Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ LA Blues ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: The Unexpected I
Chapter 12
LA Blues
Rating: R
Fandom: FAKE
Pairings: Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
Disclaimer: FAKE is not mine. We have Sanami Matoh for giving us Dee, Ryo and the rest of the 27th precinct characters. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
Hurray for my beta - Lady Dragonphire!
 
##### ##### ##### ##### ##### ##### ##### #####
 
December 13, 2005
 
Late afternoon on Tuesday, Dee and Ryo found themselves walking down a street toward a residential hotel. Ryo had to admit, while they were not close to snaring Sinclair, Dee's suggestion of finding their own leads was producing better results.
 
They had spent the morning compiling a list. They checked in with the two LA detectives, pretending to follow their leads. Dee's questions were careful and they walked away with more leads to follow up. By late morning, Dee was ready for an early lunch, having had very little for breakfast and snacks. If not for the melba toast Diana once again provided for him, and the crackers, he would have eaten nothing up to that point.
 
They had also come in late that morning because Dee had found himself in the bathroom at 3 am, with Ryo waking up shortly after and offering support any way he could. They did not get back to sleep until almost five. Ryo already had left a message for Diana that unless she called them, they were going to be late, and the reason why.
 
Dee had been feeling much better by the time they had left for lunch. Currently he walked next to Ryo, an unlit cigarette hanging in his mouth.
 
Ryo sighed. Dee looked at him. “What's wrong with you?” he asked.
 
Ryo's eyes rested on the cigarette and shook his head. “Nothing.”
 
“It makes me feel better, okay,” Dee snapped. “Besides, in case you haven't noticed, I haven't lit one all day.”
 
“What about when you weren't in my sight? Did you take advantage of it?” Ryo asked.
 
Dee shook his head. “No. Not one all damn day. And I'm going to go apeshit soon.”
 
“Why tempt yourself then?” Ryo asked. “Do you realize how close you are to actually quitting right now?”
 
Dee shrugged. He had been asking himself the same question all day, attempting to talk himself into tossing the pack of cigarettes into the garbage. He had been carrying the same pack with him for four days, and he still had more than half a pack left. “I just feel better doing it,” he replied, his voice lower.
 
A half block later, in which the two men discussed the differences between LA and New York, Dee let out a muttered curse. “Why is it that everywhere we have to go around this friggin' city is street parking? Where the hell are all those great alley parking lots?” Dee asked as they walked to the entrance of the hotel.
 
“Relax,” Ryo said with a chuckle. “At least the place we ate on Santa Monica had a parking lot. Besides, Vince says walking is good for you.”
 
“Whatever,” Dee muttered. “Maybe when I'm actually feeling up to it.”
 
Ryo stopped them and moved to the side of the sidewalk. Thankfully the street was not as crowded as the streets in Manhattan at that time, but habit, along with common courtesy, made Ryo move them. “You're not feeling sick again, are you?” he asked Dee. “I thought you were feeling better before lunch.”
 
Dee nodded. “I was. I am. Just these twinges that hit me as we walk. I was fine in the car. I'm fine now.”
 
“Is this normal?” Ryo asked, concerned.
 
“Yeah. Unfortunately. From what Vince told me and what I read, there's something out here that isn't agreeing with me. And that causes the twinges.”
 
Ryo frowned. “Twinges? As in come and go?”
 
“Yeah. Something that we pass here and that while we're walking is trying to kick my butt. But I'm fine. And yes, I'm up to talking with our contact. And stop looking at me like that. I shouldn't have said anything.”
 
“Don't say that, Dee,” Ryo warned.
 
“Let me rephrase that then. I won't say anything if there's nothing for concern. Once I feel that it's going to be a problem, you'll know. Okay?”
 
Ryo sighed. “I guess that's fair enough. I'm sorry, Dee. I know you can take care of yourself. I'm just….”
 
Dee reached out to pull Ryo into a quick hug. He gave Ryo a brief kiss, then smiled at him. “Don't apologize for loving me, Ryo,” he softly remarked, before pulling away. “Now shall we continue on? From the way Lechmere sounded on the phone, it's best we don't keep him waiting. And it's our last stop before we head back to the precinct - er, station.”
 
Ryo nodded, chuckling at Dee's correction. The day before and all that morning, while at the Central Area police station, they had been corrected numerous times and teased by the other detectives they encountered about their habit of calling police stations precincts.
 
Ryo opened the door and held it for Dee. “And to see if our hosts have heard about our day yet,” he added.
 
