Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Settling ( Chapter 14 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
Chapter 14 - Settling
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
A/N: This chapter goes into the how's and why's of a Carrier's system during pregnancy. I'm no scientist, but I had to come up with something. It worked for the few who got to read this while I was writing it. I hope it does works for everyone else.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
December 20, 2005
 
Tuesday morning, Dee and Ryo woke up extra early to start heading to work. Thankfully the day before, Bikky had started his winter break and would be off until after New Year's. After being dropped off by Diana the night before, Ryo had checked the news, hoping there would not be a transit strike. Unfortunately, there was one Tuesday morning. Which was an inconvenience in what was usually an easy ride on the subway to get to work.
 
It took them over two and a half hours, walking uptown and stopping at different corners before they were able to squeeze into a cab at 26th Street, with two others. When they finally arrived at the precinct, it turned out they were only of a handful who had made it. Others had called in, saying they were still trying to get there.
 
Dee felt drained by the time he gratefully sat in his chair behind his desk. Leaning back, he looked over to Ryo. “Okay, we're here. Now I'm ready to start heading home. Maybe if we leave now, we might be home at a decent time.”
 
Ryo laughed. “I know what you mean. You okay?”
 
Dee nodded. “That was just a pain in the ass.” He had already turned on his computer when they first entered the office. He started to check his email.
 
“I'm going to the break room. I suppose you're wanting some tea?” Ryo asked.
 
“After this morning, I can go for a strong cup of black coffee and a smoke, but it's not going to happen, huh?” He turned pitiful, puppy dog eyes up at Ryo. “Just this once? Please?”
 
Ryo shook his head amused. “Go right ahead Dee. I can't stop you.”
 
Dee glared at Ryo. “You're a bastard sometimes. You know that, right?” He sighed heavily. “You also know I'm not going to do that. Yeah. Tea and it better be peppermint. I don't want any of the fruity stuff.” Dee checked his watch. “Sheesh. No wonder why I'm hungry. It's going on 9. And what the hell time did we wake up to get going? So now we find out if this strike is messing up delivery.”
 
“I wish we were able to stop for breakfast on the way in, but we were running later than I hoped,” Ryo said, looking apologetic.
 
“Hey, don't worry about just me. I can hear your stomach rumbling from here. I'll call the deli down the corner. Worse comes to worse, one of us can run down there to pick it up.”
 
“That sounds like a plan then. I'll get us some hot drinks and you order us breakfast. Don't forget to order yourself some fruit while you're at it.”
 
“Yeah, yeah. Go get those hot drinks. I don't know about you, but I could use something warm about now.”
 
Ryo smiled at Dee and left the office.
 
 
Later that day, they checked out a car to follow-up on a lead for one of the cases they had taken on. As they spoke to the witness, Dee started to feel the first tinges of what he had come to know very well. The night before he had been hit with a little nausea, but nothing that had kept them up like the other nights before. He had hoped it meant he would get a reprieve, even if just for the day. He could not wait until he would be past that part of pregnancy.
 
He barely got through the interview, with Ryo giving him questioning glances throughout. Dee managed to walk out of the apartment on his own, but once they were in the elevator, he leaned against the wall.
 
“Are you okay, Dee?” Ryo asked, brushing his partner's long dark bangs from his face.
 
“Oh, it's hitting and bad,” Dee replied.
 
Ryo ended up helping Dee to the car. They sat in the car, Ryo once again finding himself in the driver's seat, with Dee sitting half in and half out of the car on the passenger side. It was a while until Dee felt he could get all the way in the car and close the door so Ryo could start heading back to the precinct.
 
Back in their office, Dee rested his head on his desk while Ryo went to get some tea for his partner. Dee was grateful that the other guys were all out doing legwork for their cases. After the night before, if any of them saw him as he was, they would start questioning him again, despite the reassurances both Ryo and Dee had given them.
 
Dee knew it would be a huge relief once the others they worked with knew what really was up with Dee. While he had no intention to run all over the precinct after New Year exclaiming his news, it would not matter if anyone else at the 27th found out. Given a few more months, all Dee would have to do is simply walk into the precinct to announce he was pregnant.
 
He was tempted to give up the charade with their friends because it was getting more stressful keeping the truth from them. It wore him out having to be around them, worrying they would end up slipping before the time. Both Dee and Ryo had discussed it extensively while in Los Angeles. They wanted Ryo's aunt to know before their friends. If they had been able to figure out a way to keep it from Diana, they would have for a while longer. The woman was too sharp. Dee smiled as he finally sat up and leaned back in his seat. They did not say a word to her. Dee had merely stepped off the plane and Diana set her eyes on him and she was running up to him, telling him he was pregnant. She probably would have anyway, knowing that woman, but Dee was certain Ryo's behavior waiting for Dee to finally arrive in Los Angeles helped her come to her conclusion. Both Diana and Ryo had filled him in on what he had missed.
 
