Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ A Foul Place ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
Chapter 18
A Foul Place
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
Special thanks to my beta rj1ofakind.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
December 28, 2005
 
“Hey Ryo,” Ryo heard JJ's voice call out to him. He was on his way to the break room from his office to get Dee's afternoon snack. Dee was in their office, making a few phone calls for one of their cases. It was late afternoon, but they were hoping to be able to check up on a lead they had recently stumbled across. All they needed was a reason to convince their lead to cooperate with them and agree to an interview. Hopefully once they got the interview, their witness would be willing to talk once they met up with him.
 
Ryo turned to find JJ, along with Drake, both partners looking amused as they walked over to Ryo. JJ's arms were filled with lab folders.
 
“Yeah?” Ryo asked.
 
“You and Dee have Jim chomping at the bit…again,” JJ said, laughing. “He said one of you need to get your ass down to forensics today. Or he's going to toss it all.”
 
“Oh?” Ryo gave a sly smile. “Oh shit. I guess we forgot to pick up our lab results again, huh?”
 
“That's not funny, Ryo,” Drake remarked.
 
Ryo's eyes went on the folders in JJ's arms. “He couldn't give it to you, Drake?” Ryo asked. “I mean your arms are pretty empty while you make your partner carry everything.”
 
Drake frowned. “Dude, what do we look like? We're not your courier service. Bad enough playing your message center.” He snorted. “Jim feels the same about us getting your files. If Dee's in your office, he's probably getting an earful from Jim right now.”
 
“Dee could can handle Jim,” Ryo chuckled.
 
“Five dollars says one of you still end up going down to forensics,” Drake laughed.
 
“I guess you're right,” Ryo sighed. “Later.” He turned from them to finish going into the break room.
 
“Dee and Ryo sure have been snacking a lot,” JJ observed.
 
“You know, now that you mention it,” Drake mused. “They better watch it or next thing, one of them will be putting on some weight.” He placed a hand on JJ's shoulder. “But that's not our problem, partner.”
 
“I guess,” JJ said, then shuddered.
 
Drake caught it and knew JJ did not want to imagine Dee anything less than perfect according to JJ. He could not help dig in a little. “Besides,” he said, then snorted. His eyes settled on JJ in amusement. “Dee does seem to be heading toward taking Chief's job one of these years. It takes quite a few years to get that Chief padding. Maybe Dee's starting now.” He let out a laugh at JJ's horrified expression.
 
“Don't even joke!” JJ exclaimed. “My Dee would never do that to himself.”
 
“Uh JJ…” Drake warned, his eyes beyond his partner in concern.
 
“What?”
 
“Your Dee?” he heard a familiar voice ask from behind. A voice that was normally pleasant and warm this time having an edge to it. An edge that always seemed to be there when JJ tried to stake claim on Dee. Lately that edge had been getting sharper.
 
JJ turned to face Ryo, who held an insulated lunch bag. “He's no more yours, MacLean.”
 
Drake froze, his body tense, ready to spring into action should Ryo decide to strike again. “What the hell, JJ?” Drake asked. “Are you crazy?” He gave Ryo a warning glance to lay off.
 
Ryo snorted. “At least Dee didn't have the Commissioner put a restraining order on me,” he retorted. He started to walk past JJ and Drake.
 
JJ opened his mouth to find Drake's hand covering it. “Don't,” Drake warned. “Just keep walking. Forget about Dee, and about Ryo. We have a case we need to be working on.”
 
JJ nodded but still glared at the back of Ryo's head. “One day Dee is going to get tired of waiting, and then….”
 
“Do you really believe that?” Drake asked, propelling JJ toward their desks. “If Dee hasn't given in by now, he never will. Not unless Ryo outright rejects him. And I doubt that will happen either. Sorry to burst your bubble, partner, but Dee's not budging from his stance.”
 
“And what about me?” JJ asked as he dropped the folders on his desk, looking forlorn.
 
“You'll find someone who will appreciate you, that's what. Maybe before that if you stop this nonsense.”
 
JJ shook his head, not willing to argue with Drake. Lately it seemed as if Drake was the only one who was not running away from him, or threatening him. He let out a heavy sigh as he handed the thickest folder to Drake.
 
*** *** ***
 
Dee looked up from his computer as Ryo entered the office. “Jim is threatening by withholding information unless one of us gets down there,” he told Ryo, looking amused.
 
Ryo laughed. “Yeah. So I heard. JJ and Drake apparently got an earful about us.”
 
Dee shoved a notepad, with a smaller memo paper on top, across the desk as Ryo took out Dee's snack. “I'll go down. You need to call your aunt and convince her we don't need the nursery done by next week.”
 
“Oh God,” Ryo uttered. “It's begun. I hope she hasn't started buying baby clothes already.”
 
Dee smirked. “She's your auntie. What do you think?”
 
“I think if we keep our mouths shut, we won't be for want for anything for the baby.”
 
Dee laughed as he opened his vanilla yogurt. “Doesn't sound like a bad idea,” he mused, picking up a spoon and starting to eat.
 
“It wouldn't, if only I wasn't looking forward to doing some of that shopping myself.” Ryo sat at his desk. “And how did the rest of the calling go?”
 
Dee shook his head, lounging comfortably in his chair as he had another spoonful of his yogurt. He put the container and spoon down to peel his banana. “Still couldn't get exactly what we're looking for. I mean, we could try to have a little talk with Mikey, but I think we need to take a visit down to 1PP first. See if we can find anything to make him cooperate more. I couldn't dig up anything on the network.”
 
