Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected II ❯ Reality Intrusion ( Chapter 30 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: The Unexpected II
Chapter 28 - Reality Intrusion
Rating: R
Fandom: FAKE
Pairings: Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
Disclaimer: FAKE is not mine. We have Sanami Matoh for giving us Dee, Ryo and the rest of the 27th precinct characters. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
A/N: Last chapter for this marathon TU Wedding Weekend. The rest of "The Unexpected II" will be posted throughout August. Happy reading!
# # # # # # # #
 
 
Ryo woke up to the 7 am wake up call that was part of the details previously sent to the hotel before their arrival the night before. He looked around the richly decorated room, feeling a warm weight against his body. Smiling, he ran his fingers softly through Dee's sleep tangled hair, as alertness slowly came to Ryo. His eyes settled on his left hand, and the white gold and diamond band. Sighing, he pressed his cheek against Dee's, his other hand fumbling for Dee's hand, which was draped across Ryo's stomach. Dee snuggled closer to Ryo. Ryo lifted the hand from under the sheet and his smile widened upon seeing the matching band on the sleeping man's hand. He kissed the hand he held.
 
For a brief moment between hanging up the phone and giving his attention to Dee, Ryo felt as if the day before was a dream. He sighed contently, realizing the wedding the day before was no dream, and it was the start of their first full day as a married couple.
 
Dee sighed heavily and started to move. Lightly Ryo kissed Dee's mouth. “Sleep a bit more, sweetheart,” he said.
 
“Mm… still tired,” Dee mumbled.
 
“I know. You have another hour.”
 
“Good.” Still half asleep, Dee sought out Ryo's mouth. Ryo gladly met the searching lips halfway and they kissed briefly. Dee closed his eyes and seemed to fall back to sleep.
 
Ryo chuckled softly. He felt tired too, but he knew if he allowed himself to go back to sleep, chances were both men would be very late to the breakfast brunch. So Ryo gently made his way out of the bed, and went into the bathroom to shower.
 
An hour later, just before Ryo was about to wake Dee to get ready to leave, he heard the knock on the door to their suite. He was already dressed for the day, and had everything, except for what Dee would need to get dressed, packed and ready to load into the limo when it came to pick them up. With a smile he got up from the couch he sat in, looking out at the city. The snow had stopped as they slept and it was promising to be a sunny day. From what Ryo could make out from the window, most of the snow was gone, but the streets and sidewalks was still wet. It painted an interesting picture of Central Park, which was across the street with small patches of white here and there among all the brown of the bare trees.
 
He went up to the door and opened it marginally.
 
“Room service,” he heard come through the small opening.
 
Ryo closed the door to undo the chain and opened it again. “Come in, please,” he cheerfully greeted the woman pushing the cart.
 
“Congratulations on your wedding, Mr. Laytner-MacLean,” the woman replied as she wheeled the cart to the center of the living room.
 
Ryo's smile got wider. “Keep calling me that, and despite what my grandparents told me, there will be an additional Ben Franklin or two for you. `Cause I love hearing that.”
 
The woman laughed breezily. “Where do you want this set up, Mr. Laytner-MacLean? Would the table by the window be good enough, Mr. Laytner-MacLean.”
 
Ryo laughed. “Yes, by the window would be just perfect,” he agreed.
 
A sleepy looking Dee entered the living room, in the hotel robe and wearing a striped pair of pajama bottoms that was purchased just for moments like that. “Hey, are you flirting with my husband there?” he teased the young woman with a wink. “Not that I would blame you for trying, but he's all mine.”
 
The woman laughed again. “Of course not, Mr. Laytner-MacLean. I would never come between newlyweds on their honeymoon.”
 
“I think she's more interested in Ben, than me,” Ryo remarked, going over to Dee and putting his arms around the other man's waist.
 
“We're not on our honeymoon yet,” Dee replied to the woman, hugging Ryo back. “But we will be later today.” He bent his head slightly to kiss Ryo. “Good morning, husband of mine.”
 
“Good morning to you too,” Ryo greeted, kissing Dee again. He rubbed the bump beneath the plush robe. “And you too, Chibi.” Ryo noticed the table was set and he pulled away from Dee to take out his wallet.
 
“Aw, so cute. When is the baby due?” the woman asked, then noticed Ryo going through his wallet. “Oh no, Mr. Laytner-MacLean. I was only joking about the tip. Your grandparents were quite generous.”
 
“Enough to put anyone in a great mood this early in the morning, I'm sure,” Dee laughed.
 
“You're in a good mood,” she pointed out.
 
“I woke up to realize that yesterday wasn't a dream and I was married to the love of my life. Who needs money?”
 
Ryo smiled at Dee, while the woman laughed. “I wish you a lifetime of happiness,” she said, preparing to leave. “And the joy of your little one.”
 
“Thank you,” Dee said, watching Ryo leave his side to walk over to the woman. “Oh and the baby is due in July.”
 
“Now, I wasn't joking about Ben. So just take the money and I won't put up a fuss. It'll be our little secret.”
 
“I couldn't.”
 
“You could. Because I insist. Didn't my grandparents leave some nonsense warning about not upsetting us?”
 
“Something like that.”
 
“So I'll be upset if you don't. So take it.” Ryo shoved a couple of the bills his grandmother had slipped to him the night before. :”Buy something for yourself that you normally wouldn't spend the money on.” He winked at her.
 
