll call Darlene tomorrow and tell her it's a definite on the time,” Dee said.
 
“Whatever,” Bikky remarked, rolling his eyes.
 
Ryo leaned over to ruffle Bikky's hair. “Deal bud. You know if you have any ideas about the wedding, we'll listen.”
 
Bikky shook his head. “Oh no. I'll leave all that wedding crap for you too. You can do whatever you guys want.” He looked over to Dee amused.
 
Ryo could not help snorting as he followed Bikky's gaze.
 
“What?” Dee asked, looking up from the magazine he went back to reading.
 
“In Style Wedding?” Bikky asked, snickering.
 
“So?” Dee asked.
 
“It's okay, Dee,” Bikky replied. “I do have some ideas for the baby though.”
 
“And you're most welcome to tell us,” Ryo said.
 
“Okay. Not now, but when it's the right time, I'll tell you.”
 
“That's fine, Biks.” Ryo smiled as the teen went back to playing his game.
 
A few minutes of comfortable silence followed, except for the sounds from Bikky's game.
 
“Did your grandmother ever get in touch with you?” Dee asked Ryo, looking up as he turned a page.
 
“No.”
 
“Thank goodness,” Dee sighed.
 
“Don't be so happy,” Ryo replied. He smirked. “Or I just might have to call her to make sure all's well.”
 
“Uh, no. That's okay. Knowing your family, we would have heard if there was any reason for concern,” Dee said.
 
Ryo chuckled. “Yeah. And I'd probably be blamed for it too.” He watched as Dee laughed, going back to his reading. He put his book aside on the end table. “Speaking of grandmothers, I'm going to have to call Obasan soon. I mean very soon.”
 
Dee looked up again from the magazine. “You should have been breaking her in easily, you know. Like at least a few weeks ago, you should have called and said, `Obasan, I have a male lover.' Then a week later, you call and say, `Guess what? We're getting married'.”
 
Ryo chuckled. “I know, I know. My call now should be telling her we're having a baby.” He shook his head. “I'm just afraid. I mean, I don't speak to her much, but I'd rather lose most of the MacLeans before having Obasan turn her back on me.” Ryo frowned a little. “She's very traditional, so I have no idea what she will think about my being gay or you having a baby.”
 
Dee shook his head. “Didn't you learn with Rick?”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Ryo, remember you got your Carrier gene from your mother's side. The Japanese side. Besides, the percentage of Carriers is higher in Japan than here,” Dee pointed out. “That's because they continued with the experiment during the U.S. occupation after Hiroshima.”
 
Ryo's eyes opened. “Oh crap, Dee. To be honest, that's all I know about Carrier's in my family. Whatever Elena and Rick suddenly decided to tell me.”
 
“Yeah. But a good sign she won't do a total freakout,” Dee remarked.
 
Ryo smacked his forehead. “Why am I so dense at times?”
 
Dee chuckled, exchanging an amused look with Bikky. The teen rolled his eyes. “It's okay,” Dee assured Ryo. “I still love you anyway.”
 
Bikky laughed as Ryo stuck his tongue out at him.
 
“I still find it amusing you two can gang up on me,” Ryo said.
 
“Baby, there were some things about you that Biks and I were always in agreement on,” Dee laughed, while Bikky nodded his head.
 
“Yup!” Bikky agreed, laughing.
 
“Well fine. Then I'll leave you two alone while I give Obasan a start to her morning.”
 
“In the meantime, I'll bore the rugrat with pictures of things we can do for the wedding,” Dee said.
 
“Holy God!” Ryo exclaimed loudly as he started to walk out of the living room. “Dee's turning into a bridezilla!”
 
Dee looked horrified as Bikky laughed harder.
 
*** *** ***
 
“Oh my God,” Ryo groaned, dropping on the couch next to Dee.
 
“From what we heard in here, it didn't sound like it went too bad,” Dee said.
 
“Depends.”
 
“On?”
 
“She wants to fly in with some family for the wedding,” Ryo announced.
 
“That's great, baby!” Dee exclaimed.
 
Ryo leaned against Dee. “I'm thinking of seating them on your side for the ceremony. Who knows what I'll do for the reception.”
 
“Huh? Why?”
 
