Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Back In the New York Groove ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: The Unexpected I
Chapter 13 - Back In the New York Groove
Rating: R
Fandom: FAKE
Pairings: Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
Disclaimer: FAKE is not mine. We have Sanami Matoh for giving us Dee, Ryo and the rest of the 27th precinct characters. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
 
December 15, 2005
 
The trip home was uneventful. Diana took them to the airport in Burbank instead of LAX. The ride through that part reminded Dee that they never did get around to that part of town and to get closer to Universal Studios than a distant sighting.
 
Agents met them and helped with luggage, which they discovered included Diana's. The plane was smaller than the one Dee had taken from Chicago to Los Angeles. He gulped and almost stopped walking as they were escorted across the tarmac toward the staircase leading up to the plane's hatch. The plane's interior was segregated into two areas. The section in the back was a holding cell, where while still chained, Sinclair was kept for the flight. The other section was for the rest of the passengers, which besides Diana, Ryo and Dee, included four other FBI agents, and the two flight attendants. The space was nicely appointed with the seats set up in clusters of four around a table, seating a total of 16, and two couches.
 
Dee did get sick shortly after take off, but Ryo and Diana were prepared to handle it. Ryo kept his promise and despite the inquiring looks of the other agents, including one of outright disgust, Ryo held Dee and made him as comfortable as possible for the non-stop flight from Los Angeles to New York City.
 
Back in New York, Sinclair was booked, a court date was set and early the next morning when the last of the paperwork was filed, they were given the next three days off. Later that day after they got a little sleep, Dee went to the orphanage to pick up Bikky and talk to Mother a little, while Ryo went grocery shopping. Ryo took advantage of the time away from Dee and started his search for the perfect ring to give Dee. He had been looking around on the internet using his laptop while in Los Angeles whenever Dee was not around, but did not see anything he liked.
 
It was turning out to be harder than Ryo had hoped. He had a little over a week to find just the right ring and fought to keep himself from going into full panic mode. Ryo was looking for something that was masculine yet not gaudy. He did not expect Dee to wear it all the time, but wanted something that whenever the mood struck Dee to put it on, everyone would know he was intended to someone. He also wanted something different that what he had been noticing on the fingers of other men ever since he got the idea in his head of marrying Dee.
 
The next day, a Friday with no work, while Dee was out Christmas shopping, Ryo went on his own shopping trip. He returned no closer to what he wanted to give to Dee. While starting dinner, he decided to call his aunt for their weekly phone call and to firm up plans for the holidays. Dee and Ryo had already decided to wait until Christmas day to share their news with Ryo's aunt, but Ryo wanted to blurt it out the moment he heard Elena's voice answer the phone.
 
“Elena,” Ryo greeted, having long fallen into the habit of simply calling his father's sister by just her first name most times. “How's the holidays treating you so far?”
 
“Ryo? It's about time you called, with Christmas being next weekend. I have some news to tell you.” She sounded amused.
 
“Oh?” Ryo asked, thinking he had some big news to tell her, but it would have to wait. He could have told her over the phone, but decided he wanted to be able to tell her face to face, with Dee at his side.
 
“Rick is slightly miffed at us,” Elena said.
 
“Why? What did we do now?” Ryo teased.
 
“Well, let me put it this way. When we were trying to get together a list of who we needed to go Christmas shopping for, your uncle decided to suggest we should get one gift for both you and Dee.”
 
“Huh? Rick getting cheap this year or what?” Ryo asked.
 
“When I asked him about it, he told me it's because he's more than certain you two aren't just roommates, but afraid to let us know. So Rick came to the conclusion that if we got you both something one gives to a couple, it would show our support of your relationship.”
 
Ryo nearly dropped the phone as he listened to Elena. “He what? What did you say to him?”
 
“What could I say? That a few months ago, I had already approached you on the possibility and that, yes, both you and Dee are lovers.”
 
Ryo felt his face get red. “Uh… well. Um, what did he have to say about that?”
 
“That I should have told him then. That you shouldn't feel as if you have to keep something like that from him. I got the lecture because of you, Ryo!”
 
“Hey, you agreed with it,” Ryo pointed out. “But I guess I would have been telling him soon anyway,” he added, allowing some of his news to slip out. “Like maybe on Christmas when you're both over here.”
 
“I guess I should tell Rick you have more faith in him than he thinks if you were planning on dropping that on him on Christmas Day.” Elena laughed.
 
“Well, it's not the easiest thing to do when you have no idea how someone might take it. I knew how you felt about gays, but I still felt weird telling you that your nephew was one of them. Which is why it took me until you finally confronted me - over two years after I started seeing Dee. Rick, well, he never gave his opinion on such things one way or the other. So I had no idea how he would take it at first.”
 
“Hey, I'll leave that up to you to explain to him when I turn the phone over. But before I do, let me ask you. What made you decide to suddenly tell him on Christmas?”
 
Ryo smiled tenderly. It was so tempting to tell her everything. He reminded himself once again, that it was more Dee's news to tell and his partner needed to be there. He also had to remember he did not want his aunt to be told over the phone, which was why they decided to wait, rather than his picking up the phone and calling her after coming back from the orphanage the day they had told Mother. “It's a secret,” he remarked. “At least I want to keep it a secret from Dee until Christmas Eve.”
 
