Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected II ❯ Does History Repeat? ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected II
Chapter 12
Does History Repeat?
 
########## ########## ########## ########## ##########
 
February 20, 2006
 
The private fashion show turned out to be not as horrible as Dee and Ryo first thought it would be. Everyone had a good time on Saturday night. More importantly, they had eliminated ten gowns by the time the last gown was modeled.
 
Once everyone but Rick, Elena and Diana were gone, they conferred about the gowns, looking over the pictures Elena downloaded on to Dee's laptop. Both men immediately loved Elena's suggestion that instead of choosing only one style, they should pick a style for each color in their theme. Elena showed some examples on the Internet of wedding parties with different style gowns and/or colors. Dee was all for the idea because he knew he would have a hard time narrowing the selections down to just one. They had a few more days to narrow the choices down to five and then designate a color for each style.
 
They had an appointment that week to meet with Marcel and try on a few suits. If they made a decision while there, Marcel assured them that, they would also have a first fitting. They already had decided on the suits for the men in their wedding party and had business cards to hand out so their groomsmen could call and make appointments for fittings. It was not very hard for the two lovers to pick out a nice cut Italian suit in black. The men would wear white shirts, with vests and bolero style bow ties in a theme color to match their wedding party partner.
 
Despite their original chagrin at the start, Ryo and Dee were glad they managed to be charming hosts to their unexpected visitors. They had actually taken care of a few things they were behind on in planning. As a bonus, they managed to have an evening of entertainment. Both men were secure enough in their relationship, that looking was fine. They appreciated enough beauty while watching TV or movies. As long as there was no outright drooling, they were fine with that. Ryo noticed of late, Dee was slowly stopping his noticing, claiming eyes only for Ryo. They still had fun later that night, comparing notes on the models as they cleaned up after, especially commenting on what was real and fake in endowments.
 
Ryo noted that while Dee tried to be formally polite to the boutique owner, which Ryo found positively endearing, some of his fiancé's street ways came out in his speech or mannerisms throughout the evening. Instead of putting off Madam Chantrel, she found the combo delightfully charming. In fact, overall, she seemed more charmed with Dee than Ryo. Ryo guessed pregnancy probably had something to do with it, but not all.
 
Taking that into account and knowing his grandmother, Estelle MacLean, Ryo was convinced that Dee's first meeting with her that week would go very well.
 
Monday started off well, despite Dee's usual grumbling about being escorted by bodyguards and being stuck in the office while everyone else got to go out to do their jobs.
 
By lunch, everyone in CI had returned from the field and a drawing went on to select which two would go get everyone's lunch. The only name not in the drawing was Dee's. The other guys teased him and Dee teased back with a smirk, exclaiming that someone finally figured out he should be catered to.
 
Ryo was the only one to notice that the cocky attitude that seemed to be Dee at his best - or worst - was an act. He saw in deep green eyes how Dee wished he was the one to get their lunches and how tired he was of eating in the office when before they would go out for lunch at least once a week, sometimes more. Or stop off on the way back from investigating a case. Ryo was thankful that while it was a Monday, for him and Dee, it was their Friday. At least being away from the precinct, Ryo would be able to take Dee out shopping or dinner. The next day, they were to meet Ryo's grandmother for lunch at Serendipity. Then afterward, Dee had his monthly appointment with Vince.
 
Ryo could not help feeling the thrill that this would be Dee's 3rd pre-natal check up. Vince had explained that he preferred to keep the pre-natal exams on schedule even if he did see Dee twice that month. There were things he was yet to look at that he did not do at the other exams. Ryo also had his own appointment while Vince did what he termed, “The boring embarrassing parts of the exam.”
 
Ryo had his own embarrassing moments to contend with. He was glad it was one-on-one rather than a group meeting. At least near the end of the last appointment, he felt himself relax and actually started to feel comfortable talking with the specialist assigned to him. Tim was a small petite guy, appearing soft and quiet. Until he opened his mouth. Then he sounded like Dee, perhaps at times worse. By the end of their first meeting, Ryo know the other man was not a bottom and was the dominant one in his marriage. Tim also had an easy going mannerism that Ryo felt comfortable around. If the rest of the meetings were anything like his last one, Ryo was convinced that by the time the baby was born, there would not be much for him to get embarrassed about. Dee had pointed out a few occasions that Ryo did not need his appointments to get over some things, that just knowing there was a baby that they created was enough. Ryo knew Dee was right. They were both changing with this baby, yet oddly enough still remaining more of who they were.
 
On the other days of the week, they had appointments to be at after work, like fittings and food tastings.
 
He realized his mind was wondering when everyone but JJ was laughing and he had no idea why. He looked over to JJ, who shrugged.
 
“We might as well get going,” JJ said to him. “Okay everyone, write down your orders and make it quick,” he remarked to the others. “Three minutes or we'll leave and you're on your own to get your lunch.”
 
“Aw,” Dee pouted, looking up from a menu. “I want the sirloin cheddar bacon burger,” he told Ryo. “You know how I like it.”
 
Ryo nodded. “And for a side?”
 
“I trust you, baby,” Dee said with a wink.
 
Ted and Marty were writing down their orders.
 
“What about you, Drakey?” JJ asked.
 
“Uh, hold on…. I'm trying to decide,” Drake replied.
 
“Decide quick,” JJ remarked, watching Ryo collect the orders from Ted and Marty.
 
