Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected II ❯ Southern Inhospitality ( Chapter 31 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: The Unexpected II
Chapter 29 - Southern Inhospitality
Rating: R
Fandom: FAKE
Pairings: Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
Disclaimer: FAKE is not mine. We have Sanami Matoh for giving us Dee, Ryo and the rest of the 27th precinct characters. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
 
Minutes after the word came from downstairs that the newlyweds were on their way to the airport, most of the guests went back to mingling, gravitating toward the family to extend their well wishes, and once again compliment the wedding. The dessert bar was still open, along with coffee, tea and soft drinks.
 
Rose searched among the wedding party, and found most of his men together, along with the others from the wedding party. Some of them looked as if they were getting ready to leave themselves. He went over to the group, stopping next to Diana, who was once again dabbing her eyes.
 
“Don't they just look so happy?” Diana asked as he placed his arm around her.
 
“Yes, they did. I hope they enjoy their honeymoon and forgot about everything going on here during the time,” Rose said. “Because I dread when they return.”
 
Diana nodded.
 
“Adams, Parker,” Rose called out. When the two men looked in his direction, he said, “Party time is over. I allowed this to go on long enough, but I was not going to raise Ryo and Dee's suspicions during their wedding. The less they knew, the better they'll enjoy their honeymoon. However, gather everyone and meet us back at the precinct in an hour.”
 
Drake frowned, but JJ looked completely forlorn. “Yes sir,” JJ sighed. “I was hoping to have some more time off, but you're right.”
 
Rose nodded.
 
“Thankfully no one mentioned anything about yesterday's findings,” Drake stated. “So as far as we know, they don't know anything about it.”
 
“Good. Now let's work on how to keep a couple of other things out of the media. It's been a lovely wedding, gentlemen. We'll see you back at work,” Rose said, then escorted Diana toward the door.
 
“Berkeley, we can't just go without at least taking our leave with Mother Lane and Ryo's grandparents,” Diana protested.
 
“Yes. Yes, of course, you're right. I'm sorry, Diana. I've been on edge since we arrived for the wedding yesterday, worrying that Dee will find out some things I'd rather keep from him until he's back. And hopefully by then, it won't matter. I was putting a lot of faith that newlywed couples don't read the newspaper on their first morning as a married couple.”
 
“It's okay now, Berks. Let's go take our leave, then I'll need to take a quick stop to put on something more suited for work.”
 
“Then let's get going.” With satisfaction, he noticed Drake and JJ, along with Ted and Marty, checking in with the immediate family before heading out.
 
### ### ###
 
Drake and JJ entered the CI squad room, finding Marty and Ted already there.
 
“Do you have any idea what time we'll be cut loose today?” Ted asked.
 
Drake shook his head. “Nope.”
 
“At least you and JJ have second shift today. But Marty and I were supposed to have today off,” Ted complained.
 
“Quit your whining,” Rose's voice came into the office. He entered with Diana. “Believe me, gentlemen, if I didn't feel it was so important, I would have gladly enjoyed the rest of my day off too. But we have a job to do. Montgomery and Martinson, I assume you are aware that we had two new victims yesterday?”
 
Marty and Ted nodded. “And we have Janet to thank for causing a bigger delay, which made it possible to keep it from Dee and Ryo that some of their wedding party was running late because they were at new scenes,” Marty stated.
 
Diana laughed. “Oh my. Now that it all turned out for the better, it is funny. I'm sorry. Janet's little mishap that is.”
 
Rose leaned against one of the desks. “Sit down, everyone, and let's get going then. Drake and JJ probably know the most out of us. However, I did make some calls this morning before showing up for the brunch, and found out a few rather disturbing details.”
 
“Like what, sir?” Ted asked.
 
“Like the Queens M.E. is giving the red-tape line to us regarding the Corona victim's autopsy. Our Battery Park victim's autopsy is scheduled for 3:30 this afternoon. Parker and Adams, I expect you to be there. Then follow up with C.S.U. on what else do they have on both victims. See if you can get the belongings of both victims signed into your custody. I don't care what those Queens detectives have to say about it,” Rose said. “Now listen up, because I don't want anyone in this room to take this the wrong way. Diana and I will be working this afternoon on turning this case over to the FBI.” He still expected mouths to open, starting to protest. “Hear me out, gentlemen. Diana is hoping to get the case. That is what we are working for. Then Parker and Adams will still remain the catching detectives on this case, working with the FBI. Martinson and Montgomery, you will give any assistance you can while working other cases. If we end up with more bodies in the other boroughs and out of our jurisdiction, I still want pull on the cases. This will be the only way. Those detectives over in Queens are dragging their feet over this case. At least they put in 24 hours in obtaining whatever information they can get, but they're finding excuses as of this morning to go for 48. I don't want that to happen. The 1st in lower Manhattan isn't giving us trouble and willing to work together with us.”
 
Groans came around the room. “So we have our brothers in Queens with some prejudice problems?” JJ asked.
 
