Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Christmas Day ( Chapter 17 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
Chapter 17 - Christmas Day
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
 
Christmas Day
 
December 25, 2005
 
 
Ryo looked over to Dee, while checking the time when they heard the doorbell ring. Ryo had taken the ham out not long before, and the other food was sitting on warmers. The bread was still in the oven. For Ryo it was strange being the assistant in the kitchen to Dee, but since they were making a meal for seven, it was decided Dee would be the main chef. He was the one who was use to cooking for crowds and did not panic as Ryo would. Somehow, someway, Dee managed to orchestrate everything, making it seem simple to prepare a feast for several people, except for leaving a mess, which Ryo quickly cleaned up as part of his assistant duties. Ryo was almost envious. He would have been had he not been having so much fun watching a side of Dee that his fiancé rarely displayed. As far as the other guys at work went, they had no idea Dee knew how to cook beyond opening a can or putting a frozen meal in the microwave.
 
“They're early,” he commented to Dee and Bikky, who were watching a movie during the lull in meal preparation. Ryo's aunt and uncle had arrived about a half hour earlier than they were expecting.
 
Dee laughed as he stood up. “I know where you get that annoying habit from,” he commented, looking over to Ryo. “Are you ready?”
 
“I guess. I shouldn't be nervous. They know about us and my aunt did give me the name of the jeweler who made your ring,” Ryo stated.
 
Dee pushed Ryo toward the door. “Well, let's get this awkward moment over so we can enjoy the rest of the day. Hey Bikky. Get up will ya?”
 
“Aw man. It's just getting to….”
 
“Put it on pause,” Ryo remarked. “It's not like you haven't seen this one five times already.”
 
“C'mon bud. Make this easy on Ryo. Okay?”
 
Bikky turned off the movie and stood up. “Okay.”
 
Ryo let out a laugh, hoping to push away his nervousness. He opened the door with a smile. “Do you people know how to be late?” he joked.
 
Elena grinned, reaching up to hug Ryo. “And if we were, you'd be calling to see if we're all right. Besides, we couldn't wait to see you. How are you, sweetie?”
 
“Good,” Ryo replied, hugging her back. “Really really good.”
 
“Oh Elena!” Rick remarked from behind her, rolling his eyes. “For heaven's sake, stop acting as if you didn't speak to the boy last week.”
 
Dee laughed, managing to maneuver Ryo with his clinging vivacious aunt from blocking the door. “Come in,” he offered.
 
Two children, a boy and a girl ran into the entryway of the apartment as Elena released Ryo. Eight year old Stefen stopped by Ryo to greet him, while five year old Danielle ran right for Dee, who lifted her with the practiced ease from years of handling small children since he was a young boy himself. Ryo and Elena did not notice the slight wince as he lifted Danielle before settling her carefully on his hip.
 
Dee reminded himself once again he had to be more careful and not pickup a child in mid-flight toward his arms. He should have remembered from earlier while at the orphanage.
 
Stefen was greeting Ryo as Danielle flung her small arms around Dee's neck.
 
“Hi Sweetheart,” Dee greeted with a chuckle.
 
“Hi Dee,” Danielle greeted in her sweet little voice. “Brother teased me in the car.” She pouted, staring at Dee with big blue eyes.
 
“Oh he did, did he?” When she nodded, still pouting, he said, “I'll have to have a talk with him.”
 
“Okay.” She hugged Dee again.
 
Realizing he was reaching his limit in holding the child, he lightly kissed her nose and asked, “Now why don't you say hello to your cousin Ryo?”
 
“Okay.” Dee received another hug from her before she reached out toward Ryo.
 
Ryo had heard Dee ask his last question and was quick on the uptake. He was already turning to take the small girl from Dee before Danielle had a chance to reply.
 
“Hey Dani,” Ryo greeted once he had her firmly in his arms and getting a hug from her.
 
“Hi Ryo. Dee's gonna tell Stewie he was bad.”
 
“Oh he is?” Ryo glanced over to Dee in amusement, who shrugged behind the child.
 
Stefen had stopped briefly to say hello to Dee before moving on toward Bikky. Ryo put the girl down next to her brother. “Go ask your cousin what he got for Christmas,” Ryo told her.
 
“Oh my!” Elena gasped. “Is that Bikky? He's growing up so fast! Bikky, how are you?”
 
Bikky silently endured the attention, knowing it was no more than three months ago they had been over to Elena's for a visit.
 
“I'm doing okay. Especially with all the great stuff Ryo and Dee got me for Christmas.” He looked down at little Danielle.
 
“Can I see?” she asked.
 
Bikky took Danielle's hand. “Yeah. Then you can tell me what you got.”
 
The little girl squealed in delight, while her brother rolled his eyes. “I got some neat things too, you know,” he grumped. “But you don't see me squealing over it.”
 
“That's cause you're a dude,” Bikky remarked. “And dude's don't squeal. C'mon to my room.” He started to lead the way, still holding Danielle's hand.
 