“You wouldn't dare,” Drake stated, scribbling down his order. He paused to stare at the menu. “Nah.” He scratched out whatever he had down to start again.
 
“Drake!” JJ warned.
 
“I'm still undecided.”
 
“C'mon, dude,” Dee snapped. “I've got baby here that's saying there's more than just me getting hungry.”
 
Ryo looked at Dee. “Grab a yogurt to tie you over,” he suggested. He shook his head as he noticed Drake cross out his order again.
 
“I'd love to,” Dee replied, “but I'm afraid I ate the last one before you got back. I forgot to call and let you know.” He gave Ryo an apologetic smile.
 
“It's okay, baby. I'll get you some more,” Ryo assured him.
 
“Now that's enough!” JJ snapped, grabbing the paper from Drake, just as once again the other man was going to change his order. Everyone else jumped at the sudden display.
 
“Whatever is on here is what you get. Let's go, Ryo.”
 
“Jesus, JJ,” Drake sighed, while the others laughed.
 
“Yeah, sure,” Ryo replied. He bent over by Dee to quickly kiss the dark haired man. “Be back soon. You too, Chibi.”
 
Drake smirked, knowing that JJ, who was standing in the doorway, would not dare snap at Ryo as the part-Japanese man gave Dee's belly a quick rub.
 
As Ryo started to walk out of the main CI office, JJ had already charged ahead of him and was waiting at the stairs. Ryo shook his head again in amusement and went to join JJ, leaving the others to go back to work until they returned.
 
########## ########## ########## ########## ##########
 
Ryo sat down in an empty booth to wait for their lunch order to be ready. He glanced up at JJ, who was still standing. “Going to sit?” he asked.
 
With a shrug, JJ plopped down onto the cushioned blue and gray vinyl seat on the other side of the table from Ryo.
 
Ryo watched JJ for a moment, as the other man looked at other late lunch patrons. “I hate lunch duty, too.” He peered over at JJ, who turned his head to look at Ryo in question. “Especially with Drake's order.” He laughed at the face JJ made.
 
“But this is the easy part once you get him to decide what he wants,” JJ remarked.
 
“I'll bet it would be easier for him if he could be even just a little picky.”
 
“Tell me about it,” JJ agreed with a heavy sigh. Once he finished speaking, he went back to his people study.
 
After nearly a minute went by of watching the back of JJ's head, Ryo had to break the silence. “So what's up with you anyway?” he asked.
 
“Huh? What do you mean?” The platinum haired man's attention was back on Ryo.
 
“The sigh, the silence.”
 
JJ rested his head on his head. “Just tired, I guess. We need a break in this case.” He glanced back to the other patrons, before he said low to Ryo, “Ever wonder if he's here? Or she, though I doubt it's a woman.”
 
“Who?”
 
JJ rolled his eyes. “The one who is driving us to distraction to catch. And giving Drake and I more overtime than we know what to do with.”
 
“Oh!” Ryo nodded. “I guess I tend to do that more when I have Dee with me. But yeah, it would be nice to stop looking over my shoulder, making everyone a suspect. And to be able to let
 
Dee go off to do his own thing again.”
 
JJ nodded. “At least he prefers to spend most of his time with you. It could be worse, like if you two actually did things separately on a normal routine.”
 
“Yeah, huh?” Ryo replied, realizing that even before the Carrier killer, him and Dee had become practically inseparable. He found himself smiling at the thought.
 
“So how's the wedding planning going?” JJ asked.
 
Ryo shook his head with a chuckle. “Scary.”
 
JJ laughed a little. “Getting cold feet already?” he asked.
 
“Already?!? It's been two months since I asked Dee to marry me. But no. Not cold feet. More like confused at times.”
 
“How so?” JJ's attention was fully on Ryo, looking concerned.
 
“You see how it's going,” Ryo replied, resting his arms on the table. “You knew about the big fight we had over the wedding.”
 
“Yeah. When Dee didn't want all that ritzy stuff you were pushing onto him.”
 
“Exactly.” Ryo let out a heavy sigh and chuckled.
 
“Well, Dee is a street rat at heart,” JJ stated. “He said he wouldn't feel comfortable with all the high society pomp.”
 
“Yeah, we worked through that. But at first, I pushed him because I want him to have the wedding he deserves.
 
“Instead of the wedding he wants.” JJ laughed. “Dude. You were trying to turn Dee into a fairy princess.”
 
Ryo looked rueful. “Yeah, I know. I didn't see it like that, but you're right.” Ryo snorted, then shook his head. “He's getting the wedding he wants now. That's what's so scary. But JJ, that makes sense now. That was the real reason Dee fought so much. I'll bet he doesn't realize it yet either. I didn't until now. And he kept saying there was something else, but he couldn't put a finger to it.”
 
“What's that?”
 
“Dee is now the fairy tale prince of his wedding,” Ryo replied. “Instead of a princess. So it's all cool now with him.”
 
“Oh!” JJ nodded. “That's how I've felt about it from the start, but I wasn't going to call Dee a princess to his face, even to make a point. Pregnant or no, he'd have wiped the floor using me.”
 
Ryo laughed. “Now it's all making more sense. Thank you, JJ!”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“The other week when you stopped by with Drake, you saw those flowered arches that will be going down the center aisle in the atrium.”
 
“Yeah. So Dee decided he wants to spend lots of money on plenty of flowers.”
 
