Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Settling Down ( Chapter 15 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
Chapter 15 - Settling Down
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
 
December 21, 2005
 
Ryo woke up in the middle of the night to realize he was alone in the bed. Looking around the room, he sleepily called out, “Dee?”
 
At that moment, he knew what had awakened him. A groan had come from their private bathroom. Ryo jumped out of the bed and rushed over, opening the door. “Dee?” he called out again.
 
He looked in and found Dee sitting on the toilet, doubled over, arms hugging his stomach. His eyes were squeezed shut, and he looked as if he was in a lot of pain. He let out another pain-filled groan before lifting his head. “Ryo….”
 
Ryo was on his knees before Dee in a second, pulling the hurting man into his arms. “Again, baby?”
 
Dee nodded. “Vince… he said… it might…. Oh shit!” he cried out. Tears started to leak from beneath tightly closed eyes. He let out several more groans.
 
“Shouldn't you be in bed?” Ryo asked.
 
“I… can't move,” Dee stammered, then cried out in pain again.
 
Ryo held him tightly, not sure what else he could do. He suddenly felt more sorry for Bikky. He understood why the boy had panicked so badly, so easily admitted to being scared. Ryo felt scared too, but he fought to keep it from showing. Dee did not need him to panic. He found the center of calm he usually reached for whenever he was in sharpshooter mode. He felt Dee move his arms and flung them around Ryo's neck. Pressing his face into Ryo's shoulder, he started to sob. From the sound of it, it was from the pain. Ryo suddenly realized what Bikky meant by Dee crying. And it scared him as much as Bikky was scared. Dee did not cry. He also felt Dee tense up more as the sobbing had a terrified tone to them.
 
Ryo knew then what to do. He kissed the side of Dee's head. “Easy there, baby. I know it hurts, but you need to relax.”
 
“I… I can't,” Dee gasped.
 
“Sure you can,” Ryo assured him, gently rubbing his lips on Dee's ear. He released his tight hold on Dee so he could stroke his lover's back in a soothing comforting gesture with one hand, while he ran his fingers through Dee's hair. “Come on, baby. It hurts more when you tense up like that, doesn't it?”
 
Dee nodded. “It's just… it… it f-feels like….”
 
“Like there's something terribly wrong with you right now, but there isn't.”
 
“B-but the b-baby….”
 
“Will be fine too. You're going through this to assure that the baby will have a nice safe place to grow.” He nuzzled Dee's ear again. “Both you and the baby are going to be fine, love. Now relax for me. Even just a little.”
 
To Ryo's relief, as he softly spoke to Dee, he felt the other man start to relax in his arms.
 
“Ryo,” Dee sighed, then cried out in pain again.
 
“Relax Dee. Deep breath.”
 
“Y-yeah….” He felt Dee slump against him. “Don't let me go,” Dee whispered.
 
“Never.”
 
He continued to stroke Dee's back, and running his fingers through the dark hair in the manner he knew usually soothed Dee, while murmuring assurances and words of love softly in Dee's ear.
 
At last he heard a soft sigh and the man in his arms was lax. “Dee?” he asked.
 
“Hmmm?”
 
“You okay now?”
 
“Keep holding me.”
 
“Of course. But maybe now is a good time to get you into bed, unless you think you're actually going to need the toilet.”
 
“No. Needed to take a leak and then it hit me.”
 
Dee sounded tired and worn.
 
“Well then bed it is. Then I can make you more comfortable.”
 
“Don't let go.” Dee grabbed to hold him tighter.
 
“I'm not, love. I'm going to stand up now, and I want you to stand up too. You can hold onto me as tight as you like. Okay?”
 
Dee nodded his head.
 
“Count of 3.”
 
“Okay.”
 
“One… two… three….” He slowly got up from his knees to his feet, practically pulling Dee up on his own strength. Dee merely held on tightly. Ryo's grip on Dee tightened when the other man whimpered in pain. “Shh… it's okay, baby.” He stood for a few moments holding onto Dee, allowing his lover to cling to him. He assessed the situation and realized Dee was not going to move on his own. The man he held did not have any strength at the moment to move. They could either wait in the bathroom until Dee gained some strength back, whenever that would be. Or….
 