Ryo nodded. “Yeah. Sounds like a good idea.”
 
Dee stood up and stretched. “Well, see what you can dig up that I might have missed and call Elena. Meanwhile I'll go say hello to Jim.”
 
“Thank you,” Ryo sighed. “I mean, I like Jim enough, but not when he's in a pissy mood. And the last few times he had to come up here, he was in a very pissy mood.”
 
“Especially when we put him in that mood?” Dee laughed. “I'll take care of him and be back with the files in a flash.” Dee winked at Ryo, then left the office.
 
Ryo watched him leave. Even after the last week, it still seemed strange to see Dee wear his suit jacket at all times while at work. Dee had fallen into the belief that by wearing his jacket open, it helped take away from the slight bulge hidden beneath his shirt. Not that Dee had much problem with it when alone with Ryo. Ryo made sure of that, and Dee started to look forward to the `baby rubs' after a long day.
 
Ryo smiled, remembering what his uncle had told him three days before on Christmas. Since then he had put his mind to finding a compromise they could both deal with. This was one of them - allowing Dee to still battle it out for them with certain people around the precinct. It was as if Dee was protecting Ryo, and helped Dee better compensate for those times it was Ryo as the protector.
 
Some were cut and dry matters on who looked after who, while some were clear they had to have each other's backs and no one way about it. Then there would be those times that Ryo was not looking forward to. Unfortunately Ryo had been a detective long enough to know when out on the streets not everything goes the way you want it to. Each day they went out in the last few weeks on a case, Ryo was terrified it would be the time a witness would run scared, or a lead would decide to become a problem. His fear was not for his own being, but he worried about something happening to Dee or the baby.
 
It was only a matter of time that Dee would go rushing off, taking the lead, assuming Ryo was covering his back, only to discover he could not go running off that way for a long time.
 
Ryo went to check his email and started to smile again, his worries once again fading to the background when faced with more pleasant things to consider. Dee had been productive and Ryo could not help be amused. Along with the notes on the notepad Dee handed him on one of their cases, Ryo found emails from Dee with links to places to hold a nice, medium sized, intimate reception.
 
The night before they started to discuss what they wanted for their wedding. Dee's first thought was that while he would like to have the reception at the orphanage, he decided he could not do that to Mother. She was most excited about the wedding and the baby - as excited as a proud mother can be for Dee. Dee figured she would be running around, doing all those motherly things on that day. It would be best for her to hold the reception away from the orphanage so she would not run herself into the ground.
 
Ryo quickly agreed. He had also pointed out that while same sex marriages were legal, some religions, such as the Catholic church, did not perform such ceremonies. Not everyone in the Catholic church was as open-minded as Mother Lane. There was the option of going through the gay community center for a Catholic ceremony, if Dee wished to do so. Dee admitted he would look into it, but was open to see if there were any alternatives.
 
They had decided on a buffet style meal. The wedding was going to be early afternoon, with the reception immediately following. While they decided they would wear white tuxedos, the reception itself would not be formal. Once again, they thought of casual, comfortable and cozy.
 
Simple also meant less stress in planning, which was good for Dee. Ryo did not want to see him get overly stressed out on what is to be a happy occasion in their lives.
 
After looking over Dee's notes on their potential witness, Ryo knew he could not do much else than what was already done. When Dee returned with the lab results, they might have more to go on. If not, they would have to make the trip down to 1 Police Plaza that afternoon and see if they could come across something to convince their reluctant witness to talk.
 
Ryo chose to spend the rest of his time while waiting for Dee by looking at the links. He replied to Dee on the ones that interested him. Dee added a comment that he did not actually expect to use the exact places. Rather it was more of getting general ideas of what type of setting they preferred before looking at actual places to book.
 
Ryo was done with Dee's links and was looking into a few himself when he got a phone call from Jim, asking if he could come down to the lab and give Dee a hand. Jim insisted that it was nothing to worry about, but it did not --> stop Ryo's anxiety of [Author:R] Dee having to go through something without him there. Ryo left the office running to get down to forensics.
 
*** *** ***
 
Dee took the stairs down to forensics, because he had the all clear from Vince to get exercise whenever he felt up to it. During the day at work, Dee started to use the stairs as much as he could. He would be damned that when he really started to show that he would also get flabby. A week after settling, Dee was no longer so soft, his abs now smooth, no longer rippled, with a slight pooch. Wearing suits with his jacket open, he knew no one would guess he was pregnant yet, but if he was shirtless, someone would ask.
 
During the days, he had been feeling good for the most part ever since settling, only being hit with a slight wave of nausea when too close to something that did not agree with him. Usually shortly after getting away from whatever it is, and knowing how to settle his stomach, he would start feeling better again. The only problem with the sickness hitting mostly late evening was it had put a crimp on their sex life. With Bikky still on winter vacation, they would come home to find him and Carol hanging around the house. By the time Bikky went to bed, Dee would start feeling ill. He would be found either hanging over the toilet, or sitting in the comfortable chair in their bedroom, sipping tea and trying to eat some plain melba toast or breadsticks. Ryo would be hovering close by, or when Dee allowed, would hold him.
 
Not that they would have sex every day, but it used to be often enough for both men before Dee got pregnant. Dee found it ironic that his pregnancy was also the reason for the heightened feelings of intimacy between him and Ryo. He especially felt it from Ryo, as if Ryo felt he had to constantly show Dee in every way possible just what he meant to Ryo and how much he was loved. They found themselves working around the definition. Intimate in the last few days would mean cuddling on the couch while Bikky was up. Later in the evening, Dee would find himself in Ryo's arms while stretched out on the bed, with Ryo giving him a massage or gently rubbing his tummy. Amazingly, it helped Dee become able to relax enough to fall asleep in Ryo's arms.
 
