Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Arriving in L.A. ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
Chapter 10
Arriving In L.A.
 
 
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
 
Diana Spacey looked across the table at her dining companion. Once again, Ryo checked his watch.
 
“Ryo,” she said fondly. “Another fifteen minutes and we'll start walking to the gate. Now finish up your gourmet hot dog. When Dee gets in, if he's up to it, I'll take you to some finer Los Angeles dining.”
 
“Like In & Out burgers?” Ryo asked, having traveled to Los Angeles before as a child with his parents. He could hardly remember much, except for having a fondness for the local hamburger chain.
 
Diana laughed. “If that's the choice, sure. I think Dee would love the Double Double's. But that's for lunch tomorrow. I was thinking more like Jerry's in West Hollywood.”
 
“I heard about that place,” Ryo said. “So did Dee. He'd enjoy that, too.”
 
Diana frowned a little, resting her elbows on the table. She rested her chin in her hands. “And what would you enjoy, Ryo?”
 
“To have Dee in my arms,” Ryo replied automatically. “Once I have that, I don't care where we eat.”
 
Diana sighed. “You've been anxious since you stepped off the plane.”
 
“I've been anxious since I stepped on the plane and left Dee in Chicago,” Ryo admitted, looking down, toying with his half-eaten hot dog.
 
“You're killing me, Ryo. Surely you can be away from Dee for more than a few hours.”
 
“I can. But you know, Diana, this is the first time I've been in a different city than Dee since we got together. Even longer. Ever since we became partners, we always traveled together. We took vacations at the same time. It's just difficult. Especially after seeing how sick he was.”
 
“So what's going on? You and Dee keep insisting it's nothing. But nothing doesn't have `spells' here and there. And today? What happened with Dee?”
 
“Air sickness. He was fine until we took off. He never did like to fly. Today it really hit him hard. He knew it was going to happen again flying from Chicago and he was scared, Diana. I mean really afraid. You know how Dee is, but he couldn't hide it completely.”
 
Diana leaned back in her seat. “I would hope the two of you are close enough that he doesn't have to hide it from you.”
 
Ryo grinned sheepishly. “He would if he thought by showing me, I wouldn't get on my flight. But I knew enough. He was able to talk me into getting on the plane. I just hope it wasn't too much harder for him to talk himself into getting on his.”
 
“He'll be here soon enough, Ryo. Speaking of, finish your dinner so that we can head over to the gate to meet him.”
 
Diana laughed as Ryo gulped down his hot dog, and washed it down with his Coke before standing up. “You're still sitting?” he asked her.
 
“I guess I shouldn't be.” She stood up and put her arm around Ryo's as they walked to the gate where Dee's flight was to arrive, still catching up on things since their last long phone call a month ago. Ryo was careful to leave some things out until Dee was there. Maybe over dinner at Jerry's they'd tell her, assuming Dee was in any condition to do more than get to the hotel and curl up in bed. He would have to eat a little something, even rabbit food, Ryo decided.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
Diana closed her cell phone. “He's not answering, Ryo.”
 
Ryo frowned, still staring at the flight schedule. “Why in the hell didn't he call you when he knew his flight was canceled?” Ryo glared at the schedule.
 
“I don't know. You'd think he'd have sense enough.”
 
“Well, I'm going to see if I can figure out when he's getting here.” Ryo turned and headed for the counter.
 
Diana rushed to keep up with Ryo. Ryo pushed his way through the crowd and grabbed one of the airline representatives. “Flight 356. Why was it canceled? I thought it had taken off on time?”
 
“Flight 356?” the woman asked.
 
“Oh!” another rep replied. “That's the flight that had to turn back. Hydraulics or something. They took a hard landing coming back into Chicago.”
 
“WHAT?!?”
 
The blood drained from Ryo's face. Diana placed a hand on his back to support him. Then the color started to come back, quickly. He grabbed the second rep. “Explain hard landing?” Even with the hard edge, his voice still quivered.
 
“The nose landing gear didn't lock upon touch down. From what I understand it was a bumpy final approach. The plane skidded down the runway, but rescue crews were already on the scene. No serious injuries or deaths, and all passengers are being placed on other flights,” she explained.
 
Ryo spun on Diana. “Something is wrong!” he exclaimed frantically. “That's why Dee's not answering.” He looked back at the CSRs. “Are you certain about the injuries?”
 