Rose nodded. He pointed to Ted and Marty. “I know today was to be a day off, but I need you to head over to Queens with Diana later this afternoon, to pick up the slack we're getting over there. So help me, if I need to call a press conference to clear up why Manhattan detectives are putting their noses in the Queens jurisdiction, and cry prejudice, I will. But I'm trying to avoid it. The less profile we have, except for the occasional statement to assure we're still busting ass on this case, the less chance of another important fact leaking out. And at least until Dee and Ryo return from their honeymoon, I want this out of the press. I don't want to take a chance of them reading the Times, or Daily News online or watching CNN and hearing about this.”
 
Drake frowned. “I doubt they'd come running back from the Bahamas because they found out there were new victims.”
 
“You ask me, I think that it would give Ryo more a reason to keep Dee away from here and safe for at least that time,” Marty added.
 
“It's not just the victims. It's what C.S.U. told me was found on the Queens victim. It escaped notice from their detectives, thank goodness. So far, we're the only ones who know, thanks to good friends in the right places. So Drake and JJ, you'll have to go over to the Bronx and pick up photos of that very important piece of evidence.”
 
“We have evidence?” Drake asked, hopefully.
 
“So far they can't find anything to run checks on, but there was a note left behind. Within the Corona victim.”
 
“Within?” JJ asked.
 
Rose nodded. “Yes. Inside the incision made to remove the fetus.”
 
“What did that note say?” Ted asked.
 
Rose sighed. He removed his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose. Diana's mouth was a thin line. “Diana, would you please inform them, since officially, the FBI retains custody of the evidence?”
 
Diana looked at the faces of the men she had come to know as friends. “It said, that unless the NYPD lets go of any active duty Carriers, starting next week, the killings will increase weekly, the toll going up by one for each week we don't make a public statement that we purged the NYPD of all Carriers.” She cleared her throat. “And we should start with Dee.”
 
Shocked looks stared back at her. She nodded. “Yes, according to the person I spoke to at C.S.U. this morning, Dee's name was mentioned in the note.”
 
“Holy shit,” Ted muttered. “Now I understand why you made sure we played it off as all is normal.” He looked over to Rose.
 
“Indeed. I believe I know Dee well enough that it would probably put an end to their honeymoon,” Rose stated.
 
“Or the start of a very long vacation, because I'm afraid Dee will just turn in his badge and gun for the sake of any potential victims,” Diana added.
 
The others nodded.
 
“Yeah, he would,” JJ agreed. “Dee may act like a hard-ass, or even a jerk-off about doing work, but he cares. That's why he says he can't see himself doing anything else. But this would make him change his mind, simply because he does care.”
 
Rose sighed again. “As you can guess, we have our work cut out for us in the next two weeks. Do not mention this anywhere outside this office, because I won't have it leaked to the press.”
 
“What if our killer decides to leak it, when he hears nothing?” Marty asked with a frown.
 
“Then we'll deal with the damage control then. In the meantime, I believe it would not be a bad idea to come up with a couple of plans just in case.”
 
JJ stood up. “In other words, you want us to work overtime and catch this bastard before Ryo and Dee return from their honeymoon.”
 
“That's exactly what I'm hoping for, Detective Adams. Now if you gentlemen would start heading out to your assigned positions and check back with me every two hours. I don't care how small it might seem, I want to know. Meanwhile, Diana and I will be working on getting the case turned over to the FBI, so we'll have total jurisdiction, regardless of where our next victim turns up. After that, we'll be joining you out in the field. That's all for now.”
 
“Yes, sir,” Drake replied. He looked at the other men. “Well, you heard them. If for nothing else, this time it's for Dee.”
 
Heads nodded and they all prepared to head out in hopes of obtaining information that would lead them to finding their killer.
 
### ### ###
 
After the disturbing start, the rest of the flight went well. Dee felt only mildly uncomfortable, but was able to sleep through more than half the flight. When they arrived at the airport in Atlanta, and went to get their luggage, they noticed they were getting more stares and glares than they would in New York. Many people stared at Dee particularly, then turned their heads in disgust. A young mother quickly ushered her children away from them as they entered the baggage claim area.
 
Ryo maintained his arm around Dee, both men acting as if they did not notice anything amiss. Inside the baggage claim, they found a man in a livery uniform, holding a sign simply saying, “Laytner-MacLean”. He was their driver, and the man helped them take their luggage out to the waiting limo. Dee let out a visible sigh of relief once they were in the car, and Ryo allowed himself to relax. Both men could not wait until they arrived at the hotel, glad of plans to eat in the room and not go out until the next morning when they left to catch their flight to Miami.
 
The driver was not rude to them, but he was not overly friendly either. He was merely professional, doing his job. As he turned over their luggage to a bellhop at the hotel, and got into the car, it was easy to see his relief to getaway from them.
 
Ryo gritted his teeth as he took out a five dollar bill, regretting to give the driver even that much. It did not occur to him, Dee or anyone involved in planning their honeymoon that some parts of the south was still severely conservative about certain issues. Carriers, they were quickly discovering, was one of them in Atlanta. Ryo decided once they were settled in their room, and he got Dee to take a nap, he was going to look into some websites for Carrier friendly businesses. There had to be at least one limo company in the area. Once he found it, he intended to cancel the pick up the next morning with the company they currently had reservations with.
 
The bellhop glared at Dee before pushing the luggage cart just inside the main lobby of the hotel, and stopped, leaving Ryo and Dee to continue on their way to the front desk. They did not see the bellhop chuckle as he glanced down the window to the street to affirm their ride was pulling away from the loading zone.
 