He wished he had been able to see Ryo in action. Normally the calm and level-headed one, when Ryo blew, it was usually spectacular. He thought of the day before and Ryo handling JJ's pounce.
 
Chief Smith and Commissioner Rose being told when they were, was a good thing. Both men had been extremely supportive, letting Dee know he could take the time he needed, putting his baby's health before his job, and assured he would not be losing pay.
 
Aunt Elena and Uncle Rick would have to be told next, before anyone else. They were, after all, family. Dee had been shocked on Friday when, over dinner, Ryo told him he had spoken to his uncle on the phone because Rick had figured them out. Dee shared Ryo's guilt, but Dee had merely gone along with Ryo's wishes in keeping their relationship quiet from him, just as Elena had. Dee felt sorry for the man. Rick was a good guy. He never gave Dee reason to be wary around him, and, along with Elena, always made him feel like part of the family whenever he would accompany Ryo to visit them in Bay Shore, on Long Island. Dee shook his head. It was small wonder now why Rick had reached out more in the last few months to make Dee feel like family.
 
Once they had family covered, then they could concentrate on friends. Since they were going to tell Elena and Rick that weekend on Christmas Day, it seemed a good idea to throw a New Year's Eve party for their friends and family, and make the announcement official. Dee would be eight weeks by then. They had discussed on when they should tell their friends, at first wanting to wait until Dee was at least three months, but knew they most probably could not hold out that long. After dealing with what he had to already, he was glad they were not going to wait that extra month.
 
Ryo returned with the tea, setting it before Dee and sitting on the desk. “Didn't you take any toast out?” he asked, running his fingers through Dee's hair.
 
Dee shook his head. “I was just barely able to pick my head up.”
 
Ryo opened the desk drawer where Dee, as of the day before, kept his supply of melba toast and crackers, and placed the package on the desk. “There you go.”
 
Dee was already sipping the tea. “I tell you, if this doesn't ease up by quitting time, it's going to really suck. I don't think I'll survive having to go through what we did on the way here.”
 
Ryo smiled gently at him. “We'll figure out something if it comes to that. I can always call a car service now. Then if we have to wait a few hours to be picked up, it should be arriving not long after we're off.”
 
“There's an idea,” Dee agreed, picking up a piece of the toast. He made an odd face.
 
“What's wrong now?” Ryo asked, amused.
 
“It's just… Look at me eating melba toast and drinking tea,” he grumped, then shook his head. “And actually enjoying it.”
 
Ryo broke out in laughter, bending down to kiss Dee's lips. “You're adorable.”
 
Dee grinned up at Ryo. “You know, I seem to realize that I'm getting kissed a helluva lot more in the office these days.”
 
Ryo smiled at him. “I'm just sorry that I had to wait until you got pregnant to finally get off my ass and start doing something I should have been doing years ago.”
 
“Oh really? And what's that?”
 
“Showing you how much I love you, and not care who's looking. And saying, if they don't like it, fuck `em.”
 
Dee's eyes widened. “No shit?”
 
Ryo rolled his eyes. “You haven't noticed that lately?”
 
“Well, thinking about it, some of your glares to that one jerk agent that flew back with us seemed to say just that. Then there was that asshole in Chicago you stood up to. Well now, this is going to get very interesting.”
 
“Not as interesting than if I couldn't bring myself to doing this.”
 
“Yeah, well. That would have been hard on us both, actually. So I'm not complaining.”
 
“I should be getting to work on those reports for this afternoon if we have any hope in getting out of here when we plan,” Ryo stated.
 
Ryo was still sitting on Dee's desk when a knock came to the closed door of their office, followed immediately by it opening. Ryo quickly hopped off Dee's desk.
 
Chief Smith came in, and shook his head. “You can remain sitting there, Randy, if you like.” The Chief closed the door behind him and walked to stand before Dee's desk. “Go on, sit.”
 
Ryo traded glances with Dee, then shrugged, sitting back on Dee's desk.
 
“What's up, Chief?” Dee asked. “I hope it isn't bad news.”
 
“Nothing like that. You two still have that car checked out, don't you?”
 
“Yes Chief,” Ryo replied. “We might have to make another run today. But if we have to, I can check it in now.”
 