“Dee, hang on. I'm about to do something I never thought I would ever do. So don't get too used to it, because this will not be a habit.”
 
“Hmmm?” Dee asked, face still pressed into Ryo's shoulder.
 
Ryo shook his head, smiling softly at Dee. “I love you,” he whispered in Dee's ear, then kissed it softly. “I love you so much.”
 
He felt Dee's mouth curl into a smile against his shoulder.
 
“Okay, here goes. I know I can do this.”
 
“Do what?” Dee asked, still not moving yet.
 
“This.”
 
Ryo quickly released one of his arms and moved away from Dee a little. Just as his partner started to protest about the lost contact, Ryo bent down enough to sweep the arm behind Dee's legs. Dee let out a gasp, part in pain, part in surprise, as he found himself being carried in Ryo's arms. There was no further protest. He merely placed his head against Ryo's shoulders and smiled. “I love you too,” Dee sighed as Ryo started to leave the bathroom.
 
It was no more than ten steps from the doorway of their private bathroom and the bed. Gently he set Dee down on the bed and crawled onto the mattress alongside his weakened partner. He moved so he partially covered his partner, feeling the other man's arms go around him again.
 
A few minutes later, he realized Dee's arms went lax. Ryo lifted his head to study the man partially under him. Dee's eyes were closed, but his breathing told Ryo he was not sleeping. He shook Dee's shoulder slightly. “Love?”
 
“Ummm….” He snuggled closer to Ryo. “Just want to lay here quietly.”
 
“Sure.”
 
“Keep holding me.”
 
“I'm here, baby. I'm not going anywhere.”
 
 
Dee went through four more waves of pain after that until he was finally deep asleep, as completely worn out as he appeared when Ryo had returned home earlier that evening. Thankfully he was not tense, all indication of pain or cramping gone from Dee's lax body. His breathing was even and soft, making the sound that was not quiet a snore that told Ryo he was peacefully sleeping. Dee still did not release his hold on Ryo. Ryo gently settled himself to get as comfortable as possible while holding Dee, because he was not going to go anywhere until he heard from Dee himself that he was ready to be released.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
December 22, 2005
 
Ryo awoke the next morning to find Dee half awake, sleepily watching him from his position of laying next to Ryo.
 
“How are you feeling, love?” Ryo asked, studying him.
 
“Tired. But no pain,” Dee replied, then yawned.
 
“That's good.” He started to rub Dee's back. “Maybe you should get some food in to you?”
 
“I am a little hungry.” Dee rested his head by Ryo's shoulder. “Could sleep some more,” he mumbled.
 
“Why don't you, after I feed you. I need to call you in too and hopefully I can get today off too.”
 
`Ryo…. I'm sorry,” Dee said in a low voice, sounding ashamed.
 
Ryo caressed his cheek. “Don't apologize for something you had no control over. Now let me go make a phone call, get us some breakfast, and then get you comfortable to sleep a little more. Okay?” He kissed the side of Dee's head.
 
“Only if….” Dee left the sentence hanging. He moved his head to gaze up at Ryo.
 
“If what?”
 
Dee lifted his head. “You kiss me. I mean really kiss me.”
 
“Come here, you,” Ryo replied, moving closer to press his lips against Dee's.
 
 
 
Not long later, after a stop in the bathroom, Ryo was calling Rose's direct line as he boiled water for tea and oatmeal, brewed coffee for himself and cut some fruit up to go with the oatmeal.
 
“Commission Rose, sir, it's Ryo,” he said when he heard the Commissioner answer.
 
“Ryo,” Rose greeted. “You and Dee having problems getting into work today?”
 
“I didn't start yet, sir. Dee won't be in and I don't know when I'll be able to leave.”
 
“Is Dee okay, Ryo?” Rose asked in concern.
 
“Dee went through Settling last night. He's still wiped.”
 
