Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ A Doctor's Visit ( Chapter 19 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
Chapter 19
Doctor's Visit
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
December 30, 2005
 
 
Dee and Ryo entered the waiting room in the clinic with Bikky to find Vince waiting for them.
 
“Good afternoon, gentlemen,” Vince greeting, standing up. “Hello Bikky.”
 
“Hi Doctor Vince,” Bikky greeted.
 
Ryo ruffled the boy's hair and smirked as Bikky pulled away and glared up at him. Dee shook his head in fond amusement.
 
“Bikky has a meeting that starts shortly after this appointment,” Dee explained. “So we bought him along. Then we'll wait for him to be done with his.”
 
Vince nodded approvingly. “That's fine. It's always a good idea for the parents to show up for the first part of the teen group meet-ups. Then after that, Bikky can be on his own, if he wants to continue.” He looked over at Bikky. “Unfortunately most of this appointment is going to be boring, Bikky. I'm just going to do a check on your dad, and draw some blood.” He laughed when Dee made a face.
 
Bikky snickered. “Dee can take being shot better than dealing with needles.”
 
“Hey brat, watch it!” Dee warned, but grinned at the boy, knowing he was telling the truth. He hated blood tests. Not that he really preferred having a bullet in his leg. Yet somehow the moment of impact seemed less than the feeling of being punctured by a needle to draw blood.
 
“He's a big baby,” Ryo supplied, adding to the banter, feeling comfortable around Vince. He patted Dee's shoulder. “Don't worry, baby. I'll be there to hold your hand.”
 
Dee pouted. “For that, you're gonna have to kiss the boo boos Vince makes,” Dee retorted.
 
“Eww,” Bikky remarked, looking up at both Dee and Ryo in a way that Vince could see it was just a routine between the three.
 
“So, there's not much to really see yet, Bikky,” Vince said. “Except when I check out your dad's uterine lining. That might be of some interest.”
 
“That's okay. I told Ryo and Dee that I'd wait out here,” Bikky replied. “Then they'll have to wait for me.”
 
“You can still come in and sit down,” Vince suggested. “That way you can better understand what your dad is going through.”
 
Dee looked at Bikky, who was turning to him and Ryo. “I don't mind if you want to.”
 
Dee had always been the one to give the straight forward replies to Bikky and was not about to change that with his pregnancy. It was more crucial than ever, Dee and Ryo already having discussed and agreed upon including Bikky in on Dee's appointments whenever possible. The baby Dee was carrying may be his and Ryo's biological child, but they were going to do everything they could to assure Bikky he was still very much their son.
 
“Really?” Bikky asked. He looked over to Ryo to see if his reply would be different.
 
“You'll probably find most of it boring, but you might learn something too,” Ryo said. “As long as you stay out of Vince's way, I don't see why you can't go in.”
 
“Cool!”
 
Vince laughed. “Fine boy you both have there,” he remarked, liking this family that was fast becoming more than just a patient with his loved ones. It may be a first pregnancy for this family, but they would be spared some of the first time anxieties other new families would experience.
 
He lead them into the examination room. Bikky was settled in a chair in a corner where he could watch. Ryo stood a little away from Dee, as Vince did a basic check up on Dee. Vince then drew some blood. Bikky laughed hard at Dee, who made faces, and muttered curses under his breath. Ryo shook his head patiently, sometimes making a face back at Dee, who would start to laugh.
 
“Okay Dee,” Vince announced once his supplies for drawing blood was put away and the tubes with Dee's blood labeled. “So what is this beautiful ring Dee is wearing that I haven't noticed before about?” Vince asked.
 
Ryo smiled. “Something I should have done before getting Dee pregnant. We're becoming a real family.”
 
“If I didn't get pregnant, given time, I'm sure we would have gotten married some year,” Dee said with a wink.
 
He allowed Vince to take his hand to get a better look at the ring. “That's really nice. And that Celtic love knot. Says it all. Looks like you have a man with great tastes,” Vince told Dee.
 
“Of course I do,” Ryo said, moving to stand closer to Dee. “I fell in love with Dee after all.”
 
“Oh please,” Bikky grumbled from his seat.
 
Dee and Ryo let out a collective sigh, then grinned at each other. They loved Bikky the way he was and wouldn't have him any other way, as long as he stayed away from illegal activities and reasons to give them gray hair before their time.
 
“Okay Dee,” Vince announced. “Time to take off your shirt and let's see how's it coming since settling.”
 
