Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected II ❯ Hello Chibi ( Chapter 37 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: The Unexpected II
Chapter 35 - Hello Chibi
Rating: R
Fandom: FAKE
Pairings: Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
Disclaimer: FAKE is not mine. We have Sanami Matoh for giving us Dee, Ryo and the rest of the 27th precinct characters. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
March 26, 2006
 
“So basically, our killer found an empty loading bay for the dump?” Dominic asked.
 
JJ nodded. “What we came up with after talking to employees is that the last truck pulled out of the bay around noon, and they were not expecting another truck until 6 pm. They were scheduled for quite a few deliveries Friday night.”
 
“All put on hold because it became a crime scene,” Drake added.
 
“Who found the victim?” Diana asked.
 
“A Pathmark employee. She went out to have a smoke and found the body under the platform of one of the bays.”
 
“Anyone see any cars in the area?” Dominic asked.
 
“Nope. No cars,” Dee stated. “However, we managed to get the security tapes for Pathmark and got this.” Dee placed pictures on the desk before the two FBI agents.
 
Those who were in that morning, filled the FBI agents in on what had happened since Friday afternoon.
 
“That's what you get for leaving early,” Ryo said, looking amused.
 
“You're starting to get annoying, pretty boy,” Diana shot back.
 
“Did we look up the name on the truck?” Dominic asked as he studied the photos of the vehicle that looked like it was a bread truck. “What about the perp?”
 
“Male,” Ryo said. “Definitely, judging from the build of the shoulders and the proportions of the torso. Unfortunately the head mask and black bulky clothes doesn't do well in getting an ID.”
 
Dee snorted. “Apparently we have a dragon for a killer.”
 
The others took a moment to laugh at Dee, and welcomed the break in tension.
 
“And yes, we did look up the name of the bakery, and came up with nothing. Pathmark says they don't deal with any bakeries of that name,” JJ said.
 
“Adaris Creed. What a weird name,” Diana mused. “Ethnic?”
 
“Or totally fake,” Ryo stated. “Which I'm willing to put my money on.”
 
“Yeah,” Dom agreed with Ryo. “Name of victim?”
 
Dee looked down at the open file before him and sighed heavily. “Keith Benton-Ramirez and Tracy Ann.” Diana stared at Dee. “Victim was 26 years old, married to Allen for four years, first pregnancy. Was 32 weeks pregnant.”
 
“When Dee and I spoke to the husband yesterday, he kept referring to the baby by the name they'd given it,” Ryo explained because of the looks Dee got when he mentioned two names.
 
“So? Are we holding at one?”
 
Drake held up his fingers. “Two. First thing in the morning, we got a call. At Riis Park. Nevermind it being officially spring, it's fuckin' cold on the beach. JJ and I spent the day canvassing, only to return and find those photos that Dee and Ryo obtained. So now, we go back today and ask if anyone saw the truck.”
 
“Yeah, no kidding,” Dominic said. “I'll like to take these pictures to headquarters and see if our equipment can pick up anything.”
 
“Sure,” Ryo stated. “We were hoping one of you two would say that, so we had a set made up for you.” Ryo handed Dominic a manila folder that was labeled.
 
“Right now, we have no further information, so me and JJ go back to Riis Park and work our way up Rockaway Blvd, I guess,” Drake said. “Diana and Dom, you're going to see what your labs can come up with what we have. Dee and Ryo are going to poke around the Pathmark some and see what they can come up with.”
 
“I have an appointment for lunch that I can't miss,” Dee remarked. “So Ryo and I will be off the clock for about an hour. We'll call in when we're back on duty.”
 
“What's up, Dee?” Diana asked.
 
Dee smirked. “Apparently there's a detective in Brooklyn who wants to get pregnant, but fear of being pregnant on the job has been stopping him. He called me here on Friday after the press conference and asked if he could talk to me. So with any luck, but the time I have this baby, I won't be the only pregnant detective in the NYPD.”
 
“That's good,” Diana said, approvingly. “And I think it's wonderful that you're using your position to help others. Good on you, Dee.”
 
“Thanks,” Dee said. “So, are we ready to head out?”
 
“Wait! Before anyone goes anywhere and we stand a chance of not having all of us meet up again today, I need to ask you something, Dee and Ryo,” Drake said.
 
JJ rolled his eyes. “Oh brother.” He giggled.
 
“Oh?” Dee asked. “What? We already told you no explicit details of our honeymoon to live vicariously by.”
 
Diana snort and Dominic laughed. “Oh, very funny,” Diana said.
 
“Like you're not anxious with curiosity, Sea Hag,” Dee remarked. “Anyways, question, Drake?”
 
“Tomorrow you go for the ultrasound, don't you?” Drake asked.
 
“Yup!” Dee grinned. “Hard to believe I'm at that point already, but I am. And I can't wait.”
 
“You're so going to owe me when we leave, Dee,” Ryo quipped.
 