“It's more than just that, JJ. You know, whatever Dee wants, he can have for our wedding day. We have quite a large budget. It's just, one minute he's saying he's a street rat, the next…” Ryo shrugged, letting his words trail off. “I haven't been complaining, but at times it just didn't make sense to me. We share thoughts and ideas lately and agree. It really is `our' wedding. We're finally planning together. And Dee is not without whatever he wants.”
 
“So he tells you and you make it happen?” JJ inquired.
 
“Not exactly. We agree on our final decisions and one of us will contact our wedding coordinator.”
 
JJ's eyes went wide. “Wow! What type of package did you guys sign up for?”
 
“Full. We just signed the contract on Saturday during lunch. We pick, Sharon makes it happen. Dee adores her, so it's all good. She works with just about every vendor in New York City and even beyond. If she can't find it here, she'll have it shipped for us. Saves us the time finding vendors ourselves.”
 
“And Dee took to having a wedding coordinator right away?” JJ asked, truly curious about the amazing turnaround the wedding seemed to take.
 
Ryo nodded. “Yup. After hearing Elena explain everything, and then he spoke to Mother, he was willing to listen to Sharon. And he liked what she had to say. We still have so many details to work out, and we'd never make it in time if we didn't sign with her.”
 
“So simple is out, I take it?”
 
“Definitely,” Ryo replied. “Dee's choice too. I mean yesterday, he noticed some photos of a buffet on ice sculptures. So…now we're trying to decide what we want sculpted in ice.” Ryo smiled.
 
JJ laughed. “You're joking me!”
 
“Dee wants it. Colored lighting with it too!”
 
“That's… interesting. I guess simple is definitely out.”
 
“Oh, it certainly is. I tell you, push it on Dee and he'll push back twice as hard. Leave him on his own…” Ryo shook his head in amazement. “He's got websites and magazines, and books. He even calls Elena and Mother for suggestions. And he knows Mother is just tickled to pieces that her son is getting a wedding in the style much like in her family. And JJ… I know Dee can organize with the best of us if he puts his mind and the time to it, but oh my God! I never realized just how organized and anal he could be until I saw the wedding organizer he created for us on his laptop. And our wedding website should be done and online this week. Dee's doing that himself too.”
 
JJ's eyes were wide. “Oh… My…GAWD!” he exclaimed. “Dee has become Bridezilla!”
 
Ryo's mouth dropped open at JJ's proclamation, then laughed as he realized how close to the truth it was. “God, don't ever say that to Dee's face.”
 
“Oh heck no!” JJ laughed.
 
“But yeah, so much for simple,” Ryo remarked. “I'm not complaining. It's just….” He shrugged helplessly. “I was trying to figure out where the change happened.”
 
“Do you really want to know? Or need to know?” JJ asked with a shrug of his own. “I'd say just go for whatever he wants, unless it's something you totally despise. But seeing how nice you two redid the apartment, I guess your tastes are not so much different then we all expected.
 
Ryo let out a heavy sigh. “It all comes down to that I originally went about it the wrong way, I guess.”
 
“Well, yeah.”
 
“It's not what I want at all,” Ryo explained. “I just wanted Dee to have the wedding of his dreams. Dee was most likely dreaming about us getting married back when I was still unable to accept that I was in love with him. He deserves it. I just happen to have the money to give him whatever he wants. I guess I got carried away there for a bit.”
 
“Look, you like being in control of things. We all do. So why assume that suddenly Dee doesn't anymore, just because he's pregnant.”
 
Ryo shook his head. “Believe me, I'm not assuming that at all. You ask me, ever since he got pregnant, he's been wanting to be more in control of things than usual for Dee. But you know what worries me the most with the wedding planning? Mood swings.”
 
JJ giggled at the face Ryo made as he said the last two words.
 
“I mean, what if he's in this mood right now that he wants extravagant for some things, and then the day before the wedding he doesn't?”
 
“Well, try to stay flexible, I guess. Ice sculptures can be taken away or replaced by small tables or whatever. Getting them because Dee suddenly decides he wants them the day before would be the tricky part.”
 
Ryo shook his head. “Did you hear what I said earlier, JJ? This isn't a do it yourself wedding here. We're signing contracts. That means no more or no less than what we signed the dotted lines for. We can't just take out tables and replace them at Bridgewaters. It's costing us a fortune already for them to allow outside catering and event planners to do the design. I would think coming from your background, you wouldn't know what a homemade wedding is. I can tell you, this one is far from that. So whatever we sign the contracts for, is exactly what we'll find when we walk in at the time we're supposed to on our wedding day.”
 
JJ raised his hands defensively. “Sorry. I keep thinking it's Dee's wedding, so forgive me if I forget that it's being done professionally.”
 
Ryo laughed a little. “Yeah, I know. And it is Dee's wedding so far. Mine too, because I like everything Dee is choosing. And I did show Dee a few things that he decided he wanted too. Speaking of professionals, it's too bad you had to cancel out on Saturday night, JJ. Oh my God, I thought Dee was going to have heart failure once he figured out what was going on when Diana arrived.”
 
“Why? Did she bring plaid dresses for the wedding?” He winked in amusement.
 
Ryo laughed. “No. If only it was that simple. You heard us when we asked her to bring a narrowed down selection, like maybe five gowns for us to choose from. We were thinking she'd show up with pictures.” Ryo leaned on the table again. “Well, she shows up with a boutique owner, who just happened to be the same woman who did my mother's wedding gown, meaning she has affiliations to the MacLeans. They also had about 25 gowns, and an entourage including models to show them off to us, make-up artists, the whole deal. Right there in our living room. And our guest room was the dressing room.
 