Ryo heard the sharp intake of breath, but the relief of it being something expected was in Rose's voice as he spoke. “Enough said. I'll see you tomorrow, Ryo. Tell Dee to come back when he's feeling up to it.” The Commissioner sounded sympathetic.
 
“Thank you, sir. I'll tell Dee what you said.”
 
“I'll let Chief Smith know. Dee's going to need you today. I believe Tyler called it the point of no return. From then on, he had no doubt he was pregnant. Just give him lots of love today, along with keeping him fed.”
 
“The love part is easy, sir,” Ryo found himself saying without thinking. “Nothing I haven't been doing for years now.”
 
“Is he over the hard part yet?”
 
“I believe so. It's been over four hours since the last hit.”
 
“Tyler ended up going through it while he was with me. We were waiting for his husband to get there, but until then, I was all he had. Scariest thing, seeing someone like Tyler break into tears. I don't think I can comprehend the pain he was going through that would make him cry.”
 
Ryo found himself nodding in agreement. “I know,” he said quietly.
 
“Well, I'll see you tomorrow, Ryo. Tell Dee to take care of himself.”
 
“I will, sir. Thank you again.”
 
Ryo hung up the phone and poured himself a cup of coffee. He started to drink it as he opened packages of oatmeal into bowls.
 
He turned at the sound of someone entering the kitchen. “Good morning, Bikky,” he greeted cheerfully.
 
“Morning, Ryo. How's Dee? I heard him a couple of times last night.”
 
“He's okay this morning. And I think the three of us need a nice lazy day today. Want some breakfast?”
 
Bikky shook his head. “Not yet. I'll grab some cereal later. I guess you and Dee are staying home today.”
 
“Yeah we are. Dee needs to recover and I'm glad I could try to get some sleep here and there today.”
 
“Guess I'll go back to sleep. I got up to go to the bathroom and heard you in the kitchen.”
 
Ryo ruffled the boy's hair. “Everything is under control, Biks. So I want you to stop worrying and go get some sleep. I might need you to run to the store this afternoon.”
 
Bikky grinned sheepishly up at Ryo. “Well… thanks. And yeah, I'll go.” He left the kitchen.
 
 
 
Ryo returned to the bedroom with a tray that had Dee's tea on it, apple juice for both of them, along with two bowls of oatmeal and some sliced fruit. He found Dee sitting on the edge of the bed.
 
“I had to take a leak,” Dee said, looking up at Ryo entering the room, “and actually managed to stumble back.”
 
“Still hurting?”
 
“Achy, but not painful. Especially after that.” Dee let out a groan. “More like my muscles are protesting to move.”
 
“Your body went through quite a workout. No wonder it hurts to move,” Ryo said. “We have the day off. So I'm looking forward to spending at least the morning cozy and snuggling up with you in bed.”
 
Ryo noted that Dee still looked very weak and pale, but decided not to say anything unless Dee mentioned it first.
 
He moved to the bed with the tray. “Sit back, so I can set this down. Then you can make sure nothing spills while I get comfortable.”
 
Dee smiled as he propped the pillows up on both sides of the bed, then scooted over to lean against one set of pillows. He took the tray from Ryo, who walked over to the other side of the bed. He climbed onto the bed and snuggled up against Dee.
 
“This is nice,” Dee sighed.
 
“Yes it is.”
 
They ate their breakfast in comfortable silence, stealing brief kisses from the other as they ate.
 
“Ryo, I'm sorry,” Dee said suddenly into the silence as he pushed away the bowl with only a little left of his oatmeal.
 
Ryo looked surprised. “For what?”
 
Dee shook his head and sighed. “I didn't mean to scare Bikky. I tried not to, but…. Hell, Ryo. I was scared. I've never been so freakin' scared in my life. I kept trying to tell myself that it was normal, but it hurt so much, it didn't feel like it was right.” He rested his head against the pillow. “It felt like all my insides were being twisted and tied up, then squeezed through my balls. Okay, my balls weren't involved in the actual pain, but that's the best description I can come up with. That was bad enough. I didn't want to. I tried so hard not to, but dammit, I couldn't help crying.” He covered his face with his hand. “Then this unreasonable fear that if my insides were being squeezed so badly, what was happening to the baby? I couldn't help it by then. And each time it got that bad. I could not help think that the baby was being squeezed to death. The problem was the more I tensed up, the worse it got, the more I tensed up.” He dropped his hand to look over at Ryo. “But you figured that out, and was able to get me to relax easier.”
 