“Nothing major, but I would guess there was some bruising. A medical team was sent on the scene to examine all passengers.”
 
“Bruising?” Ryo's mind spun, thinking of what the landing was like. If Dee was banged around hard enough…. He refused to think about the possibility, yet it would not leave his mind completely. “I need to get in touch with Dee!”
 
“Ryo,” Diana tried to calm him. “Maybe his cell got messed up during the landing.”
 
Ryo turned and gave Diana a glare that caused chills to run down her spine. “What, Ryo?”
 
“If Dee's phone got banged up enough to get damaged, then what condition would that put Dee in? He's… he shouldn't… Diana, getting tossed around could be dangerous to Dee!”
 
“The mystery disease?”
 
“Yes!” He grabbed Diana by the shoulders. “Diana, we need to find out somehow.” He turned back to the counter. The two reps flinched. “I want the number to O'Hare.”
 
“Our main number?”
 
“All your fuckin' numbers! And the number to airport security and any other number you can think of in finding someone from flight 356! Now!”
 
“Ryo, sit down and catch your breath. You're going to hyperventilate on me.”
 
“I can't sit down! I need to find out how Dee is!”
 
“Here's your numbers, sir,” said a third representative, who appeared to be a manager. “If you would like, you can use this phone right over here.”
 
“At least someone is showing some sense. Thank you.” Ryo took the offered list of numbers and went over to the phone. He looked over at Diana. “Keep trying Dee's cell.”
 
It was five minutes later and two tries at contacting Dee, when Diana looked up at the alarming rise to Ryo's voice. “What do you mean you can't page someone? I am trying to locate someone from flight 356. Don't you have a hotline or something?”
 
“Mr. MacLean,” the manager called out to Ryo. He had a phone receiver in his hand. “I have the crew from flight 356 on the line. They assure no one suffered any serious injuries. Mr. Laytner was checked out by a doctor and released to await word on his next flight. They tried paging him in the nearby area, but he's not around or not answering.”
 
“He could be in the bathroom,” Ryo muttered. “Heaving his guts up. Can you please have someone check the restrooms? Have them page the entire freakin' airport! If Dee's okay, he has to answer. Right?”
 
“Mr. MacLean, we'll do the best we can in finding your friend.”
 
“Partner,” Ryo corrected. “Significant other.”
 
Glances were exchanged. Understanding shone in their eyes. “I see, Mr. MacLean. Family then. We'll do what we can. Why don't you please sit down? Can someone get you some refreshments? Something cold to drink?”
 
Diana stepped over to grab Ryo's arm. “Some water, really cold, would be great. Come along Ryo and sit down. They have things under control here. And you have quite enough of them working for you than taking care of other customers.”
 
“Those other customers aren't missing his better half!”
 
“Ryo, you and Dee didn't make it legal without telling me, did you?”
 
Ryo shook his head. “Not yet. But soon.” He managed a devilish grin as Diana sat him down. “Promise not to say anything to Dee?”
 
“I swear. Tell me!” she insisted excited.
 
“I'm going to ask Dee to marry me this Christmas. I think he has been thinking about it for a while, but afraid I wasn't ready for that much yet. But I am. And the only way to let him know is to propose to him.”
 
“OHMIGOD!” Diana squealed. “He's going to say yes, of course.”
 
“If he doesn't, I'll be checking to make sure whoever I'm asking is not an imposter.”
 
“Of course he'll say yes. Don't forget to send me an invitation. I don't care what I'm doing, I'll be there!”
 
Ryo managed to laugh. “I don't even know when that will be. I'm going to leave it up to Dee to decide.”
 
Diana studied Ryo. “Something's different.”
 
“What?”
 
“I don't know. I mean, somehow… don't get me wrong, Ryo. You're both equally strong willed men, but there was always a tip in Dee's favor in him being the more… um….”
 
“Dominant?” Ryo asked.
 
She nodded her head. “Yeah.”
 
“Only because I allowed it.” Ryo winked at her.
 
“Mr. MacLean, I have Mr. Laytner on the line,” the manager called out.
 
Ryo jumped from his seat and rushed over to grab the offered phone. “Dee! Baby, are you all right? Is everything….”
 
“Ryo,” he heard Dee's voice say. “I'm fine. At least the docs say I'm fine.”
 
“Did you ask about….?”
 