Ryo lightly smacked Dee's head. “Now you're being dense,” he chided playfully. “Think about it - MacLeans and Aokis all in the same room. My dad's family hates my mother's. And being proud as they are, my mother's family finds that an insult. Please God, don't let any incidents happen for the wedding,” he sighed.
 
Dee hugged Ryo to him and resting his head against Ryo's, he chuckled. “Now it's starting to sound like a wedding.”
 
“Shut up,” Ryo sighed, then chuckled. “I can always call grandma number two and make that date for tea for us,” he added slyly.
 
“Have you no sympathy for me?” Dee asked, burrowing his face in Ryo's neck. “The man you love?” He started to nuzzle along the neck. “That you're gonna marry?” He nipped at Ryo's earlobe. “The one having your baby?” He began to lick the shell of the ear.
 
Ryo let out a soft moan. “Hmm… how can I forget.”
 
Dee's hands were straying as he captured Ryo's mouth for a long, passionate kiss. When he pulled away, tweaking hardening nubs under Ryo's tee-shirt, he said, “Then again, I might need some reminding of how I got his way.”
 
Ryo glanced at Dee with passion heavy lidded yes, licking his lips. “I think you might.”
 
“Good thing Bikky left to go to the movies with Carol while you were talking to your grandmother.”
 
“Why are we still just sitting here?” Ryo asked, standing up. He took Dee's hand. “C'mon you, and let's see about refreshing your memory.”
 
Dee had a satisfied smile as he allowed himself to be led to the bedroom.
 
*** *** ***
 
February 10, 2006
 
“Morning,” Ryo greeted, walking into the CI office from his.
 
“More like afternoon,” Drake replied, amused. “What's with the swing shift today?”
 
“Because I worked 2nd shift last night and now I'm preparing to make a collar on the Jensen case.”
 
“That's good news. I take it you saw him then?” JJ asked.
 
“Yeah. Except brother dear lives in one of the projects. I'm waiting for what the Housing detectives come up with and contact me. We should be good for a bust tonight.”
 
“Where's Dee?” Drake asked.
 
“Downstairs. Janet got her claws in him, asking about the baby and things.” Ryo chuckled.
 
Drake and JJ laughed with Ryo. “Good thing she realizes he's taken,” Drake said.
 
“Too bad that can't be said for Janet. I guess Teddy-boy struck out again,” JJ said with a laugh.
 
“Be nice,” Drake warned him.
 
“Why? I already heard it,” Ted's annoyed voice came from the door.
 
“Oh, hi Ted,” JJ replied. “Uh, Drake, weren't we supposed to fill Ryo and Dee in on events since they left on Tuesday?”
 
Ted looked around the office, nodding his acknowledgement to Ryo. “Oh, but I don't see Dee. You shouldn't have to repeat yourself. So we'll talk about something else until Dee gets here.”
 
“Hey Drake,” Ryo said. “want to go into my office and go over… something?”
 
“Well,” Drake considered, his eyes on JJ.
 
“Drakey! You wouldn't leave me alone at a time like this!” JJ wailed.
 
“You won't be alone,” Ryo pointed out. “You'll be with Ted.”
 
“Exactly. And I don't want to be.” The smaller man moved quickly to stand behind Drake.
 
“Have fun,” Ryo said amused, heading for his office. He looked back at Drake. “Coming?”
 
Drake shook his head. “Nah. But if you could take Ted?”
 
“Oh no! Not getting involved,” Ryo exclaimed. “Later.” He went into the office, chuckling.
 
Ted shook his head. “You can't keep hiding behind Drake forever,” he said.
 
“Like to make a bet?” JJ remarked.
 
“Don't make it worse, JJ. Quiet,” Drake demanded, moving JJ to his desk.
 
“Sure, Drake,” JJ replied.
 
Ted sat down at his desk, glaring at the two partners.
 
*** *** ***
 
“I'm honored, Dee,” Janet said. “I'm touched that you and Ryo would consider me to be in your wedding party.”
 
Dee smiled. “Why shouldn't we? I'm glad you said yes. Just one thing I should warn you. We're putting Diana in charge of Groomswomen things.”
 
“That's okay, Dee,” Janet giggled. “I can't see you or Ryo fussing with all those girlie things anyway.”
 