“What are you up to, Ryo?”
 
“I guess I'm having a change of heart about just living together. I want things between Dee and I to be more official.”
 
“Ryo! Are you saying what I think you are?”
 
“Yeah, but like I said, it's a surprise. Dee doesn't know it yet.”
 
“He'll be so thrilled. I know he wants the same thing, but he also knows how you are about some things. He's just waiting for you to tell him you're ready for that next step. But he'll never be expecting you to ask him!” She laughed in excitement. “Oh Ryo! Dee will be so happy! Take pictures when you ask him, Ryo. I want to see what Dee looks like with tears in his eyes!”
 
“You are mean,” Ryo laughed. “Dee would kill me if I showed anyone something like that. Including you.” He sighed heavily.
 
“What's wrong, Ryo?”
 
“Nothing. Just that, I have eight days to find the perfect ring to give Dee. And I'm starting to fear I won't find it in time. Either I'll have something less than what I want to give him, or I won't have anything at all.”
 
“Why don't you go for customizing?”
 
“One, I'm not that creative artistically. I wouldn't know where to begin. Two, a custom ring, unfortunately, would be more than I have to spend. Not that I don't think Dee is worth it. If I had the money to spare, I would.”
 
“I think I might be able to help. I don't know if you remember Harry McAllister.”
 
“He's that jeweler guy that used to make rings for dad to give to mom, isn't he?”
 
“The one in the same. And he always asks how you're doing whenever I talk to him. We're still pretty much in touch. We see each other at functions, openings and stuff. He had his own show with his jewelry not long ago. In a quaint little gallery not far from where you live in fact.”
 
“Really? So you're saying I might find something out of his overpriced collection he had for viewing?” Ryo joked.
 
“No silly. Let me give you his number. Once he hears who you are, he'd be glad to extend the family discounts. He does very exquisite work.”
 
“Yeah, he does,” Ryo agreed. “I remember mom's jewelry. But I'm looking for something more….”
 
“Masculine? For your male bride?” Elena joked.
 
“Elena!” Ryo sputtered. “Don't say it that way. No brides in this wedding.”
 
Elena laughed. “Anyway, give Harry a call and see what he has. He told me he has many molds made that he never have gotten around to cast a ring from. I'm sure even with a little extra cash for a rush job, you can get a wonderful ring to give Dee and still pay less than buying it from one of the stores.”
 
“It's worth a shot, I guess,” Ryo conceded. “Okay, I'll give him a call.”
 
Ryo wrote down the number his aunt gave him.
 
“I have a good feeling you won't regret it, Ryo,” she stated. “Now, I have to pass the phone over. Good luck, because Rick has a few things to say to you.” She giggled.
 
“Oh boy! Uh, hi Rick. How's it going?” he said weakly into the phone as he heard his uncle's voice.
 
Rick reminded Ryo of Dee when it came to his direct approach at things. "I guess I should be asking you that. But since you're not up to offering information, let me say this. Congratulations,” he said to Ryo. “From what I know of Dee, I think you have a fine young man as your partner. Other than in police work."
 
Ryo started to blush. “I'm sorry, Rick.”
 
“Ryo, what I want to know if how come you told you aunt, but kept this from me?” Rick asked. “Your aunt said you swore her to secrecy.”
 
Ryo gulped, realizing the last time he felt like this around Rick was a time before he turned 19 and lived with his aunt and uncle. He had come home in the middle of the night, having had too much to drink to find Rick sitting in the living room, waiting for him. “Because Elena actually told me?” he replied.
 
"You know you could have come to us,” Rick said. “You know us better than that, boy."
 
“I know. But... well, this isn't just anything.” Ryo took a deep breath. “I trusted my parents, but I still would have hesitated about telling them. In fact, I have to admit, I did just that. I went into denial so I wouldn't have to tell them. I had no idea how you felt about this type of thing. You never had any opinion one way or the other,” Ryo explained.
 
"Do you remember my cousin Marc?" Rick asked.
 
“Marc? The one that would give me pointers in soccer when he came around?”
 
"That's the one. He's gay. Openly. He was more than my cousin. He was my best friend. Don't tell me you never noticed?” Rick almost sounded amused.
 
“No. Can't say that I have,” Ryo replied, shocked. “I never knew.”
 
“Now you tell me how I feel about such things,” Rick admonished. “Me, with a gay best friend, who actually was my best man at your aunt's and my wedding."
 
“I didn't realize he was gay!” was all Ryo could think of saying. “If I had, well, maybe I might have told you and Elena about us much sooner.”
 
"Boy, I guess you've always been a bit oblivious, huh?" He let out a laugh. "So, Dee, huh? Is he treating you good?"
 
Ryo smiled fondly. “Very good, Rick,” he replied, finding it hard not to blurt out their news. `Soon,' he told himself. `Just another week and we will tell them.'
 
“That's good. You always look so happy when he's around.”
 
Like with Elena, he decided to let one little surprise known to his uncle, especially since he had already told his aunt. “So, um... then that means you'll be at the wedding?”
 
"Wedding?" Rick asked. "What wedd.... OH! Really?" Rick sounded both surprised and pleased at the same time.
 
“Assuming Dee says yes, that is” Ryo explained. “I didn't ask him yet, but I'm certain he'll say yes.”
 