“Yes. We're both fine. I'm sorry, Ryo.”
 
“Dee, baby. Don't….”
 
“I'm not crying, Ryo.”
 
“Cut the bull, Dee.”
 
“What can you do anyway? You're in LA and I'm fuckin' stuck in fuckin' Chicago and probably will be for the rest of my fuckin' life!” Dee started to sob.
 
“Dee, why didn't you call me?” Ryo demanded.
 
“I… I lost my cell phone. I realized it when I got on the plane and went to take it out to turn it off.”
 
“You lost your cell phone. Couldn't you use a public phone?”
 
“I could have, but first I had to wait around to get checked up. Then once given the okay, I…. I'm sorry, Ryo. I had to go outside for a while. Then I couldn't find a pay phone that was working or not being used. Once I found one… ah, shit Ryo! I couldn't remember your number. I still can't. My head. It's hurting so much. They gave me painkillers.”
 
“What! What type of painkillers?”
 
“Relax, baby. Tylenol. I told them, remember.”
 
“Should I call Vince? Do you want his number?”
 
“Uh, I don't think I need to, but yeah. Better to be safe, huh?”
 
“Yeah. Better to be safe. But yeah, Tylenol doesn't help much sometimes. Did you get a flight yet?”
 
“No. There were some others that really needed to get a flight before me, so I let them go.”
 
“Dee, I hope you're not avoiding getting on a plane. Because don't make me fly back to Chicago to drag your cute ass out here.”
 
“I'm not too thrilled about it, I'll admit. But right now, I'm just waiting for a flight to have a seat open. I don't mind. The worse part is that I'm really tired right now, and if I can't get out of here by tomorrow, I really would like to have a hotel with a bed.”
 
“Aw baby. Hang in there. We'll get you out of there soon. And you can crawl into bed and my arms. Okay, love?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Okay. Now do you have a pen? Paper? Write down all of these numbers and don't lose them. Ask if you can get a call where you are.”
 
“Okay. Hang on.”
 
Ryo gave Dee all the phone numbers he needed, and wrote down the number where he could reach Dee. “Okay. Diana and I are going to see if we can find a flight out from this end, even if it's on another airline. So don't stay away from there too long? Okay? But if you get hungry or need to use the bathroom, go ahead. Then remember to check in with the counter there. Promise?”
 
“Yeah. I promise. I miss you, Ryo. I just want this to be over already. Totally over, as in back in New York and never having to fly again.”
 
“You're going to do what you have to, remember? That's what you told me.”
 
“I know,” Dee sighed.
 
“You all right now?”
 
“A little. I'll be completely all right when you're holding me.”
 
“So will I, love. I'll talk to you soon.”
 
“The airline also hooked me up with drinks and stuff to have with me. They've been really great. I should go now. Love you.”
 
“I love you too, Dee.”
 
Ryo hung up the phone, then leaned against the counter, placing his hands to the side of his head. “Thank you,” he whispered.
 
“I take it everything is okay with Mr. Laytner?” the manager asked gently.
 
“Yeah. He's still a bit shaken from the landing and some other things, but he's enough okay that I know he'll be all right,” Ryo replied. He stood up straight. “Once I have him here with me, that is.”
 
“He'll be here, Mr. MacLean,” the manager stated. “He's okay and able to travel. That's the important thing.”
 
“I know you're right, but I just feel so… empty. I'm sorry.” Ryo lifted his head. “About everything. It's just that….”
 
“You love him,” one of the female CSRs stated. “Mr. Laytner is one lucky guy.”
 
Ryo smiled gently at her. “No. I'm the lucky guy. Dee's pretty incredible. They don't come better than him.”
 
He heard a snort from beside him. “That's up for debate,” Diana said, placing an arm around his back. “But love is blind, so I'll forgive you.”
 
Ryo turned his head to stare at her. She gave him a teasing smile and a wink. “Actually you're both very lucky.” She hugged Ryo.
 
“Mr. MacLean, rest assured your partner has been placed on the top of the list. I just had it confirmed,” the male CSR announced. “And Mr. Laytner has been informed of the status change.”
 
“Thank you again,” Ryo sighed.
 
“Come, Ryo. Sit down. Unfortunately all we can do is wait. Don't make this harder for yourself than it is.” She rubbed his back reassuringly. “Besides, I get the feeling Dee is going to need you when he gets here. You'll never forgive yourself if you passed out on him.”
 