“You think? You better be prepared to pay up.”
 
The others watched Dee and Ryo amused.
 
“So Dee wants a girl, Ryo wants a boy,” Diana summed up. “And will we get to find out who is the winner?”
 
“Dee swears he's having a girl, while I say he's having a boy. Devil's advocate and all that,” Ryo replied with a laugh. “And maybe.”
 
“Maybe? C'mon, guys. Wouldn't it make it easier when we start going through the baby registry?” Drake asked.
 
Ryo studied his co-workers, then looked at Dee. “I get the sense it's not just mere curiosity about what we're having,” he said.
 
“Nor to pick out baby gifts,” Dee agreed. He looked at the others. “So what's up?”
 
“Baby pool,” Drake said. “It closes tomorrow at 8 am. We figure once you know the sex of the baby, we can start the elimination.”
 
“Wait a minute. What else would there be after determining the sex?” Dee asked.
 
“Duh Dee. You've betted in these things before,” Drake remarked.
 
“Yeah. On woman who wait until they go into labor, which could be anywhere from their 36th week to their 40th, and then some. We have a date set for the C-section, and a time. There's not much more guesswork involved with this baby,” Dee explained.
 
“I'll bet that date is penciled in,” JJ spoke. “Because anytime in the next few months, if Vince feels that you might be ready to have that baby sooner, he'll change the date. Right? So we have people who are betting on the date you gave for the C-section, and others who feel you're going to go in earlier. Then if we still have more than one person with the right date, we go for weight to determine our winner.”
 
“I see you thought this out well,” Ryo stated, looking amused. “Not bad for Janet.”
 
Drake waved a hand. “Ah Janet. She was going for sex and weight. After doing some research, I stepped in to make it more interesting.”
 
“We'll see,” Dee remarked. “Or maybe we'll make everyone wait until we have the registries ready. Then you can figure it out by the color clothes we pick.”
 
“You're so funny, Dee,” Diana said. “You should go on TV.”
 
The others in the office except Dominic laughed at Diana.
 
“What? It wasn't that funny,” she asked.
 
“Dee is going to be on television this week,” Ryo replied with a proud smile. He's going to be on Good Morning America on Wednesday, and David Letterman on Friday.”
 
Diana's mouth dropped.
 
“Didn't the Commissioner tell you?” Dee asked, amazed that she didn't know.
 
“I didn't see him since Friday afternoon. Oh well, when I see him later, I'll ask him for a rundown.” Diana looked at Dee and laughed. “Oh God, Dee Laytner-MacLean a TV star. We're in trouble.”
 
“Dee is going to do fine,” Ryo defended, even if he knew the woman he considered his best friend was joking.
 
“If he's anything like he was on Friday afternoon, I believe it,” Dominic said. “You had everyone eating out of your hands, Dee.”
 
“Thank you,” Dee said with a smile. He glanced at his watch. “Alrighty now. Since it seems we're finished with our breakfast rundown, it's time to head out.”
 
Diana laughed again. “Anxious to be back in the field, Dee?” she asked.
 
“You have no idea how much I missed it,” Dee sighed.
 
“Oh we know,” Drake exclaimed. “With all the bitching and whining we've been dealing with in the last couple of months, we believe it.”
 
“Shut up, Drake,” Dee snapped, tossing the bag with the garbage from his and Ryo's breakfast at the laughing man. “See you later.” He took his coat from Ryo and the married couple left the office.
 
“He looks so much better since they came back from that honeymoon, doesn't he?” Diana asked.
 
“Oh yeah. Even with that upset on Thursday morning, Dee's still looking more like his old self these days,” JJ replied.
 
“And twice as obnoxious,” Drake laughed. “But you know, even Ryo is more relaxed. He would walk around, like he was expecting the worse to happen.”
 
“One, I think having the wedding over and done with and being married to Dee helps,” Diana said. “Two, a nice week and a half long relaxing honeymoon, including a resort with programs designed to help with the relaxation process. Three, he came back to confirmation that Carriers aren't just randomly picked off the streets unwillingly. It makes a difference on Ryo. On Dee too, since now he can go out and investigate again.” Diana smirked. “And speaking of difference on Ryo, anyone notice that he's probably enjoying joining Dee in his cravings attacks too much?”
 
Drake and JJ laughed. “We were discussing that Friday,” JJ said. “It's not that bad on him yet. Ryo had room for a little weight gain. But he better watch out soon.”
 
“Okay, you two. We're heading out now. Call us if you come up with anything,” Drake said.
 
“Roger that,” Diana replied. “Good luck out there.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~
 
March 27, 2006
 
“Welcome back, newlyweds,” Vince greeted Dee and Ryo in the waiting room of the clinic he operated out of. “I understand you have some special requests for this visit?”
 
Dee laughed, holding up his laptop in the case. “Yeah, we need this hooked up so we can broadcast this around the world.” He grinned.
 