Dee looked back at Bikky, who grinned a cheshire cat grin.
 
“I know you've been trying to hide that bump,” the boy stated, then laughed at Dee's face.
 
“C'mon Dee,” Ryo cajoled. “Let Vince check you out.”
 
With a sigh, Dee started to unbutton his shirt, then pulled it out from his pants. He took his shirt off and handed it to Ryo to hold.
 
“Oh!” Vince exclaimed. “You're developing very well, Dee. But the tee-shirt has to go too. I'm going to do an examination that will be almost like an ultrasound, but it's not as strong. I need to see the walls of the uterine sac to make sure there are no flaws in it,” he further explained as Dee started to remove his tee shirt.
 
Upon removing the tee, Ryo took it from him, a tender smile on his face as he gazed lovingly at Dee's bare front.
 
Vince placed his hands on Dee's slightly swollen abdomen. “Nice and firm. Good. You look great, Dee.”
 
“I'm getting fat,” Dee muttered, then glanced up through his thick, long eyelashes at Ryo, as if expecting the other man's reaction.
 
“Nonsense, Dee. You look beautiful,” Ryo said, then without turning his head, said to Bikky behind him, “Don't you start or it'll be your last visit here.”
 
“Gee, I was just going to say it really looks like Dee's having a baby,” Bikky remarked in a tone of voice that said otherwise. Upon really looking at one of the two men Bikky saw as his fathers for the first time in a week without a shirt on, he did a double take. “You do, Dee, “ he laughed. “A little but still, without your shirt on, you do.”
 
Ryo grinned and gestured for the boy to come stand beside him. Vince was still poking the slight curve Dee's swollen abdomen. “It was a bit scary for you both,” Vince said to both Dee and Bikky, “but look at the good it's done that day. There's a nice firm uterine sac for your baby brother or sister to grow nice and healthy in.”
 
Bikky's eyes were wide. “Dee, you weren't like that last week.”
 
Dee shook his head. “Not until Thursday. It had been firming up since. Now I feel pregnant, and I look pregnant.”
 
“I'd say you're pregnant,” Ryo said lovingly, and leaned over to kiss Dee's cheek.
 
For once, Bikky made no protest, even if in joke, at the display of affection. He grinned up at Dee. “Dee, can I touch?” he asked.
 
“Only if Vince is finished for now, kiddo.”
 
“Go ahead, Bikky. Say hello to your brother or sister,” Vince said.
 
Bikky tentatively placed his fingers on Dee's belly. “Cool!” he exclaimed. He looked up at Dee and grinned. “It's too hard to be fat,” he added.
 
Dee smiled and gently ruffled Bikky's head. “Now when you go to your meeting, I want you to remember what we talked about last night.”
 
Bikky nodded his head vigorously. “Sure Dee. I can't wait until next week.”
 
“Only if Dee and I feel you're prepared,” Ryo warned Bikky, placing a hand on his son's shoulder. “So for once in your life, do things the proper way. Take example from Dee, because if Dee could learn doing that sometimes, anyone could.” He winked playfully at Dee.
 
Bikky laughed at the glare Dee gave Ryo.
 
Vince pulled a table with a machine on it next to the examination table Dee sat on. “Bikky, could you move back just a little please?” Vince asked. “No, don't move away completely.”
 
Bikky looked from Dee to Vince as he moved. Ryo had been standing next to Dee opposite of the table. He reached out to pull Bikky to stand in front of him, placing his arm loosely around the dark-skinned boy's neck.
 
“We're going to see pictures,” Vince stated. “None of baby yet. I suggest waiting at least another month or two. But right now, as I mentioned before, I need to make sure the baby's new temporary home is sound.”
 
Dee frowned, looking concerned. “What if it isn't?” he asked abruptly.
 
“Don't worry, Dee,” Vince assured him. “This is why we do the test. Most flaws can be corrected and hold a healthy baby until birth. Especially if caught this close to settling. Assuming there is a problem. Most times there isn't. This is only a precaution. Just like all your appointments until birth are.” He grinned devilishly at Dee. “Also like all your phone calls. I'd rather you doing that than feeling silly and not calling, only for it to turn out to be something serious, but could have been corrected if you did call me.”
 