"Jesus, Ryo! I didn't guess it was that serious between you two already! I mean, I figured it was serious, with you two living together, but this... Wow. I'm very happy for you, Ryo."
 
Ryo laughed at his uncle's surprise. “Well, this June will be our 3rd anniversary. Living together with Dee has been good. Very good. So much that I realized that I don't want to just live with him. I know I want to spend the rest of my life with Dee.”
 
"Well, I didn't really expect this, but I don't mind repeating: I'm very happy for you, Ryo. Dee is a good man. And you deserve to be happy. God knows, you do."
 
“He is, Rick. Dee's a very good man. One of the best. Honestly, had I known about Marc, I would have told you and Elena shortly after I got together with Dee. It's not that I didn't want to tell you.”
 
"You better treat him right then, boy!"
 
“I'm doing the best I can,” Ryo admitted honestly. “He deserves that. But sometimes he's not the easiest one. But then I'm not either. But we make it work because we love each other.”
 
Rick made a funny sound. "Ryo, remember I'm old - don't give me a heart failure here! With all the happiness oozing over the phone here." He let out a hearty laugh.
 
“You old? Don't make me laugh.”
 
"Next thing I know, you'll be telling me I'm going to be a great uncle,.” Rick joked. He let out another jovial laugh.
 
Ryo nearly dropped the phone. “Well, who knows?” he managed to say with a laugh. “I mean, we already have Bikky. Legally, he's our son. We might decide to have another one day. Who knows.”
 
“You both adopted that fine rascal of yours? I shouldn't be so surprised of you talking about getting married then. It sounds like you really are settled and content with your life, Ryo. You and Dee have my blessings. And if you do decide to go for another little one, don't take so long in telling us. You hear?”
 
“I won't. We won't,” Ryo answered honestly, knowing it would be just another week. Only because he did want to tell them face to face, he reminded himself before he went and blurted the truth out.
 
“Is adoption your only option, Ryo?” Rick asked. “Your mother's family does have carriers.”
 
“Well, honestly, I am one, but I was told if I decide to go that way, I need treatments before I'm able to conceive. And that's only a chance at it.”
 
“Sorry to hear that, Ryo. But let's get this wedding out of the way first, shall we?” he laughed. “Here I am planning a large family for you and all. It's obvious whether you and Dee decide to add any additions to your family, that you have one already. A family that is. One that you're very happy with.”
 
“Oh that I am, Rick. You have no idea. But you'll see for yourself when you and Elena come over for Christmas. You both still are coming over, right? With Stefen and Danielle?”
 
“We'll all be there, Ryo. Don't you worry about that. It's a good thing you have a nice new big apartment there to fit us all in. Oh well, Elena is glaring is holes into the back of my head! I promised to go shopping with her again today. You know how it goes. `Tis the season to turn my credit cards to just plastic."
 
“I'm really sorry, Rick,” Ryo found himself apologizing again.
 
“That's fine. So long as we understand each other now. And you promise no more secrets. All that matters to us is for you to be happy. Uh oh, now she's tapping her foot. Evil footsie, Ryo!"
 
“Oh, I remember it too well!” Ryo laughed. “Matter of fact, Dee does that sometimes too. You better go!”
 
"Well, yeah. Give Dee... well, give him a hug from us, son, got that?"
 
Ryo smiled. “I will. Thanks again.”
 
"You're welcome. And tell him, he better treat you right or else..."
 
Ryo grinned. “Why don't you tell him that on Christmas?”
 
"Oh, I might!” he laughed. “We love you, Ryo. Never forget that. We'll see you guys on Christmas."
 
“I love you too. I'll be seeing you soon.”
 
"Cheerio!"
 
Ryo listened as his uncle hung up the phone. He looked at the paper with the phone number he had written while talking to Elena.
 
Right then he called the jeweler friend, who told him he could email pictures of the designs to Ryo that day, telling Ryo if they can come to a decision by the next day, he could have the ring ready by midweek. They exchanged necessary information.
 
Ryo started dinner, anxious to see what type of a selection he had to choose from. Harry had given some descriptions of what he thought would work, and Ryo felt the jeweler had more of what Ryo pictured he would give to Dee than anything he had seen so far. Shortly after, Harry emailed Ryo photos of all his designs.
 
 
 
Unknown to Dee, all Saturday Ryo and Harry were emailing and getting on IM as Ryo settled on a design, and they worked out the particulars. Harry assured Ryo he would start work on the ring that very day and it would be ready by mid-week for Ryo to come and pick it up. They settled on a price that Ryo found very reasonable considering what he was getting.
 
By the time Dee called out that dinner was ready, Ryo was filled with a new excitement. He wanted to see the finished ring and he could not wait to see Dee's face on Christmas Eve.
 
 
 
Sunday, they went to work, but none of the other detectives they usually worked with had a shift that day. It was a quiet day going over new cases coming in, choosing which ones they were to take, and making preparations for Sinclair's court date. After work, they went over to the orphanage for a few hours spending the time between playing with the children and having dinner with Mother. Mother, of course, fussed over Dee, still quite excited and not quite believing that her `baby' was having a baby of his own.
 
 
*** *** ***
 
December 19, 2005
 
Monday morning they entered the squad room, finding their co-workers, who were also their friends, already there. Dee had another rough night and they got to work a little later than they had hoped.
 