“Plus Grandma couldn't make it today, and she so wanted to be here,” Ryo explained.
 
“This is an exciting moment,” Vince agreed. “And I'm glad to see so many of your family wanting to be part of it.” He looked at the teen standing between Dee and Ryo. “Hi Bikky. Are you excited to see your brother or sister?”
 
Bikky nodded his head. “Oh hell yeah, Doc Vince. This is awesome. Ow! I'm sorry, Penguin… Ow! Mother!”
 
Ryo laughed, ruffling Bikky's blonde hair. “Yup, he's excited alright.” The gleam in Ryo's dark eyes made it clear that he was just as excited.
 
“And it's a pleasure to have you join us today, Mother Lane.”
 
Mother laced her hands in front of her and smiled brightly at Vince. “You have no idea how excited I am.” She smiled at Dee. “Imagine, we're going to see my baby boy's baby.”
 
“What about you, Dee? No last minute decision to wait until birth?” Vince asked.
 
“Are you f-flipping kiddin' me, Vince?” Dee replied, barely catching himself from cussing in front of Mother. He chuckled to himself, thinking that Andy should see him when he's around Mother. “I want to start picking out a name for the Chibi. Besides, Ryo and I have a bet to settle.”
 
“We're going to use two rooms today, Dee,” Vince explained. “One for the general examination part and we're going to get all those embarrassing questions out of the way. I understand Ryo has his appointment with Tim tomorrow, which is a wise move. Usually when I have a happy couple for this examine, they want to go out to celebrate, or call family, or whatever. The last thing the Papa-to-be wants is to sit down with his counselor and talk about whatever they talk about.”
 
Ryo nodded. “I'm most likely going to have to call both grandmothers. Meanwhile we're all going out to dinner afterward.”
 
“It's the day to do that,” Vince said. “Now while I'm examining Dee, in the other room, I'll have my assistant set up the connection on Dee's computer to have the cam set up for when we're all ready to take a peek at the Chibi. Now remember, we will most likely see enough to figure things out, but it's not going to look like those woman's ultrasounds. Especially with this one's thick skin. Got it?”
 
“Understood, Doctor,” Mother replied.
 
“Why are we standing around?” Dee asked.
 
Vince chuckled. “Ah, here's my assistant now. Dee, you would go with Sam please and get yourself undressed please. But make sure you're decent enough for your Mother to see you when we enter.”
 
Ryo and Mother laughed. “Oh please, I used to change his diapers,” Mother remarked, amused.
 
“Mom!” Dee complained. “That was a long time ago.” He followed the assistant into the first examining room, while Vince made sure Ryo, Mother and Bikky were comfortable until they were called in. “I'm going to do the last part first, then I'll come get you. Ryo, Bikky, you know where the refreshments are. Make sure Mother Lane has something. We'll make this as quick as we can.”
 
~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~
 
“We're ready for everyone,” Vince announced, coming into the waiting room. “I have to add that Dee's looking very well. He's putting on a little extra weight than normal, but still within range to be healthy. Actually in a little while we'll find out if the weight is craving weight, or baby weight, and go from there. There's still a small sign of anemia, so I'm going to send for some lab work, but from what I can see, that seems to be within acceptable levels for pregnancy too. All in all, this is a very uncomplicated pregnancy as far as Dee's risk level goes,” the doctor informed Dee's family. “And he's glowing!” Vince laughed. He looked at Ryo. “His blood pressure went down too. You know while there was no cause for worry, his blood pressure was up a bit too much. I account that to stress levels. It's down to exactly where it should be now.”
 
Ryo smiled. “That's a relief. But you know, Dee's been back in the field since we came back to work. I think that has something to do with it.”
 
“Just as long as he doesn't overdo it, or think he can chase after a criminal for several blocks, then that's a good thing.”
 
“Yup. We're making sure he knows what he can't do. But just being out there, even doing what he can do, makes a difference.”
 
“You know, I watched that press conference on Friday. We had it on here. Some of the other patients who met Dee were excited as anything to see someone they know on a special broadcast. He looked great, Ryo. And when he spoke of his job, it wasn't so much the words he said, it was the way he spoke. Being a detective is in his blood. So before when he was stuck behind a desk, he was half a man. He did well enough in that capacity, but I've been monitoring for his stress levels very carefully. I still will, because Dee's very susceptible to it, but right now, he's fine. I just wanted you to know that.” His glance included Bikky and Mother as he clapped his hands together. “Now, I'll bet you're all as proud as anything of him and what he did on Friday. We had people in here cheering and clapping. It seems Dee has become something of a community hero of late.”
 
Ryo laughed as he hugged Mother's arm. “Dee's going to be on TV some more this week. Our Media Department has a couple of national broadcast shows lined up. You wouldn't believe how many shows called asking to have him on. And newspapers and magazines, too.” Ryo was beaming with pride. “Dee's going to talk about the Carrier Case, what we know to help Carriers stay safe until we collar the killer, and then about what it means to him being pregnant and a detective.”
 