Dee nodded as Ryo placed an assuring arm around Dee's shoulders. “Just let Vince do his job while you sit back and relax,” Ryo said in his calm, tranquil way. “If there's any need for worry, I trust Vince to tell us. Okay love? Because we already know too much stressing won't be good for the baby.” His arm slipped down so he could rub Dee's back in soothing circles. He leaned in to kiss Dee's temple. “Now isn't this exciting? We're going to see what Dee's body formed to protect and carry the baby.”
 
“Yeah, I guess,” Bikky said, then looked up so he could look at both Ryo and Dee. “But I wanna see the baby.”
 
Dee nodded in agreement, smiling at the teen. “Me too, sport. But Ryo's right. This is important too.”
 
“Good,” Vince stated, uncapping a tube of jelly. “I have a cooperating patient.” He met Dee's eyes. “I'm never going to bs you or Ryo, Dee. And if you give me permission, I can do the same for the munchkin here.” His eyes indicated Bikky.
 
“Yeah,” Dee said at the same time Ryo replied, “You have it.” Both men sounded relieved.
 
“Lay back, Dee. This is going to be cold as hell and will tickle too,” he warned.
 
With a sigh, Dee started to lower himself to lay on the table. He felt Ryo's hand steadying his back. Dee started to open his mouth to say he could still do that on his own with no help. Then he looked up at Ryo and all he could do was smile, allowing the assistance. The look on Ryo's face said he did not want to just stand there and merely watch. He wanted to be as much a part of this as he could. As soon as his back touched the padding, he grabbed his partner's hands, holding them in his and smiled up at Ryo. “I love you,” he said softly.
 
“Love you too,” Ryo smiled back at him.
 
Vince cleared his throat. Both looked over to the amused doctor. “I didn't want to just place this on Dee without warning. But Dee, you may want to let go of Ryo as soon as we have a visual if you're interested to see the outer hull of your baby.”
 
Ryo chuckled warmly and leaned over to plant a brief kiss on Dee's forehead. The sudden look of inner warmth and tenderness that schooled Dee's features was too irresistible for Ryo. Once again, in the three weeks since they found out about the baby, Ryo found himself falling in love all over again with Dee. It was becoming a familiar, but much welcome feeling to Ryo.
 
Dee looked over to Vince. “Why would I have to let go?”
 
“So he can support your head so you don't get a kink in your neck if you want to look,” Vince remarked, still looking amused. “Because I need you flat on this table to get a good look at the outside of the uterine sac.”
 
“Is it going to look all gory and disgusting?” Bikky asked, leaning over to look at the machine closer.
 
“Like you don't see enough of that in your movies and video games,” Dee remarked.
 
“I'm not alone watching and playing lots of time,” Bikky rebuffed. “Besides, you've seen gorier in real life.”
 
Ryo chuckled at the exchange, glad that his son did not feel he had to mention the few things Bikky saw that no kid his age should see even once. “Bikky, the baby is going to look gory when it's born,” he said softly, squeezing Dee's hands.
“That's why I'm gonna be waiting outside until the baby is cleaned,” Bikky replied.
 
“Good idea, Bikky,” Vince agreed with a laugh as he winked at Dee and Ryo. “Here we go, Dee.”
 
Vince lowered what looked like a microphone with a flat pad onto Dee's stomach. Dee tensed up from the sudden cold. Ryo released Dee's hands to start rubbing his shoulder.
 
“Shit, that feels weird,” Dee remarked, trying to look down at it.
 
“What does it feel like Dee?” Vince asked.
 
“Freakin' cold, and gritty…” he broke off to let out an involuntary giggle as Vince moved it around his stomach, “…and tickles.”
 
With his other hand, Vince fiddled with some dials until he got a fuzzy image on the monitor.
 
Ryo let out a gasp, his fingers digging into Dee's shoulder a little. “Oh my,” he exclaimed.
 
“Oh wow,” Bikky remarked, wide eyes on the screen.
 
Dee craned his head to look. “What?”
 
Ryo placed his hands under Dee's neck to support him in lifting his head without moving too much of the rest of his body. “Look, Dee. It's amazing that's inside you,” he said, sounding awed. The fingers of the hand behind Dee's head lightly caressed the fine hairs on Dee's neckline.
 
Dee's eyes finally settled on the monitor and his mouth dropped open. Dark green eyes shifted from the monitor down to his stomach and then back to the image. “That's the uterine sac?” he croaked. When Vince nodded with a smile, he asked, “And there's a baby in there?”
 
“Oh definitely,” Vince assured him, amused. “We wouldn't be seeing this if there was no baby.”
 
“M-my baby?” His eyes left the screen for a moment to smile up at Ryo. “Our baby?”
 