“Call if you need anything, Biks,” Ryo stated. “And keep a good watch on Dani.”
 
“Sure. Later.”
 
The adults watched as the children left the room.
 
“He's going to be all grown up before you two know it,” Elena stated. “You both are doing a fine job with him.” She turned to Ryo. “You've got yourself a wonderful family, Ryo. I'm so happy. And you're looking really well.” She grabbed him by his arms, giving her nephew the once over. “Very well, indeed. Isn't he looking well, Rick? And it's hard to see him through the phone, before you say something smart-assed.”
 
“Yes,” Rick remarked, amused. “Yes, dear. He is. Ryo, my boy, you're looking well. A nice shade of color on you, too, I might add.”
 
Dee snorted from behind Ryo. Ryo turned and gave him a warning glance. He looked back to Elena. “And you're looking well yourself, Elena. You too, Rick. The kids have grown since I've last seen them.”
 
“The kids grow overnight, I'm telling you, Ryo,” Rick remarked. His gaze went past Ryo to Dee.
 
Ryo noticed his aunt had finished gushing over him and was now moving onto her next target.
 
Rick rolled his eyes as he stood next to Ryo. “Poor Dee,” his uncle chuckled.
 
Ryo watched his aunt and fiancé with growing amusement. “I have no sympathy. In fact, I rather enjoy watching Dee squirm around Elena when she's in this mood.”
 
Rick broke out in laughter, slapping Ryo on his back. “You're wicked sometimes,” he stated.
 
“Just sometimes?” he asked with a grin, winking at his uncle.
 
Dee found himself being hugged by Elena. “And how are you, sweetness?” she asked. “You're looking great too. Isn't he, Rick? You boys are taking good care of each other, I see.”
 
“Yes honeybunch,” Rick replied patiently. “Dee is looking well too.”
 
Ryo snorted. When Elena was running as she was, the only thing to do was to agree with her. “Whipped,” he whispered to his uncle.
 
“Hey, I'm looking at your ball and chain in Elena's arms,” Rick retorted.
 
“Like you'll catch me `yes dear' Dee to death,” Ryo laughed.
 
“Give it time. You're not married yet.”
 
Ryo glared at his uncle, who laughed again.
 
Because of her height, Elena was hugging Dee's waist. He started to feel self-conscious, wondering if she would notice the new softness in his front.
 
She looked him up and down. “In fact, I'd say you look radiant, Dee. I wonder why?” Her eyes dropped as she grabbed his left arm, pulling it from hugging her. “Oh yes! And here is the reason. Ryo, that's a gorgeous ring you selected for Dee.”
 
It was Ryo's turn to snort, quite loudly. He knew he'd get his chance, because he knew his aunt well enough. “Well, Elena. What do you expect a gorgeous man like Dee to wear? But yet the ring still doesn't come close.” His smile grew as he continued to watch Dee.
 
The beautiful smile on Dee's face did not hide the slight color change.
 
Dee looked over at Ryo's amusement. “Yeah well,” he said to him, “your aunt Elena can make a rock blush.”
 
“And you, my dear Dee, are my favorite rock,” Elena remarked, hugging Dee again. She let out a squeal of delight. “I'm so happy for you. Come down here a little so I can kiss you.” She reached up to pull Dee down by his shoulders. Dee laughed as he allowed the delightful woman to kiss his cheek. Any foolish thought of her not accepting him as her nephew's spouse left Dee. He felt loved and welcome by this wonderful woman who had taken Ryo in for a while until he got back on his feet again. She continued to be there for him in place of the parents Ryo's had lost. Dee realized he had also lost any fears he had of her not accepting the child he was carrying as a member of her family.
 
Rick, however, was a different story. He stood next to Ryo, studying Dee with a veiled intensity that Dee could not discern, no matter how hard he tried. It made him feel uneasy. Ryo had assured Dee that after speaking to his uncle on the phone, he knew his uncle accepted them.
 
What Dee could not figure out at that moment was how far that acceptance extended. Living together could easily mean, if Ryo so desired, to simply pack his belongings and move out. Rick could be accepting if believing it was not permanent. Marriage - and biological children would firmly bond them legally as a permanent couple; never mind that they were already a family with Bikky.
 
Elena had finished her gushing and left Dee to hug and squeal her delight on Ryo. Ryo took it all in with a happy smile, bending down to hug and kiss his aunt before she had the chance, and giving him the advantage to control her diatribe.
 
“I love you,” Ryo exclaimed. “And thank you. Thank you for allowing me to extend my family, instead of having to chose. And thank you for Harry's number, or else Dee would have been wearing an IOU for a ring right now.”
 
“I told you Harry does incredible work. Dee, you have a showroom piece of art on that hand. And with a value at least five times whatever Ryo paid for it.”
 
“That's because you are a piece of art yourself,” Ryo stated to Dee over his aunt. “And definitely priceless.”
 
“Aw geez…. Yeah, Ryo told me about Harry and how it's one of a kind and all that stuff.”
 