“Yeah, so we've been told we're not that gay,” Dee chuckled. “And for this, I'm inclined to agree. And I see your partner waving at us. We still don't know what you'll be wearing, but pretty soon you'll be going for a dress fitting. Oh, and don't worry about the cost. We're paying for everything concerning the wedding.”
 
“You don't have to, Dee,” Janet protested.
 
Dee smirked. “Believe me, you'll be glad before it's all done. We're not worried about the money. Ryo's family is footing the entire bill.”
 
“Oh, I keep forgetting,” she laughed. “Okay Dee. I better get going. Talk to you soon.”
 
“Be careful out there, Janet.”
 
“I will. I have your wedding to be at.” She winked at Dee before walking over to her partner.
 
Dee turned to start toward the stairs, only to be hit with a wave of dizziness. He cursed himself for still not learning to start slowly. Instead of pacing himself so it got better, in the last day, it had been getting worse. He determined he really had to put more effort in watching what he did when going into motion after being still for a while. The dizziness passed and he continued his way to the stairs.
 
Wanting the exercise, he decided he'd use the stairs. He found himself having to stop for a few seconds, before going on. Slowly he told himself, hoping he was not getting to the point of being hit with breathlessness already. Bad enough his hip bones were a little achy that morning, and he feared it was not an isolated incident for a while. The uterine sac was growing, and needed room. More than for a woman, he was warned that it would be somewhat painful at times, because men's hip bones were smaller than women's. Even for carriers, because their bone structures were not any different than non-carrier males. Hormones released from the Carrier gland would help allieviate his hips needing to broaden as the uterine sac continued to grow, but not too much. After all, the baby did not have to pass through his hips to come out.
 
Sometimes being pregnant was an annoyance, Dee reflected, rubbing his hips as he started to slowly make his way up the stairs again. His fingertips brushed along the gentle swell and he smiled as he made his way up toward the second floor. Only sometimes; most times it was more an amazing experience than an annoyance.
 
He had paused again halfway up from the second landing for a minute, deciding that perhaps that day he was pushing it to walk all the way up to the fourth floor. When he got to the landing on the third floor, he would take the elevator up one floor. He pushed himself from leaning against the wall, gritting his teeth when the dizziness hit him again. He waited it out the few seconds, then started to take the first step.
 
From behind him he heard a voice.
 
“Just as I thought,” Hernandez said, his voice oozing with disgust. “You're weak and soft. I've been hearing so much about the `great' Dee Laytner, but all I see is a disgrace to our fine force. Makes me ashamed to be a cop in a precinct that condones freaks like you. Definitely not New York's finest.”
 
Dee forced himself to ignore Hernandez and continue to make his way to the landing. His mind was definitely made up to leave the stairwell on the third floor. There was something about being alone with Hernandez that gave Dee the creeps. His protective instincts for the baby warned him that Hernandez can be a danger.
 
“Hey, can't even talk, can you? So much for what I've heard about that sharp tongue of yours,” Hernandez remarked, his voice coming closer to Dee. “Seems your partner has more venom to his tongue, despite supposedly being the quiet one. You know why? Because he's a real man.”
 
Dee gritted his teeth, one hand clenching the handrail. He could no longer ignore Hernandez, even knowing he only had his mouth for defense. Attempting to fight on the stairs would only throw off his balance. He might beat Hernandez if needed, but he knew he had a good chance of going down the stairs too. “Of course, Ryo's a real man,” he said, still looking forward. “Whoever thought he wasn't was misinformed.”
 
“That may be true,” Hernandez said. Before Dee could notice out of the corner of his eye, he knew the other man was next to him on the same steps. “But it seems I was grossly misinformed about you.”
 
Dee dared to look sideways to find Hernandez sneering at him. He suddenly felt trapped and started to panic. He put all his effort into not letting the panic come to the surface. He felt his heart start to beat faster as a need to get away from Hernandez overtook all Dee's senses. He glanced ahead of him. Just five more steps, then get the hell out of there. Hopefully there will be people in the hallway on the other side of the stairwell door. If not, it was the floor for the forensics lab. He'd go to Jim's office, or one of Jim's assistants.
 