JJ's jaw dropped, then a slow grin spread, until he burst out in laughter. “Oh my! I'll bet Dee was not the only one. Aw, too bad I was stuck at home with that 24 hour bug. Please tell me you took pictures.”
 
“We had Elena take them to help us in making the final selection. We did narrow it down some Saturday night.”
 
“Oh, may I see them?” JJ asked with pleading eyes.
 
“I don't have them on me, but we have them back at the office.”
 
“Good! I want to see!”
 
Ryo chuckled. “We're keeping price tags away from Dee. He already has this idea that they are expensive, but I'm not letting him know exactly how much. And, just like with the rest of the wedding, he doesn't want to know.
 
JJ laughed more.
 
“It's a damn shame that one gown is going to cost more than our tuxes together. And those are quite expensive too. High end Italian designer for us. We're yet to decide on what exactly, but Dee and I already have made our selections to try on this week. Then we'll make our final selections.”
 
“Ohh.. Italian tuxes. I'll bet you and Dee will look very sharp on your wedding day.”
 
“Italian for you too. Dee and I already picked out our groomsmen's tuxes. Which by the way,” Ryo remarked. He paused to pull out his wallet and take out a business card to hand to JJ. “Here. I forgot we need to give these out to you guys. Give a call to set up when will be a good time for your first fitting.”
 
JJ looked at the name on the card. “Marcel Chantrel,” he read aloud. “French?”
 
Ryo nodded. “Yup. His grandmother is the woman who will be handling the groomswomen's gowns.”
 
“Does Dee have at least a slight idea of how deep he got himself?” JJ asked.
 
“Yeah, he does. But he doesn't want to think about it. I'm afraid he'll start having anxiety if he does. Even if we can afford it all.” Ryo watched as JJ tucked the card away in a safe place. “Dee's tux is going to be the most expensive. It's being custom made to work with that lovely swell of his.” Ryo smiled tenderly. “And yet, it still doesn't match up to the price of one gown.”
 
“Aww. I'll bet he'll look dashing no matter what.”
 
Ryo nodded in agreement. “Yup. That he will.”
 
JJ looked over at the counter and sighed. “Aren't they done yet?”
 
“Nah,” Ryo remarked, deadpan. “They're still making Drake's.” He winked in amusement when JJ looked back at him. After JJ snorted in response, he added, “And Dee's, of course.”
 
“Dee's eating for two though. So that's okay.”
 
Ryo smirked. “Yeah, it is. But it still takes a while to make.” He laughed.
 
“You know though, Ryo, I'd take dealing with jokes about how much I eat if it means having a baby of my own. And everything that comes with it. Even all the bad that Dee grumbles about.”
 
“Oh?” He smirked. “Then talk to Dee some more about gas and bloating and how embarrassing that can get at times. You'll grumble too. But yeah, Dee did say you told him not too long ago that you were jealous of him being pregnant.”
 
“Oh heck yes!”
 
“Oh?”
 
“I mean, just imagine, a chibi of my own,” JJ replied. His voice turned soft, as his eyes took on a distant, dreamy look. “With blonde hair, brown eyes, cute little nose and an appetite like a lion. Aw, it'll be so cute.” He sighed dreamily.
 
Ryo's eyes were open wide. “Oh…. Really now?” He smirked again. “Gee, now where are you going to find a man like that?”
 
“Hm?” JJ's eyes focused on Ryo again. “Pardon. Did you say something?”
 
“Yeah,” Ryo replied. “That I'm glad the little JJ-chibi doesn't have almost black hair and green eyes.” He laughed.
 
JJ leaned back in his seat and shrugged. “Guess not. I mean, Dee's too busy having a little Ryo-chibi.”
 
“Yeah he is. And it's no less amazing than the day he first told me.” Ryo's smile was soft for a moment, before turning impish. “Okay then, blonde hair, brown eyes, and…” the smirk returned, “an appetite like a lion? Sounds awfully familiar to me. I'll have to look into that one.”
 
“Uh, well, blue eyes would be nice. Brown hair too. Or whatever comes my way. It takes two, you know? And at the moment there's only me.”
 
“I guess you do need a partner, huh?” Ryo looked thoughtful, and opened his mouth to say something, then closed it.
 
“What?”
 
“Nothing. Just one of those from my head to my mouth moments, but I caught it before it was too late. It's best to just stay in my head.”
 
“Aw c'mon, Ryo. I thought we're friends now. Friends can say anything, right?”
 
Ryo sighed. “Okay, but don't say I didn't warn you. I was just going to comment that it's been a while for you.”
 
“Been a while for… OH! Um, yeah. At least a few months. Don't get me wrong, but I'm no saint like Dee. No way I was going to wait until he decided he wanted me. Good thing too.” JJ laughed nervously, before looking back at the counter. “Still not ready yet. I'm starving!” he announced.
 
Ryo laughed at JJ's outburst. “God, I feel sorry for you if you do get pregnant. You'd be eating like, for four.” He laughed harder.
 
JJ blushed a little. “Well who knows,” he said, barely audible enough for Ryo to hear. “For all we know, I'll never find someone to have a baby with. And I'm not too keen on raising a child on my own.”
 