“If you insist. I mustn't upset one of the happy grooms. Thank you so much, Mr. Laytner-MacLean. And happy honeymooning.” She shoved the money in a pocket and left the room as breezily as she entered it.
 
“Sweet girl,” Dee commented, then looked at the set up on the table. “Breakfast? Aren't we supposed to have a big breakfast in a couple of hours?” he asked.
 
“This is coffee for me, tea for you, and some bagels and toast. Just so you don't have an empty stomach before we get to the brunch. Remember, we're attempting to avoid any form of nausea while getting to Atlanta,” Ryo replied, taking Dee's hand and leading him to the table. “Now sit down. We have some time.”
 
Dee's eyes went to the luggage already waiting near the door. “I guess so. Do I have clothes to wear? Or do I go through today in this?” he asked with a smirk.
 
“For that, I should make you go through the day in your jammies. But no. Why do you think I asked you last night what did you plan to wear today? It's all set out and waiting for you when you come out of the shower.”
 
Dee pouted as Ryo poured some tea into a fine bone china cup, and then some coffee into the second cup. “And here I was expecting some first morning married sex to start off the day.”
 
Ryo set Dee's tea down before him. “Dee, if we did, I get a feeling we'll never make the brunch on time.”
 
“Well….”
 
“We'll be in Atlanta early evening. And I don't know about you, but I'm planning on spending the rest of the evening in our hotel room. Hopefully with you. And hopefully having some honeymoon fun.”
 
Dee's eyes met Ryo's. “Well then, if you put it that way, I guess it'll be worth the wait. I know last night definitely was.”
 
“Oh last night was so worth the wait,” Ryo agreed, pulling the linen open of the basket on the table and revealing a few bagels and toast within. “Now, we eat and relax a little before you go shower and get dressed. The day is going to be a bit hectic until we get settled in the hotel tonight. So let's enjoy some quiet time right now.”
 
Dee reached across the table to take Ryo's left hand in his. “I'd love that,” he replied, then kissed the hand. “I swear I still feel like I'm walking in a dream.”
 
“From what I heard from others who did this before us, that will take at least a few days before it wears off,” Ryo said.
 
“I'm not complaining,” Dee replied. He reached into the basket to pick out a piece of toast to put on the matching plate to the cups.
 
“Neither am I.”
 
The two men started on their first breakfast as a married couple, pausing to caress the other, share kisses and gaze out of the hotel room window and at the park, and the city skyline beyond.
 
### ### ###
 
Two hours later, the newlyweds got out of the Bentley in front of the entrance to the building on 14th Street and Fifth Avenue, where the wedding brunch was to be held. Both men realized they wished they could have gotten a few more hours sleep, or a longer time to just lounge around the hotel. They looked tired, but still radiant. The slight exhaustion did not take away from the glow of recently being married. They were glad it would be a relatively shorter day. Once they left from the brunch, they would be on their way to LaGuardia airport for the flight to Atlanta for the first night of their honeymoon. Having first class seats, they both were looking forward to relaxing and even napping during the flight, assuming Dee did not get too sick. Which was the reason for them breaking up the journey to the Bahamas into three segments. It was a three hour flight to Atlanta. Instead of waiting for a connecting flight, they were to leave the airport and go to the hotel in downtown Atlanta for the night. The next day in the late morning, they had a two hour flight to Miami and once again stay the night. The next day was an early morning flight from Miami to Nassau, where they would stay for seven days at an exclusive resort. The trip back to New York would have the same stops.
 
Estelle had gotten involved in helping them plan their honeymoon. Franklin was on the board of directors of the airline the they were to use for the trip, and the MacLean family was a major shareholder. Their hotel in Atlanta was a recently acquired hotel to be part of the new luxury hotel chain still in development. The hotel in Miami was a 5-star hotel on the beach. Limos were ordered for transportation between airports and hotels. At their final destination, the resort provided all transportation as part of their all-inclusive package.
 
Ryo was pleased with the finalized plans for their honeymoon. Dee was astounded. They were to spend almost two weeks being pampered in luxury. Both men were looking forward to the welcome break.
 
Hand in hand, they entered the building, to take the elevator up to the top floor, and join the others who were waiting for the newlyweds to arrive.
 
Everyone was already there when they arrived at the penthouse used for various events. The décor seemed plain compared to the set up from the night before. There was a long table at the front, facing the other tables for Ryo, Dee and family. At each end was another long table at a ninety degree angle for the wedding party. The three tables formed an open square. The tables were set up with dark blue linen and light blue runners. The tableware was pastel china and crystal. The guest tables were set up in the same color scheme. Small floral arrangements in crystal vases adorned the tables. Balloons with their names were part of the decoration, along with fringe lighting from the ceiling. That was all the decoration. The penthouse was very well appointed in décor, with wide, tall arched windows, giving another view of the city. Like the reception, the meal was a buffet. They had settled on an international breakfast menu, giving their guests a wide selection to choose from. They also had a dessert bar. It was very low key comparing to the extravagance of the day before. Dee and Ryo had opted for easy listening music to be played in the background.
 
The happy couple arrived unannounced, but word spread fast and they were escorted to their table to applause and cheers. The number of guests was smaller than the reception and ceremony guest lists. It was for close family and good friends of the couple, along with those who had traveled a distance to attend the wedding.
 
Dee and Ryo noticed the older people looked well rested, and as if they were already far into their day. The younger generations looked tired and worn out, some in various degrees of a hangover. The after party, they discovered, still had a good number of guests who stayed until 4 am when the party finally ended.
 