Ryo nodded, swallowing thickly. “Yes,” his managed around the lump in his throat. He leaned over to kiss Dee's forehead.
 
Vince was moving the device around on Dee's stomach, making him giggle and tense again, the image in the screen changing. “All's looking fine, Dee. It's solid, study. No flaws or malformations.”
 
“Holy shit…” Dee whispered, his eyes once more on the screen, feeling Ryo's head close to his.
 
“You think this is something, wait until you get to see the baby inside,” Vince stated, his eyes taking in every detail on the screen. “It's looking excellent. The umbilical cord is formed and attached to your digestive system. The uterine sac is firmly settled in place. I see no reason for concern of it dropping or moving to a dangerous location. The cord that the baby was initially attached to your urinary system is gone. Not that it's going to stop you from running to the bathroom less, mind you. The bigger that and your baby grows, it most definitely will be putting some pressure on your bladder. So get used to frequent trips to the bathroom.”
 
“Hear that, Bikky,” Dee said with a laugh. “You can't be hogging up the bathroom all the time. You wouldn't make me run all the way into the bedroom, would you?”
 
Bikky smirked at Dee. “When you're big and fat and can hardly move, that sounds like fun to watch.”
 
Dee's mouth dropped open. Vince let out a hearty laugh. Ryo ended up snorting in his attempt to keep from laughing. Dee's eyes shifted to Ryo.
 
“See? You do know I'm gonna be fat,” he accused.
 
Ryo let out a laugh. “We went through this already. If you think you're going to be nice and slim until you have that baby, you're asking for one very unhealthy baby. We already agreed you're gonna be big. But no, I don't agree with Bikky. You won't be fat.”
 
“You've got a smart man there for the other father of this baby, Dee,” Vince said. “But having been in your position twice, I'll have to admit it's not easy feeling anything other than fat at times. Until you start feeling the baby moving inside. Then suddenly everything else doesn't matter.”
 
“Guess I have to get used to the rugrat and his remarks then,” Dee muttered. “He's going to have his fun no matter what.”
 
“Aw Dee,” Bikky said, big blue eyes settled on him. “You know if I didn't like you, it wouldn't be as much fun to make fun of you.”
 
“Unfortunately I know exactly how you feel, monkeybrat,” Dee remarked, then winked He looked back at Vince. “So everything's fine then? This thing will hold up for another seven months?”
 
“It will hold very well and grow along with the baby's needs,” Vince replied. “Everything is as it should be right now. All connections are made. From here on, it's just having the baby form and grow.”
 
Dee dropped his head back, being supported solely by Ryo's hand on his neck, and relaxed visibly. “Thank God,” he muttered.
 
“Let me wrap things up here,” Vince said. “Then you could get dressed.”
 
Silently the family watched the monitor as Vince completed his scan. Bikky had moved closer, placing a dark skinned hand on Dee's arm. The silence was broken only once when Bikky was unable to restrain himself from saying, “Oh wow! I can't wait to tell Carol about this.” Dee and Ryo shared a loving smile, before their eyes went fondly to Bikky. The other biggest worry they both had upon learning about the baby was how Bikky would take the news. The more excited he got over the baby, the happier they were in knowing Bikky saw the baby as only an addition to their family and not his replacement.
 
 
Once Dee was sitting up, and in his shirt, with the machine put away, Vince started to ask Dee more questions. How bad was his morning sickness, what times of the day it hit. If there was anything that bought the sickness on. Did Dee suffer from heartburn or gas. Vince asked about Dee's eating habits, if he made any alterations to his old patterns. Did he quit smoking yet. Any cravings set in. Along with a barrage of many others. Dee and Ryo both answered the questions, Dee sometimes looking over to Ryo, who kept better track of some things than he did.
 
“All right now,” Vince said with a nod as he finished recording the last of their replies to Dee's medical record. “It seems like such a far off thing, since we still have seven months, but let's talk about a due date and what that means to you, Dee.”
 
Ryo nodded and Dee grinned. “Late July, isn't it?” Dee asked.
 
“It's not that hard to get an approximate due date,” Vince stated. He looked over to Ryo. “So what did you come up with?”
 
“July 30th,” Ryo replied.
 
Vince nodded. “Good enough. I was going to say July 29th. Which is the date we'll go by. A day doesn't seem like it would make a difference. And for female pregnancies it doesn't, since the labor can be from anywhere from a week before to weeks after. In the case of a male, you don't have the option Dee. Many will say that settling is compensation for you not having to go through the entire labor ordeal.”
 