As he entered the forensics floor, he ignored the smells he had long since become accustomed to. It was mainly chemicals that permeated the air on that floor. No decaying body parts, as that would be at the morgue. Somehow there was still always a touch of the stench of death there. Dee never thought much about it before, having been a long time veteran of gory crime scenes. If anything, it only reminded him of why he did what he did and helped maintain his belief in his work.
 
Something was different that day. As he walked down the hall toward Jim Campbell's office, his hand rested on his stomach. It was not so much because of the twinges warning Dee he'd be hanging out in the bathroom at some point if they did not stop or if he took too long down there. It was more a subconscious protective gesture, as if shielding the innocent tiny life growing within him from any touch of death.
 
He realized this was his first trip down to forensics since he found out about the baby. He approached the office and took a deep breath before knocking. Get the files, exchange a few pleasantries and then get the hell out of there was Dee's game plan.
 
He entered the office when he heard Jim answer. “Hi Jimbo,” he greeted.
 
“You and your partner,” Jim grumped as a greeting, turning around from a file cabinet. “Three cases? You're killing me here, Dee. And you lazy ass bastards don't have the decency to come down here to pick up your stuff as it gets completed. How the hell do you work on your cases? Or do you?”
 
Dee grinned as Jim complained. “Ryo came down here on Monday for a pick up, so quit your bitching. We've been working off that load.”
 
“If I don't make it to your party Saturday, it's because I'm stuck in here, buried under all your shit you don't pick up.”
 
“Better have the rest ready by Friday morning if you want it cleared out by Saturday. Because after twelve, Ryo and I are outta here until next year.”
 
Jim sighed heavily, glaring at Dee.
 
“What do you have for us?” Dee asked, sitting on the edge of Jim's desk, trying to ignore the twinges of nausea, and attempting to appear as if he was feeling fine.
 
“Take your pick. I have a little from all three cases,” Jim replied, gesturing to a collection on top of desk.
 
Dee smirked. “Does that mean you're giving me a choice?”
 
“You wish, Dee. You should have your partner join you to help.”
 
Dee looked at the desk, noting several thick folders, some envelopes and a large box almost overflowing. “Oh well, I can handle all that,” Dee said with a confident smile he did not feel. Normally that would not be much for Dee to handle on his own. Clumsy maybe, but the worst that would happen would be his dropping something. Now he was not so sure, especially with a queasy stomach. He had hoped by leaning against the desk, he would start feeling better. Instead he was feeling worse. With resignation, he knew the only way he would start feeling better at this point would be to leave the area or throw up.
 
The sooner he collected the items on the desk, the sooner he could be leaving and start feeling better. Which was the preferable option. He pushed himself from the desk, a little too quickly. Once again he cursed himself for reflexes that he did not learn how to slow down.
 
“Whoa,” Jim called out as Dee swayed, trying to grasp his bearings. “Are you okay, Dee?”
 
“Yeah.” He squeezed his eyes tight, realizing with the addition of the nauseating chemicals, the dizziness from going into motion too soon was not passing as quickly as it normally would.
 
“You sure about that?” Jim asked.
 
He felt himself being guided a few feet and lowered into a chair.
 
“Head between your legs,” Jim directed.
 
“Huh?” Dee figured his head was down. The dizziness started to finally pass, but when he slowly lifted his head, he still felt a little light headed.
 
Jim was walking over to him with a small bottle of orange juice and opened it. He held it out to Dee. “Here. This will help.”
 
“Thanks.” He slowly started to sip the orange juice with a grimace.
 
“Now sit back a bit so that I don't have to be stuck with your crap still.”
 
Dee glanced up to Jim, who hovered before him. “How you figure?”
 
“Well, if you're feeling better, we call Ryo to give you a hand with carrying everything. If you're not, Ryo will end up hauling you out of here. And leaving everything behind until you both feel like gracing me with your esteemed presence.”
 
“Sarcasm was always your strong point,” Dee remarked, then took another small drink of the orange juice, knowing despite his stomach's revulsion to it, it would help with the dizziness. “It's not my intention to forget about it. We need that stuff.”
 
“Uh huh. So why wait for long to get it?”
 
“We get caught up in other things. We usually carry the heaviest case load. Unless there are no cases or we're put on something sensitive.” He realized Jim was intently studying him. “I'm fine, Jim. Really.”
 
“Are you certain?” Jim did not sound convinced.
 
“Yeah. Just got a little dizzy. I don't know what you guys are using down here, but something isn't agreeing with me today.”
 
“Yeah, I can see,” Jim replied. “I heard you caught yourself some nasty strain of flu a few weeks back and it still comes and goes.” He peered sharply at Dee again, those eyes studying him again.
 
“Hey Jim,” Dee called out, wanting to stop Jim from doing what he does best. Observe, collect data and come to a conclusion. Jim was unusually perceptive in reading people, with an accuracy that was frightening. Especially to someone like Dee, who had always been highly perceptive himself, but nothing like Jim. “Can you do me a favor and call Ryo? I'm going to head over to the men's room. That's where he can find me if I'm not back by the time he gets here.”
 
“You need help getting there?” Jim offered.
 
Dee shook his head, then cursed himself for the action. One day he'd learn. “Yeah, I can make it.”
 
Jim still assisted Dee to stand up. “Nice and slow,” he warned, “because I'll have to get you back if you hurl on me.”
 