At their table, Bikky was seated next to Ryo, and Carol next to Dee. Dee's family sat on his side, starting with Mother next to Carol, and Ryo's family starting with Elena next to Bikky.
 
While they ate, they spoke mostly to Bikky, knowing they were leaving their son behind during the honeymoon. Bikky let them know he was fine with his Japanese great-grandmother staying with him at the apartment. Mother assured them that she had arranged for Bikky and Akira to come to the orphanage for dinner several times. Carol's aunt, Elina, was expecting them for dinner at least once during the time. Elena and Rick had appointments in the city and intended to look in on him and his great-grandmother, and even Estelle had mentioned also checking in on the boy. Vince reminded them that Bikky had his youth group meetings and a dance while they were gone, and assured them that he, too, would also keep an extra eye on Bikky while he was attending the teen programs for children of Carriers. Of course, all the adults who had promised to make sure Bikky was okay during their honeymoon assured the boy that Carol was always welcome to be with him anytime.
 
At the end of the meal, they mingled with guests for a while, once again receiving well wishes, and in the case of married friends, advice and tips for the honeymoon. At one point, Vince pulled them aside for travel advice, making sure Dee had the medications he approved in case he needed them, and they had the number of a trusted MOP located on the island if there was a need.
 
“I don't mean to scare you and say something will happen if you travel,” Vince said, watching Dee's eyes get wide.
 
Ryo patted Dee's arm. “Dee, relax. It's a just in case, because Vince won't be close by. That's all. I feel better having a number we won't use.”
 
“I stress more what I've been stressing all this time. Call if you are concerned about anything. You're welcome to call me first, if you prefer. You know I'm always there for my patients 27/7, well, except for last night,” he added with a chuckle. “But thankfully no one contacted any of my associates I referred them to in case. Anyway, if you feel silly calling someone you don't know, unless you are certain you'll need to see him, then call me. The telephone is an amazing concept, wouldn't you say?”
 
Dee laughed. “You're right. I'm just nervous about traveling and all, but that's not stopping me from going. I really love the idea of being pampered in the Bahamas.”
 
“You picked a great place,” Vince stated. “I've heard many good things about their Carrier programs. Make sure you take advantage of them since it's all included in the price. Get in as many massages and spa treatments, and even some classes while you have the chance. I would have loved to go to someplace like that myself when I was Carrying Jason and Hannah.” He turned to Ryo. “And you, make sure you also take advantage of what's available for you. Believe me, you'll both be for the better when you return.”
 
“I intend to. I noticed they have a total spa day for Carrier and partner. We're doing that, even if I have to drag Dee to it.”
 
Dee held up his hands. “Don't worry. As long as those bozos aren't around to make smartass comments,” he indicated the others they worked with in CI, “then I'm looking forward to it.”
 
“Good. Well, once again, congratulations on your marriage,” Vince said.
 
“It was a very beautiful day,” David added. “I doubt I'll see a wedding like that in a very long time, if ever. Congratulations.”
 
Ryo smiled. “Thanks. Yeah, we're more than just pleased at how it all turned out.”
 
“Oh oh, here comes the mamas with your son,” David said, chuckling.
 
Dee glanced at his watch. “I think that means it's almost time to start heading out of here.”
 
“Enjoy!” Vince remarked, and taking David's hand, wandered over to mingle with some of their friends.
 
“Dee, Ryo,” Mother called out, as she approached the couple with Bikky, Estelle and Elena in tow. “If you want to say anything more to any of your friends before you leave, do it now. It's almost time for everyone to start lining up to see you off.” She patted Dee's cheek. “Oh my baby boy is married now, and going off on his honeymoon.”
 
Dee hugged her. “Yeah, and not to a motel in New Jersey like we first thought would be our honeymoon,” he laughed. “You behave yourself, Mother, while we're gone. And take care of Bikky for us.”
 
Mother hugged Dee back. “Of course I'll behave. I don't know where you got that habit of not behaving from, but it wasn't from me.” She grinned up at him as Ryo laughed. “Bikky will be fine, Dee. He has Akira with him and the rest of us will make sure they stay out of trouble.”
 
Ryo laughed. “Now that sounds like Obasan. Yes, please make sure they stay out of trouble. Hopefully she learned her lesson about trying to skateboard with Tsubasa's son.” He hugged Mother. “And call us if needed. Don't worry about breaking up a honeymoon if we're really needed home with family. Got it?”
 
“We'll all be fine. And so will the orphanage. Barry offered his services if there are any emergency repairs to be made while you two are gone. So just enjoy yourselves.”
 
“I intend to, Mother.” Dee smiled down at Bikky who stood next to Mother. “Well, kiddo. I guess you're on your own without your dads for a bit. Don't make all the adults crazy.”
 
“That should be crazier than they already are,” Ryo said with a wink as Obasan joined them.
 
Estelle hugged Ryo. “I'm still so excited at how wonderful everything turned out. A true sign of blessing of this marriage. You boys take care of each other, and that little baby of yours, and we'll all make sure Bikky is okay. When you're back from honeymoon, we all should get together for dinner. Maybe a weekend at our place next month too?”
 
Ryo kissed his grandmother's cheek. “Dinner when we're back sounds great.” He looked over at Dee, who nodded slightly before getting hugged by Elena. “And a weekend at the MacLean Estate next month sounds good too. We'll let you know when we have a free weekend and go from there.”
 