Ted and Drake were already in the squad room, drinking coffee and talking to the other detectives in the precinct's bureau.
 
Ted turned upon noticing the two enter. “Well, if it isn't our illustrious worldly travelers back from yet another exciting adventure.”
 
“Depends on your definition of adventure,” Dee scoffed.
 
“Dee still doesn't like plane travel, huh?” Drake laughed.
 
“Shut up,” Dee muttered.
 
“At least you don't get sick and puke your guts out,” one of the other detectives pointed out. “Or do you, Laytner?”
 
“I'm fine with traveling,” Dee remarked, lifting his Starbuck's cup to his mouth.
 
Ryo's went from Dee to Ted, shaking his head. “Jealous because once again you got passed over for some paid holiday?” He smirked as he drank from his own coffee cup.
 
“You're getting too cocky lately, MacLean,” Ted remarked, amused.
 
“Gee, I seem to keep hearing that lately,” Ryo mused, pretending to ignore Ted as he drank more of his coffee.
 
“If you only knew,” Dee sighed into his cup. Only Ryo heard the comment and nudged him in his side with an elbow in playful warning.
 
“So anything interesting happen while we were away?” Ryo asked.
 
“No. Same old,” Ted replied.
 
“Except for JJ. He's been moping all week since Dee left,” Drake remarked. “And it's no fun having a moping partner, let me tell you.”
 
Ted laughed. “Oh yeah. You guys missed amusing. Drake going out of his way to lift JJ's mood. It was very funny. We were all highly entertained.”
 
“Shut up, Ted. I feel sorry for the guy,” Drake remarked with a frown. He looked at Dee. “One of these days soon, either you need to finally put out for him, or JJ needs to come to terms that it's never going to happen.”
 
Dee nearly dropped his cup as Drake spoke. “That would be it ain't never going to happen,” he said. “Because I don't put out for anyone but one person.”
 
“Geez what a soap opera we have going here,” Ted laughed. “Because that one person obviously doesn't put out for anyone.”
 
“Hey, what did I warn you, Ted?” Dee grumbled.
 
“Would you both stop it,” Ryo remarked.
 
Drake broke out in laughter. “Ah, it really was quiet around here without you two.”
 
“Oh oh,” Ted said, his eyes going to the break room.
 
“What?” Ryo asked, going to turn to see what Ted was looking out.
 
Ryo never had a chance to complete the action as they heard JJ yelling out Dee's name at the top of his lungs. JJ charged at full speed, his excitement at finally seeing Dee after a week overcoming him. He barreled into Dee, knocking him down flat on his back. Dee's cup went flying and landed on the floor. JJ straddled Dee, sitting on the pregnant man's stomach and bouncing in excitement.
 
“Dee!” Ryo cried out, watching JJ's latest glomp in horror. Everything happened too fast for Ryo to stop it, but he was in action before Dee let out a yelp in pain.
 
“Get off him!” Ryo roared, grabbing JJ by his arm and pulling him off Dee.
 
“Dammit, JJ!” Dee groaned in protest.
 
Ryo yanked JJ to his feet and held him in a tight grip by his arm. “Don't you ever do that again! Do you here me, you idiot!”
 
“Calm down, Ryo,” Drake warned, going to the aid of his shaking partner.
 
“Don't tell me to calm down. One of these fuckin' days, he's going to hurt Dee really bad. He's damn lucky if he didn't already.” He lifted his free arm and pulled it back.
 
“Ryo! No!” Ted warned, rushing up from behind Ryo. He grabbed his arm before Ryo had a chance to take a swing at JJ. Drake and Ted found themselves attempting to pry a raging Ryo off JJ.
 
“Jesus Ryo!” Drake exclaimed, managing to push JJ out of the way and avoiding the swing aimed for JJ.
 
“Let go of me!” Ryo growled, trying to get at JJ again.
 
Drake managed to get a good hold on his partner and pushed the smaller detective behind him. “What the hell, MacLean? Leave him alone!”
 
“Why? He doesn't seem to understand he needs to leave Dee alone!”
 
The all heard a groan coming from the floor, not far from them.
 
The fight left Ryo upon hearing the sound. He fought to free himself from Ted and Drake, and made his way over to where Dee was still on the floor, attempting to sit up.
 
Ryo dropped to his knees next to Dee, placing an arm around his back to keep him steady. “Easy. Are you all right?”
 
Dee nodded. “Yeah. Just a little shaken. And nauseous.”
 
“Nice job, JJ,” Ryo grumbled. “Need to go to the restroom?”
 
“No. Office would be fine.”
 
Ignoring the others, including some of the other detectives who had gathered around to watch the spectacle, Ryo helped Dee to his feet. “Certain you're okay, Dee?”
 
“Yeah. I can stand on my own. Thanks.” Dee looked down on the floor at his cup. “Of course, my drink bit the dust.”
 
“I'll get you more, Dee,” Ryo said, studying his partner, assuring for himself that Dee was okay.
 
Dee started in the direction of their office, Ryo at his side.
 
Once inside the office, Dee sat down in his chair. “Ryo, honestly. I'm fine. Thanks to you. It might have been different if you didn't get JJ off me when you had, but…” he smiled warmly at Ryo, “…you did. We're both fine, Ryo.” He placed his hand on his stomach. “Chibi and me, thanks to Papa.”
 