They entered the hotel lobby. Dee's nose twitched. There was no one at the front desk, the clerk on duty already having gone home for the day. Which was fine. They knew where they were going.
 
They rode up the creaky elevator which did Dee's nerves no favor. He moved closer to Ryo, not quite touching, but enough as if he needed Ryo's presence for reassurance. Ryo smiled gently at him in assurance, but had to admit that the elevator shook, rattled and squeaked enough to concern him a little. Off the elevator, with Dee muttering about taking the stairs down, they went down the hallway. Halfway down, they encountered a couple of women standing outside one of the open doors. One of the women was smoking. They politely nodded as they passed, aware of the women's eyes sizing them up.
 
The uneasiness from the elevator built up to the first warning signs of an impending nausea attack for Dee. Not bad yet. Dee determined that he was able to ignore it as they came to stop before the door with the number they wanted.
 
Ryo knocked. “Mr. Lechmere?” he called out when no one answered. “It's Randy MacLean.” His eyes shifted to see Dee, who was standing off to his side, opening his suit jacket, his left hand ready to draw his gun if necessary.
 
The door opened a little, held from opening all the way by a chain. Someone peered out. “Mr. MacLean?” the man asked.
 
“Yes. And this is Dee Laytner. Can we come in?”
 
The door slammed shut and they heard the person on the other side fumbling with the chain. The door opened again enough for them to enter. “Yes. Please come in.” He rushed Dee and Ryo inside, then closed and locked the door. “Sit down, please.” He indicated two folding chairs.
 
After the last lock was in place, the man took out a pack of cigarettes and lit one. Placing the pack on a small table near the dirty window, he nervously smoked the cigarette. “We'll have to make this quick.”
 
The short, slightly overweight man who was prematurely balding in the back of his head paced in the small confines of the room. Ryo had to move twice to avoid being walked into.
 
Ryo remained standing, expecting Dee to do the same. To his surprise, he watched as his partner sat in a chair. Dee leaned forward, elbows resting on his knees. He looked up at Lechmere with a hard stare.
 
“Nervous, aren't we?” Dee commented. “Don't worry, Mr. Lechmere, we're just as much in a hurry as you are. So you tell us what you know, we leave you alone and so long as you stay legal, do whatever you like.”
 
Lechmere turned to face Dee. “Look, word has it you're not LA cops. I know I shouldn't be talking to you.”
 
Ryo moved to put himself between the door and Lechmere. Even with the door locked several times over, he was taking no chances of Lechmere leaving.
 
Lechmere put out his cigarette, and after reaching past Dee for the pack on the table, lit another. “Look,” he said, the smoke drifting into Dee's face. “You're getting this one-time-only exclusive. Because after you leave, I'm outta here. Get it? I don't want any other of them finding me.”
 
“So you think they know you're talking to us?” Dee asked.
 
“Yeah. They do.” He exhaled in Dee's direction.
 
Dee lifted a hand to wave the smoke away from him, making a face.
 
“Who's `they' exactly, Mr. Lechmere,” Ryo asked.
 
Lechmere turned to face Ryo, the smoke now drifting in his direction. Behind Lechmere, Ryo noticed Dee drop his head into his hands for a moment. For that brief moment, he did not look well, before he pulled himself together. To Ryo, he still looked a little pale.
 
“The other pigs. The ones who pulled me into this mess. I was an honest businessman, but I made a few mistakes. In exchange for my freedom, I was told my business was to be used for other means.”
 
Ryo traded glances with Dee. “Explain other means,” Ryo insisted.
 
“Look, I don't have time for twenty questions, okay? I'm going to tell you a little story and you take what you will with this.”
 
“Mr. Lechmere,” Dee started. “If you don't mind my asking, why suddenly are you in a story telling mood?”
 
Lechmere turned back to Dee. “Because you are out-of-towners. I want those bastards punished for what they did to my business. For what they did to my family.”
 
“Are you afraid they will go after your family?” Ryo asked.
 
“Hell yes. That's why I sent them overseas months ago. I didn't want to get involved with Sinclair and his business. Suddenly I find myself hiding additions into shipments from my company to other parts of the country. I knew one day I'd outgrow their usefulness, so I sent my family off on an extended vacation. It seems they are growing tired of me. Blame me for the bust in New York.”
 
“I can assure you, your shipping methods had nothing to do with the bust,” Dee remarked. “Okay, so from the beginning, tell us what you know. Then off you go. Deal?”
 