“Oh really? Well, you'll have to email me with it all, so we can watch it. Now, he should be decent enough, since I had to make him strip a bit more to run some tests. So shall we?”
 
Ryo smiled, putting an arm around Bikky's shoulder and letting Mother hold onto his arm. “Let's go,” he said.
 
~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~
 
The rest of the first part of the examination went fast. Mother stayed in the corner of the small room with Bikky, watching with loving eyes as the doctor continued his examination on Dee. When it came time to check the baby's heartbeat, Mother found herself with tears in her eyes. Dee and Ryo had given her a copy of the recording the first time they heard it, but it was nothing like standing in the room, and hearing the muffled drumming as the doctor moved the microphone around Dee's swollen belly. Bikky tugged on her sleeve, and when she looked over, the teen was holding a tissue out to her.
 
“Thank you, Bikky,” she said softly. “I'm sorry, but that is just too beautiful a sound for this old woman.”
 
Bikky smiled and put his arm around her. “It's a pretty awesome sound for a kid like me,” he said, resting his head against her arm.
 
Mother smiled brighter, as she continued to listen to the sound of her unborn child's heartbeat, with her teenage grandson. When Vince was finished, Ryo grabbed tissues from the nearby box, handing one to Dee, and using one for himself.
 
“Aw, they're both so happy about this,” Mother sighed to Bikky. “They are truly blessed. First you, now this baby. Imagine, Bikky. You're going to be a big brother.”
 
“Yeah.” As Vince spoke to the happy couple about their getting a copy of that examination, Bikky looked at Mother seriously. “You know, I love my dad, and also my mom, and sometimes I still miss them, but there are other times that…” he smiled at her. “Ryo and Dee are really good to me, like as if they really are my dads. Sometimes, I wish they were. Then I wouldn't be missing my mom and dad. and only know what it's like having the best two fathers in the world. I intend to make sure when the baby is old enough that he knows he's really lucky to be their biological child. `Cause I know I'm really lucky that they are my dads.”
 
Mother hugged Bikky to her. “Oh, my child. They're really lucky having you.”
 
“What are we missing?” they heard Ryo's teasing voice.
 
“Oh, I'm just so happy to be so blessed. That my Dee has such a wonderful family already. And then there's the baby on the way.”
 
“Dee and I know we have the best family, and that includes Dee's mom.” He smiled at her. “Come on, we get to follow Dee and tease him while he has to go into the other room in that hospital gown.”
 
Mother laughed and turned to face her son, who was standing up and trying to hold the back together with one arm, while Vince laughed at him.
 
As Vince and Dee joined them near the door, Vince exclaimed, “That kid has one strong heartbeat. From what I can see, everything is great. I stopped worrying about the uterine lining a long time ago, but it's developing and growing very nicely. I'm contributing some of Dee's extra weight gain to it, because it's slightly larger than it should be at this point, but nothing to worry about. It means the baby has room,” he explained as they walked down the hallway to the room where the ultrasound was to be performed.
 
“Yeah, that's all great and fine,” Dee said. “But it's playing havoc on my hips and back. Not to mention more trips to the john. Plus I look like I'm six months, instead of five. I'm gonna be a cow by eight!”
 
“I want you to get in touch with your physical trainer and have him show you a few exercises that should help relieve the back pain. Speaking of exercising,” Vince asked, “how much do you get in normally?”
 
“I workout in the house for about a half hour every other day, using the routine Mitch worked out with me,” Dee replied. “Then there's that 15 minute stretch routine for everyday. And ever since Miami, Ryo and I have been walking everyday. I mean other than to the subway and stuff. We go out after dinner and just walk for a while. It all started with strolls along the beach on our honeymoon, but now, we go exploring in our neighborhood.”
 
“Excellent. I have to say that you're still in excellent shape, Dee,” Vince said. “Still have your arm definition, your pecs are as firm as ever, and your shoulders and upper back muscles too.” He poked Dee in his belly. “Even if you're putting on more weight than average, don't let anyone tell you that you're fat. Because you're far from it.”
 
Ryo hugged Dee. “See that? All that worry and you're not fat. So quit the whining at times.”
 
Mother and Bikky laughed as Dee stuck his tongue out at Ryo.
 
“However, another way to quit the moaning about putting on excess weight would be to cut down on the junk food attacks,” Vince suggested with a smirk.
 
“Aw Vince, I can't help it. I just crave it something awful,” Dee whined.
 
Ryo rolled his eyes. “See what I have to live with?”
 
“Quiet,” Dee grumbled as the others laughed.
 
Vince led them inside a room at the end of the hall. He indicated the examining table to Dee. “If you would please.”
 