Chief shook his head. “No need. I'm authorizing for you to keep it overnight. Dee looked more than frazzled this morning, standing in the cold for I don't know how long it took you both to get a cab.” Chief's eyes went to Dee. “And you're not looking very well now. Are you going to last the day, Dee?”
 
Dee nodded. “I'm starting to feel better. I just had a hit of that so-called morning sickness, but I'll be damned if it's hit in the morning as badly as it does other times of the day.”
 
Chief laughed. “The missus said the same thing about kids #1 and 3. If you need to leave, Dee, just let me know and have Randy drive you home.”
 
“Oh, I think I can stick it in to the end. Especially knowing there's a nice car ride to look forward to at the end of the day,” Dee replied.
 
“Thank you, Chief,” Ryo said, looking relieved.
 
“Now if tomorrow morning this strike is still on, I think it's best you take the day off, Dee. Commissioner Rose is going over the budget right now and see what arrangements we can make to accommodate during this inconvenience. He's especially looking into making things as easy on you and two of our uniformed females, so you can continue to work, but not wear yourselves out just getting into work.”
 
“But Chief, I don't need to take the day off. I mean, I appreciate the gesture and all,” Dee started to protest, “but I really don't want to be treated so differently.”
 
Chief pointed a thick finger in Dee's direction. “You're not, Dee. I'm treating you the same way I'm treating the other pregnant members of our force. And the Commissioner has experience when it's one of our male detectives, thank goodness. He's authorized for the three of you to take tomorrow off. If you do find yourself being treated any differently, it's because the Commissioner says so. He says male pregnancies can be a bit more complex than a female's. So, you best be enjoying hearing me making it an order that you take tomorrow off and relax. Because when you come back after that baby is born, you'll never hear that from me again. Unless of course, you decide to go for another one.”
 
Dee looked up at Ryo, who had been staring at him while the Chief talked. “I'd feel better if you stayed home until they figure out how to handle us during this mess. Anyway, you can keep Bikky company. Maybe take him and Carol out around the neighborhood.”
 
Dee stared at Ryo, then at Chief. He looked back at Ryo. “I suppose you'll be expecting dinner ready by the time you get home too?”
 
Ryo laughed. “Only if that's what you want. I'm perfectly fine with making something when I get home, or having take-out.”
 
“Randy,” Chief cut in, “be reasonable, man. If we don't have something worked out by tomorrow, think of the time you'll probably be getting home. Have something waiting for you.”
 
Dee laughed. “Spoken like a true husband, Chief. I'm sure the missus appreciates it.”
 
“Watch it, Dee,” Chief warned. “So when you boys go out on your next run, let me know. You can go off duty from wherever that is and start going home. Then Randy, I'll see you bright and early, since you'll have the car. Yes?”
 
“Yes Chief,” Ryo replied, trading amused glances with Dee.
 
“Well, that's it then.” Chief turned and left the office, closing the door behind him.
 
Dee stared at the door. “Man, I can't believe that just happened!”
 
“That Chief ordered you to take a day off?”
 
“That too. But during the entire time he was here, I could not form Walrus or Badger once in my mind.”
 
Ryo leaned back, laughing. “This is getting scary, you know.” He got off the desk and leaned down to kiss Dee. “You're looking much better now. Feeling it?”
 
Dee nodded. “Yeah. I'm starting to feel as if I can last the day now for certain. I think I can even concentrate on work too.”
 
“Good.” Ryo headed over to his desk so they could finish up what needed to be done before going out again, especially if it was to be the end of their day.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
December 21, 2005
 
Early Wednesday morning, Ryo had quietly slipped from the bed, kissing Dee, who started to stir, telling him to go back to sleep. Being more than half asleep, to Ryo's relief, Dee did just that. All the rest of the day and through the night, Dee had been hit with waves of nausea as quickly as it would go.
 
Dee had gone to bed early, but still woke up several times during the night. He insisted that Ryo stay in bed, assuring his lover if he needed, he would wake Ryo up.
 
Dee vaguely remembered when Ryo left for work as he woke up later in the morning. Bikky was still sleeping, making Dee wonder if the kid had slept away the day before. He decided to let the boy sleep in for a while longer, finally waking him up when breakfast was ready.
 
Dee and Bikky were on their way to meet Carol, since Dee had promised to go shopping with the two around noon. They had just left the building when Dee's cell phone started to ring.
 
“Ryo, I bet,” Bikky laughed.
 
Dee looked at the number on his phone. “No bet,” he said with a smile and answered, “I'm fine, babe. Bikky's fine. We're on our way to meet up with Carol to do some shopping along Broadway.”
 