Lechmere lit another cigarette. “Deal.” More smoke exhaled in Dee's direction. Dee waved it away again and started to cough.
 
Ryo started to frown, his eyes going between Lechmere and Dee in concern. “Mr. Lechmere, I can understand you're nervous, but can you please open a window at least? Some of us don't share your passion for smoking.”
 
Lechmere looked from Ryo to Dee and noticed Dee was not handling the smoke too well. “Very well.” He put out the cigarette and went to open the only window in the room.
 
Dee immediately stood up and went to stand next to the window, gulping in deep breaths of the fresh air.
 
##### ##### ##### ##### ##### ##### ##### #####
 
“Well, that was interesting,” Ryo remarked as they left the hotel. He took out his cell phone.
 
“Most,” Dee replied, then paused as Ryo spoke into the phone.
 
“Diana, I have someone that needs to be watched,” Ryo said into the phone. He gave the address. “His name is Allen Lechmere, businessman with a very interesting story. I think he's going to try to skip the country. I'll explain more later. We're heading back to the precinct to listen around before heading out to Venice to meet you. Um, Dee and I would like to head back to the prec…. Damn, station afterward for a while. Once we're in the car and driving back, I'll give you a call with all the specifics. Bye.” He hung up the phone. “Hopefully her tail will catch our friend,” he said to Dee. “But I wasn't talking about our friend's story as interesting.”
 
“Oh?” Dee asked.
 
“Not that it wasn't. Dee, we'll have to proceed with caution back at the precinct….”
 
“Station,” Dee corrected with a teasing grin.
 
“Don't start, Dee.”
 
Dee chuckled. “Yeah, I know. If our snooping around from this morning already circulated, I'm with you. So are you willing to share what was more interesting than the tale between several cities we just heard?”
 
Ryo looked over at Dee. “I never thought I'd be asking someone to open a window so you could get fresh air in a smoke-filled room.”
 
Dee glanced down, looking uncomfortable. “It just started to hit me. The same way it does when I get too close to a Chinese restaurant.”
 
“You know what that means, Dee,” Ryo stated softly.
 
Dee nodded. He reached into his pocket and took out his pack of cigarettes, staring at them. With a heavy sigh, as they passed a trash receptacle, he tossed it in. “I haven't been able to get halfway through half of one of those damn things in the last two days.” He looked up at Ryo's wondrous smile. “But I'm still going to go apeshit. The cravings still hit once in a while, but I still can't handle them. It took me being up there with Lechmere to realize all the signs I've been taking for something else.” He placed a hand on his abdomen. “Damn kiddo, looks like you know how to protect yourself sometimes, huh?” His smile turned gentle and he turned his head to meet Ryo's soft eyes shining with love. “Anyway, let's get this part over with, then head out to meet Diana. I'm looking forward to finally seeing Venice Beach.”
 
“One area we haven't been able to drive through yet,” Ryo agreed. “Let's go.”
 
##### ##### ##### ##### ##### ##### ##### #####
 
Dee sat on a bench, looking out at the beach before him and at the setting sun over the Pacific Ocean. “The ocean looks so different out here,” he observed.
 
“It does,” Ryo agreed, sitting next to Dee.
 
“That's because it's cleaner out there than in New York City,” Diana said from her spot standing before them.
 
“Right. It looks cleaner,” Dee corrected with a laugh. “But it's a nice change anyway.” He gazed out to the ocean with an odd look on his face.
 
Ryo laughed and hugged Dee. “C'mon baby. Looks like we'll be wrapping this up in a day or two, and before you know it, you'll be wishing you were still on solid ground.”
 
Dee shuddered. “Thanks for the reminder.”
 
“Don't you like Los Angeles, Dee?” Diana asked, amused.
 
“It's a nice enough place to visit. Maybe one day I might want to come back to actually do some real sightseeing. Take the kiddo to Disneyland or something. But right now….” Dee shrugged. “I just want to be home.”
 
Ryo rested his head on Dee's shoulder, still holding him. “I guess this wasn't the best possible time to travel, huh?” he asked sympathetically.
 
“I'm sorry. I don't know what's with me.” Dee let out a sigh, but melted into the hold of his partner. “This is nice,” he mused.
 
“It's okay, Dee. I know what's wrong with you,” Ryo replied. He rested his other hand on Dee's belly.
 
Dee placed his hand over Ryo's.
 
“So are you boys ready to go get something to eat?” Diana asked. “What are you in the mood for?”
 
Dee looked up at Diana. “I noticed a Japanese restaurant that looks good. I haven't had sushi in a long time.”
 