They stopped before the front desk. Dee had never before in his life felt so acutely uncomfortable from stares in his life. It took all the attitude he had gathered through his life to keep his head held high and not hang like he found himself wanting to do. He wanted to strike out at everyone who made it known they had a problem with him, and he wanted to run from the looks of disgust.
 
Ryo's face muscles were taunt, just as the rest of his body was. He maintained a hand on Dee's back, and was ready to jump into action to defend Dee and himself, should anyone decide to take their prejudice to the physical level.
 
Dee caught the attention of the front desk clerk. “Excuse me,” he called out, trying to sound normal.
 
“Oh, I'm sorry, gentlemen, but we are full for the night,” the clerk said, the apology clearly phony.
 
“That's nice,” Dee remarked. “Good thing we have reservations, huh? Laytner-MacLean, for one night.”
 
The clerk studied Dee, then Ryo, and all but turned his back on them as he went to the computer. “Laytner-MacLean,” he repeated. “How would you spell that?”
 
“L-A-Y-T-N-E-R hyphen M-A-C-L-E-A-N,” Ryo enunciated slowly. “I have our confirmation number, if that will help.”
 
“I'm sorry, sirs. I don't see it in our system. And we just booked our last room for the night about a half hour ago, according to our system.”
 
Dee and Ryo exchanged a glance.
 
“We had a reservation for the Grand Honeymoon suite,” Ryo stated. “Surely someone did not just grab that up last minute.” He glared at the clerk, seeing through the deception.
 
“That we did. I'm so sorry, but I guess you'll have to find somewhere else to stay, yes?”
 
Dee drummed his fingers on the wood counter. “I think not. We have had these reservations for a week and a half now. So perhaps whoever you had so suddenly given the suite to can find somewhere else to stay.” He sneered at the clerk. “Yes?”
 
The clerk sighed. “This is a fine establishment.”
 
“And? So?” Ryo snapped, pulling a paper out of an appointment book in his carry on. He slapped it on the desk. “You see this here? This is our confirmation for the suite for tonight, March 12, 2006. As you can see, we already have paid for it. I can show you the account history on the card and show you that the money has already been taken for this reservation. So I don't care if the President is in that damn suite, you will explain that there has been a mix up to whomever is in that room, and have them leave. Do you understand me? Just because you have a problem with gays, gives you no excuse to steal our money. Because this is theft.”
 
The clerk looked at Ryo, meeting his eyes. “We will gladly refund the money for the mix up. Because I'm sure you don't understand, and surely whoever you made the reservations with did not know, but, while we can tolerate homosexuals, as I stated to your… partner, this is a fine establishment. As such, his kind…” the clerks eyes went to Dee, “are not welcome here.”
 
Dee thankfully moved quicker than Ryo and caught his husband before the brown haired man was able to jump the counter. “Ryo!” Dee snapped. “Don't! Do you want to give these assholes the satisfaction of spending our honeymoon in jail?”
 
“I'll tell you what will give me satisfaction,” Ryo growled, clenching his fists and glaring daggers at the clerk. “But you're right, Dee. We'll take our business somewhere else. In fact, we'll make sure everyone we know will take their business elsewhere too.”
 
The clerk snorted. “That would be highly advisable. Should I call a cab for you?”
 
Dee stood his ground, shooting a nasty glare at the clerk. “Don't hold your breath.” To Ryo, he said, “Did you forget why we selected this particular hotel for our stay tonight. And why we picked Atlanta in the first place?”
 
“Oh!” Ryo remarked, and took out his cell phone. He pressed a speed dial button and waited until her heard the call picked up. “Grandma? Yes, we're in Atlanta. And you know what? There are assholes running this hotel.”
 
“Randy!” Estelle remarked. “What happened now? Tell me, and I'll fix it.”
 
The clerk rolled his eyes and laughed. “The little queer has to call his granny to cry to,” he muttered.
 
Dee's stormy eyes settled on the clerk, hearing what he said. “I hope you don't need your job, shithead,” he remarked. Taking out his cell phone, he turned his back on the clerk and walked away from the counter, ignoring the looks of others mingling near the front desk. He went over to the rail, and looked up as he dialed the reservations number for the hotel. The rest of the “lobby” of the hotel raised above him for another 12 floors. When someone answered the phone, asking if they could help him, he said, “Yes. Hi. I know it's last minute, but do you have any rooms available for your hotel in Atlanta? My wife and I just eloped and I would love to make up to her for the rush wedding by having a very luxurious hotel for our wedding night.”
 
“Just one minute, sir.” Dee waited, glancing back to see Ryo pacing madly, as he continued to rant on the phone to his grandmother. “Sir? We have a sudden opening for the grand honeymoon suite for tonight. It's very pricy, so I'll have to take a confirmed reservation with a credit card.”
 
“No problem,” Dee replied, taking out his own credit card and making the reservation. As he came close to the end of the transaction, he started to walk back to the front desk, scribbling the confirmation number on a piece of paper he grabbed from a table. “Honey,” he called out to Ryo. “I hear there's a honeymoon suite suddenly available here for tonight.” To the reservation clerk, he said, “I thank you very much for your help, ma'am. Have a good night.”
 