“Well, I love you too, Dee,” Ryo laughed in response. “You're lucky I was afraid of waking you up.”
 
“Stop worrying.”
 
“Still having that come and go sickness?”
 
“Mild. Nothing that's stopping me from taking Biks and the princess shopping,” Dee replied. “How's it going at work?”
 
“Crazy. Chief said something about possibly putting some of us up in a hotel for the duration of the strike if it lasts through tomorrow. Which means you'll be coming in and we'll be put up for the night. Can you check if Bikky can stay with Mother? I hate imposing on Carol's aunt all the time.”
 
“I can call Mother and give her a just in case heads up. How does that sound?”
 
“Great. Thanks, Dee. Hey, if you were planning on making dinner, don't worry about me tonight. I don't know when I'll be home.”
 
Dee frowned. “What's going on?” he asked.
 
“Don't start worrying. I just have to make a trip up to Westchester after work for some Christmas shopping.”
 
“You're up to something, Ryo,” Dee teased him.
 
“Well, they didn't have what I'm looking for in any of the stores down here in Manhattan, but I can get it up there. So I'll just jump on the Metro-North from 125th Street, then take it down to Grand Central on the way home. I'll probably end up grabbing something to eat along the way.”
 
“So Bikky and I are fending for ourselves tonight, huh? Okay.”
 
“You sure you're okay with that?” Ryo seemed uncertain.
 
“Jesus Ryo, pregnant people have been left alone before. I'll be fine. The worse that could happen is I'm going to let Bikky decide what he wants for dinner tonight and let him have it. Depending on whether I can eat it or not, I might join him.”
 
Dee chuckled as Bikky looked up at him. He could see that Bikky already was considering all his options.
 
Ryo laughed. “Yeah, yeah. I know. Forgive me for being a bit concerned for you. If you need me, I'll have my cell whenever I'm not in the office.”
 
“And I'll call if I need. But don't worry about it. Of course, I could always get bored and start giving you hourly calls just because.”
 
“Don't start getting like Marty's wife,” Ryo warned jokingly.
 
Dee laughed, because that was exactly who he was thinking of when he said that. The poor man received several calls a day from his wife just to talk. All the other detectives teased Marty about it. “Hey wait. What did you just say? I mean, about traveling.”
 
“Metro-North? I considered it already. We'd still have to get up to 42nd in the morning and make sure we get there in time to catch the train. Then we'd have to get up to 125th to go home. It'll be a bigger hassle. We'll still have to get a cab.”
 
“Yeah, I guess. Oh well, give my regards to the others, will ya? Uh, did they have anything to say about my having off?”
 
“Oh, I just told them you had a follow-up exam today and with the strike and all, it was just better not to come in. I have Chief and the Commissioner backing me up on the story.”
 
“Ryo, I am going to be so glad when they know. This is getting to be a pain in the ass. Too much stress.”
 
“Well, we're halfway through this week. JJ and Drake have Monday off because they're working Christmas Eve. Before you know it, it'll be party time. So just hang in there.”
 
“Whatever. Well, happy shopping. I hope you get what you're looking for.”
 
“Oh, I know I will. Enjoy your day with Bikky and Carol. If I'm running really late, I'll call you. Love you, Dee.”
 
“Love you too, baby.” Dee hung up the phone and put it back in his pocket. “Big Daddy checking in on us,” he remarked to Bikky.
 
“What's Ryo up to?” Bikky asked as they continued to walk down the street.
 
“He wants to do some shopping up in Westchester after work, and doesn't know what time he'll be back. So it's you and me tonight. I believe there's some games on. So pick whatever you want for dinner and we'll just be couch potatoes. Sound good, kiddo?”
 
Bikky nodded his head.
 
 
 
By mid-afternoon, Dee was glad he had stayed home. He started to cramp badly. They had to cut their shopping spree short, Dee thankful they had stayed within walking distance from home. He dropped onto the couch in relief when they finally got home, and did not move for a while. Bikky was getting concerned, ready to call Ryo. Dee got him to stop by calling Vince. Dee already had an idea what it was and Vince confirmed it. It was around the time the tiny embryo was preparing to become a fetus, and Dee's body had to go through some changes to adapt and provide for the fetus. The cramping would ease up for a while before starting again. Dee started to feel better late afternoon. He was still cramping, but was able to ignore it.
 
Bikky was on the phone with Carol while Dee was in the kitchen making dinner. The teen heard a crash come from the kitchen and found Dee curled up on the kitchen floor, crying out in pain.
 