Dee nodded, remembering how he felt the week before. Being a cop, he had also assisted in enough deliveries to see what a woman went through in labor. Once he had to assist a male who went into premature labor. The contractions seemed the same as a woman, but it was more crucial that they got the man to a hospital for a c-section. There was no other option, unless Dee and his partner at the time felt like taking out their knives and randomly cut the poor man's stomach open. Thankfully they had gotten him to the hospital with more than enough time to be prepped and deliver a healthy baby boy through c-section. He had also once been stuck with a woman through her labor, unable to get her to a hospital quick enough. He had arrived at the accident scene to find her labor was speeded up and Dee found himself announcing to her that it was a girl as he held a squirming, crying, bloodied newborn in his arms. Settling, he decided was far more painful than labor. It was as if those men who were given the ability to have children had to pay more than their dues.
 
“You also should not feel guilty in thinking that it's worse than female labor just because it was you going through it. It's been proven in studies that settling is far more painful and at times last longer than the average female labor,” Vince explained. “But just because you're a man, does not mean you can't go into labor either.”
 
“I know. I was once called to assist getting this guy to a hospital because he went into labor,” Dee replied.
 
Ryo was nodding his head vigorously. “Me too,” he remarked.
 
“Which is why that one day makes a difference. That date will help us calculate the day I'll be penciling in your appointment for the c-section. I say penciling, because as the months go on, I might determine we need to push it up by a few days. To lessen the chances of you going into labor.” Vince saw Dee's face fall. “Now you just said you've assisted men in labor. We try to avoid it, because yes, it's a risk if the labor goes on too long. There's no way out for the baby except through the c-section, and yes, if the baby isn't delivered within a certain time frame, it can die, and sometimes kill the carrier.”
 
Dee nodded and gulped. Ryo noticed Dee looked pale. “Are you okay? Feeling ill again?”
 
Dee shook his head. “I just want to make sure I'm having that baby long before any labor decides to hit,” he said. “That's all. All this talk of not getting to a hospital in time and endangering the baby just unsettles me.”
 
Ryo pulled Dee into a hug. “Dee, we're in New York City. Sure we delivered babies thanks to car crashes and traffic jams, but I don't see any reason why we won't be able to get you to the hospital at the first sign of labor. Remember most of those women are told to wait, so they're well in labor by the time we arrived on a scene.”
 
“But that one guy. I was so damn scared we weren't going to get him to a hospital in time,” Dee whispered.
 
More than the one guy, his mind was on Rose and his partner Tyler. Tyler, who went into labor while they were inside a warehouse late a night, chasing after some suspects. Rose, caught up with worry and concern for Tyler, was shot because he was not paying full attention to their surrounding. They managed to get themselves in a room, tightly locked up against the perps. But they heard movement from outside the room and did not dare leave. It turned into a standoff between the perps inside and the police, called in by radio from inside the room they hide in. Rose was too injured to attempt trying to get out. At first Tyler was too stubborn, refusing to leave his partner alone, then was in too much pain to make the attempt. Rose was able to recover completely from the gunshot, but not from the emotional wounds of that day. Tyler and his baby never made it.
 
It was that tale that Rose had told Dee about during their first private meeting upon Rose learning Dee was pregnant. Once in a while, Rose would gently remind Dee of it, in hopes that Dee would not be as stubborn and thickheaded while remaining active duty during his pregnancy. Dee wanted with his heart and soul not to make the mistakes Tyler had, but knew his personality enough that he feared one day instinct would carry him through, rather than common sense. He had considered placing himself on light duty, but knew that would only drive him insane. The well being of his emotional state was also crucial to the baby's health. He decided he would stay on active duty as long as he was permitted, learning to make concessions along the way. The first had happened the day before, when it was agreed upon that only Ryo would go to forensics and make visits inside the morgues, fishing for information, while Dee would take on more of the paperwork to balance. As long as he was not always stuck behind a desk, and found himself along with his partner doing legwork for a case, he decided he could live with that.
 
Ryo's hold on Dee tightened and he felt Ryo's lips on his forehead. “Then we'll both make sure you don't find yourself in any of those situations.”
 