Ryo paused from his conversation to look over at Dee, then to glare at the desk clerk. “Oh? How odd.”
 
Dee slapped the paper on the desk. “I'd like to have our room now,” he demanded.
 
“Apparently whomever you spoke to overbooked for the night.”
 
“Bullshit!” Dee growled.
 
“Grandma,” Ryo said. “I'd please like you to talk to the desk clerk who told us that `our kind' isn't allowed here.” He held out his cell to the clerk. “Estelle MacLean would like to talk to you.”
 
“Okay, so Estelle MacLean wants to talk to me. Big deal. I'll tell your granny the same thing I told you. We still don't allow freaks like him here.”
 
Dee's eyes went wide and he backed away from the desk a step, feeling tears well up in his eyes. He quickly turned away, finally dropping his head, not wanting to give anyone the satisfaction of seeing him near tears. His hands were clenched in fists.
 
Ryo slammed his hand on the desk, making everything on it rattle from the force. A vase with flowers tipped over. “THAT'S IT!” he roared. “We don't have to take this shit from you, or anyone else. Fuck it! We're going somewhere else!”
 
“Good luck with finding something decent as long as you have him,” the clerk stated with a sneer. “Now if you don't stop yelling expletives and making threatening gestures, I will see to it that your stay will be in jail. I'll give you five minutes to leave before I call the police.”
 
From Ryo's cell, they heard a very irate voice come loudly over the phone. “You put your manager on right now!”
 
The clerk grabbed the phone Ryo had placed on the counter during his rant. “Ma'am, I'm sorry, but this hotel has codes. This hotel is designated as a Carrier-free zone.”
 
“I'll have you know I own that hotel and my grandson, whom you are giving a hard time will inherit it one day. And pass it on to his child, the child that the man whom you called a `freak' is Carrying.”
 
Ryo narrowed his eyes, giving the clerk a dangerous look. “Manager. Now. And before you think about calling the police….” He held up his wallet with his shield that he had taken out of his carry on. “It's already too fuckin' late. `Cause we are the police. Obviously for a better city than this one.”
 
Dee pulled himself together and turned to face Ryo again. “Bastard,” he snapped to the clerk as he turned. He also showed the clerk his shield. “Surprise. This is a sting operation.” He sneered at the clerk.
 
The clerk started to look nervous, gulping as he looked from the shield to Ryo's stormy look. “Um, be right back.”
 
Ryo picked up the phone as the clerk scampered quickly to the office. “Grandma, I'll call you back. Thanks for putting in a good word for us.” He blew a kiss into the phone and hung up, placing it into his jacket pocket. “Once I give them a piece of my mind, we're finding somewhere else to stay,” he told Dee, looking over at his husband with concern. “There has to be at least one Carrier-friendly hotel in this goddamn city.”
 
Dee sighed heavily, leaning against the counter. “I like this hotel, despite the assholes in it. I want to stay here. I'm tired, and achy from the travel. And I'm not feeling so well at the moment. I just want to get into a room, any room, and shut the damned door and relax.”
 
Ryo put his arm around Dee again. He heard the rest that Dee did not say. Dee wanted to close the door and hide from the insensitive jerks around them. “Baby, why don't you go sit down while I handle this? If you want a room here, we'll get a room here.” He leaned up to kiss Dee. “I promise I'll make sure there are no witnesses.” He winked at Dee.
 
Dee hugged Ryo. “Don't hurt anyone. Okay? I'd hate for you to carry me into our honeymoon suite with you having blood on your clothes.”
 
Ryo chuckled. “Yes dear,” he remarked and kissed Dee again. “Now sit down and get off your feet. I love you.”
 
“Love you too.” Dee went to sit down on a couch in the area by the front desk. He ignored the man and woman who were sitting on another couch get up, and while walking away, glaring at him.
 
The manager came out from the office. “What's this about the owner's grandson?” he asked, coming over to Ryo.
 
Ryo was on his cell phone again and held up a finger to the manager, hardly sparing him a glance. Making the manager wait, he turned his back to start talking into the phone. “Hello? Is this the Carrier Anti-Defamation Hotline? Do you happen to have all of Atlanta listed as an Anti-Carrier zone? No? Well, we are downtown. At the Peachtree Plaza hotel. It's not a good environment, considering you just said that downtown is supposed to be Carrier-friendly. But I'm calling to report the hotel staff of this particular hotel. Please hold on and listen to this while I deal with the hotel manager.”
 
He turned to face the manager again. “You see that pregnant man over there?” Ryo asked, indicating Dee. He noticed Dee take out his cell and answer it. Ryo was wondering who would be calling, knowing Dee was on his honeymoon. “Your receptionist called him a freak. To his face. Twice.” Before the manager could respond, he added, “I'm Detective Randy Ryo Laytner-MacLean. That gentleman there happens to be my new husband. And he is Carrying the great-grandchild of Franklin and Estelle MacLean. My grandparents. The owners of this hotel.” He gave the manager what those he worked with termed the smile of doom.
 
The manager looked from Dee, who was still talking on the phone and looking in their direction, back to Ryo. “We usually do not allow Carriers to stay here. It upsets the normal guests. Our hotel has a reputation of being a safe haven from those genetic mutants.”
 