Three more steps. Dee went to go up one more step when the dizziness hit him again, worse than it had. He swayed and his foot missed the stair. He tried to hold onto the rail tighter, but the palm of his hand was sweaty from his rising panic and it slipped from the railing. Dee closed his eyes with the awful sense that he was falling, going down a full flight of stairs. He had no thought for himself. Chances are he could survive the fall, even with a broken bone or two, but the baby might not.
 
He cried out in fear.
 
Suddenly he was being held by two arms and pulled up the last remaining steps. He looked up with blurry vision to notice Hernandez was setting him down on the first step.
 
“Don't look down,” he heard Hernandez say. “Keep your head down and your eyes closed. Once I know I can leave you alone for a minute without you going rolling down the stairs on me, I'll go get help.”
 
“Get Ryo,” Dee muttered, doing as instructed. The relief that he was at the top of the stairs and not laying at the bottom was so strong, it caused another wave of dizziness.
 
“Here, let me get you against the wall away from the stairs,” Hernandez said, lifting Dee slightly from where he sat to settle him on the landing. “Geez, can't you at least help?”
 
“S-sorry,” Dee said, trying to make it easier for his unlikely savior.
 
“Stay here. I won't be a minute.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
“Laytner, I may not like your kind, but I'm a cop, not a killer. My job is to protect and serve. Sometimes that includes other cops. Now don't move.”
 
Dee heard the door open and Hernandez leave. “But when they're already dead, they're fair game to you, huh?” Dee remarked to himself. He felt guilty right after saying it. Hernandez did stop him from taking what would be a good chance a fatal fall for the baby, and because of complications in male pregnancies, for him too.
 
The door opened again.
 
“Ryo's on his way down,” he heard Jim's voice. “Now what the hell did you get yourself into, Dee?”
 
Dee looked up, his vision clearing a little to see Jim's concerned face as the other man crotched next to him. From above, he heard the rush of feet going down the stairs.
 
“Dee!” Ryo's voice came from above him. “What the hell happened?”
 
“Yeah, that's what I want to know,” Jim remarked.
 
“Is he going to be okay?” Hernandez asked.
 
“Yeah. This type of crap is known to hit during a pregnancy,” Jim assured him. “Can you do me a favor and keep back anyone wanting to help or gawk. We have a handle on the situation, and Dee doesn't need a crowed around him.”
 
Ryo was suddenly on his knees next to Dee, hugging him. “Baby, what happened?”
 
Dee flung his arms around Ryo's neck and held on tightly, burying his face in Ryo's shoulder.
 
“I'm starting to feel better,” Dee replied after a minute of holding Ryo, thankful that his voice was stronger. “I got dizzy and lost my footing. I guess I panicked and that didn't help the dizziness. But I'm okay now.”
 
Despite his reassurances, he found he could not make himself release Ryo. After his earlier fears, finding himself safe in Ryo's arms was an emotional experience. He felt tears welling up in his eyes. He ignored them and continued to hold onto his husband-to-be.
 
“Can we get you upstairs?” Jim asked. “Ryo and I will help you to the elevator.”
 
Dee nodded. “Yeah. I think I can move now.”
 
“Okay.” Ryo kissed the top of his head, and gently untangled himself from Dee's tight grip. He got into position to help Dee up. “On the count of three, okay?”
 
Dee looked up at Ryo. “Yeah.”
 
“One… two… three…” Ryo's strong arms around Dee steadied him, as he pushed himself to his feet.
 
Jim was standing between them and the stairs, just in case, ready to steady Ryo if needed.
 
He was able to walk himself out of the stairwell, but with Ryo's support. One of Jim's assistants was already holding the elevator for them. Dee noticed Hernandez standing to the side.
 
He stopped walked to look over to the rookie cop. “Thanks,” Dee said.
 
Hernandez nodded. “I already told you.”
 
“Yeah. I know.”
 
“Less chitchat and get yourself off this floor,” Jim said, taking his arm from the other side of where Ryo was. “You know what my potions do to you.”
 
Dee chuckled weakly as he allowed Ryo and Jim to guide him into the elevator. Dee leaned against the wall. He looked at Ryo's face, seeing the multitude of questions his fiancé had.
 
“It's that usual dizziness,” he told Ryo. “I stopped for a breather on the stairs, and when I started up again, I guess I moved too fast. And lost my footing.”
 