Ryo placed his arms around Dee and held him. “You did fine, love. It looks like the worst is over.”
 
Dee nodded. “I haven't felt this clear or coherent since it first hit yesterday.” Dee made a face and put a hand under his tee-shirt. “Holy shit. I'm getting soft already.”
 
“Let's see,” Ryo remarked, amused.
 
Dee froze a little.
 
“C'mon, Dee. Don't go getting shy on me now.”
 
Dee sighed and allowed Ryo to lift his shirt.
 
“Holy….” Ryo smiled tenderly, placing his hand on the slight swell of soft flesh.
 
Dee had started to lose the definition on his abs during the last week. “You're smoothing now,” Ryo replied, his voice filled with awe.
 
Dee sighed from Ryo's touch. “It doesn't look like a roll of fat, does it?” Oh God, I'm getting soft and fat!”
 
“You're becoming beautiful with baby, Dee. Not fat. Let me see something here.” Ryo moved so his head was near Dee's stomach. He kissed the soft flesh and smiled. “There's a baby there, Dee. There's a little life that both you and I created. If that isn't beauty, I don't know what it.”
 
Dee closed his eyes, leaning further against the pillows, his fingers running through Ryo's hair. He let out another sigh as Ryo kissed him on his belly again. Dee opened one eye and peered down at the chestnut colored head resting on his lap, dark brown eyes staring up at him.
 
“It's because you made me this way,” Dee said. The look in the single jade eye expressed exactly what Dee meant.
 
Ryo laughed. “Guess I had something to do with it.”
 
His hand caressed Dee's smoothing abs, the skin feeling even softer to the touch than Ryo remembered. He felt Dee relax under the touch. “Feels good?”
 
Dee nodded. “Very.”
 
“Feel better?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Well then,” Ryo stated, grinning up at Dee. “I think I'll stay like this for a while and take care of you and the chibi.”
 
 
 
Mid-morning found Ryo in the quiet kitchen. Bikky seemed to still be sleeping. Ryo decided to let the boy sleep. He deserved it after the day before. They all deserved a lazy day. He had gotten up to get Dee a mid morning meal while Dee showered. Ryo wanted Dee fed and hydrated, which would help much in Dee's recovery and gaining strength. Dee had fallen back to sleep for a half hour as they were cuddling. When Dee woke up, he insisted he take a shower.
 
As Ryo prepared their meal, he dared to sneak in another cup of coffee. He had to stop that, he knew. While Dee was allowed one or two cups, and Ryo would drink it with him, he found himself still grabbing a cup or two while he was away from Dee. There would be no coffee for Dee; it was the last thing he needed.
 
The phone started ringing and Ryo went to answer it. “Hello.”
 
“Ryo,” he heard Vince's friendly baritone voice greet him.
 
“Hi Vince.”
 
“I take it since I didn't hear from you again, that you're both still alive and sane?”
 
Ryo chuckled. “So far.”
 
“How was Dee after I left.”
 
“He was hit with it again. Most of the night that Dee wasn't in pain, he was cramping badly.”
 
“This is the hardest part of my job on a normal basis,” Vince said. “I can warn and warn a man that when this hits, it can make a rock bawl like a baby. The ones prone to tears end up fearing it, and the bad ass dudes are convinced they'd be the exception and would show off all the other wusses. They all cry from the pain. I cried from the pain. There hasn't been a man I've heard of that hasn't. It's like labor for a woman magnified five times. I guess it's the price a man has to pay for being able to conceive and carry a child. Most avoid the actual labor pains, but don't avoid what a woman goes through during delivery completely. This is the compensation for having a c-section before labor sets in.”
 