“Hey, looks like they're almost ready for us. I see half our order on the counter.”
 
“Finally!” JJ exclaimed.
 
“I hope Dee and Drake aren't commiserating over hunger pains. Poor Ted and Marty. I feel sorry if Drake ever gets married and has kids. He'd probably eat more than his wife,” Ryo remarked with a snicker. He cast a concealed glance at JJ to study the other man's reaction to his comment.
 
JJ's face darkened for just a moment before he turned to fully face Ryo. “Like they don't moan about being hungry themselves. Ted and Marty, that is. Especially Ted.”
 
“Ted just likes to moan… about anything,” Ryo commented, amused.
 
“See? That's the good thing about mood swings. At least Dee and I find some joy over some stuff, unlike some grouches we know.”
 
“Ted just needs to get laid,” Ryo commented dryly. Realizing he just had another of his from the head to the mouth moments, he blushed slightly.
 
“So do I,” JJ mumbled.
 
“Um, well mood swings. Thing is that you've been having them long before Dee ever got pregnant,” Ryo joked, hoping to move away from topic.
 
JJ nodded. “So Drake keeps telling me.” He cleared his throat. “Anyway, looks like they are done.” He stood up and headed over to the counter.
 
Ryo studied JJ in curiosity for a moment before he stood to follow his companion. Grabbing a couple of bags, he announced, “We eat a lot.” He grunted as he hefted the bags better to carry.
 
JJ laughed. “You know, come to think of it, all this isn't mostly Drake and Dee. Dude, that's scary.”
 
“You know we need to stop at the grocery store too.”
 
“We do?”
 
“Yeah. Remember? Dee's out of yogurt. And he's addicted to that stuff these days. You don't want to deal with mood swings if Dee doesn't have his yogurt, let me tell you.” He grimaced to make his point, which made JJ chuckle.
 
“You win. We make a quick stop. But hurry so the food doesn't get cold.”
 
Ryo nodded. “You think I want to put up with Dee's grouching about a cold burger? No way. It's going to be quick, believe me.”
 
“Don't you just have a rough life, Ryo,” JJ commented as they paid for their food.
 
“Oh yeah. That I do.” Ryo grinned at JJ. “And I wouldn't have it any other way, you know.”
 
########## ########## ########## ########## ##########
 
“Almost there,” Ryo remarked as they entered the elevator to go up to the 4th floor. “Prepare yourself for the attack of the hungry savages. Let's hope Dee's not in a mood swing. Mood swings and hungry….” Ryo shuddered. “Not a good combo.”
 
“I say we just drop the bags in their laps and look what they leave for us. Which is why I usually order something I know the rest of you don't like too much,” JJ remarked with a grin.
 
“Rest of `you'?” Ryo asked. “Are you including me?”
 
JJ nodded. “You can be just as bad when you're waiting for your food up there.”
 
Ryo glared at JJ, then looked down at the bags he was carrying. “I sure hope they got Dee's order right. If they put pickles on his cheeseburger again, he'll have a fit. Damn, I should have checked before we left.”
 
“So what? Just peel them off and hand them to Drake, like I always do,” JJ laughed.
 
“Easy for you. The burger will have pickle juice on it. So I had to hear the last time I took them off for myself,” Ryo remarked.
 
JJ rolled his eyes as the elevator doors opened. “Puh-lease,” he commented as they walked down the hallway. “And Dee used to eat just about anything in our Academy days. Sheesh. You must have spoiled him rotten!” JJ laughed as Ryo made a face. “And pickles? Dee loves pickles.”
 
“He used to eat anything, until recently. Now he'll have a fit if some foods touch other foods on his plate. He hates the taste of some foods, including pickles. And don't give him anything that came out of a can, because it tastes just like metal to him. Weird pregnancy stuff, I guess.”
 
Ryo sighed heavily. “I just learned to `yes dear' him when it happens. And we're not married yet.” He rolled his eyes as they approached the door to the main CI office.
 
“Aww, poor Wyo!” JJ teased, laughing.
 
Ryo looked back at JJ with a wicked look. “I'll tell you a secret, JJ. Between you and me, one of the reasons I'd like to have a baby one day is for revenge.”
 
JJ laughed as they entered the office.
 
“Lunch is here!” Ryo announced, as he went over toward the nearest desk, which was JJ's and currently occupied by Dee. He dropped his bags on the desk surface, then picked up the one with the yogurt.
 
“Finally!” Dee exclaimed, jumping up from his seat to grab a bag. He pulled out a paper bag and after looking in it, he tossed it to Ted. He took out the next bag and with a huge grin on his face, sat back down, the bag in his possession and leaving the others to fend for themselves now that he had his burger.
 
Ryo stepped back from the desk during Dee's attack on their lunch, almost bumping into JJ, who stood behind him. JJ steadied Ryo with one hand, and dropped the rest of the bags onto the desk.
 
Ryo watched as Dee already had the wrapper open and took a bite of his burger, leaning back in the chair with a happy sigh.
 
Drake leaned across the desk, going through the bags. “Hey, what about mine?”
 
Dee ignored Drake as he looked up at Ryo, smiling, before taking another bite.
 
JJ shook his head, watching Drake, noticing that Ted and Marty were about to push past his partner to start digging for their lunch. Ted got his burger, but wanted the rest of his lunch.
 
Ryo walked over to the other side of the desk to lean down and kiss Dee lightly. “Happy baby?” he asked. He leaned even further to kiss Dee's belly. “You too, chibi?”
 