“No. I wouldn't. Okay.” He sighed. “Why don't we leave these fine people to their jobs and take a walk?” He looked back to the manager. “We'll be back in a half hour or so.”
 
“We can always call you if we hear something while you're gone.”
 
“That would be much appreciated. Thank you so much.”
 
As Ryo and Diana left the waiting area for the gate, the manager watched them. A gleam appeared in his eye. Once they were out of sight, he picked up the phone again.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
Ryo looked over the table at Diana as he set his glass down. They were settled in a lounge. He had no intention of getting drunk, but slowly sipping the wine helped soothe his frazzled nerves. After reassuring Ryo again once they ordered their drinks that everything would be fine, the two friends slipped into comfortable silence. It did not stop Diana from giving Ryo a stare every once in a while. Ryo could tell that she was still curious to know what was wrong with Dee. He was tempted to finally tell her, but he found that he could not. He wanted Dee to be there, possibly even be the one to tell her. It was really Dee's news to tell.
 
She glanced up at him again.
 
Ryo chuckled. “The sooner Dee gets here the sooner we can explain everything that's going on with us.”
 
Diana pouted, attempting to frown. “You drive a hard bargain, MacLean.”
 
“Yeah, I do. Deal with it.”
 
“Deal with it? My, you have been picking up your worst half's attitude.”
 
Ryo laughed. “If you believe that, then you never did really know me,” he replied teasingly.
 
Diana continued to stare as Ryo took another sip of his wine. “That's it,” she muttered.
 
“Excuse me?”
 
“What's different. You two finally switched, didn't you?”
 
“Switched?” Ryo asked, puzzled, then started to blush as he realized what she meant. “Ah… that's not really your business, Diana.”
 
“If I didn't make these things my business, you two never would have gotten together when you had.”
 
“Shut up, Diana,” Ryo muttered, becoming fascinated with the scratched table top. “Besides, what makes you think we… well, you know.”
 
“I don't know. Attitude, maybe. Aura. The reason why Dee always seemed more dominant even if you both are pretty much equals. It makes sense now. Why I get this feeling of different about the two of you. The way you both sounded when you were speaking to me on the phone the other day. How you just spoke to Dee back there.” She flicked her hand in Ryo's direction. “Your general attitude. Dominant. The aura, or whatever is on you now.”
 
Ryo blushed more, and picked up his wine glass. Carefully he took a drink. “To be honest, Diana,” he said as he put the glass down again, but still held it, not looking up at her, “we've only done it that way twice.”
 
“Twice?!?” she sputtered. “What? You have got to be kidding? What's wrong with you two? “I just figured the scale tipped more in your favor lately. But not that.”
 
“Shh. I really don't feel like sharing my sex life with everyone in this bar, if you don't mind, Diana.”
 
“Oh sorry. But you both have this habit of doing things like that to me. Really, it can't be healthy. I mean, like I keep saying, you're both equals. Even I can't see Dee as being satisfied just one way. Not the way he feels about you.”
 
“Whatever Dee might have been feeling, we never really talked much about it. Until it happened.”
 
“You both are strange,” Diana remarked. “But it worked, that's obvious. However, I still believe what I said. There's going to be a third time, yes?”
 
“Diana,” Ryo sighed. “Why do you always do this?”
 
“Because you're cute when you're uncomfortable. And lately you've been getting a little too cocky for your own good. Got to bring you back to where you started once in a while to keep your feet on the ground.”
 
Ryo finally lifted his eyes and gave her a mild glare, shaking his head. “I don't know what it is about you. Dee's right sometimes. You are annoying. And yet I keep you around as a friend. I don't know why.”
 
“Because your loverboy is the most obnoxious being on this planet, and you still keep him around. After dealing with Dee, everything else is easy.”
 
“That's debatable,” Ryo remarked. “Dee's not that obnoxious. Once you get to know him and not get on his wrong side.” He studied her for a few more seconds. “Sounds familiar if you ask me,” he said, his dark eyes still on her.
 
“Oh really? Well, I could say the same!”
 
Ryo leaned back in his seat and laughed. “And why it seems the three of us share things with each other that we don't with others. On that note, yes, there will be a third. Maybe even a fourth.” He winked at her, even if there was a hint of a blush.
 
“Well, you still blush. That's a good sign,” she sighed sarcastically.
 