Ryo's eyes grew large, before becoming dark slits. “Funny how you don't see that claim on your webpage,” he commented.
 
“Of course not, Mr. Laytner-MacLean,” the man still on the phone stated, having hearing the manager's reply. “Because it would be illegal, since the Petre-Allen law passed in 2002, making it illegal for establishments to discriminate based on race, sex, sexual orientation and Carrier status.”
 
Ryo snorted. “I hear you.” To the manager and the man on the phone, he said, “I also know my grandparents, who recently purchased this hotel, has a mission statement for their hotel chain, stating it will not deny people based on the same.”
 
“Sir, we are a 5-diamond establishment,” the manager said.
 
“And you, your desk clerk and staff are about to have your asses sued.”
 
“Of course,” the manager said in a tone hoping to placate the furious man before him, “if you prove that you are indeed the heir of Franklin MacLean, we can accommodate you. The general staff does not know the name of the previous owner, never mind the new one. The hotel was just acquired in the last few months. And I had just recently come on duty, and did not have a chance to review the database for today's guest to check for any names that should be flagged for possible distinctive service.”
 
Ryo rolled his eyes and pulled out his passport, his NY driver's license and his work ID. “I'd like to make it clear that we're only staying here because my husband is tired, upset and needs to lay down as soon as possible. This has been very upsetting to him, and that's not good for the baby.” He gave the manager a glare, daring him to remotely indicate any ill wishes for the unborn child just because it was a man having it.
 
“I will have to contact Franklin MacLean, of course. There are many MacLeans in this country. And he might not be available, I should warn you. I understand he was at a wedding this weekend.”
 
Ryo stared at the manager incredulously. “Did you understand a word I said? New husband? Honeymoon? Hello…that was our wedding he was in attendance for. You know, for me, his grandson, and the Carrier over there.”
 
The manager sighed and went to look up the number to start calling through the computer system.
 
Ryo drummed his fingers on the counter, annoyed. “Obviously if you have the room to put us up, once you are satisfied that I am who I claim to be, then you are not booked full, and the suite that we paid for TWICE with credit card confirmations is indeed available. So, I insist you start checking us in while you talk.”
 
“When we first heard of our new owner, we were told that he does not tolerate gays and Carriers. The hotel's statement is only there in accordance to law.”
 
Ryo smirked. “Well you heard wrong. In fact, he kissed the baby bump before we left for our honeymoon earlier today. But by all means, hear it from him yourself.”
 
“I'm sorry, sir, but the phone number we have on file is not picking up. I'm afraid there's nothing I can do for you,” the manager stated.
 
“You have that suite available and we paid for it. So help me, I do have connections with the police here from a case we worked a couple of years ago. And a call to the BBB* would be next,” Ryo warned him.
 
Dee stood up and started to walk toward them, still talking on the phone. He held out the phone to the manager, giving the manager a smug look. “I happen to have Estelle MacLean on the phone. She called me to see if I'm okay. Both her and her husband would love to speak to you.” He handed the cell phone over to the manager.
 
Ryo gazed at Dee amazed, and then started to smile for the first time since they entered the hotel. Dee winked at Ryo and chuckled, putting his arm about his husband. Ryo noticed that Dee was leaning on him slightly.
 
Ryo started to rub his belly. “You go sit down again, love. We'll be in our room shortly. Then you relax for a bit, while I completely pamper you.” He leaned up to kiss Dee. “You feeling okay, baby?”
 
The manager had paled as he held the phone. “H-hello? Mrs. MacLean?” Lovely day, isn't it?”
 
“It will be once I'm assured my grandson and grandson-in-law are both in the suite I personally selected for them to stay in,” Estelle greeted. “So first, before anything else, get those boys into their room right now. Then when they're on their way, my husband would like to discuss personnel changes in the hotel. Along with changes of hotel policy.”
 
“Y-yes ma'am,” the manager stammered. “And we will charge back both credit cards, I can assure you.”
 
Softly, Ryo said in Japanese to Dee, “I'm sorry, love.” He kissed Dee again. “They're all going to get fired. I promise.”
 
“No doubt, from the way your grandmother sounded,” Dee replied back in kind. “But….” He sighed wearily. “I just want to get away from all the looks. Now.”
 
Ryo turned to face the lobby and the few guests mingling and gawking at Dee, most of them with looks of disgust. “TAKE A PICTURE!” he yelled. Satisfied, he watched as everyone in the lobby decided they had somewhere else to be.
 
The manager quickly spoke into a walkie-talkie and a few minutes later, a bellhop with their luggage came from the entryway. The manager held out a card key and gave it to the bellhop. “Please take these gentlemen up to the Presidential suite. And treat them with courtesy and respect. Do you understand? Gentlemen, I will take care of your check in while I speak to Mr. MacLean.”
 
The bellhop glared at Dee. “Yeah. Okay.” He started to push the cart in the direction of the elevator banks for the higher floors of the 73 story hotel. “This way, gentlemen.”
 
Ryo glared at the back of the bell hop, who apparently did not realize they were not following him. Or most likely, Ryo surmised, he did not care.
 
Dee hovered at the front desk, before the manager, hard eyes fixed on his cell phone. Ryo smirked. Dee could make one intimidating figure when he wanted.
 