Elena looked back to Dee, while still clenching Ryo. “Did you cry?” Then looking up to Ryo. “Did he cry?”
 
“My lips are sealed,” Ryo laughed. “And no pictures. Even if I wish I could have a picture of Dee's face when I proposed. No worries. I'm going to remember that look for the rest of my life.”
 
“I think you're both works of art and so perfect for each other,” Elena said. “Aren't they, Rick?”
 
“Yes, sweetie pie.”
 
Dee cleared his throat gently. “Maybe it would be more comfortable out of the entryway?” he suggested. “We finally have couches to seat our guests.” He felt Rick's eyes on him again.
 
“Rick, don't just stand there. Tell your nephew and nephew-to-be how happy you are for them,” Elena demanded.
 
“Well gee, Elena. I am, but even if I was the type to do a happy dance of joy, I think you've worn the poor boys out. Dee looks a little tuckered. He's probably wanting to sit down after your attack.”
 
Elena swatted Rick. “Oh you….” She started to tap her foot, looking up at Rick.
 
Both Rick and Ryo threw their hands up in the air. Dee laughed. Rick gave Ryo a hug, patting his back. “Congratulations, son. Again, since I already told you over the phone.”
 
“Oh Rick. It's not the same, and you know it,” Elena complained.
 
Ryo laughed as his uncle went over to Dee. Elena latched onto Ryo and allowed him to guide her into the living room. She went into a running commentary on how great the apartment looked, being the last time her and Rick visited was during the renovation at the time Ryo and Bikky were moving in with Dee.
 
Rick approached Dee with the same intense, unreadable stare. He offered his hand in a firm hand shake.
 
“Welcome to the family, son.”
 
“Thank you, sir.” Dee knew he was rattled. He had not called Rick anything other than Rick since the first time he was introduced to Ryo's uncle.
 
“Rick, son. Or uncle Rick.”
 
“Thanks, s… uh, Rick.” He walked alongside the older man, leading him into the living room where Elena was already oohing and ahhing over the home they had made for themselves.
 
Ryo looked on amused as he answered question after question. Dee could also see his fiancé was trying not to give into embarrassment. Unlike in most similar circumstances, Ryo felt comfortable enough with his aunt and uncle to overcome it. Dee prepared himself for a night of Ryo's usual wit and sarcasm to get sharper.
 
“So how about them Giants?” Dee asked Rick, finding his own refuge in something familiar and comfortable. It was easier with Rick, because sports was always a safe bet for Dee.
 
“Let's hope they don't blow it like our other fine teams this year,” Rick replied.
 
“Tell me about it.” Rick and Dee fell into a discussion on sports.
 
Ryo had managed to get his aunt seated on the couch. Rick joined her as Dee went to settle in the loveseat.
 
“I've always loved that window set up, Dee,” Elena stated. “Have you considered perhaps stained glass?”
 
“That's the entire reason I decided to rent the place,” Dee replied. “And yeah, I thought about it several times. The problem is it'll look great during the day, but at night I just love having the view of the city. Which the stained glass would hide.”
 
Ryo laughed, sitting on the arm of the loveseat leaning close to Dee. “Dee tried it out, using some kind of temporary staining. We both agreed we love the night view with clear glass. So it stays.”
 
“Well, I think you and Ryo did a wonderful job on this place,” Elena remarked.
 
“You're still yet to see the other half, dearheart,” Ryo laughed.
 
“If it's anything like this. Dee, Ryo says you did most of the handiwork.”
 
“I had contractors come in for when we widened the kitchen and redoing the bathrooms. I have reason to believe the entire top floor was once an open loft because the plumbing doesn't fall in line with the floors below. It gave us options we wouldn't have had if this was one floor below.”
 
“And now the entire top floor is one apartment again,” Ryo added.
 
“Yeah. And yes, Ryo did help a lot. He was a fast learner on what he didn't know. He probably knows more about contracting than he wants to know,” Dee laughed.
 
Elena started to stare at Dee.
 
“What?” he asked.
 
“Have you put on some weight? You look more filled in. Not so scrawny. It looks good on you.”
 
“Scrawny? Me?” Dee blurted out. “Weight….” He looked helpless at Ryo. It was one of those rare times Dee was completely uncomfortable and turning to Ryo to bail him out.
 
And the bastard laughed.
 
Dee stood up quickly and was reminded that he should not be jumping to his feet so fast. He fought the slight disorientation and plastered a pleasant smile on his face. “Would you like something to drink? We have both white and red wine.”
 
“No beer unfortunately,” Ryo stated to his uncle. “But if you ask really nice, I might be convinced to run down to the corner for some.”
 
“No beer! How could this be?” Rick remarked. That gaze returned and fixed on Dee. “Did you drink it all before I got here?” The question was to both younger men, but Dee felt it was meant more for him and did not know what to think of it.
 
“Uh…no sir. I'll just bring both out with some glasses,” Dee stammered and forced himself not to run into the kitchen.
 