“Dee complains that I don't blush enough lately.”
 
“He would,” she replied.
 
Ryo opened his mouth for a comeback when his cell phone started to ring. He took it out immediately. “Hello?”
 
“Babe?” he heard Dee's voice in an odd mixture of relief and anxiety.
 
“What's wrong, love?” Ryo asked, sitting forward in his seat.
 
“Nothing. They're letting me call you before they take me to my gate. There's a flight that's already boarding and they got me a seat on it. It'll be departing in about a half hour. They told me it'll be a three hour flight. Faster plane and all that.”
 
“God Dee, that's wonderful news. Listen, I think I know what you're feeling. So with each step you take through the gate onto the plane, just remember it's another step closer to me. Baby, I swear when you get here, I'm going to make it all worth the trouble. I swear it, Dee.”
 
“I don't doubt you,” Dee replied. Ryo could tell that Dee was smiling. “Ask the reps at the gate you were hanging out and they'll give you all the flight information. I love you, Ryo. I'll see you soon.”
 
“You don't know how good it will be to see you. Love you, Dee. And remember….”
 
“I'm going to just keep thinking of you and how good I'll feel when I'm in your arms. Gotta go now, Ryo. They're holding things up for me to get there.”
 
“Go then.”
 
“Okay. Later.” He heard Dee hang up the phone, which disconnected his call.
 
Ryo let out a heavy sigh of relief. He put his phone away and lifted his glass in Diana's direction. “A toast. Dee's getting on a flight right now.” He started to grin like a fool.
 
“That's wonderful, Ryo!”
 
“I need to get back to the gate. Dee says they have the flight info on his arrival there. Three and a half hours. And he'll be here.”
 
Diana merely laughed and finished her wine. “Drink up then. You know how fast three hours can go.”
 
Ryo shook his head, but finished his wine. He stood up at the same time as Diana. “Shall we?” he asked.
 
“Definitely.”
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
Dee's flight was to arrive three gates down from where Ryo had set up his base of operations. The manager gave him the flight number and the arrival time. Diana convinced Ryo it would be a good idea to leave the airport for the time and get checked into the hotel. He could have his luggage in the room already. It would be almost midnight by the time Dee would arrive in Los Angeles. Ryo saw her reasoning. He could just whisk Dee up to the room, having to handle only his partner's luggage and get him comfortable. He agreed quickly and allowed Diana to lead him from the terminal to her car.
 
Diana did not tell Ryo that it would kill most of the wait time, instead of Ryo sitting around at the airport, staring at the minutes crawl by. The hotel Ryo and Dee were staying in was in downtown LA. Three hours and fifteen minutes later, and no phone calls from Dee or any of the airline agents who designated themselves contacts until Dee arrived in Los Angeles, Diana found herself being dragged through the parking lot. They were given special passes that allowed them to go back to the gates, rather than waiting for Dee down in arrivals by the baggage pick-up.
 
Diana could not help but laugh at the serious anxiety and childlike enthusiasm Ryo displayed as they rushed through the airport terminal. When the security line moved somewhat slower than Ryo would have preferred, she had to stop him from taking out his badge in hopes of it speeding their way through the check point. They arrived at the gate in time to see the plane being pulled toward the gate.
 
“Ryo, it's only been about eight hours,” Diana laughed as Ryo stood by the window, verbally urging the plane to finally pull up to the gate and allow passengers to depart. “Not eight months.”
 
“Oh hell no! There had better not be any eight month separations!” Ryo groaned. There was a glint in his eyes as he said it. He still stared out the window, but she noticed it reflected in the window.
 
Diana put a hand to her mouth in thought.
 
As the plane finally docked alongside the boarding gate and shut down engines, the manager from the other gate joined them. “Mr. MacLean, I just had to see with my own eyes that you and your partner are together.”
 
Ryo surprised everyone, including himself when he suddenly turned and pulled the manager into a tight, friendly hug. “Thank you! Thank you!” he remarked. “For putting up with me and not having me arrested. For caring about Dee. For everything. Thank you!”
 
The manager looked embarrassed for a moment, then hugged Ryo back. “It was my pleasure. I've seen love before, but what you both have is something really special.” He leaned closer to whisper in Ryo's ear. “Oh and congratulations. Dee told me your great news. Which helped me get someone bumped from this flight so he could be on it.”
 