Dee glanced at him, concentrating on getting to the door.
 
Dee?” Jim asked as he got to the door.
 
Leaning on the door frame, he looked back in question.
 
“When do you plan to tell everyone? I mean about….” He gestured at Dee, “Well, the addition there. I have to admit I'm shocked.”
 
Dee managed an amused smile. Leave it to Jim to figure it all out. “Saturday,” he replied. “At the party.”
 
“Ryo?”
 
“Who else?”
 
“That I'm not shocked about.”
 
Dee nodded and quickly made his way for the men's room.
 
*** *** ***
 
The moment the door opened, Ryo saw Jim waiting by the elevator.
 
“Relax,” Jim said, amused as he came to stand next to Ryo. “He's fine. Just a little normal sickness and somewhat shaky. I checked on him after I called you and made sure no one walked in on him.
 
Ryo nodded, placing a hand on the other man's shoulder. “Thanks, Jim,” he said as they started to the bathroom.
 
Jim winked as he flashed Ryo that knowing smile of his. “Congrats.”
 
Ryo's eyes opened wide, then he remembered who he was talking to. “You ended up telling Dee, huh?” At Jim's chuckle, he added, “How long did Dee manage to fool you?”
 
“Not very long after he started to get dizzy. There was definitely something different about Dee before then, especially when he entered the office. It just all started to connect after I studied him more while he was sick.”
 
“It's a secret for now,” Ryo cautioned him. “For a few more days, at least. Once we tell everyone at the party, then we won't care who knows after that.”
 
“We? Sure you're not going to ship him off in a month until after?” Jim teased.
 
Ryo laughed. “Seriously.” He started to open the bathroom door. “If I do any shipping, it'll be me and Dee to somewhere I can keep him safe until after.” He looked in to find Dee rinsing his face.
 
“You okay, babe?” he asked, going up to Dee.
 
“Better than before, but… I think it's this place,” he replied, grabbing a towel to wipe his face.
 
“I think you should get Dee out of this section,” Jim stated. “The chemicals sometimes don't mix with pregnancy. At least at the beginning. Sometimes throughout.” He sighed dramatically. “It's not like I'll be missing your presence here since you hardly come around anyway.”
 
Dee rolled his eyes. “Yeah yeah. And we all know how much you want me around more.”
 
Ryo laughed at the glare Jim gave Dee.
 
“I see pregnancy hasn't softened your attitude,” Jim muttered. He turned to Ryo. “And here I was going to give you both a break,” he started, then looked over to Dee who leaned against the sink, “by telling Ryo he does not have to come back down here after he hauls your ass upstairs. But now….” Jim shrugged. “Besides, I like Ryo's company more than yours.”
 
It was Dee's turn to glare.
 
Ryo shook his head. “Now now, Dee. Jim's certifiably straight and I'm totally taken. It's a match that could never happen.”
 
Dee gaped at Ryo while Jim chuckled.
 
“I've been watching Ryo change over the years, the type that comes from experience and exposure on the job. But I've been watching you both change in a different way.” Jim frowned. “Unfortunately, Dee, you didn't get less obnoxious, while Ryo has gotten more.” He sighed again. “But for the last couple of years I did notice positive changes in you, Dee. The type of which have finally been confirmed today. I mean, Dee, you can't be pregnant unless you and Ryo were, you know.”
 
Dee glanced over at Ryo to check his reaction.
 
Ryo shook his head. “Yeah, we know what we've been doing for two and a half years. Now, can I get Dee away from all your foul brews so he could start feeling better before having to get on the subway?”
 
“Oh yeah. Sorry,” Jim replied, looking contrite.
 
“I think I can manage on my own,” Dee said. “Give me a couple of folders and you grab the rest,” he said to Ryo. “Then we don't have to hear Jim start telling us more in detail what we've been doing.” He smiled at Ryo.
 
Ryo laughed. “Okay. But if you start feeling worse while we're on the move….”
 
“You'll know. You should know that already.” Dee pouted at him.
 
“I mean tell me a little in advance,” Ryo warned as the three left the bathroom.
 
“He almost did that to me in my office,” Jim remarked.
 
“Not even close, dude,” Dee retorted.
 
Jim moved ahead of them and came out of his office to unload some of the smaller folders on Dee, who Ryo made wait by the elevator. On the way out of the office with the box and remaining folders, Ryo said to Jim as they passed, “Remember, not a word to anyone until we say something at the party on Saturday.”
 
“You're actually going to be able to….” Jim stopped himself, looking at Ryo. “Yeah, you are,” he answered himself. “You are the type to accept responsibility for your actions.” Jim smiled as he saw the pride and love in Ryo's eyes as the other man turned to see how Dee was holding out. “Especially when it's a good thing.”
 
“It's a great thing, Jim,” Ryo said softly. “I'll try to make it down here.”
 
“I heard that one before.”
 
“But don't expect to see Dee. I'm not letting him and the baby near this nasty stuff. Later.”
 
“Bye Dee. Later, Ryo,” Jim called out as he walked away from Ryo back into his office.
 
 
 
They returned to their office with no further incident. Dee had been sitting quietly, flipping through the folders while Ryo went through the box. Shortly after he sat down in his chair behind his desk, Dee started to feel well enough to be productive again.
 
“The box belongs to our Jane Doe,” Ryo stated, setting it aside. “And it looks as if she's a transient.”
 
“Anything we can use for leads?” Dee asked, looking up from a file.
 