He knew Ryo meant the situation that were common calls through dispatch. Dee knew Ryo would have to know eventually about Tyler. Not yet. Until then, he swore Rose to silence. Rose made a deal with Dee - as long the stubborn dark haired detective did not do anything stupid or life threatening to himself or the baby and Rose would wait until Dee decided to tell Ryo. The moment Dee did anything that could potentially be a danger to the baby while in the line of duty, Rose made it quite clear the deal was off. Dee had to agree with those terms. It seemed fair enough to him.
 
Lately he found he had been doing that quite often - giving in, agreeing to some things he never had before, deciding it sounded fair to him. Amazing how his way of thinking could alter just because he knew he was no longer thinking for just himself, knowing his unborn child depended on those decisions he made. Hopefully it was strong enough that when finally faced with that one moment, his instinct would actually agree with common sense, because hopefully instinct would be to protect the baby first.
 
“You're right.” He took a deep breath. “So what date are we penciling in?” he asked, getting the back on track.
 
“In most cases when a male goes into labor, it's within five days of the projected due date,” Vince stated, sitting at a table with his laptop. “So for now, you'll be coming in here on July 24th, time to be determined, assuming we don't change the date to have that baby.”
 
“Oh,” was all Dee was able to say.
 
Ryo was holding him tightly again, head resting against his. “July 24th,” he said softly. “Sounds like a good day to me.”
 
Dee nodded.
 
“Me too,” Bikky agreed. “I won't be at basketball camp then.” He looked over to Ryo and Dee. “And I don't want to go to any other type of camp this year. I want to stay home.”
 
Ryo chuckled. “That could be worked out. As long as you agree to help out more before, and give us a hand with the baby after.”
 
Bikky nodded his head. “I'm not saying I want more chores to do, but….” He looked over to Dee with a questioning look in his eyes.
 
“Get over here, brat,” Dee said. As Bikky came over to stand before Dee, he said, “I hear ya, loud and clear.”
 
Ryo reached out to stroke Bikky's arm affectionately. Dee's eyes met his son's. “So what about it, bud? July 24th sound like a good day for you to become a big brother?”
 
Bikky nodded and suddenly flung himself at Dee to hug him. Ryo smiled, seeing Dee was not at all surprised and was prepared to catch the boy and hug him back. Ryo rubbed their son's upper back soothingly.
 
“July 24th then,” Ryo announced. “That's the day our family will have a new addition.”
 
Bikky pulled away from Dee to give Ryo a quick hug too. “Wow!” Bikky exclaimed again.
 
“Yeah, wow,” Ryo laughed. “I know, you can't wait to tell Carol.”
 
Dee leaned back in his chair and started to laugh.
 
 
*** *** ***
 
Their evening out was almost over. Dee was looking a little tired, despite his having a good time. He needed to get off his feet soon, and relax. Especially with the next day looming before them. Dee had proven himself the one to handle parties for larger crowds. Seeing the significance of this particular party, Dee had been treating it as much more than a New Year's Eve party for friends. Both Ryo and Dee had sat down and considered all their guests tastes and styles. While most of them would be happy if they only served chips and dips, along with some meat, even if in the form of hot dogs, some of the others were used to more sophisticated tastes. While still remembering they were now budgeting more than ever before, foreseeing the added expenses of the baby, and planning a wedding, they did spend more than they planned for the party. Ryo knew he would still be a nervous wreck the next day, but it would be more because of worrying over Dee overdoing himself, and Ryo trying to help out as much as he could. During a quiet moment at work that morning, Ryo had sat down at his desk and worked out a timetable for the next day. He did not tell Dee about it yet. He planned to put it up on the fridge and do his best that they stick to it.
 
When they finished this last game Ryo was waiting for, they would be heading home. Bikky would get his overnight bag that was already packed, then leave to meet Carol. He was to spend the night at Carol's. The two teens would return early Saturday afternoon to help prepare for the party. Ryo and Dee previously agreed that Bikky could have his own party inside his room and flowing out to the extra hall space on that side of the apartment that they temporarily called the den.
 
After Bikky got out of his meeting, all hyper and excited, they went out for dinner. Ryo noticed how at times Bikky displayed a new found protectiveness over Dee. He started a little the week before after the settling, but not as noticeable as it was that night. It was Dee's suggestion to hit up the arcade as a treat. It was a fun night, a family night for the two fathers and their son, sometimes talking about the new addition to their family.
 