“What was Hernandez doing there?” Ryo asked, his dark eyes telling if the cop had done anything to contribute to the incident, he was most likely to take care of the situation with his bare hands.
 
“Saving me from a fall,” Dee laughed. “And no, I don't need to call Vince. It was one of those normal things that happened at a bad time.”
 
Ryo studied Dee as the elevator came to a stop. “Okay. For now. But….”
 
“Relax, baby,” Dee assured Ryo, gently pushing himself off the wall and starting to walk out of the elevator. “See, I'm fine. I'll explain it all back in our office. After Rose gets there.”
 
“Rose?” Ryo asked suspiciously. “What in the hell do you want Rose to come up for?”
 
“Just deal with it for now. You'll understand,” Dee said as they walked slowly through the hall to their office.
 
Jim gaffawed and Ryo glared at him. “What do you know?”
 
Jim raised his hands. “I plea the 5th. Let's just get Dee sitting down and comfortable for a while. Okay?”
 
Ryo sighed, then had no more time to pursue it. They were greeted by Drake, Marty and Ted, wanting to see for themselves that Dee was okay.
 
“JJ went to get some orange juice for Dee,” Drake explained as they walked along.
 
Dee cringed. Orange juice unsettled his stomach, and lately also gave him gas. He only drank it in times like this when the dizziness was stronger than a mild wave. It did help, even if he hated to drink the stuff.
 
He dropped heavily in his chair, and leaned back with a sigh.
 
Ryo stared at Dee. “Someone call the Commissioner up here, please,” he requested. “Because I want to get to the bottom of this now.”
 
JJ came into the office with a bottle of orange juice and held it out to Dee. “I know you hate the stuff, but drink up,” he insisted.
 
Dee grimaced as he took the offered bottle. “I'm supposed to thank you, I guess.”
 
“Just drink it up and feel better,” JJ remarked.
 
Dee sighed, noticing it was already open and took a swallow. The taste was fine, it was what Dee knew would come after that made him hate to drink it.
 
“Drink it all,” Ryo insisted, running his fingers lightly along Dee's cheeks, then down his neck to his collarbone. “Are you feeling hot?” he asked.
 
“A little. My metabolism went into overdrive when I realized I was taking a plunge,” Dee replied.
 
“Not too bad, and at least you're sweating,” Ryo commented.
 
“Thanks for the update,” Dee grumped, then took another swig of the juice.
 
“What's going on here?” Rose's voice came into the office. “Dee, what happened?”
 
“Good morning, Commissioner,” Dee greeted. “I requested your presence, because a good word about losing his job, therefore making it harder for us to provide for two children on my pay alone would make Ryo stay here and not go down and attempt to throttle Hernandez.”
 
“He did do something to you,” Ryo exclaimed, eyes flashing. “What the hell did that bastard do to you?”
 
“Easy MacLean,” Rose warned.
 
Dee noted with amusement that Marty and Ted were standing before the door.
 
Dee shrugged. “It was more me, than him. Really. I just panicked because it was just the two of us in the stairwell. I was already hit with a wave of dizziness from moving too suddenly, then he was there, coming up the stairs, mocking me. I couldn't help but feel threatened.” He took Ryo's hands. “You have to understand, it's easier for me to feel threatened these days, being limited with defending myself. Especially on the stairs. It was my imagination going in overdrive. Blame the Carrier killer more for my panic than Hernandez. But that's when I really started to feel dizzy - when I panicked. I was taking a step about then, and missed it. Hernandez stopped me from falling and got me up the rest of the stairs to where you found me.”
 
Ryo nibbled on his lower lip, considering what Dee explained.
 
“I see,” Rose said. “Did Hernandez violate any of the conditions I set upon him, Dee?”
 
Dee nodded. “Yeah, he was taunting me with words.”
 
“I don't think Dee would have panicked if that son of a bitch quietly walked up the stairs and merely glared at Dee,” Ryo snapped.
 
“Ryo!” Rose warned. “Stay calm.”
 
“Calm?” Ryo snapped. “That bastard got Dee upset to the point that he nearly fell down the stairs, and I'm supposed to stay calm?”
 
“He also stopped me from falling, baby,” Dee said, grabbing Ryo's hand again. “He may be a bigoted bastard, but he stopped me, instead of letting me go down and saying, `Well, there's yet one less of that kind in this world.'”
 