“Perfect,” Estelle said, then went over to hug Dee as Ryo hugged Akira.
 
“Are you sure you're okay with all this sightseeing around the city?” Ryo asked, concerned.
 
“I am very sure. I have a reason to stay here for a while. A very happy reason. I'm getting to know my great-grandson.” She smiled at Bikky. “And as of today, the happy memories outweigh the unpleasant ones. Your wedding did that, Ryo. You and Dei have helped me overcome. Thank you.”
 
“Thank you for joining us, and for your love and support, of course,” Ryo said to her, kissing her forehead.
 
“I intend to be back here when the little one is due,” she said to him.
 
Ryo looked surprised. “Really? Obasan, that's great. I'd so love to have you here to meet your new great-grandchild when he's born.”
 
Dee cleared his throat as Elena laughed. “Or she,” Dee added with a wink.
 
“We'll talk more as your scheduled c-section date is finalized. And if you'll have me, I would love to stay and help out for a couple of weeks after you come home from the hospital, Dei.”
 
“We'll definitely talk more when we have more firm detail, Obasan,” Dee replied with a fond smile.
 
“Almost time to scat,” Elena stated. “Better get the rest of your so longs out.”
 
“Will do,” Ryo laughed, hugging Dee. “Let's go.”
 
They continued to make their rounds, with Bikky and Carol beside them until they found themselves back with their families while the guests gathered by the large double French doors leading out of the penthouse.
 
As they left, once again, they were showered on with confetti and streamers, and since they were inside, some guests also tossed rice.
 
Dee shook his head, once they were in the Bentley and snorted when rice was among the confetti that fluttered down. “As if we needed help in being fertile,” he remarked, then laughed, Ryo joining him.
 
“Come here, you,” Ryo said, pulling them back to relax against the plush interior of the car. “We have some time until we're at the airport and I intend to make some good use of the time.” He started to kiss Dee as the car pulled away and headed east through the streets of Manhattan for the FDR Drive. The planned route was to take the Queens-Midtown Tunnel from E. 34th Street into Queens and onto the expressway for the short ride to the airport.
 
Dee happily returned the kisses, neither man paying attention to the city going past them outside the car's windows.
 
 
### ### ###
 
Settled in their seats in first class, Dee was slightly grumpy but trying hard not to show it. His alternative was to just get upset over the abrupt way the airline attendant for first class had treated them. Ryo ended up having to heft their carry on bags into the overhead compartment, except for the one bag he intended to keep with them. He had been assured by his family that flying first class would mean specialized attention and asking for things to make the flight more comfortable for Dee. Ryo was not one to take chances. Should Dee need water or some ginger ale while they were in ascent, he knew he could not ask anyone, since they were all to remain seated until the plane reached cruising altitude. So he had packed a bag with some items in case Dee needed, and the attendants were unable to get it for them.
 
The flight attendant had been downright rude to the two of them, and it did not escape Ryo's eyes that it all started after her gaze fixed on Dee's bump. As he sat down next to Dee in his oversized leather seat, he took Dee's hand and squeezed it.
 
The attendant passed them from helping settle a business man in a suit who was also in first class. Ryo noted that at least he had to put up his own bags too.
 
She hardly spared them a glance and what they made of it, there was disgust on her face.
 
“Southern belle with attitude,” Dee muttered, settling back to get comfortable. “Fuck her.”
 
Ryo squeezed Dee's hand, and thought to hand Dee a pillow, only to realize there were no pillows out. The attendant was currently taking out a pillow and blanket for yet another passenger in first class, asking if woman was comfortable. He started to raise her hand to get the attendant's attention, then decided against it. “Nevermind,” he sighed. Releasing Dee's hand, he stood up to reach into a compartment to get them pillows and blankets.
 
“Excuse sir, but what are you doing?” the attendant asked him in her southern accent.
 
“We don't have any pillows or blankets. And since you seemed… occupied, I thought I'd save you the trouble.”
 
“No one but flight crew are allowed to open this particular compartment. Please sit down and I'll get them for you.”
 
“Thank you.” Ryo sat down in his seat and gave Dee an encouraging smile. Dee still looked dubious.
 
Two pillows and two blankets were all but tossed at them as the blankets landed on Ryo's lap. “There you go, sir. Enjoy,” The attendant turned her back on them, going over to the other man. “Are you settling in for the flight, Mr. Daniels?” she asked.
 
Ryo turned his attention from the rest of the conversation as he gnashed his teeth. “Just let her keep it up,” he told Dee low. “'Cause if she pisses me off enough, I swear I'll end up making a scene.”
 
That drew a smile from Dee's otherwise tense look and he chuckled a little. Leaning over to lightly kiss Ryo, he said, “Just don't get yourself arrested. That won't be so much fun on our honeymoon.”
 
Ryo held his hands up defensively. “I promise.” At Dee's look, he added, “I swear. I'll go another route than punching her smug look inside out.”
 
Dee grinned and kissed Ryo again. “Easy Tiger. We can handle being ignored a little. It's no more worse than some of your great aunts and their talking last night.”
 
“As long as she keeps it to just this.”
 
“Good. Now, how about you looking through the programming and pick a movie for us to watch in-flight,” Dee said, handing Ryo a laminated card. “I like this set up,” he said, indicating what appeared to be a laptop bolted to the bulkhead before them. They had the first seats on the aft side in first class, giving them a little extra room than the two rows behind them.
 