He heard Ryo make a cutting comment to his uncle. Dee could tell only by the tone of his voice, but could not make out the words. He placed his hands on the counter, and told himself to calm down and pull it together. He'd been flustered around Elena enough to be used to it. It was no big deal. That was just the way Elena was.
 
And Rick…. He'd always gotten along with Rick and felt comfortable around the man who in many ways was Ryo's second father.
 
Why was it different now?
 
Other than this was the first time he was with Rick as Ryo's lover and not just a work partner and best friend. That would not be so bad, if only he was able to read the man. Then he might have some control and know how to act. Dee prided himself in his ability to read people, to quickly access how to deal with them. It had helped in his being able to bluff confidence when he had none.
 
Suddenly with Rick, a man he thought he knew, he found he could no longer even act confident. It only unsettled him more.
 
He placed his left hand on his stomach. “Man kiddo. I hope you're not whacking out my radar, or we'll both be in deep shit.”
 
From behind, a hand rested on his as another arm pulled him close to a warm body. A body he knew as well as his own.
 
“No you won't,” Ryo's voice came from behind, “because you'll have me to look out for you both.”
 
Dee snorted. “Like how you did out there just now?” he snapped. He pushed away from Ryo, putting space between them. “She called me fat and you laughed. You laughed!”
 
Ryo shook his head patiently. “She didn't call you fat, Dee. She said you were more filled in, but not fat. Yes, even with your wonderful muscle definition, she always felt you needed a few more pounds on you. And yes, definitely me too.” He gave Dee a small smile. “I mean, look at Rick.”
 
Ryo's uncle was not fat by any standards, but he did have a larger frame than both Ryo and Dee, and definitely beefier.
 
Dee was still being stubborn. “But she didn't call you fat. Because you're not.”
 
“She didn't call you fat either. And you're not fat. Yet.”
 
Dee's eyes widened. “Oh, that really helps, you know.”
 
Ryo smirked. “You want me to bullshit you in the coming months, Dee? You want four, five months from now me telling you that your belly isn't bigger? I can't do that anyway, not when it'll be swollen with our child. You want to deny our child growing to a healthy size?”
 
Dee shook his head, running his hand through his hair in his nervous gesture. “No. Aw geez. I'm gonna look like a cow.”
 
When Ryo pulled him into his arms again, Dee did not protest. Ryo was right. He did not appreciate being bs'd by anyone. Especially by the man he loved and was going to marry. Ryo learned that and proved to be as blunt and honest about things when needed with Dee. It was what Dee needed in a relationship, and was glad Ryo could deliver. Even if it did mean an argument here and there. He would rather the arguments and the sweet making up after, knowing there was honesty between them, than keeping truths to themselves. He did not want them to build the relationship partially based on lies, which would one day blow up on them and destroy what they had.
 
Ryo nuzzled his ear. “You're going to be big, yeah. But you're going to be more beautiful. That's no bullshit, love.”
 
Dee nodded. “To you.”
 
“And? Does it matter what everyone else thinks?”
 
He shook his head. “No.”
 
“I thought so.” He smiled gently at Dee. “So the problem is?”
 
Dee shook his head. “That I'm being silly and getting worked up over nothing.”
 
Dee considered saying something about Rick, but decided against it. It could be more of his making something out of nothing. He figured that he was more nervous about coming face to face with the man Ryo had been worried would be upset over their relationship. Despite Rick telling Ryo he had no problems with it, Dee still had his own fears. He did not dare look at them too closely because it might be more silliness. The only way to handle it would be to go back into the living room with Elena and Rick and see what would come.
 
“Let's get the wine and get back out there,” Dee said to Ryo, who was studying him. “It's rude to keep our guests waiting. Who knows what they are thinking we're doing in here.” He grinned at Ryo.
 
They brought out the wine for Elena and Rick. Ryo had poured some grape juice into wine glasses for Dee and him.
 
As they entered the living room, Rick looked up from talking to Elena and smiled at them. “Well, it's about time. I trust you boys were having some fun.”
 
Elena giggled, and swatted him playfully. “Don't you start, you might embarrass them,” she warned.
 
Rick stared at Elena, while Dee and Ryo laughed, handing out the wine.
 
“What?” Rick asked innocently. “We know what we do in those kitchen interludes.”
 
Ryo slapped his forehead. “Now I really didn't need to know that,” he remarked.
 
Dee sat down on the couch next to Elena. “Being dense as usual, I see. Because I've always suspected.” He looked amused as he peered at Elena. “Your aunt would always look a little… flushed.”
 
Ryo let loose a burst of curses in Japanese. They were not sure if it was directed at Dee or Rick, since his eyes went to both.
 
Rick laughed. “You know I only caught some of that.”
 
“You should be so lucky,” Dee sighed, then his eyebrows rose when Ryo added a phrase in Spanish directed at him. “Geez, Ryo,” he remarked, trying not to laugh at the gleam in his partner's eyes. “If your aunt and uncle weren't here, I might be willing to see if that's possible.”
 