Ryo noticed that Dee's laptop was on a small table and angled so that not only Dee could be seen, but the monitor scan that will have the images of the ultrasound. Ryo helped Dee get comfortable on the table, then again while Vince adjusted the upper half so Dee was no fully on his back and yet not completely sitting up. Mother and Bikky stood off to the side next to the table with the laptop, Mother's arms on Bikky's shoulders.
 
After making sure everything was ready, Vince smiled at Dee and Ryo. “Okay, Dee. As you know, this one is going to be different than the first one. That one we ran under an emergency situation, so all the extras you requested were not available. Also that last time, you were only at 14 weeks, and not much to see. Once again, this is why we wait until the 20th week for the telling ultrasound, even if that first one did guide us in determining everything was fine with the baby at the time of your collapse. Since then the chibi has been through a lot of developing, with more to come in the remaining months. By the way, Dee, congratulations. You are officially at the halfway point of pregnancy. Which means according to Carrier guidelines, you are over the halfway point. Our tentative date for C-section is July 25th, meaning there's only 17 and a half weeks left. Now, depending on the results of today, that might change.” Vince gave Dee an encouraging smile. “Nothing to worry about, as long as we continue to project a good C-section date.”
 
“Are you already thinking it'll be sooner?” Ryo asked, holding Dee's hand.
 
Vince nodded. “From the first part of this exam, yes, I'm forming the opinion to move it up about a week to make sure Dee doesn't go into labor on us. Because of the measurements of the uterine lining, I won't be surprised if we see a baby slightly ahead of what it should be. Which is not anything to worry about. It just means the baby is developing faster and will be ready to live outside the uterine lining with no difficulty sooner than 37 weeks. Remember normal pregnancies for both men and women can go from 36 - 40 weeks. So the baby is still growing on target, and showing no cause to test for any abnormities in hormones or glands.”
 
“Those would be tests done after the baby was born?” Dee asked. “I mean if it comes to having to deliver before 36 weeks.”
 
“Standard guidelines for Carriers would be before 35 weeks,” Vince replied. “And yes, if we decide we need to get the baby out before then, there would be tests on the baby after birth to make sure all is well. The first thing to be checked would be the pituitary gland. However, I'm sure that won't be an issue here. Moving up your C-section date by a week is very likely and normal. So don't worry.”
 
Dee nodded, squeezing Ryo's hand. He looked over to Mother and Bikky and smiled. “Sorry we're holding up the main entertainment.”
 
Mother laughed. “That's quite fine, Dee. I'm enjoying standing here and watching this.”
 
Vince chuckled. “I'm afraid I'm not as interesting as our TV star here when I talk on, but I do need to assure Dee and Ryo know what to expect and where not to worry. With that out of the way, Dee, this time I'm going to have to ask you to lift the hospital gown up or this could get messy.”
 
Dee glanced at Mother for a moment, then gave her a rueful grin before pulling up the gown. Ryo tucked the gathered gown so it wouldn't fall during the ultrasound.
 
Bikky laughed. “Look at those cheesy shorts!” he exclaimed.
 
“Quiet rugrat or I'll make you stand outside,” Dee teased the teen.
 
“Yeah right. Ryo wouldn't let me miss this for anything, and you know it.”
 
“I'll tell you what I know,” Dee started.
 
“I'll make you both stand outside if you don't shut up and let us get on with this,” Ryo remarked anxiously.
 
Both Bikky and Dee looked at Ryo, who was grinning from ear to ear, with shining eyes. Vince and Mother laughed.
 
“Okay, let's get this show on the road, before Dee ends up in the hall,” Vince remarked, amused. “Ryo, if you would please, make sure we have our audience at the ready.”
 
Ryo kissed Dee's forehead before he turned to the laptop and started connection for this two grandmothers, along with assorted cousins in Japan, and Dee's family in Ireland. “Test,” he said finally
 
“I see you, Randy,” Estelle's voice came from the computer. “And I see Dee too. My darling, you look most adorable right now.”
 
Ryo laughed as Dee blushed, suddenly aware of having his gown hitched up above the bump and wearing hospital issued paper style boxers while various family members looked on. “Yes, he does, Grandma. I take it you're ready?”
 
“Yes, we are. This is amazing. I never knew a computer can do this. I'm so happy Eunice knows what to do.”
 
“Hi Dee, hi Ryo,” Eunice said. “I'm just making sure your grandparents get a good transmission.”
 
“Right. You had the know-how and that got you into the exclusive viewing,” Ryo remarked amused. “If Grandfather there?”
 
“Right here, Randy. I know you have other family to get to, so we'll just sit back and watch from here. And Dee, you look splendid.”
 
“Gee, thanks much, Grandfather,” Dee drawled.
 
Laughter came from the computer.
 
“Okay, checking in with Japan now,” Ryo commented. “So enjoy the show. Obasan? Are you there?”
 