Ryo shook his head. “You could go through it tomorrow morning if you like, in case you notice something I missed. But mostly I think it's best to put it aside for when she wakes up.”
 
“That would explain a lack of missing person's filed,” Dee remarked,., ignoring Ryo's last statement. Mostly because at the moment it was more if she ever woke up. “I suggest we find out if it was voluntary or not.”
 
Ryo scowled. He knew a city like New York was brutal enough to wrench even some of the toughest to live out on the streets. What he was never able to comprehend or accept were those who chose it.
 
He knew Dee felt the same way, though he had admitted once that some of those he grew up with had chosen that way of life. It confused and saddened Dee, knowing what he had been able to make of his life. Dee also sometimes felt guilty when he thought of those who gave up, because he knew Mother did not provide the money for all of the children who grew up with Dee to go to college. Dee had been determined to go anyway, wanting to have a college education before going to the police academy. Yet Mother helping him pay for it sometimes bought about a twinge of guilt. Not enough to put Dee into any funks, but enough to remind anyone who knew about the guilt just how caring Dee was beneath his usual abrasive and devil may care attitude.
 
Ryo set the box on the top of a file drawer and turned to Dee. “How are you feeling, love?”
 
“I'll live,” he replied, then took a breadstick out of the package he kept in a desk drawer. He bit into it, frowning.
 
“What's up, Dee?” Ryo asked, going behind Dee's chair and rubbing his shoulders.
 
“I never realized what a foul place it is down there. My skin is still crawling. When we get home, don't get alarmed if I stand under a hot shower for a while.”
 
“I never noticed,” Ryo remarked, digging his fingers into the tense muscles he found, and with practiced ease loosened them.
 
He watched as Dee leaned back and let out a blissful sigh. With his eyes closed, Dee continued their talk. “I never had noticed it before. But today… It's just I… well, I didn't want that atmosphere to touch the chibi,” he admitted low. “It just didn't seem right. I mean it's a necessary evil and all, and it's done a lot of good, but not for….” Dee faltered on his words and fell silent, moaning softly as Ryo's fingers worked on the back of his neck. He dropped his head forward.
 
“Our unborn innocent baby,” Ryo finished for him, leaning over to kiss Dee's head. “I'll go for duration unless it can't be helped. There will be sometimes when we'll both be wanted down there.”
 
“With Jim knowing and seeing my reaction today, I don't see that likely.”
 
“True. Just make sure the Commissioner knows what happened today down there, and I'll bet you no one will be able to order you down there,” Ryo said. “And Chief.”
 
Dee chuckled. “Who would ever thought I'd be running to Rose for favors.”
 
Ryo leaned over Dee, his hands still on his shoulders and whispered in his ear, “It's not favors, Dee. It's called keeping you and the little one healthy.”
 
“I guess,” Dee said softly, lifting his eyes when he felt Ryo move. Green eyes watched as Ryo moved to his side, one hand still on his shoulder, while the other slide lovingly down along Dee's chest to his stomach, rubbing gently. Dee smiled gently at Ryo, who's returning smile was filled with so much love for both him and their unborn baby, it almost made Dee cry.
 
Ryo settled on one knee, moving Dee's chair slightly so his head could be closer to Dee's stomach, his hand softly stroking over the slight swell beneath Dee's shirt. The area was now firm and hard, the baby now having a place to live and grow within Dee until it was ready to be born. Ryo knew the swell would start growing visibly soon as Dee would begin to show more. His breath caught as a lump formed in Ryo's throat in awe over the life that was both his and Dee's. Their child, their flesh.
 
He felt Dee's fingers run lightly through his hair. “What are you thinking, baby?” Dee asked.
 
Ryo looked up at Dee, overwhelmed. “It's still amazing to think that you're carrying our child,” he said in a hushed tone.
 
Dee sighed, and placing his other hand over Ryo's on his stomach, he said, “Tell me about it.” His tone was just as awed and soft as Ryo's. He smiled lovingly at the man he was going to marry, the man who had brought into his life the son they were already raising. “But it's real.”
 
There was something in the tone that Dee spoke that made Ryo study Dee. He was not worried, just curious. Something once again was changing.
 
As if reading Ryo's mind, Dee started to speak. “Something's changed. I mean, how I feel ever since settling. It's more than feeling this little bump that is our child with my hand. More than being sick on and off. More than looking at myself without a shirt on.” Dee smiled, a different smile than Ryo was used to seeing on his handsome fiancé's striking features. There was an inner glow about Dee and radiated the smile. His face looked a little flushed, but in a different way than Ryo was used to seeing. Jade eyes met his with the same intense look, but even there was something softer about it. It still gazed down into Ryo's soul, and opening his own for Ryo to see. “I KNOW, Ryo,” Dee announced.
 
Ryo's smile widened as his hand pressed a little firmer along the curve of the swell, rubbing soothing circles. “You feel pregnant?” he asked, amazed.
 
Dee nodded his head, with the same smile. His eyes started to glitter with unshed tears. “Yeah. I do.” The flush of inner glow on his face started to change slightly.
 
Ryo bit his lip to keep from smirking, knowing what was it was. He stood up enough to place his arms around Dee, hugging him. “It's okay, Dee. It's normal. Vince said it would hit once in a while, sometimes without reason. Just you have to be different and hold it in until you get so overwhelmed one way or another, that you can't anymore. Then you get mad at yourself. Well don't.” He was whispering in Dee's ear. “Let it out, Dee.”
 
Dee shook his head, biting his lip, one hand still on his stomach, the other going around Ryo's shoulders. “I'm sorry.” A sniffle escaped. “Damn….” Another sniffle.
 