With one arm, Dee pulled Ryo to sit in his lap. “Happy happy,” he replied as Ryo settled himself.
 
Behind Ryo, Drake found the bag with his lunch and planted himself on the desk, ripping the bag open to get to his lunch. Ted and Marty reached around him to look through the remaining bags to get their lunch.
 
As Ryo placed an arm around Dee's neck to softly stroke the hair on the back of his head, Dee took another bite. “This is the best cheesebur….” He stopped abruptly, making a face. “Ewww…” He poked at his burger and pulled out a pickle slice. “Pickles! Bah!”
 
Ryo watched Dee in concern and shook his head when he saw the pickle slice. “Oh no. They didn't. Baby, I'm so sorry. I told them no pickles.”
 
Drake twisted to reach behind him toward Dee's sandwich. “I'll take those if you don't want them, dude. They forgot them on mine.”
 
“So what's on your sandwich, dude?” Dee asked. “Because now there's pickle goo all over mine.”
 
Drake smirked at Dee. “Roast beast!” he proclaimed, then took a huge bite from the sandwich.
 
JJ laughed at Drake's antics, then shook his head at the pitiful look on Dee's face as he watched Drake further enjoy his lunch. “Drake, don't pick on Dee too much, `cause we'll all have to hear him for the rest of the day.”
 
Ryo glared at Drake, then caressing Dee's cheek, he gently said, “Let me check mine. I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich, and it's not supposed to come with pickles.” He picked up his sandwich to inspect it.
 
Dee started hungrily at Ryo's sandwich, a mournful look on his face. For a moment, Ryo was afraid Dee would start whining.
 
“Aw man,” Drake stated to Dee. “Now you won't eat your sandwich, dude. I'll take it so it won't go to waste.”
 
“Drake,” JJ warned.
 
“Here baby,” Ryo said, ignoring Drake. He handed Dee his chicken sandwich, and took the offending cheeseburger for his own lunch. “Stuff it, Drake,” he remarked. “This is my lunch now.” He took a hearty bite out of it to punctuate his point.
 
Drake snorted, then went back to finishing his sandwich, fishing his onion rings out of the bag with his free hand.
 
Ryo continued to watch Drake, noting out of the corner of his eyes that Dee was happily eating the chicken sandwich. Ryo took another bite of the burger and after swallowing, asked, “Hey Drake, you pregnant too, or what?”
 
Dee paused eating his sandwich to laugh at Ryo's comment. Ted and Marty snickered.
 
“Oh, he's going to have a sympathy bump,” JJ commented breezily.
 
Ryo laughed at JJ's remark.
 
“Oh?” Dee asked, attempting to keep a straight face. He gazed up at Ryo. “And how would you know?”
 
Drake frowned. “Don't go there, dudes,” he warned.
 
Ryo shook his head. “Because Drake seems to eat for three, at the least,” he replied to Dee with a wink.
 
Ted and Marty busted out laughing, Ted almost choking on his food.
 
With a teasing smile, JJ reached over to pat Drake's small pot belly, as if to say, “Ain't it visible?” He noticed the frown on his partner deepen. “Aw, are you grumpy too?” he asked in a tone as if speaking to a child.
 
Everyone laughed at JJ, except Drake, who's frown got darker.
 
“Bite me, JJ!” Drake snapped. “That's called weight lifting.”
 
Dee put his sandwich down, afraid he'd drop it from laughing too hard.
 
Ryo started to rub his own partner's swell. “I also got you some steamed veggies and cut fruit.”
 
Opposite of Drake's pulling away from JJ's touch, Dee pushed his belly more into Ryo's touch with a sigh. “You're my angel,” he stated gratefully.
 
With a gentle smile, Ryo kissed Dee's nose. “Got to keep you two healthy.”
 
JJ peered at Drake. “What weightlifting? You don't even go to the gym lately.”
 
“You don't know my entire schedule,” Drake retorted. “Besides….” He pretended to lift a beer can and chug it down. “Dude, weight lifting.”
 
“Yeah, the weight gets lifted off the bar and straight onto your abs,” JJ retorted.
 
Dee turned his face up to give Ryo a proper kiss. Ryo briefly returned Dee's kiss. “Eat your lunch, Dee. I thought you were hungry. After you eat, there will be more of this.”
 
“Okay,” Dee replied to Ryo with a grin. He started to wolf down the rest of the sandwich, along with the veggies.
 
“Exactly!” Drake started to JJ. “It's a science, you know.” He looked smug.
 
Ryo laughed at Drake, before going back to his lunch. He noticed Dee wholeheartedly eating his meal. “Dee,” he warned. “Take human bites.”
 
“You,” JJ announced to Drake, “are the sad experiment or what?” He poked Drake's forehead with the tip of his finger as he spoke.
 
Drake scowled at JJ. “So what are you trying to say here?”
 
JJ shrugged, appearing all innocent and clueless.
 
“Dude,” Dee remarked, swallowing his latest bite of his almost finished lunch, “he's trying to let you know you're getting fat and unlike me, you don't have a good excuse.” He grinned innocently up at Drake and made a show out of taking a bite of what was left of the chicken sandwich.
 
Drake stared at Dee, not believing what he heard his long time friend say. He was totally speechless and unable to form a comeback.
 
Ryo started to cough, finding himself laughing at what Dee had to say as he was swallowing a bite of his hamburger. Dee started to rub Ryo's back, helping him catch his breath.
 