Sitting next to Dee, and placing an arm around his shoulder, Ryo leaned to whisper in Dee's ear, “You only say that because you know you're safe since my aunt and uncle are here.”
 
Dee raised his glass as if toasting and winked at Ryo.
 
Dee and Elena endured being stuck between Ryo and Rick as the two exchanged a few more friendly barbs.
 
“So, how's work, Dee?” Elena said, moving closer to Dee, trying to ignore the two men on each side leaning over.
 
“Good,” Dee replied. “Fine. And you?”
 
“Good too. I'm thinking of doing a piece on detectives in the NYPD.”
 
Dee glared at her playfully as she burst out in laughter. “If I did, you'd know I'd latch onto my two favorite detectives.”
 
“Thanks, but I don't think Ryo and I want any publicity.”
 
Elena squeezed his arm. “I wouldn't do that to you and Ryo. You're so cute, you know that. I'm so glad Ryo decided to settle down with you.”
 
“Aw geez, Elena. I'm glad you feel that way.”
 
Elena broke out in laughter.
 
Ryo looked to the two of them. “Hey, what are you whispering to my man there, Elena. You've got him red again.”
 
Dee shook his head, chuckling. His eyes were shining as he turned to look at Ryo. “Nothing that I don't want to hear.” He smiled back at Elena.
 
“Well, I'd say a toast is in order,” Rick announced, lifting his glass. “Here's to family. Dee, that includes you, boy. You're definitely family now.” His eyes shifted over to Elena, who was smiling at both Ryo and Dee. “Heaven help you,” he added.
 
Dee laughed as Ryo hugged him.
 
“This is definitely a wonderful Christmas gift,” Elena exclaimed happily. “May you always look as happy as you both do now.”
 
“Thank you both,” Ryo replied, lifting his glass to drink to the toast.
 
“Thanks,” Dee stated, taking a drink of his grape juice. “Now I can start breathing again.”
 
Ryo smiled and kissed the side of Dee's head. “Yeah. Nice, huh?”
 
“I think it's time to start setting the table and calling the rugrats out,” Dee said, starting to stand up.
 
“Good idea,” Ryo agreed, standing with Dee.
 
“Oh let us help,” Elena said. “You always help out when you visit us.”
 
“Well, let's go then,” Ryo remarked, leading them to the kitchen. “I'm surprised Bikky hasn't started giving us hints by now anyway.”
 
They entered the kitchen through a door that was added when the kitchen was redone during the renovation.
 
“Oh my!” Elena exclaimed, as they entered. “Dee, Ryo, you did a fine job with the kitchen. Wasn't it half this size?” she asked.
 
Dee nodded. “It was more a kitchenette. But Ryo had his idea of what he wanted for a kitchen if he could, and while we couldn't afford to do everything, we're both happy with it.”
 
Ryo came up behind Dee and hugged him around his waist. “Yeah. Ever since we moved in together, Dee has been taking on more and more of the cooking. I guess having a nice place to cook in helps.”
 
“I never took Dee for someone who knows more than the survival basics,” Rick remarked. “Nice job on the cabinets. Did you install them yourself, Dee?”
 
“Yeah. And Ryo helped,” Dee laughed.
 
They fell into friendly banter as they placed the food in serving dishes and set them on the dining room table, using the set of dishes Ryo had in his old apartment. Dee placed most of his mismatched dishware into storage, just in case it was needed. The next weekend, he would be taking them out to use for their New Year's Eve party, not trusting most of their guests from work with Ryo's good dish wear.
 
“Speaking of Dee, and Ryo helping,” Ryo stated. “Dee's the one to thank for dinner tonight.”
 
“Really?” Elena asked, smiling. “I can say I'm looking forward to eating judging by the delightful aroma in here.”
 
“I agree,” Rick stated.
 
They talked while they worked, Dee excusing himself at one point to call the kids. Dee had noticed how at first when Elena and Rick arrived, Ryo had started to tentatively touch his arm or hand, then grew braver as the time went by. Ryo had progressed to hugging and chaste kisses on his forehead or cheek. Rick and Elena took it all in stride, showing they were very happy that the two men were so obviously in love.
 
Ryo and Rick continued in their usual manner of banter, once again reminding Dee at times of himself and Bikky. He realized how whenever they were around Ryo's aunt and uncle, his replies to Rick were more conservative than Ryo's. Dee found it amusing and charming.
 
After dinner and exchanging gifts, the adults settled in the living room, while Bikky took Stefen and Danielle back to his room, Danielle clinging tightly to the doll Ryo and Dee had given her. Rick and Elena snuggled comfortably on the large couch. It was easy to see that years of marriage and two children did not take any spark out of romance for the older couple.
 
Ryo made coffee for his aunt and uncle, and tea for Dee and himself. As they settled down, Rick's eyes went on their hot drinks, but said nothing. Instead, he put an arm around his wife's shoulders, pulling her close. She snuggled into him, content and full on a good meal, enjoying being with family.
 
