Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Preparing For A Trip ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
 
Chapter 7
Preparing For A Trip
 
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
12/9/05
 
Dee's eyes scanned the clusters of people gathered about along the walkways between the buildings, looking for signs of any activities that would be of interest to him and Ryo. Ryo was not far away, down another walkway, but out of Dee's sight as his partner also surveyed the area. They had just come from speaking to the housing detectives for Taft Housing, getting the all clear to look around. The local detectives had also agreed to go through their files for anything that might be of help.
 
Dee walked along the path, mindful to not slip in the slush, as if he belonged there. In a sense, he did. Places like the public housing development, otherwise known to New Yorkers simply as the projects, were common territory to Dee while growing up. He knew the type of people who lived there, how they thought. While it was Ryo who put up a minimal protest of them dividing up, it was Dee who was usually concerned when his partner was out of his sight in such places. This was not Ryo's element, and while he tried to fit in and did better at it in the years he had been Dee's partner, he still stuck out like an outsider to those who were really looking for anyone that could be a threat. Ryo still was not a street kid by nature. As Ryo had to concede to Dee before they left the car, Dee had to make the same compromise, the one he made every time Ryo went off on his own. It had to be done to cover more ground and to do their jobs. As much as his mind nagged him with worry, he had to constantly remind himself that had Ryo not been able to take care of himself, he never would have made it this far working as a detective for a precinct in a bad neighborhood such as this one.
 
He sighed inwardly, trudging along his way. Back at the precinct, Dee had exchanged the nicer winter coat he wore to his appointment for the one he kept in the office, which was older and slightly worn. He left the jacket to the suit he wore at the office with his coat. He could not do much about his pants, but at least he did not wear one of his few more expensive suits that day. Hopefully no one would take notice of Ryo's pants under his old coat. He forced his mind off Ryo, knowing that worrying about something that did not happen would not help either of them. He had a job to do.
 
So far he had not been able to come up with anything. He nodded to those who turned their attention to him as he walked by, eyes taking in everything happening as he passed. He made sure not to make direct eye contact that could be misconstrued as looking for trouble, yet not to divert his eyes indicating that he was prey. He searched faces for anything slightly familiar, or shifty. He approached the crosswalk where he should be meeting up with Ryo, knowing the day was a bust. They were not going to find anything on the drug ring Sinclair was still running from his new base in Los Angeles.
 
He leaned up against a bench, taking out his cigarettes. He had one in his mouth and started to light it, when he remembered he should not really be smoking. He closed his lighter. Rather than putting the cigarette back in the pack as he usually did, he angrily threw it down into a pile of slushy snow and stamped on it.
 
“Giving a new meaning to fighting the habit, I see,” he heard the familiar voice say from behind him, filled with amusement.
 
“Goddammit, this is freakin' hard!” Dee growled, turning to face Ryo.
 
“No one tried to say it was going to be easy,” Ryo remarked.
 
“Yeah. I was hoping the doctor could say otherwise, but….” He sighed heavily. “I take it you're done?”
 
Ryo nodded. “Quiet around here. Almost too quiet.”
 
“I know what you mean. Let's leave through the maintenance and rec offices,” Dee suggested. “It shouldn't take us too far from where we need to hopefully pick up anything that might be useful.”
 
“Good idea.” As they started walking, Ryo looked at his watch. “Gee, it'll be past four by the time we get back.”
 
“We'll do a quick check in, then head on home then,” Dee replied.
 
“How are you holding up? Today has been quite a long one.”
 
“Haven't been nauseous since this morning. But I suspect by the time we get home, I'll wanting to lay down a little.”
 
“So do that. I'll take care of dinner tonight. And make sure Bikky is quiet.”
 
Dee smiled his thanks. “I promise not to sleep the whole night away.”
 
“We'll see,” Ryo remarked.
 
They went through a narrow pathway that ran between the two lower buildings of the complex, nestled on one corner among the other buildings that spiraled upward at 15 - 20 stories each. Dee noticed a door of one of the maintenance workshops slightly askew and rust colored markings near the door knob.
 
“Hmm… Hold on, Ryo,” he stated, touching his partner's arm as he stopped.
 
Ryo stopped and watched as Dee went over to the door. “What is it?” he asked, before starting to follow Dee.
 
Dee opened the door carefully and as he took a step in the smell hit him. Putting a hand to his mouth, he staggered to lean against the doorframe.
 