Ryo pulled away from the manager with a surprised gasp, tears forming in his eyes. “I owe you dinner, or something,” Ryo remarked, releasing the manager.
 
He turned in time to notice activity by the boarding gate. He took a few anxious steps before Diana and the manager so he could see through the gate. Diana had to grab him to keep him from rushing through the gate when he caught sight of the first two passengers to depart from the plane.
 
Dee looked haggard and somewhat pale as he slowly walked through the gate. He was holding the hand of a young girl, about six years old, talking to the child, who gazed up at him with adoring wide eyes, nodding her head gleefully. They both laughed. They reached the end of the gate, where an anxious looking woman went to the little girl. Diana released her hold on Ryo. The chestnut haired detective charged at full throttle toward Dee, wrapping his arms around his partner and laying a big, loving kiss on Dee. Dee's arms tightened around Ryo and happily returned the kiss. They remained in each other's arms, foreheads resting together as they talked softly, obviously repeating words of love.
 
Diana stared at Dee, her mouth dropping. She started to have suspicions as they watched the flight come in. She was right about Ryo being different, about the balance tipping in another direction between the two. What she did not realize was the reason behind it. It was obvious as Ryo held Dee like a treasured gift, kissing the few tears that managed to leak from Dee's eyes. The way Ryo's hand gently caressed Dee's abdomen. Suddenly she knew without a doubt what the mystery illness was. It was no illness at all. From the knowing way the manager smiled at the two reunited lovers, Diana knew what the manager had whispered to Ryo.
 
“A beautiful couple, aren't they?” the manager remarked, beaming at the two. “Both are so incredibly handsome and they love each other so much.”
 
“Yes, they do,” Diana agreed.
 
When Ryo finally pulled away from Dee enough for Diana to approach them, yet still maintain an arm around Dee's waist, Diana launched herself at Dee with a shriek. “Omigod! Dee! I don't believe it!” she squealed happily, hugging Dee.
 
Dee laughed as he hugged her back. “I don't either, but damn it's great to finally get here.”
 
“Well, there's that. But I meant…” She pulled away from Dee enough to rest her hand on his abdomen. “How far along are you, Dee?”
 
Dee's eyes went wide, and Ryo let out a gasp. The two men looked at each other, sharing a grin. Dee shrugged. “She was always too sharp for our own good,” he said to Ryo ruefully.
 
Ryo shook his head fondly. “I guess I should be surprised she took this long. Go ahead, Dee.”
 
Dee's smile was brilliant. Diana noticed despite his exhaustion and apparently still feeling ill, there was a glow about him. “Five weeks.”
 
“Which is why you freaked out when I mentioned the bouncing around,” Diana accused Ryo.
 
“Yeah. I almost blurted it out right then.”
 
“I'm fine,” Dee assured Ryo. “I told the doctors and was assured we're both fine. I did call Vince and spoke to him. He gave me the number of one of his associates here in Los Angeles, if I feel I need a more complete exam.”
 
“You're getting one, Dee,” Ryo stated.
 
Dee laughed, falling into Ryo's embrace again. “I knew you'd say that. I have an appointment for late tomorrow afternoon, if it's all right with Diana.”
 
“Of course you will. I might keep Ryo if needed.”
 
“Deal,” Dee smiled. He pulled away from Ryo again and turned to face the girl and the adult with her. He walked over, offering his hand. “You must be Abigail's aunt.”
 
“And you're Dee. I want to thank you for looking out for Abby on the flight. Her daddies will be happy to have her with them,” the aunt replied.
 
Dee got down on one knee before Abigail. “Now remember everything I told you, sweetheart. Be brave. I know your daddy will be just fine, honey. Just don't give up.”
 
She nodded and reached out to hug Dee. “I don't want to say goodbye, Dee.”
 
“I'll keep in touch with you,” he assured the child as he hugged her. “Now you be a good girl like you were with me, and go with your aunt. She'll want you to get some sleep first before you go see your daddy. Okay?”
 
“Okay, Dee.” She hugged him again. “I love you.”
 
“Aw sweetheart, I love you too. Now be a good girl for your daddies. And I'll be in touch.”
 
“Later, Dee,” the tyke said as her aunt took her hand when Dee stood up again.
 
“Thank you again, Dee,” the woman said, then walked away with the child.
 
Dee watched and waved when the girl looked back until they were out of sight.
 