“Dee!” Bikky cried out, rushing into the kitchen. He skidded on his knees to come up beside Dee, placing a hand on his adopted father's shoulder. “What's wrong?”
 
Dee gasped. “Just give me a moment.” He curled up more.
 
“Dee? Should I call Ryo? That doctor?” Bikky was starting to panic.
 
Dee shook his head and took a deep breath. He managed to uncurl, but not without wincing. “I'm going to try to get into bed. Okay?” The cramping started to ease up some. He touched the scared boy. “It's what we had explained. Only it hurts more than I figured. I'll be okay, Bikky,” he assured. “So will the baby.”
 
“Are you sure, Dee?” Bikky stared at Dee with wide, frightened eyes.
 
“Yeah, kiddo.” He started to sit up, and Bikky scrambled to help him. Dee sat for a minute, making sure the cramping remained only mild and not start up full force again. He looked at Bikky, who sat close to him on the floor. “Once this passes, the baby will be in something like a uterus. Since I'm not female, I don't have one already made.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“I guess the baby settled in place where it will continue to grow and now a uterine sac is forming around it. Kinda like a temporary uterus for the baby.”
 
“Oh. Right. You should get to bed. Do you need any help, Dee?”
 
“Hate to ask, but….” Dee glanced down looking uncomfortable.
 
Bikky placed a hand on Dee's shoulder. “It's okay, Dee. I'll do what I can, okay? Just take it easy. We'll get you comfortable and then…. Is there anything else you'll need.”
 
“Hold… on…” Dee said through clenched teeth, then doubled over again. He rode out the wave of pain, then allowed Bikky to help him back into a sitting position. Taking advantage of a moment of reprieve where he felt just minor cramping, he managed to get on his feet without Bikky having to do most of the work. It took a little struggling, but Bikky finally had Dee settled in bed.
 
A little later, Bikky had come back to the bedroom with some water for Dee. Dee was propped up on the pillows against the headboard. “Bikky, listen to me,” Dee said, his eyes concerned. “I don't want to scare you, but I might pass out here and there. The doctor said it'll be normal. Okay? So don't go freaking out if that happens.” He waited until Bikky nodded his head. “But just in case, if I'm out for more than a half hour, call the doctor.” He gave Bikky a reassuring grin, or tried to. He was certain nothing was going to go wrong, but the pain was still a bit too much to look as assuring has he had hoped. “Do me a favor, will you?”
 
“Sure Dee.”
 
“Go get me some yogurt. Doctor said try not to get an empty stomach.”
 
“Okay. I'll be right back.”
 
When Bikky left the room, Dee started to double over again, gasping in pain, trying to be quiet about it, hoping he would be able to pull himself together by the time his son came back with the yogurt.
 
Bikky was still scared when he returned. Dee did not eat the yogurt all at one time. Bikky sat by Dee on the bed for a while. The second time Dee was doubled over in pain that had him crying out, unable to hold it back, Bikky called Carol asking if she could come over. Later when, despite Dee's assurances, when Dee passed out, Bikky decided to risk his adoptive father's wrath and called Ryo's cell phone.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
Ryo was at the Rye, NY train station after Harry dropped him off. Dee's Christmas gift was deep in his inside coat pocket. The ring came out better than Ryo had expected. It was a wide band of white gold in the pattern of a Celtic love knot. In the center sat a deep blue stone, set into the band, with the top of the stone flush with the band so it did not stand out above the band.
 
He was waiting for the commuter train to take him back to the city from the suburban town north of New York City. Rye was closer to Connecticut than New York City, yet many in the area commuted to and from work in the city. At least he would be able to get down to Grand Central Station at 42nd Street. Then he'd have to wait to finally get a cab that had room for one more person, or walk from there. It was a pain in the ass having to make this trip during a transit strike, but once Ryo saw the ring, it was worth the hassle.
 
Dee was worth the hassle.
 
His cell phone rang and he noticed it was his home number. He felt a prick of fear as he went to answer it. Dee was not the type to call and check in on Ryo, unless he had something he needed to tell him, especially knowing how difficult things would be in traveling with the strike on.
 
“Hello,” he answered.
 
“Ryo!” he heard Bikky's frantic voice. “Dee's sick.”
 
“Calm down, Bikky,” he instructed his adopted son, forcing his own voice level, despite his heart pounding wildly with fear. “What's wrong?”
 
“Dee told me it's normal, something about the baby settling, but when he's up, he's really in lots of pain. He passed out for a few minutes, but he's up now. I can hear him.”
 