The manager appeared to pale upon noticing Dee. The manager still held Dee's cell phone, and from the tone of voice coming through the speaker, was getting an earful from a very angry Estelle MacLean.
 
“Um, ma'am? Mrs. MacLean? Could you call me back on the direct line in the office, so I can give Mr. Laytner-MacLean his phone back? They should be on their way to their room.”
 
Ryo had his wallet out, idly fiddling with it, appearing in thought as the manager hung up the phone and handed it back to Dee. He rushed back to the office when the phone inside started to ring.
 
Ryo grasped Dee's hand as they went after the bellhop, who waited by the elevator. Dee was silent, but continued to glare at the bellhop as they approached the elevator banks.
 
A maid came out of an elevator and smiled pleasantly at them. “Good evening, gentlemen,” the dark skinned woman greeted.
 
Ryo stopped her. “Excuse me, but what's your name?” he asked.
 
The girl appeared startled. She glanced at the bellhop nervously and gulped, before looking at Ryo again. Ryo noticed the reaction as someone who would constantly find herself in trouble, even if her intentions were otherwise. He was able to take a quick guess why, considering the other staff members they had encountered.
 
“Cari-Ann, sir,” she replied timidly.
 
“Cari-Ann,” Ryo repeated. “A beautiful name for a beautiful young lady. What's your last name?”
 
“It's Fulton.” Cari-Ann was blushing at Ryo's compliment and his kind smile.
 
Dee gazed on in interest, wondering what his devious husband was up to now. The bellhop appeared to be ignoring them, but Dee noted his stance and the way his head ever so slightly tilted, knowing he was most likely listening. He would not be surprised if word went back to the manager that Cari-Ann was making nice-nice with the monsters.
 
Ryo pulled a hundred dollar bill out of his wallet, committing her name to memory. He intended to give her name to his grandmother, to assure Cari-Ann would be left out of the personnel changes. “This is for you, my dear,” he said to her. “For being the first person in this place who has been friendly to us.”
 
The poor girl looked like she was about to faint as she looked at the bill Ryo held out to her. She glanced cautiously at the bellhop. “Oh no, sir. I couldn't. It's not a big deal. After all, you are both very attractive men, and seem so in love. How could one not smile at such beauty?”
 
“Indeed,” Dee muttered, casting another glare at the bellhop's back. “You'd be surprised, sweetheart.”
 
“I insist,” Ryo said, placing the money in her hand. “Because it shouldn't be a big deal, but obviously it is. And if anyone,” his head turned to the bellhop, “has a problem with the owner's grandson giving out big tips, then they can take it up with my grandfather.”
 
The bellhop trembled.
 
Dee chuckled and winked at the maid. “Have a nice day, Cari-Ann.”
 
“Are you working tonight?” Ryo asked.
 
“Yes sir, I am.”
 
“Good. Then I'm going to request that only you are allowed to come near our room. The offensive attitude of the others is not good for my husband's state of mind. Especially in his condition.” Ryo glared at the bellhop again.
 
“Well, thank you, sir.” Cari-Ann replied with a pleasant smile.
 
“We'll see you later,” Ryo said.
 
“Oh,” Dee added, “if we order room service, would you be so kind and make sure no one spits in it or something like that?”
 
Ryo rolled his eyes, but feared that Dee might not be very far off the truth. “Maybe we should just order from outside and have it delivered?”
 
“When you gentlemen are ready for dinner, have them send me up to your room. I know of some nice places nearby that will deliver. I'll even go get your food too.”
 
“That would be awesome, Cari-Ann,” Dee said. “Thanks so much. Well, later then.” He winked at her, and taking Ryo's hand, went to stand just behind the bellhop.
 
The man sighed as he moved aside to allow Dee and Ryo to get in the elevator. He looked at Dee as the doors closed and shuddered as he put the keycard into a slot on the panel. “You'll have to use the keycard here before you can push the button to your floor,” he explained, not sounding very thrilled to be there.
 
Ryo ignored him as he leaned closer to Dee. He placed a hand on Dee's back, while with his other, he started to gently rub Dee's bump. He leaned up to kiss Dee's cheek. “We're almost there, love,” he softly said.
 
Dee nodded, then smiled a little, glancing at Ryo. “Baby's moving,” he stated.
 
Ryo's smile got brighter when he felt the slight movement with his hand. “I can tell,” he replied. “Are you being good for Daddy?” he asked, looking down at the baby bump.
 
The bellhop shifted uncomfortably, glancing up at the floor buttons light up as the elevator ascended to the near top floor of the hotel tower, hoping it would get there fast.
 
“She's being good,” Dee replied. “But I think she's upset a little too.”
 
“With all the assholes we've encountered today, I don't blame him.”
 
Dee sighed heavily. “I knew we'd encounter some, but until now, we've been more or less lucky.”
 
“Ignorant idiots, the lot of them.”
 
Dee lifted his head, his gaze settling on the bellhop. He straightened his shoulders, once more taking on the stance of arrogance, and pride. “But I am not a freak!” he proclaimed loudly. “And our baby is NOT a monster!”
 
The bellhop shifted uncomfortably again, almost shrinking into the wall he stood against. “Almost there,” he mumbled.
 