Ryo was impressed with the set up. Smaller airlines appeared to do more in comfort services than many of the major airlines. Greenway Airlines, which was the airline they were using, was right on top with the latest in comfort design, and technology to make a flight as pleasant as possible. Even the business class seats had more space than a typical major airline seat, and a few amenities usually found just in first class. Which raised the bar for what was offered in first class. He watched Dee stretch out his long legs as he covered himself with the blanket.
 
“Looks like you're ready for a nap,” Ryo observed with a smile.
 
“Yeah. I figured to snooze a little during take off and ascent. That might even minimaze whatever chances of getting sick. Besides…” he yawned. “I'm a bit tired and I have no intention of just sleeping in our suite tonight.” He winked roguishly at Ryo.
 
“That's a great idea, Mr. Laytner-MacLean, because I have plans for you tonight.”
 
“Oh? Gonna share?”
 
“Nope. It's a surprise. But I think you'll like it.”
 
“If it's what I think it is, I'm sure I'll love it.”
 
The business class passengers started to board the plane while they talked. Dee was settling down further, about to put his seat into lounge position when a pregnant woman entered the plane. The first class attendant all but dropped what she was doing for the other woman in first class and rushed over to the pregnant woman.
 
“Here, let me help you to your seat,” she said, taking the carry-on from the woman.
 
Both Dee and Ryo's heads turned to watch the attendant and the woman as she was lead to her seat in the 12th row. Ryo was by then, leaning over the side of his seat and watching, with a scowl on his face. “The nerve of that bitch,” he muttered. He felt Dee's hand rest on his shoulder as Dee tried to also watch all the fussing and hemming and hawing going on in the 12th row.
 
Giving up, Dee leaned back in his seat with a heavy sigh. He realized the fantasy of their beautiful wedding was wearing off as reality started to set in. Carriers were still not welcome as far as some people were concerned. He was reminded of that the night before as he overheard comments here and there through the evening from some of Ryo's relatives. The day before, he was feeling too good to let it fully get to him. He would frown for a moment, then shrug it off and go about being one of the happy grooms in the spotlight on his wedding day. He was able to let it roll off the day before. He discovered it was not so easy at that moment.
 
“Wait a damn minute!” Ryo snapped as the attendant rushed past them to get the woman something to drink.
 
“Shouldn't one of the business class attendants be doing that?” Dee asked. “And taking it from the business class galley?”
 
“Damn right they should.” He cleared his throat loudly. The man across the aisle from them, and the woman behind him watched carefully, wondering if there would be trouble. “Excuse me, Ma'am, but while you're at it, can you get my husband a ginger ale, just in case during flight. Please?” He asked politely, putting all his charm into the simple request.
 
“I'm sorry,” the attendant remarked, brushing past him. “The galley is now closed until we're at cruising altitude.”
 
“You could have taken it out with that water, since you were still in there when I asked,” Ryo snapped, realizing he was speaking to air, as the attendant was already with the woman.
 
Other passengers glanced at Ryo warily as they passed on the way to their seats, noticing the extremely pissed off look on the otherwise very handsome man.
 
Dee sighed again, and fussing with his blanket looked out the window at the bustling workers loading luggage and meals onto the flights, and the plane that was being towed away from the terminal.
 
Ryo glanced at Dee, his frown getting deeper. “Fuck this shit,” he remarked, taking out his cell phone. He found the airline's main number in his contacts list and called it.
 
“Thank you for your interest in Greenway Airlines. How may I direct your call?” a pleasant female voice answered on the second ring.
 
“I'd like to lodge a complaint. Listen, I'm on flight 715 from New York City to Atlanta at this moment, in first class.”
 
“May I ask the nature of your complaint, sir?”
 
“As I said, we're flying first class and your flight attendant assigned to us is being VERY BIASED TO ME AND MY HUSBAND,” he said, his voice raising so all could hear him.
 
Dee sat up in his seat, snapping the seat into the upright position. “Oh no,” he muttered. He rubbed Ryo's arm soothingly. “Easy, baby,” he cajoled. “You're getting a vein on your forehead.”
 
Ryo glared up at the attendant as she returned and started to prepare the cabin for take off. The last of the passengers had just come on the plane.
 
“May I ask what do you mean by biased. I might ask you to hold while I get a supervisor in the complaint department,” the woman on the phone said.
 
“What I mean by biased is, my husband is pregnant, and this attendant didn't even show us to our seat. She hardly even greeted us once she noticed he was a Carrier. You know, false planted smile just faded at that moment.” He heard Dee snicker at his comment about the false smile. “However, she's doing everything to help a woman in business class, while we're in first class. How is that right?”
 
The attendant turned to look directly at Ryo and sniffed with her nose turned up. “Your husband is a man. I thought you men were stronger than us woman.” The sarcasm dripped with her statement.
 
“I'm connecting you to a supervisor, sir,” the female said and Ryo realized he was on hold.
 
“Wait, wait wait,” he demanded of the attendant. He held out the phone. “Say that to the supervisor of your complaint department. I dare you.” Stormy dark eyes met the attendant's.
 
Passengers were murmuring, but it was background noise to Ryo.
 
“I don't have to do a thing you tell me to, sir,” the attendant snapped back, defensively. “If you don't like the way I'm treating you, then you and your husband can just fly to Atlanta on another flight.”
 