“What's Dee doing right now?”
 
“He's on the bed, curled up in a ball. He hasn't moved in over an hour, even when he's awake. And he's crying! He says it's `cause of the pain, but… Ryo, Dee doesn't cry! Not even from pain! I'm scared.”
 
“Shit!” Ryo forced another calming breath, regretting the outburst that most probably did not help Bikky. “Bikky, Dr. Siworski warned us that it could be quite painful for Dee, lasting up to a day. I guess despite the warning, it's hard to imagine what very painful means until it hit Dee. Okay?”
 
“Yeah, Ryo.”
 
“Now, when he passes out, have you noticed for how long?”
 
“Dee told me to watch. Only a few minutes. He said if he's out more than a half hour to call the doctor.”
 
“That's good. Then it's normal so far, as scary as it might seem to you. And to Dee. Just keep watching him, Bikky. I'm on my way home now, but it's going to take me a while to get there. Look Biks, I know what Dee's going through is normal, but I'm going to call Dr. Siworski anyway to be safe. Okay? I don't want you to panic thinking that I'm keeping things from you.”
 
“I understand. Better to be safe, right?”
 
“That's right, Bikky. If the doctor has any questions, I'll have him call you. Answer him best you can. See if maybe Dee can talk to him. You got that?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Bikky, Dee's going to be all right. Okay, bud?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Is it just you and Dee there?”
 
“No. Carol's here. She's in with Dee right now.”
 
“Good. I'm waiting for a commuter train. It should be coming soon and it'll be another hour before I'm at Grand Central. It'll probably be the quickest way to get that far down into the city, so I'm going to wait for the train. Then I'll do my best in getting home as quick as I can from there.”
 
“Okay, Ryo.”
 
“Call me if you need to. Okay bud? I mean even if it's just to talk. Got that?”
 
“Yeah, Ryo. Ryo, I'm….”
 
“He'll be fine, Bikky. I'll probably call to check in on you a few more times if I don't hear from you. And don't be afraid to call me if you need. Remember that the doctor might be calling too.”
 
“Yeah. Thanks, Ryo.”
 
“Thank you, Bikky. I bet Dee doesn't know you called.”
 
“No, he doesn't. You know how Dee is. He'd be worried about you worrying and not take care of himself.”
 
“Yeah, I know how it is.” Ryo chuckled despite his own fear. He knew just how Dee, and even he, could get. “Talk to you soon, bud.”
 
Once the call was disconnected, Ryo started to shake. He started to tell himself the same things he had just said to Bikky while he had been forcing himself to stay calm for the boy's sake. It probably was normal, but finding himself so far from Dee and unable to get there in any short time just made him anxious and worried. He needed to be there, with Dee, helping him get through this difficult phase of the pregnancy.
 
He was thankful he thought to put Vince's number on speed dial. “Vince,” he blurted out the moment he heard the phone answered. “It's Randy MacLean, Dee Laytner's partner.”
 
“Hello Randy. Take a deep breath. Yes, Dee already called me. You know what's going on with him, don't you?” Vince answered.
 
“Settling, I guess. I know you said it's painful, but….” Ryo took a deep breath. “I'm sorry. It's probably normal and here I am calling you at home when you're not working.”
 
“Randy, I'm always working. One thing I love about David is that he understands the demands of my job. And this is the first time for both of you. You're going to be nervous. So is Dee. Believe it or not, I was once there myself. I'd rather you call me only for it to be nothing, than for you not to call, only to have something happen.”
 
“Well, I guess I'm just more than a bit frantic. I'm stuck waiting for a train in Rye, and Bikky's there with Dee. Dee's in a lot of pain, and the poor kid is freaking out. I'm thinking of calling Dee's mother, but she's up on the upper west side and an older woman. I don't want to worry her and I know it won't be easy for her to get to our place with the strike. And… I'm babbling. Sorry.”
 
“That's okay, Randy. You live in Soho, if I recall.”
 
“Yeah. We do.”
 
“I live in the area myself. I can go over there and take a look at Dee, and also see what I can do in calming your son.”
 
“Vince, I couldn't ask you to….”
 
“You're not. I'm offering. Remember, I've got kids of my own and I know how I would feel in your position. So I want you to take a deep breath and calm yourself. And don't do anything rash thinking it would get you home sooner. I'll stay at your place until you get home, whatever time it is.”
 
“You'll call if something is wrong, will you?” Ryo asked.
 
“I'll call once I get there and check Dee out, so you know he's fine.”
 
“Vince, I don't know what to say.”
 