The manager came up to Dee. “I'm glad to finally meet you, Mr. Laytner. I'm Marc. Marc Rosenburg.”
 
“Ah, you're the one Ryo and I have to thank for getting my flight.”
 
“Dee, what happened?” Ryo asked, curious.
 
Marc winked at Dee. “I should be getting back to work. But I just had to see this through to conclusion. Enjoy your stay in Los Angeles. Oh, and I'll be in touch with you again, Mr. MacLean. You both have a couple of free round trip flights.” He looked at Dee. “Assuming you ever feel like flying with us again.”
 
Dee laughed as he hugged Ryo. “You gave me hope in your airline, Marc. Once again, thank you.”
 
They shook hands with the manager. As he walked away, Diana started to direct them to also leave the waiting area. “Did they get your luggage on the flight?”
 
Dee nodded. “Yeah,” he replied as they walked slowly. “It's here.”
 
“What did they do to get you on the flight?” Ryo asked. “And who's the cute little kid?”
 
“That's Abby. They put her next to me after I agreed to watch her for the flight. She has two fathers, you know. They were out here for a short vacation, staying with one of the guy's sister - that woman waiting for Abby. Anyway, they were in an accident. One of her dads was touch and go for a while. They should have been back in Chicago a week ago, but both are still in the hospital recovering. One of them had surgery. They'll both be fine, but the more serious one might have limited use of his lower body. Abby wanted to be with her daddies, and her daddies wanted Abby with them. But she had no one to fly with her.”
 
“So you volunteered to fly with her,” Ryo guessed. “Is that how you got a seat on the flight?”
 
“Well, there's more. Marc over there, called me up not very long after I spoke to you. He asked all types of questions and got me to admit being pregnant. I think he fibbed a little about my condition, something about needing special care with a specialist out here in LA or something, and needing to be here as soon as possible,” Dee explained. “So they bumped someone from the flight so I could get on.”
 
Ryo frowned. “Don't get me wrong, Dee. I mean now that the panic is over and all, I'm not sure if I feel right about using deceit to get you on a flight sooner.”
 
Dee laughed. “What if I told you that the person who got bumped was the homophobe you stood up to?”
 
Ryo gave Dee a double take. His smile was wicked. “I'd say the bastard got what he deserved then. I sure hope you gave him the finger as you boarded what was to be his flight.”
 
“Oh, I said goodbye to him all right,” Dee assured Ryo.
 
“Dee,” Diana broke in. “Why don't you and Ryo go for your luggage and I'll go get the car. You look like you're ready to drop on your feet any minute.”
 
“Yeah,” Dee admitted. “I feel like it too. But I'm too excited being held by this handsome man of mine to notice it yet.”
 
“Baby, I'll hold you all night,” Ryo assured with a loving smile.
 
“Don't do anything too risqué while I'm gone,” Diana teased. “I'll meet you two right outside the doors by the baggage carousels. We'll go through a drive-thru or something, because you still need a real meal, Dee.”
 
Dee sighed. “If I have to eat airport and airline food again, that will make me barf.”
 
“Come on, baby,” Ryo said, laughing at Dee's comment. “Hopefully it won't take us too long to get your suitcase.”
 
“See you both in a little bit,” Diana greeted, as she headed for the door to get to the parking lot.
 
Ryo stopped them. “Dee, hold up.”
 
“What?” Dee asked.
 
“I can't resist,” Ryo grinned and pulled Dee into his arms for another sweet, loving kiss. When he pulled away, he said, “There's more when we get back to the room. I'm going to hold you and kiss you until you fall asleep.”
 
“Really?” Dee asked. “Then I'm going to fall asleep a very happy man.”
 
“Welcome to Los Angeles, Dee,” Ryo laughed, guiding them once again in the direction to the baggage pick up.
 
 
A/N: I admit to being lazy not writing up Dee's side in Chicago. But other than poor Dee having gone through enough from what was explained, I feared that would take another 2 or 3 chapters. So I stuck to letting Dee's adventures being told from Ryo's side. At least Dee finally arrived in L.A., happy to be with Ryo, healthy and no harm to the baby.
 
And once again - thank you, thank you, thank you! for the lovely reviews. I hope this fic continues to be enjoyable for you all.
 
Special thanks to my beta reader: Lady Dragonphire. Even if mpreg is not her thing, she most graciously accepted doing the beta.