“Joel Abramson, Complaint Supervisor speaking. Sir, I understand you feel you are being discriminated against?”
 
“You should have heard what she just said right now,” Ryo snapped into the phone, glaring at her. His look threw daggers at the petite blond woman. “Apparently if we don't like how we're being treated, we can fly elsewhere. Is that how you conduct business?” he asked the Joel.
 
“No sir. If you can give me the details of your flight and the attendant's name, we will launch an investigation into your complaint.”
 
“Investigation?!?” Ryo practically yelled, jumping to his feet.
 
Dee jumped in his seat from the suddenness of Ryo's movement and the fury in his voice. “Ryo, sit down and take a deep breath,” he said, taking Ryo's free hand and tugging to him to sit down.
 
“Listen here, there's nothing to investigate. I'll make her repeat everything she has said to us if it's the last thing I do. You have a complaint, and I'm sure if she opens her mouth again, she'll incriminate herself further.” He threw a challenging look at the other passengers in first class, including the couple sitting two rows behind them, who boarded before they did. “And I have witnesses. Don't tell me about investigations.” He shoved the phone in the attendant's face. “Here, sweetheart. Tell him that you have a problem with pregnant Carriers. You probably also have a problem with gays too, huh. Tell him. That should be sufficient for his investigation.”
 
Dee tried tugging Ryo's arm, certain they had the attention of everyone on the plane by now, and glad it was not a full flight. “Ryo, easy. They have protocol to follow. Just as we do. You give them your statement, they `investigate' and she gets her hand slapped for being bad. What use is it? Let's just let them get this flight going, and get to Atlanta. Please?”
 
Ryo glanced down at Dee, giving Dee an apology with his eyes. “Sorry, Dee, but when I decided to be open about us, I swore I'd never let anyone treat us less than equals to the so-called `normal' people.”
 
“Sir, can you give me your name, flight number and the attendant's name please?”
 
At that moment the flight captain stepped out from the cockpit. “Is there a problem here?” he asked.
 
“There's about to be a major one, sir,” Ryo stated. “Here, talk to the supervisor. NOW!”
 
The attendant took the phone from Ryo, glaring at him. “Hello? Oh hello Joel. Listen darlin', I figured the lady needed more help than the man, even if the gentlemen are in first class. That's all that happened. Until he started to rant like a lunatic. I swear, I'm one step away from calling the police in.”
 
Dee's eyes went up to her and he snorted, then laughed. “Oh good one.”
 
Ryo nudged Dee to keep from blurting out what he hoped would be his trump card, should he need it for the surprise. “Wow, you're not only a bigot,” he said to the attendant, “but you're an idiot.”
 
Dee found himself trying to keep from laughing. Sometimes when Ryo was furious, he was scary, as he was a few moments ago. Other times, he was pretty funny. At least Dee thought so. He wasn't too sure about the poor person who Ryo directed his fury on. He put aside the blanket and pillow and waved to get the Captain's attention. “Look sir, I'm not saying that she shouldn't have helped that woman out. I think that was very kind of her, since business class did not notice her yet. However, when my husband asked for a few simple things, she ignored us.” He pointed to the man and woman with blankets and pillows. “She gave them blanket and pillows without asking. Did she offer us any? No. My husband figured not to bother her, and went to get them himself for us. She snapped at him for getting them, making it seem as if he was planning to take your supply and run with it. Then she had the nerve to just toss it at us. Where is this polite? Is this in your training manual on how to treat passengers?”
 
“Do you really expect to make any business treating passengers that way?” Ryo added.
 
Dee managed to move until he was standing between Ryo, and the two members of the flight crew. He took the phone from the attendant. “I hope you were listening to all this and getting it down for my husband's complaint,” he said to Joel.
 
“Gentlemen, please. You can hang up. Tell Joel I'll send in an incident report with all details. I'm sure we can come to a solution for the time being.” The Captain glared at the attendant. “We're very sorry about this, sirs. She will stay with our first class passengers only for duration of this flight, and then recommended back for further training, and no more first class. Meanwhile she will treat you both with the courtesy our airline is known for.”
 
Both Ryo and Dee seemed to settle down as he spoke. Ryo had his hand resting on Dee's arm after he took the phone from the dark haired man and said his goodbyes to the supervisor on the phone. He still intended to follow up when they were in Atlanta, because she seemed too familiar with the supervisor to make Ryo believe there would be any disciplinary action taken. At least what the flight captain offered would go further in that direction.
 
“To show our deepest apologies, please stop by the desk on the way off our flight to pick up your free passes for two round trip tickets anywhere our airline flies.”
 
Ryo crossed his arms, glaring at the attendant as the captain spoke. He saw her eyes flash.
 
“No way!” she protested. “Not with that freak!” She pointed at Dee.
 
Ryo started to push Dee out of the way, once again furious. “Let me go, Dee,” he demanded when Dee did not give up his ground.
 
“No way. You are not going to hit a woman, no matter how insulting she is. She's an idiot, Ryo. Let it go,” Dee insisted, but his voice stung with the hurt he felt over her accusation.
 
“Dee, let go of me, dammit!” Ryo demanded.
 
Holding Ryo firmly, Dee glared at the captain. “We want another flight attendant. And by God, we'll manage to hold up this flight until you do,” he insisted. “As paying first class passengers, I demand it!”
 
Ryo opened his cell again. “Screw this,” he snapped. “I'm calling a friend of mine on the Times.” His eyes settled first on the attendant, then the flight captain. “They'll `love' this.”
 