“Oh yes, we are,” Akira's excited voice replied in Japanese. “This is so exciting. Your aunt and uncles are here, along with your cousins. We're having a party in the honor of this event, and will be sending you a DVD during the week.”
 
Dee laughed. “I'm looking forward to seeing it, Obasan,” he remarked in Japanese, amused. He remembered how when his Japanese friends would have these big theme parties, and actually send out flyers, with a suggested admission - which helped pay the party's expensives, and afterward he would receive a video tape of the party. When he went back to New York City, once in a while his friends would throw some party in some weird reference to Dee and send him a recording of it. He should have realized it was a Japanese thing, and was highly amused that Ryo's family was doing the same thing.
 
“That sounds wonderful, Obasan,” Ryo replied, also in Japanese. “Let us know when it's sent so we can keep a look out for it. Dee and I will give you a call later tonight when we're out of here. Love you.”
 
“Love you too, Ryo, and Dee. And of course the little Chibi.”
 
“Okay, last stop on this international conference, Ireland. Do we have Ireland in the house?” Ryo asked.
 
“Indeed you do,” Siobhan's voice replied. “I'm here with Mum, and the kids and we're all very excited. Thank you for including us.”
 
“Dee and I decided we couldn't do this without having family present. So it's an honor to us to have you watch.”
 
“I'll bet Maria is just beside herself,” Clarisse said.
 
“Hi Siobhan, hi Clarisse, hello assorted kids,” Dee called out. “Actually, she's beside our son, but yes, she's very excited. We all are.”
 
Mother rolled her eyes. “Dee, you're so silly sometimes.”
 
“Indeed he is, but he has always been that way,” Clarisse said.
 
“Okay, we have everyone. So now I'm going to have to ask everyone to forgive us while we ignore you until we call later tonight,” Ryo said, with a warm smile. “Vince, we're ready.”
 
He turned on the recording equipment and spoke. “March 26, ultrasound for Dee Laytner-MacLean, 20 weeks two days, fetus term 18 weeks. Proceeding as follows.” Leaving the recording equipment on, he turned on the monitor and grinned at Dee as he picked up the applicator for the gel. “Everything you say will be held against you,” he stated.
 
Ryo laughed. Dee rolled his eyes chuckling.
 
“Sorry, I've always wanted to say that to you two. Now Dee, this is going to be cold and sticky. Try to keep complaints to a minimum.”
 
“Sure. Ever since I've started coming to you, I've been adept at withstanding torture,” Dee quipped.
 
Ryo snorted loudly. “Yeah, right. We'll see in a second.”
 
Mother chuckled warmly, still holding onto Bikky's shoulders.
 
“Hey!” Dee exclaimed, wriggling while he laughed a little.
 
“See?” Ryo remarked laughing.
 
“You're acting like we've never done this before, Dee,” Vince commented.
 
“Something I should know about?” Ryo joked as Vince finished putting the gel on the bump.
 
“Hey now, this is a family event,” Dee said, chuckling.
 
“Okay, now after all the big build up, let's see if I can actually find a place that will let us look in,” Vince said. “For those who are not used to Carrier pregnancies, because the uterine lining is artificially form after conception of an embryo, the lining is thicker and have some different genetic properties than your average female womb. It's a temporary housing, and basically a foreign object that has worked its way into the hosts body, making everything work together, hopefully in harmony, during the pregnancy. During the C-section, after the baby is born, the ruptured uterine lining will be removed. Others will form with any pregnancies after that. To put it simply, it's tougher than a female uterus, and we might not have as many options to see the baby. I can guarantee we'll see something, and I'll be able to do enough determination based on facts I gathered earlier in the exam to how the baby is progressing. With luck, we should be able to tell whether this is a girl chibi or a boy chibi. Are we ready?”
 
Ryo nodded, holding Dee's hand again, smiling. “Yes.”
 
“Come on with it, already doc,” Dee remarked, his eyes going from Vince, down to his swell, then to the monitor.
 
Chuckles filled the room, from Mother, Bikky and the assorted family watching the exam on cam.
 
Vince started to move the device along Dee's abdomen, the images changing on the monitor, but nothing to hint of a fetus. Suddenly the image changed as he moved along the left side of the bump.
 
“Oh my!” Vince laughed. “Sorry about that, folks.” He looked over at Dee and Ryo. Dee's eyes were fixed to the screen, his face indication he knew exactly what he was looking at. Ryo was peering at the screen, his face soft as he knew they were looking at the baby, but not quite figuring out what of the baby.
 
“Yes!” Dee cried out, laughing. “Yes!”
 
Vince shook his head as Ryo looked at Dee confused, still looking at the monitor out of the corner of his eyes. “What?”
 
“I didn't realize that your little girl might have some exhibitionist tendencies,” Vince chuckled.
 
“What?” Ryo repeated, then looked back at the screen. After a moment, the image became more clear to him. “Oh my….” His face broke out in a huge grin. He laughed.
 