“No need, Randy. That's why I'm here. I'll talk to you soon.”
 
“Thank you,” he said, his relief and gratitude obvious in his tone. He heard the call disconnect. Leaning back in his seat, he tried to calm himself down. Instead he ended up calling his home number again.
 
“Hello,” he heard Carol answer.
 
“Hi Carol. Where's Bikky?” Ryo forced his voice to remain neutral.
 
“He's with Dee. Trying to help Dee drink some water,” Carol replied.
 
“How are you kids holding out?”
 
“It's scary, Ryo. And Bikky… well, he's really scared for Dee.”
 
“Listen princess, I just got off the phone with Dee's doctor. He lives in the neighborhood, so he's on his way over to check on Dee and stay with your guys. Okay?”
 
He heard Carol's breath of relief. “That would be good, Ryo. I'm sure it's nothing more than what Dee says it is, but sometimes…. Well, I can see Dee's getting scared too. And that's not good.”
 
“I know. Try to keep him calm until Vince comes. Yeah, I know that's quite a job with Dee.” Ryo tried to make his voice sound teasing.
 
“He seems better when Bikky's around him. I mean, it still hurts and all, but he doesn't seem to start panicking like when it was just with me.”
 
“Ah,” Ryo replied thoughtfully. “Okay. Well, keep Bikky near him then and try to calm Bikky down. My guess is Dee doesn't want to scare him too much. Dee's doctor's name is Vince Siworski.”
 
“Okay, Ryo. I'll keep a watch for him. How are you holding up?”
 
Ryo shook his head. “I'm fine. I should be home in…. damn, at least another two hours, if I'm lucky. Look, the train is coming, so I'm going to hang up now. I'll check in when I'm at Grand Central.”
 
“Bye Ryo.”
 
 
 
 
A little over an hour later, Ryo rushed through Grand Central Station to the street, hoping he would be lucky to catch a cab right away. While he was on the train, Vince called saying Dee was having an extreme reaction, but nothing to be concerned about. As he got off the train, he had called home again. Vince answered. Dee was sleeping, Bikky and Carol were fed and Vince had hoped Ryo did not mind him making himself at home and watching the game on their television. Ryo did not mind at all.
 
He did realize it was stupid of him to expect to grab a cab right away in front of the station on 42nd Street. That was hard to do under normal conditions. Setting a brisk pace, Ryo started to walk toward Park Avenue, where if he didn't get a cab by then, he decided he'd start walking south until he got one.
 
An hour later, he found himself rushing through the hallway to enter the apartment he shared with Dee. Entering the living room, he noticed Vince sitting calmly on the couch, turning in Ryo's direction.
 
“Dee's sleeping. He woke up for a little bit, and suggested that Bikky walk Carol home,” Vince offered.
 
Ryo walked over to the couch. “How is he?”
 
“Dee will probably sleep through most of the night and be a little achy, with a major hit of sickness in the morning, but by the afternoon he should be fine after getting more sleep,” Vince informed him. “Bikky will survive without any traumatic effects. And yes, you can go see Dee. Just be quiet,” Vince informed Ryo.
 
“Thank you, Vince.”
 
Ryo entered the bedroom, noting a dim light was on. Anxiously he looked at the bed to find Dee on his side, slightly curled up and sleeping. Gently he sat on the bed, letting out a sigh of relief. He still had his coat on and patted the inside pocket for the hundredth time to find the box with the ring was still in it. His other hand smoothed back the damp hair from Dee's face. He leaned to gently kiss Dee's flushed cheek.
 
Dee's head moved and he opened his eyes to look up at Ryo. “You're home or am I dreaming?” he asked in a low, tired voice.
 
“I'm home, love. Go back to sleep now. Once Vince leaves, I'll be right here next to you, if you like.”
 
“I'd like that. Hold me now, Ryo. Even just for a minute?”
 
“Of course, baby. I can do that.” Ryo quickly took off his coat and placed it on a nearby chair before sliding onto the bed, taking Dee into his arms.
 
Dee sighed, resting his head against Ryo's shoulders. “This feels better.”
 
“How are you feeling?” He kissed the top of Dee's head.
 
“Still hurts, but it's kinda like a dull ache. Vince said it would be like that for a while.”
 
“Thank goodness for Vince,” Ryo said. “He's a good man. Which reminds me, he's still in the living room. I really should thank him, and get him on his way. I'm sure he wants to go home to his family.”
 
“Yeah. Hurry back?”
 
Ryo kissed Dee's forehead. “You bet.”
 