The captain had the attendant standing behind him, in case Ryo decided to attack again and break past Dee. At that point, from the look on Dee's face, he was not so sure if both men would have a go at her.
 
Ryo gave the attendant a look which said he dared her to say something else along the same lines while he was on the phone.
 
As Dee noticed the Captain was making no move to either replace the attendant or to attempt to further soothe them, he looked at Ryo. “I think your grandmother would `love' this too, don't you?” he asked.
 
“Oh yes,” Ryo agreed. He tossed another glare at the flight crew. “Estelle MacLean will personally make sure that no one she knows flies this airline again. Of course, after this I'm calling CNN. I believe both the Times and CNN have an interest in you, Dee, and would jump hoops over stories of discrimination against you.”
 
Dee nodded in agreement, remembering that the New York Times and CNN were in attendance of the press conference he gave the month before. He had a thoughtful look on his face as his attention went back to the attendant. “You know, I remember your grandmother telling me that the MacLeans are the biggest stock holders for this airline,” he mused to Ryo, his eyes still fixed on the woman, who shifted uncomfortably under his stare. “In fact, they may all but own it. Imagine if they pulled all their shares what would happen to this airline. It might even fold.”
 
Ryo tried not to show the shock on his face from Dee's surprising tactic. As he noticed the flight captain suddenly look pale, he knew it was a good one. One they should further pursue. Along with calling in the news, he decided. “Hello? Hey Chuckie, listen I have a story for you. It's about Dee and a biased airline attendant. She has some issues about Dee being a Carrier and all, you know. Oh, her name is Elizabeth, badge number is 10745.” He heard her gasp, realizing that he had managed to catch the number. The Captain further paled, still wondering if the agitated brown hair man was really one of the chief stockholders' grandson.
 
Ryo chuckled at the stunned looks. “Oh, did you know that we're detectives for NYPD too?” He pointed to Dee. “This is Detective Dee Laytner-MacLean. Last month he gave that press conference on the Carrier Killer and hate crimes against Carriers. Believe me when I say he has the press on his side, and they would all be extremely interested in reporting this little incident in tomorrow's papers.”
 
Dee had his cell phone out and snapped a photo with it. “Smile, honey. `Cause you could be a front page star tomorrow.”
 
Elizabeth swayed and the Captain grabbed her roughly by her arm. “Please step off the plane, Beth. I'll meet you outside as soon as I announce a delay in our take off.” He glared at her. “So we can handle this situation with satisfactory results.”
 
“And of course you can use my grandparents' names to get any additional information you need,” Ryo spoke into the phone. “Why I bet you'll have her cell number before the presses roll.”
 
“Mr. MacLean… both… Please,” the Captain tried to reason. “I'm sure we can settle this peacefully.”
 
“Mr. Laytner-MacLean, to you, sir,” Dee remarked. “Both.”
 
“Dad, seriously. Calm down,” came Bikky's voice through the phone, only heard by Ryo.
 
Dee took a step back, suddenly looking a little pale. “I think I'm starting to feel sick. I knew I shouldn't have let myself get upset over this…”
 
“Please gentlemen,” the Captain said. “Let me announce that we're going to be delayed a while so we can get a replacement. Beth will not be flying with this flight. And please accept my sincerest apologies. And the free passes.”
 
“Actually Captain,” Ryo said, putting the phone down. “A new attendant would be more than compensation enough. But thank you.”
 
“Please accept them for the inconvenience anyway. The cost will come out of Beth's pay, of course. Even if it's her last paycheck with this company. Now if you will excuse me.”
 
Ryo blew the attendant a kiss as she was dragged off the plane. “Biks?” he said into the phone. With his other hand, he guided Dee to sit down and glanced at him in concern. “Let me talk to Grandma please.”
 
Dee looked up sharply at Ryo, realizing he was speaking to their son the entire time and started to laugh. As he laughed, the color started to come back. “Oh my God!” he hooted. “You're way too much sometimes, baby.”
 
The man across the aisle from them guffawed loudly, overhearing Ryo's conversation, and went back to his paperwork, seeming undaunted by the delay.
 
“Sure Dad,” Bikky remarked, laughing, having heard the entire confrontation. Ryo certainly was loud enough.
 
The flight captain's voice came over the loudspeaker as he announced there was to be a delay for a last minute crew change and they would be on their way as quickly as they could. Groans filled the interior of the plane at the announcement. Ryo had a sudden feeling that him and Dee were not the most popular passengers on that flight. Probably even less so for some who might have had issues with Carriers and/or gays. He quickly shrugged it off, figuring that they could have been on their way if there were no people with prejudice and felt a touch annoyed that him and Dee were not on their way already because of stupidity and narrow-mindedness.
 
“Grandma!” Bikky called out, after waiting out the announcement. “Dad wants to talk to you. He almost got himself arrested on their plane,” he laughed.
 
“Bikky!” Ryo cried out indignantly. “It was not even close. And you know Obasan prefers to be called Obasan, not… oh, hi Grandma,” he greeted when he heard Estelle speak into the phone.
 
“What's this about almost getting arrested?” she asked in concern. “What did they do to you or Dee?”
 
“Both, but it was directed toward Dee mostly,” Ryo replied. “And I didn't almost get arrested. But I was pretty angry and upset.”
 
“Tell me about it, Randy.”
 