Ryo leaned against Dee's desk. “Well, if you insist. But if you feel any pain….”
 
“I'll call Vince. Yes, I know the drill already, Ryo. Honestly, I probably took a worse banging up landing back in Chicago. And we both survived that.”
 
“You want more tea?” Ryo asked gently.
 
“Yeah. And probably some of the melba toast too.”
 
“You got it, love.” Ryo leaned in closer to lightly kiss Dee. “You just relax and I'll be right back.”
 
While Ryo was gone, JJ appeared in the doorway. “Dee, can I come in?” he asked, seeming very subdued.
 
Dee looked up from the file he was reading. “Yeah. Just stay calm, okay?” He laughed nervously.
 
“I'm sorry, Dee. I don't know what's going on lately, but something is. And it's got Ryo all bent out of shape too. I know you weren't feeling well before you left, and I hope it's not that still, because that might not mean good news.”
 
Dee leaned on the desk and looked up at JJ. “I'm not dying, JJ,” he assured him. “I'm quite fine, in fact. Just I need to take it easy for a while. I don't mean being treated like I'm made of china or anything, but Ryo… well, he cares about me. A lot. He's going to make it seem like I'm fine porcelain or something. I doubt he's going to apologize, so please accept my apology from the both of us.”
 
“Sure Dee. For you.”
 
“JJ,” Dee sighed. “Give it up. There's nothing between us except friends. At least I'd like to hope we can be friends.”
 
“That's the worse thing a guy likes to hear, Dee.”
 
Dee chuckled. “Yeah, it is. Well, there you have it. `Cause it's true. So, friends?”
 
“Yeah. It's better than nothing, I guess.”
 
“It is. And in the future, if you still must persist in the glomping, can you please try to glomp gently. I'd rather none, but that might be too much to ask for. But if you scare Ryo again, you're just going to risk his wrath again.”
 
“I'll try not to. But no promises. I'll talk to you later, Dee.”
 
Dee watched as JJ turned to leave the office, the same time Ryo appeared in the doorway, cup and package of toast in hand. He glared at JJ, moving aside to allow him to leave, before entering the office and closing the door using his foot.
 
“He came to apologize,” Dee explained.
 
“At least you're still in one piece,” Ryo said, placing the mug down before Dee, along with the packaged mini-toast.
 
“I think you shook him up really badly, Ryo,” Dee remarked, opening the package up and taking a thin slice out. He took a bite then looked at it. “Peanut butter.”
 
“What?”
 
“I realized that peanut butter would go good on this.”
 
“You're supposed to eat dry toast, Dee.”
 
“Only to settle my stomach. But some of this with peanut butter would be good for a snack.” He picked up his cup to take a drink of tea, watching Ryo.
 
Ryo stared at the door, glaring.
 
“He doesn't know, Ryo,” Dee said gently, hoping to get Ryo in a better mood.
 
“Still, he shouldn't be jumping you anyway,” Ryo pointed out. “You're with me.”
 
Dee shook his head amused. “He doesn't know that either,” he reminded Ryo.
 
“Yeah. You're right. But that's going to change in two weeks. Which reminds me, are we going to do verbal invitation for New Year's Eve. Or should we go for written invitations.”
 
“Well,” Dee mused, sitting back in his chair. “Considering this is going to be our first formal party in the new place, and by the end of the night, our very first as a couple, then I would say written invitation would do. Nothing fancy. We can stop at a card store on the way home. One pack would be more than enough.”
 
“If that's what you want, then we'll do that.” Ryo leaned over to kiss Dee again before going over to his desk to start their day.
 
 
 
“Come in,” Dee called out at the knock on their door.
 
The door opened and Dee's eyes widened upon seeing an angry looking Commissioner Rose standing there. “MacLean, my office. Right now!”
 
Dee and Ryo traded looks, wondering what was going on. Supposedly the times of Ryo being called down to the Commissioner's office for Rose's version of fun and games were over.
 
Ryo looked over at Rose. “Sir?”
 
“You heard me, get going.” Rose looked over at Dee. “Stay put, Dee. I promise I won't hurt him too badly.”
 
“What's going on?” Dee asked, frowning, watching as Ryo stood up and headed for the door.
 
“I'm sure he'll tell you all about it when he gets back. Don't worry, Dee. Chief Smith will be joining us.” He walked out behind Ryo and closed the office door.
 
Ryo found himself walking behind the Commissioner in silence until they got to Rose's office. Chief Smith was already waiting for their arrival.
 
“I decided to personally extend my invitation,” Rose said to the Chief, indicating Ryo. He closed the door and strode across the office to sit behind his desk.
 
“Sit down, Randy,” Chief ordered from his chair alongside the Commissioner's desk.
 
Ryo sat in a chair, sitting straight up. “What's going on?” he asked.
 
“Ryo, I got a couple of complaints from the other detectives about an incident in the squad room this morning,” Rose stated. “I heard you jumped Detective Adams.”
 
“Well, JJ had attacked Dee,” Ryo defended.
 
“And this has been going on for how long, Randy?” Chief asked him.
 