Vince indicated the three lines forming something like a triangle at an angle that was very up close on the screen. “She's pressed up right along this side. There's no denying that Chibi is definitely a girl. That's probably the clearest shot we'll ever get of a baby in the uterine lining.”
 
“Yes!” Dee repeated. He looked up at Ryo, tears in his eyes. “We're having a girl.”
 
Ryo laughed and kissed Dee. “I guess we are. And I don't mind losing the bet. As long as we have a healthy baby and…” His eyes went back to the screen. “My God, a girl. We have a pronoun now.”
 
“We do,” Dee laughed, crying with joy.
 
Bikky held up another tissue for Mother, who laughed as she accepted it and wiped her eyes. “Oh Dee, a little girl. That is wonderful.”
 
“Can I still teach her how to play basketball when she's older,” Bikky asked, smiling.
 
“Of course you can, Biks,” Dee replied. “If she's my kid, she's going to know basketball.”
 
Ryo laughed.
 
“Let me see if I can get her to move some so we can get a better image of her.” Vince started to tap along Dee's abdomen, in hopes to make the baby move.
 
“Hey easy there, Vince,” Dee remarked. “I can feel this, you know. Oof! She just kicked!”
 
Vince laughed. “I tried to see if we could see in on the right side, but no luck. We do have an opening under here and, oh here we go.” He laughed as Dee made a face, looking down at the bump. “She looks wonderful, Dee.”
 
“Easy darling. She just kicked again.”
 
“Yes, I caught the movement on the second one,” Vince said. “
 
Everyone was looking at the screen again. The image was not as clear as before, but Ryo realized it was more than the murky blob in the photo from the last time. “Oh…” Ryo remarked, amazed, as he stared at his daughter on the screen.
 
Squeals and aws came from the laptop. “Oh sweet Lord,” Mother murmured reverently. “This is my grandchild.” She squeezed Bikky's shoulders again and kissed the top of his head. “And your sister.”
 
“Still looks like a blob,” Bikky remarked, teasing.”
 
Vince went through the image, pointing out when she moved, she curled up more, which was better for him. She was facing forward, her knees folded up. Her arms were folded up too. “Two arms, two legs, two eyes and ears,” Vince stated as he finished pointing out features. And yes, she is slightly larger than she should be at this point.” He looked over at Dee. “Which means once I get a chance to really study the images, I'll be calling you with your new delivery date. It shouldn't be more than a week earlier.”
 
“A week earlier to have her here,” Dee said, his arms going into the position of holding a baby, “than there,” he pointed to the screen.
 
“She's right there, silly,” Ryo remarked, his voice still filled with awe, as he pointed to Dee's abdomen.
 
“I know,” Dee laughed as Ryo bent down to kiss Dee again.
 
“She's beautiful, Dee. She might still look a little like a blob right now, but she's still beautiful. Oh my God, our daughter. Dee….” Both him and Dee laughed when a tissue suddenly appeared before Ryo. Ryo took it from Bikky and wiped his eyes. “Thanks, Biks. Now… I love you so much, Dee.” He leaned over again for another soft kiss. “Thank you. Thank you so much.”
 
“I think that's beautiful,” Estelle said. “And since this is the first MacLean heir in a very long time that is a girl, I am personally excited about this. Randy, Dee, I'm so happy about this.”
 
“Dee, judging from Ryo's grandmother here, I highly suggest buying stock in tissue paper before that little baby is born,” Franklin's voice said.
 
Dee laughed. Somehow, someway, during the endless parties leading up to the wedding, he ended up talking about investing with Franklin MacLean, admitting that while he did not have the money to play the stocks, he did keep a portfolio of what he would have had if he did. Franklin was impressed, telling Dee that he seemed to have a natural flair for it, and they would talk again about it after the honeymoon. “I get that feeling too, sir.”
 
Vince wrapped up the exam, and while he cleaned up, so Dee could go and change into his clothes, Ryo briefly spoke to the family again, giving Mother a chance to also say hello to her family. Then Mother took Bikky out of the room, to wait in the waiting room. Ryo shut down the connection, and started to put away the laptop.
 
Ryo handed Dee more tissues when he turned his attention back to his husband as Vince's assistant came in with Dee's clothes.
 
“That was a success, if you ask me,” Vince stated. “Look Dee, we're going to leave you now so you can get dressed. There's some wet naps over there to wipe up any places I might have missed. You're looking a little flushed too, but it's a good one. Feeling good?”
 
“Oh God, yes. I am. Our baby girl. God,” Dee rambled on. “I mean I knew we were going to see her, but….”
 
Ryo hugged Dee, also still emotional. “But it's not the same as actually seeing.” He touched the bump and smiled. “Hey there little girl chibi. You're a beautiful little girl, for a blob.”
 
Dee laughed, kissing Ryo.
 