Ryo reached him just in time for Dee to turn facing the outside and leaned over, starting to puke.
 
“Dee?!?” Ryo asked, then the stench hit him. Not enough to turn his stomach as violently as it had done to Dee. It was rather mild comparing to other scenes he had been to. With one hand on Dee's back to sooth him, he took out his cell phone and called dispatch.
 
Dee waved him off as he straightened up, still looking pale, but opening his coat. Ryo had his open as he entered the hallway, ready to draw his gun. Two doors down, he found the cause of the stench. He called back dispatch to report the body he stared at. After assuring that the woman strewn on a ragged couch was dead, and not requiring medical attention, his eyes quickly searched the room before stepping back into the hall. He saw Dee hovering just outside the door, but seemed unable to bring himself to go further. Ryo walked back to join his partner.
 
“Female, early 20's I'm guessing,” Ryo reported his findings to Dee. “It looks like stab wounds.”
 
“Ryo, I'm sorry.” Dee started to look angry at himself.
 
“It's all right, Dee,” Ryo assured him. “Why don't you go sit down on the bench over there? There's not much to do right now but wait.” He directed Dee toward the bench and got him to sit, while he remained standing.
 
“That's not what I was hoping to find here,” Dee said weakly.
 
Ryo's mouth was a thin line. “And possibly not even connected. Sinclair's people don't usually play with knives.”
 
“Just great. We stumble across another crime.”
 
“Which belongs to the housing detectives to handle,” Ryo pointed out. “Not us. We already have to pass on our other cases. Diana did call and tell us not to plan anything for Sunday on.”
 
“So tomorrow will be re-distributing cases, huh?” Dee asked.
 
“Looks like that. Which also means once we file our report, we can leave for the night.”
 
“We can always wish,” was Dee's glum reply.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
It was going on 8 pm by the time they entered their apartment. They had stopped for take out along the way, but Dee insisted he was not hungry. He was holding up well enough, but Ryo could see Dee still had not worked the stench of the dead woman from his system. The smell of the food when they entered their favorite Chinese restaurant around the corner from their apartment caused Dee to wait outside.
 
They entered the apartment to Bikky complaining about hunger.
 
Dee went up to the boy and lightly rapped his head with a knuckle. “And you couldn't go into the freezer and microwave something to hold you over?” he asked amused.
 
“Ow!” Bikky ducked away from Dee. “There wasn't anything I liked in there.”
 
Ryo shook his head, placing the bags on the coffee table. “Bikky, I let you pick out anything you wanted last time we went shopping so there's something for times like this. You can't tell me there's nothing you liked.”
 
“That or the rugrat ate it all up and didn't bother to tell us to replenish it. Now stop your yowling and go get some dishes and silverware. The sooner you get it, the sooner Ryo can start filling plates,” Dee said.
 
Bikky gave him a glare, but went running off into the kitchen anyway.
 
“You are going to try to eat something, aren't you, Dee?” Ryo asked as Dee dropped wearily down onto the couch.
 
“I'm not hungry,” he insisted again, as he had been all the way from the restaurant. “Save some for me for later. When I can eat and not return it.”
 
“At least have some of the won ton soup.”
 
“Look, it's finally settling down enough that I think I can sleep for a bit. Maybe after I wake up, I'll not only feel better, but will be starving. But right now, I'm heading off into the bedroom, because if I keep smelling this shit it'll get worse again.”
 
Ryo sighed. “Okay, Dee.” He watched as Dee stood up again, then pulled the dark haired man to him in a hug. He rubbed Dee's back, enjoying Dee returning the hug.
 
“Mmm… that feels nice,” Dee murmured into Ryo's neck.
 
“Tell you what. Get some rest, then after you eat, I'll give you more of this,” Ryo said, kissing the side of Dee's head.
 
“That's definitely a deal.”
 
“Oh please!” they heard Bikky moan.
 
“Oh please yourself,” Ryo replied, amused as the two men pulled apart. “You're acting like this is the first time you've seen this. Get over it already, Bikky! You told us you wanted me and Dee to be your fathers. So that's what you got. So deal with everything else.”
 
Dee smiled at Ryo, then shook his head at Bikky with a chuckle. “It's nothing more than what your other friends' parents display,” Dee stated. “We leave the hardcore stuff away from your tender virgin eyes.”
 