Ryo shook his head. “Dee tried explaining to me how it felt. But you know what, Vince? I have more than a strong idea of the pain he was going through. That's because Dee did cry. He cried in my arms last night whenever it was hitting him. If it makes Dee cry, then I'm not so sure I'll be able to deal with it if it was me.”
 
“You'll do fine, Ryo, if you find yourself pregnant one day. Of course you'll cry, but you'll survive as Dee had. Because you're a tough one yourself and just as stubborn,” Vince said. “It's not so bad after the first pregnancy. For Dee, I mean. If he ever gets pregnant again, there will be cramping, but his body will handle it better, because it's adjusted.”
 
“Someone I know referred to it as the point of no return,” Ryo said, remembering the Commissioner's words from earlier.
 
“Ah yes. It means there's no going back for Dee. He's a full carrier now. There's still a few weeks where the option of abortion is still open, but rarely have I heard of a man who chose that option after going through Settling. Even men who were not as certain as Dee had been in having this baby would not give it up after Settling. He'll become more protective of that child, as most men end up doing. No man wants to go through Settling and risk a miscarriage.”
 
“I see,” Ryo replied thoughtfully.
 
“Anyway, you seem to have things in hand there. Especially if you handled it without needing to call me. Now just follow what it says in the books and let me repeat advice previously given for this time. Keep Dee's stomach from being empty. That will cause him to start cramping very badly again. He doesn't have to be full, but don't let him get hungry. Nothing rich, fried or greasy today at least. He really should be avoiding that type of food anyway, but I've seen and been through it myself enough to know that's not the case, especially when the cravings kick in. Give him liquids. Lots of liquids, mostly water and fruit juices. Watch the citrus ones with him at first, because for some men, it could sour the stomach.”
 
“Dee hasn't been able to handle citrus juice ever since what we now know was his morning sickness started. He can do citrus fruit, but only later in the day,” Ryo informed the doctor.
 
“That's fine. I'm going to call in a prescription to your pharmacist for Dee. It's just vitamins. Now that we have an embryo becoming a fetus, I want him to start taking those vitamins. Once he gets his strength back, get him walking. I know he's nervous about exercising and doing something that could harm the baby, so I'm going to sign him up for a one day class that will have him work with a trainer who will show Dee what he can do and his limits, along with what to avoid. You'll be welcome to go too, and take notes. I'll have the information next Friday when Dee has his next exam. Well, that covers it. Except let me stress again - when in doubt, call me.”
 
“We will. Thank you, Vince. You've gone beyond the call of duty. Really. I appreciate everything, including showing up with dinner for Bikky and Carol.”
 
“Oh, David and I both love cooking and we always end up with some extra food in the freezer. It's for easy grabbing for the kids, if both of us can't get to making dinner or something.”
 
“How old are your kids, if you don't mind my asking,” Ryo asked.
 
“Hannah is seven and Jason is four,” Vince replied.
 
Ryo laughed. “My aunt has an eight year old boy and a five year old girl.”
 
Vince laughed in response. “Sounds like a match to me,” he joked.
 
“Say Vince?” Ryo asked, thinking of something at the spur of the moment. He knew Dee would not mind his asking before checking in with his lover. “Do you and David have any plans for New Year's Eve?”
 
“Are you kidding? The couple of times we put out big bucks to go somewhere nice for the evening, I ended up having to leave in the middle of the evening. For the same reason, we don't get invited to parties. Because if one of my patients went into early labor or had complications, or even nervous first time parents needing some reassurance that all is well, my priority is there. So it's been quiet evenings at home with the kids. Some years stayed quiet, others I had to leave.”
 
“Well, I know a couple of first time parents who would feel honored if you and your lovely family came to our party. And we won't mind if you have to leave. In fact, David and the kids would be more than welcome to stay, if they like. Dee and I are throwing a party for our friends. It's a family event, because besides having Bikky and Carol with us, Dee has a couple of friends from childhood who are married with kids. We're also planning on telling those friends about the baby that night. Which should be interesting, because most of them think Dee and I are only roommates.”
 