Ryo sat on the arm of the couch next to where Dee sat. He leaned down to pull Dee close and briefly kissed him on the mouth, enjoying the wide eyed look he got even if Dee was quick on returning it. Ryo had grown confident and daring in touching Dee around his aunt and uncle as the evening went on, but this was the first full kiss.
 
“Aw, you two are so cute,” Elena giggled. “I'm so glad to see you so happy, Ryo.”
 
“That wedding of yours is just a formality,” Rick remarked, “because from what I've seen tonight, you're both settled and content with facing life together.”
 
“Thank you, Rick” Dee replied.
 
“Well, I've got the love of my life willing to be my husband, and a wonderful family. What more could I want?” Ryo grinned at Dee. “Ready love?”
 
“Sure,” Dee replied, jade eyes that looked up at him sparkling.
 
“What are you two rascals up to now?” Elena asked.
 
“I think Dee and I already know how we're going to use your most generous Macy's gift card,” Ryo stated.
 
“Oh?” Rick asked, his eyes going from Ryo to Dee.
 
Ryo nodded, pulling Dee to him, feeling exhilarated to be so open in front of his family. “Yup. We're going to redecorate the guest room.”
 
“I guess since you no longer feel you have to hide that you and Dee are sharing a bedroom, you might has well,” Elena stated.
 
“Good thing for that,” Dee laughed.
 
“Do you have any idea how you'll redo it?” Elena asked. “You both did such a wonderful job with this place. But I really don't see changing that room much. Just take out the props used to make people believe it's yours.”
 
“Well, we need the room,” Ryo remarked, then smiled. “We're going to turn it into a nursery,” he announced, hugging Dee, who nodded happily.
 
“Nursery? Are you planning on adopting another sweet child?” Elena asked.
 
When both Dee and Ryo shook their heads with smiles that could only mean one thing, Elena gasped. “Oh!” Her eyes went between the two younger men, trying to correctly guess which one of them was giving her a great niece or nephew.
 
Rick laughed. “I'm not surprised,” he admitted. “Congratulations, Dee. How far along are you?”
 
Dee's mouth hung open, staring in amazement at Rick as suddenly all the unreadable observing made sense to Dee. He knew why Rick was studying him. “How?” Dee uttered.
 
“Rick!” Elena gasped, also wondering what made him choose Dee.
 
Ryo laughed. “I thought I handled your joke well,” he remarked to Rick.
 
“You did, my boy. Except you also made it quite clear that you were not pregnant at the time. So it has to be Dee,” Rick concluded.
 
Elena frowned a little at Rick, appearing confused. “I'm not saying it can't be Dee, but how are you so sure Ryo wasn't starting treatments?”
 
“I don't think they would be successful in a week, and able to inform us.” Rick smiled at his wife. “It's Dee and they knew it when we spoke to Ryo on the phone.” He looked at Dee and winked. “Well, I knew for certain Ryo wasn't, but there was still something odd about his voice when I teased him about him announcing a little one on the way. I had my suspicions, but said nothing to Elena in case I was wrong, but watching you today, Dee, I have one thing to say… Stop picking up Dani so quickly, son!”
 
Dee grinned ruefully and chuckled. “It's a habit I found that's harder to break than smoking. Probably because I've been doing that long before I had my first cigarette.”
 
Elena's eyes went to Dee's tea, then to the lack of ashtrays in the apartment, and everything started to add up to her.
 
Ryo hugged Dee again, looking as proud as a father-to-be could. Dee fell easily into the hug, calmly drinking his tea, looking radiant.
 
“Oh my God!” Elena exclaimed, jumping up. “You are! Oh my! Dee, you're pregnant!”
 
“Yes ma'am, I am,” Dee grinned.
 
“Oh my God!”
 
“Look out,” Ryo warned, laughing eyes on his aunt. “Here it comes.” Ryo quickly grabbed the cup from Dee's hand and placed it, along with his on the coffee table.
 
Dee found himself being hugged by a very excited Elena. Ryo laughed as Rick stood up to grasp Ryo's shoulder. “Congrats, Ryo,” Rick exclaimed with a big, proud smile for his nephew. “And now I'm getting out of the way, `cause your aunt is about to move from Dee.”
 
As Elena went from Dee to latch onto Ryo, she nudged Rick in the ribs with her elbow. “I heard that,” she said to Rick. Turning to Ryo, she exclaimed, “Oh sweetie! I'm so happy for you!”
 
Rick came over to Dee laughing. “That's wonderful news, Dee. I'm so glad for you. I have to say I'm somewhat shocked, but glad.”
 
“We were shocked too,” Dee admitted with a laugh. “We never even thought if either of us could be a carrier. Well, we found out I am for sure.”
 
“So this wasn't planned?” Rick asked. “I was figuring since Ryo knew he needed treatments, that you both were planning on an addition to your fine family.”
 
Dee shook his head.
 