“Definitely not from my ears,” Bikky muttered, but then glanced up, his eyes sparkling with mischief. “But that's not your fault, Dee.”
 
“Bikky!” Ryo gasped, turning red.
 
Dee laughed. “And you keep insisting you are quiet.”
 
Ryo's eyes narrowed as they set on Dee. “I guess that means, from now on, we'll do… those things when Bikky isn't home.”
 
It was Bikky's turn to laugh at Dee's horrified look. Bikky placed the dishes, silverware and napkins down on the coffee table and started to rummage through the bags. “You know, guys, I can't help teasing you. You're both so easy to get a rise out of.” He chuckled as two sets of eyes stared at him. “Anyway, I'm one of the lucky ones, ya know. Most of my friends don't have two parents. And those who do, don't usually have two parents who do anything but fight with each other.”
 
“Ah geez,” Dee muttered. “Whatever, Bikky. Thanks. I'm going to lay down for a while.”
 
“Bikky, Bikky, Bikky,” was all Ryo said, before he pulled the boy away from the bags and started to take out their food.
 
Bikky looked back to Dee going to the bedroom, then up to Ryo. “Isn't Dee eating with us?” he asked.
 
“He needs to rest a little. We had a long day. Obviously longer than we had hoped.”
 
“Must suck to find a stiff at the end of your shift, huh?” Bikky asked, sitting down on the floor, as Ryo started to fill a plate for Bikky.
 
“Do you always have to be so crude?” Ryo asked. “But yeah. It does. I just hope Dee can eat a little later without it upsetting him.”
 
“Is he going to keep being this way until the baby comes?” Bikky asked, grabbing the plate Ryo held out.
 
Ryo shook his head. “Sometimes, I guess. More for the next couple of months, so the doctor explained to us. And he may find something that will upset his stomach that we may not notice, or even something that Dee usually loves.” He shrugged. “We'll just have to be patient and supportive, Bikky.”
 
“Yeah, I guess.” Bikky started to eat his meal, in thought.
 
Ryo joined him on the floor, and started to eat his own meal after making sure the containers with food still in them were closed.
 
Halfway through their meal, Bikky broke the comfortable silence as father and son enjoyed their dinner. “Ryo?”
 
“Yes, Bikky.” Ryo looked up at to give him his attention.
 
“When I can I tell my friends?”
 
“About?”
 
“Dee. That I'm going to have a brother or sister?”
 
“Oh. I didn't really think about that,” Ryo stated apologetically. “All we've been thinking about is when to tell our friends and co-workers. I never thought you might be wanting to share the news.”
 
“This is big,” Bikky remarked. “Remember Mark? That kid who saw you two when you and Dee started to go out?”
 
“He was the one that started to give you trouble,” Ryo remembered. “Which caused you to start trouble between me and Dee until we got things squared away.”
 
“That's him. Well, he keeps insisting that you'd never last. That two men usually don't.”
 
“That's far from the truth, Bikky. Many men have been married for years. And if that was true, they'd have never granted the adoption process naming both me and Dee as your fathers.”
 
“I know that. Almost everyone knows that, but there are still some people who don't get it. Anyway, once he finds out about the baby, that will teach him.”
 
“Maybe,” Ryo mused. “Or he could just become mean again. Like there are still people who don't condone two men loving each other, there's some who are cruel to men who can have babies.”
 
Bikky nodded his head. “Yeah. He probably is one of those. But still, unless Dee's going to stay away from the school, it's going to be obvious at some point. And then people will start adding it all together. You know, Dee and you and all.”
 
“Bikky, how many people at your school knows about us?”
 
“Not many. Just a few. Most of my teachers say that it's easy to think that because you're both so close, but they also say you have to be that close being partners at police work and all.”
 
Ryo sighed, picking at his food. “The truth is, Bikky, that Dee and I have been trying to keep things between us a secret. Mostly because of work. We didn't want to be separated because normally two people romantically involved can't be partners. In some cases, they can be sent to different precincts. We didn't want that either. But now, I guess the truth is going to come out with Dee having a baby. It'll be hard to hide.”
 
“Dee can always say he's been seeing someone and got knocked up by him,” Bikky suggested.
 
Ryo's fork clattered to his plate and his head sharply snapped up. “I don't think so,” Ryo stated firmly.
 
“Oh. Never mind.”
 