Bikky had asked at one point what Dee and Ryo hoped the baby would be. Bikky said a boy, so he could teach him basketball and other boy things, but admitted having a little sister would be fun too. Dee stated immediately he hoped it was a girl, but would be thankful for a boy too as long as the baby was healthy. Bikky looked at Dee surprised at his reply, thinking for certain Dee would have said boy. Dee admitted ever since Christmas Eve and spending time with little Dani, he wanted a little girl like her. Ryo had to ponder over the question. He thought having a girl would be nice because then they would have a son and a daughter. However if it was a boy, Bikky would enjoy having a little brother and for all the reasons Bikky had mentioned. At last, Ryo announced it didn't matter to him, as long as it was healthy and slept at nights. Dee laughed, agreeing with Ryo.
 
Ryo frowned as he heard his cell phone ring. He was waiting his turn to play the winner of the current racing game in the arcade they had settled in after dinner. Dee was concentrating too hard on attempting to beat Bikky, and not crashing in a curve to notice.
 
“Hello,” he answered.
 
“Ryo, sweetie!” he heard Diana greet.
 
“Oh! Hi, Diana. How's it going?”
 
“Good. Just fine. Just wanted to let you know I arrived in New York this morning. You and Dee were already gone by the time I got to the precinct. Berkeley told me Dee had his after settling appointment today.”
 
“He did,” Ryo replied.
 
“And of course, you wanted to be there with him,” Diana purred. “You're gonna make such a fine papa, Ryo.”
 
“I like to hope that I'm already that. We do have Bikky.”
 
“Yes. And you're doing a fine job with him. But you got Bikky already grown some. A baby will be different.”
 
“I know,” Ryo laughed. “I told Dee I plan to spend more time at the orphanage helping with the younger ones, to get some practice in. I don't know near enough about babies as Dee does. But he's not going to do all the work once the baby is born. I expect us to both pull our weight.”
 
“You'll do fine, Ryo. I know you. You never do anything half-assed. And you said yourself, Dee will know what he's doing. If there's anything you're uncertain about, I'm sure Dee will gladly give you some tips. So how did it go today? How's the baby doing?”
 
“It went very well. Vince declared it an uncomplicated pregnancy so far. The rest depends on Dee now. So long as he does what he's supposed to and doesn't push himself, there shouldn't be any problems other than the usual.”
 
“Then it will stay uncomplicated because you'll make sure you have a say in it,” Diana laughed.
 
“Dee knows that too,” Ryo said, then laughed. “But so far he's doing good on his own. He tries to push himself, he ends up needing to take a nap soon after.”
 
“Good, good. That's so wonderful to hear. So tell me, darling one. How did the proposal go? You did ask, did you? `Cause if you tell me you chickened out….”
 
Ryo laughed again, as he noticed Dee look back at him in question. He mouthed, `Diana' to Dee, then replied, “No, I didn't chicken out. I asked him. Exactly how I planned it. According to Dee, it was quite moving. So I guess I did it right. But I'll let him tell you when you see him. Which hopefully will be tomorrow, since you're in New York and calling me?”
 
“Yes. I wanted to let you know I'll definitely be there. I don't want to miss the major event.”
 
“Great. We'll be glad to see you then.”
 
“Okay, Sandra Dee. Damn, I really do need to find you a new name,” she chuckled. “Just wanted to check in and RSVP. Love to you and Dee. I'll see you tomorrow, about 7ish?”
 
“That's fine. See you then, Diana.” He hung up the phone, smiling as Dee came over to him. “It's your turn. The brat barely beat me. Get him good.”
 
Ryo looked over to the smug look on Bikky's face and chuckled. “I guess it's time once more for the lecture that real driving is not like these games, so he really doesn't know how to drive better than us. Along with the additional note that we don't see too many high speed chases in New York City.”
 
Dee chuckled as he nodded his head. “Best delivered by you. I don't know why he laughs at me when I try. You're the speed demon.”
 
“And you're the impatient one, yelling curses out the window and trying to squeeze around the other cars in front of you.”
 
Dee shrugged. “It's not like he's done much riding in a car with us. Anyway, go cream his ass. I'll get us some refreshments.”
 
Ryo gave Dee a mock salute. “Will do. Then we leave after this. You're looking a little tired.”
 
Dee sighed. “I'm having too much fun,” he said, almost pouting.
 
Ryo laughed and leaned in to kiss Dee's cheek. “Now now. We already have one child, with another on the way. I don't need three kids to raise alone.'
 
Dee's eyes were wide as he looked around the busy arcade. “Damn, Ryo. Give me heart failure and you'll only have one.”
 