Ryo frowned. “I thought you were reading the information you received?”
 
“Yeah. I am. There's a lot to digest and keep track of. Wait! What are you saying here?”
 
Diana took a step back. “I'm going to just go over here and hope to avoid the storm now.”
 
“Dee, no sushi,” Ryo braved the storm by saying it outright to Dee. “Not until after the baby is born. How about after, I'll take you to a sushi bar to celebrate?”
 
“Wha….?!? Hell. Dammit! I gave up drinking. I gave up smoking! I have no freakin' idea what I can eat anymore. And now you tell me I can't have sushi for eight fuckin' months? Are you insane?”
 
“Dee, calm down.”
 
“Why? You're not the one who has to give up just about everything he freakin' loves for some ungodly amount of time!” Dee jumped up to his feet. “Don't tell me to calm down!”
 
Diana watched as the range of emotions flashed across Ryo's face as he watched Dee's outburst. First confusion, which gave way to anger, then guilt, and finally understanding. He remained seated while Dee had jumped up and started to pace like a caged animal.
 
“I know you're going to regret saying that at some point,” Ryo stated levelly. His voice was soft, but it still managed to cut off Dee's storm of curses. “I also know you're confused right now. Probably finally at the end of your line with a nicotine fit, but you can't smoke. So I'm going to let it go.”
 
Dee turned to face Ryo.
 
Ryo looked up at his still angry, but confused lover. “But don't you ever think you gave up everything, because you still have me. You have Bikky. And you have…” he dared to smile, “… that kiddo there.” Ryo purposely used the word he noticed that Dee had started to refer to the baby as.
 
Dee's face fell. He stood staring at Ryo, looking stricken. “Oh God,” he groaned. “I'm really fucking this up. I'm not cut out for this.”
 
“Dee,” Diana stated, concerned eyes looking at him, “when it's unplanned, everyone - woman or man - goes through some confusion. Sometimes even if planned. But you chose to have this baby out of love. That love will cut through the confusion.”
 
Dee lost his fire. Guilt warred with confusion. Ryo noticed the fear in Dee's eyes, remembering the few times that Dee admitted to being scared.
 
“I may not be the one having this baby, love. I don't know if I can ever return the favor and one day know from experience whatever you're going through. But I'm going to do everything possible to be there for you and to make this as easy as I can.”
 
Dee stared at Ryo for a moment, then let out an anguished sound. He squeezed his eyes shut. His jaw clenched and his hands balled into fists. Ryo chose that moment to stand up finally. He stood within Dee's reach, but did not attempt to touch him. Diana stood off to the side, staring at the two men in fascination.
 
It was Dee who made the first move. His eyes opened, not surprised to see Ryo in front of him. His fists unclenched.
 
“I'm sorry,” Dee said quietly. His eyes met Ryo's.
 
Finally Ryo reached out, pulling Dee into an embrace. Dee leaned into him, resting his head on Ryo's shoulder, while Ryo nuzzled the side of his head.
 
“I guess you'll have your moments of blaming me, love,” Ryo said with a small smile.
 
“I'll try not to,” Dee replied, “but no promises. But I will promise this much. I will not blame the chibi.”
 
Ryo laughed at the word Dee used. “Chibi, huh?”
 
“Well, until we know what we're having and choose a name.”
 
“Are we?” Ryo asked. “Finding out the sex, that is.”
 
“We're not?” Dee asked.
 
“Well, I see both sides of it. So whatever you want, we'll do.” Ryo ran his hand down Dee's back.
 
“I'm not too sure myself. I guess we have the time.” Dee sighed from the touch. “Ryo?”
 
“Yeah, babe?”
 
“I am hungry, but I'm still having this crisis of not knowing what to eat,” Dee said as he pulled away from Ryo's hold.
 
“I understand, but I don't want to see you not eating because of it,” Ryo admonished. “You are not going to live on only melba toast, ginger ale, and peppermint tea.”
 
Dee sighed. “Not my intention. I love food too much. Which is part of the problem. But oh well…. Any suggestions on what to eat?”
 
“We can just walk along the shops and go into any place that you both find interesting,” Diana suggested.
 
“Sounds nice,” Ryo said, “but we do want to check some things out tonight before it gets too late.”
 
“Well,” Diana remarked, “taking in all the info you two have been relaying all day, my people are doing a search as we speak. There won't be anything for you to find back at the station, because I'll have it all for you already. I figure it would be best if local FBI moves in to do the weeding rather than two cops from New York. Yes, I know you two quite well to know what you were planning.”
 