“I'm sorry, Bikky. I guess I don't like that idea. That baby is mine, Bikky and I have no intention to let anyone believe otherwise. People are just going to have to accept that we're really a family. That's all.”
 
“Can you do that, Ryo? I mean, I always thought one of the reasons you insisted on keeping things quiet is that you couldn't admit to it.”
 
Ryo sighed. He had been thinking about the very same thing ever since Dee had told him. It did not take him long to realize it was not a hard decision to make. “Yes, Bikky, I can. I'm ready.”
 
“Okay. I just don't want to see you getting hurt. Or Dee.”
 
“We'll be fine, Bikky. We'll all be fine. Anyone gives you crap about our family situation, you make sure you tell me or Dee. Okay? Don't try to settle it on your own, because I know how that would be.”
 
“It would make it worse, huh?”
 
“Yeah. It would.” Ryo sighed again. “Of course, I still didn't think this through. How about you? Are you able to handle….”
 
“I got me two dads who love each other and love me. I have a baby brother or sister along the way. I'm a pretty lucky, kid. Like I said, most of my friends don't have that much. So if they can't deal with it, fuck `em.”
 
“Bikky, language!” Ryo stared at the determined blue eyes staring at him. “But I guess that's the best way to put it, huh, bud?”
 
Bikky nodded.
 
“You're probably right, Bikky. It's about time I started saying that myself.” He grinned at his son.
 
“Oh, I forgot to tell you! The hot FBI lady called just before you got home. She tried calling your cell when you didn't pick up at the office. She also said she doesn't have Dee's new number.”
 
“Oh geez. I turned it off after I called you saying we were going to be late. And thanks for telling me now, kiddo.”
 
He got up to go over to the phone.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
As Dee stepped out of the bedroom, he was greeted by the sounds of a video game, along with Bikky and Ryo's laughter. He walked into the living room to find both on the floor before the television.
 
Bikky looked up first. “Hey, Dee. Wanna join us? You and Ryo against me, and I'll still whoop your cans.”
 
“Fat chance, bud. Because if Dee plays, I call for SWAT again,” Ryo remarked, looking amused.
 
“No!” Bikky protested and Ryo laughed.
 
Dee chuckled as Ryo looked up to him. “How are you feeling?”
 
“A little hungry,” Dee replied.
 
“I put everything in the fridge,” Ryo said. “I can always warm you up a plate.”
 
Dee held out a hand to stop Ryo from standing up. “I could get it just as easily. Finish getting your can whooped.” He smiled at the two before walking past them to the other side of the living room and into the kitchen.
 
He returned with the soup heated in a bowl, along with a plate that had some white rice and a small helping of beef with broccoli. After he set the serving tray on the coffee table, he settled down on the couch and contented himself watching Bikky and Ryo play video games.
 
When Dee pushed his plate away, the soup long gone, Ryo put down the controller. “Okay, Bikky. Time to get ready for bed.”
 
“Aw, Ryo. It's a Friday night!”
 
“Just like every other Friday night. It's eleven o'clock. Now get going.”
 
“Aw. Okay.” He stood up, but stayed still. His eyes went from Ryo to Dee.
 
“What now?” Dee asked, trying not to show his amusement.
 
“It's just… ah, it's silly,” Bikky remarked.
 
“What have I always said about that, Bikky,” Ryo reminded him gently. “If something is wrong, tell us.”
 
“You're both going away for a few days. It's the first time. I just want to spend some time before you leave. That's all. Silly.”
 
Dee shook his head. “I understand,” he said quietly. “Look Ryo and I have to go into work for a couple of hours tomorrow, but we should be back before the morning is over. So if you're up and moving by the time we get back, we'll do something together until you go over to Carol's.”
 
“Can we go to Tad's for lunch?” Bikky asked.
 
“Uh, yeah,” Dee agreed. “Now get moving, midget man.”
 
Bikky said goodnight to Dee and Ryo, then headed for his room.
 
Ryo shook his head as he put away the components for the game as Dee picked up the remote. He turned off the game and started to surf the channels on the television. “Honestly, Dee. You used to complain about me indulging him too much. Ever since we all moved in together, you've become worse.”
 
“The rugrat had a point, Ryo. We've been away for a few days before, but this is the first time since we moved in as a family. The adoption process is still new to him.”
 