“Don't hold it in, love.” He started to rub Dee's back. “If you need to cry, just cry.”
 
“This is so stupid,” Dee muttered, his eyes filled with tears. “I mean, I'm not sad. There's no pain right now. I'm just sitting here feeling content and happy and loved.” More sniffling. “God Ryo, I'm so damn happy and I feel so loved right now….”
 
“That you could cry,” Ryo said, then kissed Dee's temple. “So why don't you?”
 
“Because what if someone knocks on the door?”
 
“I'll open it enough to tell them to go away.” He smiled when he heard Dee chuckle a little, then another sniff. “They're happy tears, baby. Those are important tears too.”
 
Ryo stood up, with one arm still on Dee, he repositioned Dee's chair so when Ryo sat down on the desk before Dee, he could get a better hold on his partner. Dee wrapped his arms around Ryo, burying his face in Ryo's chest and allowed the tears to freely fall.
 
Ryo rocked Dee back and forth gently, rubbing Dee's back soothingly, while he sprinkled light kisses on Dee's head. “That's it, baby. Just let it all out,” he encouraged.
 
“I feel so stupid,” Dee's muffled voice said into Ryo's chest. “I'm sorry, I can't stop.”
 
Ryo smiled softly, knowing Dee would still try to fight it. “Don't feel stupid, love. Just let it out. I'm here if it makes it any better.”
 
He felt Dee move his head up and down against his chest. “It does. You being with me always makes everything better.”
 
“I love you too, Dee,” Ryo replied, kissing Dee's head again. “You know, when I think about everything lately, about you and our baby, us getting married, and knowing how happy Elena and Rick are over this child, it's enough to make me want to cry too.”
 
Dee lifted his head a little, wiping at his face. “So why don't you?”
 
Ryo moved his arms so he could take Dee's head between his hands. With his thumbs he lightly wiped at the tears streaking Dee's face, managing to caress the soft skin. If Ryo had never seen Dee shave, or when Dee did not shave for a few days, he would never have believed Dee had to. His skin was amazingly soft.
 
“Because I'm taking care of you right now. But one night when we have the apartment to ourselves, if you like, we can have a cry fest.” He kissed Dee's nose.
 
Dee giggled, looking at him with shining eyes. “I'd like that. Especially if it means you can let go yourself without having to worry about looking after me.” He gave Ryo a knowing look.
 
“Yeah, yeah. I know. But you need me more this time. So just sit back and enjoy it,” Ryo retorted, then briefly kissed Dee's lips.
 
“As long as you keep looking like that, I think I can.”
 
“Looking like what?”
 
Dee moved his head to lightly return the recent kiss on Ryo's lips. “That you're enjoying yourself.”
 
“I am, Dee. I am because you're worth it. You and the baby are worth it.”
 
“Don't… ah damn, Ryo. You're gonna start me up again.”
 
“So go ahead. I'll keep the world away for the time being.”
 
Dee's smile grew as the tears ran from his eyes again. “I love you so much.”
 
“That's good to hear, Dee, because I feel the same.”
 
“I hope so if we're gonna get married.”
 
“That's the plan.” Ryo hugged Dee to him again, feeling his shirt get damp again and not caring. At the moment the only thing he cared about was the man in his arms.
 
He continued to hold Dee until the other man was cried out. Assured that Dee would be okay until he returned, Ryo took a quick trip to the men's room to discreetly bring back some wet paper towels so Dee could wipe his face. Shortly after, when Ryo assured Dee he did not look as if he was crying, Dee slipped off to the men's room to wash his face more.
 
 
After checking his reflection in the mirror, he realized he had to take a leak. Tucking himself back in, he thought, `That's the what? Sixth time today? Geez, it's getting worse!'
 
Vince had told him, and he had read that he would increase the need to use the facilities. Normally he was the type to hold out for long stretches of time before having to take a leak, unless he was full of beer. About a couple of weeks before he found out he was pregnant, he realized he had doubled the times he --> had to use the [Author:R] bathroom. It had increased more in the last week. Once it was during a meeting with Rose speaking to CI. All it took was one pleading look from Dee and the Commissioner snapped out gruffly, “Go Laytner.” He was out the door in a shot.
 
If it wasn't going to the bathroom, it was leaning over the toilet, spilling up his latest meal. He had been seeing the inside of too many bathrooms lately, and resigned himself to the fact that it was unlikely to end any time soon.
 
As Dee approached the office, he noticed Commissioner Rose coming from the squad room. The Commissioner acknowledged Dee with a nod of his head.
 
“Ah Dee, I was just coming to see you,” Rose greeted as Dee met him by the office door.
 
“Oh?” Dee asked, noticing the Commissioner's concerned study of him. He opened the door and held it open, noticing Ryo at his desk, working on his computer. Sitting on Dee's desk was a mug. Dee smiled, realizing Ryo must have made a quick trip to the break room and got Dee some tea while he was in the bathroom pulling himself together. He held the door open for Rose to go through.
 
Ryo looked up as the door opened and at first looked a little surprised seeing Rose enter with Dee. “Oh Commissioner. Hello,” Ryo greeted, then looked at Dee.
 
“Hard at work as usual, I see, Ryo,” Rose greeted, going to grab an extra chair and setting it between the two desks. “You really should not look so surprised. I'd like to think that I've been treating Dee well enough to escape your wrath.”
 
“Humph,” Ryo grumped.
 
Dee sat down at his desk, with a laugh. “I think Ryo's getting jealous, Commissioner.” He indicated the chair Rose sat in. “Have a seat, sir.” Dee smiled as he picked up the mug of hot tea that was waiting for him and took a sip.
 