“Makes sense,” Dee reasoned. “But I was looking forward to the task myself.”
 
“Give it up, Dee,” Diana laughed. “Look, you're both getting the credit for uncovering a drug ring within the force. It seems that Sinclair originally had something on your two hosts. Then greed entered the picture. Same with three others in the same station. Two were brought in already for questioning. I have a feeling we're going to be moving in on Sinclair very soon. Or lose him again. So get ready to be on the move.”
 
“So we could be going home by the end of the week?” Ryo asked.
 
“More like tomorrow night. Unless he decides to make a move sooner than we anticipate.”
 
“As in if he tries to skip out in the middle of the night?” Dee asked. “Wait a minute. Does this mean we have a location on him?”
 
“Hopefully we will tonight. Someone has to know where he is and squeal.”
 
Dee frowned. “A cop isn't going to last long in prison. Diana, I hope you aren't planning a plea bargain?”
 
“Depends on the truth, I guess. I'll tell you what. If we don't get anyone talking by tomorrow morning, I'll let you and Ryo have a crack at them. Now let's get something to eat. Basically, we're all on call tonight.”
 
“Then I suggest an early night if we don't get called in. That way we're ready if we're needed at some odd hour. If not, tomorrow could be a very long day for us,” Ryo stated.
 
“I guess you have a point. Okay, I know a place that has a little of everything. I'm sure we can find enough that Dee could eat to have a nice big meal,” Diana replied.
 
“Lead on,” Ryo said. He took Dee's hand and they walked with Diana.
 
##### ##### ##### ##### ##### ##### ##### #####
 
Ryo awoke to the sound of his cell ringing on the bedside table. Still groggy, he reached to answer it before it woke Dee up. “Hello,” he mumbled.
 
“Ryo, you both have the morning off. But this afternoon, I'll be around to check you boys out and take you to the airport.”
 
“You got him?” Ryo asked hopefully, sitting up. He gazed down at Dee, who snuggled further into the covers. Unable to stop himself, he ran his fingers softly through Dee's hair. “Why weren't we called?”
 
“It happened so fast, I just got the call myself. Everything's under control and we're working on the arrangements to get the three of you to New York this afternoon. So sleep in late, do some last minute sightseeing or something. I'll be there around 3. Someone will be taking the car you're using back and I'll get you to the airport where we'll meet up with Sinclair and your additional escorts.”
 
“Okay, Diana. Dee will be glad to hear that. See you later.”
 
“Hear what?” Dee mumbled into the pillow.
 
Ryo laid down along Dee's body, putting his arms around him. His fingers stroked the firm muscles and smooth soft skin on Dee's back. Dee turned to move closer to Ryo. “Is it morning already?”
 
“You need to get off the morning sickness in the middle of the night and get it during the morning like normal people,” Ryo chuckled.
 
“Hell, Ryo I get it all hours of the day when it wants to hit.” He moved his head to take Ryo's mouth for a long, lazy kiss.
 
“How are you feeling now?” Ryo asked after they caught their breath.
 
“Better. Hungry, in fact.” His eyes roamed along Ryo's upper body, letting Ryo know exactly what he was hungry for.
 
“Oh really? Well, who am I to allow you to starve?” Ryo chuckled, running his hands across Dee's chest. “But before we get carried away, Diana called. They just nabbed Sinclair. We're only needed to be downstairs at 3 so Diana can drive us to the airport.”
 
“We're going home today?” Dee asked hopefully.
 
“Yes. We are.”
 
Dee dropped his head. “Oh shit! That also means having to fly again!”
 
Ryo hugged him tighter. “I'm going to be right next to you the entire time. I swear it, Dee. If I have to, I'll cuff us and throw away the keys.”
 
“Oh, you will?” Dee lifted his head, intrigued. “That reminds me of what we haven't done in a long time. And with this new change in patterns, I think I would really love it if you…” Dee grinned wickedly.
 
“Oh really? Well, we can practice for a bit. Or we can give up going up to Griffith's Park and check out the Hollywood sign from there entirely.”
 
“Practice, sign, home and then… baby, I'm all yours to do whatever you want,” Dee said with a leer.
 
“I love how you can put things into perspective, Dee.” Ryo leaned over to grab Dee for another long, lingering kiss.
 
##### ##### ##### ##### ##### ##### ##### #####
 
A/N: I love you reviewers! You make my muses very very happy. *HUGS*