Dee indicated with his thumb behind him and the glass wall, with the city of Atlanta beyond, seeming to get smaller as they went further up. “If you want to go through a wall, I'd suggest that one.”
 
Ryo smirked and kissed Dee's cheek. “Easy, Dee. For some people, ignorance is bliss, but for those of us who are enlightened, it's boring.”
 
Dee nodded and smiled gently at Ryo.
 
The bellhop started to look relieved as the button with a `P' marked on it lit up. “Here we are,” he announced.
 
The elevator doors opened to a very richly appointed entryway. Dee's eyes went wide again. Ryo smiled, finding it adorable how it still amazed Dee to find himself in luxury, especially after their wedding and all the parties leading up to the weekend. As long as Dee didn't go around, gawking and acting like an idiot about it, like he used to, Ryo found it endearing. He sighed, realizing that as annoying as that was in the past, even that was endearing. `I really have it bad for him,' Ryo thought as they watched the bellhop wheel the luggage cart off the elevator.
 
Ryo smirked at Dee, giving him a devious wink, letting Dee know he was up to something again.
 
“This is it,” the bellhop announced. “There's no finer room in all of Georgia.”
 
Dee went to step off the elevator when Ryo stopped him by grabbing Dee by his upper arm.
 
“What?” Dee asked, turning to look at Ryo.
 
Ryo grinned at him. “Shall I pick you up here, since this is the threshold?”
 
The bellhop's eyes went wide. “Would you like your bags in the master chamber?” he asked, his voice shaking.
 
Dee spared a quick glare back to the shaken bellhop before looking at Ryo. Giggling, he nodded, a little wicked smile on his face.
 
“Just leave them right here, it's fine,” Ryo instructed the bellhop, moving closer to Dee, placing his arm around Dee's waist.
 
Dee put his arms around Ryo's neck. “I'd love for you to carry me over the threshold,” he replied.
 
Ryo's smile was wide, then he picked Dee up. The bellhop looked like he wanted to run, and get as far from them as possible, even if it meant going through the glass wall windows of the living room beyond and going down the 71 floors the hard way.
 
Dee gave Ryo an impish grin after looking in a corner of the elevator. As Ryo started to step off the elevator, he reached out for the vase on a small corner table, filled with long stem flowers. Dee grabbed onto the flowers, pulling them out of the vase and clenching them like a bouquet. “Ready, handsome,” he laughed. He heard the bellhop mutter and shuffle further from them.
 
Ryo nearly dropped Dee as he started to laugh. He paused for a moment to catch his footing and redistribute Dee's weight before he carried Dee into the entryway of their suite bridal style. Dee fluttered the flowers in the bellhop's direction as they entered.
 
Ryo set Dee down in a plush armchair along a wall and kissed his nose. “Rest here a sec, and lemme take care of this.”
 
Dee grinned up at Ryo, love and pride shining in dark green eyes.
 
“I would guess you'd like to be alone now, honeymoon and all,” the bellhop quickly muttered, leaving the luggage on the rack and walking quickly to the elevator. “So I'll be leaving now.”
 
Dee settled himself comfortably in the chair, feeling the relief in his body to finally be seated, and watched Ryo in action.
 
“Hold up,” Ryo remarked, taking out his wallet again. He pulled a five dollar bill from it and went over to the man, now waiting in the elevator.
 
Dee covered his mouth and snickered, trying not to outright burst out into laughter. Both his and Ryo's wallets were filled with large bills, to tip or use as expenses on their way to the Bahamas. Until that moment, Ryo was proving to be a big tipper.
 
The bellhop went to take the money from Ryo's hand. “Thank you… Mr. MacLean…”
 
Ryo snatched the keycard from the bellhop's other hand. “We could use that, thank you,” he stated. He put the money into the crack between the chute and the elevator. “Have a good night.” He reached in to push the close door button. He wiggled his fingers at the surprised bellhop as the doors slid shut, with no tip.
 
He took a deep breath, then turned to Dee. “That. Was. Satisfying,” he commented.
 
Dee broke out in laughter. He laughed so hard, he clenched his belly.
 
“Did you see that look?” Ryo asked as he approached Dee.
 
“Bastard didn't know what happened,” Dee remarked, still laughing. He looked up at Ryo, smiling, and held out his arms. “I love you.”
 
“My father did that once to a bitch of a waitress in Tokyo. I was about 14 at the time, and I'll never forget it.” He smiled and bent down, kissing Dee lightly and then scooting him up in his arms again. “Except it was more money and in a fancy pariah tank.”
 
Dee laughed. “You dad was an awesome man,” he said. “And here I was thinking he did that in the Playboy Club in Roppongi.” He laughed more as Ryo carried Dee into the bedroom.
 
“That was mom. Or so I hear.” He smirked at Dee, and kissed him again.
 
“Don't tell me,” Dee started as Ryo entered the bedroom. “You pulled out the five because you gave away your last hundred to Cari-Ann?” He winked at Ryo.
 
“Nah. He wasn't worth throwing a hundred bucks down the chute,” Ryo replied. He kissed Dee again.
 
“Mmm…. Despite the trouble, happy honeymoon, Mr. Laytner-MacLean,” Dee said.
 