Drake looked at JJ uneasily. “It's just a little thing. I'm not fat,” he defended.
 
“Uh, I never said that, Drake.” JJ tossed a look at Dee, then back to Drake. “I know you're not. And I want it to stay that way. There's no use for a partner who starts huffing and wheezing somewhere behind me as we chase after some perps.”
 
Dee bit his tongue, willing to keep himself from making further comments. He had a list, but decided to use the energy on finishing his lunch. He gave Ryo, who was still comfortably settled on his lap, a hidden slight nudge, then found he had to clamp down on more than a chuckle.
 
Ryo had a smirk on his face, telling him, he was having no problem eating and tossing out sarcasm. “Like Chief,” he added to JJ's comment. He snickered at the surprised look on Dee's face and leaned over to nip Dee's nose lightly.
 
Marty broke out in laughter, while Ted fought to keep from spitting out his soda. Dee snorted and coughed a little from the bite he had taken as Ryo spoke, trying not to laugh until he swallowed his food.
 
JJ watched the exchange between the two lovers, feeling envious of them being so open. Ryo especially, who since New Year's Eve, had become quite comfortable with public displays of affection with Dee. Meanwhile Dee was eating it all up, happily accepting what Ryo gave him, and returning the gestures.
 
Ryo glanced at the door, just to be sure Chief Smith did not walk in. It would be his luck, he thought belatedly. Right on top of that thought was the realization that if the Chief had, they all would have known by then.
 
“Seriously,” Ryo said to Drake. “I don't know where most of that food goes to, Drake. You may have…that…but,” he paused to snicker, “the way you eat, you should already be giving Chief competition in the gut area.”
 
Drake shrugged. “Fast metabolism. That's what. Jealous?” His eyes met Ryo's with a challenge as he took a big bite of his sandwich.
 
JJ let out a heavy sigh. “Praise the Lord for Drake's metabolism,” he announced sarcastically, rolling his eyes.
 
Dee snorted, and joined Marty and Ted in snickering at the banter.
 
Ryo looked at JJ. “Yeah, I agree. Or else he'd get stuck in a doorway or something.”
 
JJ's eyes went wide with horror. “Ack!” he exclaimed.
 
“Hey, what is this?” Drake grumped. “Pick on Drake day?”
 
“That'd make him the Oliphant Man,” Dee once again joined in on the banter, picking up on Ryo's comment.
 
Ryo almost fell off Dee's lap from laughing so hard. Drake frowned as he attempted to ignore the others, eating his lunch.
 
“Aw, I like Oliphants,” JJ remarked, casting a glance at Drake.
 
“We sorta noticed,” Ted muttered.
 
“Oh yeah, fine,” Drake remarked, grabbing for a napkin. “Why don't you two lovebirds just pick yourselves up and go into that nice little special office there and let me eat in peace.”
 
Ryo nudged Dee not to comment. Dee's mouth clamped shut just as he was about to say something.
 
“At least JJ's got him trained to use napkins,” Marty laughed.
 
JJ sat closer to Drake and ruffled his hair. “Aww, Drakey-pooh,” he sighed. “It's okay. I know you're not that bad.”
 
“Yet,” Dee snorted into his sandwich. Ryo poked him again as he snickered. Ryo looked over to Drake and JJ to check if Drake had heard Dee.
 
He noticed JJ attempting to comfort Drake. Ryo had seen that scenario many times before, but not exactly like that. He rolled his eyes, getting Dee's attention to look at the other two. “Ah gods, they've reversed rolls now,” he said, amused.
 
“Look who's talking!” Ted remarked with a laugh.
 
Dee leaned so his mouth was by Ryo's ear. “How can he just sit there and not react?” he asked in a whisper for Ryo's ears only.
 
Ryo shrugged.
 
“I mean, even you would have a reaction when I'd do something like that to you,” Dee added.
 
“Yeah, I had a reaction, all right,” Ryo stated, also in a whisper. “I usually was pushing you off, you horny ape.”
 
Dee laughed. “And yet, look at what you did to the horny ape,” he commented, grasping Ryo's hand and resting it on his swell.
 
“Dee…” Ryo sighed, smiling. He kissed Dee lightly. “Okay, you win.”
 
“Yup, yup,” Marty stated, his eyes on Ryo and Dee. “I agree.”
 
Ryo and Dee looked over to Ted and Marty, Ryo giving a shrug.
 
Marty snickered, giving Ted the thumbs-up, then went back to eating his lunch while watching what the others were up to.
 
Drake pulled away from JJ's hand with a jerk. “C'mon, cut it out, JJ,” he snapped. “You're messing up the hair gel, dammit!”
 
JJ pulled his hand away from Drake as if he had gotten burned. “Sorry,” he uttered. He dropped his head a second, before handing Drake the rest of his sandwich. “Here, you can have that. I'm not hungry anymore.” He stood up and walked across the office, grabbing an empty shopping bag. He started to busy himself by collecting the garbage from their lunch.
 
Ryo continued to eat, watching JJ and Drake carefully.
 
Drake looked down at the sandwich in his hand, then gazed over to JJ. “What? Geez, there you go again!” he said to JJ.
 
“Oh oh,” Dee observed, speaking low to Ryo.
 
“I'm going to put this in the fridge,” Drake said, standing up and indicating the sandwich as he spoke to JJ. “Because you'll probably get hungry later.”
 