Ryo sighed.
 
Drake chuckled. “Now I see why the Commissioner needed to be here.”
 
Rose smirked. “So do I. I'm about to order you out to a liquid lunch, MacLean.”
 
Dee burst out in laughter at the indignant look on Ryo's face. Everyone in the office joined in.
 
“Baby, I love you,” Dee said softly, looking in Ryo's eyes. “I love that you feel the need to be so protective over the two of us. But we don't need you harming or killing someone unless there was no other choice. Got it?”
 
Ryo let out a heavy sigh. “Yeah, I know. I can't help it, you know.”
 
“I know.”
 
“Dee, I need you to fill out an accident report. Just standard procedure,” Rose said.
 
“I understand, sir.”
 
“Rest up a bit here, then go downstairs and fill it out with the proper personnel,” Rose added, making it an order.
 
“I will.”
 
“And do not leave anything out. Hernandez will be both praised and disciplined for his actions,” Rose stated.
 
Dee nodded. He understood. As an officer of the law, Hernandez would have to also understand Dee was under obligation to leave nothing out when filing the accident report.
 
The phones started to ring. “I'll get it,” Ted said, going into the main CI office.
 
“Are you going to be okay now?” Rose asked. “You don't need to leave, do you?”
 
“No. Like I told Ryo, it was just one of those things that happen during pregnancy, but at a bad time.”
 
“Compounded by that bastard,” Ryo growled. He snapped his mouth shut when he felt eyes on him. “But that will be dealt with by the Commissioner, I'm sure.”
 
“Exactly, Ryo. Now take care of your partner, and I'll handle the rest after Dee's accident report is filed. If my presence is no longer required, I will be in my office.”
 
“Yes, sir,” Ryo sighed. He sat on the desk, watching Dee take out some plain melba toast from his supply drawer as the Commissioner left. The phone rang again. “Goddammit it,” he muttered, realizing the phones were only ringing in their office. “Busy day today.” He leaned over to answer the phone on Dee's desk. “Criminal Investigations, Detective MacLean speaking,” he answered the phone.
 
Dee watched Ryo take the call as he nibbled on a piece of toast and finished the orange juice.
 
JJ was fussing by the electric kettle. “Camomile, Dee?” he asked.
 
Dee noted the frown on Ryo's face as he started to quickly scribble down information as he spoke on the phone. “Uh, yeah. That's fine,” he replied to JJ.
 
“After orange juice, you don't need peppermint,” JJ remarked, making a cup of tea for Dee.
 
“Yeah,” Dee replied.
 
Ryo hung up the phone as JJ handed Dee the mug with tea.
 
“What's up?” Dee asked.
 
“I have to leave,” Ryo stated, studying Dee again.
 
“I'm fine, really. You go do your job and don't worry about me. What's up anyway?”
 
“Jensen is getting brave. That was the Housing detectives. They're going to meet me and we're going to visit the brother.”
 
“He's there?” Dee asked.
 
“Apparently. He was seen by patrol, and they called the detectives.”
 
“It's going to be a long day for you, babe,” Dee sighed, knowing that upon making an arrest, the process can take hours in Central Booking.
 
Ryo nodded. “Yeah. So I need you to stay out of trouble for that time.” He smiled gently at Dee and leaned down to kiss his nose. “Okay?”
 
“I'll be right here, using my computer for legwork and drinking tea,” Dee stated with an amused smile. “You go get your man, so that poor woman can recover without any fear. I won't expect you home until later tonight, but if it seems to take longer, please call. I'll have dinner waiting to be warmed whenever you get home tonight.”
 
“We'll give Dee a ride home tonight,” Drake assured Ryo.
 
“Thanks,” Ryo said. He went to his desk to pull together what he would need. As he was going for his coat, Ted walked back into the office, looking grim.
 
“JJ, Drake, you're both up. Out of the precinct, but it's your case, man.”
 
“Oh God, please don't let it be….” Ryo whispered, pausing from putting his coat on.
 
Ted nodded. “Sorry, but it is. That was the 1st. They found a body behind a dumpster in a parking lot.” He held out the paper to Drake. “Here's all your information. Diana will be meeting you there.”
 