“I went for testing only after we found out about Dee,” Ryo explained as his aunt hugged his uncle. “I never thought about it. Neither did Dee, but with Dee already pregnant, I did not want to take a chance of the two of us at the same time. That's when I found out that I am, but I can't conceive. Treatments might help. But I'm not too worried about that right now.” He hugged Dee again and kissed the man in his arms. “Not with this beautiful man carrying our child.”
 
“No,” Elena said. “Not a good idea. You need to be there for Dee. Then at some point after the baby is born, you could decide to try the treatment.” She winked at him. “And let Dee return the favor.”
 
“Is that a hint, Auntie?” Ryo asked with a smirk.
 
Dee laughed, taking Ryo's hand.
 
“We're going to concentrate on Dee and the little one we know is on the way,” Ryo stated.
 
“And getting married,” Dee added.
 
Ryo squeezed Dee's hand as Rick and Elena laughed at the hopeful face Dee gave Ryo.
 
“Of course married, silly,” Ryo agreed. “But if it starts getting too stressful, we'll get the marriage license and settle for the wedding after the baby is born.”
 
Dee sighed, but agreed. “Just so long as you don't forget.”
 
“Forget? Dee, I want to be married to you very badly. But I'm not going to risk the baby or you over the ceremony.”
 
“Yes sir,” Dee sighed, but smiled up at Ryo.
 
Elena squealed and started hugging them again. “You boys are so sweet! I love you both to bits!”
 
“Keep doing what you are,” Rick laughed, “and they will be bits.”
 
“You're going to be bits,” Elena snapped back playfully.
 
Dee moved a little so Ryo could sit next to him on the couch. He placed his arm around Ryo's shoulder and pulled him close. Ryo was completely relaxed in the hold and turned his head to smile at Dee. With Ryo's aunt and uncle standing before them, happily smiling with excitement at the younger couple.
 
Dee was in awe.
 
“So how far along are you, Dee?” Rick asked.
 
“Seven weeks.”
 
“Oh, you have time for a beautiful wedding, Dee,” Elena stated. “A very beautiful wedding for my two beautiful boys. You deserve the best.”
 
“Dee and I haven't had time to discuss what we want yet,” Ryo warned his aunt.
 
“I'm thinking simple and small,” Dee admitted, then winked at Elena. “But definitely beautiful.”
 
Ryo nodded. “Yeah. I want a wedding, not a circus.”
 
“Exactly,” Dee agreed.
 
“Look at those two, darling,” Rick remarked to his wife. “Do you boys ever fight?”
 
Dee and Ryo grinned wickedly at each other. “Yeah,” Dee replied. “We do.”
 
“Ah ha!” Elena laughed. “Bet the make-up sex makes it worth it.”
 
“Aunt Elena!” Ryo erupted, blushing.
 
“Holy crap, Elena,” Dee laughed, but did not look at her.
 
“What? It's true,” she said. “Don't deny it.” She grinned at her husband.
 
Rick let out a chuckle at the horrified expressions on the two younger men. “And now, thanks to Elena, we all know more about each other than we wanted.” He settled Elena down on the couch, hugging her to him. “Have you been through settling yet, Dee? Next week you're going to be two months.”
 
“Yeah, Dee did,” Ryo replied, rubbing Dee's arm. “Wednesday. While I was up in Rye getting his ring from Harry, it started. And while not as bad as Wednesday, it went on through most of Thursday. But he was well enough to work on Friday and yesterday.”
 
“You still shouldn't be picking up young children,” Rick warned. “Not even carefully this soon after settling. You look fine enough, son, but give yourself a week to fully recover.”
 
“But that doesn't mean you can do everything you used to,” Elena added.
 
Dee sighed in response to Elena's comment as Ryo gave him a look. He allowed Ryo to gather him in his arms and hold him protectively. He relaxed in the hold, content to allow Ryo to carry the conversation for them.
 
“This is going to be the hard part. Almost as hard as when I found Dee in the bathroom during his second wave of settling,” Ryo stated. “Dee doesn't want to be helpless and I don't want to make him feel like that. But on the other hand, ever since he told me, I just want to keep him in my arms, in the bed or on the couch and just take care of him until the baby is born.” He kissed the side of Dee's head. “Especially after going through settling with him.”
 
“Well, Ryo,” Rick said, “you have to remember that Dee's a man. It's okay to look after him, but even if he's pregnant, don't make him feel less than a man. Just try to think how you would feel if it was reversed and Dee did that to you.”
 
Ryo nodded. “I'll keep that in mind.” He looked over to Dee and noticed green eyes already lifting to meet his. He nodded ever so slightly that only Dee was able to notice it. In Dee's eyes he saw relief as the answer.
 
“And Dee,” Elena added, causing the men to break the eye contact as Dee looked over to Ryo's aunt. “If Ryo gets carried away for a bit, remember it's because he loves you. Besides you know how Ryo can get.” She winked at her nephew. “I'll bet he already knows more about male pregnancy than you do. Through no fault of yours, but that's just the way Ryo is.
 