Ryo nodded in agreement. “Yeah.”
 
“Just eat it,” JJ snapped. “I don't like it all that much anyway.”
 
Ryo rolled his eyes. “How did we survive it?” he asked.
 
Dee ran his hand up and down Ryo's back soothingly. He smiled lovingly at Ryo. “Because I was being so damn patient?”
 
Ted sat back in his seat, his eyes going from JJ and Drake, to Ryo and Dee whispering, and back again. Who needed a TV when there were those four around? Life was never boring.
 
Ryo rolled his eyes at Dee's comment. “Not that.”
 
“Oh! You mean after we…?” He shrugged. “No idea. Self preservation, I guess.” He leaned up for a quick kiss.
 
“Mmm…” Ryo sighed into the kiss. “Better stop. Pickles are an aphrodisiac for me.”
 
Dee snorted, gazing up at Ryo through eyes hooded by long dark lashes. “Oh? Hmm, maybe I do like pickles after all,” he stated with a wink.
 
“Well, I'm going to bring Jim his shake, since he doesn't appear to be making it up here.” He grabbed the untouched shake and went to the door.
 
Dee's eyes fell on the, until then, unnoticed shake. He turned pleading green eyes up to Ryo. “I want one of those.”
 
“Be good and we'll stop off near home for one.” Ryo kissed Dee's nose.
 
“Yes!” Dee smiled. “Okay, Chibi, you have some time to decide which type you want.”
 
Drake watched JJ leave the office in a huff. He ran a hand through his hair, trying to fix it. “Jesus, I hate it when he gets on the rag!”
 
Dee frowned at Drake, looking insulted. “Hey now,” he warned.
 
“Dude, you don't get on the rag. You're just pregnant.”
 
“We're all males,” Dee said. “No rags for us!” He winked at Ryo.
 
Ryo snorted loudly, letting all in the office know what he thought of that comment. He smiled sweetly at Dee. “But I still love you.”
 
Dee's eyes went to the door. With a wicked gleam in his eyes, he said, “Who knows, maybe JJ's pregnant too? He did say he wanted one of his own as soon as he found out about ours?”
 
Ryo shook his head, chuckling.
 
“No he's not!” Drake snapped.
 
“Um, Drake,” Ryo called out. “Maybe JJ needs help…” realizing what JJ left with, he lamely finished his question, “with the shake?”
 
Dee pinched Ryo's side gently, snorted softly. “I thought you were going to tell Drake to help JJ with a baby,” Dee muttered just for Ryo to hear. He started to laugh, resting his forehead on Ryo's arm.
 
Ryo lowered his head, and bit his lip to keep from bursting out in laughter at Dee's comment. A snort still escaped.
 
Drake glared at Ryo. “And JJ's much stronger than you're giving him credit for.” He frowned even deeper than he already was.
 
Dee snickered, looking up at Drake from behind Ryo. “Even if he's on the rag?” he joked.
 
Ted rummaged around in his desk drawer and pulled out a bag of popcorn. “It's not fresh microwave,” he said to Marty, opening the bag. He sat back in his chair, starting to eat the popcorn, watching the others.
 
“What I mean is,” Ryo tried clarifying himself, “he's upset, he's your partner, go take care of him man!”
 
Dee nodded in agreement.
 
“Aw, dammit!” Drake threw the remains of his sandwich on the desk. “Now I'm not hungry. Shit!” He glanced over at Ryo. “I suppose I should. As always,” he sighed, walking across the office to the door.
 
Meanwhile in the hallway, JJ was leaning against the door, listening to everything going on in the office since he left. When he heard Drake's voice coming closer to the door, he ran off to flee down the stairs.
 
Ted held out his popcorn to Marty, who grabbed a handful and nodded his thanks. Both men went back to watching the lunchtime entertainment.
 
Dee shook his head. “What did we just say about how we survived that? Sheesh.”
 
Ryo nodded. “You didn't push that bad and I didn't push you away that bad either, I think,” he replied.
 
“You call that pushing bad?” Dee asked. “Damn baby, we're talking JJ here. He's playing it as cool as it can get - for him.
 
“See you all later,” Drake called out. “If I survive, that is.” He walked out of the office, leaving his mess on the desk.
 
“Oh man,” Marty sighed as Drake left.
 
“Man, you two weren't that bad during that, uh, hiding time of yours,” Ted commented to Dee and Ryo, making the two to look up guiltily from whispering. “Were you?”
 
Dee shook his head.
 
“I hope not,” Ryo sighed.
 
########## ########## ########## ########## ##########
 
A/N: Once again, great big thanks and hugs to you reviewers! And I really shouldn't forget those who just read. It's amazing how many hits this fic has gotten. YAY! Thanks to everyone! I was recently told that The Unexpected I is on FFN's Greatest Anime Fics community.
It made me think more about things and… as a result the chapters of TU II on my LJ are no longer just for friends. They are now public for anyone who goes there to read. And here's where you go, if you want: http://totally4ryo.livejournal.com/
Umm yeah… that name just might look familiar… `cause that's me too - posting my non-mpreg FAKE fics. I'll continue to post TU as FAKEmpregnator (only because I like the name so much! LOL!).
Special thanks to Dawn for doing once again an awesome job at beta, and DeeRyoFan who helped out with most of this chapter.
And here's wishing everyone a very Happy Holidays and may you all get what you wish for!