“I'm sorry the images aren't as clear as women get, but that's the way it is for Carriers for now. And much better than five years ago. I should show you what Hannah looked like in hers,” Vince said. “But they're working on it. At least there's enough money in the field for new technology to be worked on. So maybe by the next one, you'll have a clearer picture.”
 
Dee pointed at Ryo. “The next one, right here.”
 
Ryo laughed, nodding his head. “Yup, that would be me. But not for a couple of years yet.” He kissed Dee again. “You go get changed and we'll meet you outside there.”
 
“Okay.” Dee smiled up. “A girl.”
 
“ I want to get a few things done before I let you go and celebrate,” Vince said to Dee after Ryo left.
 
“Sure. Oh, um….” Dee looked a little uncomfortable, playing with the hospital gown. “Vince?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“Something you said while we were coming to this room made me decide. And, its… yeah. I'm gonna do it.”
 
Vince laughed. “Are you sure? Maybe you want to take a day or two to think a little more about it?”
 
“I've been thinking all month,” Dee replied. “But well, if things are looking like I won't go soft and flabby there, then yeah, I could do it.”
 
“Oh, I'm sorry Dee. I should have pointed that out to you during that part of the exam. But yes. I forgot that sometimes a man's decision is based on the chance of his actually ending up with something like breasts, but no. You won't. Your muscle definition in the area is very good. You'll remain firm and no one would be any the wiser. Unless they walked in on you feeding the baby.”
 
“Good.”
 
“The glands needed to produce the milk would be internal. Yes, if a man's pectoral definition is not firm, and he doesn't regularly work out those muscles, he does become soft, flabby, even appear to have small breasts. That's not a factor for you, Dee. So shall I also include your first dosage for the hormones when you leave today?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Don't look so embarrassed about it. Or are you going to hide from Ryo whenever you have to feed the baby.”
 
“Probably not Ryo, after I get used to the idea. But I'm working on that now. Thanks, Vince.”
 
“I'll leave you now. See you in a bit, Dee.”
 
 
When Vince joined the happy family, he handed Dee an envelope that contained the two frozen images from the ultrasound, and a CD with the recording of the exam. He explained that he included the images on the CD too. He gave Dee some instructions for that point in the pregnancy. The last thing Vince did was hand Dee a packet and a prescription, along with another a handbook. Ryo looked on in curiosity as to what Dee was prescribed for, since his vitamin prescription was good until after the pregnancy. Dee quickly shoved the handbook in the side pocket of his laptop case. Vince suggested that Dee make an appointment with a counselor. Ryo was more curious.
 
As they left, Vince made them promise to email him with the dates and times for the TV appearances, and any magazines he would do interviews for.
 
On the way to where they were going to eat, and meet Carol, Ryo called his MacLean grandparents, talking until they got to the restaurant. Dee gave Mother his cell phone to call her family while they waited for their food. Ryo waited until they got home later that night before he called his grandmother in Japan and ended up talking to his family.
 
When they went to bed, Ryo finally asked Dee about the packet. Dee smiled at Ryo, explaining it was a days worth of pills until he could fill the prescription the next day. When he said why, Ryo was surprised. He couldn't say he was put off by the idea, especially when Dee told him what made him finally decide.
 
However, later that night, while Dee slept, Ryo found himself in the kitchen, sitting at the breakfast bar, staring into the tea he made for himself. He was glad Dee was able to make decisions that would benefit the baby more. From the time Dee first told him about the baby, Ryo was amazed and pleased at how Dee settled into the pregnancy. Gone was the lost, helpless man Ryo held in his arms that night in December. Now if you ask Dee, it was the best thing to happen to him, next to meeting Ryo. Dee grew with the pregnancy, including emotionally. He changed over the months in a positive way, yet was still the same man Ryo fell in love with. He was happy for Dee, glad that Dee was able to get past masculine pride and choose to start taking hormones to be able to breastfeed. It should have felt weird to Ryo, but it didn't. Not after watching Dee the last few months. Not knowing the baby's best interests were first in Dee's thinking. Everything was okay with Ryo with Dee's decision. He was proud of his husband. Especially knowing when it was his time to Carry, he was not so sure he'd make the same decision for himself.
 
What did bother Ryo was suddenly he felt left out of that area of the baby's life. All through the pregnancy, Dee did his best to make Ryo part of the experience. Whenever one of them said to someone that “We're pregnant,” or “We're due in July” it was true. Dee may be the one Carrying, but they were both actively involved in the pregnancy. If they were able to accomplish that while Dee was pregnant, Ryo was certain when it came to raising the baby would be easier.
 
Suddenly he was feeling left out of one area of his baby daughter's life. He was looking forward to feeding times with her, sharing the duty with Dee. Now he would be left out, because for at least the first few months, Dee would be handling that on his own.
 
Ryo tried to shake it, but as much as he tried, it just didn't sit well with him. He found the thought upset him very much.