Ryo grabbed his coat when he stood up and left the bedroom. Back in the living room, Vince looked up at him. “So is it Randy or Ryo?” he asked amused.
 
Ryo chuckled with amusement. “Both. Randy is my name, but those close to me call Ryo. You can use either,” Ryo explained.
 
“Where does Ryo come from?”
 
“Oh, my mother is half-Japanese. My grandparents gave her an American first name and Japanese middle name. So when I was born, my dad indulged her and allowed her to give me a Japanese middle name. Turns out both my parents usually called me Ryo. And my dad's sister. The rest of my family calls me Randy, and I usually introduce myself as the same. Friends usually call me both. Except for Dee. He's always called me Ryo. Which was how my friends started to call me that.” He smiled tenderly thinking of the first time Dee came into his life.
 
“So, planning on carrying on that tradition?”
 
“I don't know. Honestly, I didn't think about it. Dee and I decided we weren't going to think about names for a couple of months at least. By then we should know what we're having. I'll have to see what Dee thinks about it.”
 
“Well, everything seems under control over here. That Bikky,” Vince chuckled. “You have a fine boy there, I don't mind saying.”
 
“Yeah, but we got Bikky the easy way,” Ryo laughed weakly. “But we love him as if he's our own. Until not too long ago, we were thinking he would be our only child.”
 
“He seems like he's going to make a good big brother. He was scared for Dee, but he also kept asking if the baby was going to be okay.”
 
Ryo smiled. “He tries to act otherwise, but he is excited over this. He knows this baby is only an addition to the family we already have.”
 
“A family you should be proud of. Both you and Dee. You look tired yourself. I suggest a nice hot shower and cozy up to your partner in there, and you'll feel better in the morning.”
 
Ryo laughed, running a hand through his bangs to push them out of his eyes. “Doctor's advice?”
 
“Of course. Part of my job is to make sure the other father doesn't run himself in the ground.” He winked at Ryo. “I know my way out. Remember, I don't care how stupid it may seem to you or Dee, call me whenever you're uncertain. And that's doctor's orders.”
 
“Thanks Vince. I'll remember. And I'll remember this too. I really appreciate it.”
 
“No problem.”
 
 
Ryo had just gotten out of the shower when Bikky arrived home. Dressed in a pair of comfortable pajamas, Ryo entered the living room to check on Bikky.
 
“Oh, you're home!” Bikky exclaimed when he saw Ryo.
 
“Yeah. I've been home for a while.” He sat down on the couch, patting the space next to him. “How are you doing?”
 
Bikky sat on the couch and actually scooted close to Ryo as if drawing comfort from his presence. He nodded. “It was really scary there for a while, but Doc Vince managed to get Dee to calm down a lot. I'm still worried. Is he okay?”
 
“He's still sleeping.” Ryo ran his hand through Bikky's blonde hair and smiled softly. “Vince says he's going to be just fine. And so is the baby. So stop worrying about it. I'm sorry you had to be here alone with Dee when it happened.”
 
“That's okay,” Bikky said with a shrug. “It's not like you knew this was going to happen today.”
 
“I knew it was going to be happening soon. This week or next, because by the time Dee is in his 8th week, the uterine sac has to be in place,” Ryo explained.
 
“Yeah. Doc Vince told me and Carol all about that. But it didn't make it any less scary. I think Dee will agree,” Bikky stated. “I mean he was almost hysterical at one point because it hurt so much. I think he started to think something was wrong with the baby.”
 
Ryo frowned a little. “Yeah, that probably would make Dee hysterical. So are you going to survive this so you can get stuck helping us with your baby brother or sister?”
 
Bikky nodded. “Yeah. Thanks, Ryo. I'm going to go into my room now.”
 
“Okay. I'm probably going to stay in ours with Dee anyway.”
 
Bikky made a face. “Remember Dee's still hurting.”
 
Ryo laughed, ruffling Bikky's hair. “Go on, you. Oh wait! Have you eaten anything tonight?”
 
“Well, Dee was starting dinner when it happened. But Doc Vince came over with some lasagna that he heated up for Carol and me. And salads. He made us eat the salads.”
 
“I like Vince more and more,” Ryo mused. “Okay, well since you're fed, you're on your own. Just don't make a mess.”
 
“I won't Ryo.”
 
Ryo hugged Bikky, then got up from the couch. He entered the bedroom, and slipped under the sheets until his body was against Dee's back. He placed his arms around his sleeping lover and held him tightly. Planting a soft kiss on Dee's neck, he murmured, “I love you, Dee.”
 
Dee let out a happy sigh, snuggling further into Ryo's embrace for a reply.