Vince laughed again. “Oh, now that sounds like an event to be present at. I'll run it by David and see what he says. I'll let you know on Friday. Unless for whatever reason, we end up talking again. Assuming that's not too late to R.S.V.P.”
 
“Not at all. I'll be seeing you, Vince. And thank you again for everything.”
 
“Not a problem at all, Ryo. And yes, I have decided to call you Ryo.”
 
Ryo smiled. “I'm glad, Vince.”
 
They said their goodbyes and Ryo hung up the phone. He heard footsteps in the living room and turned to see Dee enter the kitchen. “Should you be far from bed?” Ryo asked, going over to him.
 
“As nice as the thought of lounging in bed all day is, I've been in that room since before dinner last night. If nothing else, I wouldn't mind sitting on the couch for a while. Maybe watch some movies or something?”
 
“Sure. Just don't push yourself before its time.”
 
Dee looked horrified. “And risk bringing on another round of that? Fuck no, Ryo! I just thought I'd sit here while we eat and then settle down on the couch. Will that work with you?”
 
“Depends,” Ryo said, hugging Dee.
 
“On?”
 
“Whether there's room on the couch for me too?” He leaned over to kiss Dee.
 
When they broke apart for air, Dee shook his head amused. “Damn, Ryo. First you're telling me to be careful, the next you're making me weak in my knees.”
 
“That's to make sure you stay off your feet and rest. I'll continue doing that as long as you need rest, if needed.”
 
“Well, as long as you give me a good reason to stay on the couch.” Dee kissed him briefly. “But I do need to sit down about now.”
 
“Oh! Sorry, Dee.”
 
“It's fine, baby.” He took a few steps over to sit on a chair by the dinette seat.
 
“Let me just finish up in here,” Ryo said, going back into the kitchen. “Should take me only a few minutes. Want some juice in the meantime?”
 
“If you don't mind, please.”
 
“Vince called to check in on you, by the way,” Ryo called out as he went to get Dee some juice.
 
“Yeah? You tell him we're in one piece more or less?”
 
“Yes I did.” Ryo continued to tell Dee about the phone call as he got Dee his juice then finished with preparing the meal for Dee, realizing he was also a little hungry.
 
After they ate, they moved to the couch where they spent the rest of the morning and a majority of the afternoon, cuddling. When Bikky finally woke up, he joined them as they watched a movie. Dee and Ryo watched Bikky visibly start to relax once the boy was assured Dee was fine.
 
Dee looked over to Bikky. “Hey, Biks,” he called out.
 
“What?” Bikky asked, still watching the movie.
 
“You don't have to do this, but had I considered this sooner, maybe yesterday wouldn't have rattled you so much,” Dee said uncertainly.
 
“What's that, Dee?” Bikky looked up from his place on the floor, his attention going from the movie they were watching to Dee.
 
“There's a support group for children of carriers,” Dee explained. “They cover everything from what to expect in the next few months, to dealing with narrow minded fools who can't get with the times. Just about everything you'd need to know to make this easier on you. Ryo and I will keep you in the loop, but sometimes we can forget something, or think something isn't important and could make a big difference to you.”
 
Bikky looked from Dee over to Ryo. “Dee and I already had discussed this. But the choice is yours,” he replied.
 
Bikky's gaze went from Ryo back to Dee. “Yeah. I think I'd like to.” He looked back to Ryo.
 
“I'll get a schedule of meetings and you can choose when to go,” Ryo offered. He realized Bikky was still staring at him. “What?”
 
“When can I tell my other friends?”
 
Dee leaned over to ruffle Bikky's hair. “After New Year's. If you think we're going to try to keep this hidden, you're crazy.” He chuckled.
 
“Yeah,” Ryo added. “And you'll get to see the various reactions of the other guys we work with when they find out, since we're telling them on New Year's Eve at the party.”
 
“Really?” Bikky seemed excited. “Oh wow! Cool! Can I take pictures?” He looked at Dee. “You think JJ will cry?”
 
“Oh I hope not!” Ryo exclaimed, while Dee groaned.
 
Bikky laughed. “I can't wait for New Year's Eve.”
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###