Dee broke out in laughter. “Yeah, he does,” Dee agreed, then briefly kissed Ryo.
 
“Well, this is so exciting,” Elena smiled, tears in her eyes. “A wedding and a baby. Our little Ryo is all grown up.” She carefully wiped at her eyes so not to mess up her mascara.
 
“Elena!” Ryo remarked. “I've been grown up for a while.”
 
Rick smiled at Ryo. “Yeah, you have and you've done a damn fine job on building yourself a great life. I'm proud of you, son. And Dee, once again. Welcome to the family - both you and that child you're carrying.”
 
Dee swallowed. “Thanks. Really.” He leaned back in Ryo's protective hold for a moment. “I-I think I should start cleaning the kitchen.” He got up and quickly went into the kitchen.
 
Ryo smiled fondly, watching Dee.
 
“Perhaps you need to help him,” Elena suggested, her eyes also on Dee.
 
“In a minute,” Ryo replied.
 
“But….”
 
“Elena, please,” Rick cut her off. “Remember how emotional you'd get when you were pregnant…?”
 
“Just when she's pregnant?” Ryo asked with a smirk.
 
“Oh joy,” Elena sighed. “You can still be a brat.”
 
“Dee isn't comfortable tearing up when he's by himself,” Ryo explained. “Forget about in front of others. So I give him a few minutes to try to get it under control. If he can't by the time I check in, then that means he's at the point where he needs a good hug and him trusting me enough to cry in my arms. But he's stubborn as always. He hasn't allowed himself a good cry yet except during settling, and that was only because of the pain.” He smiled gently. “But thank you, both. Your acceptance of him and the baby meant more to him than he realized until now.”
 
“No need to thank us when you've made us so very happy, Ryo,” Elena said. “And so does Dee. We're not just saying it. He's definitely family.”
 
Ryo found he had to fight back his own attack of tears before they made their way past his eyelids. He stood up. “I love you both dearly. Now let me go look in on that fiancé of mine.”
 
 
“Dee?” Ryo asked from the door to the kitchen. He entered, making sure the door closed behind him. He came up behind Dee, who stood leaning on the counter, his back to Ryo. He placed his arms around the dark haired man and smiled as he felt Dee lean back into the embrace.
 
“You know,” Ryo said softly, placing his chin on Dee's shoulder, “the least you can do is pretend that you really are cleaning.”
 
Dee chuckled. “They're wonderful, Ryo,” he stated in awe.
 
“Yeah, they are. I can't believe I was so stupid to keep things as long as I had from them. I should have known better.”
 
“Well, I had enough reason to know they'd be accepting, but it still didn't stop me from being scared until we knew for certain.” Dee smiled. “All I knew is they are the only two people you care about what they think. It was pretty terrifying there for a while, even if I kept telling myself I was being stupid.”
 
Ryo kissed Dee's cheek. “You know I'd have never left you. I've said I love you more than anything a million times now. I do, Dee. It would have been hard on me if they couldn't accept us, and I would have been upset, but I would have still stayed with you. I knew that the first time I told you I loved you. It didn't change when you asked me to move in, or when you told me about our chibi. And I asked you to marry me because I want everyone to know that I'm yours forever.”
 
Dee turned in Ryo's arms, slipping his own around Ryo's waist. “I'm yours forever too.” He closed the distance so his mouth met with Ryo's.
 
When they broke the kiss, Dee asked, “Are we nervous about next week?”
 
Ryo shook his head. “I'm looking forward to being entertained by those who are happy for us.”
 
“And what if there's some who aren't?”
 
Ryo grinned up at Dee, placing a chaste kiss on his lips. “What I've been saying lately. If they don't like it, fuck `em. They could leave. Hell, I'll show them the door and make sure it hits them on the way out.”
 
Dee smiled widely, then laughed. “I think you really do believe that.”
 
“I do, Dee. Don't doubt it. Screw them if someone can't figure out that you're the best thing in my life. And heaven help the assholes who try to come between us.”
 
“Too bad we can't use that for wedding vows,” Dee remarked with chuckle, obviously pleased at the change in attitude Ryo had been displaying when it concerned their relationship. He placed his hands on each side of Ryo's head. “I love you,” he solemnly intoned, then passionately kissed him.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
A/N: Reviewers… you're awesome! I love you! **hugs** I'm so glad that you're all enjoying this as much as I am writing it. This fic has really become near and dear to me, and a huge part of it is from the wonderful reviews.
It's been some time since the last update, but I think I have a good excuse - I used November to write up 59884 words of “The Unexpected II”. I'm currently writing up Chapter 10. To forewarn all on how much more there is written in draft form. Then I had to get this chapter to a beta. Many thanks to rj1ofakind for taking on the task this chapter.
Chapter 18 is going to beta this weekend. So it won't be another month and half before the next update. Once again, thanks for the lovely reviews and encouragement. And yes, soon - very very soon, the New Year's Eve party will be posted. I hope everyone will enjoy it.