Dee dropped his hands in his face. “Somebody find this fuckin' bastard and soon,” he muttered.
 
“Where exactly within the 1st are we talking?” JJ asked.
 
“Thompson and Houston,” Drake growled.
 
Ryo's eyes went wide with horror. “Oh God,” he uttered.
 
Ted looked sympathetically down at Dee. “Dee, man, I hope you enjoyed whatever freedom you had until now, because until we find exactly were our victims are grabbed, I believe you are now a caged man.”
 
Ryo started to walk over to Dee's desk.
 
“I know, I know,” Dee groaned. “You don't have to say it, Ryo. Whatever you're thinking, you got it. Okay, baby?”
 
Ryo sighed. “Dee, I know this is hard, but it'll be harder on all of us if anything did happen to you.”
 
“I know. But I'll tell you one thing, when you find that son of a bitch, you better keep him away from me, because I now have a personal vendetta against the bastard,” Dee remarked. “Go Ryo. I'm getting a ride home, and I'll lock all the locks on the door when I get home. Don't worry about me, `cause that will only make me worry about you more while you're out there.”
 
“You're right.” Ryo leaned down to kiss Dee. “I'll see you at home, love. And stay safe.”
 
“JJ and I are on our way out,” Drake announced. “If anymore calls about it come in, we have our cells on.”
 
Ted leaned against Dee's desk, watching as Ryo, Drake and JJ went on their way out of the office. He placed a comforting hand on Dee's shoulder. “Cheer up. I'm here for a bit until Marty comes back from Records.”
 
Dee nodded wearily. “Yeah. Thanks.”
 
“Can I get you anything?”
 
“Nah. I'm fine. I just have to get used to being in a cage, I guess.” He gave Ted a weak smile. “Go on and get your work done. Meanwhile, I'll just go back to what I'm allowed to do with mine.”
 
“You need anything, just give me a yell, Dee,” Ted said, waving as he left the office, leaving the door between the two spaces open.
 
*** *** ***
 
Ted looked up as he heard Dee enter the office, and immediately jumped up from his desk. “Dammit, Dee! You could have called out,” he exclaimed, going over and practically catching Dee, who fell over.
 
“It won't stop,” Dee said weakly as Ted dragged Dee to a chair.
 
“What won't?”
 
“The dizziness.”
 
Ted also noted that while Dee was sweating, he was pale and his skin felt clammy. “Dude, I don't want to scare you, but I'm talking you to be checked out. This isn't good.”
 
Dee shook his head.
 
“Yes, Dee.”
 
“Y-yeah… that's what I meant… Ted, I'm scared,” Dee admitted.
 
“Stay comfortable there, bud. I'm going to call Rose and we're getting you to your MOP.” Ted ran to the phone and dialed the Commissioner's extension. “Sir? It's Dee. He's not looking too good. I think he needs to go and get looked at….”
 
“Ted….” Dee gasped.
 
“Dee! God… Commissioner, Dee just collapsed,” Ted exclaimed, as he tried to move toward the falling man unsuccessfully and watched Dee fall limp to the floor. He dropped the receiver, already knowing the Commissioner was in action.
 
 
A/N: I hoped to get this out earlier, but I also needed to make sure I can get the next chapter up within a week or so of this. `Cause I don't want to leave everyone hanging where this ends for too long.
 
I was going to individually reply to all the wonderful reviews I received since the last chapter was posted, but if I did, then it would be another few days before I would get to post this. I need to start contacting most of you to personally thank you. Because of you, this has become my most successful fanfic in all the years I've been writing various fanfiction. And to think I was hesitant to post it at all. Thanks so much!
 
Also to anyone who emailed me asking for extras - I accidentally deleted some emails I shouldn't have when I found way too many emails from Yahoo groups. So if I didn't get back to you about the extras or 2nd Season, poke me again. But I do highly suggest checking out the 27th Precinct Live Journal (http://community.livejournal.com/27th_precinct/ ). You can find the scanlations for the extras 1 - 4 and 5 will be available very soon, according to a post there. It was also mentioned that 2nd Season will be scanlated too. I will still be scanning new acts as they come out, for those who cannot wait for the scanlated version.
 
So how about I stop typing here so I can get this posted? See you all soon!
The Unexpected Draft
 
 
Chapter 7 19 of 20