Ryo snickered and turned away from the monitor to give his attention to both Dee and the Commissioner. “Well, what do we owe this visit, sir?” he asked.
 
“I heard word from forensics that Dee was not looking well when he was down there,” Rose said. “And from others that you had to come down to get him. Are you well, Dee?”
 
Dee nodded. “Nothing more than what's expected,” he replied. “Turns out forensics and baby doesn't mix well for me. But I wasn't that bad. I did carry some folders up.”
 
Rose turned his head to Ryo. “And you let him?”
 
Ryo shrugged. “You don't know what I really want if I had my way. But Dee is Dee, and short of him doing something that will most definitely cause harm to the baby or himself, I have to let Dee do what he wants.”
 
The Commissioner nodded. “Dee, have you been taking to heart our little talks.”
 
“Yes sir, I have. Trust me, I'm being careful. I'm learning my limits. Besides, that's also Ryo's way of gauging just how bad the latest bout of morning sickness is. If I'm feeling bad enough, I'm going to allow him to help me. I hate acting helpless, but when it strikes really bad, that's about the only option I have.” Dee sighed. He smiled over at Ryo. “And don't worry. Ryo's doing a wonderful job of looking out for me. In fact, he's going above and beyond.”
 
Rose looked thoughtful for a moment. “I don't doubt it. I know Ryo. And I've come to see and accept that his feelings for you run very deeply. To the point that we can do without some of his above and beyond.”
 
“If you think this is where I'm supposed to apologize, sir….” Ryo started.
 
Rose waved him off. “I wouldn't think of it. We had our talk, Ryo. Remember the bottom line that Chief and I pointed out, and we'll work around the rest. Speaking of working around, I'm about to make it known that for no reason short of direct verbal permission from me, which I'm unlikely to give, Dee is not allowed anywhere near the forensics floor.” He looked over at Dee. “Which also makes me consider to extend it to going to morgues.”
 
Dee tried not to, but could not help the visible relief as it washed over him. “Thank you, sir.” He looked apologetically over to Ryo. “Sorry, partner. But you're more than capable of getting necessary information and more on your own.”
 
“Don't worry about it, Dee.” He gave Dee an impish smirk. “Maybe I'll make you take on the bulk of the paperwork around here to make up for what you won't be doing.” He winked at the Commissioner.
 
“Wha?” Dee exclaimed, then looked at Ryo. “You know, I'm really going to hate this, but….” He let out a heavy sigh. “It's a fair trade.”
 
“You know I'm sitting here and listening to this, Dee,” Rose said, amused. “As a witness.”
 
“Whatever,” Dee mumbled. “Look, I'm trying to do as much of my job for as long as I'm able,” he explained. “But I realize even now, there are some things I'll have to depend on Ryo to get done. And that will only increase as the months go on.”
 
“I'm glad you got the theory down, Dee,” Rose remarked skeptically. “But in time we'll see if you will stick to it in practical use.”
 
Ryo snorted loudly. “Sorry.” He glared at Dee, pointing a finger at him. “You better stick to what you're saying. Because you don't want to deal with me if you don't. Understand?”
 
Dee stared at Ryo, then looked to Rose. “We already know how he gets. You think I want to deal with that directed at me? No thanks.”
 
Rose had to laugh. “This should be interesting. Now I need some answers so I know how to go about these things concerning you, Dee. How long are you both wanting to wait until this becomes public knowledge?”
 
“I'd prefer if we waited another month before everyone knows about Dee,” Ryo started to reply. “But Dee and I have debated this the other week. It's getting harder to keep it from those we work closely with. They're asking too many questions and no matter how much we assure them, they only seem to get more concerned about Dee's health. So Dee and I had already planned on telling everyone who's at our party on Saturday about everything - us, the wedding and the baby.”
 
Rose nodded. “Good. Wait! What wedding?”
 
Dee laughed. “Ryo asked me to marry him on Christmas Eve. And of course, I said yes.”
 
“Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. You're already a family, living together and raising that boy you both adopted. With a child of your own on the way…. Congratulations to the both of you. I'm not going to lie and act like I'm not sorry Ryo is officially off the market….”
 
“I've never been on the market, sir,” Ryo cut in abruptly, reminding him. “I was never interested in you. And for over two years, I've been in a monogamous relationship that I have no intention of leaving.”
 
“Obviously if you're going to marry Dee.” Rose glanced around uncomfortable. “If there's anything you two need, let me know. If there is a place you'd like to have the wedding, but think you can't afford it, or can't get it for the date you want, come to me. I have connections and will do my best to see you both get the wedding you want….” He looked more uncomfortable as he cleared his throat. “And deserve.” He stood up, picking up the chair to put back. His blue eyes settled on Dee. “I'll have to finally admit it. I may have wanted Ryo bad, bad enough to transfer here to attempt getting him….” He paused when Dee's eyes narrowed and his gaze got hard. “Now I know that I could never love him the way you do, Dee. And he could never love me as he does you. Whatever you need for yourself, the baby or the wedding, I'm here to help you anyway I can. Consider that my terms of surrender.”
 
“Just backing off and keeping your hands off Ryo would be enough, sir,” Dee stated evenly.
 
Rose nodded. “Of course. I place myself on the same restriction with Ryo as I have Adams with you. Now, I take it then after your party, it won't matter if others learn of your pregnancy, Dee?”
 