“I'm sure. And happy honeymoon to you, too, Mr. Laytner-MacLean.” He chuckled as he felt a slight movement against his abdomen coming from Dee's. “And you, Chibi Laytner-MacLean.”
 
“Oh, and from speaking to your grandmother when she called me, I'd guess there will be a new staff to check us out tomorrow,” Dee said.
 
Ryo settled Dee on the edge of the bed. “Good. If it was up to me, they'd be closed down.”
 
“Why close down something you own?” Dee asked. “Just replace the staff.” He grinned wickedly up at Ryo. “And start advertising as the Carrier friendly hotel in the South.” He laughed.
 
“Ooh, I love the way you think, MacLean heir-apparent.” He leaned over Dee to kiss him again.
 
Dee put his arms around Ryo's neck as they kissed. “Did I ever tell you that you're my hero?” he asked.
 
Ryo shook his head, trying to keep a straight face. “No. Had a kid tell me that when I saved her cat.”
 
Dee laughed. “Well…” He laughed more. “I just did. I love you, Ryo.”
 
With a loving smile, Ryo kissed Dee gently, moving him to lay back on the bed. “Must admit, this is a nice place,” Ryo stated.
 
“I like it. And we have a whole floor to ourselves. We don't have to deal with assholes until we leave for the airport tomorrow.” Dee pulled Ryo to lay down with him. “Come here, you,” he said with a smile.
 
Ryo crawled to hover over Dee. “Dee?” he asked, suddenly looking serious, studying Dee's face.
 
“Hm?”
 
Ryo stoked his cheek reverently. “You are beautiful. No matter what,” he intoned, his voice heavy with emotion.
 
Dee closed his eyes. “I…I know that,” he said low. “But lately, sometimes when someone says something like that…” He sighed heavily and opened his eyes to gaze up at Ryo. “It hurts,” he admitted.
 
Ryo heard the pain in Dee's voice. “I know, baby. It hurts me, too.” He put a hand on Dee's stomach. “This is our baby. And seeing you in pain hurts me, too.”
 
“I've never felt like that before, but when I hear them call me a freak, and our baby a monster. I'm sorry, but it doesn't roll off, like I first thought it would. It just hurts so freakin' much that people can think that.” Dee sighed again as Ryo settled alongside Dee, pulling him in his arms, making Dee shift onto his side. “I guess when we planned out this trip to the Bahamas, we didn't consider that it isn't like back in New York down here.”
 
Ryo kissed his neck. “Supposedly downtown Atlanta was to be a free zone for Carriers. I'm sorry people are stupid and ignorant.”
 
Dee stroked Ryo's cheek with two fingers in a light caress. “Nothing for you to apologize for.” Softly, he kissed Ryo. “It's not easy for you, either. I can see that. Besides, after all, you are `The Monster-maker'.”
 
Ryo smiled and kissed Dee back, stroking his hair. He chuckled and leaned over to kiss the baby bump. “Hear that, little monster?” he asked.
 
Dee giggled. “But you know what? I love you, Ryo. And I'd endure the stares and comments because this is your baby.”
 
“That really makes me happy to hear, Dee.” Ryo kissed the belly again. “Come out and be a pinko commie, tree-hugging, hairy-legged women libber, got it?” he said to their unborn child.
 
Dee laughed, running his fingers through Ryo's hair. Even if it's a boy?” he asked slyly.
 
“Yup. Even better. Men can be for women's right.” To their baby, he said, “We'll give you all of Carol's old bras to burn, son.”
 
Dee laughed more. “Might have trouble with hairy legs, girl or boy, considering me and you.” He chuckled. “I'll tell you what's scary.” He grinned as Ryo looked up at him.
 
“Hm?' Ryo asked. He started to gently rub Dee's belly again.
 
“I think I'm actually enjoying playing the rich bitch role and flinging names around. Even if months ago, I'd have never thought I'd be flinging your grandparents' names around.”
 
Ryo's grin grew. “It was lovely watching everyone go all pale when they realize they're fucking with the owner's grandson, wasn't it?”
 
Dee chuckled. “Oh? And here I thought I was fucking with the owner's grandson.” He continued to run his fingers through Ryo's hair, smiling at his husband.
 
“You're the only one allowed to, lover. Now how about I pull out some of our comfy night clothes and then you can take a nap for a bit before we call Cari-Ann to help us pick out what we want for dinner. Hell, I'd take pizza right now.”
 
“That sounds good to me.” Dee started to sit up. “I think I'd like to take a quick shower first. Maybe the water will help get some of the kinks out of my muscles.”
 
“Why don't you take a bath then? And I'll be in there in a few minutes with a change of clothes?”
 
Dee nodded and smiled at Ryo. “And make sure I don't fall asleep in the tub?” he asked.
 
“Of course. I'll always look out for you,” Ryo affirmed. “Because I can't imagine my life without you, Dee. I love you.”
 
“Me too.” They kissed for a minute before Dee crawled off the bed and went into the bathroom.
 
As Ryo got off the bed and started for the other rooms for their luggage, he had to laugh as he heard Dee's verbal expression from encountering another sunken, Jacuzzi bathtub in their suite.
 
“Ryo, it's all marble in this one too!” Dee called out.
 
Ryo laughed more. “Don't ever change, Dee,' he stated softly as he picked up their suitcases to carry into the bedroom.