As Ryo started to repeat the incident to his grandmother, the pregnant woman from the 12th row came over to them, looking upset. “I am so so sorry for all the trouble I caused,” she apologized to both men.
 
Ryo stood up. “Grandma, hold on a moment.” To the woman, he said, “It wasn't you, ma'am. I'm sorry you thought it was.”
 
Dee waved off her apology and smiled up at her. “It's not your fault, sweetheart. You had no idea of what we already went through.”
 
Ryo nodded in agreement, noting the woman started to relax a little. “We would have had words even if you hadn't been on the plane. It wasn't you. It was her.” He spoke into the phone. “Grandma, you still there?” With his eyes and a slight smile, he excused himself to continue speaking to his grandmother.
 
The woman already was giving her attention to Dee. “Still, I feel bad,” she said to him. “Us pregnant people need to stick together after all.”
 
“Yeah we do,” Dee replied, giving her a charming smile. “Thank you.”
 
Ryo paused from talking to Estelle. “When are you due?” he asked the woman.
 
“In early July,” she replied.
 
“Same month we are,” Ryo stated. “Only later in the month. Unless our MOP decides to move up Dee's c-section date. Which he might. He says the baby is developing very well from what he could tell, and might decide not to take chances of Dee going into labor before his time.”
 
The woman smiled at them. “My brother, he just had a baby. And I just had to go see him and my nephew. He had an early labor, or else I would have been there for the birth.”
 
Ryo gave her a warm smile. “Well, good for him and his son.”
 
“Congratulations on your nephew,” Dee said with a smile. He took Ryo's free hand and squeezed it. “We're on our honeymoon,” he offered.
 
Ryo squeezed Dee's hand back, with a loving smile for his husband. “Married less than 24 hours ago.”
 
“Oh! I'm really sorry. And congratulations. I should have known. You both have a glow that's more than the baby.”
 
“Excuse me again,” he said to the woman. “I'm sorry, Grandma. Oh, okay. I'll hold for Obasan.” He looked at Dee. “Apparently both Grandma and Obasan are there with Biks.”
 
Dee chuckled. “Grandma is probably making sure Obasan is settled in before heading off back to the Hamptons.”
 
“As if there aren't any Aokis still roaming loose in the city,” Ryo chuckled. “Obasan! How was the rest of the brunch?” He sat down and started to speak to his grandmother in Japanese.
 
Dee laughed at the surprised look on the woman's face at Ryo's flawless, fluent Japanese. “He doesn't look it, but he's part Japanese,” Dee explained.
 
Ryo suddenly looked up, realizing the woman was still standing. He jumped up from his seat. “Oh my God, forgive my rudeness,” he apologized to her. He indicated the seat he just got up from and moved to the side. “Please, if you're going to chat while we're waiting, you should be off your feet.”
 
“I'm Dee Laytner-MacLean,” Dee introduced himself as the woman sat down. “And this is my husband Randy.”
 
“I'm Lois Dragone,” she replied, shaking Dee's offered hand. “Pleased to meet you both.”
 
“It's a pleasure, Lois,” Ryo said, also shaking her hand, then went back to speaking on the phone.
 
While they talked, one of the attendants from business class came over to assure they were all comfortable and to offer drinks to everyone in first class during the wait.
 
A few minutes later, the Captain came out from the cockpit and walked over to them. “We're exchanging flight attendants with another flight. Your first class attendant will be boarding shortly, and then we can get settled to be on our way.”
 
“Would you like to sit here a while longer, or would you like an escort back to your seat, ma'am?” Ryo asked her with a smile.
 
“I should go back to my seat,” Lois replied. “But perhaps we can have dinner tonight, after I go see my brother in the hospital?”
 
Dee and Ryo exchanged a glance and Dee cleared his throat, while Ryo smiled.
 
“Oh! Nevermind. Forgive me. What am I thinking? You're honeymooners” Lois exclaimed, slapping her forehead. “I'm just a silly woman.”
 
Ryo chuckled. “I'm afraid we won't be available tonight.” He pulled out his wallet and took out his business card. “But once you have that baby, call us and we'll arrange for a play date or two, if you'd like.”
 
“Or even before then. Maybe sometime next month, we'll go out for dinner properly.”
 
“I'd like that,” the woman replied. She took her card out from her purse. “Enjoy your flight.” She smiled at Dee. “And just relax. It should be easier in your second trimester. Even after being upset from a rude and thoughtless flight attendant.”
 
“I'll take your word for it, Lois,” Dee replied with a wink. “It's been great talking to you. And hope to get a chance for more over dinner sometime.”
 
Ryo escorted her back to her seat, aware of a few glances cast in his direction. He ignored them as he made sure Lois was settled in, then went back to his seat. “She's so fired,” Ryo said about the attendant.
 
Dee chuckled and took Ryo's hand. He leaned over to lightly kiss Ryo. “I love you, you know that.”
 
“And I love you too.” Ryo smiled brightly, studying Dee's handsome face. “And I'm sorry, but I just had to.”
 
“I know, Ryo. It's fine.”
 
They kissed again. “Now you were saying something about selecting an in-flight movie?” Ryo asked.
 
Dee laughed. “Pick something you know you'll like, because I might be snoozing through some of it.”
 
They both settled in their seats as the new first class attendant came aboard and the flight crew prepared for departure. As the plane finally started to be towed away from the terminal, Dee rested his head against Ryo's shoulder and closed his eyes, smiling.