Ryo shrugged. “For as long as he's been here. But Chief, it's different now. He knocked Dee right off his feet. Dee's hot tea fell and spilled, luckily not on anyone. Then he jumped on Dee.” Ryo's eyes met Rose's. “And started to jump up and down on Dee's stomach,” he enunciated slowly, making sure his point got across.
 
He watched Rose's eyes change to concern.
 
“I'm sorry, Commissioner, Chief. I guess… when I saw that, I panicked. All I wanted was to protect Dee and the baby. Bad enough what Dee went through last week flying out to Los Angeles.”
 
“We heard about that from Agent Spacey,” Rose stated. He let out a sigh. “I take it that Dee's all right then. I trust he wouldn't be in the office working right now if he wasn't.”
 
“No sir. I'd have made sure he want to see his doctor. He says I got JJ off of him quick enough not to be hurt. But he was still shaken for a bit, and got nauseous. I know what you're going to say. Yes, that was unprofessional of me. But please take into consideration what JJ does is not professional either. Especially after Dee has repeatedly asked him to stop.”
 
“Detective Adams is not aware of Dee's condition right now,” Rose said. “Am I correct?”
 
“Yes sir. We are planning on letting the other guys know at a New Year's Eve party.”
 
“Still, Randy has a point that Adams should not be jumping Dee in the first place,” Chief pointed out with a frown. “I've dealt with it enough myself, I'll have to admit.”
 
Rose nodded. “Okay. I'll talk to Adams myself. Professionally, of course. I'll mention nothing about Dee being pregnant. That will be up to the two of you. He'll just get a verbal reprimand, if that's okay with you.”
 
“That should be enough, sir. Thank you.”
 
“And I'll forgot about your little fit. But you need to promise me something, Ryo,” Rose said.
 
“Sir?”
 
“I know you have this need to protect Dee more than you ever had before. I understand it. Well, I understand having to protect a pregnant partner who was my best friend, so I can only imagine the emotions run higher when partner is also your significant other. But Ryo, by all rights, your partner should not be your significant other. I'm looking the other way and will stand between you both and IAD if it comes to it. But you have to give me something to base my argument on. You going around, blowing up and swinging your fists at anyone who even hints at insulting Dee is not going to help me. It's not going to help you. And it most certainly will not help Dee,” Rose stated.
 
“Randy, I admire your loyalty and need to protect your family,” Chief added, “but stop and think before you react. I've given Dee this speech years ago. I'm glad it sank in. I'm hoping the same will be true for you. Of course, I didn't realize just how close you both were at the time. But I do now. So listen up. Keep going like this, without reigning in your temper, one of these days, instead of protecting Dee, you could end up hurting him. Or worse. What if you get him killed?”
 
“But Chief…”
 
“No, buts Randy. I think you've been on the job long enough that if you think about it, you'll understand what I mean. You may also manage to keep Dee alive, but get yourself killed from acting rashly. You tell me how that will protect Dee, Randy? Because I can tell you, it won't. I don't care if it's while he's pregnant or after he has the kid, imagine Dee trying to pick up his life, along with your child's and that other son of yours. I want you to think really hard on both those scenarios and then on all the ways that can come to be. We all want both you and Dee very much alive and healthy. But you need to help us here with that, Randy. Because if you can't control your temper, then I'm going to have no other choice but pair you both off with others, at least until Dee returns from baby leave. Do I make myself clear.”
 
Ryo nodded, hanging his head. “Yes Chief.”
 
“Ryo, don't make us do that. The choice is up to you,” Rose stated. “I trust you'll follow Chief Smith's advice and do what's right.”
 
“Yes sir. I will.”
 
“Fine. You can go now. Take care of that partner of yours, but do it wisely.”
 
“Yes sir.”
 
Both the Chief and Commissioner watched as Ryo dejectedly left the office.
 
Chief folded his arms, sitting back in his seat. “I hated doing that to him.”
 
“I agree. But it had to be done. I trust Ryo enough that knowing what the problem is, he will correct it.”
 
“So do I. But I still hated doing that.” Chief stood up. “Oh well, if you will excuse me, Commissioner, I should be going back to my office.”
 
“Of course, Chief Smith. And thank you for lending your support.”
 
“Anything for my boys, Commissioner,.” Chief managed a smile, then left the office. “I'll see you later when we have a discussion with Adams.”
 
*** *** ***
 
Ryo entered the office in a sullen mood. Dee looked up from his computer and frowned upon seeing Ryo's face.
 
“What the hell happened?” Dee demanded, standing up to go over to Ryo.
 
Ryo closed the office door and shook his head. “The Commissioner and Chief wanted to talk to me about this morning.” Ryo dropped into his seat and picked up a pen. He started to tap it against his desk.
 
“You got in trouble? How bad?” Dee sat on Ryo's desk facing him.
 
“Verbal. Nothing written. JJ will be hearing from them too.” Ryo shook his head. “I guess I finally got him in trouble.”
 
“But nothing written, right? For JJ? You? Just verbal, right.”
 
“Only verbal. But I really got it for my temper. They didn't yell or anything, even Chief. I got a lecture.” He looked up at Dee. “Then I got another one, one that supposedly Chief gave you a few years ago.”
 
Dee's eyes went wide. “Oh! You got that one?” When Ryo nodded, Dee grinned. “I have to admit it sank in for me.”
 