Ryo laughed, placing an arm around Dee's waist and pulling him close. Long gone was the uncomfortable feeling and worrying what others will think. He had the man he loved in his arm, gazing at him with that shocked expression that Ryo loved to see, and would drive him crazy with passion. He kissed Dee again, then whispered in his ear, “Get used to it, as much as I'd hate seeing that sweet look on your face disappear, because this is how it's going to be from here on. Especially after tomorrow night. No more hiding, ever. We're getting married and you're carrying our child. I never want to deny the vows we're going to take, or our child.”
 
“Well, in that case,” Dee put his arms around Ryo and kissed him. “This okay?”
 
Ryo nodded. He went to kiss Dee back when they heard Bikky exclaim, “Hey you two. In public. And now we have to wait for the next game since I had to give up the game because you two can't keep your hands off each other.
 
Ryo and Dee looked at each other smiling. “I guess I better go wait with him,” Ryo remarked.
 
“And I get the drinks. Be back soon.” Dee's eyes opened wide again when he felt his backside get a quick squeeze before Ryo released him and went over to Bikky. He let out a laugh as he watched Ryo's back for a moment before going over to the snack bar.
 
*** *** ***
 
The three were walking down Seventh Avenue in Times Square toward the subway station when they noticed JJ and Drake coming over to them.
 
“What's up, dudes?” Dee greeted as the five pulled over to the side.
 
Drake shrugged. “Not much. Just going for some drinks. At that bar we used to go to, Dee.”
 
Dee looked at Drake, then JJ and chuckled. “Both hoping to pick up dates, huh?”
 
“Be nice to have a real date for your party tomorrow,” Drake shrugged.
 
“Even if I was lucky enough to meet someone tonight,” JJ said, his eyes on Ryo, “I still wouldn't show up at the party with him. Hopefully I can get a dance in at midnight with you, Dee?”
 
Bikky was glaring at JJ and suddenly pushed his way to stand before Dee. “I don't think so, JJ. You keep your hands off Dee, pervert.”
 
Ryo's mouth dropped open for a second, then he had to keep himself from laughing. He watched as Dee placed his hands on Bikky's shoulders.
 
“You heard the munchkin. Sorry, JJ but get it through your thick head that it's not going to happen. You have a better chance of dancing with Drake than me.”
 
“Hey! Keep me outta this,” Drake complained. “Dance with JJ. Damn, Dee you're weird. Of course, maybe JJ could dance with Ryo instead?” he laughed.
 
“Oh hell no,” Ryo and JJ exclaimed in unison.
 
Dee glared at Ryo. “Don't you start reading his mind.”
 
“Well…” He glanced at JJ, then back to Dee. “Think about it, Dee. Would you rather we said something else?”
 
Dee shook his head. “No. And no, Drake's not dancing with you either.”
 
“I see you have the kiddo with you tonight,” Drake stated. “Otherwise, I'd invite the two of you to join us. I mean, it looks like you're both going to be seeing in another New Year dateless. How much longer is this going to go on?”
 
Dee bit his lip, while Ryo's mouth was a thin line, both men trying to keep from laughing and saying a smart ass comment that would give themselves away before their time.
 
“That's okay, Drake,” Ryo finally said. “I'll have my best friend who will always be with me through thick and thin, unlike a quick pick up.”
 
Dee nodded his head. “What he said. Me too.”
 
“Sure you don't want to join us, Dee?” JJ asked, hopefully. “I mean, Bikky is Ryo's kid. He can take him home and you can go out and have some fun.”
 
“Bikky's my kid too,” Dee remarked.
 
“But that was for insurance purposes and stuff, like in case something happened to Ryo, he wouldn't be placed in some awful place, since you'll still have him,” JJ said.
 
“Whatever. Nothing will happen to Ryo,” Dee snapped. “And I'd appreciate it if you don't talk about things like that in front of Bikky.” He gently shoved Bikky forward between Drake and JJ. “I'll see you two tomorrow.”
 
Drake patted Ryo on his shoulder, pulling his attention from JJ. Ryo had been glaring at JJ as if he was contemplating the best way to knock his head off. “Sorry about him, Ryo. Just don't hurt him. He is my partner.”
 
“My condolences then,” Ryo remarked. He looked back at JJ, starting to take a step over to the smaller detective, then stopped himself. “You know what, JJ? I'll see you tomorrow night.” He grinned at JJ and winked, before moving between JJ and Drake to follow Dee and Bikky. “Good night, Drake and good luck.”