Dee nodded. “Yeah. Starting next week. I'll also start wearing my engagement ring then too. It's killing me leaving it at home, but wearing it now will bring more questions until we're ready to make our announcement to the others, and I don't want to take the chance of losing it by taking it off while I'm here.”
 
“I'd love to see it, Dee. Ryo has exquisite tastes. You're a lucky man, Dee.”
 
“I know. Believe me, I know how lucky I am. And I give thanks everyday for that.”
 
“Sir, what exactly are you planning that you need to know this?” Ryo inquired.
 
“I'll wait until next week before I give word about Dee staying away from forensics, and going into the morgues. Questions are going to be asked, and the truth would be the best course of action. Particularly since you would have told your friends and guests at the party on Saturday night. Don't worry. I am not going to get on the loudspeaker or make a public announcement during roll call about it. I just need to know if I can tell the truth whenever I make concessions for Dee concerning his pregnancy.”
 
“That's fine,” Ryo said, his eyes on Dee, watching him nod. He glanced at the time. “Dee, are you up to taking our visit to do some research now?”
 
“Yeah. I'm fine now.”
 
“Where are you two off to?” Rose asked.
 
“1 Police Plaza,” Dee replied. “We have a lead on the Mercurial case, but our source is not willing to talk to us. Being he's the shady type, Ryo and I are hoping to pull up some dirt on him that will help him be friendlier to us.”
 
“Ah, yes. You might as well call it a day from there. I'll tell Chief Smith you'll both be calling in when you're leaving 1PP.”
 
“Thank you, Commissioner,” Ryo said, getting up to gather the files they would need.
 
“Anything on the Jane Doe yet?” Rose asked.
 
“Nothing. We'll probably go around the area again tomorrow and see if anyone recognizes her picture,” Ryo remarked.
 
“Dee, is the caseload too much for you? Because you can unload one of your cases to Parker and Adams. I'm afraid they both seem to have too much time on their hands lately.”
 
Dee laughed. “I'm fine. We'll get an ID somehow and soon.”
 
“And hopefully who put her in the hospital,” Ryo added. He waved a hand toward the file cabinet with the box of her belongings. “That's her stuff. We just bought it up from forensics. Tomorrow we'll take a closer look at everything and see if there's something we can use.”
 
“Good, good. Fine job as usual. I'll come up with something for Parker and Adams to keep them busy. But if you feel as if it's too much, don't be afraid to pass something onto them anyway.”
 
Ryo pointed to a file box on the corner of Dee's desk that had a pile of folders in it. “We just brought these up this afternoon too and haven't been able to go through them. I'm certain there's a case or two that they could take on.”
 
“Excellent. Have a good afternoon and evening, gentlemen,” Rose said as he took his leave from the office.
 
“Thank you, sir and the same to you,” Ryo said.
 
“Yeah, you too, Commissioner,” Dee said, standing up slowly and stretching. He watched the Commissioner leave, closing the door behind him. After letting out a sigh, he glanced at the briefcase Ryo set on his desk with a thud. “Looks like we're working at home tonight.”
 
“You're going to take a nap first,” Ryo warned him. “Wow!”
 
“Wow what?”
 
“I'm still trying to get used to the Commissioner being nice to you. And handing out compliments.”
 
“Worse than the compliments are the offers of help,” Dee chuckled. “Compliments he managed to pass off, even if in a round about and the most indirect way possible.” He let out a yawn. “And about that nap, I think I'm gonna take you up on it. I could use to lay down a bit.”
 
“Then grab the files for the Mercurial case that we brought up from forensics and let's get going. The sooner we're finished downtown, the sooner we get home.”
 
Dee gathered the folders to place into the leather briefcase Ryo had bought for him as a Finding Day gift the year before. He grabbed his and Ryo's coats, handing Ryo's his. He got his coat on in time for Ryo to place his scarf around his neck and kiss him briefly.
 
“Ready?”
 
Dee nodded, smiling. “Yeah. How's about grabbing take out tonight on the way home tonight?”
 
“I was going to cook, but if we pick something up, that gives me more time to work on the case. Which means we can finish up sooner and I can pamper you,” Ryo said, putting on his own scarf.
 
They grabbed their briefcases and left the office, stopping to lock --> [Author:R] the door. Dee did not reply to Ryo's last statement, but judging from the soft smile on his face, Ryo figured Dee was in the mood for it but not yet able to admit to it yet.
 
~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~
 
A/N: I'm so glad to see new readers and so happy you're enjoying this fic. And returning readers, thank you! *hugs to you all*
 
I'm about to set off on a marathon here - more like a countdown to midnight, New Year's Eve. This chapter is not beta'd - it's still with my beta. And for it all to go through beta, we'd never get this until the end of January. But I decided that just before midnight, EST, I'll be posting the chapter that ends the party. There's only one more chapter after that for The Unexpected I. Yes, I'm working on part 2, but I like to be ahead of myself. So for January, you'll just have to deal with updated chapters already posted as I get the beta version back. Any mistakes will definitely be mine, even if I am reading through it all again right now to catch as many typos possible. I figure everyone might be recovering from the massive updates anyway… :)
 
So tonight you get just one chapter and a warning. Then starting tomorrow the marathon begins. I hope you continue to enjoy it.
 
Additional A/N (12/31/06): The beta for this chapter came back so this is the updated version. I'm yet to send out the other chapters, but as I do and they come back I'll be updating with the beta chapters.
 
 
 
 
 
A little unclear, no idea how to fix - could also be the time I was reading this.
unsure of what you mean?
 
L stopping to lock the door. (only if you want to - preposition and all - don't think it's necessary though.