“Yeah, no kidding.” Ryo seemed to shake himself from his mood. “I guess I was thinking about what Chief said when I came in. And yeah, it's an eye opener. You know I'd never do anything to hurt you, Dee.”
 
Dee smiled gently. “I know. Did they try to threaten you with separating us?”
 
“Yeah, they did. Give us new partners - at least until you come back from baby leave.” Ryo frowned again. “Damn, does that mean I'll have to deal with another partner while you're out?”
 
“Depends,” Dee said. “On whether I can trust that new partner of yours to take care of you while I'm out. But not take care of you too much.”
 
“Don't worry about the second, Dee. I'm yours and soon enough everyone will know that.”
 
“Well, we have a while before we have to deal with that. Vince said we're not even going to discuss when I should start my leave for at least a few more months, as long as there's no complications.”
 
“Damn Dee, as much as I love you, I hate when I get the lectures that were once for you only.” Ryo grinned up at him.
 
Dee leaned over. “You're becoming a bad boy, Ryo.”
 
“Don't look at me like that when we're in the office, Dee,” Ryo warned.
 
Dee laughed and leaned over more to kiss him. Smiling down, he said, “I love you.”
 
“Now that's always allowed,” Ryo smiled. “Love you too, Dee.”
 
Someone knocked on their door. Dee jumped off Ryo's desk. “Come in,” he called out.
 
Diana walked in. “Hey boys. I found out I have to go back to Los Angeles tonight. So I was hoping we can perhaps do lunch together?”
 
“I thought you were planning on staying until after the New Year?” Ryo asked, getting up to greet her.
 
She had already hugged Dee. “That was the original plan.” To Dee, she asked, “How are you feeling today? You know you are looking much better back here in New York than you did in LA.”
 
Dee shrugged. “Don't get me wrong. It was my first time there and I was enjoying seeing the city, going to the few places we got to go, and I wish we got to see more. But… I don't know. I just wanted to be home.”
 
“No worries, Dee. Maybe you might get a chance to go back someday,” she assured him.
 
“Well, as long as I don't get as sick as I do on a plane these days, I wouldn't mind braving a flight out. I'd love to take the Chibi to Disneyland and I know Bikky and maybe even Carol would enjoy it too.”
 
Ryo laughed. “Yeah, we're already planning to take a vacation out there in a few years. Once the baby is a little older.”
 
“So boys, lunch today?”
 
“Sure, why not,” Dee agreed.
 
“I'll be around at noon, my treat. And yes, we're going to some place where Dee won't have trouble ordering,” she said. “See you soon.” She smiled and left the office.
 
Dee and Ryo were just getting back to their work when Drake entered the office. “Hey you two, bar night tonight. And yes, Ryo, JJ is going. So if you say yes, behave.”
 
“I'm not sure, Drake,” Dee stated, looking over to Ryo.
 
“Why not,” Ryo replied to Dee's surprised. “The usual place and time?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“And I'll behave,” Ryo remarked, “but you better have a talk with your partner before then. I think he's going to need a little support anyway.”
 
“Why? What happened?” Drake inquired.
 
“Both Ryo and JJ aren't on Chief's happy list for today,” Dee stated. “Ryo already got it, and JJ will be hearing from Chief too.”
 
Drake looked at Dee. “Oh oh. It's going to be about his jumping you, isn't it?”
 
“Yeah. I guess.”
 
“He's not going to be happy,” Drake remarked. “Guess I'll have to keep an eye on him tonight. Thanks for the heads up. I'll see you later.”
 
Drake walked out of the office.
 
 
*** *** ***
 
Later that evening:
 
Ryo let out a sigh as he looked around the table. Drake was leaning close to JJ, once again telling him that life did not stop because he could not jump Dee at anytime. It turned out Chief had extended the warning to beyond duty hours. JJ was told if Dee came to Chief saying JJ had jumped him at anytime, even in their apartment, JJ would be getting a written report. Upon hearing Chief's terms, Dee had been acting as if it was the end of a reign of terror, while the platinum haired detective acted as if it was the end of the world.
 
Ted was paying more attention to the game on the big screen than what was going on at their table. Ted's partner, Marty, was talking to Diana. Both had decided to join in for a short time. Marty would be leaving soon to head home to his wife and family, while Diana would be going to the airport. They would sometimes bring Dee into the conversation, who's attention was going between everyone at the table and the game Ted was absorbed in.
 
Ryo had agreed to this, thinking they had to assume some normalcy in their routine. Too many questions would be asked that were not to be answered for another two weeks. Ryo did not think about the questions that some changes made in their lifestyle would bring about. It was not easy keeping something like a baby from those closest to them. Especially close friends who knew them very well.
 
Ryo had offered to get the first round of drinks. He had hoped to disguise Dee's drink easy enough by ordering two ginger ales on the rocks with a cherry and put a stirrer in it, requesting that they be made to look like whiskey sours. Yet as Ryo came back with the drinks, questions started immediately. When in a bar, Dee was normally a beer and shot man, who rarely had a mixed drink.
 
At least looking as if it was a whiskey sour, questioning eyes did not go to Ryo, who normally alternated between beer and various mixed drinks. Dee ended up being razzed about getting refined by his partner. Ryo contemplated suggesting to leave when Diana did, with the excuse of seeing her off at the airport.
 