Ryo sat down next to Dee. “And still a little insecure about it all. Now we're going to LA for who knows how long. You're right. Okay, we get back tomorrow, its his day. Provided you're feeling up to it.”
 
Dee leaned against Ryo, placing his arm around his lover to pull him close. “Stop worrying about me,” he murmured before nuzzling Ryo's neck.
 
Ryo took the remote from Dee's hand and placed it on the coffee table. They ended up cuddling on the couch, kissing and enjoying the touch of the other.
 
Dee pulled away and leaned back against the cushions of the couch. “So did we hear from Diana yet?”
 
“Yeah. She called just before we got home, so I called her back after Bikky and I ate. It's all set. We fly out from LaGuardia at 9 on Sunday, with a layover in Chicago.”
 
Dee grimaced. “I hate O'Hare,” he muttered.
 
Ryo chuckled. “You only went through O'Hare once, Dee.”
 
“Once was enough. Amazing how even in good weather things can get so screwed up in that airport. I wish we weren't going through there.”
 
“It'll be fine. We're there for only an hour. Basically barely enough time to get from one side of the airport to the other in time for our boarding call.”
 
Dee frowned. “That makes me feel better,” he scoffed. “Oh great! That means we'll have to be at the airport by what? 7:30?”
 
“Seven would be better.”
 
“Obnoxiously early day,” Dee muttered. “What a way to spend a day off. Did I mention lately I hate traveling?”
 
“It's a shame we won't get to do much in sight seeing while we're there,” Ryo mused.
 
“Yeah. Do we have any idea how we're getting Sinclair back if we nab him?”
 
“FBI will escort him back to New York. We'll just have to make sure we're on both ends of his travels.”
 
“Doesn't sound like fun to me,” Dee sighed. “Oh well. I know I woke up not too long ago, but if we're going to start yet another early day tomorrow, I think it's best we call it a night.”
 
Ryo nodded in agreement. “At least get comfortable in bed,” he replied.
 
Dee looked at him, then started to smile. “Oh, is that so? Well, let me take a shower.” He leaned over to kiss Ryo again. “I'll see you in bed.” He stood up and headed for the bedroom.
 
Ryo took Dee's dinner dishes into the kitchen to wash them and put them away, before he checked to make sure Bikky was in bed. Dee was out of the shower by then and Ryo took a quick shower. Dee was sitting up, reading a magazine when he entered the bedroom.
 
Dee's eyes went up as Ryo settled in the bed, placing something on the end table.
 
“What do we have here?” Dee asked, interested, putting the magazine aside and reaching to kiss Ryo.
 
“I did promise you a massage earlier. Still interested.”
 
Dee smiled warmly as he pulled Ryo close for a kiss. “You bet.”
 
The night seemed to be going so well. The massage Ryo gave Dee was sensual and he felt Dee responding to it. When Dee was on his stomach, face in the pillow, Ryo realized the moaning had stopped. Ryo checked and saw that Dee had fallen asleep.
 
With a sigh, sat up against the headboard of the bed and studied Dee. He had to admit he was hoping that they would be able to do more than just kiss and snuggle. For the last week, that was all they had been doing. On the nights that Dee was feeling better, that was. There were a few nights when his lover felt too bad to do even that.
 
Ryo continued to watch Dee, noting how peaceful and content Dee seemed in his sleep and could not help smiling. He reached out and gently ran his hand through the other's dark, thick hair. So thick, yet so soft and silky, he mused. It was only one of the many things he found he loved about Dee. Sometimes it seemed he could not stop running his fingers through Dee's hair. His mind flashed to his fingers tangled in Dee's hair, while sitting on the couch, with Dee on his knees on the floor and….
 
Ryo forced that thought from his head. Many times, when Bikky was not home, that was a common occurrence. That or Ryo returning the pleasure. He groaned. He did not need to be thinking things like that at the moment. Not when he had to admit to himself that for him it had been too long and he was horny. From the way Dee had been kissing him all night, he knew Dee was too. Unfortunately, Dee's body needs overrode that.
 
Ryo remembered why. Dee's body was going through changes so it could carry the child growing within him. Their child. Ryo shook his head, still unable to believe it was happening, yet filled with so much love and joy.
 
Knowing he was not going to get to sleep anytime soon, and not wanting to wake Dee up, he covered his lover, planting a soft kiss on his forehead, then left the bedroom.
 
Ryo decided to take another shower.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###