It was about to get worse. Ryo watched as Ted reached back behind him, and instead of picking up his beer bottle, his hand went on Dee's glass. Ted turned, and saw he had miscalculated, but picked up the drink anyway.
 
Dee looked over at that time and noticed Ted holding his drink. “Hey, you have your own,” Dee grumped, going to take the glass from Ted.
 
“I don't smell alcohol,” Ted said, and lifted the glass to his nose. “In fact, this smells like ginger ale.”
 
Dee glared at Ted as he grabbed the glass. “So? I never said it was alcohol,” he said defensively.
 
Drake looked up in amazement. “Wha? Dee's not drinking? In a bar?”
 
“What's that, Ryo?” Ted asked amused, pointing to Ryo's drink.
 
“The same as this, butthead,” Dee snapped.
 
JJ looked over to Dee in concern. “It has to do with that sickness, doesn't it?”
 
Marty now joined in. “Dee, are you certain you're all right?”
 
Dee nodded. “If I wasn't, you think I'd be allowed to work. It's nothing. I'm still on medication, so I shouldn't be drinking. Ryo there is being nice enough to support me, because he knows it's hard for me. Okay?”
 
“Dee's fine everyone,” Ryo spoke up. “I'm sure he appreciates your concern, but if Dee was that bad off, even if he somehow slipped past Chief, I would have been doing what I can to get him off the job. But I'm not. What does that tell you?”
 
Heads nodded around the table.
 
Diana winked at Dee with a grin.
 
“Well,” Drake said to Dee, “I was going to ask if you'd like to join me in stepping out for a smoke, but come to think of it….” He gazed at Dee.
 
Dee shook his head. “Yeah. I don't smoke anymore either.”
 
“No alcohol, no smoking?” Ted said. “I mean, Dee Laytner, the man who said he wanted a cigarette in his mouth when the time came to lay him in a coffin? It just doesn't seem right.”
 
Dee laughed. “Okay, here's the deal. A few weeks back I got something that kicked my ass and wouldn't go away. So I went to the doctor. Yeah, they were able to do something about, but the tests that returned warned me that I had to make a few changes in order for me to continue staying healthy. So that's what I did. That's all there is to it.”
 
“So why did you come here tonight?” Drake asked.
 
Dee shook his head, exchanging a look with Ryo. “If you think Ryo and I join in on these ventures simply to get drunk, you're wrong. We do it because we enjoy hanging out with our friends. And it seems the only time we get to do that is by hanging out in bars. So here we are.”
 
“Dee might have a point there,” JJ said. “Maybe we should plan other things once in a while, other than hanging out in bars.”
 
“Oh really?” Drake asked amused, staring at his partner. “And what would you suggest? I mean it's not like any of us can have a backyard barbeque around here. Well, except for Marty, but then that would mean us having to go into Queens. And most of us only do that for Mets games.”
 
“I don't know,” JJ replied. “Maybe an off day in the park. Go places? There's a great exhibit at the museum….”
 
“Hold it right there, JJ,” Drake cut him off. “Does this remotely look like a group that does field trips to museums? Well, except for Ryo.”
 
“I thought the torture device exhibit was fascinating,” Dee remarked with a smirk.
 
Ted gave Dee a double take, then broke out in laughter, along with everyone else at the table. “Well, I guess that would be interesting. But us as a group in something like that? Chief will probably have to come pick us up.”
 
Ryo snorted. “You know that brings some scary images.”
 
Diana shook her head. “Oh no boys! Stay away from the museums, please. Or other type of cultured field trips.”
 
“No kidding,” Ted remarked. “I mean us? Yes, all of us together, because even Ryo is a trouble magnet.”
 
“I've noticed the more Ryo tries to stay out of trouble in some situations, the more he gets in trouble,” Dee laughed.
 
Marty finished his drink. “Well, if you guys come up with something, let me know. I need to be going now. See everyone in the morning.”
 
They said their good nights to Marty. Diana looked at her watch. “Oh my, I should be going too. As amusing as this is.”
 
Dee stretched. “Okay, not to start another round of discussing my health, but I'm starting to get tired. I'm thinking of how nice sitting on my couch in front of the television would be right about now.”
 
“Well, if you're still needing to take medication, then you're still recovering,” Diana said, lending to their cover.
 
Ted looked over at Ryo. “Since you have the same destination as your roommate there, I suppose you'll be wanting to see that he doesn't get comfortable on a subway seat.”
 
“Yeah. Sorry guys.”
 
“No problems. Just so long as Dee's getting healthy and not sicker,” Drake waved off.
 
Dee, Ryo and Diana took their leave from the group and went outside. Diana offered to drive Dee and Ryo home before driving to the airport, where she would drop off her rental car. The two took her up on her offer.
 
 
A/N: To VgGkYaoiGurl - there will be some lemons here and there in this fic, but most are passed up. As you might have noticed from Dee's comment in the squadroom for Ryo's ears only, Ryo did get his way again with Dee. And definitely not his last time either.
 
Anyway, I hope you all enjoy this chappie. I'm hoping to update again this weekend with the next chapter - it's going to be a bit intense, and I might have to do a quick follow-up with the one after that, because of the flow of events there. I just need to edit them first.